Snow White and the Huntsman (2012) Poster

Wonderful Dark Adaptation of the Classic Fairytale
claudio_carvalho18 November 2012
Once upon a time, King Magnus (Noah Huntley) and his Queen have a beautiful daughter, Snow White, who is raised with her best friend William. When the Queen passes away, the King grieves her death but has to fight against a dark invader army. He rescues a beautiful prisoner, Ravenna (Charlize Theron), and on the next day he marries her. On the wedding night, Ravenna stabs King Magnus on the chest and brings the enemy army led by her brother Finn (Sam Spruell) that destroys the King's army. Ravenna imprisons Snow White on the Northern Tower of the castle while William, his father The Duke and a few survivors escape from the castle.

Years later, the kingdom is completely depleted and Queen Ravenna, who is an evil witch, keeps her beauty draining the youth of young ladies. When the Magic Mirror tells that Snow White would be the source of her immortality, she asks Finn to bring the princess to her. However, Snow White (Kristen Stewart) escapes and flees to the Dark Forest. Queen Ravenna brings a Huntsman (Chris Hemsworth) that misses his wife and she promises to bring her back to life provided he catches Snow White to her. But when he captures Snow White, he discovers that the evil Queen lied to him and he becomes the protector of the princess. Meanwhile William (Sam Claflin) learns that Snow White is alive and he heads to join Finn's men to meet her. The Huntsman and Snow White meet the eight dwarfs that bring them to the magic Fairytale Land. When they are attacked by Finn and his men, William also finds them and the group heads to the Duke's castle with the intention of beginning an uprising against the Ravenna. But the evil Queen will try to get her aimed immortality.

"Snow White and the Huntsman" is a wonderful dark adaptation of the classic fairytale "Snow White" by the Brothers Grimm and adapted to the cinema and immortalized by Walt Disney. The story is excellent, despite minor flaws like for example Snow White running and swimming after years imprisoned in a dirty tower, and is supported by a great screenplay, magnificent cinematography and CGI and good acting. There are unbelievable negative reviews in IMDb and my only remark is that the talented Kristen Stewart has never been more beautiful (actually, he uses the word The Fairest) than the gorgeous Charlize Theron, despite their difference of ages: the Magic Mirror is wrong. My vote is eight.

Title (Brazil): "Branca de Neve e o Caçador" ("Snow White and the Huntsman")
94 out of 140 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Who told Kristen Stewart she could be an actress?
marcia-varaschin5 June 2012
The movie is good (not great, though), specially because of the visual effects and Charlize Theron acting. She is great, beautiful, impressive, plays her role full of passion, as usual. Also I think there was no need for a 127 minutes picture. It could last less time, because in some moments I felt like they were just dragging it for no reason. I expected more, but all the problem is with Snow White choice. Kristen Stewart is like my refrigerator, no matter what I put in it (milk, soda, eggs, vegetables, meat), it is and it will always be a refrigerator. And so is she. She is always the same, no matter what role she is playing. If she can be an actress, so can my refrigerator. They are both cold and have no expression.
603 out of 754 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Now This Queen is The Ultimate Villain
aharmas27 May 2012
When I saw the previews for both of the upcoming "Snow White" adaptations, I was excited. The take with Julia felt wrong, though it looked pretty good. When I saw Charlize fulminating eyes in "The Huntsman" I knew it would hard to miss the target. This film delivers because it goes back what inspired the original source: haunted forests, dirty, hopeless villages, dark, imposing castles, and an electrifying and literally heart-stopping villain. This one got as far away from Disney as it is possible and works as a perfect bookend to 75 years of attempts to capture the spirit of the original tale.

There are changes, and it is a very radical spin by making the heroine a stronger match to the diabolical queen, a bruised and bitter, yet majestic portrayal by the magical Theron, an actress who speaks volumes with a look, a quick glance, or a murderous stare. She is as impressive here as she was in "Monster". She wears the fabulous costumes by Atwood by an almost supernatural grace. She is worthy of every crown, every jewel, every outrageous outfit. She is great because her fantastical character feels almost real and is so powerful, that she is missed while she is not on the screen.

In this picture, Snow White is not a meek and scared child. She must confront unexpected dangers and her evil stepmother, and she finds courage pretty much where her enemy does, deep inside her soul or heart. Both understand why each's demise is crucial and vital to the other. For most of the film, Theron is in a crusade to kill White by taking a hold of her heart. Theron also knows this young princess is the only who can destroy her, and that is enough motivation for some amazing trickery.

There are plenty of breathtaking moments, from the powerful introduction of the duplicitous queen to the most fantastic display of magic on the screen involving fairies. This would inspire even Shakespeare to write a sequel to a couple of his comedies.It is gorgeous and wonderful scene that will have people talking for a while, and Spielberg must have inspired others to use a beautiful white stallion for maximum effect in a terrifying scene.

Be prepared to be surprised and entertained by many actors doing top work, and this is very hard considering how Theron owns the screen. Stewart does very good work as Snow White, but the movie belongs to Theron. She is the dark force that lives in the heart of many classics, and it is hard to picture anyone else doing anything remotely close.

A very good fairy tale, with plenty of heart.
90 out of 143 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A Visual Masterstroke!
namashi_113 June 2013
Based on the German fairy tale Snow White, 'Snow White and the Huntsman' is A Visual Masterstroke, that comes across a delight to the eyes. And even in terms of story-telling, this dark adaptation gets it right.

