Too Big to Fail (TV Movie 2011) Poster

(2011 TV Movie)

first rate actors
SnoopyStyle27 January 2017
It's early 2008 and Lehman Brothers is falling. CEO Dick Fuld (James Woods) is stand-fast as he rejects an offer from Warren Buffett. He's not willing to sell low as he expects to weather the storm. A few months later, Lehman Brothers is collapsing. Secretary of the Treasury Hank Paulson (William Hurt), Chairman of the Federal Reserve Ben Bernanke, and President of the New York Fed Tim Geithner among others are struggling to gather private interests to bail out the failing investment bank as the contagion spreads.

The actors are first rate. I assume the writing is well-researched. It's a relatively clear telling of the events. As a narrative, it does lack the tension of an unknown story and the clarity of one lead character. This is a good companion piece to other docs about the subject.
AIG IS A BIG COMPANY
nogodnomasters5 December 2018
The financial crisis has made a splash in the film industry, ironically capitalizing on the failure of unregulated capitalism. There is also "Margin Call" and Wall Street: Money Never Sleeps." I couldn't help think about the LIBOR scandal that is on the horizon as this film mentions the major players and Barclays.

This film goes behind the scenes to show the phone calls and board rooms as the drama unfolds. The all-star cast gave us a credible performance. The characters are introduced by displaying their name and company affiliation on the screen. I wish they had used some flashier fonts and maybe some grindhouse swagger music as they walked in to talk to Treasury Secretary Henry Paulson (William Hurt) who is sometimes seen having breakfast with Fed Chair Ben Bernake played by Paul Giamatti.

Michele Davis (Cynthia Nixon) has to give a press conference and asks how to explain why AIG failed. At this point the movie comes together in one scene which explains the whole crisis in layman's terms and why mommies and kitties will die if AIG goes under...okay maybe not the last part, Ben Bernake does that later.

Billy Crudup plays Timothy Geithner the head of the NY Federal Reserve. His ideas and influence were instrumental in buying time for congress to act.

In looking toward Europe, they is a newer and scarier phrase: "Too big to save." This is a great film. I would also recommend the CNBC documentary "House of Cards."

PARENTAL GUIDE: No sex, no nudity, many F-bombs
0 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Scary all over again, for those of us who wondered if all our investments would vaporize in 2008.
TxMike10 March 2013
The year 2008 is a distant memory for many things, but for the financial crisis of 2008 it seems just so very recent. This movie, "Too Big To Fail", uses all the real people involved, and likely all the real dialog the filmmakers could dig up. The result is a very realistic, very chilling snapshot of how financial institutions can make or break our economy and our lives.

I am retired, in late 2007 and into 2008 I had a pretty big chunk of my savings in stock market related investments. When the financial markets started falling, then falling more, then almost dropping off a cliff, it was very worrying to think every thing I had spent 30+ years saving up might be worth almost nothing. Seeing this movie gives great insight into what all went on to create the crisis, then to help it level out and eventually start to recover.

Many characters are played by excellent, experienced actors, but the prime focus is William Hurt who does a super job as Henry Paulson , US Secretary of the Treasury. While he had no direct authority to make the large banks take actions that he and his team of specialists thought best, he had a tremendously persuasive position.

After a number of attempts to get a solution, the last desperate act was to get Congress to approve a $700Billion package that would be used as a stimulus, to selected banks, to encourage them to begin lending again. For without lending the economy could not hope to recover.

The news of that caused the stock markets to stabilize, with renewed investor confidence, and set the stage for a recovery. Ironically, the banks did NOT resume lending right away, but it was the news, the promise of better days that sparked the improvement.

The great news is that now 4 1/2 years down the road, the stock markets have reached new historical highs and unemployment continues to drop. There is no guarantee it will continue for long, but at least the indications are that the crisis is behind us.
3 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
simplified but still nauseating story of the big bank bailout
blanche-26 December 2013
"Let's see," says PR person Michele Davis, played by Cynthia Nixon, "we can't put any more restrictions on the way the banks are going to spend the $125 billion we're giving them, because they might not TAKE it?" Yeah, Michele, if you tell them they can't pay big fat bonuses with it and fund golden parachutes, they won't take it.

We all know that the banks were bailed out, and "Too Big To Fail" purports to tell us the real story. It doesn't because in order for it to be a movie, there have to be good guys and bad guys. Since it was all bad guys, it's a little skewered.

