The Legend of Korra (TV Series 2012–2014) Poster

(2012–2014)

My early 2c: A more energetic and fast-paced sequel
charsobees22 April 2012
The Avatar is back and this time she is a teenager who is far from calm and peaceful.

Compared to Avatar: The Legend of Aang, this sequel has its own appeal: it's really energetic, featuring mostly city environments, has an older cast than the one in Aang, and just has an overall faster, flashier and more forceful pace than its predecessor. That makes it a lot of fun, and a very exciting show, but at times it also makes it hard for me to warm up to the cast, and hard to just take a moment of contemplation, peace, and relaxation like I would with The Last Airbender.

Visually, like "Aang", this show is stunning. Beautiful, intricate and unique environments, with lots of fluid and well-crafted motion. Awesome soundtrack with the series' trademark mix of eastern and western music, but "Korra's" music is more rocky and jazzy, to match with the show's tempo, than "Aang's" smooth and calm scores. The storyline seems to be picking up quite nicely as well, with civil conflict brewing up in Republic City. The show is definitely making its own path and tone, and setting itself apart from "Aang".

But I still found myself really missing "Aang's" serene environments, gentler characters, and the cute, quirky humor. In fact I kind of found it hard to warm up to the characters in "Korra"....Korra is overall a very cool character, but is too aggressive and forceful. I hope that changes throughout the show, as Avatar always shows the evolution of its characters. Her newfound city friends, as well, are not that likable and their friendship is a little distant -- Aang, Katara and Sokka's friendship was as naturally progressing, fun, and close as they get. I also really miss the silly humor! Who can forget the cabbage seller from "Aang", and Sokka's silliness. With "Korra"'s older cast and a very serious conflict and villain already introduced and confronted, I really want more humor to balance the show out.

I think the show needs to calm down a bit, take a breath, and let its characters meaningfully interact a little more before ramping up the action to the 1000th degree. Still, a flaw due to excess is better than a flaw due to lack. The Legend of Korra is an excellent and well-crafted show, and I look forward to seeing it form into a series worthy of its predecessor.
233 out of 275 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Gorgeous animation cannot mask weak writing
MissSimonetta11 August 2013
...Or at least it shouldn't. I was shocked at the 8.6 rating this show has. Now before we get to the review let me say this: I WATCHED THE FIRST SEASON OF KORRA BEFORE I EVEN TOUCHED THE LAST AIRBENDER SERIES. I had no bias, no expectations. I was drawn to Korra by its beautiful animation, the dark plot, and the 1920s-inspired setting. I had heard of ATLA and had friends who were fans but I myself was never interested until I watched this show. At first, it was looking to be one of the best animated programs on television, perfect for kids and adults alike, but as the season wandered on, the quality plummeted.

The main plot itself is great: several non-benders are joining a terrorist organization after being mistreated by the benders for decades and there is question as to whether or not the avatar is even relevant in the modern world. You'd think the writers would have had a field day with this concept. They do not. Instead they waste time with one of the worst love squares in fiction.I think the writers did this because of the fans' interest in the romance of the first series, arguing over whether Katara belonged with Aang or Zuko. I say let the fans' do all that romantic speculation and save the soap opera plots for their fan fiction. If they wanted romance, then they should have kept it all low key.

The characters had so much potential to be great. Korra is the anti-Aang: more physical than spiritual, impulsive, and competitive. It would have been cool to see her grow as a character, but instead she gets everything handed to her on a silver platter by the season finale: she loses her most of her bending ability and we're tantalized with the idea that the next season will involve her getting in touch with her spiritual side, slowly regaining her power. Nope, instead she sheds one tear and all of a sudden ghost Aang shows up saying, "Congratulations, you've gotten in touch with your spirituality! Here's all your powers back and then some!" Stupid.

Mako and Bolin are terribly handled as well. Mako is truly appalling, stringing one girl along and then abandoning her for the main character. He doesn't break a sweat when his brother (whom he is supposedly protective of) is kidnapped by terrorists, but when Korra is taken he flies into hysterics. And the creators want us to like him. Yeah right. Bolin starts out cool, but slowly devolves into a watered down version of Sokka who exists only to pine after Korra and make wisecracks while the other characters do the heavy lifting.

And then there's poor Asami, the one decent character of the main four. She's lost her mother, become estranged from her father who disowns her once she refuses to accept his radical political views, and now has to deal with Mako, who tells her he loves her whilst he makes out with Korra while Asami's sleeping a few feet away. He never even takes responsibility for it. Poor girl... Luckily most of the minor characters are interesting, in particular the antagonist Amon and Toph's daughter Lin, a metalbending police chief.

For those who say the writers were handicapped by having only twelve episodes to work with, let me give you an example of why this assumption is hogwash. There's an excellent anime called Princess Tutu (2002) and its first season is in many ways a self-contained narrative. With only thirteen episodes to work with, they packed in as much character development and plot as they could, and did it extremely well. Korra has no excuse. It should not have wasted its time with so much filler and teenage hormones if the writers were so concerned about having only twelve episodes.

As of this writing, season two is set to come out next month. The only reason I gave this series a rating of six instead of four is because it's not over yet. I cross my fingers that the writers have learned from their mistakes and improved significantly.
47 out of 60 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Just as good, but harder to watch (emotionally)
mtcousins20 June 2012
To those uncertain about The Legend of Korra: watch it. It is every bit as good as the original Avatar series was. Set in a more modern world, the new avatar is faced with struggles of a different kind, struggles that relate more to our modern world. Technology is booming, crime is rising, and a revolution is awakening. This is much more real than the last series was.

