Snow White and the Huntsman (2012) Poster

Who told Kristen Stewart she could be an actress?
marcia-varaschin5 June 2012
The movie is good (not great, though), specially because of the visual effects and Charlize Theron acting. She is great, beautiful, impressive, plays her role full of passion, as usual. Also I think there was no need for a 127 minutes picture. It could last less time, because in some moments I felt like they were just dragging it for no reason. I expected more, but all the problem is with Snow White choice. Kristen Stewart is like my refrigerator, no matter what I put in it (milk, soda, eggs, vegetables, meat), it is and it will always be a refrigerator. And so is she. She is always the same, no matter what role she is playing. If she can be an actress, so can my refrigerator. They are both cold and have no expression.
411 out of 520 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Bad casting killed this one for me...
xalterax-mc1 June 2012
Well I saw huntsman the opening night, midnight showing. I went into it expecting something amazing. It was...alright. Honestly the visuals were really good. I enjoyed the how well Chris Hemsworth and Charlize Theron portrayed their roles and drew me into the story. The little girl that played Snow White at the beginning had me entranced, and everything was going great - then she grew up.

Kristen Stewart as the female lead really ruined the whole film for me. She was depressingly emotionless and despite everyone in the film's world wanting to save and protect a otherwise unlikable character due to the character's performance, left me neither identifying with nor liking the character. I felt for the little girl at the beginning, who was easily 5 times the actor Kristen Stewart was in this film.

Everyone I went with felt the same.

Throughout the film she is very quiet, and what lines she has aren't memorable at all (again, no emotion). Chris Hemsworth pours his heart out to her in one scene, and while she was asleep and ultimately it was his kiss that woke her...she goes on, cold and emotionless - feeling nothing for him. Very sad, as the first 10 minutes had me very excited for the rest of the film - but then it just fell apart when she failed time and time again to react or become a likable character.

She acts the same in the Twilight movies, as far as I understand - so I'll continue to stay away from those as well. The rest of the movie was a good production, though it dragged a little at parts. To avoid the same problem in the future, I will simply abstain from anything Kristen Stewart is in. If you want to see this, but haven't seen say - Avengers, see that instead.

I'd wait for Redbox on this one.
473 out of 644 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Entertaining but weak plot
labecker-388-1901574 June 2012
As a huge fan of fantasy books and films, I had very high hopes for this one... Especially when people said "oh, you liked Lord of the Rings? You'll love this!" The verdict? I now know who *not* to listen to next time. If your tastes are similar to mine, you tend to read the books before watching the movies and you don't really follow particular actors. So, really, I had high expectations for this film - and that might've been the problem... Charlize Theron played the evil queen well but I would've loved it if the film had delved further into the queen's history as several ideas were started but never really explained (I have a decent imagination but I don't really think, as a viewer, I should be entirely responsible for thinking up ways to connect the dots). For instance, why is the Queen able to feel everything her brother feels? Why did her mother decide to give her the spell rather than both her and her brother or just her brother? And why, once we get into the meat (or the attempt at the meat) of the story, did the Queen spare Snow White's life when she didn't yet know Snow White was "the fairest"? And if she did know, all the more reason! Why spare her?? The Huntsman was, I would argue, the best developed character - at least in comparison to the others. At the very least, you knew enough to explain his drinking problem and his bitterness... That said, his wasn't an overly complex character to portray. For exactly that reason, it seemed more than a little ridiculous that the Huntsman *alone* carried the romantic scenes between he and Snow White. For instance, at one point, as he leads Snow White through the forest, he takes a knife to her skirts (apparently he thought they were getting in the way). Snow White stares blankly at the Huntsman and it is only once he says "don't flatter yourself" that you realize the emotion Snow White was supposedly showing was chaste shock. Granted that, perhaps if I was more familiar with Kristen Stewart's acting, I might have recognized what she was portraying, but, on the other hand, I'm more of the mind that I shouldn't need to know your acting style in order to recognize so basic an emotion. This kind of jarring (not in a good way) and unbalanced acting was repeated at the end of the film when Snow White is crowned and the Huntsman enters the room. Looking at Snow White, one sees only a blank yet tearful smile, but when The camera turns to the Huntsman it dawns on you that there was supposed to be some sort of moment passing between them. All in all, the chemistry existed only on the side of the Huntsman, leaving much to be desired from Kristen Stewart's portrayal. And that, of course, brings us to Snow White. The character seems to borrow much from Joan of Arc to the point that one might wonder if she wondered into the wrong film. There is an attempt to develop the character but Ms Stewart seems to be little able to carry the development of what might have been a very strong female character. The only hint of real strength comes with Snow White's battle speech which would've been fantastic except for the utter lack of build up to this newfound strength of character. So, in spite of the best intentions, this moment came across as contrived. If only Kristen Stewart had managed to keep up that pace of energy throughout the rest of the film, it might have been more believable. So, unfortunately, though I had high hopes, I actually found myself rolling my eyes frequently and feeling a bit like I was watching someone show off all his "super awesome" visual effects - which *was* pretty cool... Just not enough to carry a story. In conclusion, if you count yourself as one who likes a good plot, great character development, and strong female leads... Either lower your expectations or skip this one entirely.
170 out of 246 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
epically bad
Rose19802 June 2012
It's hard to find polite words to describe this movie, but I did start laughing about 2/3 through it, and that's not a good sign as it is not a comedy. With such memorable lines to call together an army as 'fire melts iron and it will writhe inside itself....' Wah?? Charlize Theron - who I had always respected - comes off as a grudgingly aging Real Housewives of Beverly Hills - wait, no - Orange County wearing bad eye makeup and screeching in reality-TV-caliber hissy-fit.... and I had always liked her. Kristin Stewart resembles her MAD cartoon parody. She's able to play the suffering goth waif, but when her character is supposed to play fired up or determined, she comes off more as a high school freshman that is determined to retrieve her math book from the library before the bell rings for class - not too powerful.... And when Chris Hemsworth gives a stand-out acting performance as the most believable character in this manufactured dark 'epic', well.... ya know you're in trouble.... I do admire the writers' ability, however, to cram every cliché that has ever been imagined into this 14-hour, I mean 2-hour story. Please note that I am generous in calling it a story since it actually had no plot. The characters had no depth. I was hoping that they would have done more with the wicked queen as that could have been a juicy part, but she was about as deep as the aforementioned 'Housewives.' The musical score was magnificently inappropriate for the scenes and built up at the oddest times so that one would expect something was about to happen... instead we are presented with a magical deer that doesn't really do anything but has a white aura around it. However, the musical crescendo that accompanies this scene makes you think Something is going to happen (it doesn't). OK - last negative criticism - a fun game would be to take a shot every time one of the actors unexpectedly breaks into a Really bad and unexpected British accent. Just sayin. And now I'll say something nice: the costumes were pretty good - impressive really.
128 out of 202 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The Snow White story, except she ends up becoming a trained warrior...and there's a happily ever after, as always.
thetweedledumb1810 June 2012
It's an interesting retelling of Snow White, and I rather enjoyed the idea of Snow White ending up with the Huntsman as opposed to the fairly personality-less prince.

