The Color Out of Space (2010) Poster

A fine adaptation, among the best based on a HPL work.
Necrometer25 November 2011
This is a well-done adaptation of H.P. Lovecraft's "The Colour out of Space". The biggest disappointments come from some poor production choices, but if you set these aside there isn't much to complain about. The story is set in Germany and effectively recreates the layered narration typical to so many HPL stories. The minor liberties taken with the story are thoughtful and even enhance the tale a bit. I'd put this on par with the 2005 silent-film "The Call of Cthulhu" as one of the best HPL adaptations ever made. Definitely check it out if you are a fan of Lovecraft or of understated horror.

If you're looking for a more in-depth review, there are plenty on the web, and I've found most to be on-point and accurate.
45 out of 46 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A nice slow interpretation of a classic Lovecraft tale
Rabh174 September 2016
This one should be on the list of anyone who loves Lovecraft. While this one doesn't have any of the more well known Mythos in it...it's a measured telling of what is actually a Tale of the Unknown more than it is a Horror Story.

The use of Black & White may look cheap, but it fits with the tone and tenor of the era that it was set in. Color TV did not exist then. The CGI may look simple...but the focus of the story is the people and the 'Colour'. Sometimes when the FX is stunning...you only see the FX and not the story. And Good Horror is more than simply good CGI.

The Telling of the story as a mix of English and German with Subtitles was a different experience, but it didn't subtract from the tale, because the story moves slowly enough that the subtitles are there long enough to be read and become pseudo-invisible. Besides, a hallmark of Lovecraft is that most of the stories are a RE-TELLING of past events thru the witness's eyes and memory Again-- this one is a slower, langourous story. Told through the eyes of the German farmboy who grew up when the meteor came down. And I dare say, the film makers polished and filled in some of the blanks of the original short story. There is no scientific explication by any of the characters here, but you will see that what happened was the intersection of the Earthly with the UN-Earthly...and unfortunately and tragically for the people in the valley...the presence of the Unearthly is just simply inimical to earthbound Life.

This one is good for a Late, after midnight viewing on Saturday night.
7 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
One of the best current Lovecraft adaptations
spetersen-79-96204423 April 2014
I had heard of this film, but had dismissed it, pretty much because after seeing DIE MONSTER DIE, and THE CURSE, I had decided I was done with "Colour Out of Space" knock-offs. They're nearly as bad as the "Lurking Fear" knock-offs.

A friend I trust strongly recommended it to me, and so I bought a copy. I am so glad.

DIE FARBE is in black and white, and it is a period piece. It takes place in three time periods – 1975, the 1930s, and finally 1945. The film-makers moved the action to Germany (where they are located), and World War II is referenced, but they did not make the mistake of having the war be the central topic.

DIE FARBE is well worth seeing for any Lovecraft fan. One clever touch they achieved was that the only color in the movie is THE Colour, if you get my meaning, but even here they are very subtle. The first few times the Colour shows up it is pale, and easy to miss or (more likely) to leave you uncertain you saw anything.

WHY DIE FARBE RULES The movie doesn't follow the stale Hollywood 3-act plot sequence (apparently it is taught in school nowadays, mentally shackling new generations of would-be screenwriters). Instead, the movie simply builds up a more and more ominous mood until finally horror comes to fruition.

The film also doesn't follow the execrable trope of trying to explain everything either before or after the fact. It just lets the events unfold, yet remain inexplicable. Of course, this leads to confusion for spoon-fed viewers. But after all the whole point to the Colour is that we cannot understand it – it is an entity so alien that the only way it can interact with us is to feed.

The sets and cinematography were excellent, in my opinion. The actors were decent, though not not world-beaters. Sometimes the film is a little slow, but that is the nature of a mood-piece. I was certainly never bored.

WHY DIE FARBE DROOLS Well, it doesn't really drool. But it has a very few minor weaknesses. One is the fact that the supposedly all-American protagonist early in the film speaks English with a strong German accent. I sympathize with the film-makers. Given that he was the guy they wanted, they were stuck with his non-American nature I guess.

I still liked the show though. That minor false step didn't ruin it. Check it out.
10 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Boys and Brown Leaves
tedg2 March 2015
Very spooky, slow. Based on a Lovecraft story.