The good guy of the piece is that hard-working Secretary of the Treasury, Henry Paulson, beautifully portrayed by William Hurt. In the story, Paulson nearly has a nervous breakdown trying to save the world economy after investment companies start going bankrupt.

It's pointed out that Paulson has no conflict of interest even though he used to run Goldman Sachs because he dumped his stock in the company. That's true. Not mentioned was that for some reason he didn't have to pay any taxes on the sale, something like $50 million.

Then we get to the let's bail out AIG because they're in bed with everybody. Yeah. Their big creditor was Goldman Sachs. Paulson cheated the taxpayers out of $75 billion because, in order for Goldman to get all their money, he didn't negotiate the bailout.

He's the big hero, the one whose wife (Kathy Baker) tells him he's taking on too much. So you can imagine what the rest of this movie was like when we got down to the real bad guys, the banks.

Many people in the film ask, why didn't anyone see this coming? I have some other questions. Why didn't anyone know Bernie Madoff was a crook? Why didn't anyone know banks were lending money to dummy corporations at Enron? Paulson gives us the answer, "They were all making too much money, so nobody asked." The thieves, liars, guys with their heads in the sand, helpers, and pacifiers were played by a wonderful cast: John Hurd, James Wood, Billy Crudupp, Tony Shalhoub, Paul Giamatti, Cynthia Nixon, and Ed Asner. Asner played Warren Buffett, the only one with any money. As Ben Bernanke, Paul Giametti gives another standout performance.

Curtis Hanson did a brilliant job of directing -- one felt the tension and suspense every step of the way.

On a final note, the banks were given money so they could loan it out. Instead, they loaned out less. Their bonuses reached a peak in 2010, the highest amounts ever. Mattresses are looking better and better.
6 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Too Big to Fail-Beyond Economics 101 **1/2
edwagreen28 May 2011
You need more than freshman economics to follow this film dealing with the near collapse of the US economy in 2008. After the Lehman Brothers Account is settled, the film becomes totally confusing and you need your Ph.D to understand what is going on.

Paul Giamatti, who was so good as John Adams in that epic series, must have thought he was portraying Adams or an Adams-like character again. He is professorial in nature and he lectures to the viewers about the depression and how bad things can get.

William Hurt as the treasury secretary is appealing, and James Woods, an always reliable actor, shows here that he can use 4 letter words freely.

Another problem with the film is that it is in documentary form. Cynthia Nixon's pardon is like the typical team player in robot mode. Ditto for the rest of the film. Very disappointing.
2 out of 33 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Greed
jotix10023 July 2011
As we start watching this film, that plays like a documentary, we are given an introduction as to what caused the debacle in the United States economy system prior to the demise of the powerhouse Lehman Brothers. The US economy almost collapse because of the same people that became obscenely rich while the party was going on, were reluctant in fixing the main problem, as well as their responsibility in creating what led to its almost collapse.

Unfortunately, after all was said and done, things remained the same because even though the government, led by then Treasury secretary Henry Paulson, decided to inject cash for the banks to continue lending money to the industries and businesses that depended on it, the little people that did not have the power of the more powerful elite to continue operating were the ones that suffered the most.

On a positive note, the figure of Warren Buffet, the oracle of Omaha, comes out as the most level headed individual of all. He is a humble man when it comes to show off his wealth. In fact, the film shows him as the simple, unassuming person that he is. It is humbling for someone like Hank Paulson to seek advice from this great man that had a clear picture about the excesses the men at the center of the story had committed.

Curtis Hanson directed the HBO film, based on a novel of Andrew Ross Sorkin, with a screenplay by Peter Gould. The high financing world is examined by the filmmakers, trying to make sense about the fateful year of 2008. The best thing they achieved was the almost perfect match in the casting to play on the screen the principals involved in the story. The film requires a certain knowledge to follow the intricacies of that world, something that is not easily grasped by the general public.

William Hurt shines as Hank Paulson, the man at the center of the storm. We watch him walking up Seventh Avenue in Manhattan looking at what was Lehman Brothers' headquarters. Others in the film are Billy Crudup as Timothy Geithner. Paul Giamatti playing the bearded, and somber, Ben Bernanke. As Paulson's Treasury team there are wonderful performances by Cinthia Nixon, Joey Slotnick, Topher Grace and Ayan Akhtar. Almost all the other actors have only limited time in front of the camera, but their collective effort is notable.
5 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Well crafted and well acted but makes a false idol
AlsExGal9 December 2018
Specifically, Secretary of the Treasury Hank Paulsen is painted as having a great big unselfish S on his chest. I hate to parrot everyone else, but please watch "The Big Short" to see that everybody had blood on their hands.

