Wilson (2017) Poster

(I) (2017)

A rare gem of a comedy these days
Kieran W28 May 2017
Don't let the negative reviews put you off. I really can't understand what people have against this comedy, it is quite a breath of fresh air since comedy has changed so much in recent years and has become quite lazy.

This is a movie you really have to give a chance. These days if you find it hard to come across a new comedy movie you actually like, this movie had me laughing at more scenes than not. If you feel these days like comedy movies have lost something, like the set up of jokes and lines that are actually smart and funny then this might be the movie for you. If you like satire, sarcastic type humour that pokes fun at today's society and you are not too sensitive to swearing, you will enjoy it.

The plot is simple, but put across in heartfelt yet hysterical way. Wilson is a very blunt lonely man who has fell out of place in today's society, largely down to the fact he is a bit of a technophobe when it comes to computers and smart phones. He prefers good old fashioned human contact and he yearns for it throughout. All he wants is a regular family, which thanks to his ex wife he missed the chance on having years ago.

I'd say the movie seems to be more put towards a British audience with the style of humour, its cracks at religion and the world today and even the strong language used throughout but used intelligently.

The only reason I haven't give this movie a higher rating is due to the rather rushed ending it had. Otherwise I'd have given it a ten.
41 out of 52 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
It's Wilson's world. We're just living in it.
Dave McClain2 April 2017
In 1944, legendary Hollywood producer Daryl F. Zanuck made a movie called "Wilson", a biopic about our highly educated, dignified and visionary 28th President – and the film went on to win the Academy Award for Best Picture. 2017's "Wilson" (R, 1:34) is NOT a remake of that film. Not even a little. The more recent "Wilson" is also not a spin-off of "Cast Away". The title character in 2017's "Wilson" doesn't have any of the qualities of that President who led us through World War I and who established the forerunner of the United Nations (except maybe for… honesty). And this Wilson has much more personality that Tom Hanks' famous volleyball buddy. This Wilson is more like a less volatile cousin of Michael Douglas' character in 1993's "Falling Down"… and is like a half-brother to Bill Murray's character in 2014's "St. Vincent". But, notwithstanding those cinematic comparisons, "Wilson", as portrayed by Woody Harrelson, is an original and unique character and one who I wish I could be like… sometimes.

Wilson is a lonely middle-aged man with a lot of faults, but he doesn't mean any harm. Wilson is honest… to a fault. He's impulsive… to a fault. He's even empathetic… to… well, you get the point. You see, it's Wilson's world and we're just living in it. He'll stop a stranger walking her dog, talk only to the dog – in a cutesy animal voice – and then act confused when the woman yanks her dog away and looks at Wilson like he's a weirdo. Wilson will ride a virtually empty train, sit right next to a businessman wearing earbuds, interrogate him about his life and not feel the least bit uncomfortable when the man forcefully asks Wilson to go sit somewhere else. Wilson is also the kind of person who will go visit an old friend in hopes of renewing their relationship but then change his mind and calmly tell his friend that he had forgotten what a joyless and unkind person his friend really is. But in spite of all this, the most important thing to know about Wilson is that he just wants to be loved… on his own terms, of course.