One gets the feeling with this film, though, that Snow White (portrayed by Kristen Stewart) deserves the prince with no personality, as she has very little personality herself. I cannot call this film completely awful, because casting Chris Hemsworth as the Huntsman I believe was an excellent choice. He is full of animation and character, even a bit godlike (Thor-reference intended) and is the perfect hero for the film.

You get sort of a Twilight feeling with this film, though, because Kristen Stewart makes what was supposed to be warrior-Snow White seem like she needs all the supporting cast to give her a personality and save her. She isn't her own person in this film or the Twilight films.

Charlize Theron, being the excellent villain that she is, ends up overacting and makes her role seem extremely over-dramatic. Obviously, the evil queen is supposed to be desperate and, well, evil, but you get the feeling that Theron is actually over-acting to make up for Stewart's lack of it.

Even when she's supposed to be happy, you get the feeling that nothing is going on in her head. Stewart's method of acting seems to be empty one's head of everything and say your lines. Toward the end, when she makes her speech to rally the troops, it is the most emotional we have ever seen her in the film and I had high hopes. Unfortunately, due to the writing, she essentially said nothing, and I feel like the passion of the troops was totally non sequitur to her speech.

The only parts of the film that had characters I and others didn't hate were the bits with only the dwarfs and with the children at the beginning. Time was not kind to Snow White. She seemed to have lost not only her personality but her looks as well. Kristen Stewart's lack of acting seems to make everyone saying she's pure disingenuous, and even with Chris Hemsworth staring at her in love and admiration trying to convince you that she's worthy of it, as you watch her you get the feeling that perhaps he injured his head at some point previously.

Even Chris Hemsworth and Charlize Theron, the most likable characters for the majority of the film, make you hate them because of the writing of the film. Perhaps the director told Charlize Theron to overact, but both ended up seeming ridiculous because of the writing.

The religious bit confused me too: at a point toward the beginning of the film, Snow White says an Our Father and acts pious, but not only was there no religion in the original Snow White, there are no other references to religion throughout the film. You'd think there were many points where she might pray, but did not, so I can't see why they felt the need to include it at the beginning. It certainly wasn't to make the film longer. It was too long already.

Thus, I give this film a 3/10, and I can only hope that if they actually go through with Snow White and the Huntsman 2, they change the casting of Snow White to an actress more suited to the role. Dye Emma Watson's hair black and cast her (if she isn't tired of acting nowadays...)! I wouldn't mind it, honestly. Also, they might need to change writers...and director...and most things about the film...except the visual effects and Chris Hemsworth. I'd say don't change Theron, but her character died, so...
66 out of 101 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Don't believe the hype - This ones a snoozefest. Stiff acting, very bad pacing.
Theedg34 June 2012
The trailers were great, they got me interested, had me excited to finally see Snow White And The Huntsman but my excitement quickly turned to disappointment. The movie starts off well showing you how the Queen came to power and did a good job of introducing her to the audience but it fell apart soon after that.

