The Expendables 2 (2012) Poster

If you've just had a Lobotomy, Watch this movie !!!
cardiffhut10 October 2012
If you had a lot of money, lots of spare time, and an IQ of 10, what would you do? Easy : club up with like minded people and make a movie, glorifying yourself and your dumb pals.The Result : The Expendables and if that wasn't enough to satisfy the ego-maniac...The Expendables 2!!! The plot reminds one of a spoilt, rich brat wondering which of his toys he needs to play with (and destroy)..by the end of the movie, Michael Sylvester Gardenzio Stallone has successfully demolished all his toys and got himself a new one. Arnold Alois Schwarzenegger is back again with his "I'm back (again)" dialogue thats become so overused its a shame that he still thinks its up to some good.They even got Chuck Norris to do a really dumb appearance.Thank god for the actors who stayed away from this movie.

Easily the most mediocre acting, dialogues and script of this century.The special effects are good.A lot of money that could have fed a lot of poor people gone up in flames.

If you are a die hard Stallone,Schwarzenegger,Bruce Willis fan and want to watch the movie, my advise is get a Lobotomy; makes it a whole lot easier on you-Hollywood has reached a new level of mediocrity.
34 out of 43 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Exactly what I wanted from the first film - The Avengers of action movies.
Matt_Layden13 August 2012
While on a mission one of the "Expendables" gets himself killed, this leads the crew to go on a mission of revenge. But is it too much to handle?

I was severely disappointed in the first Expendable film, the mediocre action, the use of CGI blood and the unimpressive villain ruined the experience. So I was hoping that the second time around they would correct these issues. I can safely say, they did and they did it in spades. The big change is Stallone is no longer behind the camera, so he is more focused on his role of Barney and his mind isn't split between two separate places. The biggest change though is the tone, The Expendables 2 does not take itself seriously at all and neither did I, so I had a blast watching what is ultimately a parody of the action genre.

I can look past the acting, lack of story and plot because the film doesn't try to give you one. It's a simple film with a simple purpose. Get as many of these big guys into one film, make it a guys flick with lots of action and killing and they succeeded. The biggest misstep this film has is the motivation behind the revenge. The wrong person dies. A character is killed off that we have almost zero emotional connection with, it would have made more sense if it were another character that disappears early on in the film. It seems this character's sole purpose was to have these characters get their revenge on, which makes it less engaging for the viewer.

I was surprised at how underwhelmed I was by the action in the first film, here it is more stylized and fun. The film steps on the gas from the very beginning and almost never lets up. We are thrown into this action sequence at the start, which is better than anything the original had to offer. A more competent action director is behind the lens this time, Simon West who gave us Con Air and the more recent Mechanic. He understands what is needed and delivers some wild action sequences.

As I mentioned before, the film does not take itself seriously and it has a very tongue and cheek demeanour about it. It's not afraid to wink at the camera, specifically when Chuck Norris enters the screen and steals the show with the funniest line in the entire film. The film is full of one liners you would expect from an action film. During a fight, one characters exclaims, "Let's wrap this up" he then proceeds to take a chain and wrap it around another character's neck to choke him out. Another scene we have a bad guy get shot a dozen times by everyone and Stallone retorts, "Rest in pieces". Finally, my favourite, Stallone says "heads up" then proceeds to throw a head to some people. Yes, this movie is violent, so no fear about the PG-13 rating.

So what about the guys? Well, they all come back, some have a lot more to do than others. Lundgren is basically the comedic relief. Crews and Courture again get short shifted and feel like background characters. Schwarzenegger, Willis and Norris all have more in depth cameos and finally Van Damme shines as the villain. Van Damme really deserved more screen time. We are introduced to him, then we cut back every so often as he tries to steal his plutonium, then we have him fight at the end. He deserved more screen time, so did his right hand man, Scott Adkins. Both are more martial arts type fighters than big gun shooters and since this is a Stallone film, this is a big gun shooting movie. They get their fight sequences, but both of them I thought could have been a bit longer. Especially the Van Damme/Stallone fight.

So in the end, The Expendables did exactly what the first film should have done. It's a hilarious parody of the action genre and has non-stop excitement from start to finish. This is finally the film from these guys that I've been waiting for.
218 out of 316 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
What is this? I don't even...
troymartin932 September 2012
I don't care if I'm the minority here but seriously if anyone has ever seen a decent movie before then they would realize how ridiculous this film is. So much talent can be had from this cast as most of us have seen over the years. If the dialogue from this movie wasn't enough to deter me from liking it then it was the multiple references to previous action films starring the individual cast that did it. The addition of Liam Hemsworth playing billy the kid was a strong move considering his part was by far the most interesting and well portrayed. Better kill off the greatest part in the film (it was pretty evident and cliché that Billy was going to die due to the fact that in every film where someone is about to leave or better themselves in some way leads to their death). Another thing that really bothered me about this film was the fact that Jason Statham's "honey" bothering him throughout the film had literally no relevance, yet they led the audience to believe it would.

