Top Gun: Maverick (2022) Poster

3,254 Reviews
The real cinema experience!
alexglimbergwindh30 May 2022
If there's any movie that deserves to be seen in the theaters with big screens and booming speakers. It's :Top Gun Maverick.

One of my best experiences in years!
825 out of 938 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Let me just say...
I was reluctantly dragged into the theater, thinking that they didn't need to make a Top Gun 2 and that the first one was where that story needed to end.

I could write a couple paragraphs to summarize my feelings after walking out of the theater, but I'm going to leave it with just one sentence.

I was wrong.
1,413 out of 1,562 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Flying High
DarkVulcan2927 May 2022
Top Gun (1986) made Tom Cruise a star, and now 36 years later he jumps back in role of Pete Mitchell AKA Maverick almost like he never left.

Maverick never seems let his age slow him down, and still is cocky has ever, and is ordered to train a bunch of young pilots for a deadly mission, but sees a little bit of himself in them, and must get them working together has a team.

Tom Cruise is great has Maverick, who is coming to terms with the past. Miles Teller and Glen Powell are also great, and not to mention Jennifer Connelly. But the flying scenes are what makes this movie, you feel like your flying with them. Feels has real has ever. A terrific sequel 36 years worth the wait.
536 out of 674 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
What an excellent sequel
r96sk25 May 2022
What an excellent sequel - I, in fact, like it more than its predecessor.

'Top Gun: Maverick' is fantastic, simply put. I was expecting it to be good, but it's actually much more enjoyable than I had anticipated. The callbacks to the original are expertly done, the new characters are strong/well cast, it has plenty of meaning, music is fab and the action is outstanding - the aerial stuff is sensational.

The story is superb, with each high stake coming across as intended - parts even gave me slight goosebumps, which is a surprise given I'm not someone who has a connection to the 1986 film. It's all super neatly put together, I honestly came close to giving it a higher rating.

Tom Cruise is brilliant as he reprises the role of Maverick, while Miles Teller comes in and gives a top performance. Jennifer Connelly is another positive, though her role does kinda feel a tiny bit forced in order to have a love interest; given Kelly McGillis' (unexplained) absence.

Monica Barbaro stands out most from the fresh faces, though I actually did enjoy watching them all - which is something I thought the film may struggle with, adding new people, but it's done nicely; sure Jon Hamm and Glen Powell are a little cliché, though overall I approve.

A great watch - I'd highly recommend it, though naturally would suggest watching the previous film first if you haven't already.
511 out of 644 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A perfect gift to all Top Gun fans
DVR_Brale4 June 2022
There are so many references to the original that I was brought to childhood when I had first seen it.

The best cinematic experience of my life and a perfect gift to all Top Gun fans.
369 out of 461 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Tom Cruise really knows how a blockbuster film is made.
cruise0129 May 2022
5 out of 5 stars.

Top Gun Maverick is an awesome action film that lives up to the original film and way superior as well. It is one awesome thrill ride that will have the audiences gasping for air with its exhilarating aerial combat scenes.

The plot is great. It continues with Maverick (Tom Cruise) being assigned to train new pilots before they go off on a challenging mission. Rooster (Miles Teller) is among the recruits which Maverick tries to reconnect after the incident with his father in the previous film.

The plot tries to build an emotional powerhouse as Maverick are neck to neck about the past. And Maverick trying to get these pilots prepared for there first combat.

The script is great and fast moving. Director Joseph Kosinski nails making a blockbuster film. Making the action sequences cinematic. And big and loud. Majority of the action scenes are practical and realistic which makes it better. The climatic sequence with the pilots on the mission was awesome and thrilling. Definitely worth seeing this film on the biggest screen with great sound quality.

The cast ensemble is great. Tom Cruise nails making a big action film. Cant wait to see what he does with his next films. Miles Teller also was good. Jennifer Connelly playing Mavericks past love interest. The new additions were all great as well. The music score was awesome.

The opening sequence gives you the chills with its similiarities to the first.

Top Gun Maverick is one of the best films this year. Amazing action sequences that is cinematic and big. And big film that deserves to be seen in theatres.
321 out of 423 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A Cruise of a Missile...
Xstal7 September 2022
It's like a modern interpretation of The Dam Busters, but with jet propelled planes and huge thrusters, an impossible road, to deliver a load, with all the courage the pilots can muster. There might be a bit of Star Wars in there too.