'Snow White and the Huntsman' Synopsis: In a twist to the fairy tale, the Huntsman ordered to take Snow White into the woods to be killed winds up becoming her protector and mentor in a quest to vanquish the Evil Queen.

'Snow White and the Huntsman' is gorgeous to look at. Each Frame looks magical thanks to the magnificent Cinematography by Greig Fraser & The Fantastic Graphics, that compliment the film.

Evan Daugherty, John Lee Hancock & Hossein Amini's Screenplay gives a twist in the tale of Snow White, making it dark & violent, but that works on its advantage, as its refreshing. Rupert Sanders Directs this fantasy-adventure superbly. His execution, in terms of visuals, is ovation worthy. Costume & Art Design are flawless.

Performance-Wise: Kristen Stewart as Snow White, delivers a sincere performance. Charlize Theron as Queen Ravenna, is purely evil. Chris Hemsworth as Eric the Huntsman, is fantastic. Ian McShane as Beith, Bob Hoskins as Muir, Johnny Harris as Quert, Toby Jones as Coll, Eddie Marsan as Duir, Ray Winstone as Gort & Brian Gleeson as Gus, are lovable as The Dwarfs.

On the whole, 'Snow White and the Huntsman' is a certainly a story worth watching.
21 out of 30 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Nicely done!
vincentlynch-moonoi13 July 2013
Well, the first thing I have to get off my mind is to say, "Mirror, Mirror, on the wall, you need glasses." Kristen Stewart is not close to being as beautiful as Charlize Theron. I'm not saying Stewart is some kind of ugly vampire or wolf creature, but geez...she's relatively average.

Having said that, this film is pretty entertaining. And, in some places, rather foreboding (for example, some of the scenes in the dark forest!). And in other places very lovely. The CGI contributes to the story, rather than overshadowing the story, as is so often the case now-a-days (although I wasn't too keen on the "black-shard-men" toward the climax.

The story doesn't quite follow the story-line we were all familiar with as kids. It's actually much better, although it is still the good against evil saga.

The key here is the acting. The let-down here for me was Kristen Stewart as Snow White. I'm sorry, but I am no more impressed with her here than I was in the Twilight films. I'm just not buying into her as a leading actress. And it's not because I don't like the Twilight films...although I don't. But I am finding Robert Pattinson to be a relatively promising young actor, and even Taylor Lautner has some charisma.

On the other hand, Charlize Theron seems to be the actress who pretty much do no wrong now. I've yet to see a bad performance by her, and here she is so good...though so evil. She's a stunning beauty, as well.

Chris Hemsworth as the Huntsman was okay here. I need to see him in something else before I can make any overall judgment of his acting ability. But, for the most part, he doesn't appear in my kind of films.

On the dwarf side, rather interesting caricatures. Of course, Ian McShane is very good, as is Bob Hoskins. But I think the standout here is Toby Jones.

I give this film a very solid "7", and recommend it.
12 out of 16 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Kristen Stewart in another cringe worthy performance.
kookybooboo13 May 2019
Everyone knows that Snow White is the fairest of all, that's why the Queen hates her so. In what alternate reality is Kristen Stewart prettier than Charlize Theron? That fact alone should have kept me from watching, not to mention that Kristen is one of the worst actresses ever. Chris and Charlize are the reason I decided to watch, even they couldn't save it. It is painful to watch her try to act.
69 out of 95 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Snow White: Good but not great
malaysian178930 May 2012
Based on the popular fairytale ''Snow White'' comes the originally titled ''Snow White....and The Huntsman'' ,an epic fantasy film starring teen favourites Kristen Stewart (of Twilight fame) and Chris Hemsworth (of Thor/Avengers fame). Now, detailing the plot shouldn't be too hard, as we all know the story from childhood- Evil Queen (Charlize Theron) with talking mirror is hell-bent on killing her 'pure' step-daughter (Stewart) and hires a Huntsman (Hemsworth) to do the job for her. The Huntsman takes pity on the girl when he finds her, and together they become fugitives, going on a journey that involves meeting Dwarfs. Seven of them to be precise. What follows is a major battle between good and evil to determine who will reign over the Kingdom, the evil Queen or our heroine Snow White?

Now, I enjoyed this film a lot more than I thought I would, it reminded me a lot of Lord of The Rings, from the grand music to the mountain scenery, and it does feature a few spectacular fight scenes. Visually, this is an impressive film, however, the film focuses too much on visuals and not enough on characters, the Dwarfs are glossed over and never really given any time to engage with the audience, which is a shame, as the group contains excellent actors (Ray Winstone and Bob Hoskins, amongst others ). Kristen Stewart as Snow White seems to think she's still playing Bella from Twilight, (i.e no range of emotions, just a blank stare for the whole film), especially when opposite to her is Charlize Theron giving an amazingly dramatic performance as the Queen. To sum up, a good re-telling of a classic, but by no means as good as the Disney Classic which most of us remember.

205 out of 329 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Don't believe the hype - This ones a snoozefest. Stiff acting, very bad pacing.
Theedg34 June 2012
The trailers were great, they got me interested, had me excited to finally see Snow White And The Huntsman but my excitement quickly turned to disappointment. The movie starts off well showing you how the Queen came to power and did a good job of introducing her to the audience but it fell apart soon after that.