The acting was very stiff throughout the film, I believe Kristen Stewart was miscast for the part of Snow White, she doesn't have the acting chops to play even a semi serious role like this one. She should stick to the Twilight series.

The pacing of the film also just felt off. Their are a lot of anti climatic scenes such as the ending, it just leaves you wanting more or wondering what they could of done to make this a better movie.

Dialogue throughout the movie was pretty bad as well, people in my theater only laughed once or twice and that was during a scene that wasn't even intended to be funny.

Most critics praised Therons performance, but she really just whined the entire time and was over the top, she didn't really deliver, but she was the best part of the film.

184 out of 303 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
See it for the visuals, not for the story
enddetour7 June 2012
Plot: Warrior princess Snow White takes on the wicked queen with a little help from people she barely knows. Drive-in Rating: Yield right of way.

Just to get it out of the way, I don't understand the appeal of Kristen Stewart as an actress. She always has the look of a stuck up brat to me. There, done with the casting critique.

The movie was visually stunning and Charlize Theron made for a truly wicked-good Queen. Chris Hemsworth was compelling (in a vacuum) and the dwarfs (casting controversy aside) were engaging. I love that the writers know their fairy tales enough to remember what properly lives under a bridge!

...but I didn't find myself rooting for the entitled heroine or her comrades. The story idea was good enough but the writers tried to pack so many concepts into 127 minutes that they forgot a little character and conflict development. Even the most compelling scenes, the final kiss for example, left much to be desired (I'm not spoiling anything by telling you there's a kiss, it's a well-known plot point in the fairy tale). In addition, there were some unacceptable leaps in logic (for example, what compelled the Queen's brother to tell the Huntsman the truth about his wife?).

And finally, is there an award for the least compelling title of the year? "Fairest Blood" immediately comes to mind as a reasonable alternative.

If you pay to see this in the theater, make sure it's because you want to see the visuals on the big screen.
46 out of 69 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Big Disappointment!!! - MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS!!!!
Magellan864 June 2012
I have NEVER posted a review on IMDb before and I'm so sorry to inform you that this movie was so bad, I HAD say something! It might have been watchable but there was absolutely NO way that I could get past Charlize's horrible HORRIBLE British accent! Thank God for her beauty.

Next, KRISTEN STEWART was just terrible! How she got the lead in this only God knows! Completely emotionless and a very laughable "pumping up" speech at the end. And WHY oh WHY does she always have her mouth open? Every time she was on camera, she had an absentminded look with her mouth hanging open showing off her horse teeth! Its NOT pretty! It was just too awful to watch this movie, all I could see were Kristen's teeth the whole time.

And William? Take him out of the movie and it would have worked out the same! His character was pretty much useless in the movie.
135 out of 220 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
So much potential ... down the tubes
darth-tobe6 June 2012
What a load of nonsense. Those were 127 almost completely redundant minutes. It doesn't happen often but after about the first third I was considering leaving the cinema and only the ticket price kept me in my seat and the vague hope that something might change. It didn't.

Where to start? There was no build-up, no climax (more of an anti-climax actually) and no development of any sort. There was a bunch of characters that fit together awkwardly at best: imagine Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Aragorn, Luke Skywalker and the guys from Hot Fuzz against the Wicked Witch and the Terminator - that about covers it. There was nothing that made you feel one way or the other about the characters since they all had their reasons for doing what they did and ... since it fit the plot it was fine anyway and they didn't need to change. The whole piece had a plot and general look and feel that couldn't make up its mind if it was going to be Chronicles of Narnia, Joan of Arc or ... Pan's Labyrinth? There were, however, a lot of pointless details that didn't matter to the plot but they were just there - take the queen's background, take the troll bridge, I could go on. There were a lot of over-acted emotions, like the queen screaming at people in slow motion for no apparent reason (both the screaming and the slow motion); and I cannot remember seeing Snow White in any shot in which she did not have tears in her eyes.

I still wonder where they wanted to take this picture. Dark fantasy with sex-appeal and gritty violence might have been a good idea but it seems the writer and production designers were too busy being politically correct to go all the way. There are a few things that I liked, which is why I give the film a 3 but those are just details and would contain spoilers. Like this the film just seems to try and capture as many tastes as possible but delivers nothing really. And then suddenly it's over as if the producer had said: "that's enough now." Maybe that was actually a blessing in disguise. Reading the original fairytale is still more exciting.
224 out of 377 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Anything good has been done better before.
louislugger326 June 2012
The few good things about this movie have all been done better in other movies.

I went into this film with an open mind. The first thing I believed was that reviews had been too harsh on Kristen Stewart and I was willing to give her a chance. Bad call. Snow White's primary expression for most of the movie is a blank stare with her mouth hanging open. At one point when She is armored up she delivers what is supposed to be a rousing speech to the troops. Instead it was Kristen Stewart just shouting with no passion and certainly no inspiration. There is also no chemistry between Snow White and the Huntsman. In reality the only lead actor who shows any charisma and actual development is the evil queen. There is little to no development for any other characters, which manages to even drag down Chris Hemsworth's role as the Huntsman.

