21 & Over (2013) Poster

(2013)

A much watered down, less college version of the Hangover
shabel-c2 March 2013
If the "The Hangover" and "Project X" were fused together to make one new film, the result would be "21 and Over." From the same writers of the Hangover, Jon Lucas and Scott Moore, "21 and Over" is a film that taps into the college demographic by concentrating on some of the issues that affect a lot of students throughout the United States — binge drinking, beer pong games, sex and parties.

This comedy follows three best friends who have fallen out of touch since graduating from high school and transitioning into college. They try to meet up on important occasions, in this case Jeff Chang's (Justin Chon) birthday.

Jeff Chang is finally turning 21 and with that age his best friends, Casey (Skylar Astin) and Miller (Miles Teller), believe comes a new stage in Chang's life; one filled with alcohol and girls.

Chang is a straight-A student who is preparing for an upcoming interview to gain admittance to medical school. In addition to his med school interview, Chang has to worry about his strict father who expects him to follow his family's legacy in becoming a doctor.

For his 21st birthday, Casey and Miller surprise him and take him on a night out. Chang agrees to go out on the condition that they only go for a few drinks and then return home.

They start the night off with a round of drinks, but soon enough begin club hopping, drinking alcohol everywhere they go. The night takes an unexpected turn when Jeff Chang becomes unresponsive after overdrinking.

Following the same formula used in "The Hangover," "21 and Over" attempts to win audiences over by using a lot of crude humor including many physical jokes.

Miles Teller (Miller) takes most of the spotlight with his straightforward dialogue and comedic timing. Justin Chon (Jeff Chang) further pushes the comedy bar with his use of physical humor. Skylar Astin (Casey) plays the typical preppy and awkward sidekick.

Even with a pleasant cast, the film fails to present anything original or creative. While it offers a few laughs, too many scenes are either lackluster, or exaggerated, and some of the humor is forced.

"The Hangover" was much more imaginative than "21 and Over," which has fewer plot twists and a rushed ending.

Even worse, the film reinforces all possible stereotypes including the smart Asian, the party alcoholic white male, crazy Latinas, and out of control college students.

The film is far from a masterpiece. However, if one day after a long day of class or work you simply want to have a few brainless laughs with friends, then "21 and Over" may be the movie for you.
36 out of 51 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Horrendously bad and unfunny
headly6612 June 2013
This is a movie you hate from the first minute on. The characters are unlikable and very forgettable, it has a feeling like it's trying to be important but comes off lame and there is very little comedy in this comedy.

Another teen party movie, although them being 21 and legal is supposed to be rebellious? The Asian kid has an important meeting the next day yet his dumb friends take him out drinking, and even when he is drunk they just keep going to bars and parties and dragging him around.

In an age of cell phones, the internet, GPS and every other form of communication they can't find someones address? The guy is awake several times yet they don't ask him his address, instead they compete in party games and drink a gallon of milk.

A seriously dumb movie.

Go watch Superbad again if you want a funny movie like this.
25 out of 36 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
It's Exactly What You Expect
Marter228 February 2013
"From the writers of 'The Hangover'" comes "21 and Over," another comedy about people getting really drunk and then having a bunch of crude and insane things happen to them. The difference here is that the three leads are not trying to find their buddy; they're instead trying to find their buddy's house. Oh, and the buddy whose house they're trying to find has passed out and has to be carried from place to place as the circumstances around them continue to get more dire.

Let's back up a bit. It's Jeff Chang's (Justin Chon) 21st birthday. He's a pre-med student who has a big interview the next morning. His best friends, Miller (Miles Teller) and Casey (Skylar Astin), have come to his apartment to surprise him and take him out for drinks, as is the American custom. Upon learning that the biggest interview of his life is the next day, Casey does the responsible thing and says that those plans can be postponed. Miller threatens to keep Jeff Chang up all night if he doesn't come out. "One drink," we're told. Like that's going to happen.

We don't even see Jeff Chang resist the party once it starts. He's loaded by the time we've zoomed forward in time, and only gets worse over the montage depicting the group's bar-hopping. Eventually, he's passed out and time is running out to get him home and to bed. The other two friends are from out of town -- they've all separated once college started, I guess -- so they don't know their way around. They spend nearly the rest of the film attempting to get him into bed before 7AM.

