Bohemian Rhapsody (2018) Poster

1,933 Reviews
The Critics where wrong about the song in 1975,and they are wrong about the movie in 2018
ramonvandinther28 October 2018
This movie is a must see for any music and movie lover Queen fan or no Queen fan,anyone who sees this movie will be going through a rollercoaster of Emotions Beeing it Queens music or the story behind the music Rami Malek puts down an excellent version of Freddie Mercury, but all the actors play great in this movie In my opinion best thing to do is ignore the criticism and go see it for yourself.
1,916 out of 2,103 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
One of my favorites in 75 years
nanci-5575912 November 2018
I'm a 75 yr old Gramma that saw this movie with her son and grandson. We all Loved it! I "heard" Queen music as I worked and raised my 4 children, but never really knew the band it came from. My children Lived with Queen music, and totally identified with them, especially in their band performances. My grandson heard Queen because his father played it all the time. We saw this movie as a family and the movie was about family, friends, and loyalty. The typical band movie is about rising-to-fame, falling-from-fame. This movie is about hanging together as family, as loyal friends ..something we Really need more of today!! The 2 :15 time frame flies by and you're left wanting more...more... more... Rami Malek is awesome as Freddie! He, his 3 co-stars, last director, music director, and entire crew deserve nominations! See this in a theatre that has great sound where you can appreciate the depth of the music! One of my most favorite movies in 75 years!
545 out of 597 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Queen is king!!
david-626-14806324 October 2018
Wow! I feel mind-blown after watching the world premiere yesterday evening. I am whether a megahuge Queen fan (although I really like many of their songs), nor do I know how accurate the storytelling is (, but I suppose pretty accurate since both Brian May and Roger Taylor are co-producers of the film), but I found the movie both intoxicating and moving. I have read some of the professional reviews, and I cannot comprehend their search of documentary wisdom in this movie; this is not a documentary, but an entertaining story of one of the world's most iconic bands. And the film delivers on all aspects. (And the critics were so wrong about the song Bohemian Rhapsody upon its release).

As Brian May pinpointed in the interview on the red carpet, he found that the casting was excellent (I don't remember the exact word he used). But he is so right. Every major role is perfectly casted, and all the band members are brilliant. But I must emphasize Rami Malek's role as Freddie. It has Oscar written all over it. What he does, is almost beyond comparison. Chapeau for even taking on this role, and then delivering what he does. Even better, although marginally, than Michael Douglas in Behind the Candelabra. And Gwilym Lee as Brian May is also a bull's eye, but Malek really carries the production on his tiny shoulders. It was like watching our beloved Freddie all over again.

Many, many memorable moments, but the Live Aid performance recreated: it is one of the best scenes I have ever seen - and I have seen lots and lots of films. Chapeau for director(s) and producers and the whole team for to me delivering the best film YTD in 2018!!
1,044 out of 1,162 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
You go to be entertained, but find yourself moved.
chas_newport25 October 2018
My wife and I both enjoyed this immensely. We are Queen fans and attended the tribute concert a after Freddie died.

This film is extraordinary, first and foremost, for Rami Malek's performance. The physical resemblance is only a small part of that. He had Freddie's body language down to a tee.

But the crowning glory is the vocals. They are absolutely mind blowing. I don't know how they did it, I'm assuming it's Freddie's voice. The lip sync is flawless. If it's Malek singing, the Oscar is in the bag.

I've heard there are some negative reviews floating around. I find that astonishing. I hope Malek gets at least a few nominations for this. He should get multiple awards.
710 out of 800 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
It makes you wish you where born earlier
Toggy8324 October 2018
I dont know how to elaborate more than this. If you are 35 and younger, you will understand after seeing this movie.
762 out of 866 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Truly brilliant.
pulliptears-805-31797325 October 2018
For those of us of a certain age Queen, and especially Freddie, defined us. Sitting through this movie I had goosebumps. The casting just works and watching the actors playing May and Deacon you'd be forgiven in thinking someone had access to a time machine. Even Kenny Everett was instantly recognisable. I left this movie a strange combination of elated and terribly sad. Elated to hear the music, watch the story and yet sad that Freddie was so desperately lonely. Ultimately, I think Freddie would have approved of the whole thing. His genius and flamboyance shone through. Truly brilliant.
613 out of 698 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Long live Queen
senorkairun23 October 2018
I just saw the world premiere and oh boy let me tell you about it:

This movie might not be a masterpiece but my heart is filled with such happiness and joy after watching it that I think it's going to burst (sorry for the cheesiness), Freddie Mercury, Brian May, Roger Taylor and John Deacon are so exquisitely portrayed I sometimes forgot it wasn't them, the performances were so on point and so powerful you could feel the energy burst through the screen. ¿Have you seen the famous car scene in Wayne's world? well, now imagine a full room doing the same, people couldn't help but sing along (lets be honest, it's impossible not too).