The characters are built incredibly realistic, too. Korra is a revolutionary heroine: she is realistic, imperfect, hasty, rebellious... all the things that a teenager girl really would be. Faced with difficult decisions, she doesn't always choose the right ones, yet she always learns from them. The other characters also show these strenghts and weaknesses along with equal depth to the characters of The Last Airbender.

While different, troubled, and darker than the original, everyone should give The Legend of Korra a chance. It has many wonders to be seen as of yet and her story is only just beginning.
114 out of 157 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A worthy successor of The Last Airbender
Lars Laukens14 June 2012
The Legend Of Korra is a very worthy successor of the first series. It's a totally different environment, and the circumstances are also entirely different, but you can see that the makers of the series have put a lot of work and effort in the second series. The only downside I can think of is that, because the series will only concludes two seasons, is that, in my opinion, everything's a bit rushed. It's like they want to fit a lot of content into the 2 season time-frame. On the other hand, the series is brilliantly detailed, just like its predecessor, and has it's typical quirky humour. And the tension that they're building up throughout the show is an excellent way of keeping people tethered to their screens and to the series!
95 out of 134 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
This is for kids?
Wibi Udayana24 June 2012
When I first watched the series, I thought to myself. The creators of this show must be mad. The amount of Nazi references and injecting political views and ideals into this Nickelodeon show is astounding. This has to be one of the most mature children shows out there. It teaches them to deal with decision making, dealing with loss, sacrifice and how to deal with another Hitler in case one pops up in the future.

I also liked its not a 'Hey, we are the heroes, so lets get rid of what we perceive as wrong because we are always right.'like most kids shows. Legend of Korra gives strongly made backstory of the villains and heroes alike. They gave strong reasons to why the villains are rebelling and why the heroes are going against it. Its not those cliché 'I want to take over the world.' like the first series.

For anyone who does not consider watching this because its a cartoon, its from nickelodeon and its main character is not a slender and well toned skinned hottie. Well let me tell you, this cartoon is like watching a Nickelodeon and Chinese version of the Games of Thrones. Its heart wrenching, blood boiling and a tear jerking show. I'm surprised this is for kids.
113 out of 170 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Good new elements (although some are too much)
SkefOnline10 July 2012
The Legend of Korra starts pretty high paced and the new avatar is found fast, in contradiction to the previous series (where they take more time with the intro). This means that the adventure also start fast. Also, note that you should have seen the "Avatar, the Last Airbender" before you watch this one.

They have put some new concepts (for this series), like: after 70 years there is new some new technology, more love story, and a lot in the city (where Aang travels a lot over the entire world). I like this, but I have the feeling that there is a little too much, like too much new technology and too much love. I would have found it better that some technology is still being developed or missing (which other technology could be made clumsy in use). But there are also some new cool elements, such as the way of telling what has happened "previously on avatar", and a new sports game.

The humor is still good (I had a very good laugh somewhere in episode 10), and it's nice to see some of the previous (aged) characters back. I rate this 8/10 because of I really like the concept of newer technology in a fantasy world. But not higher because some elements are a little too much (to my opinion). Anyway, I couldn't stop watching and saw this entire season straight.
39 out of 56 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Gets better each episode
backuntri14 May 2012
I enjoyed the previous series, "The Last Airbender," and I had been checking every month or so to see if the new "Legend of Korra" had been released yet. Yesterday I realized that five or six episodes had been released so I watched them all while typing up some notes for school. I have to say, the first couple of episodes I was pretty worried. Many of the characters seemed very harsh and unlikable. Yet, as I got to know them better, I really started to like them and enjoy the show. "Legend of Korra" is lacking the hilarity which made "Airbender" so fun to watch, yet it is replaced with more menace, intrigue, and (I want to use the adjective "page-turning") excitement. The bits of humor that are present are perfect and I think they have captured a good balance. I'm really hooked. 9/10. The one missing star is in case the show takes a turn for the worse.
71 out of 109 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A lackluster series that fails on so many levels...
scronan200023 December 2014
I've waited patiently until the conclusion of TLOK to finally write this review. I am huge fan of ATLA…in fact I feel it is one of the best animated series out there and give it a solid 10/10. From the very first episode you are drawn into a world where the story telling and character development are top notch along with some well balanced humor and even a splash of romance. We were able to not only see but also feel the struggles the characters faced and how it changed them. It was a unique series that despite being made for children, appealed greatly to adults as well. Now, let's get back to TLOK.

I thought the first season was okay, but it had promise. I didn't like all of the characters and the pro bending stuff wasn't my cup of tea, but hey…it was more Avatar! However after this the show just continued to get worse…with some exceptions being the Avatar Wan episodes which were simply incredible – in my opinion on par with some of the best ATLA episodes. But despite a few decent episodes this show just kept missing the mark and then concluded with a lackluster ending that was unfortunately a fitting end to this poorly written series.

I always think back to the very first episode of ATLA where Zuko states "You're the airbender? You're the Avatar?" which still gives me goosebumps as I sit here writing about it! It grabbed you in the gut, made you pay attention and care about the characters. ATLA did this masterfully with almost every episode. TLOK failed at this miserably with very, very few exceptions.

