Ready Player One (2018) Poster

Totally awesome movie
UniqueParticle4 October 2020
I should've reviewed sooner just was thrown my off from the negativity and didn't know what to say. Despite everything I love this movie for what it is maybe cause I'm a gamer, Spielberg is incredible at his craft and don't mind Ready Player One for it's flaws! The movie is awesome, I like the way it was written, the Easter eggs, Soundtrack, cinematography, and story. I didn't read the book I'm sure it's excellent too. Tye Sheridan, Mark Rylance, and Ben Mendelssohn are magnificent in my opinion! This film deserves more credit/appreciation.
4 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
VR Troopers
hellraiser71 May 2018
The world of reality and imagination can sometimes be a razors edge line we walk on. Everyday as we go out to reality we always find ways to escape reality for mere moments from putting on a VR set or just simply daydreaming. However, in those times as we imagine or experience ourselves doing something else and being someone else, it tends to corollate with our dreams of what we want in our reality and somehow finding the way to one day make our dreams come true. Steven Spielberg another one of my favorite movie directors (no surprise) believe it or not this is my forth favorite film from but also one of my favorite movies in general. Anyway, down to business this film just like the book to me is a dream come true, it is both a love letter to Gamers and fans of pop culture but also a story from all it's visual icing has a heart.

The visual effects are just fantastic, I really love the look of the Oasis it is just a visual feast for the eyes, the whole place is sort of the ultimate open world video game. From the amount of color, character animation, structures, you name it, it really is a place the blurs the line as it looks both real and unreal. It's the kind of place I'd love to one day visit as you can pretty much do, go anywhere, and be anything you want; I could make my own avatar or even use the avatar image of "Robocop" or "Judge Dredd" and I could go shoot down some evil yoma with Sailor Mars and the Sailor Senchi; well you get the drift of it anything you want to do, do it.

I also like the dystopian futuristic world that is conceived which I feel is plausible, as we see the real world is practically a scrapyard of itself. There is defiantly an overpopulation problem which has caused a spacing issue as we see most people whom have not much money are forced to live in this trailer park called the Stacks which are literally stacks of trailers on top of each other much like with the mega blocks in "Judge Dredd" only no one is living in a super-sized condo. But what makes the world even more dreary is how a corporation can literally become a tyrannical force, the corporation in this film is much like "OCP" in "Robocop" as it literally has a stranglehold over most of the worlds resources and functions, including the technology we possess and livelihood. However, the most disturbing aspect to me of this corporation is how they have this VR cube structures where they imprison people that owe the company some dealt and make them work it out, which they never will because the company keeps increasing it just, so we make less to no money and they make more; it's literally Slavery. It just shows how evil this corporation is as it's flushed all it's sense of morality and humanity down the toilet, just to continue making fast profits while feeding on people's misery.

There are tons of references, this film is just jammed full of them it would take more than one watch just to get them all. For anyone that is expensed in pop culture you will easily spot and get them which is endearing. Though the film is also kind of educational for rookies to pop culture that never heard about films like "Back to the Future" or video games like "Adventure", seeing those things in this film will cause them to research or simply try them out.

The action and adventure are great, it goes at a good pace. From that race which is cool, where you get to drive any car of your choice or creation. With Percival it was the DeLorean from "Back to the Future", me if I was ever in that game it would be the Batmobile from the 1989 film. The final battle sequence is awesome, it's probably my honorable mention of favorite battles of all time. It's literally like a live action "Where's Waldo" art illustration as there are so many colorful avatars, some you would easily recognize, even certain weapons like one which got the big cheer, I won't say what it is but if you know your fantasy films from the 80's you know what weapon is referred to.

The scavenger hunt which is thought provoking, each of the challenges are a riddle. The riddles are tricky as they contain hidden meanings in the words and red herrings to throw players off. But like most riddles the solution is simple it just doesn't seem that way at first, and you can solve them yourself if you know your nostalgia history and relics but also listened to most of Halliday's history carefully.

The characters are solid, from the villains Sorrento (Ben Mendelsoln) he's a good villain, he's pretty much a unlikable corporate scumbag that doesn't give a toss about anyone except his own money and power which he has more than enough of. But like all greedy bastards more just isn't enough, this guy wants absolute power and he'll do anything to get it and maintain his stranglehold over the world.

One thing about him is how he tries real hard at passing himself off as cool but isn't. Despite all the luxury he has like that big chair, in a big office space he really is nothing but the suit he puts on everyday. One scene that was interesting was when he was trying to get Perceval/Wade to work for him, as he's doing this he is trying to make references but it's not his own words it's the words of one of his sell out nerds that work for him. It just shows this guy is a real poser he's probably never even seen a John Hughes movie or played the video game "Robotron". Let alone intellectually bankrupt as he must have a whole division of nerds and geeks solve the riddles and play the game for him, which isn't fair.