One fine day, Wilson decides to go looking for his ex-wife, Pippi (Laura Dern). He remembers Pippi as basically a crack whore – and that's how he describes her to everyone he encounters who he thinks might know her. With the help of Pippi's very WASPy sister (Cheryl Hines), Wilson is able to track Pippi down to her waitress job, where she is using a different name, but is still kind of a mess. Pippi is none too happy to see Wilson – or to endure the problems that his presence causes for her at work – but she still falls right back into bed with him. That's when she reveals that she had Wilson's baby sixteen years before and put her up for adoption. Wilson is beyond excited that he's a father and talks Pippi into coming with him to find their daughter, a surly, heavy-set girl named Claire (Isabella Amara). Claire lives with upper-middle-class adopted parents who neglect her… but she's still not thrilled to meet and be stalked by Wilson and Pippi. Nevertheless, Wilson is thrilled to have an "instant family" and won't give up on Pippi or Claire. And with a man like Wilson driving this train… what could possibly go wrong?? "Wilson" is wonderfully crude, funny and heart-felt. Wilson acts like we all wish we could act… sometimes. Personally, I envy his fearlessness and his ability to be himself and not care what other people think. Of course, he's also a jerk, he knows it and he doesn't care, so that part… not quite as admirable. In adapting his own innovative graphic novel of the same name, American cartoonist Daniel Clowes gives us a fully-drawn character who never really changes who he is as a person, but who still manages some growth. As directed by Craig Johnson ("The Skeleton Twins") and starring the versatile Harrelson, we get a fully realized character who is equal parts funny and obnoxious, but who still comes off as sympathetic. Besides the usual great work by the star, Dern gives a transformative performance and Amara shines in her most significant role to date. Margo Martindale, Mary Lynn Rajskub, Brett Gelman and (especially) Judy Greer contribute strong supporting performances. "Wilson" is an enjoyable foray into an uninhibited mind – and a reminder why we wouldn't really want to live that way. "A-"
38 out of 52 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A pleasant surprise
Gordon-119 June 2017
This film tells the story of a man who believes in human communication through conversation and physical interaction. People think he is a weirdo, but all he really wants is to connect with another soul, and be remembered by after he leaves the mortal world.

"Wilson" sounds like a silly and forgettable comedy, but it actually is way seller and thought provoking than it appears. It points out the fact that people being nice to each other unconditionally is a forgotten art, and even socially unacceptable in some circumstances. Wilson's deep desire to connect with others certainly connected and resonated with me, and I find myself reflecting upon the current state of human interaction in the modern world. The story is bittersweet, and I really enjoyed it. It's a pleasant and unexpected surprise.
18 out of 25 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Very good film
bykou27 November 2017
A close view to people they try manage their unbearable lives. An interesting scenario with turns and Woody as always great, simple and to the point. Good playing of the cast. When everything is lost, always there is something, even fake,that gives meaning to our lives. A good film makes you search deeper. Not for under 15.
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A great surprise. Which should make you think.
jo eib14 October 2017
Before i decided to watch this movie i read some IMDb reviews. It was a mixed bunch and i wanted to see it because i believed in the positive ones. Now that i have seen it, i can say they were totally right.

Wilson is the story of an ordinary man who doesn't really want to take part in our modern society, mainly because of technology taking away social interactions. The movie does well in showing us the perverted lifestyle we developed because of technologies and capitalism. It made me think about these topics a lot and even affected me personally.I shed quiet a lot of tears, i was cought off guard by the movie and that is something i do not experience a lot.

I would not describe this movie as a pure comedy, for me it is like 60% Drama and 40% comedy. In my opinion Wilson deserves a way higher rating.
7 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Nice Dramadey
whitemanfromtowne18 May 2017
Not sure why this movie would even be considered a comedy, when in fact it had a very surreal flow to the story. I love movies like this because in the world in my head, I would love to be unfiltered like Woody was, with a heart of gold and speak my mind and, not have to worry about how other people my feel. Especially with my dickhead employer. For me this was a nice dramadey, and I don't agree with the other reviews about Harrelson not be able to save this film. In my opinion I loved his character and the rest of the cast. For a man to find out he has a child giving up to adoption and then trying to build a relationship with her, and for the child not to have a built up resentment towards their biological parents, is a very powerful message of relationship on the big screen. I have a on going visitation battle right now with my ex-wife from hell, and I swear, I'm fighting everyday to keep the relationship between me and my daughter alive. So to all you reviewers who didn't like Woody's role. I'm sorry this movie spoke volume to me. And to all you mothers and fathers out there that are not in your child's life they way you should be, Its time to really step up and man up....Great film
15 out of 26 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A film about Wilson the Volleyball would have been better
bankofmarquis1 April 2017
Wilson is the "feel good comedy of the year" filled with interesting characters, quirky places and anchored by a strong, unique and Oscar-worthy performance by Woody Harrelson.

April Fools

What a mess this movie is.  It tries so hard to be a "quirky comedy" that it focuses all of it's attention on the quirk and very little on what makes quirky comedies work - the characters.