Gripes That Ruined This Show:

1) The Radio Announcer: Holy hell was this guy annoying! He needed to die.

2) Love Triangles: TLOK uses this to the extreme and I mostly blame the idiot fans for this. Any one out there ever been in a real life love triangle? I have…and they are not fun at all…in fact they destroy people's lives. Hands down, the most stupid and overused plot device in modern storytelling.

3) Cookie Cutter Villains: Every season of LOK revolves a megalomaniac villain who wants to take over the world and preach their drivel to the masses. Amon was pretty good…but each season we get the same type of evil nut job…same crap, same story. No new ground broken here...lazy writing at its worst!

4) Prejudice against the old characters. We get a little tease of them, but now they are all mostly old and feeble. I guess King Bumi was an exception?

But my biggest complaint about this show is that while the premise was that it was "more adult oriented" the show ends up taking a huge step backwards into kiddie land. If you actually compare the two series…look closely at how many silly over the top characters are in TLOK…and then look at the more serious tone of ATLA. Let me explain further.

At first I liked the fact that the creators were not afraid to jump 70 years into the future…however they didn't really change anything. We have two annoying animals to replace Appa and Momo and they are p!ss poor replacements at best. And then there is a fatal overdose of what I call The Sokka Factor. Sokka's antics were silly and at times annoying…yet his character evolved and he got serious when called to action. If you really wanted a more grown up show…how about leaving this silly humor OUT OF THE NEW SERIES? Well the opposite happens because the writers dump on it us by the truckload!

This brings me to Bolin's character, who along with his wooden brother Mako were both a complete waste of animation and provided nothing new or interesting to the series. I watched the entire first two seasons several times before I actually memorized their names. This is a testament to how worthless I found them and how little I cared for their characters. Bolin's character continues to get more and more stupid and annoying…and then is joined by Bumi, Varrick and finally the most worthless character in the entire Avatar Universe, Prince Wu. This diarrhea overload of silly Jar-Jar Binks "humor" got so bad that I started counting how many minutes of each episode were devoted to these idiotic characters spouting off their stupidity and waving their arms around. I could almost see the writers in a room with a bunch of storyboards:

"OK we start this episode with a little serious story telling to tease the audience…and then BRING ON THE SOKKA! More silliness! Get him on the soapbox waving his arms and being SILLY! The kids love this crap, goddammit! OK, then we have another 2-3 minutes of some personal struggle of Korra's…wait not too much since we want to save the big reveal about Zuko/Toph or anything intelligent fans might actually care about for the next episode…and then GIVE ME MORE SILLY SOKKA!" o_O

Just watch how much screen time, especially in season 4 is given to this drivel. It's such a damn shame. Made for adults my ass!

And as a final insult, we get a ridiculous "Dumbledore is gay" ending. Fan pandering at its finest!

To the writers and creators of this show…you had us by our heart strings with ATLA…you really did. Then you allowed that horrible movie to be made. And then this crappy series. I'm extending my middle finger at my screen and THIS IS FOR YOU and all your stupid fans who actually supported this insipid drivel!

In conclusion I can best sum up the failure of The Legend of Korra and the future of this franchise by providing a movie quote spoken by Mako himself:

"Success can test one's mettle as surely as the strongest adversary".

Case closed.
34 out of 50 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Korra is just amazing! A perfect start as a sequel to The Last Airbender!
krazyaxe14 April 2012
Just watched 2 episodes of Korra.... and I must say it's more than what i expected. Didn't expect the same fun from Korra as last air bender... But Korra turned out to be a lot fun... Though the sequel is set 70 years after the original series, though there's no Aang and the Team Avatar... New Avatar is as much fun, you'll just fall in love with this character.. Last Airbender is been a favorite animation of mine, since i started watching it, back in 2008... I even have this thing, of watching it at least once a year... So i'm just glad that Korra started out to be a perfect sequel for the original series... Animation is better than The Last Airbender and action is brilliantly done... Music just gave goosebumps... So if you are a Last Airbender fan then let's just say that you'll have a big smile on your face while watching Korra... If you are not a fan then still you would have that smile... Korra rocks!!!!
67 out of 108 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
They didn't need to milk the cash cow
CynicOwl28 December 2012
Korra - Creator's pet. Instead of being a goal oriented, focused, good role model for girls like Katara, she has the personality of a 90's Disney princess -- rebellious free-spirit that needs a man to be happy.

Bolin - The reincarnation of Sokka. Jokes tend to fall flat; mediocre comic relief.

Mako - Creator's pet #2. He has Batman's backstory, but the dimensions of a piece of paper and the personality of a sock. He only exists to serve as a love interest for Korra and to keep Bolin from feeling lonely.

Asami- One of the very few characters worthy of sympathy. Her dad's a lunatic, her mom is dead (unless there's a cliché twist coming up), and Mako left her for someone less interesting and not as good-looking.

Tenzin - Tenzin is the strict, father-figure mentor that you've seen a million times before. He'll use the "you disobeyed me" speech, and then at the end of the episode come to an understanding. Cliché.

Lin - Jim Gordon as a female. She plays by the book, unless she's pushed.

Amon - Would have been a great antagonist if he hadn't gone the terrorist route like Bane. He and his brother are the most developed characters of the series, and they're killed off!