Doesn't this sound familiar? Three guys trolling around a certain location in hopes of finding something, or someone? While doing so, they find themselves in a bunch of "I can't believe it" situations, while also learning things about the others that perhaps should have been better left a secret. When Casey and Miller find a gun in Jeff Chang's pocket, and later learn that he was arrested by the police, we have a mystery on our hands. One whose conclusion is mishandled so badly that I thought there must have been an alternate ending.

It feels too similar, I suppose. We've seen movies that contain situations more shocking than this. When a guy gets run over by a buffalo -- which we don't actually get to see, by the way, because the camera cuts to black before impact -- that winds up being one of the more "crazy" points of the film. Sure, a couple of other moments are funny at the time, if only because at least one of the guys -- Casey -- doesn't seem like he deserved to be put through them, but they're kind of bland for the genre.

There are a few running gags scattered throughout -- always calling Jeff Chang by his full name being one of them -- but most of the humor in "21 and Over" comes from the situations themselves. That can work for some people. Many of you might find a lot of the film funny. It wasn't for me. Watching stupid people act pretty stupid and have bad things happen to them isn't the funniest thing in the world. Like I said, there are a few good moments, but not enough of them to fill the 90-minute running time.

Moving away from the amount of laughter, which is about all that matters in a comedy, the dialogue also leaves a lot to be desired. The film was written and directed by "The Hangover" writers, after all, so that should be expected. It's all profane and silly, and accomplishes one of two things: exposition or forced character development. The dialogue itself rarely attempts to make us laugh. That's a problem, since there's a good deal of time spent walking from place to place.

It says a lot about our main characters that they wind up being chased and/or hated by everyone they come into contact with. They wind up being hunted by at least three groups of people as the film progresses, all of whom show up seemingly at random. These groups are often forgotten about until the script calls for them to pop up for a few minutes. You forget, too, and it makes their reappearances seem to come out of the blue. Sure, the film is about these three guys -- although it's really two of them because Jeff Chang isn't awake for most of his screen time -- but if you want to continue bringing back these secondary characters, at least treat them with a little respect.

I'm sure that all of these actors have talent. Justin Chon turns in the best performance in the film whenever he's awake. Skylar Astin was in "Pitch Perfect" and fared much better there. He delivers every line with great sincerity, but that doesn't work with this type of character. Miles Teller was in "Project X," and plays the same type of role here. He isn't good in either.

"21 and Over" is pretty much the exact type of movie that you expect it to be. If you think "The Hangover" is funny, you'll probably find this movie hilarious as well. It has issues with its characters, dialogue and situations, but if you find it funny you probably won't notice. I didn't like "21 and Over," but if it sounds like your type of thing, you'll probably get some enjoyment out of it.
32 out of 48 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
"21 and Over" - OK Rating. A Hang Over+Jackass+American Pie Combo
Watched "21 and Over" last night at an advanced screening so sharing a review for those wondering about it.

If you should use other films/media to describe "21 and Over", it is like a combination of "Hang Over", "American Pie", and "Jackass". If describing in one sentence, "21 and Over" is stupid drunkenness or drunk galore? It is an enjoyable film and I would recommend it for those who enjoy dirty slapstick humor and just college craziness. I wouldn't feel the need to watch this film again and it isn't an Oscar nominee type of film, but If you like watching drunk people, this film is for you.

I admit, I like watching this type of films from time to time, but a big reason I was interested in this film was because I liked the writers' Jon Lucas and Scott Moore's other pieces, the popular "Hang Over" film series and "Change Up". I did assume that "21 and Over" would be structured and directed just like "Hang Over but "21 and Over" does not have the story-telling abilities that "Hang Over" has nor are the story, plot, resolution, and characters anywhere as interesting. One's own experiences and perspectives change with age, and Lucas and Moore are out of touch with the current 20s generation as the dialogue, story development, and characters in "21 and Over" are old, clichéd, and stereotypical.

The movie took a while to pick up the pace. Surprisingly and thankfully Jeff Chang is not the main focus in this film, nothing against the actors (these newcomers did a great job), but the supposed main character burned through his drinking and bar scenes early on in a series of montages.

Some of the likable aspects of this movie are the timing of the stunts and how outrageous the stunts are. When it seemed like the film would end soon or run out of tricks, the characters' rolling ball of chaos just got bigger and bigger. The stunts pulled now a day for slapstick humor are getting more outrageous and openly, visually sexual. If nothing, Lucas and Moore get kudos for fresh stunts. Perhaps they spent the time they were supposed to use for brainstorming dialogue and story development, watching "Jackass" instead.