Let's start with the biggest problem with this film - the central performance of Woody Harrelson as the titular Wilson.  When we first see him, he is a "get off my lawn" grumpy old man.  In the next scene, he is an inappropriate "close talker", in the next it seems he has no filter.  In the next, he has a childlike wonder.  All of these adds up to various "quirks" of the character, but none of them equal a character.  What they do is confuse the audience as to what kind of character they are watching.  So when Wilson finally has the heart-breaking moment that will change him - we are left to wonder if he is changed for the better, or the worse or is he even changed.  And I concluded with the worst comment of all...

I don't care.

This film is based on a graphic novel and a screenplay by Daniel Clowes (Ghost World) and the Direction is by Craig Johnson (The Skeleton Twins) - both of whom has done good work in the past, but this just isn't.  The direction is all over the board bouncing from comedy to drama, but mostly landing in some mediocre middle area between the two, which drains the emotion from the proceedings.  Writer Clowes must know this character in his head, and I'm sure it makes sense to him, but it sure didn't to me and this effort fails miserably.

There are some redeeming qualities, as the film is filled with strong performers in the supporting roles filled with the likes of Margot Martindale, Judy Greer, Mary Lynn Rajskub and Cheryl Hines, but they are on the screen all too briefly and I would have liked to have seen a film digging deeper into these characters (without Wilson).  Only Laura Dern, as Wilson's ex-wife, acquits herself well.  Her damaged, healing soul was the lone bright spot that made me sit up whenever she was on the screen.

This movie was filmed in the Twin Cities, so at least I had some fun picking out the locations on the screen.  Unfortunately, the filmmakers, again, went for "quirky" so I become very cynical about what location was coming up next.  I have the feeling the location scout was told to find "the odd, the weird and the quirky" in the Twin Cities.  And, with that, they were successful.

Letter Grade:  C-

3 (out of 10) stars and you can take that to the Bank (ofMarquis)
29 out of 58 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
True to the Graphic Novel
Lovekrafft12 June 2017
A slice of life is how I describe these movies, where one sees the common and mundane in a certain context.

Wilson is the story of an average misunderstood man from another time who is shown as hurting and caring but perseveres to try and find meaning in his otherwise drab existence. An average man who, by today's standards, is the bogeyman but as this poster can attest, speaks of an era where people were unique and opinionated instead of self-absorbed and indifferent.

I am looking forward to a second viewing to further see the depth of Harrelson's Wilson. And if there are other Clowes/Eightball fans out there who haven't seen Wilson yet, I recommend it. I also hope The Death-Ray and Ice Haven are made into movies.
7 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Messy and Unfunny
popcorninhell21 March 2017
If anything Wilson, the story of a lonely middle-aged man reuniting with his estranged wife to meet his daughter for the first time, accomplishes something no movie has ever done. It manages to take Woody Harrelson, a jewel of the large and small screen, and make him wholly unlikable. This is no easy feat, especially considering that his character's only real crime is being a watered-down Marc Maron caricature. The man cavalierly ponders the big questions and graciously oozes cookie cutter wisdom to anyone within earshot. He thinks he's being avuncular but really he's just being really, really annoying.

This problem extends to the film itself. It thinks it's intelligent and it thinks it's giving us earth-shattering insights into the human condition. It lazily employs an unstructured narrative of Wilson-centric coming-of-age clichés and pads its screen time with tonally discordant moments that fly at you fast then disappear without consequence. The results is a frustrating soup of characters, conflicts, themes and rickety-old shtick that goes no where and accomplishes nothing.

Of course this could be the point; the movie purports to be about life. Ergo, if life is messy then so is this movie. Yet the films total lack of focus seeps to its DNA with scenes and plot points that announce themselves as loudly as possible and climax too quickly. In one scene, Wilson (Harrelson) learns that his only two friends (Rajskub and Gelman) are moving to St. Louis. He doesn't take it well, prodding them until they erupt in what felt like years of pent-up frustration. It's a good little scene but we're never given any time to savor it before the movie switches gears like the slides of a carousel projector.