A cinematically impressive piece of film making that will probably act as the best piece of recruitment propaganda the navy or air force could ever have wished for. Some solid acting, Tom plays Tom as he always tends to, and the rest of the cast fill the stereotypical roles as required.

I ended up revisiting the 1980s version prior to watching this and enjoyed it more than I thought, and it certainly helped to map a lot of parallels between the two, none more so than the irritating background synthesizer.
25 out of 29 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Talk to me Goose
kosmasp30 May 2022
It makes more than sense to have seen the first Maverick movie. I am writing this with that in mind. Actually I would even argue that the rating also had something to do with it. Watching it on the big screen also helps a lot of course. My summary line is actually a quote from the movie. Not just the first one, but one that is being said here too. And you will get the full impact of that sentence, of those words, if you know what they mean and why they are said.

There are quite a few connections to the first movie, but there is also nods to real life. Especially with Val Kilmer in mind. And all is serving the story - even the real life struggle Kilmer has, that gets woven into the character Iceman. So there are two of the big stars of the first one name checked - what about Kelly McGillis though? Well don't hold your breath (it is being taken away, sorry for the pun)! She is not returning. Now you could be mad at the movie for that - or you could salute it for bringing "back" a character that was only name checked in the first movie - and being played by the wonderful Jennifer Connely.

Now is she as beautiful as ever? Yes. But she is also close to the age of Tom Cruise that some other names could have been. Of course do not overthink the age thing, because you'd find that her real age would have been inappropriate during the time of the first movie ... just saying. Again: do not overthink it at all.

Those things out of the way, we get introduced to a whole bunch of new characters. There probably is not as much ... well male on male energy here as there was in the first one. Even in the dialog - you just feel it. Don't give me that look (and yes I know it is the only one you've got - especially when I bring the puns)! There is more than a coherent story - and the movie takes its time to tell it. There is plenty of action too.

There is also technical talk that I didn't totally understand. But it is not necessary to get the movie or enjoy it. And then there is the ending - and what a perfect ending this has. So much so, that I decided it deserves the 10 rating I finally gave it. It may copy many things from the first movie (call it homage), especially the intro but also some story beats, but it still stands ... or rather flies on its own! Just buckle your seatbelt, because you may get dizzy.

First time watching I could spot the music cues from the first one, but there were also some fresh elements to it. If I didn't know Lady Gaga was at least partly (big parts if I understood correctly) responsible for the soundtrack, I wouldn't have guessed myself to be honest. As it is, one of the biggest highlights in cinemas this year - the waiting was worth it. If you feel the need .. the need for speed - your need will be satisfied here (or rather in cinemas). Even being able to predict story points will not take away anything from the experience you can have with this. Enjoy.
310 out of 422 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
This Topped and Outgunned the Original
thesar-229 May 2022
See? This is why I LOVE Tom Cruise Post-Mid-1992. Aside from the RARE misfire, cough, cough, The Mummy, when Tom Cruise wants a movie to be better than perfect, he pushes it past Mach 10.

The first half of this adventure made me feel this is the perfect and worthy sequel to the original. AND THEN...the second half kicked in thoroughly SURPASSING the original by a landslide. Now, it certainly will not have the impact on the 2020s as the original did for the 1980s - that's lightning that can't be caught twice. But, rest assured: this simultaneously saluted the 1986 classic and then told it to hold its beer.

Maverick never changed. And just went he was about to use up his seemingly endless supply of luck, he got recruited back into the "Top Gun" division to get the elite ready for a, dare I?, almost Impossible Mission. Oh, and there's a ton of drama and obligatory dick-measuring thrown in.

What matters most is: the setup for the film takes place perfectly in the first act giving us clear direction (something the original lacked,) and gave us goals with character building to anticipate and cheer on. When the climax began, it's WAS exactly what I wanted, until it went on another 15 minutes to make the movie SOAR beyond my expectations.

While the acting was superb from the Veterans, it wasn't all that great from the fresh new recruits. That was to be expected. Much like their characters in the movie, they're learning to be the best. And they may someday.

The movie's music is not as great as the original, but the movie used it sparingly, correctly and with some great new tracks. The original knew it had a killer soundtrack and overdid it. This one showed the restraint it needed.

If you loved the first one, there's virtually no way you wouldn't love this even more. It's absolutely perfect for those who were there buying tickets for the original and it's also great for newbies so they can learn to appreciate the classics and understand: with age comes experience and that should never be mocked. It should be learned from and used to progress.