The acting was very stiff throughout the film, I believe Kristen Stewart was miscast for the part of Snow White, she doesn't have the acting chops to play even a semi serious role like this one. She should stick to the Twilight series.

The pacing of the film also just felt off. Their are a lot of anti climatic scenes such as the ending, it just leaves you wanting more or wondering what they could of done to make this a better movie.

Dialogue throughout the movie was pretty bad as well, people in my theater only laughed once or twice and that was during a scene that wasn't even intended to be funny.

Most critics praised Therons performance, but she really just whined the entire time and was over the top, she didn't really deliver, but she was the best part of the film.

209 out of 343 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Visually Generic
billygoat10712 June 2012
This is the second Snow White adaptation released this year except this one is designed as an action, adventure. Both are not quite outstanding but they gave some interesting twists to the story. Unfortunately, there is something gold about this but it cares too much to the visuals than anything else. There are also scenes that are taken from other fantasy, epic movies. It's good looking, but good looking is not always enough.

The twist is pretty interesting. The Evil Queen's tragic past, more significance to The Huntsman, turning Snow White into a gritty protagonist. Though the dwarfs are the same in Tarsem Singh's version. These elements could have made this a memorable and fresh adaptation, but they just threw these things to the film lazily. The plotting is mediocre which made the second act a bit boring. The action is nothing but looking good. It looks fascinating but you'll rarely see a real fight.

You already know what Kristen Stewart and Chris Hemsworth will do but the audiences are more interested to Charlize Theron's performance. She sort of hammed it up when in rage but she does it pretty well in the rest. Another attraction to this is the visuals. Like I said, it's too pretty. It's never wrong for the visuals to be pretty especially to a film called Snow White. It's too pretty, they already careless about the plot. Decided to choose the generic way. Heroes meeting new friends, settle down, fight, settle down. Just waiting for the climax to come without any much development.

I'm starting to think when I first saw it, it's like Ridley Scott's Robin Hood. It's an old tale with a charismatic protagonist turned into a gritty one, but this one is a bit different. It refuses to be gritty and wants to be pretty and generic. The real action is few, the effect of drama is limited. The visuals can be spellbinding but anything else is just empty. There is a good story in the film but it's told in a generic way with a generic plot and filled with stuff that is borrowed from other films. One might enjoy it by its looks but if you care for more than that then it will be unsatisfying. Snow White and the Huntsman can be part of those clichéd modern fantasy movies like Clash of the Titans, Conan The Barbarian, and Immortals. But at least this film is the best of its kind. It's not bad nor good. It's just a waste of potential of a new good film.
88 out of 152 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Wildly uneven- looks great but fails to engage narratively
TheLittleSongbird11 June 2016
'Snow White and the Huntsman' did have potential. The trailers looked decent, and Charlize Theron, Chris Hemsworth and all the actors playing the dwarfs have been responsible for great work in their careers.

However, although she has given good performances outside of 'Twilight', this reviewer doesn't care hugely for Kristen Stewart (though she is not a detractor either) and cares even less for the 'Twilight Saga'. So expectations prior to seeing the film, a live-action re-imagining of the classic fairy tale, were mixed.

Watching it finally at a film night with friends, 'Snow White and the Huntsman' wasn't as bad as feared and does have a good amount going for it, but it should have been much better than it was.

First and foremost, starting with the good assets, the best things about 'Snow White and the Huntsman' are the production values and Charlize Theron. The film is very beautiful to look at, with luscious but also atmospheric photography, Gothic but also elegant and rustic set and scenery design and lavish costumes (Ravenna's are a knockout). The special effects are mostly fine too. Ravenna is the one character that 'Snow White and the Huntsman' properly tries to develop (and it does so reasonably, but there are parts that could have been elaborated upon more), and Theron positively sinks her teeth into the character, giving a very enjoyably hammy (sometimes), sinister and also tragic interpretation.

James Newton Howard's score complements very well, it's beautifully orchestrated, rousing, elegiac, atmosphere-enhancing and very involving. Hemsworth is appropriately stone-faced and brooding as the Huntsman, displaying charisma and emotion. Sam Claflin does well too, though with an underwritten character.

Was mixed however on the dwarfs and Rupert Sanders' direction. The dwarfs are very enjoyably characterised, with all of them displaying much needed character, humour and charm, more so than their material deserved. Ian McShane is particularly noteworthy. However, they are written in a very glossed over and bland fashion, almost like they were written as an afterthought. The decision to scale down the actors may not work for some people, those who feel that casting real-life dwarfs would have fared better, personally enjoyed the performances but felt it would have been better if Warwick Davis played all of them. Sanders' direction exudes confidence visually, but in the chemistry between actors, direction of some of the actors and direction of the drama he seemed ill at ease.

The biggest problem with 'Snow White and the Huntsman' is Stewart (an opinion this reviewer well before reading the reviews for the film, so this is own opinion talking), she gives a very wooden, expressionless and one-note (constant surprise and "sucking on lemon"-like) performance that makes identifying and sympathising with Snow White incredibly difficult. A shame because her younger child counterpart was very believable. The story has moments (mainly with Theron), but flounders from a lack of chemistry in the pivotal relationship between Stewart and Hemsworth, a particularly dull middle act and stuff brought up but barely explored giving an incomplete and jumpy feel to the storytelling.