I laughed, cried, sang and wished I could have seen Queen live, this band will live forever.
566 out of 656 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Makes you realise what a loss Freddie was
alanfield-7376524 October 2018
This movie was a brilliant portrayal of the mixed up life, and massive talent that was Mercury ... and that is in no way meant to diminish the other fabulous musicians who made up this wonderful band. Whilst Freddie's life and death are quite well documented, his inner turmoil is not - this movie opens this up for all to see, and highlights actions and individuals who had a large influence on his fragile life, both good and horrendously bad. If only he could have been happy with the knowledge that he had one of the best singing voices, if not THE best, that ever fronted a rock band. Rami Malek does a wonderful job of portraying him, and in so many ways has captured his mannerisms to a tee. Loved it, and listening to the music in an IMAX auditorium was brilliant.
437 out of 511 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Extraordinary & Mind-blowing.
raudafitriani2 November 2018
Rami Malek will be forever one of my favorite actors since the day I've watched Mr Robot, I knew he will be one of the biggest star someday. Freddie Mercury is legend, everyone loves him but not everyone knows his story. Freddy Mercury is fearless, but not everyone knows about his desperately lonely. I dont't know how accurate the storytelling is but this movie is absolutely mind blowing and brilliant, such a perfect tribute to the legend!

I'm not saying this movie is perfect or masterpiece, infact this movie has some issues with the director and delayed. But after I walk out of the theater, my heart is filled with joy, tears of happiness, brought so many emotions. That's how you know the movie is fantastic, darling. The casting was brilliant, bravo! I can't get enough with Rami Malek, he obviously worked so hard, Rami Malek pulls off an amazing performance, he just brings Freddie back to life and I don't think you will see any better film about Freddie Mercury again. It's an oppurtunity of a lifetime, every aspects of this movie was executed beautifully. Also the whole cast was so close to perfection! Gwilym as Brian May, Ben as Roger, and Joseph as John are amazing as Rami. Truly magnificent. I recommend to go and see this movie, whether you are fans of Queen or not.
367 out of 430 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Rami Malek you rock!
sarahjanegannon27 October 2018
Wow. What a truly inspiring film. Made me feel that being eccentric and different is ok as long as you are you! The film brought so many emotions - laughter, sadness, joy - very heart warming. At times I forgot I wasn't actually watching the guys from Queen - they all looked so like them - especially May and Mercury. I thought Rami rocked the role. Massive respect to this guy! Would happily pay to go back in and watch it again! My film of 2018!!!!
306 out of 363 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Those movies who make the critics look like a bunch a monkeys
mehdital9 November 2018
I love it when it happens again and again, critics are too lost in their purist world to see something well done. Just watch the movie, it is worth your time!
179 out of 216 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The crtics are wrong!
bmhardy_0524 October 2018
Quite simply the critics are wrong! This is a fitting tribute to the best performer and band of all time.
346 out of 426 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Excellent
jackrlarson-7267923 October 2018
One of the best movies of the year! The performances are all excellent. The music surpasses what I had imagined. Brings back the eighties superbly. The last 15 to 20 brought tears to many in the showing I was at. Don't miss it.
288 out of 357 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I never watched movie 2 times in cinema. Until BohRap
siro-604-94791910 November 2018
Forget the critics. If they want a full biography movie go to discovery channel.

This is the his majesty Queen's movie. Made by and for the fans and non fans

I never watched movie 2 times in cinema - this is the only one i did. I watched on CGV cinema, had my tears, and decided to try the IMAX experience, and it is worthed it.

Rami Malik was excellent, all the casts were! You always thought "We are the Champion" was a cheesy song made for the competition or olympic winners. After watching this movie, boy my view will never be the same of this song. This song deserve a country to use it as national anthemn.