Many fans will defend the show's lack of character development by saying "Michael and Bryan thought they only had 12 episodes to work with. How could they do better?" Here's how:

1) Pro-bending shouldn't exist. It wastes time. Remove pro-bending and you have at least an extra 15 minutes to move the story along, develop characters, etc.

2) Remove the melodramatic romances. This is suppose to be an Avatar sequel, not the Winx club. The original series did fine without episodes focusing on relationship angst, and this show would've done fine as well.

Other problems with this series are as follows:

Rushed ending - The creators should have left some things ambiguous instead of cramming in 6 resolutions in the last 5 minutes.

Lack of action - The original series spanned over numerous cities and had adventure at every turn. I'm not saying there is anything wrong with staying in one city, I just wish the show stayed faithful to its trailer -- action-packed.

Cheating - Affairs in a kids show? Isn't this rated Tv-Y7? How are we suppose to care for Korra and Mako when all they do is hurt people and get away with it without repercussions.

Equalist plot - It fell short. I wish there was more focus on this and lesser focus on the crap I mentioned above.

How the series can improve:

1) Give the equalists a new leader, and make that person a political extremist -- not a down right terrorist.

2) Focus on story, not romance.

3) Let those who do wrong pay for it.

4) Expand on the equalist plot. Let them form mobs. Make it the equalist vs benders with Korra stuck in the middle.

5) Let Korra work for something. Give her a conflict; stop letting things come easy to her and don't let Aang's spirit work as a deus ex machina anymore.

The second season may improve, and the show may become good at one point, but it will never compare to the original. As it stands currently, this show doesn't need to exist. It plays out like a bad fanfiction.
43 out of 67 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Korra Sue starring in How to Destroy a Good Thing
Solitarius_Virtus15 April 2017
Without going at lengths through the accomplishments of the spiritual forefather of this series, let it be noted that A:TLA revolutionized the animated series scene when it came out, a testament to the power of higher-quality animation and good writing. With that in mind, a sequel, with the same people at helm, was a thrilling prospect.

Up until coming face to face with the creation, that is. LoK borrows many elements from A:TLA, and could have conceivably done a fairly good job of preserving the central aspects of the A:TLA universe while tweaking it for a new audience. Instead, the fans of the original were pelted with, metaphorical, dung pies all the way from the title character mastering three of the four elements by age four to the awful, contrived ending where the casual viewer was berated for wearing hetero lenses when the romance took an unexpected turn.

The show as a whole undermines the notion of an Avatar, reduces what have been beloved characters to mere jokes and has the audacity to pat itself on the back for destroying the legacy left behind by Aang and co. What is the point of the Avatar training and going around the world when Korra Sue can bend three elements by age four? What is so great about Iroh entering the spirit world when there is an accessible portal through which most anyone can pass? Why is the Avatar in any way special when the Turtles might have bestowed their powers upon any other mortal who would then go on to fuse with Raava? The answers can only be the following: none, nothing and he/she isn't.

I suppose they tried re-framing the origins and demystifying the concept of Avatar, but Bryke seem to have overlooked that half the fun is in the mystery.

From a technical standpoint, the animation is of good quality and the music likewise contributes to the atmosphere. But these factors can only do so much. One needs a good story to work with. Which story is not to be found here.

If one watches the series without a single iota of an expectation, then it will surely please. For those of us expecting more than a pretty picture , however, it will likely leave a sour aftertaste, be advised when choosing to watch this.

3/10 is the score I give it, and those three points go to animation and music, and nothing else besides.
14 out of 19 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A disappointing yet enjoyable series so far
David Sabic10 July 2012
Avatar: The Last Airbender is easily my favorite recent example of western animation, so not only were my expectations high for Korra fairly high. When I first heard that there was going to be a sequel, I couldn't be more excited. The hype and buildup for this show was incredible for a lot of people - a more modern Avatar world with an older, more headstrong female protagonist set in the cultural hub of the world is simply as good as it could possibly get, and for the first few episodes of the series, a lot of great ideas were established and the characters at the time were shown to have great potential for growth and lasting importance. We have a populous cultural capital in an industrial boom, an older, more articulate cast, a plot centralized around themes of equality between benders and non-benders, and some of the most gorgeous animation ever to be featured in a cartoon.

Sadly, the writing couldn't hold up. Bryke just couldn't maintain so many of the elements that to us would seemingly write themselves. The pacing is all over the place, with some episodes taking place weeks after their predecessors, and others starting and finishing entire plot threads in a single episode. Interesting themes and ideas established early on degrade into predictable shlock, the most prominent offender being the romance between the protagonist and another character, which for me stands as one of the most poorly done I've ever seen in any animation. The finale could have been the one saving grace as Amon, the central antagonist, was one of the series' high points with interesting motivation and a background that could have had an amazing story to it. Unfortunately, he too falls prey to the lightning-paced exposition, and the writers fumbling eventually ends up defeating the entire purpose of his existence and his "equalist" movement in the span of five minutes. By the end of the finale, almost every single problem for the cast of characters is magically solved, but the final insult comes with how Korra's final problem is solved. It quite literally comes out of nowhere, and it leaves her character, as well as almost every other character, with now growth to speak of whatsoever.