The editing in this film was tragic... Ever since Stallone has been making a "come back" with action films, the animated blood that is featured is some of the most unrealistic i've seen. When I first witnessed this odd looking blood was in the most recent "Rambo". I thought then that it was interesting looking but eventually due to the excessive amount of it being used i grew tired. There is a scene in The Expendables 2 where they have cleared out a small church filled with Van Damme's cronies and only one enemy is left. They proceed to light this man up, (which i found comical) but once again the terrible editing in this scene ruined it. You can clearly see his entire torso covered in poorly edited bullet holes that don't even move with the mans body.

With a cast and crew like this, I'd think they'd be able to fund for some fantastic special effects. Thanks for the disappointment though.
86 out of 123 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
One of the worst movies ever
dineshabe14 September 2012
This is easily one of the worst movies i have ever seen. If you want to see 3000 people shot to death then you will love this movie. I saw this in an IMAX, but that didn't make the movie less painful. The story is the same old one, good partner gets killed the teams takes revenge. The first 15 minutes was bearable. There was nothing but mindless killing. Every scene is unrealistic and there is absolutely no story line. The good guys can apparently stand and shoot 1000 people face on face and bad guys will miss them. 5 guys shooting and killing 100 people in a open room without getting hit, is what best describes the movie. And finally stallone defeats the villain in fist fight. Oh he had a gun but u know fist fights are better. This is worse than any bad Indian movie i have ever seen. Most Indian superhero movies are much better than this movie.

In short if you have watched any action movie, don't go to this movie.
31 out of 42 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
The Embarrassings 2
laurenthoutent23 September 2012
Bad hairpieces, awful in-jokes, no storyline, lots of noise, elderly actors. Throw in $90 million and you have this turkey.

The baddies were at a real disadvantage here, none of their guns was designed to hit anyone. The goodies on the other hand had these special magic weapons that the only time they need reloading is for camera effect.

Stallone was mumbling so incoherently at times, I thought the soundtrack had a problem, but I don't think I missed much of the "plot"!

The shoot out at the airport ... an everlasting supply of baddies that turned up only to promptly get shot. Was the silly little car a product placement? Hope not, as it's so easy to remove the doors, there are obvious health & safety issues here!

It was really embarrassing to watch known actors in their sixties and seventies (Norris is 72), in roles designed for people decades younger. Don't waste your money nor your time watching this turkey.
27 out of 36 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Quote from Billy Madison " We are all dumber for having heard it!"
scottedunlap26 August 2012
The first thing that strikes me about this movie is, why does it look SO bad? Is it the feel or style they are going for? I dunno, it just looks bad. Maybe they are trying to Vaseline screen the aging stars, who are all in great shape by the way, or are they saving on film? Do they even use film anymore? SPOILER ALERT Virtually every action scene here is over the top and totally unbelievable except for a short scene with Jet Li. The initial escape scene makes NO SENSE! Sly gets shot while going down a seemingly infinite zip line? Statham's got his back so he stays behind while they are surround and the rest of the team continues the escape on the water high speed style. Out of nowhere Sly and Jason are rescued by fledgling team member snipers them out of the situation. Sly grunts "Time for plan b" back to the water chase. Jet skis, for no apparent reason appear from nowhere and the team abandons the boat. Just when all is lost, Stallone and Statham zoom overhead in the plane they arrived in. How is this plan b? Wouldn't the boats and jet ski's be plan b. Jet skis shoot into the ramp of the plane as the plane struggles get get enough lift to take off before they crash into a huge damn. Hey, since we are having trouble gaining altitude, let's head for the HIGHEST POINT on the dam! Most of the action scenes pretty much follow this level of nonsense. Oh well, maybe the writing is good? Nope! Back story for the newbie team member to make us care about him when he gets killed pretty much goes like this, "So, how did you get into this line of work?" " I was in Afganistan for three years when my platoon got trapped in the oil zone. By the time we got out, four of my friends were dead. When I got back to base, they had shot the dog I was taking care of, so, I'd had enough killing for the day"! That's it? That's the best the writes of this mega budget could come up with? Also to the character, since you had enough killing you decided to become a mercenary where you would kill people all day! Speaking of death, I read a stunt man died making this POS. people die everyday, on the subway, in their sleep, lots o reasons, but honestly, I can't think of a bigger waste of life than to die for this movie.
91 out of 136 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Better than the first by a mile
tonystalloney6 August 2012
First off, yes, much better than the first.... thank god, more locations, funnier and better put together.

No time from opening credits, its straight into the action, which is more epic imo, and is what should have been seen in the first film but maybe due to a low budget we were subjected to a lesser affair The team work well, all of them and Hemsworth does really well as the new boy on the block and second time round and you kind of know these guys. Arnie, bruce are seen more but are not seen as much as the usual gang, and li is seen the least.