The subordinate villainess F'Nale Zandor is also good. The actress Hannah John-Karmen is hot, she is pretty much is the living embodiment of corporate b.... She is kind of his muscle/go two person as she wants to win at all costs even if it means breaking the law.

And of course, we have the good guys the VR Troopers. The supporting heroes Acha/Helen, Sho, Daito are decent, we get a bit of a good feel for them they have unique personas, a good back and forth but they really help.

But the two characters that really stand out are Perceval/Wade and Artimis/Samantha. Both are cool characters they have good personas from Perceval/Wade whom I can relate to because he's a bit like myself as he's a causal geek that loves gaming and pop culture from the past to present. He's sort of on the shy side as he not one of the popular people not even in the VR world and is attracted to girls that seem unattainable, but despite that fact he does try anyway if not successful at first.

Olivia Cookie as Artimis/Samantha I think is lovely inside and out, as she really has some fire and feistiness. But I really like her sense of maturity and selflessness as she is determined to win the game for a noble cause. But also helps slowly but surely open Wade's eyes to not just reality but herself. I really like the chemistry between both as there are sparks flying that is starting to build a small fire. The back and forth between them is fun and touching. I really liked that dance sequence in that hover dance club which was fun, but it was really when both meet up and interact in the real world is where this chemistry really crackles. The Achilles heel both had were that they we both insecure about their looks and what the other would think of once they saw each other in real life. But once both do they aren't disappointed by what they see, sure they may not look oh so perfect the avatars they run but when they see each other it's at least real. Wade sees one physical feature that sort of makes Samantha an outcast and it's the birthmark on her face, but it doesn't bother Wade in fact he doesn't even care about it because he had feelings for her for who she is on the inside, it didn't matter what she looked like to him, she really looks lovely all the same; likewise, for Samantha as she sees Wade looks like any ordinary teen. But also, both along with their supporting characters are all underdogs, all of them have had pretty much been crapped on by the corporation and life. The corporation has had more then they need while all of them bare have much to anything, which more makes me want this team to win because they deserve it and their motives are genuine they want to not just make their own lives better but the existence they inhabit.

The film does have some good messages, from the importance of fandom and pop culture but also not to let video games and technology be your whole life, their ok occasionally, but you also got to know when to unplug and tune into reality. But also, that we really do have the power to make our existence better we just have to believe in ourselves enough to do it and things will get better.

If you're a gamer or even a rookie in it, fan of nostalgia, a person from the 80 or any decade, or even just a fan of sci-fi, like any good game it's worth a try.

Ready Player One scores.

Rating: 4 stars
0 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The Wizard of Oz, Willy Wonka, and Tron all rolled up into one.
DarkVulcan292 April 2018
In the year 2045 where there is not of anything except THE OASIS, a gaming system world, where anybody can go into the avatars they create, the creator of THE OASIS has died, but before that he left clues in the system, and when that someone finds the clues and makes it to the end, will own THE OASIS. And for five years nothing has been uncovered, until Wade( Tye Sheridan ) begins to stumble upon a clue, and starts to go further, but a big cooperation will stop at nothing to make sure he doesn't.

Steven Spielberg really shows he's still got, I'd sit through this more times then A Wrinkle In Time. The effects are enjoyable, so where the pop culture references, and yeah there are plenty of them. Although through the first part when in the real world it was pretty dull, but that got better has it went. Scenes in THE OASIS are also fun. The actors play there roles perfectly, everybody just really shines. Sometimes it's not about the ending, but more about the journey, and Ready Player One is a prime example of that.
0 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
An Honest Review
generationofswine11 March 2019
Wait, I didn't review this yet? How did I forget?

What we have here is honest Nostalgia Candy, not the forced rebranding rebooting and reimaging that we are seeing in Hollywood today. It doesn't rely on a familiar brand to sell tickets to a movie that has nothing to do with the brand and really, ultimately trashes it.

Rather, it relies on nostalgia to tell a fun, dynamic, and entertaining story that features all the glorious creations that we loved back when, well, back when Hollywood was still making glorious creations.

And, because of that, you walk away totally satisfied.
Virtual Virtuosity
3xHCCH24 March 2018
"Ready Player One" was first a sci-fi novel written by Ernest Cline, published in 2011. Warner Bros. saw so much potential in this novel, they bought the rights for its film version a full year before it was even published. Cline adapted his own book into a script, with the assistance of veteran screenwriter Zak Penn. With Steven Spielberg signing on to direct in 2015, this film had all the ingredients for a blockbuster film.