HBO had to make SOMEBODY a hero in this, a film, not a documentary, so they chose Paulsen. In their version Paulsen is the somewhat naive guy who understands economics but does not understand human greed. The mechanics of what happened are well described. The dangers of what could have happened are well described. And there are several monologues where somebody - as part of conversation in a team meeting - explains how the big banks and investment houses got into this mess and then how AIG, the bank that insures the insurers, got swept up into everything.

The end of the film indicates that the big banks, with all of that fed supplied cash, just parked it and refused to loan it out - they were not required to do so - and the economy went into a downward spiral with hundreds of thousands losing their jobs and mortgage foreclosure becoming an epidemic.

I'd say the film is OK for grasping the basic mechanics of what went on, but understand it is a film and there has to be at least one hero - false or true - even if HBO is the producer and not Disney.
10 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A Masterstroke!
namashi_16 June 2012
'Too Big to Fail' talks about the 2008 financial meltdown, it gets into the roots & speaks the language of Wall Street. It's A Masterstroke of a film, because its compelling & shocking. Its a razor-sharp, no-holds-barred film, that works in every level.

'Too Big to Fail' Chronicles the financial meltdown of 2008 and centers on Treasury Secretary Henry Paulson.

'Too Big to Fail' is compelling & shocking. Peter Gould's Adapted Screenplay is gut-wrenching. Its so detailed & accurate, that it keeps surprising you. Curtis Hanson's Direction is top-notch. Cinematography & Editing are crisp.

Performance-Wise: James Woods as Dick Fuld, is terrific. Like always, the mesmerizing actor sinks his teeth into the part & performs fearlessly. William Hurt as Henry Paulson, is remarkable, yet again. Paul Giamatti as Ben Bernanke, is masterful. Billy Crudup as Timothy Geithner, is flawless & this performance ranks amongst his finest to date. Bill Pullman as Jamie Dimon & Tony Shalhoub as John Mack, are quite good. Topher Grace as Jim Wilkinson, plays his part like a pro. Cynthia Nixon as Michele Davis, deserves a special mention.

On the whole, 'Too Big to Fail' is a Big Winner.
0 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
An all right original film of the economic meltdown, and how government bails them out one by one!
blanbrn30 May 2011
This HBO original film "Too Big to Fail" shows one by one how the major financial companies took a dive one by one all by risky investments with lenders money. And the selling of bad mortgage loans and fake stock lead to the downfall of AIG, Bank of America, Merill Lynch, and Leman Brothers. And sadly as we see in this film as many Americans remember the American tax payer had to bail each out with their tax dollars when the federal government in Washington D.C. decided for it.

Director Curtis Hanson is true to form in this film as it was adapted from Andrew Ross Sorkin's book of the same name. The performances in the film are spot on especially that of William Hurt as treasury secretary Henry Paulson and veteran Paul Giamatti as fed chair Ben Bernanke. Also it was nice seeing James Woods and Cynthia Nixon("Sex and the City")in small roles, plus a delight was Ed Asner as Warren Buffet. This film proved what we all know the big financial companies and government people are tied in together and corrupt and the average Joe foots the bill for their escape as they clearly are "To Big To Fail"
19 out of 29 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A movie that did the impossible. Explained the crisis in a way that's understandable & made the gov't the good guy. I say A
cosmo_tiger7 June 2012
"Wall street has a gambling problem and the government keeps covering their losses. They never learn anything." In 2008 the United States economy began to crumble. Bank after bank began to fail and Lehman Brothers (the 4th largest) was on the ropes. Secretary of Treasury Hank Paulson (Hurt), Federal reserve chairman Ben Bernanke (Giamatti) and New York Fed President Tim Geithner (Crudup) all are working to try and save it. They more they find out the worse it gets and they are left with a decision to save the country or the bank. But the answer isn't as easy as it sounds. I know what your thinking. Another movie about this, hasn't there been enough? Normally I would agree but this one had Paul Giamatti so I had to watch it. This one stands far above the other ones made about the crisis and also is pretty impressive in the way it is presented. This movie made the crisis and the reasons for what was done simple enough for me to understand. Unlike the others this one is about how the government handled it and not the Wall Street CEO's which is why I didn't want to throw stuff at the TV as much. This movie was all the more impressive in the way that it really made the government the good guy in this whole mess and made you side with them. Which is almost impossible to do these days. This to me has been the best movie made about the crisis. Overall, if you watch one movie about the meltdown and the economic crisis make it this one. I recommend this. I say A.
4 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
sweettalk
ops-525353 September 2019
To try to mesmerize the world with sweettalk and mrs legrande telling ''unk'' to think trice is the main message of this sweetsmearing presentation of hurricane wobbeling financial crisis management. the way the saintification of hank paulson as the saviour of big money is a crime against humanity and will forever after be remembered for that. and where were the president when all this was going on, and why wasnt he a part of the acting cast in this film....