And at the front giving the presentation is Wilson who, for better or worse is the smartest person in the film. No one dares call him out on his bulls**t, especially not Pippi (Dern) his wife who's just barely keeping things together after a series of bad life choices. At times, she reacts like a prisoner to Wilson's somewhat terrifying mid-life crisis. But by the end of the story she succumbs to the idea that her surly former lover may just be wiser beyond his years.

Yeah no, the man's a petulant, mean-spirited, less clever, less literate Bukowski character made near-flesh by someone who saw a Woody Allen movie once and thought, "gee, how can I take out all this pesky pithiness." I guess in that regard Wilson can be accredited for one more accomplishment. It managed to take the daily struggles of a middle-aged white man and make them appear trivial and redundant.
23 out of 48 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A little too unbalanced to highly recommend it, but it is relatable (to me).
Hellmant30 March 2017
'WILSON': Three and a Half Stars (Out of Five)

A comedy-drama, based on the 2010 graphic novel (of the same name) by Daniel Clowes (who also wrote the screenplay). The film was directed by Craig Johnson, who also helmed the 2014 indie hit 'THE SKELETON TWINS', and it stars Woody Harrelson (in the title role). The movie tells the story of a lonely, neurotic and extremely honest middle-aged man, named Wilson, who goes looking for his teenage daughter, after just discovering he had one. Laura Dern, Judy Greer and Isabella Amara also costar in the movie. It's received a limited indie theatrical release at the Box Office, and it's gotten mostly mediocre reviews from critics. I also found the film to be far from perfect, but it's also at least somewhat entertaining and insightful.

Wilson (Harrelson) is a lonely middle-aged man, who's lived alone most of his life. He's neurotic, and he's also uncomfortably open, and honest, with almost everyone he meets; which causes most people to distance themselves from him. Wilson was briefly married, to another mentally unstable, and now drug addicted, woman named Pippi (Dern). Pippi and Wilson conceived a child together, years earlier, but Wilson was told the baby was aborted. When he finds out the child was born, and she's now living with adoptive parents nearby, he feels the obsessive need to meet her (Amara).

I've never read the graphic novel that the film is based on, but I did enjoy the quirky 2001 cult classic 'GHOST WORLD'; which Clowes also wrote the screenplay to (and the comic book it was based on). I do really like the Wilson character though, and I can really relate to him in many ways (but definitely not in every way). I think Harrelson does an outstanding job portraying him too, and the movie is quite involving because of it. It's a little too unbalanced though, to highly recommend it; it's just way too dark at times, in comparison to it's otherwise upbeat nature.

Watch our movie review show 'MOVIE TALK' at: https://vimeo.com/208412653
12 out of 23 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Everything but funny
The Couchpotatoes6 September 2017
The definition of a comedy is: a (type of) film, play, or book that is intentionally funny either in its characters or its action. So that be said, I would think Wilson has to make me laugh at least once, or if not a true laugh at least a smile. Well guess what, none of the above occurred. And that's not because I have no sense of humor, not at all, I can pretend I have a pretty good sense of humor. But Wilson is just not funny, not even slightly. If I had to live with somebody like Wilson I would probably beat him up and end in prison. That's how annoying that character is. Extremely annoying but absolutely not funny. The acting is okay though. If they asked Woody Harrelson to play an extremely annoying person then he managed it very well. The story is long and boring, you just wait for the movie to finish, as quick as possible. Will I ever watch this movie again? If I have problems falling asleep maybe.
6 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
I'm not a psycho, lady.
Michael Ledo4 July 2017
Wilson (Woody Harrelson) is a neurotic loner who has a dog for company. He has a habit of talking to strangers that don't want to be bothered. When his father passes away, Wilson tries to connect to his past, including his crack smoking street prostitute ex-wife played by Laura Dern with stringy hair. She gives him information that gives Wilson hope for the future...a quest.

Wilson was a guy you could pity and laugh at with his neurotic tendencies, making the film a comedy which suddenly turns into violence in a few scenes, changing the tone of the film for a moment. We really know very little about Wilson, like his former occupation. He does stuff that is wrong, but doesn't realize how frequently he crosses lines. He lives a life of loneliness with fleeting moments of happiness. The film had its ups and downs and didn't work when it attempted to be a drama.