I understand that a second season was not green lit until most of the material for season one was set in stone, and thus this season was very self contained, but it really isn't an excuse for the incredibly lackluster writing. What makes all of this so frustrating is the fact that at face value, the show is still very entertaining. The action later in the show was visceral and exciting if you turned your brain off to the plot armor and obvious outcomes. There was some nice lighthearted stuff from time to time, and the voice actors, particularly Dee Bradley Baker and Steve Blum, steal the show with some impressive delivery.

All in all, a massive disappointment, but still a good show that's enjoyable at face value. I'd recommend it to anybody not setting their expectations through the roof.
35 out of 55 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Can't believe I'm saying this, but ...
thommy74127 May 2012
The Legend of Korra seriously takes some steps into the right direction by throwing in some more or less "new" concepts (new as new for Avatar) such as love stories and relationships from the get go and a more "modern" world. If you watched the original Avatar (if you didn't go right to it) you may appreciate that, although Korra really has some of Avatar's good old content such as fast-paced element-bender battles, it also feels new and fresh and in no way "forced" to be a sequel on it's own. If it really will be as entertaining and as good as the prequel only time can tell but for now (seen 6 episodes so far) the story is more promising than I ever could have imagined it to be. Last but not least I really want to point out the storytelling: If you pay attention you'll notice that the script for this series is much more than just a foolish attempt to catch the fame of "Avatar": Many old characters can be "found" here, revived as new roles. Great humor and action awaits.
50 out of 82 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Not as good as the prequel, but still the best Animation in awhile
Haris Krupalija21 May 2012
Legend of Korra appeals to be way more mature than its prequel: The Last Airbender. Whilst that gives an edge to Korra, it also removes that childish and innocent humor enveloped in rather serious conflict.

Still, do not be fooled - Legend of Korra is an impressive animation work; it goes flawlessly in graphic and motion design, it doesn't lack a humor nor a good, intriguing story. Korra is basically everything Aang wasn't: She's stubborn, hasty, inpatient and not as shy as Aang. I think they made quite a good move here since we already have three season with over twenty episodes to watch a mindful, calm and shy Aang. The gathering, or gang if you wish, are also kind a different. There's that innocent, teen "Love squared" as I like to call it which is more amusing than serious, though. Then there's again one "wisdomous" guy with only patience and non-conflict solution on his mind. There are also many others; lots and lots of different characters that you will surely enjoy in. It's actually still early to judge the show because it unravels itself episode by episode. As the more episodes are aired, the more you realize about the story of Republic City and all its mysteries.

To short the long talk, Legend of Korra is most likely more mature than the Last Airbender (which actually brings another question: if Tenzin is the Aang's only child (or so I understood), then there's only four (upcoming fifth) remaining Airbenders - We'll see), with not so much a childish humor (which is still there, don't worry) and a story which untangles really slowly and forces you to watch the show from episode to episode. If you loved the prequel, you'll love its sequel.
50 out of 82 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Truly outstanding and satisfying series.
Jonathan Burton3 August 2015
Avatar: Legend of Korra was outstanding. I praise it's in depth and complex story, and it's intriguing plot. Every episode had an element of human emotion that really tied each episode together and kept it interesting. From love and romance, to anger, fear, and moral values being put to the test. Unlike it's predecessor Last Airbender,Legend of Korra was faster progressing, and had less moments of comedy and goofiness that were a bit irrelevant to the story arch. It moved towards the climax of the series faster, making it an unfortunately short, but more satisfying show. This series also had a darker, more mature atmosphere. Scenes of death were more blatant, and happened more often, and the concept of peril and failure were more apparent. It was more realistic to how real life conflict and danger is, the main protagonist actually lost quite a few times. The antagonists were also much more sinister and were more ruthless. The character development was a bit more complex and in depth than Last Airbender. As far as comedy, Legend of Korra relied more on subtle pun and wit based humor, and less slapstick and silliness than in last a Airbender. Legend of Korra focused more on other characters emotional development and relationship with each other and the main protagonist as well, making it identify to an older audience who want more complexity in character development. Legend of Korra focused less on the lead character learning how to be an avatar, mostly because of the lead having more experience in the art of bending, and knowing about being the avatar longer. So the series focused much more on keeping the viewers focus on what the outcome of the story will be, basically making you think ahead and less in the moment of the scenes and the lead character. All in all, i enjoyed Legend of Korra so much, and it had me so drawn in, that i didn't want to watch the final episode because i didn't want it to be over. The emotional context and subject matter was capable of making me tear up and break down, far more than in last Airbender as well, so for people who enjoy lots of complex emotional subject matter, this is a treat for you. I say you watch this series now if you haven't, because you will not regret it.
11 out of 15 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Excellent but a little rushed
snickers25241 July 2012
For the most part I only started watching this because I wanted to see what the final outcome would be of the original series. But after watching the first season I was completely hooked and wanted more. The animation was absolutely stunning and the voices fit their characters extremely well. My only complaint is that the entire season felt rushed. Though it is understandable as it was originally only supposed to be a mini-series of twelve episodes. My only other complaint is that throughout the entire season they don't properly show how powerful Kora really is. While in the original series they showed is with Ang using the avatar state which I always enjoyed as I thought it was quite cool.

Overall definitely worth watching but it doesn't quite match up to the original series.
20 out of 31 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Slightly above average...
HippieMoon9420 July 2016
I was, and still am, a HUGE fan of this show's predecessor. I say that because my bias based on my love for the original will no doubt needlessly seep through during this review.