Norris is great, seen here and there, great entrance and more of a cameo, and van damme makes good his role as the villain.

The story pretty much straight forward, better than the first, but nothing special, some dialogue was hard to hear, and sly does try to be serious in some scenes which got a laugh and I don't think its how it was intended but its not that much of a big deal really as there are funny moments in the film, more so than the first film.

Fight scenes were better this time round, not too prolonged, timed well, and the one on ones didn't drag on too long. Sly & van damme's fight could have been a bit longer but I guess after all the chaos leading up to that point it was sufficient enough without getting too silly, reminded me of a Rocky fight here and there....he he One liners were good, dolph was great, the girl is good also, be good to see her in exp3, locations and sets fab, cgi was not obvious and edited well.

One thing I will say is sly does have issues coming across as funny and I don't know why. He's funny in real life and was funny in rocky but its hit and miss and it shows here in some scenes.

Its not 10/10 in my book. Maybe when i see it again it may be better in my mind, but like i say a better story would of helped If there is a 3rd, I would like to see more of a story if that is at all possible, see what you think guys when its out, but it's a big improvement on the first and that's a good sign
211 out of 334 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Pure garbage
tzrjustbrowsing23 August 2012
I have no idea why so many people like this movie, maybe I have high standards, but i have to say, all the characters in this movie just don't mix. You can't have all the characters the MAIN character and the story is just pure garbage.

The only bit I liked in this movies was the part where Chuck Norris flashes into the scene, other than that it's just a bundle of shooting and screaming and nothing else really.

The whole story didn't even have a feeling that something was happening. The plutonium was considered a piece of candy that was stolen and everyone was focused on being a 'badass'.

If all mercenaries would be crying babies like this guys, how will they ever survive a seeing a small puppy on the side of the road? In my opinion it's just pathetic.

At least the first movie had a topic, people were talking in their native language, here everyone knows English, no matter where they are from.

Truly I give up, since most of this actors are some of my favorite, but repeating old movie lines (I back, I'm coming back, You came back enough), just makes them look like clowns.

One good thing about this movie is that they did get the character of Jean-Claude Van Damme right. He is a true psycho, but they just found out this right now.

Other than this, the movies deserve a 3 star rating, and this is generous considering that the director of the movie just bashed all the characters head on raw concrete with his amazingly stupid script.
128 out of 200 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Great to see they're still here!
caseyx12 August 2012
I saw The Expendables II this morning at a pré screening. What can I tell you about this movie. Firstly, it's really action packed. You're blasted off in the first few minutes leading up to the actual story. Obviously, this is not a film with a great script or impressive acting.However, the story works well for what it's supposed to do! It is greatly entertaining if you are looking for an action packed movie loaded with iconic action stars like Stallone,Willis and many more. The addition of Chuck Norris and van Damme to the cast worked out well. It's really good to see Chuck Norris in action again and he really pulls it off! I expect that the people who will like this movie most will be the fans of the old guard like Stallone, Schwwarzennegger and Norris and the other cast members. Someone I really liked was Liam Hemsworth who did a great job and stood his own between these action giants! Nan Yu as Maggie was also a good casting choice an did what she was supposed to do.

Aside from the "overdrive" action the film also had a lot of humor, which gave some counterweight to the action.

I hope, but quite frankly expect this will do really well in cinema's globally. As a long time Sylvester Stallone fan I can only hope that he (and his family) will find the strenght to overcome the loss of his son.

To the people who are going to see this extravanganza, I hope you'll enjoy it as much as I did!
182 out of 290 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
it is p**p
muppetfiddler23 August 2012
'If you love life, don't waste time' Bruce Lee once said this.

Sorry Bruce, I need to apologise.... to my family. At the end of my mortal life I will be cursing the wasted time that is EXP2.

I am happy to give cash to my old heroes, but the movie just SUCKED at every level.

Obvious 'dead meat/revenge' character, Asian stereotypes, Bad guys with the complete wrong spoken language (Thai speaking Nepalese, Albanian/Bulgarians). Was Chuck (my number 1 hero) a CGI character? He and his face hardly moved. Sucky story, sucky dialogue, sucky effects, sucky predictable soundtrack... it just sucked!

Just don't do it. Wait for it on cable TV and sit around ripping into it.
36 out of 51 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Welcome back to the '80s
dvc515917 August 2012
It takes a certain mindset to appreciate a movie like "The Expendables 2". One has to be a fan of the action genre of the 1980s and early 1990s, as well as enjoying those action heroes' persona and screen presence whenever they appear on-screen. They did not necessarily have to act well, but they had to be tough, heroic, stoic, larger than life. Realism need not really apply here - it's all about the fun factor. People paid to see these guys blow away the scum of the earth as they only know how.