In the end this film is still enjoyable because it's not like this film's audience watches these kinds of films for the dialogue nor accurate representation of cultural identities. All that matters is that the slapstick stunts and moderate dirtiness of the film is enough to not leave a silent house. For sure, the high school kids during the advanced screening got a kick out of it, hoping their college life can be that fun? Crazy at least.

Review by WendyXS@FeiXiangFilms
31 out of 49 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Pretty bad, average teen comedy.
Goran Peric6 August 2013
This movie is pretty bad, the story is quite bad as well. 3 friends get wasted, and then they do some crazy stuff, It's a bit overused. Also those racist jokes are so bad, especially with 2 Serbian thugs, classic propaganda about Serbians being terrorists mean and rude people. I rated it 3, It has funny moments, but it's like you read scenario and you know what will happen, it's too obvious. But then again, I guess if you are 15 years old you will find this movie very entertaining, If you are a bit older with some experience with parties drinking, you will face palm. I understand it's a movie but it's too American, parties getting wasted, and at the end you make everything right.
13 out of 18 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
An average comedy
Gordon-111 May 2013
This film is about the first 24 hours of a straight A student's 21st birthday.

"21 & Over" is a toned down college version of "The Hangover". The plot is very similar to "The Hangover", and it is wearing thin. Though the parties are ridiculous and the alcohol is plentiful, we all know what will happen and hence the plot does not have the same entertaining effect as the first time around. Fortunately, the subplot of testing the strained friendship and standing up for oneself is a bit refreshing, so "21 & Over" sets itself as slightly different from its parent clone. The Asian female student who swears a lot is the most memorable character, and she deserves a special mention. Her one minute of screen time is so unexpectedly crazy! "21 & Over" is an average comedy, if judged on its own merit. But please, enough with the "The Hangover" clones.
11 out of 15 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
God awful movie
movies08013 July 2013
The character of Miles is the most annoying person on the planet. Horribly acted by the actor who plays Jeff Chang. Nothing he says comes off as believable.

The dialogue between Sarah Wright and the other male lead is horribly written.

Not only is this movie not funny; it is a very predictable story line.

Caution! you will see two of the male leads make-out.

How people rate this movie above 5 is beyond me.

They joke about incest in the beginning of the movie also.

I would be embarrassed to even be associated with this movie. This is worst movie i've seen in a while.
9 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Retraces familiar material with disappointing results.
"21 and Over" could celebrate that miraculous moment when the final barrier to adulthood falls by the wayside, as the act of legally buying alcohol instantly goes from forbidden act to routine. However, the movie just uses the moment as a springboard to a cynical college-age "Hangover" redo with far fewer developed characters and even less inventive adventures. This is the directorial debut of Jon Lucas and Scott Moore, who wrote "The Hangover (2009)." "21 & Over" pretends to take chances even as it retraces the same sequences we've already seen in movies like--well--"The Hangover." It's hard to completely hate "21 & Over," but you cannot really laugh at it either. The most you can do is just pity it for not being as outrageous as it thinks it is.
19 out of 31 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Doesn't pretend to be anything other than a dumb comedy
rebecca-ry14 May 2013
'21 & over' is the latest buddy comedy inspired by 'The Hangover.' It has a similar story to 'The Hangover' except the drinking rampage is the story rather than the morning after.

This film was surprisingly good! I think the last film I saw was 'Movie 43' and that made me lose faith in laughter and happiness… Anyway, '21 & over' certainly isn't the funniest comedy ever but there are a decent amount of laughs and cringe moments. Of course, towards the end the story does go totally over the top. This is a modern classic aspect of American comedies these days so I guess it is just something we will have to get used to. Thankfully, it doesn't really send the film into a downward spiral as it is still redeemable.

The characters in this film are all pretty funny in their own way and the characters you are supposed to like are genuinely likable. The story deals with a lot of important issues in a bizarrely light-hearted manner which is quite odd. A lot of the supporting characters are really funny so you're glad to see them each time they pop up throughout the film. I anticipated a lot of rubbish, cheap racist Asian jokes to be dotted all over the script but only a few did and they were from a character that seemed like the kind of person who would say those kinds of jokes. This was quite relieving, the film did its best to make jokes and references that people of a similar age would recognise and find funny.

Overall, this film is nonsense but the people who created it know this and don't try to pretend it's anything else. This is a good film to watch with your friends and I imagine, once it is released on DVD, will be a popular film for drinking games. Beer Pong anyone?
10 out of 16 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Oh dear
Tim Little24 May 2015
Ironic that, although this piece of American college dross is titled 21 & Over, it's hard to imagine that it would appeal to anyone over the age of fifteen.