It is 2045. Wade Watt was an orphaned young man who lived in the "Stacks," a dystopian slum neighborhood in Columbus, Ohio. Like everyone else at that time, Wade spent his days going inside the OASIS, a virtual world where people can do anything they desire. As his avatar Parzival, Wade wanted to win the game challenge left by the late OASIS inventor James Halliday -- where anyone who can win three keys leading to an Easter Egg hidden somewhere in the OASIS will inherit full ownership of the Halliday's invention.

I first saw lead actor Tye Sheridan in 2015 in two thematically diverse films like "Scout's Guide to the Zombie Apocalypse" (MY REVIEW) and "Dark Places" (MY REVIEW). He then made a strong impression as the young Cyclops in "X-Men: Apocalypse" (2016). His role here as Wade Watts is bound to launch this young 21-year old actor into super-stardom. Although half of the time, we see him as his avatar Parzival, Sheridan ably carried the whole film on his shoulders in both the action and drama components of his role.

His group of friends in the OASIS were a diverse bunch of very skilled video game geeks. Lena Waithe played Helen Harris, whose OASIS identity Aech was a musclebound male techie and Wade's best friend. Win Morisaki and Philip Zhao play Japanese gamers Toshiro and Akihide whose avatars were samurai Daito and ninja Shoto respectively. Olivia Cooke played Samantha Cook, a rebel activist in real life and Wade's cyber crush Art3mis virtually. Although the book does not have a follow-up, it does not seem impossible if we see this group again in a future sequel for further adventures of The High Five.

Mark Rylance was not easily recognized in his unkempt long-haired geek make-up as the eccentric James Halliday, the timid genius who developed a virtual world to escape the loneliness of the real world. Simon Pegg played Halliday's only friend and business partner Ogden Morrow, who later became estranged due to their divergent philosophies.

Veteran character actor Ben Mendehlson played the main antagonist character Nolan Sorrento, CEO of the Innovative Online Industries or IOI, manufacturers of virtual reality hardware. He hired an entire army of virtual warriors in order to win Halliday's Easter Egg in order for IOI to gain control of the whole OASIS. There was so much subtle tongue-in-cheek humor in his portrayal of a ruthless character. T.J. Miller stole scenes as virtual mercenary i-R0k whom Sorrento hired to do his virtual mayhem.

This film was so much fun to watch with all the pop culture references that abound in it. You'd need repeated watching of this film to catch all those little juicy details hidden in the scenes and the dialogue. You will see King Kong, Mecha-Godzilla, Gundam, the Iron Giant in all their glory, and catch glimpses of the Batmobile, the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Tony Manero's disco moves and many more.

The musical soundtrack was steeped in 1980s pop songs, beginning with Van Halen's "Jump" from the opening scene, and citations of a-ha and Duran Duran. There were rich references to 1980s movies with mentions of names like John Hughes, Ferris Bueller and Buckaroo Banzai. Parzival's car is a DeLorean from "Back to the Future." There was entire elaborate segment dedicated to a tribute to the horror classic "The Shining" (Stanley Kubrick, 1980), in what is probably the most fun part of the whole film.

Watching a film like this in 3D IMAX is very much worth the additional ticket expense. The computer-generated world of OASIS really came alive three-dimensionally for the audience as they are drawn in and immersed into what is practically what the characters were virtually seeing and experiencing in their heads.

From the 1970s all the way to the 1990s, Steven Spielberg had given us some of the most engaging adventure films of all time both by young film fans and old -- "Jaws" (1974), "Close Encounters of the Third Kind" (1977), "Raiders of the Lost Ark" (1981), "E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial" (1982), "Jurassic Park" (1993). It is only now that Spielberg had again handled material that showed that he still had that magic touch when it comes to directing these types of films, making them connect with audiences of all generations. 10/10.
134 out of 289 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
An epic, nostalgic film filled to the brim with pop culture
rannynm12 April 2018
Ready Player One is an epic, nostalgic film filled to the brim with pop culture references. It has characters you can really connect to and a digital world we all dream about. It has all sorts of exiting scenes such as races, puzzles, battles and so many others. This film is based on the book Ready Player One by Ernest Cline. They adapted the book very smoothly into film.

Ready Player One takes place in the year 2045. James Halliday creates the OASIS, a completely virtual world that everyone uses to escape their reality. After his death, a competition begins to find the Easter egg in the OASIS. Whoever finds the egg will have complete control over the OASIS. Wade and his friends try to win this competition and stop IOI from beating them for total control of the OASIS. It is filled with twists that make it hard to predict what will happen next even after reading the book.