Action is episodic and lacking in tension and excitement generally, while the script clunks badly and the characters are bland with the exception of Ravenna. They do start trying to develop the Huntsman but the development is forgotten about once he becomes protector and lover.

Overall, looks great but fails to engage narratively. Not awful, not great, wildly uneven more like. 5/10 Bethany Cox
11 out of 16 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A Dreadful Performance by Kristen Stewart
madbeast9 June 2012
Spectacular special effects don't overcome an underwritten relationship between the title characters and a hopelessly miscast Kristen Stewart as Snow White. A scenery-chewing Charlize Theron and a late-in-the-game appearance by the seven dwarfs add some life to the tedium until Stewart - lacking the charm, innocence, and spirituality that the part cries out for - sucks it out again.

The film recalls "The Matrix" in which an interesting premise is dealt a severe blow by a woefully uncharismatic actor portraying a character who the universe of the film needs to rally around in order to survive. But whereas "The Matrix" had enough going for it to overcome the vacuum that is Keanu Reeves, "Snow White and the Huntsman" grinds to a plodding halt when Stewart weakly attempts a "Henry V"-like oration to stir up the troops. And when the seven dwarfs (which offer some delightful cameos by actors like Bob Hoskins and Ian McShane) sagely proclaim that Snow White is The One who can save the kingdom, one looks at Stewart's blank gaze and wonders how they reached that conclusion.

Chris Hemsworth provides a perfectly unobjectionable generic beefcake presence as the huntsman of the title, but the script fails to evolve the relationship between the two in any way and the end of the film depicts Hemsworth standing anonymously in the crowd as the crown is inevitably placed on Snow White's head. Then, we are treated to the sight of the new queen standing uncomfortably in front of her subjects in awkward silence, as though no one gave any thought to what might happen next. But the same thing could be said of the screenwriters after typing the words "Act One, Scene One."
54 out of 83 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Bad casting killed this one for me...
xalterax-mc1 June 2012
Well I saw huntsman the opening night, midnight showing. I went into it expecting something amazing. It was...alright. Honestly the visuals were really good. I enjoyed the how well Chris Hemsworth and Charlize Theron portrayed their roles and drew me into the story. The little girl that played Snow White at the beginning had me entranced, and everything was going great - then she grew up.

Kristen Stewart as the female lead really ruined the whole film for me. She was depressingly emotionless and despite everyone in the film's world wanting to save and protect a otherwise unlikable character due to the character's performance, left me neither identifying with nor liking the character. I felt for the little girl at the beginning, who was easily 5 times the actor Kristen Stewart was in this film.

Everyone I went with felt the same.

Throughout the film she is very quiet, and what lines she has aren't memorable at all (again, no emotion). Chris Hemsworth pours his heart out to her in one scene, and while she was asleep and ultimately it was his kiss that woke her...she goes on, cold and emotionless - feeling nothing for him. Very sad, as the first 10 minutes had me very excited for the rest of the film - but then it just fell apart when she failed time and time again to react or become a likable character.

She acts the same in the Twilight movies, as far as I understand - so I'll continue to stay away from those as well. The rest of the movie was a good production, though it dragged a little at parts. To avoid the same problem in the future, I will simply abstain from anything Kristen Stewart is in. If you want to see this, but haven't seen say - Avengers, see that instead.

I'd wait for Redbox on this one.
550 out of 746 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
So much potential ... down the tubes
darth-tobe6 June 2012
What a load of nonsense. Those were 127 almost completely redundant minutes. It doesn't happen often but after about the first third I was considering leaving the cinema and only the ticket price kept me in my seat and the vague hope that something might change. It didn't.

Where to start? There was no build-up, no climax (more of an anti-climax actually) and no development of any sort. There was a bunch of characters that fit together awkwardly at best: imagine Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Aragorn, Luke Skywalker and the guys from Hot Fuzz against the Wicked Witch and the Terminator - that about covers it. There was nothing that made you feel one way or the other about the characters since they all had their reasons for doing what they did and ... since it fit the plot it was fine anyway and they didn't need to change. The whole piece had a plot and general look and feel that couldn't make up its mind if it was going to be Chronicles of Narnia, Joan of Arc or ... Pan's Labyrinth? There were, however, a lot of pointless details that didn't matter to the plot but they were just there - take the queen's background, take the troll bridge, I could go on. There were a lot of over-acted emotions, like the queen screaming at people in slow motion for no apparent reason (both the screaming and the slow motion); and I cannot remember seeing Snow White in any shot in which she did not have tears in her eyes.