which is a well made movie by the way, easy for john doe or gud og hvermann to understand, but what the film does not understate is...where did the moey go, who benefitted upon this financial crisis, or was it just a big lie to us all?!

the grumpy old man has always evaded himself from the stockmarket, and i guess half of all thinks im a stupid,stubborn grumpy old man that wont make a nikkel without sweating tenfold the energy spent to make a nickel, when you can make gold out of wall street. but its a recommended film to watch if you can live with the truth of lies, and if you can make your own statements based on many more objective flicks made on the subject, as ''inside job'' etc.
Accurate Portrayal of our Economic Condition
Richie-67-48585229 May 2011
As a Real Estate Broker watching this movie, I felt all my beliefs on the subject matter of our current economic failings confirmed. The movie connects the dots and portrays accurately how big money is managed by big people. The little guy actually has no say at all and is just along for the ride. One also sees how fragile everything is if it doesn't work properly. One has thoughts of returning to farming and hunting and living in a nice cabin as a sure thing in these uncertain economic, misrepresented times. Also, our friends the Saudis are no where to be found in this movie which desperately searches for bail-out money. Trillions sit in the middle east frozen for fear of assinations if help is offered to USA is this commentors opinion...Excellent movie but no closure because we are still living in the problem....
26 out of 50 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The Financial Frankenstein
Screen_O_Genic20 August 2019
A cautionary tale on greed and excess, "Too Big to Fail" tensely and quite grippingly chronicles the 2008 economic crisis. Based on the book of the same title the film depicts the immense burden and tremedous responsibility faced by the big players involved as they tried to salvage the big U.S. banks from collapsing brought on by the ravenousness of the same banks. Although talky the tension escalates as the film progresses highlighting how close the world came close to financial collapse. Well acted with good directing this is compelling realist drama and a peek into the world of big business, politics and global finance.
Once Upon a Time In a Country Very, Very Close
mike33867 January 2016
The kind of movie I want to like, but the facts kept getting in the way.

So, it's fiction? No, not really, every real person is precisely identified, right down to using actual names and screen labels.

So, it's a docudrama? No, not really, otherwise Hank Paulson would not have been the central character, played by the fine actor William Hurt, nor cast in any role even faintly resembling the financial savior of our Country.

Don't believe me? Then watch the real Senate hearings with the real Paulson, and his constantly changing ready-fire-aim approach while still posturing for Wall Street after arriving late for his sworn job of bank regulator.

If the real facts interest you, watch "Inside Job", which tries to shine some light on this massive corruption at the highest levels and the looting of the American Treasury.

But if you want to see good actors re-enact just how close we came to rending forever the financial fabric of this Country, while playing high stakes "Let's Make a Deal", this movie will git er done.

Matter of fact, with real, official Washington openly throwing around terms at the time like "financial meltdown", one can only wonder what kept it from happening. Wait! I know! John Q. Taxpayer stepped up with $700 billion, later reduced to $475 billion, so that the Wall Street Wizards could continue funding golden parachutes and outrageous salaries. -------------------------------------------------------------------- From the movie, and in reality very close to what happened: "Michele Davis: They almost bring down the US economy as we know it but we can't put restrictions on how they spend the $125 billion we're giving them because... they might not take it!"

The Assistant Secretary of the Treasury for Public Affairs upon hearing that the nine bank CEOs may refuse to take free money from the federal government if they had to be held accountable for how they spent it". ------------------------------------------------------------------ BTW, the real Ms. Davis is now Global Head of Corporate Affairs for Morgan Stanley . . . you really can't make up stuff like this.
3 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A somewhat glorified portrayal of a major current event.
tiailds1 March 2016
There were portions of this movie that felt like this was a graphic novel adaptation of real events. The way some of the characters acted seemed far from realistic.

"Was it interesting?" For an explanation of the bailout from the inside out, this did well to explain everything. The few times when characters would summarize what has happened to someone were helpful but really out of place. These uninformed people really didn't understand everything that was going on or just how to explain it to the public? 2 out of 3.