While the movie did have decent special effects, they aren't enough to save the film and even they have been done better in other films. The "action" sequences are sparse and fairly generic.

I was very disappointed with this film. It had potential, but a bad script and boring/non-existent acting on Stewart's part destroyed it. If you want an actual captivating fantasy film, you'd be far better off watching Lord of the Rings, Chronicles of Narnia, or even the most recent version of Alice in Wonderland. The movies listed actually have a good script and good acting along with good fight sequences and excellent special effects. There is simply nothing memorable about this rendition of Snow White.
57 out of 88 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Wonderful Dark Adaptation of the Classic Fairytale
claudio_carvalho18 November 2012
Once upon a time, King Magnus (Noah Huntley) and his Queen have a beautiful daughter, Snow White, who is raised with her best friend William. When the Queen passes away, the King grieves her death but has to fight against a dark invader army. He rescues a beautiful prisoner, Ravenna (Charlize Theron), and on the next day he marries her. On the wedding night, Ravenna stabs King Magnus on the chest and brings the enemy army led by her brother Finn (Sam Spruell) that destroys the King's army. Ravenna imprisons Snow White on the Northern Tower of the castle while William, his father The Duke and a few survivors escape from the castle.

Years later, the kingdom is completely depleted and Queen Ravenna, who is an evil witch, keeps her beauty draining the youth of young ladies. When the Magic Mirror tells that Snow White would be the source of her immortality, she asks Finn to bring the princess to her. However, Snow White (Kristen Stewart) escapes and flees to the Dark Forest. Queen Ravenna brings a Huntsman (Chris Hemsworth) that misses his wife and she promises to bring her back to life provided he catches Snow White to her. But when he captures Snow White, he discovers that the evil Queen lied to him and he becomes the protector of the princess. Meanwhile William (Sam Claflin) learns that Snow White is alive and he heads to join Finn's men to meet her. The Huntsman and Snow White meet the eight dwarfs that bring them to the magic Fairytale Land. When they are attacked by Finn and his men, William also finds them and the group heads to the Duke's castle with the intention of beginning an uprising against the Ravenna. But the evil Queen will try to get her aimed immortality.

"Snow White and the Huntsman" is a wonderful dark adaptation of the classic fairytale "Snow White" by the Brothers Grimm and adapted to the cinema and immortalized by Walt Disney. The story is excellent, despite minor flaws like for example Snow White running and swimming after years imprisoned in a dirty tower, and is supported by a great screenplay, magnificent cinematography and CGI and good acting. There are unbelievable negative reviews in IMDb and my only remark is that the talented Kristen Stewart has never been more beautiful (actually, he uses the word The Fairest) than the gorgeous Charlize Theron, despite their difference of ages: the Magic Mirror is wrong. My vote is eight.

Title (Brazil): "Branca de Neve e o Caçador" ("Snow White and the Huntsman")
46 out of 70 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
All in all a big disappointment!
robtolboom10 June 2012
Very poor performance from Kristen Stewart. She keeps looking as if she is sitting on the toilet and doesn't convince nor captivate the audience in many scenes. At one point in the movie she gave the men a pep talk, one of the worst ever! Almost all her dialogues are poor and unconvincing.

The only thing that kind of kept me in the audience were the funny dwarfs. Also the CGI was pretty nice. But the bottom line remains, acting is the most important and especially that of the leading role...

Apart from Kristen, the other actors were OK, but unfortunately not enough to save the movie.

All in all a big disappointment!
270 out of 468 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Worth it
zack_wall1 June 2012
I must say, when I first heard the news that there was going to be a Snow White live-action film, I had a good laugh. When I heard that Kristen Stewart was going to play Snow White, I had an even bigger laugh. But when I saw the trailer, I stopped laughing. And then I watched the movie, and knew I had to write a review. This film is not going to win many(if any) awards, nor will it be a favorite this year, but it is entirely a good movie. Stunning visual effects, many great landscape shots, good acting, great action, and a believable storyline. This is not the Disney film you are used to, but a much grittier and more mature take on the original tale. You should not take your children to this film, nor should the intense nature of the film scare you off. I enjoyed it from start to finish, and I think many people will too.
242 out of 428 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A Dreadful Performance by Kristen Stewart
madbeast9 June 2012
Spectacular special effects don't overcome an underwritten relationship between the title characters and a hopelessly miscast Kristen Stewart as Snow White. A scenery-chewing Charlize Theron and a late-in-the-game appearance by the seven dwarfs add some life to the tedium until Stewart - lacking the charm, innocence, and spirituality that the part cries out for - sucks it out again.

The film recalls "The Matrix" in which an interesting premise is dealt a severe blow by a woefully uncharismatic actor portraying a character who the universe of the film needs to rally around in order to survive. But whereas "The Matrix" had enough going for it to overcome the vacuum that is Keanu Reeves, "Snow White and the Huntsman" grinds to a plodding halt when Stewart weakly attempts a "Henry V"-like oration to stir up the troops. And when the seven dwarfs (which offer some delightful cameos by actors like Bob Hoskins and Ian McShane) sagely proclaim that Snow White is The One who can save the kingdom, one looks at Stewart's blank gaze and wonders how they reached that conclusion.