I still wonder where they wanted to take this picture. Dark fantasy with sex-appeal and gritty violence might have been a good idea but it seems the writer and production designers were too busy being politically correct to go all the way. There are a few things that I liked, which is why I give the film a 3 but those are just details and would contain spoilers. Like this the film just seems to try and capture as many tastes as possible but delivers nothing really. And then suddenly it's over as if the producer had said: "that's enough now." Maybe that was actually a blessing in disguise. Reading the original fairytale is still more exciting.
238 out of 406 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs (yes count them) reboot
HelenMary20 July 2013
I had no desire to see this film, but when I saw it on DVD I was pleasantly surprised. I enjoyed it, and was engrossed. Whilst a good film, it was far from original (and I'm not talking about it being an adaptation of the Grimm Fairy Tale), in that it was reminiscent of so many other films; swashbucklers like Robin Hood (especially the old Errol Flynn type versions), The Court Jester, Lord of the Rings, The Princess Bride and anything set in Narnia to name but a few. Whilst the comparison made for unoriginal watching and a feeling that I'd seen it all before, it didn't detract from the cinematographic event and time passing pleasantly in watching the film. The SFX were very good though nothing original (very LOTR), the acting was good and I disagree with other reviewers that say that Kristen Stewart was no good... I liked her performance, certainly better than Twilight, so she's not gregarious but I think she pitched the character well and she didn't write it! Chris Hemsworth was Thor-tastic, he's an incredible physical presence and I really liked his character and he was central to the modern take on the story. Of course Charlize Theron stole the show - she was sublime; beautiful, devious, broken, cunning, cruel, magnificently evil and absolutely barking mad, and the CGI surrounding her person and character were brilliant. The Dwarfs were played hobbit-style by various actors including the wonderful Nick Frost who had some good one-liners. The Dwarfs were a lot of the comedy of the story.

There were gripping moments throughout the film, lots of humour and fantasy and a great deal of daring-do-type action and overall It was very watchable. Snow White (the Disney version) was the first film I ever saw at the cinema, and I apparently was very frightened by some of the more psychologically disturbing imagery, which I question for children even now. Whilst I wouldn't recommend this for children, especially as it's live action rather than animation, the mental images - the psychological impact - aren't that different. A good family film if the children are a little older and there's certainly something in it for everyone.
15 out of 22 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
8 years between viewings...
mdjr111126 July 2020
I saw this movie in 2012 when it came out. The concept is great. The visuals are appealing. Charlize Theron is excellent. Chris Hemsworth and Sam Clafin did fine jobs. Although the people portraying the dwarves gave convincing performances, it bothered me that production didn't use actors who are actually dwarves. And now the elephant in the story. Kristin Stewart. She has the emotional range and facial expressions of a person both heavily medicated and seriously botoxed. The only time her performance was convincing was when she lay 'dead' at the Duke's castle. She has nothing going for her that would possibly explain the adoration of anyone or anything. I know the character of Snow White is the fairest of the fair. Kristin Stewart is not ugly. But is in no way the most beautiful person of any scene in this movie, and will never match Charlize Theron. She was woefully miscast. Honestly even after her resurrection and her inspiring speech, I wonder why anyone would follow such an insipid person.

8 years between viewings, and still the same opinion. This movie would have been 1000% with a beautiful, charismatic actress whose face actually shows emotion in the title role. Still disappointed in that.
8 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Worth it
zack_wall1 June 2012
I must say, when I first heard the news that there was going to be a Snow White live-action film, I had a good laugh. When I heard that Kristen Stewart was going to play Snow White, I had an even bigger laugh. But when I saw the trailer, I stopped laughing. And then I watched the movie, and knew I had to write a review. This film is not going to win many(if any) awards, nor will it be a favorite this year, but it is entirely a good movie. Stunning visual effects, many great landscape shots, good acting, great action, and a believable storyline. This is not the Disney film you are used to, but a much grittier and more mature take on the original tale. You should not take your children to this film, nor should the intense nature of the film scare you off. I enjoyed it from start to finish, and I think many people will too.
258 out of 455 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
See it for the visuals, not for the story
enddetour7 June 2012
Plot: Warrior princess Snow White takes on the wicked queen with a little help from people she barely knows. Drive-in Rating: Yield right of way.

Just to get it out of the way, I don't understand the appeal of Kristen Stewart as an actress. She always has the look of a stuck up brat to me. There, done with the casting critique.

The movie was visually stunning and Charlize Theron made for a truly wicked-good Queen. Chris Hemsworth was compelling (in a vacuum) and the dwarfs (casting controversy aside) were engaging. I love that the writers know their fairy tales enough to remember what properly lives under a bridge!

...but I didn't find myself rooting for the entitled heroine or her comrades. The story idea was good enough but the writers tried to pack so many concepts into 127 minutes that they forgot a little character and conflict development. Even the most compelling scenes, the final kiss for example, left much to be desired (I'm not spoiling anything by telling you there's a kiss, it's a well-known plot point in the fairy tale). In addition, there were some unacceptable leaps in logic (for example, what compelled the Queen's brother to tell the Huntsman the truth about his wife?).

And finally, is there an award for the least compelling title of the year? "Fairest Blood" immediately comes to mind as a reasonable alternative.

If you pay to see this in the theater, make sure it's because you want to see the visuals on the big screen.
58 out of 86 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Snow White 2.0
Dory_Darko26 June 2012
Ever since I saw the first photographs of Snow White and the Huntsman surface on IMDb about a year ago, I've been extremely excited to see this film. And over the past few weeks, that excitement only built up more and more to the point where almost no film can meet such high expectations. See, I have always loved the fairy tale of Snow White and the evil queen, but never before had anyone attempted to make it into what I believe it was always meant to be: a Gothic tale of fantasy and horror, rather than a sweet night time story. And now, with a much promising trailer, it appeared that Rupert Sanders had fulfilled my wish. And even though he has claimed quite some artistic license story wise, the end very much justifies the means. Snow White and the Huntsman is a film worth watching.

