Ready Player One (2018)
Parents GuideAdd to guide
Showing all 42 items
|MPAA||Rated PG-13 for sequences of sci-fi action violence, bloody images, some suggestive material, partial nudity and language|
Sex & Nudity
- 01:06:45-A woman is seen slowly lifting herself out of a bath. All nudity is covered by the camera angle but her bare back is seen (no nudity)
- Art3mis has a low cut dress and can see sides of her breasts while dancing with Parzival
- 00:46:11-A man and woman are dancing and the woman slides her hands up to his chest. She starts rubbing his shoulders and the camera cuts away to the man in a VR suit.
- 01:07:00-The lady from the bathtub turns into an old lady, and she chases characters around, however she is withered so you can't see any nudity.
- Towards the beginning, the main character makes a reference to a motel world in the virtual world, as he's talking about a casino where he says "you can get money loose money get divorced." He then stops as the camera shows a neon-ish building and he says "you can go there." Very mild
- During a fight scene with Nolan near the "adventure" game towards the end of the movie, Nolan gets kicked in the crotch.
- There are very very mild crude references: a villain jokes about the 'hos' of Father Christmas and a brief reference to a club.
- In the dancing scene she floats through air rubbing up against his crotch. It cuts to his suit lighting up in his lower half to show he is feeling it in real life.
Violence & Gore
- There are several slightly prolonged sequences of action and violence. Violence takes place in a virtual battlefield. Real injuries are not sustained; their avatars disintegrate into coins instead.
- A building is blown up
- A guy gets his arm cut off in a video game and coins instead of blood and gore spill out. (no blood and occurs in a non realistic like manner)
- A woman is kicked out of the back of a moving van by a boy still playing a video game, she lands on the road and rolls.
- An avatar is kicked in the groin by another avatar. A shot in the real world shows a glow on his outfit inbetween his legs where he was hit, he limps out of his chair.
- In the virtual world, when people die, they explode into coins.
- The Grady Twins from the Shining are seen but not covered in blood in the virtual world, but it was shot with an actual camera.
- A young woman 'deteriorates' into a zombie-like monster. This is intense and would be quite scary for little children. She then chases a character with an axe. Later there is another scene with many zombies. They are dancing, and there are close-up shots of their gross faces. During the dancing, their limbs are being bent and crushed when a character has to dance with them and avoid falling (pretty comical).
- Blood comes out of an elevator
- Most of the violence is between players in a virtual reality world where wounds are fantastical and participants cannot be seriously harmed. There are battle sequences, shooting and martial arts style combat. In the real world, there is hand-to-hand violence, without sight of injury. A man punches the face of his 17 year old son
- The only sight of blood is when it comes out of an elevator
- The word "shit" or a form of it is used 15 times. The words, "ass", "broke ass", "asshole" and "badass" are used once each. The phrase, "God damn" is used twice (two words apart not together). The phrase, "douche bag" is used once. The phrases, "dick weed", "balls", "damn" are used once each. The word, "fuck" is only used once, and not in a sexual way. An avatar also gives another avatar the middle finger in contempt.
- "shitshow" was used only once after the fight was over.
- The first time God is followed with d**n but with a small break is after wade and his aunts boyfriend/husband are fighting and the second is when wade and daito go to Nolan's office to find Samantha/ Artimas towards the end
- Towards the beginning there are a good amount of s word is said 6 or 7 times within 15 min but after Wade goes back to the oasis the second time the movie is very mild and there are only a few other s words
- Wade mouths the f word when he sees King Kong
- There is infrequent strong language ('fuck'), together with milder terms such as 'pissing', 'shit', 'balls', 'dickweed', 'damn', 'brokeass', 'goddam', 'hell', 'God', 'asshole', 'pissed', 'badass' and 'douchebag'.
- Not a lot of cussing
Alcohol, Drugs & Smoking
- You can see some bottles containing alcoholic fluid (probably wine and/or beer) in the background in one scene, the morning after an office party.
Frightening & Intense Scenes
- A race near the beginning of the movie feels/presents itself as intense. Cars are seen crashing and a dinosaur smashes cars as well as King Kong
Violence & Gore
- There is a scene where retrieving the second key (in The Shining) and you do see a big wave of blood come through elevator doors. Familiar if you have seen The Shining.
- An alien like the one in the Alien films is seen bursting out a characters stomach.
- About 10-15 minues of the film takes part of the Shining including the infamous blood elevator scene as well as the Room 237 scene. Young children may find this part very distressing.
- The protagonist lives with his aunt and her boyfriend, who is abusive in one scene he pulls him out of his room and pushes him on the floor.
- The uncle and aunt of the protagonist are killed on an explosion caused by explosives put by drones carrying them. The deaths are not seen.
- Brutal scenes. But no blood just coins. But there is a scene that Art3mis is disguised as Goro from Mortal Kombat and she has a alien and shoves it through his chest then proceeds to eat up and the upper part of his body is split. This scene shows blood.
- The F Word is only used once in the film. In one scene Chucky jumps on one player, and in real life, the player says: ''It's fucking Chucky''.
Frightening & Intense Scenes
- There is also shots of Jason Voorhees and Freddy Krueger also a scene where they use a Chucky doll to kill some bad guys.
- Mechagodzilla is seen killing players. (No blood is shown)
- Acting on a clue he discovered from careful research on OASIS co-creator, James Halladay, a character makes a dangerous counter-intuitive move at the beginning of a car race and goes into a high-speed reverse. For a few seconds, it appears he is going to crash into the back wall of the track, only for a hidden downward ramp to suddenly appear to allow the car to continue racing in reverse underneath the main track and win the race.
- Some brief perilous moments may be intense for a younger audience, these occur more frequently as the movie progresses.
- The impoverished real world outside of the virtual world may seem distressful or depressing to some, as well as a couple characters storys of losing their family.
- Scenes from "The Shining" appear in this movie, such as a bloody elevator spilling out, a woman turning into a zombie (up close), and a chase through a maze with previously said zombie trying to hit you with an axe. Other zombies also appear in a following scene, but more comical gory than scary gory
- In the safety of the virtual reality world, the friends encounter characters and settings from real world horror films. They enter a simulation of THE SHINING where they are threatened by ghosts, zombies and gigantic axes and where a player is swept away on a torrent of blood. Freddy Krueger and a Chucky doll, armed with a knife, both fight in battle sequences. Players are chased by King Kong and a T. rex