I loved all the references in this film. Just to note some there was the Iron Giant, King Kong, Batman, The DeLorean and Martin the Martian. The special effects were also incredible. I really enjoyed the effect whenever someone changed their skin in the OASIS. I also enjoyed the mix between animated and live action characters. This is impressive because it's hard to make these two styles be near each other without one being out of place. I really liked how the world seemed like a fantasy people have today yet is also a dystopia at the same time.

My favorite part was the introduction to the OASIS. This scene was really impressive and had so much squeezed in. I also liked the scene were the common people attacked IOI. These scenes both showed a huge variety of different characters all from different parts of pop culture. I enjoyed Mark Rylance's acting in this film. He filled the role of James Halliday brilliantly. He was very erratic yet sincere and made the character relatable even in extreme circumstances.

The song choices in this film were great. I particularly enjoyed the use of the original King Kong theme.

Overall, I give this film 5 out of 5 stars and strongly recommend it to anyone ages 7 through 18 because people under 7 wouldn't be entertained by all the references if they haven't experienced the things being referred to. I also believe adults will strongly enjoy it.

Reviewed by Rohan F., KIDS FIRST! Film Critic. For more reviews by youth, visit kidsfirst dot org.
I understood that reference.jpg
phanthinga31 March 2018
The concept of become your favorite characters in any form of entertainment is nothing new for this generation because before Ready Player One we already have the VR technology and a handful of YouTube video like Video Game High School series so to see it finally being made with this much of love by Steven Spielberg is simply mind blowing.My opinion about this movie may change in the future after I read the actual book but up until that day Ready Player One is awesome
0 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Another Steven Spielberg classic.
Anurag-Shetty1 April 2018
Ready Player One tells the story of Parzival/Wade(Tye Sheridan). In 2045 Anorak/Halliday(Mark Rylance), the creator of an immersive Virtual Reality universe called OASIS, passes away. He instructs all the members of OASIS, to find a hidden Easter Egg within his universe. The finder of the Egg will be rewarded with Halliday's fortune.

Ready Player One is a mind-blowing film. Veteran director Steven Spielberg strikes gold, yet again. This movie can be added to the vast array of Spielberg classics like, Jaws(1975), E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial(1982), Jurassic Park(1993), The Adventures of Tintin(2011) & so many more. The visual effects are awe-inspiring. The motion capture technology is a marvel to look at. The 3D is eye-popping. The action set pieces & '80s references are the highlights of the film. Along with all the dazzling action, there is plenty of comedy & emotional heft to the movie, as well. Tye Sheridan is brilliant as Parzival/Wade. Olivia Cooke is spectacular as Art3mis/Samantha. Ben Mendelsohn is superb as Sorrento. Lena Waithe is fantastic as Aech/Helen. T.J. Miller is hysterical as I-R0k. Simon Pegg is great as Ogden Morrow. Mark Rylance is outstanding as Anorak/Halliday. Philip Zhao is adorable as Sho. Win Morisaki is awesome as Daito. Hannah John-Kamen, Ralph Ineson & Susanna Lynch are good as F'Nale Zandor, Rick & Alice, respectively. Ready Player One is a must watch for everyone. Go, relive those yesteryear memories.
A Love Letter to Pop Culture with Heart
KalKenobi8322 April 2018
Watched Ready Player One The Cast Was Stellar With Tye Sheridan(X-Men Apocalypse) as Wade Watts/Parzival ,The Lovely Olivia Cooke(Me And Earl and The Dying Girl ) as Samantha Cook/Art3mis, Lena Waithe(Dear White People) as Helen Harris/Aech, T.J. Miller(Deadpool) as i-R0K,,Simon Pegg(Star Wars:The Force Awakens) as Ogden Morrow/Curator, Newcomer Phillip Zhaoas Sho/Zhou, Win Morisaki(Shelly) as Daito/Toshiro,Hannah John-Kamen(Tomb Raider) as F'nale Zandor, Ben Mendelshon(Rogue One:A Star Wars Story) as Nolan Sorrento and Oscar Winner Mark Rylance(Dunkirk) as James Halliday/Amarak.