Literally everything I ever imagined about this classic story is there. The Dark Forest is actually Dark. It's creepy and spooky in the best kind of nightmarish way. Funnily enough, throughout the film there were some analogies with the classic Disney film. For instance, in the Dark Forest, the tree branches move autonomously towards whoever dare enter their territory, grasping around like freakish clawing fingers. The mushrooms spew poisonous fumes when you touch them. And the hills literally have eyes... The Evil Queen's castle is every goth kids' dream house. And the dwarfs are rugged, mean little men. Graphically, there's simply nothing not to love.

However, without the key elements perfectly worked out, the pretty pictures alone wouldn't have made this film work. Let me start with the leading lady. I don't know why Kristen Stewart is getting so much hate, honestly. Not only is she a very talented young actress, she is the perfect Snow White. I can't imagine anyone doing a better job with this than her. She doesn't just have the right look (pretty face, pale skin and raven dark hair), she also has the right attitude to play Snow White the way her character was written: smart, daring and independent. This is no damsel in distress, this is a girl ready to kick some ass and get revenge. She just needs a little help from her friends. First and foremost friend on the list is Eric, the Huntsman. He is initially hired (or rather, commanded) by the Evil Queen, to hunt down Snow White. However, when he finds out that he has been deceived, he turns on the Queen and decides to help her instead. This character is played by Chris Hemsworth, and he is perfectly cast. He is all the Huntsman needs to be; rugged but charming, complete with a husky Scottish twang. Lastly, there is Snow White's childhood friend William, played by Sam Claflin, who sets out on his own personal mission to help her.

Of course, the tale of Snow White would not have been complete without the notorious 7 (or 8, in this case) dwarfs. It seems the casting director pulled open a can of Britain's finest for this occasion. Bob Hoskins, Ian McShane, Eddie Marsan, Ray Winstone, just to name a few. These characters are a delight to watch and also bring some much needed comic relief to the story, without actually turning it into a comedy (which is a good thing).

And then there's the Evil Queen, Ravenna, played by Charlize Theron. Ms Theron is a great actress, and I was really looking forward to her playing this purely evil character. And as such, the Queen was everything I had hoped for; a heartless, sadistic beauty who relies on dark magic to remain forever young and beautiful, sacrificing whosoever crosses her path for this purpose. Though strangely, viewed solely as a performance, I caught Charlize doing something I had never expected from her: she overacted. Personally I feel that her performance would have actually been much more intense had she decided not to spend half her screen time screaming at the top of her lungs, but rather just some of it, carefully dosed. However, Ms Theron has garnered a more than sufficient amount of brownie points in my book, so I'll just chalk it up to excitement. It's obvious she had a lot of fun playing this character, so she's easily forgiven. Besides, physically she fit the role perfectly and I still really enjoyed watching her.

Visually, Snow White and the Huntsman is truly stunning. The CGI is top-notch, especially the Mirror is quite awesome. It transforms into a human-shaped mass of liquid gold in order to speak, and it's one of the best visual surprises in the film. The Dark Forest is the closest thing I've ever experienced to an acid trip, and all the fantasy creatures are really cool (my favourite was the angry forest troll!).

I don't need to tell you about the story, we all know how it goes (although I've never seen Snow White in a harness before...), so there's no really big surprise anywhere, and of course you get the happy ending (trust me, that's not a spoiler). Still, it's the way this story is told here, that makes it a very exciting ride. There's only one point of critique I have, and that's the pacing. They really could have kicked it up a notch here and there.

I think, in the end, Snow White and the Huntsman actually did live up to my expectations, and that's quite an accomplishment, considering how high they were. Anyway, I thoroughly enjoyed this film and I highly recommend it if you're in the mood for Snow White: The Gothic Version. Beautiful, awesome, cool!
24 out of 36 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Dark and unrelentingly Grimm take on the beloved fairy tale, but one that is visually astounding and grippingly paced
moviexclusive30 May 2012
Never in our farthest imaginings did we envision Snow White to be an ass-kicking warrior princess who would lead an entire army into battle, but that's the reason why first-time feature film director Rupert Sanders' interpretation of one of the Brothers Grimm's most beloved fairy tales has been labelled revisionist.

Inspired no doubt by the contemporary age of feminism, first-time writer Evan Daugherty has taken interesting liberties with both the titular character as well as the villainous Queen. The latter in particular is given an intriguing twist as a woman both liberated and trapped by her beauty, for it was her ravishing looks that first won her the attention of a king but which diminishing by age had left her heartbroken. Fuelled by contempt, Ravenna has over decades gone from kingdom to kingdom winning the hearts of kings and then taking their lives.

Her latest conquest is that of a kind-hearted widowed King Magnus (Noah Huntley) and father of Snow White, whom she poisons then slaughters with a dagger on their wedding night. Of his young daughter Snow White she keeps imprisoned in a high tower, until a premonition by her golden mirror on the wall years later leaves her yearning for the come-of-age Snow White's heart to achieve true immortality. Alas Snow White seizes the opportunity to escape when Queen Ravenna's brother Finn (Sam Spruell) enters her cell to retrieve her for the Queen, fleeing the confines of her father's former castle for the enchanted Dark Forest.