Guide: F-word. Sex. no nudity.
4 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Requires a sophisticated mind to recognize the true genius of this movie
fredfredrikfreddyfred10 June 2017
Comedy is very subjective and this movie may not be for everyone. In my opinion it totally worked, they really pulled it off. Never stretched the limits of suspension of disbelief while at the same time presented an extremely skewed, quirky character who I found to be engrossing. Woody completely lost himself in the character becoming almost unrecognizable. He is a handsome man but became very unattractive and almost strained credulity when the beautiful actress wanted to begin having sexual relations. But it could be possible for a mentally challenged weirdo who still has such a great body. I am a complete comedy aficionado and constantly searching for new cutting edge material, 99 percent of it is garbage but this passed my rigorous standards to stand out as one of the ten best comedy movies to come out in recent years. I'm giving it nine out of ten stars because it could become overlooked if more uncultivated comedy palates can't "get it"
10 out of 20 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
a pointless film about an obnoxious self-obsessed nobody
CineMuseFilms8 June 2017
Imagine how hard it must be to make a film about an obnoxious self-obsessed neurotic nobody. Maybe add several equally unlikeable characters then tell a story that starts and ends nowhere special with little of interest happening in between. This is the film Wilson (2017) and calling it a black comedy does nothing to lighten its dead weight. But it begs the question: why was this film made?

There are two ways to read Wilson and both depend on your threshold for finding people unbearable. Wilson (Woody Harrelson) is either a radically honest out-of-the-ballpark quirky communicator who has no filters, boundaries or respect for the normal conventions of social interaction; or he is a toxic human being who you would avoid at all costs. Or perhaps he is both. When his father dies, he is confronted by the ultimate existential crisis: divorced, alone and unloved, he ponders what does his life mean? He tracks down his ex-wife who he has not seen for 17 years in the hope that some spark of affection might be rekindled. She has not had an easy life, having been a 'crack whore' and a streetwalker. As if mentioning a mutual acquaintance they once knew, she tells him she had baby girl 17 years ago who was put up for adoption. Wilson's emotional world implodes and the rest of the film tracks his pathetic efforts to reclaim his alienated daughter and become the father he always hoped to be. In the final scenes, the story jumps to his release from jail after serving time for kidnapping his daughter, and we are meant to celebrate the reluctant reunion in a kind of 'blood is thicker than water' moral finale to this pointless story.

Conventional film review criteria like characterisation, filming and narrative coherence seem irrelevant for a story based on repulsive people doing stupid things. The dialogue is trite and unfunny, and attempts at absurdist humour fall flat, or worse, are alienating. For example, when Wilson enters a near-empty train carriage to pester a stranger with intrusive and out-of-place questions, we squirm with discomfort as we do when he ridiculously gawks at a stranger urinating. His insistence on paternal rights irrespective of his daughter's needs verges on irrational psychological abuse. There are many reasons to dislike this film, including the laboured sexual references disguised as humour and the implied linking of his daughter's body-image issues to her adoption. If there is hidden meaning in Wilson, this reviewer has failed to find it.
9 out of 18 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Even bad-boy Woody can't make this a comedy.
jdesando23 March 2017
When titular anti-hero Wilson (Woody Harrelson) says suburbia is a "living death," he could also be talking about himself as a curmudgeon dissing everyone he sees while crying for the family life he's never had. That extreme tonal shift characterizes his bifurcated personality and the film itself.

In other words, this film is so deaf that it is almost impossible to see it as the comedy the producers would like us to experience. Although Harrelson brings his patented innocent bad-boy persona, he can't save the result from mediocre dialogue and inscrutable characterization.

As it all begins, Wilson's voice-over is larded with misanthropy spread over the landscape from a sweet dog lover (Sandy Olan) to any young person he meets, except his long lost daughter, Claire (Isabella Amara). The latter supposedly transforms his life after he seeks her out.

Fawning over his indifferent daughter emphasizes his lack of insight, despite his constant chatter about his disappointment with modern life, frequently spot on, if not unkind. His attempt to reunite with his estimable former wife, Pippi (Laura Dern), shows the other side of solid insight. By the end of the film, I felt I was battered from one side of the ring to the other with no real winner and a definite loser in Wilson.