I reiterate - Forget the critics. Go to IMAX and enjoy this movie
117 out of 142 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Bohemian Rhapsody - Before the film my wife said to me ...
brankovranjkovic25 October 2018
Biopic.

Charts the rise to fame of one of the greatest rock bands ever.

Touches on Freddie Mercury's (his stage name) background, then how he met the band and became their front man, the development of their unique sound, their meteoric rise to fame, and the key moments leading to Band Aid.

Briefly (probably too briefly) touches on Freddie's AIDS condition.

The film starts at the same moment as it ends with Freddie arriving on (Live Aid) stage, the last 15 minutes is their whole Live Aid performance.

Before the film my wife said to me ... "I'm not a fan, I didn't like their music, and I'm not looking forward to this" After the film my wife said to me ... "I really enjoyed that, think I'm a fan"

So ... this film is good, whether you think you're a fan or not.
255 out of 325 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Breathtakingly beautiful
virgorat-6644125 October 2018
Today marks the day I officially take no notice of the ergo nursing, vomit spewing, film critics. This film is a masterpiece and it pains me to think that people get paid obscene amounts of money to watch films for free and then slate them to appear clever. Bohemian Rhapsody will be a film that goes down in history and so it should; it is a phenomenal cinematic experience
202 out of 259 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
This IS QUEEN!!
zoeemclean24 October 2018
Just watched "BoRhap" and I'm now an emotional wreck! Utterly brilliant, the cast were fantastic! I'm so blown away by Rami Malek as Freddie, plus Brian May too! Definitely Recommend 👌👌👌👌👌👌
250 out of 326 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
What movie did the critics see? Certainly not this one !
stacyhislop27 October 2018
I don't think I've ever been so excited to see a movie, EVER! As I'm sure many of you my age will say, I was brought up listening to Queen by my dad who was a huge fan. One of the only times I ever remember my dad crying was when Freddie died. That love for Queen has been passed on to my little boy, so off we went (a little disheartened, I might add, following the critic reviews) to watch the movie. Ten minutes in, my little boy turned to me and said , 'mum, I love this already' The film has you right from the get go! I honestly don't know what movie those critics saw, but it can't have been the same movie. At times I forgot I wasn't watching the real Queen. I laughed. I cried. I got goosebumps. I cried some more. I absolutely loved every minute of it. The cinema was packed out and as the credits drew, the audience clapped and cheered; something I have never experienced at a movie before. Do not be put off. Just go! If you have kids, take them too!
163 out of 212 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A biopic or more like bio-epic. And a fantastic one.
za_ne23 October 2018
What a night this was! I went to the world premiere in my local theatre with the purple carpet event on the big screen and all that jazz.

When I saw the first trailer I didn't think much about Rami Malek as Freddie or the whole movie at all since the majority of biopics are generic and pretty much formulaic. Back then, I even considered dropping Sacha Baron Cohen a huge mistake. But boy was I wrong. Malek shined like he's never shone before. I think Susie Figgis outdid herself as a casting director here.

Ever since I joined the casting industry, I really started seeing what it means to work here, how important this part of showbiz that is, and how just a single miscast can ruin a project. Susie Figgis is a veteran casting director, known for many big and widely loved projects and she did well here. She did extremely well. Up until the moment I joined this business, I paid little to no attention to the actor ensemble, with the exception of clear miscasts that just stood out and you couldn't unsee it. But yesterday I just sat there, mesmerized. Gwilym Lee did an outstanding job portraying Brian May, in fact, I forgot he wasn't him. Lucy Boynton was one of my absolute favorites, portraying Mary Austin and her love and devotion towards Freddie. And Rami Malek. Oh, boy, Rami *was* Freddie Mercury. While I was sitting there in the theatre and staring at the screen I didn't have a feeling I was watching actors play their parts. I felt like I was watching Queen.

I don't have much to say about the plot, or the costumes, the setting, the cast. Everything was close to perfection. A perfect balance of drama and comedy. Exactly how life is.

I was five when my dad came to me, kneeled, put his large and on my tiny shoulder and delivered the tragic news about Freddie passing. Queen was basically the soundtrack of my upbringing, so I didn't take the news too well. I wept like I've just lost a dear friend. Dad and I spent the remainder of that afternoon blasting the tracks we oh so loved.