The Film was great another fantastic Spielberg Blockbuster this more than just pop culture references this film stands on its own the characters were well developed also dug the romance between Wade and Olivia and the characters were great loved the High Five also Mendelsohn was a great Villain as well in Nolan Sorentto as an elitist who trys to understand Pop Culture but doesnt get it I loved the references as well nice seeing Tracer from Overwatch which i became a fan of last fall also Rexy from Jurassic park, The Delorean from Back to The Future , The Xenomorph from Aliens and Han Solo's Holster from Star Wars My all time favorite Movie

Amazing Cinematography by Januz Kamirisnki(The BFG) ,Amazing Writing By Zak Penn(The Avengers) ,Steven Spielberg(The Post), Fantastic Costume design from Kasia Walicka-Maimone(Deepwater Horizon) and Amazing Score from Alan Silvestri(Back To The Future) A Love Letter to Pop Culture with heart 10/10
0 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
golden moments comes once in a while are you ready to hunt in a virtual oasis to let your imagination rule unlimited you can find a fortune just rework the creators own life
lark4013 April 2018
Ready player one 2hrs 10 minute of pure exhilartion from speilberg at his most best he loves fantasy and this is pure magic set in a world were everyone is using vr and avatars theres a message in here that we need to stick the real world this movie is set in 2045 and involves the world being completely obsessed with the 1980s some 90 s and 2000 . this film feels like old school with old video games I haven't read the book but the film is 10/10 so we have mark rylance character he has created this online world with a challenge that no body or obsessed companies can break his oasis is a riddle and halliday has died and created a challenge to find answers to questions and obstacles to clues to figure his ambition of his life

so with many hidden clues in his work and his clues are so close to home you have to think outside outside of his box who left his immense fortune and total control of the Oasis to the winner of a three-part contest wade is a kid who needs a distraction from life as he lives in a wasterland he goes to his hideaway but he gives him self away as he has cracked the clue but the world is after him as we see the delorean car from back to the future a virtual batman climb everest he designed to find a worthy heir. When Wade conquers the first challenge of the reality-bending treasure hunt, he and his friends-aka the High Five-are hurled into a fantastical universe of discovery and danger to save the OASIs and find any golden oportunities to find the main goal the easter eggs with so many of speilbegs films an others mentioned the higlight was the shinning film challenge great work with Art3mis and pararizal chemistry on the virual dancefloor watch him the magic flow you will have nightmares seeing chucky doing his slice and dice I found a lot more than i could find i was watching see if could find loads and I found many more you'll enjoy the challenge your self and refernces to singers great battle scenes the story is good as the online hq has a shield with a powerful orb holding it together look for all over the screen to see the figures from all the movies fight in a snow covered battle scenes with you will have nightmares seeing chucky doing his slice and dice and lots of super monsters bashing the hell outof one another simon pegg character is ogdoen morrow he his a geek but has the job to help challenges pavarizal logic seeks answers but tries not to make it easy for him but ultimatley the extra is his key to surival of the quest the lead characters play their avatars well Parzival / WadeArt3mis / Samantha great at their boggie nights in the virtual world as well as upgrading their weapons as the battle corporate gaints online and in the real world quite litterly with a race with every obstacle throwing at you to win the first challenge in new york going on the subway avoiding certain animals but can he figure how hallday works as clues my not what they seem I won't spoil anymore than it's a visual treat there is a twist but that would be giving it away any more easter eggs surprises 10/10 enjoy
Spielberg + Virtual Reality = READY PLAYER ONE
virek2136 April 2018
After the huge artistic and commercial success of his 1993 Holocaust epic SCHINDLER'S LIST, director Steven Spielberg may not have totally abandoned the style of action/adventure films he had initiated back in 1981 with RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK, but he was determined to balance both commercial properties with riskier artistic projects, a trend that has been quite successful for him, right into the 21st century. Films like AMISTAD, SAVING PRIVATE RYAN, MUNICH, BRIDGE OF SPIES, and THE POST have balanced themselves alongside more crowd-pleasing fare as THE LOST WORLD: JURASSIC PARK, CATCH ME IF YOU CAN, and THE BFG. And then in 2018, he came up with his most audacious project to date, the futuristic virtual reality action/adventure opus READY PLAYER ONE.

Based on the novel of the same name by Ernest Cline (he also co-wrote the screenplay, with Zach Penn), and set in the year 2045, the film stars Tye Sheridan as something of a techno-geek whose only solace from his bleak "real world" existence is in the futuristic virtual reality world known as The Oasis; and he is by no means alone. The Oasis is a place created by an eccentric video genius named James Halliday (Mark Rylance, who won a Best Supporting Actor in 2015 for BRIDGE OF SPIES) and another man named Ogden Morrow (Simon Pegg); and just before Rylance passes away, he offers ownership of the Oasis and a mammoth sum of "coin" ($250 billion, to be exact) if the right contestant can find the "Easter egg" hidden inside the world of the Oasis. Sheridan takes up the challenge, along with Olivia Cooke, and three other players he calls the "Hi Five" to get the three keys that will unlock the clues that eventually lead to Rylance's quarter-trillion dollar Easter egg. But in the meantime, they must battle an underhanded corporate tycoon (Ben Mendelsohn) who is equally anxious to get his hands on that Easter egg. In between the cross-cutting from the "real" reality to the "virtual" reality, Sheridan, Cooke, and company go on a huge, visually mind-busting sequence of adventures in the Oasis relating to examples of American pop culture from the late 1970s into the 21st century, including references to KING KONG, GODZILLA, the first two BACK TO THE FUTURE films (both of which Spielberg was executive producer on), A NIGHTMARE ON ELM STREET, and, even more shockingly (not to mention amusingly), THE SHINING.