This show started off well enough, in my honest opinion, however in the long-run it lost my attention. I found myself literally just sitting in the same room with the show playing on my computer while doing other more intriguing tasks like folding my laundry.

For me, it was okay at best, definitely not top notch like the original. This show's predecessor had charisma, and a sense of urgency while still maintaining a humorous undertone. This show lacks both of those things. Actually, some of the most fulfilling segments of the show for me were the parts that included characters from the original show.

Let's take a moment just to discuss this show's characters and their lack of character. I found them stiff, and I didn't feel like I could relate to them in the slightest, let alone care about their overall plight. I felt like their connections definitely could've used more work because every romantic fling felt like just that, a fling.I don't know if the writers were trying their hardest to demonstrate the futility and fallibility of teenage relationships because if they were, they DEFINITELY nailed it. The relationship between Mako and Korra was cringe-worthy bad at moments. I found the development of the teenage characters to be the same cliché teenager characters with their angst-y, shallow feelings that fit the mold of a lot of other teenagers on TV.

*SPOILER FOR SURE* Asami and Korra's relationship at the end I despised the most for a multitude of reasons, but I'll only hash out the first few. It was clearly a political setup to show support for the lgbtq marriage movement issues because if they were looking to show actual, thought out representation of the gay community then they would have introduced a new female character for Korra to have grown close to instead of just being like "hey, we've already got two girls in the group why not just stick them together randomly, even though they've been primarily hetero up to this point in the show." I also didn't appreciate this relationship because of the fact that Asami only came into the group because of her romantic connection to Mako which led to Korra not liking her at all, initially. Supposedly, the two ladies were corresponding while Korra was away and that's when they went from being friends to something more, but I find that to be a complete and total crock. Korra was not very close to Asami before she left, so why would she all of a sudden decide she wanted to draw closer to her in particular in her time of need (while alienating her other friends completely), ridiculous. If they were going to stick with the bi- sexual angle with Korra, I would've much rather they had just taken the time to introduce a new character that accompanied her when she came back and then slowly revealed that they were more than just friends over the course of the last season. I, personally, would have preferred she was single at the end of the series to show people that it's okay to be alone, and while its encouraged you have close friends you can rely on, you don't ALWAYS have to be in a relationship.

Moving on the the plot lines, shaky at best. I found that they were always cramming in a ton of stuff just to make the tone seem more serious and thought provoking than it actually was. In season 1 alone, the main villain is SUPPOSEDLY taking away people's bending abilities with blood-bending, but I don't buy that load of crap for a second. HOW DOES BLOOD-BENDING TAKE AWAY POWERS?! And season 4 was a hot mess. That last big robot had me laughing so loud I'm pretty sure my neighbors were poised and ready to call the psych ward. I found it utterly ridiculous, reeking of desperation for lost viewers.

Now my last point on this show, the avatar herself. She disappointed me a lot. I liked how headstrong she was, to a point, and really enjoyed her zest for life, but honestly this had to be the worst avatar ever. She literally got all her past lives erased with foolishness. She lost almost every fight, and I doubt she could've stood alone without the new "team avatar" by her side. I mean it's nice to have friends to help you out of a tough spot, but you really can't stand up to any of these criminals alone can you?! I hardly ever felt sorry for her, and she didn't seem to think a whole lot. I was ready to see a fulfilling female avatar in action, kicking butt and taking names, but Korra was an utter disappointment. She actually seemed to grow weaker as time passed on the show. I don't know if the writers purposefully made her dependent to a fault on her friends or if it just worked out that way. Making HER, in particular, bi-sexual instead of just Asami, Bolin or Mako makes me think they were actually endorsing the sexist theory that if a woman is strong she cannot find a man or accept a singles life therefore seeks out the affection of another more effeminate woman (like a butch man would, traditionally).

I can't leave without at least mentioning some of the things I enjoyed because I really did find myself captivated by some aspects of the show. The musical score was intoxicating. Some of the advancements in technology were interesting. Most of the fight scenes were AMAZING. And I really did LOVE a lot of the spirit world scenes, and the backstory about avatar wun. Overall, like I said before, this show is slightly above average.
7 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
The hype is undeserved
Scortia2 July 2012
This series started with a lot of potential. Do not assume this negative review comes from someone who can't "cope" with how different this series is from its predecessor. I was prepared for a different world and new themes. But, unfortunately, this series fell way short (at least at this point where season 1 has finished).

We are left with characters who do little to grow, a plot which ends up confused and hanging more than reaching a true climax and resolution, and some of the most tacked-on romance I have ever witnessed. The storywriting was just so weak and each episode did little to remedy it. Would you like a better understanding of how Korra has difficulty with spirituality and air bending? Would you like to really see why? Sorry, we'll dedicate a few episodes to professional bending which will do little to expand on the overall story or its characters at all. I won't present spoilers, but it's clear how much time is wasted on a very obvious and lazy romantic pairing early on. At first I thought Bryke were just messing with the fans who are obsessed with "shipping", but no, it was serious. The question is, how do these kids even have a chance to fall deeply in love with each other so quickly when there's so little going on with their personalities to make them have a true "presence"? Amon, as a villain, seemed a redeeming area. The conflict of benders and nonbenders. And yet, the depth that could have gone into the issue was absent. Hell, everyone's parent(s) died because of some random firebender. Yeah, OK. That's a bit of a cop out if I've ever seen one.