"The Expendables 2" is the first sequel (and it most certainly would not be the last) to Stallone's 2010 surprise blockbuster which was intended as a glorious throwback to the films of that era. This one is no exception. However, it is a rare sequel which is better than the first. The story may not be important in these types of movies, but in this one the screenplay had a much clearer and stronger narrative than the first film, making it clear that the stakes are raised, thus enabling the story, however shallow, to be more engaging for the audience.

Director Simon West ("Con Air") did wonders with the action sequences as he usually does with his movies. The majority of the action sequences are well shot with wide angles and much better stunt choreography (with CGI touches added here and there, but not as pervasive as the first film's CGI blood; good ol' squibs are used here mostly) which gets annoying with the film's rapid editing at times. Brian Tyler's music score was fairly engaging but didn't really stand out. Overall, the technical aspects of the film really shows off the big budget for the film, and it pays off ultimately.

But what about the characters? If you've seen the director's cut for the first film, that's about as close as you can get for character development. Like the first, this is all-out action, but it has some dramatic moments too. There is a line about coping with death that Barney Ross mutters that feels kind of sad knowing Stallone's own real- life predicament. Van Damme's having a blast as the Villain, and a menacing one at that. The biggest disappointment was that of Jet Li's very minimal screen presence, like a cameo. Hopefully an extended version will fix that problem.

The film's biggest entertainment value comes in the constant one-liners from and between the action icons of the eras, as well as their presence and their dispatching of the bad guys. The banter here is certainly more hilarious and less bland than the first film - there is much more chemistry between the characters. Their screen presence needs no explanation: Sylvester Stallone. Arnold Schwarzenegger. Bruce Willis. Jean-Claude Van Damme. Chuck Norris. Dolph Lundgren. Jason Statham. Jet Li. Need I say more? Cult or mainstream, these guys each has hordes of fans - and they have good reason to.

I grew up on these types of movies and ultimately "The Expendables 2" satisfies my craving for good old-fashioned movie bloodlust in wake of the ever-rising wave of PG-13, CGI-laden action films ("Total Recall" remake, anyone? Oh Arnie, where art thou?). That being said, I expect an extended director's cut as I feel that some parts were awkwardly put together, and hopefully these removed scenes will make the film better as a whole. For now, "The Expendables 2" is very good entertainment, as shallow as it is technically well-made and ends the 2012 summer movie season with a big bang.

Now bring on "The Expendables 3" with Steven Seagal and Wesley Snipes (to basically complete the cycle of 80's/'90s action heroes). Mel Gibson, Kurt Russell, Harrison Ford, Nicolas Cage and Clint Eastwood (my #1 action hero) are also most welcome indeed.

Overall rating: 65%

Action movie rating: 75%
77 out of 117 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
ATTENTION, can somebody please claim the body of the pg-13 action movie, its dead, thank you.
janus-2018 August 2012
What we have here is an almost contemptuous lack of respect for property and human life. But, when that human life is vile, murderous, plutonium pilfering dirtballs, then its time chop, break, snap, blast, liquify, incinerate and decapitate (repeat).

There's very little point in going into a great deal of explanation of what makes this so worth a trip down to your local cinema. Suffice to say Sylvester Stallone has once again saved action movies and put the meat back on the bone.

Here he is aided and abetted by messrs Schwarzenegger, Willis, Norris, Van Damme, Statham, Li, Lundgren, Crews, Couture, who all dive into the proceedings with an enthusiastic amount of esprit de corps, taking the carnage to a hitherto undiscovered level.

This is an action movie with both feet planted firmly in the 80's and there nothing wrong with that one iota. The guys banter, crack jokes, shoot and cause things to blow up, the bad guys are hissable, murderous wretches to a man and are blown up.

Everybody is clearly having a blast, so in translation, so do you, of particular note, Jean Claude Van Damme provides a standout performance as sneery and arrogant Jean Villain.

If you like proper action movies i would be bewildered if you didn't enjoy this. Sly, you did it again, you are without a shadow of doubt "the man".