It has to be said that a film of this sort, being helmed even by a director known for frequent sensory impacts (including the "Indiana Jones" films and the first two JURASSIC PARK projects), can seem a bit much; and indeed, READY PLAYER ONE is a bit like the ultimate in sensory overload. Sound-wise, READY PLAYER ONE may very well be the loudest film Spielberg has directed since the 1979 World War II comedy "1941", whose loud explosions, raucous dogfights, and insane mugging by the actors totally drowned out whatever comedy Spielberg might have indeed for that film. The earlier film was also the first instance of Spielberg playing homage to himself (references to DUEL and JAWS were there in "1941"); and apart from the occasional JURASSIC PARK and BACK TO THE FUTURE references, Spielberg stays away from those here (though Cline was known to be a huge Spielberg admirer). Instead, he chooses to highlight other aspects of 1980s culture (along with the Alan Silvestri score that sounds a fair amount like what he did for the BACK TO THE FUTURE series). The most prominent 1980s homage is to THE SHINING, notably its virtual reality recreation of that film's sinister Overlook Hotel and scenes like the horrific hag in Room 237 and the tsunami of blood.

Spielberg actually had READY PLAYER ONE finished in the spring of 2017, intending it for a Christmas 2017 release; but once STAR WARS: THE LAST JEDI was set for release, he held off until the Easter weekend of 2018, and instead polished off (with seemingly little haste) THE POST. The re-juggling clearly didn't affect the quality of this film (or THE POST, for that matter); and while READY PLAYER ONE can be faulted at times for its emphasis on sound and spectacle (a rare thing for Spielberg, but an all-too-frequent thing for a lot of other 21st century Hollywood blockbusters), it has to be said that Sheridan and Cooke make an appealing young couple; and Rylance turns in another fine performance as the eccentric video game genius. In the end, READY PLAYER ONE is a rarity in Hollywood, in that it's a blockbuster that requires a lot of concentration. But Spielberg, it seems, wouldn't have had it any other way.
Superb fun
sbweightman28 September 2018
A superb family action adventure movie full of spectacular special effects and tons of video game and pop culture references. Exciting and thrilling, but also heartwarming and comical thanks to the great cast, likeable characters and moral messages. Entertaining throughout, the plot initially seems a bit simple as it follows video game logic, but there's a lot more to it and with something always going on, it's never boring. It's not perfect - the villain is a bit of a letdown and it drags a bit at the end, but it is a visual treat and relatively topical with the ever growing and ever-changing gamer culture.
2 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
If you grew up in the 80's you're going to lose it over this one!
stevenrotherforth5 April 2018
Ready Player One.

The trailers for this movie did just enough to tantalise without giving too much away. Ready Player One is a visual feast that is chock full of pop culture references. 70's 80's and 90's nostalgia is rife through out. Director Steven Spielberg had huge success during these times and his love and affection for the 80's in particular is all too apparent. Ready Player One is based on the novel of the same name by Ernest Cline and tells the story of Wade. An ordinary kid living in desperate times where the only solace is to escape to the Oasis. The Oasis is a virtual world where with the help of a VR headset anymore can become anybody. This magical world is up for grabs as the deceased creator Halliday (played with relish by Mark Rylance) has hidden a special Easter egg that will grant the finder ownership and control over the whole virtual universe. Just as software and technology companies battle for superiority in our real world, they do also here. As corporate baddy Sorrento (Ben Mendelsohn)will stop at nothing to get the easter egg first.

There's much joy to be had in seeing fond childhood heroes and villains all blended together with famous vehicles and nostalgic scenes of movies gone by. The opening chase sequence is jaw droppingly good, done to perfection like only Steven Spielberg can. I constantly found myself with mouth agape transported back to my childhood. The worlds greatest movie director has done it again. It would be criminal of me to give anything away. Just go observe on the biggest IMAX 3D screen you can find and be prepared to lose your sh*t! Anyone who grew up in the 80's will be blown away by this and the many references and revisits to beloved movies and characters of the past.

Performances by all are superb. Tye Sheridan is typical Spielberg movie youth hero. Ben Mendelsohn is proving to be the go to man if you want the best villain in the business. I didn't think he could top his turn as nasty Imperial leader Orson Krennic from Rogue One but he does here.