The plot, such as it is, has already been covered. To flatter it with a further description would be giving it credit that it doesn't deserve.

In my opinion (and I admit that I am way out of its' targetted age range) it is humourless, devoid of any charm and it's hard to imagine that it earned enough to pay for its making.

This genre of movie, if it still has a future, can be done so much better. The comparisons with The Hangover are obvious and an indication of how tight direction, a genuinely funny script and talented performers can make all the difference. This offering has none of those.

There are capable actors in the cast and they deserve better but may struggle to maintain any credibility for a while with this on their CV.
4 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Fun movie despite itself
Roland E. Zwick18 September 2013
"21 and Over" is like a 21st Century version of "Animal House" and "Porky's" - only this one comes with a bit of a social conscience, as befits the times we live in.

Miles Teller, Skylar Astin. and Justin Chon play buddies from childhood, now ending their time in college, who reunite to celebrate the 21st birthday of one of them, Jeff Chang (Chon). Astin's Casey is the stuffed shirt who's already on the fast track to a career on Wall Street after he graduates; Chon's Jeff is the stressed-out A-student whose dad is pressuring him to ace a med school interview the next day; and Teller's Miller is the Stiffler-type wise-ass who refuses to grow up, convinced that the only life worth living is one patterned after the "American Pie" movies.

Against their better judgment, Astin and Teller- take Chon out for a celebratory bender, resulting in what anyone with any knowledge of how these things customarily work out in the movies can plainly predict. Yet, beyond all the drinking, brawling, sex rituals and generalized pandemonium, "21 and Over" actually has some poignant things to say about friendship and finding that fine line between becoming a mature adult and selling out to a life devoid of fun and joy. Luckily, the screenplay by Jon Lucas and Scott Moore (who also directed the film together) doesn't overdo it in the moralizing department, neatly balancing the insights with a steady stream of ultra-crass frat-boy hijinks. The movie even has some fun skewering the misogyny and sexual double standards that prevail among some of the male youth of today.

The movie is helped immeasurably by the performers who bring both humor and heart to the proceedings. They make the nonsense not only bearable but actually quite enjoyable at times.
4 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
21 and Over. What a poor, poor movie.
SnoosReviews14 June 2013
We originally went to the cinema to watch Star Trek or Iron man 3. However as I sat in the pub with my friend before hand we decided we fancied another pint, however we didn't have time if we were to see Star Trek or Iron Man. I then made the horrific decision to check my iPhone and saw that 21 and over was on an hour later than those two films. Great, time for another beer.

I was aware that this film looked quite poor from the trailer and copious amounts of bad reviews, however, as i walked into the cinema, merry after a few beers i thought it may be a nice easy watching movie with a few cheap laughs. I was wrong.

This film is poor. Very poor.

It is a very familiar concept, a guy has the biggest exam of his life and his friends decide to try and persuade him to go out the night before and get completely wrecked. Of course he refuses at first and then of course he gives in.

The acting is poor, the script is awful and the characters are awful. None of them are funny or even slightly likable. The over the top scenes which are trying so hard to be funny, fail on so many levels. A pathetic, cringe worthy love story is also thrown into the middle of this movie which is just down right ridiculous.

I don't know what else to say really, apart from, don't go and see this movie.
23 out of 46 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
21 & Over is the Wedding Crashers of 2013...and thats a GREAT Thing
lucasnochez6 March 2013
In the United States, when a person turns 21, that time is usually land marked with instances filled with excitement thanks to the upcoming adventures of maturing, independence, self- discovery and of course…you know what, all crap aside, its the day to just get stupid drunk and act a fool like its nobody's business.

Like anybody planning to sleep in a catharsis of vomit and food consumed from the afternoon, 21 & Over is a raunchy, absurd, highly energetic and overly confident comedy that unapologetically assaults its audience members with inappropriateness from beginning to end.

On the day of Jeff Chang's (Justin Chon) 21st birthday, his old friends Casey (Skylar Astin) and Miller (Miles Teller) show up to his residence on campus. Adamant to get him drunk despite a very important medical meeting the next morning that Dr. Chang (François Chau) had arranged, Casey and Miller convince Jeff Chang to go out and party. What starts off with just a few drinks and a bit of misdirection turns out to be a rip-roaring journey into the dark corners of Jeff Chang's college campus.

