The Trouble with the Truth (2011) Poster

A divorced couple meet for dinner.
abcarterprof225 July 2012
I agree with the review posted earlier; this is one of the best Indie films of the year.Lea Thompson and John Shea give excellent performances; you get the impression that you are sitting at the next table listening to their conversation. Part of this is due to the dialog and part because the director created a "natural" easy feeling to the film. The performers seem comfortable and I felt they had a genuine affection for each other. This is essential to the success of the film.

An outstanding screenplay, fine performances and a film that says something without being preachy. The Trouble With Truth is a carefully composed, intelligent and enjoyable film.
8 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
One of the best Indies of 2012!
Wickedwayoff31 May 2012
While attending the 2012 Sedona International Film Festival it was impossible to ignore the definite buzz in the air about Writer/ Director Jim Hemphill's new film The Trouble with the Truth, which proved to be a bona-fide crowd pleaser with this year's festival attendees. The film centers on divorced couple Robert (John Shea) and Emily (Lea Thompson), initially brought together to discuss their daughter's impending nuptials.

Throughout the course of one evening,(which includes dinner, desert and more than a few drinks), the former couple playfully revisit their differing ideas regarding love and career which, of course, eventually drives the conversation to the inevitable excavation of their failed marriage. By evening's end their impromptu reunion will lead to a few surprises, a few confessions and, yes, even a few tears.

Given the film is basically a continuing conversation, with limited locations and lots of over the shoulder shots, obvious comparisons have been made to that other flick involving a dining duo, "My Dinner with Andre", but where that classic film deals in matters mostly cerebral, Hemphill's sharp and funny screenplay is all heart and, as a result, is a much warmer, intimate and personal film. If "…Andre" is a "thinking" person's movie, The Trouble with the Truth is for the "feeling", and proves to be an honest and thought provoking debate between the heart and the head.

When you've got a film that involves a lot more talk than action, casting is a make or break proposition, first and foremost, we have to like them, which I am happy to report we do, quite a bit.

We grow to like Robert quickly, due in large part to John Shea's handling of Hemphill's often blunt and hilarious dialog, the actor's years of experience on film, and more specifically the stage, serves him and the film quite well.

Lea Thompson as Emily, however, is the real surprise. The actresses' instant like-ability has been the cornerstone of her long and successful career for the last two decades, where the adjectives "cute" and "suburban" have been exhausted by writers with little imagination, but this time around Thompson is given an opportunity to play a modern woman who is perhaps a little deeper, a little more cultured and a lot more eloquent than we've seen from her previous roles and the result is nothing short of a revelation. Her performance is both funny and heartbreaking, (often simultaneously), and will stay with you long after the credits have rolled.

The many talents of relative newcomer Jim Hemphill are on full display with his brilliant, quotable dialog and thoughtful instincts.The premise alone in lesser hands might have easily degenerated into bad drama and worn out cliché's, but the Director/ Writer deftly avoids the obvious traps at all costs and delivers a smart, funny and engaging film.

The Trouble with the Truth is, by far and away, the best indie I've seen this year. I can only hope a distribution deal is coming soon so that you all will have the opportunity to enjoy this one for yourselves.
10 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
All Emotions On Display
Sean Galloway3 June 2012
A poignant human study handled honestly, showing all facets of emotions, "The Trouble with the Truth" shows us two people that we can see ourselves in, even the parts we may not want to admit to.

Jim Hemphill's script deftly guides us into a character study that at times is heart wrenching, funny, sad, desperate, hopeful, and in the end really gets us to care about these two people in a way that we care about good friends as they go through their up's and down's.

John Shea as Robert does a masterful job with a character that is easy to dislike at first. Opinionated and blunt at times but with a gift of words and charm he transform this bristly guy into someone with insecurities, doubts, and winds up with honor and hope that connects with the audience and shows us the bright side idealist that he was as a young man, truly in love.

Lea Thompson shows us the full range of emotions, her Emily is both lovely, desperate, yearning for the sparks of love in a life that is comfortable but unfulfilled. Her feelings for Robert, her ex-husband, is evident as the two talk. She is caring, funny, brutally honest about her current situation, cynical, sometimes dark and at the same time hopeful that it is not to late to make a change.

These two characters send us on a roller-coaster of emotions where we like them, dislike them, marvel at the honesty they share, and ultimately win us over with their humanity as each of us have experienced the emotions they bring to light. This is a can't miss movie that shows two actors at their best and a script that is powerful that will be with you long after the closing credits.
6 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
.. it got very close to be exceptional
bjarias21 July 2014
This was such a really good film for practically the entire ninety-something minutes.. and then they had to go and spoil it all with a boring, cop-out ending. The two terrific leads deserved sooo much better, as they worked their tails off during most all of the entire production. It's not unusual to see this sort of thing happen in poorer quality films, but when the standards were so high for the entire time in TTWTT, it just leaves you feeling somehow cheated coming away. Would have really looked forward to watching it again, might anyway, but in the back of my mind will not be able to get around the ultimate outcome (or lack thereof).
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Wonderful
zee6 December 2016
I love this little film.

It felt like a play in an intimate theater--two actors, a few bit parts, and locations that could have fit on one stage. This could not possibly work in a film except for two things: the amazing, witty, smart, true dialogue; and two astonishing performances.

There are a few films that capture the middle-aged heart well, and this is one of them. With all of our clearer hindsight, regrets, what may have beens, the specter of death ahead, and wondering what this one life really adds up to. For thinking people, these sorts of questions haunt us. And here – with wit and honesty - we see two believable, flawed, appealing characters ask each other the important questions.

The ending is good, for you leave the film wanting to ask if he made the right decision. Sometimes, the questions are more important than the answers.

And, a bit of petty praise, that was one heck of a lot of dialogue to memorize.
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this