Chris Hemsworth provides a perfectly unobjectionable generic beefcake presence as the huntsman of the title, but the script fails to evolve the relationship between the two in any way and the end of the film depicts Hemsworth standing anonymously in the crowd as the crown is inevitably placed on Snow White's head. Then, we are treated to the sight of the new queen standing uncomfortably in front of her subjects in awkward silence, as though no one gave any thought to what might happen next. But the same thing could be said of the screenwriters after typing the words "Act One, Scene One."
38 out of 59 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Snow White: Good but not great
malaysian178930 May 2012
Based on the popular fairytale ''Snow White'' comes the originally titled ''Snow White....and The Huntsman'' ,an epic fantasy film starring teen favourites Kristen Stewart (of Twilight fame) and Chris Hemsworth (of Thor/Avengers fame). Now, detailing the plot shouldn't be too hard, as we all know the story from childhood- Evil Queen (Charlize Theron) with talking mirror is hell-bent on killing her 'pure' step-daughter (Stewart) and hires a Huntsman (Hemsworth) to do the job for her. The Huntsman takes pity on the girl when he finds her, and together they become fugitives, going on a journey that involves meeting Dwarfs. Seven of them to be precise. What follows is a major battle between good and evil to determine who will reign over the Kingdom, the evil Queen or our heroine Snow White?

Now, I enjoyed this film a lot more than I thought I would, it reminded me a lot of Lord of The Rings, from the grand music to the mountain scenery, and it does feature a few spectacular fight scenes. Visually, this is an impressive film, however, the film focuses too much on visuals and not enough on characters, the Dwarfs are glossed over and never really given any time to engage with the audience, which is a shame, as the group contains excellent actors (Ray Winstone and Bob Hoskins, amongst others ). Kristen Stewart as Snow White seems to think she's still playing Bella from Twilight, (i.e no range of emotions, just a blank stare for the whole film), especially when opposite to her is Charlize Theron giving an amazingly dramatic performance as the Queen. To sum up, a good re-telling of a classic, but by no means as good as the Disney Classic which most of us remember.

162 out of 282 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I wanted my money back
jessiere41813 June 2012
With all the hype for this movie and some really good actors (Ian McShane, Chris Hemsworth, Charlize Theron, Bob Hoskins) it was a let down. The writers didn't give Stewart enough lines and lines they did give her were horrid. That speech? That was suppose to motivate people? What the hell? The girl didn't smile at all. And yes I know the movie was set in a dark time, and there is no happiness in the land. But she didn't smile when she was brought back to life nor at the end.

Let's talk about the ending. The line Stewart has, "You cannot have my heart." That was it? Really? That's the big ending that you have? You have got to be kidding me. That in no shape or form should have been the last line of the movie.

And the love triangle that they still left in tack at the end, it's not that much of a triangle. She doesn't appear interested in either of them. The two men are in love with her, and only one is true love. But you would have no idea that is the case, because there is no sign of emotion on her part.

Don't pay to see this movie. Anyone who tells you that Stewart was amazing in this movie, has a very odd definition of, "amazing." She had about 15-20 lines, not including the speech. There wasn't much acting required on her part and it's so blatantly obvious that it seems intentional.
52 out of 85 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Now This Queen is The Ultimate Villain
aharmas27 May 2012
When I saw the previews for both of the upcoming "Snow White" adaptations, I was excited. The take with Julia felt wrong, though it looked pretty good. When I saw Charlize fulminating eyes in "The Huntsman" I knew it would hard to miss the target. This film delivers because it goes back what inspired the original source: haunted forests, dirty, hopeless villages, dark, imposing castles, and an electrifying and literally heart-stopping villain. This one got as far away from Disney as it is possible and works as a perfect bookend to 75 years of attempts to capture the spirit of the original tale.

There are changes, and it is a very radical spin by making the heroine a stronger match to the diabolical queen, a bruised and bitter, yet majestic portrayal by the magical Theron, an actress who speaks volumes with a look, a quick glance, or a murderous stare. She is as impressive here as she was in "Monster". She wears the fabulous costumes by Atwood by an almost supernatural grace. She is worthy of every crown, every jewel, every outrageous outfit. She is great because her fantastical character feels almost real and is so powerful, that she is missed while she is not on the screen.

In this picture, Snow White is not a meek and scared child. She must confront unexpected dangers and her evil stepmother, and she finds courage pretty much where her enemy does, deep inside her soul or heart. Both understand why each's demise is crucial and vital to the other. For most of the film, Theron is in a crusade to kill White by taking a hold of her heart. Theron also knows this young princess is the only who can destroy her, and that is enough motivation for some amazing trickery.