And to Top it all off, all of the practical stunts and aerial shots made 10x more sense and easier to follow this time around. I just rewatched the original last night for only the second time (the first being on home video in 2015) and my head was literally spinning to follow the action in the sky. Here, they make sure no one is left in the dust.

I can't recommend this movie enough and to see it in theatres, preferably a Dolby-certified one. Don't wait for Paramount+ to pick this up (like I normally would.) Go see this now on the big screen as it should be seen and don't miss out like I did with the original in 1986.

***

Final Thoughts: I *just* made my Top Ten Tom Cruise movie list, time to update it:

1. A Few Good Men 2. Mission: Impossible - Fallout 3. Edge of Tomorrow 4. Mission: Impossible - Rogue Nation 5. Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol 6. Top Gun: Maverick 7. Collateral 8. Jerry Maguire 9. Knight and Day 10. Mission: Impossible III

Honorable Mentions:

11. Top Gun 12. Oblivion 13. The Firm 14. Interview with the Vampire 15. Rain Man 16. Vanilla Sky.
280 out of 381 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The most feel-good action movie in recent times.
Prashast_Singh28 May 2022
Having loved Top Gun, I clearly wasn't going to miss Top Gun: Maverick, and also being a fan of Tom Cruise, I knew the best place to watch it would be the big screen. I totally enjoyed the film as I watched it with a helping of popcorn. There were moments where I felt excited, emotional and even laughed along with the other viewers. It delivers light, simple and sweet entertainment in a delicious mix of action, drama, some romance and humor in a delightful manner.

Tom Cruise shines in his performance where he is required to display a good range of emotions and has a good chemistry with Jennifer Connelly, while also impressing us in the action sequences as he always does. Speak of which, the action is very beautifully executed as well as filmed. Every time the jets turned, I felt like my head moved along in the same direction. This effect is repeated multiple times and ends up immersing the viewer into the thrill of the action. It's very clean and neatly done, and never violent at all. The film has no adult content, due to which you can watch it with your families.

The music and score are terrific, and the cinematography is another major plus. Some might find the initial few acts a little slow, but the action sequences completely steal the show, especially in the lengthy and spellbinding final act. The editing is top notch, as the film never feels long or stretched. I was actually surprised how short it felt, and in a good way. Top Gun: Maverick is a very feel-good action movie with realistic action and emotions to deliver an experience of a lifetime. If you enjoyed Top Gun, chances are you will find yourself loving this film even more, for Cruise once again proves he's the man to look for when quality action is what viewers crave. Must watch on the big screen. Period.
239 out of 327 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Amazing entertainment
8512222 June 2022
Greetings from Lithuania.

I wasn't the biggest fan of first "Top Gun" movie. I saw it like 5 years ago so for me it wasn't nostalic or anything. It was just OK movie and nothing more.

Today i saw "Top Gun: Maverick" (2022) in cinema. And it blew me away. This movie was incredible. It literally put a smile on my face. Action scenes in the air were the best i ever saw of this type of action. Directing by Joseph Kosinski was perfect. Music was on spot. Cinematography was gorgeous. I loved how actually calm and quite this movie was, until it wasn't and transition between scenes, acts, calm and action was perfect. Acting was great. This is a movie making as good as it gets. Was it predictable? Yes. But at the same time i was excited and glued to the screen during its whole 2 hours run time.

Overall, "Top Gun: Maverick" is a Hollywood blockbuster done right. Its a Hollywood action adventure movie in every possible way, yet this time its done incredibly good. What a terrific sequel.
168 out of 233 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Holy cow such a great IMAX experience!
UniqueParticle31 May 2022
Tom Cruise is still an ultimate being at 59 years old it's outstanding! Top Gun: Maverick deserves so much for how practical everything is. Great the IMDb rating is 8.7 hope it stays high, should even get awards. The music hit the spot, cinematography is beautiful, the story flow well, and the acting is incredible so much so that even though Val Kilmer has mouth cancer in real life he has a small part in the film. I like how the main characters trained for a near impossible mission that all was built up quite well.
176 out of 246 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
TOM CRUISE YOU LEGEND!
nihal-3854425 May 2022
This is one of the best theatrical experiences I've had and I'm so happy someone has taken the practical route rather than throwing everyone into a green screen. I watched the first one many times and I can't believe this just topped it by a huge margin. Tom Cruise will be written as the most passionate filmmaker in history. I mean to put a whole cast in a bunch of f-18 jets and act in a jet as well as film yourself is a huge deal. If this movie does not cross a billion then there is something wrong with taste that people have these days. So called marvel fans. This is what you call a cinematic experience. Not some cropped cgi scenes.
499 out of 609 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Great Flight Sequences, Cliche-Ridden Plot
Stoshie18 June 2022
I don't share everyone's unbridled enthusiasm for this film. It is indeed a great popcorn flick, with outstanding aerial photography and maneuvers. But 10 stars? There are few, if any, movies that are perfect, and deserve that kind of rating.