Special effects are mind bending. Sound is mind blowing and the musical score hits all the right emotions. This movie is a cinematic masterpiece but I feel just like many a true legend it may not get the recognition it deserves. For those born and raised during the eras this film reflects on you're all going to have a blast. For those who were to young or simply not around at the time many references will be wasted. A good example is with The Shining, one of the worlds most famous horror movies. If you haven't seen it a large portion of this movie will be lost on you. As for the rest of you, you're in for a real treat. A treat that may bring back childhood nightmares, but a treat nonetheless.

Ready Player One is a return to form for Steven Spielberg. Not that he lost any form in the first place. More of the fact that this movie sees him doing the sort of awe inspiring cinema that made him famous throughout the 70's and 80's.
Awesome Film
akshatmahajan15 August 2018
Film was awesome. Story , direction , acting, special effects etc etc... Everything was at its best.. Film grapped me for full running time.. I am eagerly waiting for its sequel (if any is coming)
5 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I really liked this movie.
p-jonsson23 September 2018
I did not know what I would really think about it when I started to watch this movie. I hoped that I would like it but I was not sure what I would actually get. I used to like Steven Spielberg a lot but later in his career he's done movies that either was not my kind of movies or that I was simply not that impressed by. However, as it turned out, this one I liked a lot as you can see from my rating.

As a computer nerd and science fiction geek this movie was of course right up my alley. I have thought other movies would be my kind of movies before but been sorely disappointed by ignorant and incompetent screen writers and directors trying to cash in on subjects that they knew absolutely nothing about. Spielberg did a good job of not screwing this one up.

The core of this movie is of course plenty of action and computer generated special effects with a somewhat apocalyptic story to bind everything together. The story works but it is not really anything special and some of the stuff, like the loyalty centers, was frankly a bit silly. But, as I wrote, it works and does not get in the way so that's good enough for me.

As the previously mentioned nerd and geek I absolutely loved the abundant references to science fiction, fantasy and gaming history and lore. For me those were soo cool. I will probably watch the movie again just to focus on the background and see how much stuff I can spot. Stuff that I missed when watching the movie the first time.

The CGI effects and the action was also pretty awesome. The movie starts off right away with a great and absolutely insanely wild car race and continues to go strong from there. The battle at Doom castle at the end is just epic.

The only thing that made me go WTF was at the end (SPOILER AHEAD) were Mr A$$wipe Sorrento finally catches up with the High Five's van and then he just freezes and looks at Wade with a silly look on his face. What the f... was that? Just stupid for no good reason.

Well, few are the movies where there's nothing to gripe about. On the whole though this movie was great in my book. Also, I cannot say how pleased I am to finally watch a Hollywood movie that is not a remake or a sequel or a prequel or some other lame excuse to rehash a movie that has already been made.
The OASIS
colewaters3 April 2018
Ready Player One will take your breath away. I hope the OASIS is going to be a real thing because this was one heck of a movie.
READY PLAYER ONE
arjunflamingfeather3 December 2018
READY PLAYER ONE In a theatre it was a stunner to us with students from districts around attending that conference.
0 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
One of the best of 2018!!
jamiedarlow-3751015 February 2020
An absolute masterpiece filled with fantasy spectacle, true romance, edge of your seat thrills and a wonderful message. Set in a dystopian future where the virtual reality platform Oasis has become everyone's central form of escapism, it's a world that is expertly crafted from a team who genuinely love video games and films and it's a film that perfectly encapsulates and projects the beautiful marriage of video gaming and cinema, where the two worlds collide fantastically. Pop culture references a plenty and there's two sequences involving one of the greatest horror films ever made and one of the greatest horror characters ever made that made me gasp with joy at just how great of a tribute it was to those films (the same feeling occurred when The Iron Giant appears; fond memories of Brad Bird's beautiful animation in 1999) Visually incredible but also has a truly engaging story with characters you love and want to spend time around; thanks to a great script adapted for the screen by Ernest Cline, who had written the original novel, and co writer Zak Penn (The Incredible Hulk, Inspector Gadget) and great performances by Tye Sheridan, Olivia Cooke, Mark Rylance, Lena Waithe, Simon Pegg and Ben Mendleson. Not forgetting a hilarious role by T.J Miller as I-R0k! Amazing soundtrack (Hall and Oates and Twisted Sister being two particular highlights) in a similar style to Scott Pilgrim vs the World in which straight after I bought the soundtrack and couldn't stop thinking about the visuals! Ready Player One features great dedicated performances and shows Steven Spielberg at the top of his directorial mastery
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Visually stunning
henrycoles930 January 2020
I was actually shocked to see Steven Spielberg's name on such a CGI-laden movie about a virtual reality game. It was so excellent in every way: the acting, the story, the CGI. I loved it!
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Excellent Movie!!
eskimosound21 December 2018
There's a reason why Spielberg Movies are so good, it's because he is such a good director and this just makes him shine.