There are plenty of breathtaking moments, from the powerful introduction of the duplicitous queen to the most fantastic display of magic on the screen involving fairies. This would inspire even Shakespeare to write a sequel to a couple of his comedies.It is gorgeous and wonderful scene that will have people talking for a while, and Spielberg must have inspired others to use a beautiful white stallion for maximum effect in a terrifying scene.

Be prepared to be surprised and entertained by many actors doing top work, and this is very hard considering how Theron owns the screen. Stewart does very good work as Snow White, but the movie belongs to Theron. She is the dark force that lives in the heart of many classics, and it is hard to picture anyone else doing anything remotely close.

A very good fairy tale, with plenty of heart.
70 out of 118 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Excellent Take On A Classic Tale
dan_quirke14 May 2012
When I heard they were making this film, I was slightly anxious how this would turn out. After the disappointing re-imagining of Alice In Wonderland, I feared this would go the same way. I was wrong. Everything about this film was excellent. The level of design, the cinematography, the acting and the special effects all absolutely shone and brought this world to life, stepping effortlessly from serene and beautiful, to tough and gritty in a heart beat.

So lets talk about the cast. Yes, I had my reservations when I heard the main three characters were all played by non-Brits (Stewart, Theron and Hemsworth) having said that, they all played their characters excellently. Stewart's portrayal of Snow White was a subtle and intelligent performance. Her accent (and this is coming from a Brit) was pretty good, in fact all three did very well in that department. Stewart has really progressed as an actress and found her feet in this film. She looked absolutely stunning with the help of incredible cinematography, but what impressed me most of all was her characters arc throughout the film. She has really provided young girls with an excellent role model. Turning from a damsel in distress to a woman who can really stand her ground and fight for what she believes in.

Chris Hemsworth surprised me in this film. His accent did suffer slightly, however it did not detract from what I thought was a great performance. In particular the scene in which he talks about his dead wife to a lifeless Snow White was extremely heartfelt and showed a side to him that I've have not seen in his previous movies.

Theron, Queen Ravenna, played the part expertly. Her character could have easily have become two dimensional, but Charlize added a quality which almost gained sympathy from the audience. Her struggle for undying beauty and immortally, may be a shallow one, however the way she played it with such commitment, energy and sometimes poignancy made us completely believe how deeply craved for it, therefore earning her right to be so deliciously wicked.

I would liked to have seen more of the seven dwarfs and I feel they were slightly under used. Ray Winstone, Nick Frost and Toby Jones provided the comic relief the film needed in such darkness however also provided one of the most touching scenes which was acted brilliantly by all and shot stunningly.

Adding to the beautiful camera work was the stirring, operatic score. Composed by James Newton Howard, it really lifted the film and stood out over the chaos of the battle scenes, created tension in all the right places, and moved me to the point where my hair on my arms and neck stood on end.

Finally, I would whole heartedly recommend this film. This is the best blockbuster this year and has really given the kiss of life to the fairy tale genre, breathing new air into a this classic form of story telling. The director Rupert Sanders said in his speech before the film, that he wanted to create a film with heart, that he felt has been missing from some movies recently, and he really has delivered. It would have been easy for a new director to be overwhelmed by such a large budget, scale and special effects, but not once did he let it overshadow the story and the characters. Snow White says in the film :"You will not take me heart" which is exactly was Sanders seems to have said to Hollywood Blockbusters, as he has created a film with so much heart, that not even a poison apple could put it to sleep.
159 out of 294 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Visually Generic
billygoat10712 June 2012
This is the second Snow White adaptation released this year except this one is designed as an action, adventure. Both are not quite outstanding but they gave some interesting twists to the story. Unfortunately, there is something gold about this but it cares too much to the visuals than anything else. There are also scenes that are taken from other fantasy, epic movies. It's good looking, but good looking is not always enough.

The twist is pretty interesting. The Evil Queen's tragic past, more significance to The Huntsman, turning Snow White into a gritty protagonist. Though the dwarfs are the same in Tarsem Singh's version. These elements could have made this a memorable and fresh adaptation, but they just threw these things to the film lazily. The plotting is mediocre which made the second act a bit boring. The action is nothing but looking good. It looks fascinating but you'll rarely see a real fight.

You already know what Kristen Stewart and Chris Hemsworth will do but the audiences are more interested to Charlize Theron's performance. She sort of hammed it up when in rage but she does it pretty well in the rest. Another attraction to this is the visuals. Like I said, it's too pretty. It's never wrong for the visuals to be pretty especially to a film called Snow White. It's too pretty, they already careless about the plot. Decided to choose the generic way. Heroes meeting new friends, settle down, fight, settle down. Just waiting for the climax to come without any much development.