The trigger event has a meteorite landing and exhibiting inscrutable properties, diffusing into the air. It is the remnants of a craft. German scientists from the 30s — one of our most enduring stereotypes — cannot figure it out, but before it disappears, they make the mistake of breaking the sphere embedded within. A colored goo is released and joins the water.

A nearby farm family with three boys come under the influence of this 'color,' and it is this deterioration that we see in our spooky parts. The film is in black and white, effectively using devices that evoke the silent era. The goo is rendered in color when we see it and that worked less well for me.

The narrative structure is what sets this apart. It has story in three periods. The focus is the appearance of the goo and over a year the deterioration of the family as witnessed by a neighbor.

A later period has this neighbor returning from WWII and encountering a group of occupying US GIs. Though they have no reason, and are warned, the leader decides to investigate the cursed farm. They provoke the goo in the farm's well and see it assemble and fly away from the planet.

Decades later, the head GI has returned and we follow his adult son as he seeks him, encounters the now aged witness and hears everything we have seen. Meanwhile, a dam has newly been built over the infected farm and the water is rising. The son finds and gathers his now crazed father at the edge of the water.

What works is having the elderly witness tell us the story from the 30s and see it in terms of films from that era. Watching the sons through this period was tough and touching. We could have had more of this and less of the brooding wife.

What did not work for me:

— the extra level of the soldier after WWII. This seems to be there only to tell us that the goo is still alive and to give us someone to later tell the story to.

— But in this segment, we see what could be all the goo assemble into something like a spacecraft and leave. But then are we to think that some remains. The oft-murmered question of whether "it is over" is not powerful enough to affect me.

— The finding of the lost father could tell us the answer to that question. He seems altered by some remaining force, or was he just suffering from what came before. We don't need answers to every question; this kind of story is better off with mysteries. But the filmmaker owes it to us to not raise unnecessary questions.
3 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Brave but flawed attempt to film Lovecraft
justbob198219 April 2017
Version I saw: DVD release

Actors: 5/10

Plot/script: 5/10

Photography/visual style: 7/10

Music/score: 5/10

Overall: 5/10

Lots of low-budget attempts have been made to film the work of H.P. Lovecraft but, aside from Re-Animator, nothing with any particular profile. Whether studios are scared of his reputation as a racist, or his old-fashioned, stilted prose, we so far have to settle for productions like this German one if we want to see his considerable legacy on screen.

Lovecraft's story 'The Colour Out of Space' is set in a rural New England village where a meteorite crashes, and spreads a malign influence that poisons everything and everyone around it. I remember it striking me that this could be read as a fanciful exaggeration of the way radioactive material can contaminate an area, but I digress.

For this movie, writer/director Huan Vu has retained the New England setting and period, although he makes the questionable decision to add that the community is a German American one, thus allowing them to get away with dialogue in German as well as a wild variation of accent quality on the English lines. The acting in general is not exactly of the highest quality. The period setting does allow a parade of fashionable waistcoats though, and a generally hipsterish look to the costumes.

The decision to film in black and white is part of what seems to me by far the best aspect of the film. In the novella, the very nature of the artifact, its sheer other-worldliness, is what causes its toxic effect, and specifically its never-before-seen colour. Well, we know what colour is now, and what lies at its limits, so filming it is a problem. Vu gets around this by making the object the only thing that has colour in a black-and-white world, a touch of visual invention that I wholeheartedly applaud. It combines with some other cinematic touches to impressive effect.

The pacing is a problem, and I am not sure a feature length film was the right medium for this story. What is added is not unambiguously good either.