Where 21 & Over succeeds and other movies like it fail is in the underlying themes and chemistry. In so many coming of age stories, most notably Project X last year, the friendships that were tested were not tested on the basis of any change. Oh sure, a house was destroyed and a neighbourhood was in complete chaos, but what did it matter to the protagonists? In 21 & Over, each one of the three friends are facing the biggest issues of their lives, growing up. Often longer for some people, sometimes a lot quicker and at times unknowingly to others, the theme of growing up is the quintessential magic formula for coming of age romp-comedies. Just look at one of the best comedies of the last decade Wedding Crashers and how that theme was explored with over-sized children as adults.

The chemistry in 21 & Over is spot-on. Miles Teller is reminiscent of a young Vince Vaughan and his wildly fast-talking antics drives most of the ridiculous comedy forward with ease. Skylar Astin much like his previous role in Pitch Perfect, serves as a worthy counterpart to Teller and the eye candy for female audience members to flock to theatres.

If there is one thing that makes me mad about 21 & Over and the previous writing efforts of the comedic writing duo Jon Lucas and Scott Moore is how simple their script ideas are yet how well done their narratives and plot points are. Penning the first two Hangover films, it angers me to think how simple the premise for all their hits were and why I couldn't think of it myself. It seems like the writing duo have a knack for exploiting the obvious yet unexplored on film, adding a lot of fun in the mix.

21 & Over is an outrageously fun time at the movies. Although the film may not be for everyone, 21 & Over is a flashback of so many times when the images on screen are so reminiscent of some of the stupid things that may have happened to you, at one point or another. Don't deny it, just laugh and enjoy the ride. Just like what Jeff Chang's yells at the bouncer before getting in, "21…blackjack motherf@&$er!". Its not denying that 21 & Over is definitely a sloppy winner!
17 out of 33 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Not worth the time
sunfranklin15 March 2013
I am a huge fan of movies and am always willing to give them a chance. Even if they receive bad ratings, I will usually wait until after I watch them to make my own decisions.

This movie may have been one of the worst movies I've seen this year. I absolutely loved the Hangover and thought Hangover 2 was decently funny. This movie made me laugh maybe twice. It is as raunchy as the Hangover I and II, but it lacks wit. It makes lame attempts at jokes, which are often just racial slapstick. Honestly, when the movie ended I was glad.

The only good thing I got out of this movie was a new idea for a fraternity party called tower of power.

Save your time and your money. This movie gave me a headache and was no fun to watch.
13 out of 25 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Exactly what you expect
Jess Pagan11 May 2013
OK, so before you go out to watch this film, judging by the trailers, what do you expect? An over-the-top drunken night with irresponsible friends who are going through a stage in their life where they will change from being who they used to be when they met, resisting this change that they know is inevitable, where the night gets out of hand, and all the while one of them has a curfew.

Yeah, that's basically the film. But there's also more funny one-liners than you expected, there's a bit more depth in the characters that you expected, and you enjoy it more than you expected. It's definitely a film to go watch if you loved the hangover.
3 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Yet another what happened when we got drunk movie
kennethrstruck4 March 2013
Although these types of we got drunk now we need to figure out what happened movies are entertaining there really needs to be a limit on how many can be released back to back. With The Hangover I, II, III and so on we really need to limit this type of movie so that they become more enjoyable rather then, "Oh I have seen this before" reactions. The only saving grace that kept me interested was the three best friends that lost track of their friendship story wrapped up in a drunk 21'st birthday story. P.S. need's more tits, I think there were only three pairs in the whole thing...