If they can deliver Eastwood, Ford, Cage, Snipes, Russell, Biehn, Weathers and T for the next one, then my money is already spent.
173 out of 277 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A reloaded *** kicker and better than the 1st one.
omarh9216 August 2012
I must admit, the hype for the first film was too much and in the end, we all got some intense 80s style action but with a poor story. This sequel however actually has a story, a story of revenge. The first film introduces the gang so we get to know them. The second however, we already know the gang so now we actually see how they truly are and how they work. This film is better since the rest of the team (other than Stallone) get more screen time and they have their humor moments. Van Dammne played a very very very very very AWESOME villain, and towards the end of the film, he shows even at the age of 50, he is stronger than ever. Arnie and Bruce Willis had a great screen time too with perfect humor, seriously the chemistry between those 2 and the rest is great. Speaking of chemistry, Dolph Lundgren's role is MUCH better now and very enjoyable. Chuck Norris, you'd be surprise how he is. The cast was great, the story is better, the action is MORE intense, there is great humor. In conclusion, Expendables 2 brings back the 1980s action style with it's teaspoon of humor. Enjoy the film!
67 out of 103 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Pathetic
moorthyvlr27 August 2012
This movie fails in almost everything that is there to fail. Nothing that can thought as original as everything is big mash up served to upset people. When there are too many heroes it does not mean there cannot be any co-ordinated team work. They wasted lot of film just to give entry. The story is very predictable and pretty much compromised for some petty bloody action sequences. People who might have given such high ratings would have fallen victim for the cheesy dialogs and the reminiscence of the old movie dialogs.Compared to the first movie this movie villains are duds and heroes are more or less bloody comedians.In one word this movie can never be called as action movie. It is like a parody.I only wish if they have modified the story with some original dialogs with interesting plot and a notorious evil genius as villain who treats everyone as expendables to reach his vision to be stopped by this rag bag team of mercenaries. But this was just bang,boom,slash where only heroes weapons are activated and villains are merely target practice. Even if you want to salute these old heroic actors don't waste your money on this one it will simply make them worthless. However all the above is only my opinion.
34 out of 50 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A Nutshell Review: The Expendables 2
DICK STEEL16 August 2012
The mercenaries are back! And if the response from the box office is stellar, I suppose The Expendables can build upon a formula that's established through the two films to date, that somehow follows how James Bond would have done it, with its longevity inspiring similar treatment. There's the opening big bang action sequence, followed by Bruce Willis' shady CIA operative Mr Church coming on to provide Barney (Sylvester Stallone) and his team a challenge they cannot refuse (by way of blackmail). Technology and weapons go down to bare basics with loads of guns, knives and brass knuckles, with room for a female companion somewhere, against a mob boss played by somebody well known.

The Muscles from Brussels Jean-Claude Van Damme had agreed to step into the shoes of the villainous boss called erm, Villain, and shows he still got the moves with his signature roundhouse kicks. His plan is to make billions through mining weapons grade plutonium from a mine mapped out by the CIA, and together with lackey Hector (Scott Adkins), snarl in cocky fashion for the most parts, with Hector doing most of the dirty work of enslaving villagers to do their dirty bio-hazardous work. I guess egos got put aside when both got signed on to play villains amongst hundreds of faceless goons who are plain fodder when the Expendables come knocking, no thanks to a personal vendetta being set up early in the movie, giving Barney just cause for tracking, hunting, then killing.

Don't expect The Expendables sequel to be any brainier than the original of course, since nothing is cerebral here, and anything that exhibits a little bit of ingenuity, or brains, get mocked at. Just look at how Dolph Lundgren's Gunner Jensen got treated throughout as a mad scientist equivalent. It's really all about the bigger the guns, muscles and explosions, with the first scene establishing just how our heroes would plough through their adversaries - with ease like hot knife through butter. There's plenty of CG blood, gore, decapitations of various appendage done in a myriad of styles, they're all dumbed down to somewhat cartoony violence - where no matter what the faceless goons throw at The Expendables, nothing sticks, with vice versa accuracy the other way round. You may balk at scenes involving high caliber weapons literally ripping through a hole in someone's body or blowing up heads to smithereens, but it's the way the heroes become executioners, all without remorse.

Directing duties are given to Simon West, and in all honesty, he ensured a better way to shoot all the action, that is a leg up from how Stallone decided to do it, which was a blurry mash of clashing bodies in extreme closeups. Here we get to see who does what, with some incredible stunts filled with movie logic loopholes, you'd fare better if you leave your inhibitions at the door, and enjoy this action film for what it is. The screenplay by Richard Wenk and Stallone doesn't leave any room for character development, except for the continued buddy bromance between Barney and his right hand man Lee Christmas (Jason Statham). And their crew also got pared down with Jet Li appearing in just the first two scenes, with the team made up most of the time by Barney, Lee, Gunner, Hale (Terry Crews) and Toll (Randy Couture), with Yu Nan replacing Li as the token female and Chinese character who balances brains, guts and brawn.

What this outing now had, is plenty of jokes. It doesn't pretend to be what it's not, and junks seriousness, ever willing to trade in laughs at every opportunity. There are enough corny one liners here, and action set ups, that parody the action careers of Stallone, Willis and Schwarzenegger combined, the trio whom most audiences are really here to watch gracing the same screen together. And let's not forget good old Chuck Norris as Booker, with a tip of the hat going in the direction of the countless of Chuck Norris jokes that get a leg up when told by the legendary man himself, with his Booker having a reputation of being much of a lone wolf, coupled with a knack of appearing when needed, and given the abilities of all his action film roles combined.