Jack Nicholson did a remarkable job as a reforming curmudgeon in About Schmidt, as did a score of fine actors playing Scrooge. The film Wilson just doesn't fit because it lacks character focus. That Woody brings the requisite jaded innocence is a given; that the screenplay gives him nothing to hang the character on is a flaw in an otherwise interesting concept about the middle-aged pessimist turned optimist.

Because this film is adapted by the graphic novelist, Daniel Clowes, who created the protagonist, it's fair to say Clowes caught the cartoon-like irony of the comic book but lost the sense of character consistency so much a hallmark of a mature novel set to film. If you want bleak and dark with a light touch, the work of Todd Solondz would fit your needs. Clowes not so much.
12 out of 26 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
The man who'd lost everything, is set to redefine his life.
Reno Rangan4 July 2017
From the director of 'The Skeleton Key', I can see his style of filmmaking as I'd watched these two films of him. That makes him a stylish filmmaker of his own style. This kind of story narration is not for everyone. But surely there are people for it. This is not a very good film, but simply a good film.

It revolved around a character who is kind of an anti-social. He has lost everything one by one in his life and now his close buddy who moved far away and then his father who has just died. So he decides to find his ex wife, and with that he comes to know some long hidden secret. Going after it, his life forever changes which is what covered in the remaining film.

It was Woody Harrelson's show. But I quite liked Laura Dern as well. It was a long time after seeing her in this kind of absorbing role, yeah, except recently from 'Wild'. And there was Judy Greer, who was not bad either. So the casting was fantastic and the story was a lot better than you could judge it from its poster.

Not an unusual storyline, but well adapted from the graphic novel of the same name. You might get impressed by it, so I say try it, despite low ratings. Anyway, I had a nice time with it. A sweet and short film, which's mostly out of real world logics. But serves its purpose, that's entertaining its audience.

4 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
This Film has a Moral Compass
Philip Meddows2 July 2017
I only write reviews when I see a film that has a rating that does not represent the value of the film. If your looking for a good drama that delves into the fragility and fear we all face towards our own death and need towards self importance. Then this film is for you.

It is an emotional roller coaster ride if you enjoy the quirky nature of the events within the film. I don't feel Woody Harrison was a good fit for this role and he doesn't do it justice, but I still thoroughly enjoyed this film and only watched it because Woody was in it.

It has a few holes, but had this film been made in the 90's it would have received much acclaim. The only downside to this film is that many people will overlook it and that is unfortunate.

From the writer of Ghost World, this film is also directed by an incredibly under appreciated director. Yet to make a meaningless film this Director is only limited by his budget and still managers to deliver.

If you like dogs more than humans this film will also move you in ways that you may not be prepared for. You have been warned.

Also the only distraction I got throughout the entire film was when they visited the set of the "Orange Is The New Black" yellow block set from season 2. Often used in films, they always shoot it from the same angle. Very annoying.

It may also help that even though Jurassic Park came out when I was 9, Laura Dern is still a fox.

Watch this film. You will not regret it.
4 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A meandering character piece
In the beginning of "Wilson," Woody Harrelson's loser character laments the rise of people on social media and zoning out listening to earbuds, mourning the death of human interaction. Then, he shows us the reason why people listen to headphones in public: so they don't get in inane conversations with people like him. As with Ghost World (and Art School Confidential, less successfully) Daniel Clowes adapts his basically plot less comic into a feature length film, shoehorning a plot into what was just a character piece. Really, this is just the misadventures of a socially awkward, overly truthful, but extroverted person. But the pinned on plot concerns Wilson reuniting with his troubled ex, finding their bullied daughter who'd been adopted away, getting in trouble for contacting said daughter, and forming a new relationship with a yoga instructor. When his reunion with his daughter goes south, this previously lighthearted movie becomes too serious. The audience, who was all chuckles before, suddenly didn't know how to react to violent situations and dangerous people. I can't say the movie would have been successful without this situation. IT still concerns a man who it is hard to like. But adding dark elements to a comedy and then returning to the comedy does not seem to work. The seemingly upbeat ending, too, seems fastened on. The filmmakers wanted to end on a note of hope, so they stuck in a rather cliché sentiment that does not add much to either the story or the overall theme. I have enjoyed many movies about oddballs and social outcasts, but this one just does not manage to reconcile its story elements and its themes. I wasn't crazy about the source material either.