By the end, the serious questions that should be gripping the main characters are there but they seem so much shallower than they should be. Not to create spoilers by being specific, but it's as though the ending stayed in that kiddy pool while trying to pretend it deserved to become an Olympic swimmer.

I'm not a young, insane fan. I like a good storyline and I can recognize one. It's not even a matter of opinion, this story with so much potential just fell short. I'd blame it on the shorter 12 episode length versus the 20 of season one of TLA, but Book 1 of TLA would have been a stronger story with bolder characters even if you removed the eight most filler-like episodes within it. I just don't know where the magic died... perhaps because Aaron Ehasz wasn't writing? Seems like he had a lot of the best ideas for the first series.

I hope it finds its footing in season two, but for now I'm a pretty disappointed viewer.
122 out of 240 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Huge disappointment
arosamond9 December 2012
I absolutely loved the original series; however, I found this new series to be seriously lacking in substance, and thus extremely disappointing. The show is obviously aimed at teenage audiences, and thus has a lot of unnecessarily angsty romance that wasn't present (or at least more subtle) in the original series. Although the 'bad guys' in the series seem to have a valid cause, they are depicted as almost wholly evil. We don't get to know any of them personally, except the main villain, who is only shown in a sympathetic light once we learn that he's a bender. Most of the "bad guys" are faceless, generic goons, and show zero character development. In contrast, in the original series, we are shown the human side of the fire-nation; some members of the fire-nation are good, and even join the protagonists' side. Although the show's premise is interesting and has potential, the main characters are fairly two-dimensional and (in my opinion) not very likable -- especially Mako, who is basically a moody jerk, (unsuccessfully) played off as tormented and mysterious. All in all, definitely a downgrade from the original series. The writers took away any sort of deep meaning that was present in the first series for a short fandom-pleaser. The show also seems very rushed, as the creators only planned to make one series. I don't understand why it has such a high rating.
32 out of 56 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
We don't deserve this show
Forest Kellom15 November 2017
I cannot believe some of you. This show is just fantastic. The animation is stunning, the characters are likable, and the show isn't afraid to get dark. Don't try to compare this to the original since the stories are wildly different. My only complaint is that it left me wanting more!
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Jack Dalzell30 August 2017
Spoilers

While not reaching the heights of it's predecessor, TLOK is an amazing series in its own right. It's a successful follow up to what is regarded as one of the greatest TV shows of all time that continues to build and develop this amazing world Bryke has created and give us likable and well developed characters, whether they be good or bad, and create intricate and complex story lines that has the audience questioning and thinking about the issues the show is addressing. Themes such as fascism, equality, PTSD, and much more are prevalent throughout a series supposedly meant for children. It's a darker and more mature show when compared to A:TLA, which is saying a lot considering some of the events that occur in that show, and while darker does not always mean better, TLOK does a fantastic job of addressing and conveying these issues, especially through its villains. Characters like Zaheer and Amon act as far better and more interesting villains than any from the original series (yes, even Azula).

However, that being said, it's not a show that has you feeling this way on the first go around. Part of that may be because you're blinded by your love of the original series. Spending three seasons with Aang and then dealing with Korra, who is practically the exact opposite of Aang in almost every single way, it may leave you with a huge dislike for the main character because you grew so attached to Aang and found his character more likable and relatable. As a result, some become ignorant of her immense character growth and the struggles she goes through in her time as the Avatar. Even I wasn't that big on Korra, both as a character and as a show, the first time around (especially when Season 2 hit, which is the weakest season and with how Korra acts in the beginning of it). I thought it was good, but not much else. Rewatching it, I see a lot more of the complexities of Korra's character, and her actions and decisions seem much more justifiable (most of them, her behavior in Season 2 is still a bit irritating, but again, understandable). Korra's journey is different from Aang's, and that's the point that a lot of people miss with this show, but both end up becoming successful and highly accomplished Avatars in their own right.

Is the show flawed, yeah, but so was Avatar, despite how good that show was. I'm not saying Korra is better than Avatar, but that doesn't stop me from loving TLOK in its own right. I'd give TLOK an 8.5 out of 10, but since I can't give that rating, I'll round it up to 9/10.
5 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A fine sequel series
benjaminburt23 August 2017
This cartoon has been reviewed to death, so let me just be concise - Avatar: the Last Airbender is arguably the greatest children's cartoon ever, and Korra is its good follow-up.

Just a few notes: For every step forward this show takes, it also takes a step back. For all the good that came out of the show, please know that the pacing, tone, and plot are all kind of stilted, the characters are way less deep than in Avatar, and there are some retcons and developments that may bother purist Avatar fans.

But, for most Avatar fans, you will enjoy Legend of Korra. It is a return to that land that we love so much and the magical bending that so engrossed us.

If you are interested in the show, I would recommend seeing Avatar first, then this show. Both are worth the watch, and seeing Avatar will improve this show all that much more.
5 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
I still can't believe these are the same writers of The Last Airbender
trotters-865-76930517 July 2015
First of all, what the legend of korra did right: amazing art style, old timey feel of the introduction and narration of each episode and giving us hope of expanding the world of the original Avatar series and the stories of the characters we loved. Now the train wreck.