In turn, the Queen sends a grief-stricken drunk known only as the Huntsman (Chris Hemsworth) with knowledge of the woods in pursuit- though it doesn't take long before he switches sides and ends up protecting her against Finn and the rest of his army. As Snow White endeavours to get to the grounds of Duke Hammond, an ally of her father's, the Huntsman becomes as much her protector as well as her romantic interest. But as formula would dictate, there should be another corner to complete the love triangle- hence the obligatory presence of the Duke's son William (Sam Claflin), who has apparently had a soft spot for Snow White since he was young.

What happened to the dwarfs you might be ask? Well, rest easy if you're a fan of the tale- the seven dwarfs are still around, though they only appear in the second half of the movie. And just to reassure you that they have not been sidelined, they do play a pivotal role in Snow White's mission to depose the Queen. As portrayed by a whole bevy of distinguished British character actors the likes of Ian McShane, Bob Hoskins, Ray Winstone, Nick Frost, Toby Jones and Brian Gleeson, their rowdy presence is also a much welcomed one, bringing some sorely missing levity into the otherwise sombre proceedings.

While the signature elements- poisoned apple, wall-hanging mirror, dwarfs and evil Queen- are no doubt drawn from the classic fairy tale, Daugherty and his co-screenwriters John Lee Hancock and Hossein Amini adopt a cinematic tone and style taken from more contemporary fantasy adventures. In fact, the trio together with Sanders could be accused of leaning too heavily on some of these- Sanders' framing of Snow White's quest using sweeping shots against mountainous backdrops set to Celtic music is all too reminiscent of 'Lord of the Rings'; while a late plot twist that gives new meaning to Snow White's symbol as saviour to the people immediately invites comparisons with 'Narnia'.

Chiefly, their version of Snow White isn't so much Snow White as we know of it, but a feminist version of Robin Hood, who not only stands up for the injustices of those around her but leads them to battle against the forces that prevail. In that regard, this Snow White isn't all that different from Tarsem's earlier 'Mirror, Mirror', whose protagonist was similarly independent-minded if less swash-buckling. The new-age notion of Snow White as war heroine is interesting, but one that is ultimately let down by Kristen Stewart's bland portrayal.

Consequently, this Snow White functions less as a character in itself, than as an obligatory complement to the malevolent Evil Queen, played with icy menace by Charlize Theron. The Oscar winner steals every minute of the show she is in- hers a coolly calculated performance of pent-up fury waiting to unleash itself. Theron is also aided by some nifty CGI and designer Colleen Atwood's ravishing costumes, and we watch transfixed as she steps into a creamy milk bath or transforms back into human form from a flock of crows with her mantle and cloak a glistening black oil slick.

Yes, Sanders, who hails from the world of commercials and Xbox games, has a keen eye for visuals, and it shows amply in the gorgeously crafted shots- especially the contrast between light and dark to represent scenes of hope and despair respectively. And despite borrowing slightly too heavily from genre material, Sanders' maiden attempt at a big-budget summer tentpole is as assured a debut as any- it is also to his credit that though the story does unfold at a very deliberate pace in the middle, it never turns out boring.

With this version of Snow White, Hollywood continues its recent trend of revisiting classic fairy tales for a modern-day twist, a formula that proved successful for 'Alice in Wonderland' but less so for 'Red Riding Hood'. On account of its distinctive take on the evil Queen as well as its nightmarishly brutal tone, it belongs in the league of the former than the latter. And indeed, having seen both 'Snow White' films this year, we can firmly say that this is the one you should see.

• www.moviexclusive.com
55 out of 104 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Pretty To Look At But Very Shallow and Boring
Michael_Elliott19 June 2012
Snow White and the Huntsman (2012)