PS: Who came up with the advertising image of two men at a urinal? What are people making of it?
7 out of 16 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
It May Have Been a Good Graphic Novel
boblipton26 March 2017
This is a story about how Woody Harrelson is a jerk, but everyone else is too, and they punch him. This is supposed to elicit sympathy from the audience. When his father dies, he reaches out to ex-wife Laura Dern, because hey, you know, sympathy sex. He discovers that when she had left him, had an abortion and gone into a drug-fueled spiral, she hadn't had an abortion, but had given out the kid for adoption. They track her down, stalk her a bit in a non-threatening manner, and deal with people being jerks and punching Woody Harrelson. Eventually, Dern moves to Australia, Harrelson shacks up with a young, beautiful woman and things turn out well for him, despite the fact that he is still a jerk -- he just doesn't punch anyone. By the standards of this particular Cinematic Universe, this makes him a Good Person Who Deserves All Good Things & Gets Them.

In short, this is a bad movie with good performances. There are quirky individuals and snide commentary about how people are jerks, but nothing changes, and you are left with numerous questions about what is going on. How does Wilson live? Why can he take off to go stalk various relatives without worrying about money? Aren't there any adults anywhere? If it weren't for Harrelson's straightforward, oblivious idiocy, this would be unwatchable.
5 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
omg, this was hilarious!
prexactly31 August 2017
This movie had me laughing so much I'm gonna have to watch it again because I missed some of the dialog due to not being able to stop laughing. There is a lot of foul language because Woody's character has no filter, and that's part of the humor. Unlike most movies made these days, there's a purpose and method to the language. It's not just foul language for the sake of foul language. Having said that, it's probably best to watch alone, or with someone you know is not sensitive to foul language. Woody does an excellent job with his character, although I get the feeling it wasn't much of a stretch for him. This may be the best I've seen from Woody. Excellent movie!
2 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Film Review: Wilson
lucasnochez4 April 2017
Have you ever met a person that was always so negative; a complete narcissist; a complete nut case who goes about doing all the wrong things, and makes the worst life choices ever? Well, if you do know a person like that and want to compare them to someone else as neurotic, Wilson is the movie for you. Woody Harrelson plays the titular title character with as much pizazz and life as possible while being an inherently bleak as can be.

Harrelson's Wilson can best be described as the ultimate misanthrope. Nevermind Ebenezer Scrooge, Wilson is the real deal when it comes to pessimism. Taking the world with less than a grain of salt, Wilson tackles the world with the most obvious sense of negativity, blaming people and society for all that's gone wrong in his life, including his; love life, family life and most of all, all of his own quirks and habits. Don't believe us? Just pay close attention to one very short and emotionally draining scene where Wilson visits his father on his deathbed. Like so many cases after this scene, Wilson seeks for retribution and peace in all the wrong places and times.

Clearly the oddball in his almost picturesque Minnesota community, Wilson's world shakes and shatters upon the discovery that an old flame and frequent drug user Pippi (Laura Dern) decided to keep a child they had together, who later independently decided to put the girl up for adaption. Upon the discovery of Pippi, and some sort of hope that the once love would rekindle, Wilson takes it upon himself to find his daughter Claire (Isabella Amara) and the beautiful urban family who has taken the responsibility to raise Claire as their own. As expected, in the most distasteful and awkward way possible, Wilson, along with Pippi, make it a hobby to include themselves in Claire's life almost forcefully.

Having an almost crude and grimy way of connecting with humanity as a whole, Wilson makes good-intentioned decision to involve himself in Claire's life, until things begins to spiral out of control, in familiar Wilson-fashion, leading Wilson to state penitentiary.