"Was it memorable?" The actors did a great job impersonating their roles. The story seemed a little far fetched though.

1.5 out of 3.

"Was it entertaining?" The movie did build suspense, and I never felt bored. Nothing jumps out either bad or good.

1.5 out of 3.

Starting with 1 (because of regulation), 1 + 2 + 1.5 + 1.5 = 6 A decent sit, but not one I will go out of my way to see again. William Hurt's performance actually had some emotion. Don't see that too often.
0 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Isn't the real story a lawyer from Illinois
catdaddyd26 December 2019
Shouldn't the real story be a lawyer from Illinois who sued to say people are discriminated against and can't buy a house. Everyone is entitled to own a home it's the American dream dream. Then the government and the banks were forced to give loans to people who were not qualified. I remember loans given to people with undocumented income. Who was that lawyer from Illinois? Barack Obama. The film is total propaganda.
1 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Best Disaster Movie In Recent Years
mad_man_moon16 July 2011
And it is a disaster movie, with the unfortunate happenstance of being completely true.

I would say that this is an actors piece, most definitely, with not a poor performance (although some perhaps hackneyed) within.

I would also say that, since it's a disaster movie, we might have been given some more of that disaster at the death ... instead of the horrible thing said twice to make it mean more.

You should watch this, and make everyone else that you know watch it. Let them know how close we came, and how close we are right now, to complete disaster.
1 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I liked it
motorfocus8217 August 2012
This is getting seven out of ten from me because it cut a good line between being informative and entertaining. It tried to be human and occasionally witty, particularly with the whitewashing of Paulson, while blasting through events at rapid speed. It needed to, because a lot was attempted and a lot happened. While the human side wasn't always perfectly effective, the sequence of events and the reasoning behind the actions is fairly clear, enough so to remind me all about what happened and how much worse things could be. Not the greatest entertainment, but effective if you come in with an interest in the material.

I wouldn't have bothered with the review at all were it not for the other reviews on here, which seem to be angry at a straightforward narrative decision to focus on Paulson and make him look like a decent human being, which is evidently unforgivable. This attitude is exactly why I've lost empathy for the average American over the last few years and gained it for people in positions of major responsibility. I'm tired of the wholesale apotheosis of the pathetic. Paulson made some genuinely good moves, and putting more decisions in the hands of the stupid multitude would have made everything worse. Hardly anyone complained about the vivisection of Glass-Steagal when it happened, which makes sense because hardly anyone really understands modern banking anyway. So I made my decision: I dropped the brain-dead populism, I stopped finding any excuse to help abdicate responsibility for the fools who bought too much house they couldn't afford, and I'm not joining any more choruses of those begging for bailouts for millions of ordinary people who couldn't keep their job or find a new one. Living helplessly doesn't garner my attention anymore. Most of the people involved in the story here went along with a broadly shared delusion of value in CDO/MBS's, then tried to pull off some damage control in a hugely complicated situation, meeting with some success while not always being smart about who to trust. The masses go along with delusions constantly, too, and they have no better record on choosing who to trust, Washington. I'm more inspired by power used competently, or even semi-competently, than inspired to throw up a middle finger because I don't feel like being a grown up anymore. Why do so many reviewers find juvenile finger-pointing worthwhile, anyway?
0 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
*** Spoiler Alert **** The Economy Stays In Trouble
mabbott1012 June 2011
Finally watched this and I have to say - not overly impressed. While the actual story of the Crash of 2008 (and when are we going to start calling it that?) is too long for a two hour movie but, this film drops some major turning points that contributed to the meltdown. The writing tries to make the issues understandable, sometimes at the expense of characters (like when the Treasury Secretary's staff explain to their communications director how the mortgage meltdown happened . . . really? An senior employee of the Treasury Department has to have this explained to her after working through the crisis for months?). However, the film does not try to hide some colossal and often tragic mistakes by the main characters. Hurt is good as Paulson but, the best performance has to be Paul Giamatti as Ben Bernanke. I also enjoyed how the film showed the top CEOs for the spoiled divas that they are. This is a good starter if you want to get a grasp on what happened but, there are much better source materials such as "Inside Job" and Matt Taibbi's book - Griftopia.
4 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Where is the real story?
rubbersoul-18 June 2011
I liked this movie when I first saw it. Entertaining, great performances, and what I thought was a great explanation of the 2008 economic crisis. Then I watched the documentary "Inside Job" and learned the truth. Hank Paulson was not a hero. He started the house on fire to collect his money (deregulation) and then had to scramble to put it out when he realized he was going to burn with it. This movie makes him look like a hero for putting it out. By the way he collected a nice chunk of change by selling his stock with Goldman Sachs to become the Treasury Secretary (mandatory)before the crash. And don't get me wrong, he didn't do it all alone and in no way his he solely responsible, and i'm glad him and Geitner succeeded in keeping our world from falling apart, but this movie rings way too false after you watch the real story in "Inside Job". I won't speculate on Mr. Sorkins (writer) motives, but he and his co-writer are way off on telling the true story of what happened. I still appreciate the performances and direction, but it's like watching a lie now. Sorry, please watch Inside Job narrated by Matt Damon by the way, and see what you think!
99 out of 118 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Good to know
cfischer931 January 2021
Good movie. Good actors. Very intricate going ons. I think for a simpler explanation of what this is all about is the movie called The Big Short. Which explains it clearer what's going on. And that it's not going to stop. We're setting ourselves up for another one. I'm talking about a big Market short
0 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Economy the one of the worst subject of mine,and i'll try to wrote about movie
skyway31314 August 2013
I just watched the too big to fail and i log on to IMDb for just vote then when i looking at the comments,there's a lot of criticism about Paulson's way of show.