I'm starting to think when I first saw it, it's like Ridley Scott's Robin Hood. It's an old tale with a charismatic protagonist turned into a gritty one, but this one is a bit different. It refuses to be gritty and wants to be pretty and generic. The real action is few, the effect of drama is limited. The visuals can be spellbinding but anything else is just empty. There is a good story in the film but it's told in a generic way with a generic plot and filled with stuff that is borrowed from other films. One might enjoy it by its looks but if you care for more than that then it will be unsatisfying. Snow White and the Huntsman can be part of those clichéd modern fantasy movies like Clash of the Titans, Conan The Barbarian, and Immortals. But at least this film is the best of its kind. It's not bad nor good. It's just a waste of potential of a new good film.
79 out of 140 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Snow White and The Huntsman is no poison apple
gozar7129 May 2012
Mirror Mirror on the wall how was Snow White and the Huntsman after all? This is definitely a must see for the summer if you love fantasy type movies in the vain of Lord of the Rings and Legend. Great scenes incorporating stunning action sequences, comedy and what you know of the story from your youth but without running over that same old ground until it is mud. Many new fresh takes on the classic tale are here for sure to keep you entertained for it's 2 hour duration while allowing you to escape into it's magical world. Charlize Theron is amazing as the evil queen and Chris Hemsworth does a bang up job as the Huntsman. The CG effects throughout the movie are very well done and add that little bit you need to a film like this. The PG 13 rating is also appropriate since the film has a very Dark overshadow and may not be the best for small children to view. With the 2012 Summer movie season already well on the way with blockbusters such as the Avengers and MIB III, Snow White and the Huntsman will fit in just fine and hold it's own for sure.
147 out of 278 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
What a breathtakingly raw adaptation!
arfa12914 May 2012
When my friend called me up on the morning of 14th May telling me that she won tickets to the premiere of this movie and wanted me to come along, I couldn't believe it. I was half asleep when she called me and in my sleep state I was tempted to say no and hit the hay but THANK GOD I DIDN'T.

This movie was absolutely breath taking from the very first scene and it's tremendous considering Rupert Sanders is a first time director. Not even the most experienced directors could have taken this where Rupert took it. The visual imagery was so raw and edgy, I could actually feel Queen Ravenna's lust for beauty and her hatred for Snow White and it's safe to say that Charlize Theron was the perfect actress for this role. Only she could make an evil queen seem vulnerable at the same time.

Kristen Stewart was a pleasant surprise! After the Twilight movies, I had somewhat doubted her abilities as an actress but I'm glad and relieved to say that she proved me wrong. She brought such heart, passion and bravery to this role and yes, Snow White did kick some ass! K-Stew was all suited up in armour with her sword in hand ready to fight for her Kingdom unlike the airy fairy Lily Collins in "Mirror, Mirror". It's refreshing to see young blood bringing something new to cinema and not what has been done a thousand times before so thanks K-Stew, you're definitely one to watch!

Chris Hemsworth was fantastic as the Huntsman! A "brute with a heart" he most certainly is! Chris Hemsworth brought such strength and vulnerability to the Huntsman. He may appear very rugged and unkempt in the movie but don't let that fool you...his character is soft at heart and is willing to do anything to be a good human being but he doesn't show it as most of us do. He chooses to prove his loyalty by giving his word to Snow White...I won't say anymore but prepare for an interesting twist there!

The dwarfs were amazing and had such attitude, Toby Jones, Ian McShane, Ray Winstone gave delightful performances and were definitely one of the highlights of the movies.

Overall, the movie is a solid 10/10 and I will definitely watch it again...YOU SHOULD TOO!
303 out of 601 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Fail!
rockitoutwithmusic11 June 2012
Ugh, this movie was disappointing to me! I was waiting the whole time for something to really hit me, and nothing did. The Huntsman only "taught" Snow White one thing. The end was the worst. They never clarify anything. Who does she end up choosing in the end? It could be either dude. The Huntsman wasn't wearing fancy clothes at the end and it looked like he was going to leave, so does that mean she doesn't choose him? I was so confused at the end and mad that they didn't finish the plot. Also, the writers held the awkward scenes out too long and didn't hold important scenes out long enough. The end scene was way too long. I felt awkward sitting there staring at Snow White being queen for 20 minutes. Overall, I felt like it had so much potential, but it failed miserably.
45 out of 80 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
An Artful Analysis of Femininity, Not a Bed Time Story
portunhol_262 June 2012
My wife wanted to see it. We saw "John Carter" because I was curious and neither of us really liked that movie. It was my turn. I had wriggled my way out of seeing the other Snow White movie but now I was going to have to bite the bullet. I was pleasantly surprised. The story and special effects, which are very good, are really all just one level of this movie. It's really about different aspects of feminine beauty.

The Evil Queen (played perfectly by Charlize Theron) is very appropriately symbolized by a raven: a carrion bird that feeds off of death for its own benefit. Her beauty is objectified. Instead of allowing herself to be vulnerable she embraces the objectification and uses it to spread death and destruction for her own gain. She is particularly threatened by and benefits the most from the beauty of other women. She also obsesses about youth. Has anyone else met this woman before because I certainly have! Snow White is the flip side of the same coin. She is beautiful without being objectified. She has no symbol but is almost portrayed as Mother Nature incarnate. She inspires, nurtures and heals. Instead of feeling threatened by the beauty around her she reveals in it. She brings out the best in others. It is clear that she does not need anyone to tell her that she is beautiful in order for her to feel that way.