Luckily for us, Harrelson, one of the most versatile and interesting actors working today, allows Wilson to be a very engaging and interesting character film, focusing on the ideas of longing and loneliness. While we were fortunate enough to have the film written by Daniel Clowes, the original author of which the graphic novel the film is based off of, and Craig Johnson, director of the totally off-beat but satisfying tragic comedy The Skeleton Twins, Clowes and Johnson are able to keep the spunkiness of the almost two hour film somewhat light, keeping its flowing characters in serious need of redemption mostly entertaining and engaging.

Do not get it twisted, Wilson is a very dark and comedic film, just not dark in the sense that depression and pill popping may ensue after. While Clowes has a knack of making really funny situations and characters depressing and almost unchangeable, Wilson does progress towards a satisfying yet, in its own way, Hollywood ending. While I did long for a more in-depth look or analysis of Wilson's relationship with his father, it never comes.

While Wilson showcases the many levels and various temperaments of a very flawed and almost unlikable character, by the end of the film, one cannot help to kinda/sorta fall in love with Wilson. There is an illustrious comedic poignancy of the man who barely reaps the benefits of all of life's wonderful yet disillusioning obstacles. Decorated with slight glimpses of retribution for our beloved inane character, the world in which Wilson longs for is one that is slightly unattainable, yet charmingly whimsical.

Harrelson is an actor that can pretty well play anything and anyone. Slap on a pair of thick framed glasses, a shaggy silver-laced beard and Harrelson nails all of the nuances of a impulsive man for whom bell tolls for on a daily basis, blowing up everything and everyone in his crazy and directionless path.

Luckily for Clowes and Johnson (the original author of the source material and director) were able to assembler a quite impressive cast for a Sundance and indie darling. With the likes of Harrelson, Dern, Cheryl Hines and Judy Greer, giving a well needed spunk and kick in the ass to a somewhat joyless narrative, despite some uncomfortably appealing scenes of Wilson within a school playground and pet shop parking lot.

Overall, Wilson may probably not be your most beloved feature of 2017, nor will it be your most memorable. Luckily for us, art is always a reflection of the images we see on screen, and if there is anything Wilson does well, its reminding us that there is light at the end of the tunnel; and no matter how bad things may end up looking or really are, hope, happiness and redemption is always in store, just don't squander on the opportunities once they becomes apparent.
7 out of 18 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Not funny
tlarraya11 June 2017
This movie isn't funny. It's uninspiring. It's even depressing. You start this film knowing that the protagonist is going to be full of quirks and an eccentric, socially un-adapted. But in the end he's just sad. There's nothing worth watching in this film. Although Woody is a great actor, as always. It's just not an interesting story.
5 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Harrelson has a field day
george.schmidt30 March 2017
Wilson (2017) *** Woody Harrelson, Laura Dern, Isabella Amara, Cheryl Hines, Judy Greer, Mary Lynn Rajskub, Margo Martindale. Harrelson has a field day as a well-intentioned misanthropic man who attempts to rekindle a romance with his ex (Dern) and learning that they have a daughter who he wants very much to be reunited with in spite of his non-filter spillage of whatever's on his mind much to his detriment. Based on Daniel Clowe's graphic novel the film attempts to make such an unpleasant sort, sort of pleasant thanks largely to the wait-and-see-how-this-goes direction by Craig Johnson in allowing the characters to show themselves for who they are, warts and all. Frequently funny and surprisingly tender at times the well-meaning protagonist scores albeit with a prickly defense mechanism that indeed can be grating.
5 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Nice Film
prince movie22 May 2017
A comedy starring (Woody Harrelson) who plays Wilson a middle aged guy who just know after seventeen years he had a daughter from his ex-wife Pipi (Laura Dern), so they go on journey to restore the old years that were not presented for their daughter.

The story was major consecrating on family and how important for a human to have one and how people are changed with the modern technology. Acting amazing act from both Woody Harrelson and Laura Dern, they were communicating very well in the film. The film was very slow and quite which excluded most of the music and effects. The story was not presented very well and it was very long film for short story.
3 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
So not good.
desimonici-898-58442112 April 2018
Miscast or something. I felt awkward watching it. Neither of the leads seemed even vaguely realistic nor did the plot. It was all trying too hard. I hated everything about it right down to Harrelson saying the name Pippi.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this