The Stolen (2017) Poster

(II) (2017)

Not bad really
Calicodreamin9 June 2020
For an obviously low budget film, this isn't too bad. The storyline is captivating and well developed, the characters hold interest and are well acted. Go in with little to no expectations and it's quite enjoyable, just don't hold a candle to any of the details.
The Stolen review
JoeytheBrit10 May 2020
Dull Western set in New Zealand in which posh English woman Alice Eve joins a troop of whores in order to search for her stolen baby son. Sets that are about as realistic as a 40s Western, wafer-thin characterisations, a plot that goes nowhere for a good hour, and sub-standard acting from a host of second-tier TV actors.
3 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Dumb plot, illogical and obtuse
digitalbeachbum6 June 2020
The movie starts off normal and even through the middle, but as the script reveals the motivation of the characters the entire story goes to crap. It isn't logical. Even my wife questioned the plot which means I am right with my review.

This movie tried to be smart and different but it ends up being overburdened with a complex idea that doesn't make reality. It fails to keep up the illusion of the story. The characters don't perform realistically. There motivation is fake.

The script and director are the failure of what could have been a good movie.
2 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Goldilocks Goes To Cowboy Country
dwp19486 June 2020
06/05/2020 Viewers are about to spend an hour and a half watching "Pretty MeMe" hot on the cowboy trail of baby nappers. Early in this movie you get to watch Mr. Meany Cowboy Baby Napper holding his pistola to baby head - perhaps Meany Cowboy thinks headless baby bea nomo crybaby? Really, what kind of a sick-o wants to watch a headless baby movie? I don't remember Gene Autry Roy Rogers or the Lone Ranger doing any headless baby movies back in the 1950's? Implausible movie for those who choose to overlook imaginary movies.
1 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Despite Its Drawbacks the Film Kept Me Engaged
larrys34 January 2018
Set in 1882 on South Island, New Zealand, this adult drama has a number of preposterous plot elements and is not exactly your feel-good movie of the year, but it held my interest throughout and I wondered how it would all turn out. Alice Eve stars as Charlotte Lockton who has relocated to New Zealand from England with her husband David. However, soon after their arrival her husband is killed by home invaders and her baby boy kidnapped.

Charlotte will risk it all by embarking on a hazardous wagon trek (transporting supplies and prostitutes) to the Wild West-like environs of Goldtown. where she will try to locate and take back her baby boy. They'll be plenty of violence and unpleasantness to come as the movie progresses.

Overall, as mentioned, despite its flaws I found myself engaged enough and I particularly liked the ending here.
18 out of 23 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A New Zealand Western Musical?
bemyfriend-401841 January 2021
It worked best as a musical. The costumes were good. The music was great. The dancing was, GREAT!! The native dude's singing... GRRREAT!!! The plot was a little lacking, and kind of slow. Filled with a chain of predictable clichés. But, that kind of made it... like a candy bar. No nutrition or substance; but satisfyingly sweet. Gets five stars; because it was cookie cutter and rote; but fine for its genre.
Lacking in saloon scenes
gpxdlr11 June 2020
Miners camp way too clean. The miners and 'ho's much too clean. AND the miners themselves too well behaved. Script had Charlotte "dodge many bullets" in the saloon that were implausible. NZ scenery nice though. Cast OK. Worth a watch.
2 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Surprisingly good but could have been better
phoenixinvictus9 August 2018
I didn't know what to expect from this movie but I enjoyed. It could have been a lot better if they had developed the characters a lot more as well as the story.
1 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Fairly predictable
wruzek7 July 2021
New Zealand western style lacked depth but some intensity. I'd hoped they would avoid the Hollywood culture of blasphemy against Jesus but no, they are equal to the task! Our sad, evil pop culture!
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Coulda, shoulda
There could be quite a few exciting and interesting films set in NZ during this time period and earlier but they don't seem to be getting made and this TV movie with it's complete lack of reality does not cut it.
6 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Mixed bag with a dud ending
tony-146-69562617 February 2019
The first act is pretty good and succeeds in engaging the viewer. But as the plot unravels it gets harder to stay engaged as disbelief sets in. Several interesting plot points are introduced but never resolved.

The best part is the scenery, it is very beautiful to look at, with majestic mountains and rich flora. It is New Zealand after all. I kept looking for Frodo to pop in for a cameo.

The presentation of frontier life in the fringes of civilization was also interesting, and illustrated very well the randomness of death that could surprise even the seasoned and experienced,

Alice Eve does a great job with the starring part as the distraught mother, but as the story collapses there is not much she can do.

But the scenery and the dangers by themselves does not make a god movie. The last 30 minutes steadily go downhill until the weak ending.

Side note, a better movie with Alice Eve is Replica, with Keanu Reeves. That one is a 7.5 .
8 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Interesting and unusual western
fourletterfury18 January 2018
For fans of the classic western, or fans of stories that challenge the status quo, this is a compelling and fascinating adventure told from a different perspective. Charlotte Lockton (Alice Eve) has moved from England to New Zealand with her rich husband in 1860. But after her home is attacked and baby son is kidnapped, she decides to track him down, joining a ragtag bunch of misfits and ex-convicts to travel to the rough mining community of Gold Town, where she believes her son has been taken. In short, it's the traditional western told from the eyes of a woman, not the typical gunslinger (although we see those too!)

The film features beautiful, rugged New Zealand landscape which looks incredibly cinematic, plus a powerful score. What is also notable is the ensemble cast, which is very impressive. The lineup features Jack Davenport (Pirates of the Caribbean, Kingsman: The Secret Service), Graham McTavish (Preacher, Outlander, Rambo), Richard O'Brien (The Rocky Horror Picture Show, The Crystal Maze), NZ music star Stan Walker and more. The cast is excellent and conveys the rich variety of characters very well, with settlers from all over the world, realistic in its history. With further reading, the filmmakers have done a good job combining a rarely discussed slice of history with a fresh, engaging story.