The story centers on a vendetta to be settled between The Expendables and Villain, and being a personal one too, with a handful of emotional scenes for Stallone to flex his acting chops a little. In what would be an uncanny coincidence, Stallone himself had to battle personal loss during the promotional tour of this film with the passing of his son. Despite having his crew made up of veterans of action roles past, Stallone continues to show that he has a fun-filled, violent action franchise that's picking up traction, and has enough legs to warrant more films to come, especially when more names like Snipes and Eastwood have been bandied around as potential inclusions. Action fans, this is something that you won't want to miss, especially if you've grown up in the 80s and 90s!
88 out of 142 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
The Expendables are back and stuff gets blown up! What else did you expect?
Aaron137522 August 2012
I went to this film expecting another fun explosive ride and I got what I was expecting. Lots of explosions, plenty of bullets and numerous kills. I have to say I enjoyed this one a bit more than the last one, I am not sure what the critics were complaining about, but then they were harsh to Sylvester and Arnold's films back in the day too, so I guess I should not expect anything different this go around. And speaking of Arnold, it was great to see him back and part of the action this time. Probably one of the reasons I enjoyed this one a bit more than the second film.

The story has our gang going into some type of military type installation to retrieve a hostage right from the get go. Suffice to say, before the title comes across the screen you are exposed to lots of action and violence. Ah Sylvester, you sure know how to do it right. We get introduced to a new member of the team and sad to say we have to say goodbye to one of the older members. Granted he was not killed, but he does exit the film early and does not return. I could not believe he did not come back, and if I have a gripe about the film it is that this character did leave so early. Well Church (Bruce Willis) finds Barney (Stallone) and he wants a favor. He wants Barney to take his team to the site of a crash to retrieve something. Something that Van Damme wants and gets. Barney's group goes after this villain, not because of what was taken, but for revenge! The character's are expanded upon here a bit more. It was great seeing Dolph with the team for the entire film. He is still crazy, but he is a bit more under control and actually provides some very humorous moments. Arnold and Bruce are in this one a lot more than the previous film too. They get to take part in the action this time as their roles are not merely walk ons this time. Chuck Norris also gets to do his thing, just as he did back in the 70's and 80's. Van Damme was also in this one a good deal and he made a very good villain. He was much more memorable than the villains from the previous film, I mean Stone Cold was good at the fighting, but did not leave an impression on me as far as acting. Van Damme on the other hand played the part of a villain very well, this film may open up another avenue for him.

This film was fun for me. I am not suggesting it is a work of art or anything, but I missed the first film in the theaters, so I was not going to miss this one. I wanted to see this troupe of action stars shoot it up on the big screen and I got what I wanted to see. Arnold's return was particularly satisfying for me, as there has been a void in my movie theater life since he became governor. I want to see him on the big screen as he was a favorite of mine as a kid and young adult. I also enjoyed seeing Norris on the big screen for the first time in my life. I thank Stallone for bringing all the big guns to the table and while others may not have cared for this film...for me, it was a blast! So sorry if you do not care for my opinion, but I enjoyed this film.
87 out of 141 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Action Filled Sequel that Delivers
Floated211 October 2013
Now I enjoyed the original Expendables for what it was but I was felt disappointed in the outcome because of the way it was hyped up and I felt a lot of things could have made it better, and that things were missing. Now years later, watching the Expendables 2 and not having as such high expectations I went into the film excited and thrilled for surprises. I also did not read any reviews or check critics ratings upon watching. I found this to be greater than the original for many reasons. The plot was more focused, the characters were more detailed (we got to like them more), and mainly because of the more well directed intense action scenes.

The film is separated into two parts. The first 45 or so minutes showing their plans on where to go. Focusing on Billy (Liam Hemsworth), and roughly the second half of the film is of course where we see his departure. Maggie steps in and takes a major role. I found both parts solid, yet the second half more interesting simply because we see the characters mesh more, and Arnold, Willis, and Chuck Noris get larger roles providing well in dept action and fight scenes.