The problem with the film is the plot. It is so filled with age-worn cliches that one could easily tell what was coming from beginning to end. I mean, you had to know who was going to save the day at the end, and you had to know what was going to happen when Maverick jumped out of Penny's window. Those are just two examples of the many obvious plot points that you could see coming a mile away. I could list them all, but it would take up too much space here. Basically the entire plot was entirely predictable.

The opening scene, especially, was straight out of Hollywood Screenplay Writing 101. I mean, seriously, how many times have we seen that subplot? Countless.

There were no characters in the movie, either. They were all caricatures, stereotypes. No depth to any of them. They had their standard roles to play, and that was it.

Did I enjoy the film? Sure, it was fun. Especially on a big theater screen with a loud sound system. Did I take anything away from the film? Did it make me think about anything after it was over? Nah. Will I see it again? Nah.

I will give Tom Cruise credit for including Val Kilmer in the cast. Considering his health problems, that was a nice touch.

So, yeah, enjoy the film. Sit back with your bag of popcorn and enjoy the g-forces. But don't pretend it is anything other than just another summer blockbuster.
99 out of 131 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Paid for the whole seat, but only used the edge
pucciarello28 May 2022
I'll preface my review by first stating that I had mediocre expectations coming in. It's very hard to make a successful sequel to an older classic movie, but I was immediately entertained from beginning to end. I won't give any spoilers, but I'll list my biggest takeaways from the movie.

1. The flying scenes were incredible and had me on the edge of my seat.

2. Tom cruise and miles teller were awesome.

3. I want to quit my job and become a fighter pilot now.

This movie is definitely worth paying for imax tickets and I suggest you get a big water bottle cause you will be sweating profusely as Maverick cuts through the sky like butter.
493 out of 576 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Best movie of 2022!
trimblair26 May 2022
Wow! As a retired combat veteran who has flown jets, I LOVED THIS MOVIE! It had massive heart, great action and wonderful Cameos. The flying scenes were the best I've seen. Nobody left the theater for 90 minutes!
196 out of 276 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A CONTENDER FOR MOVIE OF THE YEAR. WHAT AN EXPERIENCE! 🎥🍿🛫
Just Saw This In IMAX and guys what an experience it was.

Components of this Movie-

1. Firstly what a cast! EVERY SINGLE CHARACTER seemed like they were having a Great Time Acting in this movie. INCLUDING the serious minded Admirals. Great Performances all around.

2. Every Scene flows so well. The time flew by.

3. Many of the Jokes Landed Strongly throughout the Movie with the audience I was with. Especially the "You Told Me Not to Think" Scene. 😂🤣

4. The Visuals of the Fighter Jet Scenes were Astonishing. They looked so good.

5. The Story was good enough, on top of that, the suspense was built up throughout towards the Actual Mission. With The Training Missions and Different Conundrums the Team Faced.

Overall, What A Movie and Going Further, What an Experience it was.
252 out of 361 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
BEST FILMS OF THE YEAR SO FAR!!!
HabibieHakim12325 May 2022
Basically my only problem with the first Top Gun is the relationship between Maverick and Charlie, the love story, i'm fine with them at first but later on i don't care anymore, that's it, the rest of the first Top Gun was badass, it was great and it was fascinating, Top Gun: Maverick, a long wait sequel, my first problem with this movie is nothing, zero, and yes there is still a love story in this one but i like it, it did not bother me at all, i'm fine with it, is it necessary? No, but Jennifer Connelly performance is convincing enough, the rest of Top Gun: Maverick is a visually well done film, the movie succeed to make me feel so intense and it's really probably the most intense feeling i got in a non-horror movie, the movie is also surprisingly emotionally moving, Maverick is never been a guy that i was that adored, and as a character a fanatic, but somehow someway i feel like i was know him longer than ever, i feel closer to him more than ever, and i was care to him way more than ever, all the new Top Gun team is as exciting as the previous one and probably even more, Miles Teller is really the second best performance in here next to Tom Cruise, a very very powerful performances by Miles Teller, the music like the first one was great, the score, and of course the whole plane sequence was just terrific, overall Top Gun: Maverick is one of those movie that you have to watch in the theaters not only because it's a great movie but the sound and the visual is a big screen only experience, it's a way better movie than the first one too, i loved every second of this movie, it is truly a very emotional ride, it's a very fun ride, it's a very intense ride, and at in the end the whole movie is a fantastic ride, Top Gun: Maverick is so far for me the best films of the year.
173 out of 265 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
One of the best sequels ever
masonsaul28 May 2022
Top Gun: Maverick accomplishes a very rare feat of being a long gestating sequel that is not only worthy of the original but actually better than it. Managing to retain the spirit of the original whilst also adding stronger stakes, a more emotionally involving narrative and better written characters.