The legend of korra promised several things from the very beginning, the world we loved but with 1920's-1930's based culture and technology, a better understanding of the spirit-world and a female main character (still unfortunately underdone in superhero archetypes with the result that a lot of people will over look a lot of the flaws in writing of the series), but it wasn't enough. If you will recall the first couple episodes of the first avatar, they were fairly poorly written, the characters were still one dimensional but after that the episode quality slowly improved. The legend of korra begins with a slightly better first episode but then the episodes get worse. The first half of seasons 1 and 3 were okay but the ending of each season were generally bad with the last half of season 2 and all of season 4 being laughably bad to the point that they had to rely on flashy gimmicks just to try and keep people's attention, such as demystifying the avatar (which I will get into later) and making korra start off straight and then become gay.

The demystification of the avatar was the worst of it, the avatar is supposed to represent the most upright person in the entire world, one who stands for justice and freedom, and yet they start him off(you get to learn about the first avatar) as a thief who tricks his way into getting and keeping his powers of firebending and then befriends a spirit who fuses with his soul to allow him to get the rest of the elements. They then also take away korras ability to contact any of the past avatar lives and never restore it.

Also, the fight scenes didn't resemble fighting so much as dancing while showing off their flashy moves. There was no apparent understanding of what a fight was or how to win it, you might as well watch the "The Funniest Ever Black Belt Masters Showing Skills" on youtube. Furthermore, it seemed like every villain in the series was developed over one hour of breakfast while the writers were watching cheesy cartoons, I guess the best thing about this series is that it might encourage the watchers to start reading as they lose hope in TV as an entertainment medium.
16 out of 26 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Simply should not have been made...
Joe Kettell16 March 2014
(Note) this review is based largely on the first series, the second is slightly more tolerable but still didn't hook me enough to watch more than the first six episodes.

Avatar: The Legend of Korra is not without its positives. The need to differentiate itself from its predecessor goes without saying and the steam punk setting is interesting, blending modern sensibilities with themes like industrial expansion and political revolution. The summaries of the episodes, told in a sepia old-movie style with a posh British commentator are genuinely exciting and the music is jazzy and upbeat. However, there is little else of merit in this deeply flawed re- imagination of the Avatar universe.

The opening credits of The Last Airbender were narrated enthusiastically by Katara, they created anticipation. J.K. Simmons, who can be interesting, is positively lack-luster by comparison. And Tenzin, whilst delivering the odd amusing line or gesture, is just boring. Korra too is unlikable. Of course she has to be different to Aang but she is constantly whining and very hard to sympathise with as a result. The inevitable romantic sub-plot is not believable, how does anyone fall for someone so mopey? Bolin is a failed attempt to recreate Sakka in that he isn't particularly funny and Mako is too serious. In its rush to create an extravagant plot, it forgets character development, which was what underpinned The Last Airbender - Zuko being the greatest example in his defection from the Fire Nation.

Throughout, the question is raised: how can stoic and bland Tenzin even be related to the playful and interesting Aang? It is answered in a flashback where Aang is depicted, astonishingly, as not only weak but as a dull character, telling Toph to stop calling him nicknames, something that the old Aang would never have done. Not even with the additional and strenuous pressure of uniting the land. Being the Avatar is no longer a privilege, it is just a title, a word even and though this may make it seem grittier, it has no more relevance than, for example, Useful Pro-Bending Player: The Legend of Korra.

The frequent use of blood-bending is very problematic, as it was symbolic of human depravity before, it was a moral issue, could a person ever stoop so low as to physically control another human? Could it ever be right? Now, it is used flippantly and its gravitas is diminished. Similarly with the ability bestowed upon the avatar to remove bending, another moral issue, born out of Aang's desperation not to end the Fire Lord's life and supposedly only possible for the pure of spirit. Again, tossed around trivially until it loses its meaning.

To see people comparing The Legend of Korra and The Last Airbender in the same breath is staggering. Korra's adventures seem to try their very best to trample over and defile the memories of Aang and it is a real, real shame. As a stand-alone series, it might be passable but it is impossible to ignore comparisons between the two. It could have been so much more but it just leaves a bitter taste in the mouth and is a dip back into the Avatar universe that ultimately should not have been taken.
19 out of 32 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A new avatar, totally different experience from its predecessor
Pow Ree18 May 2012
I've always loved Legend of Aang. While the show was kind of childish in a way, it fits right in with the young characters, and all of them are developed well, even though the last season kind of hasten things up near the end.

Korra, the sequel, does not disappoint in animation quality. Superb design, animation, expression, directions. These elements could par LoA easily, if not better.

The only thing I feel lacking was actually the story part. Perhaps due to the avatar being a young woman instead of a kid, the story is now presented more rationally. Things are taken rather serious, unlike Aang's optimistic perspective of things.Before, we have this 'Fire Nation' as the main enemy, but now the enemy seems to be coming from the republic itself.

So while Korra has its humorous elements (which I'm very glad it's still there) and imaginative bender fights, don't expect the same ride in LoA. This is a more mature story, and it will take a little time to see how the plot reveals itself.

There's plenty of intriguing flashbacks mysteries for fans of LoA, and I think the real 'meat' of Korra will be revealed in much later episodes. Perhaps a philosophical debate instead of just bending elements every two episodes.
6 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this