All in all, a mixed bag. A good attempt, and I hope they try again, but this is not quite the Lovecraft adaptation we have been waiting for.
3 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Perhaps the best adaptation of Lovecraft up to date
Bored_Dragon27 November 2018
The black and white German movie "Die Farbe (The Color)" from 2010 is made after the short story "The Color Out of Space" from 1927 by Howard Phillips Lovecraft and it is one of the best adaptations of this author. The story itself has an interesting premise, but it doesn't leave a particularly strong impression as almost nothing is happening. However, in terms of the story, I did not even have high expectations, because I read Lovecraft's original and there is also an emphasis almost solely on the atmosphere. Excellent black and white cinematography, directing, and peculiarly striking sound quite well convey Lovecraft's dark atmosphere from the very beginning. The idea to adapt this story in black and white is a very effective solution, because in the color film it is impossible to show nonexistent color, and virtually any color inserted in the movie after an hour of building colorless environment can be perceived as "the color out of space." I recommend that you watch the movie in complete silence, preferably with the headphones, because the sound is convincingly the most powerful element of this movie. Sounds that logically should be in the background, like ticking of the clock, the wind, the drumming of the rain on the window, creaking floorboards underfoot and the like, here are clearly highlighted and cause discomfort to the viewer, who may not even realize what disturbs him. I only realized it when I put the headphones, after twenty minutes of the movie. In my case, the strongest effect has been achieved by the omnipresent buzzing of insects, which varies from the background noise to the feeling that some pterodactyl just passed through my brain, and without which the film would be significantly less eerie. This film contains elements of science fiction, horror, drama, and mystery, but none of these genres describe it properly. I think it would be best to describe it only as a quality adaptation of Lovecraft, because in the literature he is also a genre for itself.

0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
nice story cheap CGI
trashgang21 September 2015
I came across this flick at a German horror convention were the director was selling this flick. Supporting independent flicks I gave it a try but somehow it took me 5 years to plug it in. Why now, because nowadays it's available in the US and it got some great reviews in magazines so it was time to watch it.

Shot in B/W it did add something towards this Lovecraftian story. It's a low budget flick but it's well done i must say. They went for the story and not for too much effects so the B/W did add towards the atmosphere. It's slow, that's a fact but once the weirdness enters the story it's okay. People who love Lovecraft should pick this up because it do stays really close to the story. But not only that, the editing and filming is above mediocre.

The only thing that I had problems with is with the CGI used. It was rather cheapie and it shows. So on part of story it's excellent but towards the end the CGI makes it a bit lame.

Gore 0/5 Nudity 0/5 Effects 1/5 Story 3/5 Comedy 0/5
2 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Good film, but the language !!
munir-723 December 2014
This is an amazingly precise adaption of Lovecraft's novel. The Black & white, together with the slow pace and sober atmosphere of the whole movie, works well in creating an atmosphere that really comes close to reading H.P. Lovecraft. There is one major mistake though that I think spoils the whole film: Language! The main part of the story is set to a remote village in or near the Black Forest, which absolutely makes sense. But in such a place, given the 1930's, people would speak dialect, except perhaps the scientists. In the film they don't! As a result, the spoken language sounds dry and synthetic, like a bad synchronization. (Compared to this, the obviously German actor playing an American is minor, and when the young man tries to speak "bad German with American accent", it's simply hilarious. - If they couldn't find or afford appropriate actors, why didn't they make it a silent movie? Maybe only native German speakers will notice that, but as far as I am concerned, this flaw prevented me until now from watching "Die Farbe" a second time. Which is a pity, because everything else is really well made and congenial to H.P. Lovecraft's style - something that can't be said about many HPL adaptations.
2 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Slightly atmospheric, but underwhelming in all other areas
Horst_In_Translation21 December 2016
"Die Farbe" or "The Colour Out of Space" is a German, (mostly) German-language film from 2010 and so far the most recent work by Vietnamese writer and director Huan Vu, his second full feature film. "Writer" is of course only partially correct here as the base material comes from the fairly famous American writer H.P. Lovecraftand Vu adapted his work for the screen here. I have not read Lovecraft's work, but I am sure that his involvement with the project is the main reason why this film is actually somewhat known still. It is not too long, only runs for 80 minutes (without credits) and is almost exclusively in black-and-white. It is the story of a man looking for his father and the strange occurrences he meets on the way. The film does not really deliver through great story-telling, but in my opinion it is all about the haunting atmosphere in here. There were some scenes that were okay to watch, but overall I was not too impressed. The scene with the huge insect gave me the chills though, now that was some scary stuff for sure. But it is just not enough for a film of this runtime and maybe half the runtime could have been a better choice. Anyway, after seeing this one I cannot say I am particularly sad about Vu's lack of filmmaking in the last six years as the movie did not get me curious about other works from him. The ending wasn't that great either and the sudden inclusion of color into black-and-white films has been done better on many occasions. This film came out shortly after the very successful "Das weiße Band" (Haneke), another black-and-white movie, and I wonder if this inspired Vu perhaps to make this creative choice as well. Anyway, the outcome here is underwhelming. I give it a thumbs-down and do not recommend checking it out.
0 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.