Tom Cruise is perfect as Maverick, bringing all the charm and star power but also adding much needed dramatic weight and sorrow to the character. He also has great chemistry with Jennifer Connelly, who is a strong love interest with lots of warmth and humanity.

All of the new cast fit in perfectly and are all really memorable but Miles Teller is definitely the standout with a satisfying character arc and has equally great chemistry with Cruise. Val Kilmer's inclusion was a superb decision and is handled with immense love and respect.

Joseph Kosinski's direction is absolutely amazing. The film looks amazing overall with some nice homages to Tony Scott's iconic style but the standout is definitely the flight sequences which are truly astonishing and satisfyingly practical.

Sifting through hours upon hours of footage, the flight sequences are edited together in spectacular fashion, extremely comprehensible and never boring. The film itself has excellent pacing, naturally building to a thrilling climax that just keeps escalating.

The soundtrack and music by Harold Faltermeyer, Lady Gaga and Hans Zimmer is also perfect. All the classics you expect are present and used in satisfying ways and the new music is appropriately epic. The new songs by Lada Gaga and One Republic are so good, utilised at the right moments and equally catchy and memorable.
118 out of 181 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I did not expect that.
Sleepin_Dragon19 June 2022
Wow!

I have just walked out of the cinema, and feel absolutely buzzing, a two hour thrill ride, what a spectacular movie this was.

I so often feel disappointed by hyped up films, but this deserves all the hype, and then some.

Top Gun is a classic, one of those films we've all seen, and many love. When I first heard about a follow up, I dreaded it, so many films have diabolical follow ups, almost damaging the original, definitely not the case here though, this is a great movie.

All involved were outstanding, Tom Cruise, clearly a perfectionist, and that side of him is evident here, I cannot find a single fault.

Visually amazing, great music, great story, superb acting.

Nailed it! 10/10.
72 out of 108 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
There are very few movies whose second movie is better than the first
jack_o_hasanov_imdb11 June 2022
It was a movie I expected, but it was a much better movie than I expected. There are very few movies whose second movie is better than the first, this movie is one of them. There were a lot of good things in the movie. Watching it in the cinema made the viewing pleasure better. I liked it very much. In addition, "Danger Zone" was indispensable and the first scene of the movie was happy Tom Cruise, bravo to you. Watch this movie now, but definitely in the cinema!
79 out of 119 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not bad, but waayy overrated.
Horror_Flick_Fanatic24 August 2022
Based on the scores, I was expecting a much better film. But I now get it., its the nostalgia for the first film that fuels the scores for this film.

Here is my take and why I think its an "okay" film, just not a great one. There really isn't a whole lot of meat and potatoes to this story. It's largely a copy pasta in large chunks from the older film but with newer, younger faces. Maverick is charged with training a squadron of top gun fighter pilots to destroy an enemy uranium enrichment plant that is about to come online and operational. But it seems the producers want to maximize the profits for this film and not offend anyone in the real world. So this enemy doesn't have a name or a geographical location. The enemy has 5th generation fighter jets and some James Bond evil villian sized SAM batteries around the mountain's summit. It is a snow covered terrain so that rules out many enemies in warmer climates.

Then there is the lone aircraft carrier delivering these jet fighters to the enemies doorstep. Well, by now most people know that wouldn't be the case. Carriers are heavily guarded and their presence would trigger the attention of any adversary. No way could four F18 sneak in under radar to blow up this plant unless we accept the enemy isn't aware of a huge freakin carrier of their shores. So there is nothing resembling a realistic scenario and that kept me from enjoying the story too much.

The romantic relationship in the film has no chemistry. I just didn't feel any chemistry between Penny and Maverick. That's a first because you do have two very good looking actors and I always thought Tom Cruise to be great action actor. So no chemistry between Cruise and Jennifer Connelly is a bitter pill to swallow.