This is one of those few exceptions where the sequel is better than the original. The Expendables was quite serviceable in my opinion, but it never really lived up to the potential of what could have been with the dream team cast it touted. This time however The Expendables take on a whole new attitude. The violence is more non stop and well delivered by the camera shots, there are more fight scenes, shootouts and the final battle fight between Stallone and Van Damme. However one thing I could have done with out is the several references to past 80's action films (Arnold saying "I'm back!/ Yippie- Ki-yay/Who's next-- Rambo!", etc). Mainly because his delivery was flat. Other than that, the Expendables 2 is a solid action thrilled popcorn film and delivers for its time being. We will see how the Expendables 3 turns out!
4 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Bring it on, BABY! Bring on the firepower and the mayhem. Keep it coming!
This sequel did not disappoint! Maximum star power, maximum firepower, maximum excitement. "The Expendables 2" was a thrill ride that no one will ever forget. Sly is back with his crew once more, but this time they gain a new recruit: Bill the Kid (Liam Hemsworth) who's a top notched sniper, and Maggie (Yu Nan) who is smart but very gutsy in nature. They bring back all the ones who just had cameos in the first installment. It got more fun when they got Booker(Chuck Norris) " The Lone Wolf", and Jean-Claude Van Damme. There's one drawback, he's a villain. The action in the movie was totally non-stop, there was also a lot of humor, clichés, and one liners in the film. So long to list, I can't catch up if I tried. "I''ll be back!", is a classic. Sly and Van Damme? An unlikely battle in the making, however, it's a new epic battle anyone can think of. Dolph Lundgren was known for his intellectual talent back in the 80's. He really put it into good use here. If you thought the first movie was something, you haven't seen anything like this. "The Expendables 2" is a must see movie for years to come. All star action, all star humor, and just enough adrenaline to keep you alert at all times. Enjoy this movie! 4.5 out of 5 stars.
101 out of 173 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
This is pure crap
Orpheon00724 August 2012
This movie was really awful, I mean it's a non-stop non-sensical over- the-top macho movie with a lot of silly and wasted jokes, forced storyline (if there's any) and lots of cameos and stupid one-liners and references to other movies these actors have made.

Yes, there's Stallone, Van Damme, Li, Norris, Schwarzennegger, Statham and some others who I really don't care, they all appear, shoot - they do that a lot- and curse all along, you see explosions here and there, retarded action for retarded people, people, who claims that this movie is entertaining and funny, oh God, forgive them, and they say that the jokes were funny, I didn't hear any...

It's insulting that this movie has a 7.7 ranking in IMDb, this is really a crappy effort to bring all these action movie stars back, almost all they look old and seem out of place for this movie, OK, people wanted them back, but that's not an excuse to make this look as a good movie.

This is crap, so it should be treated like crap because it's even boring, seeing so much shooting and explosions gets really tedious, and it keeps going like that for soooooo loooooong. And people compares this to Avengers, WHAT??!! Avengers was by far better than this bull crap, it wasn't intense, it didn't get you into the story nor did manage to make the characters likable, so that comparison it's just plain stupid.

See anything else, if you saw the first and found it lame, this is the same, but with "better" effects and "storyline" and "funny" jokes, so it's really a waste of time, even if it's only 1 and a half hours.

The only thing that I could say it was cool, was Jet Li and Statham's fight scenes, those were cool, over the top of course, and Li only appears in the beginning...
37 out of 58 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
In a word - it's awful
StarWarsMoviesSuck22 August 2012
EXP1 was bad, and EXP2 is no different. Just another lame Stallone-ego-fueling mess of a movie. Watching these old losers taking out scores of fodder with silly unrealistic gunplay just plain gets on the nerves. Big budgets should be reserved for movies that actually have plots and characters that you care about, and not feature has-been actors that can't give up the fact that no amount of HGH and elevator shoes will save them from irrelevancy.

I give it a 1/10. I even like 80s and 90s action movies, very much. Expendables does nothing to bring back the nostalgia of 80s and 90s action glory - it's just another lame Stallone ego-fest.
42 out of 67 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A craftsmen's disaster (awful score, rigging, camera, editing, story)
WinstonNoCGI2 September 2012
Expendables 2 tries to step into the big shoes of Expendables 1 but fails disappointingly.

Throughout the movie the viewer gets the impression of watching a Greek tragedy, but not an action movie.

~~ Musical Score ~~

The musical score confines to strings playing slow arrangements. At a few, random(!) occasions, playing staccato lines, but still it's not "Action" music.

This musical score lacks brass, snare drum, timpani. It's lacking hard, military, score parts.

I remember better musical scores, like Predator, Rambo: First Blood Part II, The Wild Geese, Mission Impossible TV show.

Where's Alan Silvestry? Lalo Schifrin? Composers like (unfortunately deceased) Jerry Goldsmith or Maurice Jarre? Don't they belong to a movie like the Expandables like any of the actors?

~~ Sound Effects ~~

The only sound effects to appreciate have been the heroes' guns. No other extraordinary efforts in creating sound effects have been taken.

This comes along with camera/editing, lacking a view for details.

You never hear (or see) gloves grate when tightened. You never hear (or see) snap fasteners click when closing a knife's holster.

You never "hear" silence. - Back in the 80's, limiters were used to increase the impact of sound of a movie. Their use had been exaggerated so the the viewer was able to hear crackles when no-one talked. These were the most exciting moments because the viewer actually had the impression of adrenaline kicking through his own veins, which would have resulted in the same effect. The viewer could virtually hear a needle fall on the floor. Expendables 2 is missing both: Silence (and thereby suspense) and a limiter device.

~~ Rigging and Color Timing ~~

The whole movie is tainted blue. It's lacking pristine colours. The viewer feels more like watching Sleepy Hollow or Blade than watching an action Movie.