Please! Oh, Please enforce a 9-12 month "Blackout" between drunk movies!!!
4 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Teller is the sole reason why should maybe deposit your money for this one!
meeza11 May 2013
I can probably give you over 21 reasons why the comedy "21 & Over" is a grotesque, unauthentic movie that you should stay away from. But that would mean this would have to be an extended movie review which would increase the chances of not being read thoroughly by you. The film stars Miles Teller as Miller, a slacker-type college dropout who most probably spent too much of his Miller time partying and not concentrating on his studies. Skylar Astin co-stars as Casey, Miller's preppy high school best buddy who reunites with Miller so they could take out their other high school compadre Jeff Chang (played by Justin Chon) for a liquorish, hard-partying night on the town to celebrate his liquor legalization into the world; in other words to celebrate his 21st birthday. So as Wang Chang, I mean Chung sings about, they want for "everybody to have fun tonight". Jeff Chang (as Miller and Casey call him, instead of the good ol' calling someone by their first name) is in a predicament because the next morning he is scheduled for a very important interview for a pre-med medical employment position set up by his imposing, pressuring dad Dr. Chang. When the night on the town becomes a wild partying romp which causes Jeff Chang to be heavily liquored up, it is up to Miller & Casey to take him back home before Dr. Chang finds out about his son's fiesta time. The big predicament is that Miller & Casey are not aware of Jeff Chang's address so they go on this wild goose chase to locate a gorgeous sorority female friend of Chang named Nicole in order to obtain his address, and also Casey has his own personal reasons to chase down the hottie Nicole. Are you still with me? Anyways, Jon Lucas & Scott Moore who both wrote and directed (it really took two people to develop this crap) "21 & Over" have developed an unoriginal, lame movie which has the same formulaic features as most of the teen partying movies in the past. So just because it's "21 and Over" it does not mean it gives it a legalization credence. While he was handed a farcical screenplay, I must say what saved this film from ultimate disaster was the fast-talking charismatic performance of Miles Teller. However, I cannot say the same for the robotic acting effort of Skylar Astin as Casey, and the over-the-top work of Justin Chon as Jeff Chang (try to say that 20 times without stuttering). Even though it was healthy for the eyes to look at, Sarah Wright's performance as Nicole was lifeless and stereotypical in this type of genre. Lucas & Moore's screenplay was so awful that I think someone 12 & Under could have written up a better scribe of "21 & Over". Teller's performance is the sole reason I would even consider a marginal recommendation of this movie, but even that is not enough to card you at the door to enter the silly world of "21 & Over". *** Average
7 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Continues to show the American youth at their worst
Steve Pulaski2 March 2013
If you've seen the trailer for 21 and Over, there's no reason you should be surprised at its content. It's a juvenile, tasteless retread through the gutter of party movies, explicit in language, redundant in debauchery, and forgettable almost entirely. Contrary to those who believe I went in with the preconceived mindset to dislike this film, I was quite optimistic; the trailer got one laugh out of me. It was tied with last year's romp Project X for the number of laughs it generated.

Seeing as I laughed once in the trailer and once in the actual film, this technically makes 21 and Over a funnier film than Project X, although that's not saying too much. It continues to accentuate every loathsome quality of the youth in America for us to laugh at and for other countries to sneer at. For those who can't see why I'd dislike a film like this, it's the aftertaste I get with these films that really sits uncomfortably with me. To think how people in other countries see the twentysomethings of America after these films really makes me upset.

Our story immediately breeds contempt with his familiarity; two collegian friends named Miller (Miles Teller) and Casey (Skylar Astin) decide to pick up their friend Jeff Chang (Justin Chon) to party on his twenty-first birthday. Jeff Chang (who is always referred to by his full name for whatever reason) has an important medical interview the following day, and tells his friends that he can't party, but they don't listen and force him to live up his birthday with them. When Jeff Chang gets so drunk and incoherent that he can't stand up straight, Miller and Casey carry him around town, haplessly, Weekend at Bernie's-style, searching for his house in order to get him ready for his interview in a few hours.

Watching these nitwits wander around town, in search of their pals home, while dragging him on his feet, carrying him like an infant, or tossing him in the back of a golf-cart as they go down the stairs is not one of the definitions of comedy for me. If it's yours, embrace it, because this is the kind of humor you're in for. It wasn't long ago that I saw Seth Gordon's Identity Thief, a mostly mediocre film that predicated itself off of tired formula and worn jokes. it functioned in the genre of comedies that I label "maximum antics, minimum laughter," which the same can be said for 21 and Over, but at least Identity Thief was buoyed by charismatic leads. Sure they were subjected to pretty trite material, but they weren't as bland and faceless as the teens in this film. Aside from Justin Chon, who seems like an actor that can be capable in a role if he wasn't playing dead for two-thirds of the movie, no one seems to truly be inspired by this material.

But, again, how could they? This kind of script leaves almost nothing notable in terms of influence, subject, characters, or events. It's the kind of film young actors use as their breakout role. If there's any positivity in this film, it's that, hopefully, the young stars here are welcomed to more efficient projects that do not capitalize off of senseless debauchery.

Finally, do I need to make note of how degrading this film is to both sexes? It's not as hopelessly nihilistic as Project X, per say, but it's definitely not as spirited as one would hope. The men are chauvinistic, self-centered dogs, motivated by sex, popularity, and hormonal lust, while the women are no better than the size of their breasts and buttocks. What a shock.