Queen has been the soundtrack of my life, therefore it's impossible to have an unbiased opinion about 'Rhapsody', but I must admit I had my reservations at first. But in the end, I loved it. The last twenty minutes of the film I spend sobbing and wiping the tears and mascara tracks from my cheeks. I can't remember the last time I cried this much in a movie. And I don't know if it was the music, Freddie's tragic fate or the relationships he had, both with lovers and his family, or maybe it was an amalgam of everything, but from the first minutes the movie started building up, it rose block by block until the huge skyscraper that the story was, finally concluded and all the lights turned on and it shined like a marvelous gem.

Until this day, Live Aid remains the biggest, most epic music event in the history of civilization and it is remembered by millions. And _Bohemian Rhapsody_ did it justice. Malek did justice to Freddie. And I left my seat long after the credits had stopped rolling. The show must go on, and it does.
187 out of 251 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A celebration not an expose
ashwetherall11 November 2018
After listening to the reviews calling Bohemian Rhapsody a bog standard bio I think it's time for me to put my two cents in to the ring.

Personally I must have been watching another movie. Or is that I just understood what the makers of Bohemian Rhapsody were trying to achieve.

Actually let's start with just that.

Bohemian Rhapsody is a tribute to the legacy of Freddie Mercury and also the band Queen. It was primarily made for the fans of the the band and to showcase the band and its history to a new audience.

To do this the film primarily uses a straight forward story telling style. This also means that events and time lines have to be condensed and fictionalised to tell that story in just over 2 hours. This also means that many real characters have to amalgamate in to a couple of fictional personas. I personally had no problem with this. I also liked the fact that the film poked fun at future events using also comic casting. Those who have seen the movie will know what I'm talking about. It seems to me that the critics wanted something that real Queen Fans have no real time for, namely a movie that explores Freddie's wild private life. We know what he did. We know a lot about his wild side. But Queen Fans want a film about the most important elements of Freddie's life. Namely the band and its music.

Bohemian Rhapsody does something better.

Instead of showing a debauched indulgent life, Bohemian Rhapsody instead shows us a man trying to come to terms with his extraordinary life. It shows how with the help of the truly talented other members of Queen he was able to do that. It also shows his Joy, his loneliness, plus some of his mistakes and missteps along the way, and of course his complex relationship with Mary Astor possibly the one person he truly loved.

It tackles his sexuality and some of the aftermath of his partying. It also shows the beginning of his illness. This is all achieved with sensitivity and respect.

Now for the music.

Bohemian Rhapsody is possibly at its greatest when recreating queen on stage. Using a mixture of real singing from the actors, Queen and Freddie's over dubbing and sound alike artists to create a totally unique feel to Queens songs. Recreations of the bands greatest hits are mixed, to sound fresher than ever. Some even help the movie to move along showing headlines and critic's reviews as the songs play out. Then there's The Live Aid performance. Much like the real concert it almost dwarfs everything that has gone before on film. We the audience really get to experience what it was like to be at that event. Not just from the crowd but from the bands point of view. Almost every highlight from that performance is featured.

The performances.

Everyone agrees Rami Malek is a revelation as Freddie after about 20 minutes you totally forget that this is an actor. He is Freddie. This can also be said for Gwilym Lee, Ben Hardy and Joseph Mazzello playing The rest of the band in fact in the case of Lee the transformation into Brian May is astounding. As the film primary focuses on Freddie you can feel a sorry that aspects of the other members of the band aren't fully explored. Rogers womanising is hinted at but Brian's private life and his relationship with his father are not. John Deacon remains the enigma of the band. Lucy Boynton gives a carefully measured and sensitive performance as Mary Astor coming to terms with the changes in Freddie's life. Unfortunately Allen Leech has the unenviable task of playing a composites of some of Freddie's lovers and can be seen as a bit of a cliche villain. But he gives a good account of himself. As for the rest of the cast. Everyone else is solid.

The film begins with Live Ad and ends on that same day.