What I did like about it was the cinematography and some of the action sequences with the dog fighting. But I didn't think the dog fighting were any better than the original film. In fact, the original film might have had better scenes. This film just has a lot of choppy editing to imply action.

I think its a 6/10, but not a chance it's a 9/10. Maybe if they added a Tom Clancy inspired screenplay to the film I might have given it a 9. Maybe a team of seals to do recon before having the jets engage and with the aircraft carrier companied by a battlegroup flotilla. Aircraft Carriers just don't end up secretly off the shore of adversarial country completely alone, not in the real world.
63 out of 95 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
More corn than the Jolly Green Giant
radhrh13 June 2022
I drove an hour each way to see this in a movie theater, my first visit to one a couple of years because I wanted to get the full cinematic experience. What I got was a huge pile of corn. If not for the flying sequences, which are awesome, the rest of the movie is a bit pants. Ed Harris is in it for a single scene, more of a cameo role than anything. Val Kilmer's scene was embarrassing. Jennifer Connelly is looking her age and plays a half baked love interest which frankly the film could have done without. Is she supposed to be the Kelly McGillis role from the original movie? She lives in a very similar house and she drives a Porsche so who knows? The plot revolves around a mission so uniquely unlikely that it makes the movie slightly preposterous. The cast of pilots don't hold a candle to the original cast and their characters are two dimensional and boring. It isn't Tom Cruise's best performance either playing the eponymous Maverick, a man still plagued by the death of his buddy, Goose from the first movie. Come on, man. That was 35 years ago, get over it FFS! Jon Hamm, who I normally like doesn't look comfortable playing Maverick's up tight commander and there's a scene of beach football which is supposed to mirror the volleyball scene from the first movie but just looks gay AF. Once again the flying scenes are unbelievable, by that I mean extremely believable. The actors must have actually been in the planes for at least some of the shots and CGI has been kept to a minimum which is great to see. But take away those sequences, which don't account for much run time, maybe 15% of total run time, and what you have left is quite poor.
185 out of 311 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Cruise remains a Top Gun
Fluke_Skywalker27 May 2022
Hollywood had lost its way long before streaming services and a global pandemic nearly made going to the cinema obsolete. Content to strip mine the comic book genre and reboot/reimagine and regurgitate beloved franchises, it had become stale and tired. It's ironic then that a sequel to a nearly 40 year old film (You read that right. Scary isn't it?) might be the thing that points the way to their salvation.

Top Gun: Maverick is a totally unnecessary film and on the surface it would seem to be Hollywood once again gnawing on a bone long since picked clean of any meat. The original Top Gun didn't exactly leave us with a bunch of unresolved issues or end on a cliffhanger. Just because a movie is good doesn't mean it needs a sequel. But here we are. And damn if they don't just manage to make it worthwhile, if still unnecessary.

Top Gun: Maverick follows many of the same story beats as the original, but the tone here is far less... 80s. Fitting as it's not, well, the 80s. That doesn't mean it's some sort of post-modern deconstruction of the titualar character or a naval gazing treatise. It's got plenty of humor and, most important of all, it isn't saddled with preaching a "woke" message or poking us in the chest with some ideological finger. It's a movie that just wants to entertain, and entertain it does.

Whatever you or I may think of Tom Cruise's "religious" beliefs, I dare anyone to say that there is an actor working today who brings the kind of passion and commitment to excellence to everything the way he does. He truly is the last real movie star, and I find myself appreciating him more and more with each passing year.

My quibbles are just that. The romance between Cruise's Maverick and the gorgeous Jennifer Connelly's Penny is a tad perfunctory, even though they do share a nice chemistry and Connelly is particularly good. The enemy is also faceless and nameless, likely in an attempt to not offend any particular market; though to be fair this was also the case in the original.

But these minor issues aside, Top Gun: Maverick is a refreshing throwback to a time when Summer films were fun, and after nearly 20 years of increasingly banal comic book, cgi shennanigans, it really hit the spot that much more.
86 out of 141 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Thank You!
Dan_Finn3 June 2022
Thank you for not ruining something as awesome as the original

Thank you for not just using CGI, therefore providing some of the greatest action ever to grace the screen

Thank you for making a sequel that didn't let me down

Thank you for showing Hollywood how to make a real movie again

... this is what happens when actors and producers really care about the original film showing it the respect it deserves instead of just raping it and the fans to make fast money.

One word final word - EPIC!
76 out of 103 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.