But for the worst: While the lighting people put lights on the stage, they missed to put light on the actors' faces! The actors mostly are just black blurry shadows acting in front of the camera!

Moreover, the movie is missing highlights. The only highlight I could actually see was the sun shining through the airplane's windows. But that's all. Lighting technicians must have been on strike while making this movie.

~~ Camera and editing ~~

Camera end final cut are awful.

The camera did not focus on details at all. You never see macro close-ups, e.g. showing a hand either tightening a glove or clasping a knife in the holster. You never see someone's eyes focusing on anything.

This becomes particular annoying during action scenes: Every actor is almost immediately shooting around. There's not a single arming/preparing sequence in the move.

The camera never follows a flying knife, or any other of the rare non-shotgun weapons, on its way.

The whole cut is always either hasty or boring. Anyway. it's rendering many potentially relevant scenes irrelevant.

~~ Story telling ~~

This flick is a patchwork of about a dozen common-or-garden stories, each told within 5 minutes, and none of them adds value to the movie.

There is not a moment of suspense in the movie. What happens on the screen is either boredom (like the actors waiting for night to come) or immediate action. The viewer never is ahead (or behind) of the actors' knowledge.

The jokes don't bring relief to a suspenseful moment. They are mostly referring to the age of the actors.

I don't like being reminded of being too old when watching an action flick with my old heroes. I want them to surprise me. I want them to show me what they can still do! Either join the action as a hero or stay out of it.

I'm missing the funny chats, the ambiguity between brave heart killers and sentient men, like the Lee/Stallone dialog in part 1. Or the Mickey Rourke scenes from part 1. The coffee/spaghetti cooking scene is funny though.

The whole story is missing detail and suspense. The villain never becomes a personal menace. His/their killing is performed without any reason. But a villain does not become a menace from just killing people at random.

Most character dialogs or monologues are bullshit. Few jokes are funny. Most of them aren't, particularly when they are making fun of the heroes' previous characters.

~~ All in all ~~

The flick is technically bad done.

I have had the impression of taking part in a video game, but not of watching a Rambo style quality action movie.

I've been missing soundness in the characters' portrayal.

I've been missing suspense, in story, sound and musical score.

There have been too many heroes in the movie. None of them got enough time to fill his role. Less would have been more.

I loved how Thomas Danneberg managed to German-dub both, Silvester Stallone and Arnold Schwarzenegger.

My conclusion: The second part of a series always is bad. Seems to be a mathematical law, waiting to be cracked yet.

However, I'm very much looking forward to a third (better) part!
78 out of 135 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Utter Rubbish
bulge40243 October 2012
I'm an eighties kid. So it's fair to say I love every single actor in this as iv grown up with them.

But what a bad film!! Possibly the worst script ever combined with great special effects and stupid far fetched battle scenes. I think that sums it up.

One to watch when bored.

I'm not hating on the actors, in fact I loved the cast, it's just seriously come on! Do they actually watch the film after they've shot it and think "yea! That's a great film" Or do they just take the pay check and forget about it.
91 out of 160 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
old men past their sell by date embarrass themselves
obediahsilt5 September 2012
This movie, like the first Expendables, is utter garbage. It has practically nothing going for it. The script is nonexistent, the attempts at humour are excruciatingly embarrassing and the final fight scene is amateurish. The cinemaphotography is strangely cheap and grainy looking.

The main cast are far too old for this kind of thing, which is a shame since some of them were successful back in the day.

There is some entertainment to be had, primarily at the awful dialogue, Norris and Stallone's bad hairpieces. My wife was in hysterics at the entrance of Chuck Norris as some kind of iconic actor. Chuck Norris was a strictly b-movie actor even in his heyday and his heyday was a long long time ago.

This is not worth paying to see. If you're desperate wait for it on DVD.
84 out of 147 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Fine for a matinée I guess....
m_wonderful9 September 2012
The good....Jason Statham. I like anything he does.

The rest....This is not a bad movie. I knew what to expect, I got it.

I think Charisma Carpenter even at 42 years of age is amazingly hot. Why does she get only about 1 minute if that camera time? Why even have her in it? She was wasted yet again. At least have her in some lingerie or why not even have her in some sexy outfit going on a mission? This is the biggest fault of the movie. More Charisma next time!!!

Sorry, but except for Statham and Willis, these guys have dramatically aged. They look really old and tired, just going through the motions. Expendables 3 might be about some terrorists invading their nursing home I'd imagine. I loved all these guys in their prime, but c'mon, it's getting silly, grandpa.

VanDamme is a good bad guy. He looks old, too.

The best thing is injecting the Chinese girl in this movie. She doesn't really add anything except just a fresh character, but it helped a bit.

If you know the drill and just want some boom boom fun, it's decent. If you don't, why would you bother except to gripe to try to make yourself look superior to the masses?
33 out of 53 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this