** (out of 4)

2012 will be the year of Snow White as here comes the fourth version of the classic tale behind MIRROR MIRROR as well as two direct-to-DVD releases. This one here features Kristen Stewart playing Snow White who gets thrown from her kingdom by the wicked Queen (Charlize Theron) who is in need of her youth. Soon a Huntsman (Chris Hemsworth) is called upon to capture Snow White but when he understands what is going on he decides to join forces with her. SNOW WHITE AND THE HUNTSMAN is a pretty looking film but there's really no meat on its bones and in the end we're left with a rather lifeless production that has some good stuff but in the end the film is just downright dull. There are quite a few problems with the picture but we can start with the casting. Stewart has proved herself to be a good actress and her work in stuff like THE RUNAWAYS have proved this but sadly she's miscast here. That dark, laid back approach works perfectly in TWILIGHT but here is just boring and it's quite obvious that this Snow White couldn't lead an ant colony let alone a kingdom. Not for a second did I believe Stewart in the role and the lack of a personality here really went against everything the character was. Theron isn't much better as the Queen. It's really hard to believe the type of performance she gives here because she goes so over-the-top that it reaches a level of where you just want to scream with how annoying the performance is. I'm not sure why Theron decided to scream so much but it really didn't do anything. Hemsworth is the one saving grace here and he actually delivers a good performance and makes much more of his role than what was on the pages. Sam Claflin isn't too bad as William but he shares no chemistry with Stewart. The CGI effects are actually pretty good here and especially the stuff dealing with the mirror as well as another scene where we see the Queen crawl out of some black tar. I also thought the scenery was quite great including the black forest and the beautiful green lands. The images here are much better than any bit of the story and that's a real shame. SNOW WHITE AND THE HUNTSMAN is pretty to look at but sadly there's just no emotional connection to any of the characters. Worse of all is the fact that the film really drags in spots and for an action movie it's one of the most boring I've seen in a while.
10 out of 16 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Kristen Stewart ruined it
kittymallari2 August 2020
Out of all the actors in the world, why did they choose Kristen Stewart to play the main role? Just why?
50 out of 63 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Slightly better than Mirror Mirror,but not the best
AngelofMusic199826 October 2019
This movie is also based on Snow White(like Mirror Mirror).Sets and costumes look nice.I do not like Kristen Stewart as Snow White.She is too cold,unemotional and boring.The evil queen was amazingly scary-unlike the one in Mirror Mirror.The performance of Charlize Theron as the queen was the best in the movie.Slightly better than Mirror Mirror(mostly because of the evil queen),but not the best.5/10
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Perhaps too 'Grimm'...some startling visuals but poorly-directed and edited
moonspinner5516 September 2012
Widower king in medieval times is instantly smitten by a blonde temptress (named Ravenna!) who quickly takes over his throne; she imprisons his daughter and sucks the youth out of small girls in her quest to be the most beautiful and powerful in the land...though, considering that the land is populated mostly by dead trees and dirty, downtrodden townspeople, it doesn't seem like much to ask. Charlize Theron does some very good work as the wicked queen, but this updating of the Snow White tale is confusing, confounding, bungled, and occasionally laughable. Kristen Stewart is well-cast as the king's daughter, but director Rupert Sanders lets his camera sit on Stewart's tight little face far too long, robbing the actress of mystery (he even slows down the footage of her running or horseback riding for no other purpose other than to have us admire her 'courage', which could have been covered by a few choice lines of dialogue). The production is top-heavy with ghoulish design, some of which is worth seeing; however, the thin script is not helped by the director's lack of timing, nor by the editor's sloppy continuity. ** from ****
6 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Disappointing in casting
glynner1717 November 2018
Still amazed that out of all the actors in the world, they couldn't cast dwarves as dwarves. Disappoints my son every time he sees the movie (he has dwarfism).
25 out of 35 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Entertaining but weak plot
labecker-388-1901574 June 2012
As a huge fan of fantasy books and films, I had very high hopes for this one... Especially when people said "oh, you liked Lord of the Rings? You'll love this!" The verdict? I now know who *not* to listen to next time. If your tastes are similar to mine, you tend to read the books before watching the movies and you don't really follow particular actors. So, really, I had high expectations for this film - and that might've been the problem... Charlize Theron played the evil queen well but I would've loved it if the film had delved further into the queen's history as several ideas were started but never really explained (I have a decent imagination but I don't really think, as a viewer, I should be entirely responsible for thinking up ways to connect the dots). For instance, why is the Queen able to feel everything her brother feels? Why did her mother decide to give her the spell rather than both her and her brother or just her brother? And why, once we get into the meat (or the attempt at the meat) of the story, did the Queen spare Snow White's life when she didn't yet know Snow White was "the fairest"? And if she did know, all the more reason! Why spare her?? The Huntsman was, I would argue, the best developed character - at least in comparison to the others. At the very least, you knew enough to explain his drinking problem and his bitterness... That said, his wasn't an overly complex character to portray. For exactly that reason, it seemed more than a little ridiculous that the Huntsman *alone* carried the romantic scenes between he and Snow White. For instance, at one point, as he leads Snow White through the forest, he takes a knife to her skirts (apparently he thought they were getting in the way). Snow White stares blankly at the Huntsman and it is only once he says "don't flatter yourself" that you realize the emotion Snow White was supposedly showing was chaste shock. Granted that, perhaps if I was more familiar with Kristen Stewart's acting, I might have recognized what she was portraying, but, on the other hand, I'm more of the mind that I shouldn't need to know your acting style in order to recognize so basic an emotion. This kind of jarring (not in a good way) and unbalanced acting was repeated at the end of the film when Snow White is crowned and the Huntsman enters the room. Looking at Snow White, one sees only a blank yet tearful smile, but when The camera turns to the Huntsman it dawns on you that there was supposed to be some sort of moment passing between them. All in all, the chemistry existed only on the side of the Huntsman, leaving much to be desired from Kristen Stewart's portrayal. And that, of course, brings us to Snow White. The character seems to borrow much from Joan of Arc to the point that one might wonder if she wondered into the wrong film. There is an attempt to develop the character but Ms Stewart seems to be little able to carry the development of what might have been a very strong female character. The only hint of real strength comes with Snow White's battle speech which would've been fantastic except for the utter lack of build up to this newfound strength of character. So, in spite of the best intentions, this moment came across as contrived. If only Kristen Stewart had managed to keep up that pace of energy throughout the rest of the film, it might have been more believable. So, unfortunately, though I had high hopes, I actually found myself rolling my eyes frequently and feeling a bit like I was watching someone show off all his "super awesome" visual effects - which *was* pretty cool... Just not enough to carry a story. In conclusion, if you count yourself as one who likes a good plot, great character development, and strong female leads... Either lower your expectations or skip this one entirely.
197 out of 287 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.