Modern feminism is often laughable. Women can only be "free" and "empowered" if they act as libertine as the worst male philanderer without being criticized for it any more than their male counter parts. They must be objectified to be powerful. To them sex is power. They are symbolized by the Evil Queen in this movie.

This Snow White is refreshing because she is not a sex toy defined by her beauty. Though she is aided by men she is certainly not defined by them or helpless without them. She is also aided by other women for that matter. She knows who she is and struggles to realize her potential as best she can, just like everyone does whether male or female. Her self-realization does not come at the cost of anyone else's, in fact, as she becomes freer so do all those who surround her. She does not need someone else to feel smaller for her to feel better. It's a wonderful message.

No matter how much your little eight-year-old girl begs do not take her to this movie. There was a small child behind me and my wife who often became very frightened by the movie's violence. Take your sixteen-year-old instead. Maybe she will see that there is more for her to be than eye candy.
160 out of 315 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Bad acting and rushed plot.
Alef4425 June 2012
When I was invited to see Snow White I thought "no way I'm seeing this". Then I saw the trailer, and read that Kristen Stewart was playing Snow White. I got curious and watched it.

The plot had some minor holes and was rushed so that they could fit some scenes imagined by the writers into the original fairy tale.

Everyone who I discussed the movie with agreed that Kristen Stewart lacked grace, beauty, and talent. She just doesn't fit the Snow White part, and apparently the mockery on her not being able to smile has some grounds. I didn't like the acting on Charlize Theron as Ravenna, but that's just me. The supporting actors were pretty good, I liked the acting on most dwarfs and some other characters.

There were also some absurd scenes, like flaming arrows knocking down trees. There were some details I thought interesting, though, such as Snow White's nails being dirty. The scenarios were very (too much?) imaginative and nicely displayed.

Overall, a 3 out of 10. And it's not just me, 10 out of 12 people who I watched the movie with thought it was a waste of time and money.
37 out of 65 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not Cool, Universal
jacobs_cabin238 June 2012
"Once upon a time, in deep winter, a queen was admiring the falling snow, when she saw a rose blooming in defiance of the cold." Thus began the delightful monstrosity entitled "Snow White and the Huntsman", which I had the privilege (honor? misfortune?) of seeing last Friday. I wasn't expecting a masterpiece. What I got, however, was a terrible, laughable camp-fest I should have been prepared for given Universal's reputation for big-budget romps.

The cheesiness makes it or breaks it for the viewer. If you're looking for a well-written, well-acted action movie, try "The Avengers." The lines in "Huntsman" are amusing, to say the least, with beauties such as "First I will take your life, my lord. And then I'll take your throne" and "You cannot have my heart." Yes, the latter was used in a literal context.

One of the redeeming aspects of this travesty is its incredible special effects. This film is a visual feast. From the withering apple motif to a completely random, unexplained scene in which a very naked Charlize Theron bathes in milk to the golden magic "mirror" which seems more like a person wrapped in a crazily dynamic gold sheet to the forest made of faeries, these art directors knew their stuff.

This is Disney's version on LSD.

Now for the best (worst) part- the acting. Let's take this one actor at a time. The principal characters: Kristen Stewart as Snow White, Charlize Theron as the Queen, Sam Clafin as the Prince and Chris Hemsworth as the Huntsman.

Kristen Stewart: You may have seen her in the "Twilight" films as Bella Swan. This Snow White is a British Bella Swan who has slightly darker hair. Slightly. She still has to choose between the romantic and the bodybuilder, she still never closes her mouth. I'm starting to think she has a nasal condition. "I've seen what she sees. (pause, exhale) I can kill her (inhale, exhale)." Look for a poisoned apple scene from Stewart reminiscent of childbirth. This is a near-reprisal of her vampire bite scene from "Twilight".

Charlize Theron: she made a beautiful queen, but the character's strangeness and lack of originality drowned out any memorable moments. In addition, her British accent is very poor and dragged out. Say it with me, everyone! "FIIIIIIIIIIIIND HEEE-AAAAA…" Sam Clafin: This was a performance I was looking forward to, as I was informed that the prince would be Stewart's love interest and the huntsman merely her mentor. Spoiler alert! I was misinformed. Not only was this a sort of poorly constructed love triangle, but the end didn't reveal who Snow White would choose. I guess there's a sequel in the works already, so maybe the screenwriters will make up their minds. After all, I became almost invested in the characters I paid eight bucks to see. Clafin's acting was as good as the character he was provided: weak and one-dimensional, too much blubbering.

Chris Hemsworth: If you want to see this man act, watch "Thor". You'll get the exact same performance without all the nonsense.

This movie is the director Rupert Sanders' first. As far as I'm concerned, enough said.

How do I rate "Snow White and the Huntsman"? Two stars. Do I recommend you see it? I don't know if I'd go that far. Will you benefit from watching it? Absolutely not. But is it a fun movie to watch with a group of friends late at night when everyone is too tired to make sense of anything? …Maybe.
26 out of 44 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.