I can't imagine how complicated this was to shoot let alone act.

It's a fantastic achievement and glorious movie.

Spielberg at his best.

A must watch..
0 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Even more fun than an actual rollercoaster ride.
patriciogl105 November 2019
I was taken aback by this film. I had low expectations yet a keen attitude to watch it because of Mr. Spielberg. What first strikes you like a boxer's punch is the outstanding visual aesthetic and the incredible blend of animation and reality. This is how CGI should be used and applied; the merge is flawlessly seamless. The amount of easter eggs is astounding, and you actually enjoy yourself while spotting them. When you know you are getting a whole lot of pop culture references you keep an eye on every detail possible, so I believe that enriches the viewing experience.

The direction is impecable; while this is an effort far from Spielberg's usuals it is still very Spielberg-esque in pretty much every aspect you can think of. I'm really glad he is still making great action adventure films like he used to; but now with the added dimension of being modern and even more spectacular in scale, with a strong nostalgic hint, product of what Spielberg's figure represents. The story is remarkably fun, and engaging all the way; Tye Sheridan and Olivia Cooke prove to be a fairly good pairing that slowly develop a chemistry greatly supplied to the screen. Ben Mendelsohn strikes hard yet again with a fabulous villainous turn as the corporate boss who hunts down players in order to seek the Easter Egg for himself.

Ready Player One is an electrifying rollercoaster ride embedded with a factory of allusions to the entertainment culture which is ten times more exciting than an actual rollercoaster ride, but with a Spielberg signature at the end.
Ready Player One
bhernandez22163 April 2019
Ready Player One is enjoyable film to watch, based on an incredible novel by: Ernest Cline, especially if you play video games in VR: Virtual Reality. You can create your own avatar and how play and win all challenge to win 3 keys, because reality, is the only thing, that's real.

First to the key, first to the egg.
I got the message
Hallelujah28928 June 2019
After watching nihilistic TV series "Westworld," Steven Spielberg's geeky love letter "Ready Player One" came as welcome relief. Like "Westworld," "Ready Player One" deals with the pitfalls of technology and at times, the mercilessness of the powerful, however where "Westworld" falls into indulgent shoot 'em up "Ready Player One" actually has something to say about the disenfranchised coming together in a constructive, rather than violent way. The stories and the focus may be different, but in a similar landscape of advanced gameplay technology "Ready Player One" shines as the story I want to remember, because it shows the best and the worst of human nature.

"Ready Player One" impresses because it while it is a PG-13 family film it shows the consequences of violence in appropriate ways. Characters can hurt, their family can get hurt, and adults don't always think much of children or their mortal lives. While calling out treachery (especially of conglomerates), "Ready Player One" also showcases the worth of friendship and the penalty of sacrifice. Friends willing to risk what is most valuable to them make for deep connections in the film, and sometimes ten year olds are people whose character we can aspire to. Children's films like "Smallfoot" which also came out in 2018 don't connect because there is no risk so there is no reward, and also there is no connection to the characters. Unlike in "Smallfoot," what I enjoy about "Ready Player One" is its consistency and the way it goes there if it really is gonna go there. Stephen Spielberg doesn't shy away from showing an emotional brutality that can exist, but he also doesn't shy away from what can replace that given the chance.

Not having watched any trailers, I didn't know what to expect with "Ready Player One," but I enjoyed its mix of retro 80s soundtrack and advanced CGI. I haven't read the book. I didn't even know there was one. But I did enjoy the film on its own merits, and most of all for the kind of open-eyed (instead of blind) optimism it has. I really feel like this is an excellent film for reasons that goes beyond its production values. No, I didn't always enjoy the character designs or kind of the fact that both the lead actor and the creator of OASIS remind me of the way Stephen Spielberg looks like (although I don't really begrudge a harmless nod at self-portrait, if that's the case), but still I enjoyed the kind of values like integrity and teamwork and loyalty that went into the film, enough so I want to recommend it to everybody in today's jaded era.
Surprisingly good
nkishudak6 May 2020
I never thought I will watch this movie, but I had the opportunity to stream it free and I thought I give a try. I loved all the pop culture references, the music and the story is okay. I was really surprised. Worth the time.
1 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I just want more easter eggs \o/
nethy-nho6 February 2019
The movie is what I waited and more and more. The idea of the movie is so clever and succeeded pretty much, all characters have a personality very well explored. The references is the best part and find all them sounds impossible. I loved the visual effects, the story, the mistery, the enigmas and I want more!