If you're a fan of Queen I defy you to leave your seat as the credits role.. To Sum up. Bohemian Rhapsody is a celebration, not an expose and it should be treated that way by those pay their money to see it.. The Critics obviously didn't get it.
105 out of 141 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Queen fans will love it, movie fans will love it too.
mrdean7824 October 2018
Wow. What a brilliantly made film. Brian Singer (The Usual Suspects, X-Men) has walked a sublime tightrope of a wonderful engaging, funny and emotional film without turning it into a turgid Hollywood smarm fest. Rami Malek is of course the star and his performance as Freddie is uncanny. Most of the vocals were Freddies originals but he does attempt some of his own,with commendable success, and you quickly forget it's not actually Mr Mercury himself. Unlike some biopics the music itself does by no means fall by the wayside and there is a multitude of Queen classics crammed into the just over 2 hours running time. And with Roger Taylor and Brian May as the executive music producers for the film expect nothing less. I was pleasantly surprised as to how much of the movie was dedicated to the music and if I wasn't in a cinema I would have spent half the time air guitaring and singing at the top of my voice. Of course we have a lot of the film dedicated to Freddie and his declining social life, behavior and ultimately health, and this is handled with so much respect and emotion that at no point does it seem forced or uncomfortable. The film follows a classic rise, fall and rise again formula culminating in a final fist pumping, rousing half hour which sees the band bust out (what some say is) the greatest live performance of all time as they re-emerge for Wembleys Live-aid concert. Realistically the film won't go down as an all time classic and may not be up for any Oscars (except for Maleks performance maybe) but what we do get is a barnstorming, foot-tapping, heart pumping movie which for me is without a doubt one of the greatest Music biopics ever made. Go see it.
141 out of 193 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Never heard a cinema audience give a round of applause
me-8135024 October 2018
Ok it's the opening day, the cinema is packed, probably 90% Queen fans. The fans ranged from a young girl of about 10 to old gits like me.

Demi Malek is awesome throughout. He obviously worked so hard to not just look but to sound and act like Freddie. Then again they all did.

There have been some negative "professional" reviewer comments and I did read them and I really couldn't work out what they wanted - perhaps a mix of Philadelphia Story and Mama Mia.

The complex relationship between Freddie and Mary Austin as well as Paul Prenterband finally Jim Hutton was explored and dealt with appropriate sensitivity.

Personally I felt it was short and would have loved to peek more behind the curtain to understand where the music that shaped my adolescence came from.

If you've never seen it go to YouTube and watch the Queen performance at Live Aid. The reaction of the crowd wasn't overplayed it was if anything understated

By the way Bryan Singer is credited as Director but he left and Dexter Fletcher stood in and made a pretty good job

Want to see it again
145 out of 202 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Rami Malek as Freddie Mercury is worthy of an Oscar
avinashmeetoo10 November 2018
Just watched Bohemian Rhapsody with my wife, my 16-yo daughter and 14-yo son. It's quite simply one of the best movies we've ever seen. Rami Malek's performance as Freddie Mercury is phenomenal and worthy of an Oscar. The other actors are great too. The music is naturally magnificent. We're talking of Queen after all... We rated Bohemian Rhapsody 10/10.
37 out of 47 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
All I wanted it to be
aaronlwevans23 October 2018
Impossible Not to get swept up in, almost as difficult to stop yourself sing along to, Huge performance from Rami Malek, As moving as it can be funny. A triumph, defiantly a fitting love song to Freddie and Queen.
134 out of 190 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Friends will be friends right till the end 11/10
Padreviews25 October 2018
Love of my life

11/10 in short this film is SUPERB

Now I've got that out of the way - the theme is love

Love of a friends , love of a man for a woman and man for man, love of a family ,love of work colleagues , love and adoration and the search of love for oneself

Be prepared it's an emotional roller coaster - it's a film of dreams hopes and aspirations and the ups and downs all of that encompasses . It's a film about trust and deceit . It's about a maverick and it is about Mavericks that make them unique.

This couldn't have been done any better , I personally hate films longer than 100 minutes but after 137 minutes I waited till the end of the credits and wanted an encore !

I think the success of this film will see a raft of musical biopics - Rocketman about Elton John comes out next year , and I'm sure someone will make one about George Michael , Prince , David Bowie , Michael Jackson , Marc Bolan the list is long ... and I could even see a remake of Pink Floyd the wall with a story and dialogue in there rather than relying on the music and animation of the 1982 version .

You probably know the story and you know the end but it handles the life of Freddie Mercury and Queen from their beginning in 1970 till the highlight of Live Aid in 1985 and fifteen year period of rise and fall and return to superstardom - I want it all and I want it now .

RIP Freddie 1991 - you were so loved , you are still loved

Dedicated to Mary Austin the love of his life

The show must go on.

Pad.A 11/10 ( in the rock tradition of spinal tap level 10)
114 out of 161 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.