For an unconventional spin on a long established genre, and a strong cast to boot, The Stolen is a highly recommended, unusual western adventure.
9 out of 16 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
HD PHOTOGRAPHS IN GLOSS PAPER IN 1860??
flyingmouseplus30 April 2021
Not well researched. I just got to that part and the story broke in an instant.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
great aussie/new zealand cowboy movie
islandgirlyacht23 November 2020
An old fashioned cowboy movie. enjoyed it. alice is beautiful. writing, acting was teriffic. if you like westerns, take a chance, you'll love it.
I enjoyed it
kiwijws12 June 2018
I do understand why other reviewers haven't enjoyed this movie as much as I did. I needed to know what happened and wished the ending had included more of what happened next. I thoroughly enjoyed the the beautiful scenery, wonderful costumes and general plot but felt a stronger script would have improved the story line. A lot of unutilised potential here.
3 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Uneven and predictable pseudo-western that may have worked better as a soap opera.
JDreviews1014 January 2018
Here we have another clichéd and very unimpressive attempt at what could've been a strong, memorable revenge tale. Since the first few scenes and spoken lines of dialogue I knew just how uninteresting and predictably bland this film was going to be. Although the writing of the script is highly questionable I think the story should have been considered better as a soap opera. Alice Eve delivers an unconvincing yet borderline-acceptable performance. The acting overall is evidently deficient and it becomes distracting after a while. The climax leaves you unmoved and careless after a lot of weak acting and predictable plot points. On the other hand the cinematography and landscape shots are pretty nice as you would expect in any 'western' flick. The musical score is alright for the most part but at times it feels a bit out of place. Camerawork and editing are pretty average and acceptable. Production design is suitable although some of the sets look clearly unfinished and hurriedly made. All in all not recommended, do not waste your time in this. Go watch a real american western instead.
19 out of 34 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Horrible
lisatesch20 June 2020
Just one bad happenstance after another for a 30 second happy ending. Also unrealistic....and pointless abduction. Waste of a lot of good actors.
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Good period drama from New Zealand
jcslbjjfk8 June 2020
Not sure about the negative "western" comments as if the US was the only place that ever had horses and gold towns. We thought the story, the acting and the scenery were all quite good.
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Fun despite the babies
isadoraopossum16 December 2018
I don't like westerns, which is probably why I love this modern western trend that traditional western fans hate so much. But I wasn't really loving the idea of watching a western about a forlorn woman running around looking for her lost baby. I'm not a baby person. Like, I get the concept of a heartsick mother looking for her lost child, but as a childfree woman in her 30s who is perpetually icked out by motherhood, I just wasn't sure this was the modern day western for me.

I liked the time period and the location, and the strong female lead though, so I gave it a shot, and I'm glad I did. It was fun and engaging. It had its plot holes, like most movies, but I really liked it. Gotta say though, that was one ugly baby. The moment I saw it I thought, Jesus let the dude have it and just start over! I'm sure you could make a cuter one... Yikes...
2 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Believable, historical revenge flick...
aniyaromaingerjd26 August 2021
...That's a solid B movie all the way around but has quite decent acting all around. You can feel the grit of this film. You may recognize one of the characters from Outlander, and there are several surprises midway into the movie which change the course of the rather predicable plot. Within the final moments of the final scene you know exactly what's going to happen and that's not fun, but as i said before, the mid movie surprises make it a solid watch at least once.
Loved it
spankybenford29 June 2020
If u like country western DRAMA! A woman fighting for hers this is it.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I wanted to like this film :(
jtmorgan-2466418 August 2019
As an enormous fan of Westerns and a New Zealander, I was so excited to watch this film - having now seen it I'm left with nothing but disappointment. I'll run you through a quick pros and cons list

Pros
  • Beautiful scenery
  • Interesting and under-explored setting

Cons
  • Predictable plot
  • Idiotic characters
  • Several poor actors
  • Weak third act
  • Little to no character development in anybody other than the protagonist.

This film feels like it's building to something that never comes. I had enormous hopes and probably a pretty large bias towards the film from the beginning, but it still failed to even entertain me. 4 stars
11 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Stay for the cinematography not the story
neilbilas1 July 2018
Incoherent unnecessary and ultimately dreary, the kind of film that isn't bad but instead incredibly tedious. There's no reason why it's even shot in New Zealand - aside from inferences to it involving outsiders. Even then the locals are painted as mythical noble savages. Incoherent plot line and unbelievable character motivations. Save yourself the 90 minutes.
5 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Good period romp
donnahasgrove21 November 2018
Apart from some pacing issues - this movie kept be going with the plot and held my attention until the end.

Found several scenes with the Prostitutes very humorous especially Emily Corcoran who also wrote the movie.

Recommended
2 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
$4 million on a cliche?
sherlocknecir6 June 2020
An intriguing beginning -- you know the type that inspires you to put the movie on pause while you sneak away to microwave some popcorn and hurry back to tap the pause button again. Wow! the film even starts off with a specific year, signaling a well researched historical background to an era in New Zealand few know about. And double Wow! the producer was endowed with a $4 million budget to get really creative. Alas, the popcorn turned out to be more interesting than The Stolen. Hanni Calder, the 1971 western heroine, did a 360 in her grave. The promise was a revenge thriller about a sophisticated aristocrat using her London smarts to outfox a group of grunting bumpkins in the mindless wastelands of 19th century New Zealand. That was the promise. Well you now know what was delivered -- a cliche and a disappointing one at that. No surprise the film has only taken in $27,741 so far.
4 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.