The writing/directing team behind the 2009 comedy success The Hangover have gone on to make a film that simply feels gridlocked in its unambitious nature. It contains roughly two healthy laughs in its ninety-three minute runtime, features forgettable instances of brutality and disregard for safety, shows how manipulating and careless seemingly "best friends" can be with each other, and further throws its fun down the drain in favor of having a "money" mindset. If there's one positive to come out of all of this, it will give me time to reflect on my choice of friends in the future.

My video review of 21 and Over, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63C8Aubcv8c

Starring: Miles Teller, Skylar Astin, Justin Chon, and Sarah Wright. Directed by: Jon Lucas and Scott Moore.
12 out of 26 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Awful experience
ciprian-mocanu1328 April 2013
An awful experience about some guys who get drunk. Nothing funny, nothing interesting. No plot, no story .... just some kids who are drinking from one bar to another. What is the big deal about it .... Only the directors are winning on this movie using their fame for Hangover. I think that is time for the creators of Hangover to come with something new ... An awful experience about some guys who get drunk. Nothing funny, nothing interesting. No plot, no story .... just some kids who are drinking from one bar to another. What is the big deal about it .... Only the directors are winning on this movie using their fame for Hangover. I think that is time for the creators of Hangover to come with something new ...
6 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Hangover w/ a younger cast
Geo Thompson8 February 2013
Saw a special screening of this yesterday and thought to myself "This is a juvenile version of the Hangover" only to realize it was from the makers of the Hangover. I particularly enjoyed this movie because there was some serious moments which I thought brought a sense of balance, but of course there was a happy ending. "21 and Over" sort of has the same qualities as "The Hangover", but differs in age and plot. Also, like "The Hangover", the cast was primarily Caucasian which to me seems unrealistic, but it's just a movie at the end of the day.

You will instantly laugh as soon as the movie starts and won't stop until the end. If you loved the hangover you should definitely see "21 and Over"
21 out of 53 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
21 and over Review
damian_hockey7 June 2013
In all honesty i was looking forward to this film, After the trailer showed us a rip roaring comedy with plenty of that silly teenage comedy we have all came to know and love The part of this trailer states from the people who brought you The Hangover, (Must of been the script writer) as this film shows every sign of a Hangover film, with all its twists and turns and 3 friends who really don't have a clue where their night will take them Does this mean i like the movie NO! Don't kid yourself, This film has very rare laughs, and by rare i mean every once in a while you will give in to you're childishness and laugh at a moment you would not generally choose to laugh at, From the cheesy teenage hijinks production of seen it all before and far better done, to the oh they really went there I could forgive this film a lot more if it wasn't for the huge gaping plot holes in the film that make the entire movie obsolete from the get go Non of the characters are very likable, (even the one you're meant to like is unlikeable) Maybe I'm just picking at a movie which just either was not my humor (Although the hangover and American pie are my favorite comedy's) or just a film which tried to hard to be the film people we're expecting I personally give this film a 4 out of 10 Be the judge yourself
7 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Walked out halfway through
brownnikki131 March 2013
For the record, The Hangover is one of my favourite comedies, and I walked out halfway through 21 and Over. The movie is full of jokes and gags that we've all seen before. The basic premise is simple: three college students go out for their friend's 21st birthday, and - shocker- the friend has to be back at his house for a med interview early the next morning. When he gets too drunk to find his house, the hilarity ensues (I wish). This movie could have been good, and I'm not expecting Oscar-worthy here, but instead it was a re-hash of movies we've all seen before. Now, I should also say that I didn't like Project X. However, since the writers from The Hangover were responsible for this movie I thought it would be a fun one to see. Afraid not. At least it was free. My recommendation? If you liked The Hangover, proceed with caution.
10 out of 23 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Possibly one of the worst films of its genre - and generation
gregeichelberger5 March 2013
After enduring a series of movies over the past two months so bad that the word "bad" is woefully inadequate, I thought I might have reached the nadir with such titles as "Playing For Keeps," "The Last Stand," "A Good Day to Die Hard," "Hansel & Gretel: Witch Hunters," "Identity Thief," "Parental Guidance," and other works of low quality — that is until I was forced to view the latest comedic travesty that is "21 and Over."

And since this forum will not allow a grade lower than one star, I am reluctantly unable to award it the -10 it more than justly deserves.