I didn't know even name of Paulson until the movie but i didn't describe him as a hero.Movie clearly telling the viewers 'What cause of the crisis?' and 'Paulson didn't do anything about that' (for the remind Paulson says:'because we did a lot of money)that's one part -coming crisis- but managing crisis is another part of the story.Movie tells us a very brief time -its starts a few days earlier of Lehman Brother bankruptcy ends with a congress decision about banks- i mean when system in the crisis.

Let's say The movie showed Paulson as a great crisis manager,its very little thing if you can block the crisis before.Also early meeting scene 2 bank of CEO blaming Paulson with not understand the size of problem.

Skip comments and Paulson.

Movie has very smooth,understandable (even for me)language with a great cast and director of course it could be some minuses but in a 100 minutes its really hard to find a story tell better.

Must to watch i think
1 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Good review of the financial mess
bryanmillsfist12 June 2011
This story is subject to partisan prejudices as evidenced by another reviewer's assertion that the highly biased "Inside Job" is the "truth".

To HBO's credit they resisted the temptation to use this sordid affair as a platform for opinion like Charles Ferguson did in "Inside Job". Instead they took a bare bones approach to the story. They give the viewer a summation of the events leading up to the government bailouts.This also hurts the story as character development is fairly shallow and the plot itself requires foreknowledge of the economic environment surrounding these events.

Considering that these events occurred so recently any expectation that you will receive the complete story is unrealistic. Any person who thinks that the truth will be so quickly revealed is kidding themselves. There are facts that are still unknown that in time will be revealed. However, this movie does a good job of presenting the facts we do know in lay terms with resorting to the histrionics of propaganda films like "Inside Job".

The actors do a solid job of portraying the individuals involved. There is no unnecessary depictions of personal foibles that do not in some way relate to the story. The acting is sober and fair,which is appropriate for this film's aim of presenting a factual narrative of the controversial events.

Overall, I believe this movie to be a solid, objective, presentation of the financial mess of 2008. That some ideologues on IMDb object to that should not deter you. This movie is a good intro to what is a complex subject that requires far more then reading articles on the Internet to truly understand.
2 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Solid HBO Original Film
ayochristian2 June 2011
I want to start off with saying I don't really watch these types of movies where it deals with a lot of politics and such because I find them boring, but this is not the case for "Too Big to Fail." I was highly engrossed and very surprised. Quite a few familiar faces who all do an excellent job. Music score was top-notch; just as thrilling as Dark Knight or Inception's musical score. Cinematography on point. Overall great story based on a major crisis we are still recovering from. I tip my hat to the director and writers.

E D I T: Although this is a good film, it is fiction. The film falsely portrays Henry Paulson as some type of hero when in reality he is not. It's very entertaining for a political thriller but do yourself a favor and watch Inside Job.
29 out of 42 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
This movie is a satire
Greek_Lantern22 December 2020
As a fictional movie, this is an excellent acted one with a gripping story. However, this is not a fictional movie. And as a movie supposedly based on real events, it is a satire. None of these politicians and financiers have an empathy bone in their body. It's unfortunate none of those depicted in this movie we're put behind bars. Too big to fail my behind.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.