Relativity Media's attempt to make a juvenile "The Hangover" meets "Animal House" meets "Revenge of the Nerds" succeeds only in the juvenile part and co-directors (and scribblers) Jon Lucas and Scott Moore ("The Change-Up") seemed to have thrown any attempt at humor out the window, replacing that emotion with senseless drug and alcohol abuse, mind-numbing violence, racism, nauseating nudity, misogyny and unabashed stupidity. In fact, this was the first movie since 2009's "Observe and Report" to actually make this critic physically ill.

I'm not sure if the upset stomach was because I was already a tad woozy from the flu, but the splitting headache was no doubt caused by this production which stars absolutely no one and elicits no laughs whatsoever - unless one finds things like projectile vomiting, urinating on people, being drunk and stoned to the point of annoyance, being spanked with a cricket bat, automobile accidents, people being thrown from balconies and beaten senseless, animal abuse, making fun of the mentally ill, parental violence and, probably worst of all, a throbbing and brain tumor-inducing rap soundtrack that pulsates ceaselessly throughout this unmitigated disaster - a fun time.

And while I knew I wasn't going to see Shakespeare with this picture, it doesn't mean I wanted to see a pile of crap, either. In fact, "21 and Over" was obviously made for individuals with mental ages of 10 and under.

I suppose some explanation of the pointless plot is in order, so here goes: Viewers are first greeted with a shot of two naked guys and their red and beaten butts — and things go downhill from there.

We then see longtime buddies Miller (Miles Teller, "Project X," another vivid example of how today's youth and unlimited partying definitely does not go together) and Casey (Skylar Astin, "Pitch Perfect") travel to an anonymous college town to visit a third chum, the super brainiac, Jeff Chang (Justin Chon, "Twilight") to help him celebrate his 21st birthday. It's too bad they showed up, though, because Chang has a very important interview with a big-time medical school the next day.

Throwing caution — and intelligence — to the wind, Chang decides to have just "one beer," but of course, we know the night will escalate into a series of wild debauchery, frat parties, pep rallies (which seem to go on all night) and breaking into a Latina sorority (for no other reason than to add female exploitation and objectification to the mix), all of which leads to arrests, incarcerations and suicide holds. And the laughs keep coming, friends.

Even the inclusion of a tepid romantic triangle between Casey, Nicole (Sarah Wright, "Celeste and Jesse Forever") and her cheerleader boyfriend, Randy (Jonathan Keltz, "Prom") brings nothing but cringes to the table. As does the phony "friends falling out, but coming back together" routine.

Then, after all of the completely lame attempts to squeeze any kind of laugh from this effort, we're supposed to care when the movie decides — at the last minute — to send us some kind of message. It's way too late and I am far too ticked off to care at this point.

If "21 and Over" is ANY kind of example of how today's American youth gets its jollies, I am perfectly content to either move to a Third World country or to just live in the past.

Either choice is better than this monstrosity.
6 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Strong comedy laugh very much a must
Florian Draxler2 August 2013
I already almost did not see because he had gotten such a bad review then decided Fortunately for the film.

To the film are very good actors you knew what you were doing well have taken over the emotions.

However, the intro was too short for me from a little more history to make it tiling in the main part. There was also something about the history restrained one of the main actor brought in with a touch of drama. However, when the first few minutes had passed, I found it really entertaining scenes good laugh a highly enjoyable for all with a sense of humor and a little gloating;)

I absolutely recommend him to go further I wish you a pleasant cinema.
5 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Who needs government-backed student loans . . .
Hot 888 Mama8 March 2013
. . . when the main skills taught in college are beer pong and face-painting, according to each spring's spate of movies featuring 30-somethings playing 17-23-year-olds? 21 & OVER desperately aims to set the bar a little lower than last spring's already forgotten campus fare, saving its stretched-wienie money shot till almost the very end. The gist of this flick is that all the three high school friends in the story really aspire to is to obtain safely undemanding positions as gas station\convenience store clerks. (Perhaps this is one step up from the films a decade ago, when most kids in this age group just wanted to run the cash registers at video stores, as overseeing volatile gasoline pumps shows a lot more responsibility on a resume than renting out copies of SAW and DUNE.) Nowadays, the real go-getter kids snag one of these prized positions straight out of high school, while the more wishy-washy types play around with ten or twenty thou- of their parents' dough along with another 60 to 80K taxpayers are on the hook for to reach the same final destination. 21 & OVER does an excellent job of documenting this public policy problem, with a few jokes thrown in along the way.
5 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this