Take Shelter (2011)
Parents GuideAdd to guide
Showing all 18 items
|MPAA||Rated R for some language|
Sex & Nudity
- Two men talk about one man's thoughts of a threesome. This is humorous and brief.
Violence & Gore
- Some disturbing sequences:
- A man gets attacked by his dog. He is thrown down to the ground while the dog grabs his arm with its teeth. No blood is shown, but we hear ripping sounds and see the man's panic.
- A man and a girl get into a car accident. The man's head crashes into the steering wheel and blood trickles down his forehead, while the girl is unharmed. Then, suddenly, blurred figures break the car windows, take away the girl and try to choke the man. Very intense.
- The same figures reappear in another scene where they try to break the windows and the door of a house to get to the man and the girl.
- A man has a seizure. He is shown shaking uncontrollably, and he bleeds from the mouth.
- Through dialogue and only implied, a man describes a dream where another man attacked him with a pick-axe and sliced his leg.
- A woman slaps a man in the face.
- Two men get into a fight. One man punches the other and throws him on a table, but gets kicked by him in the shin and falls down. The second man overthrows the table and starts yelling at the other people in the room. He violently hits his hand on other tables.
- There are some very intense scenes involving storms. Birds attack two characters in one scene. They fall from the sky, dead, afterwards.
- Some strong language:
- About 6 uses of "f--k" used non-sexually, and around the same amount of uses of "s--t."
Alcohol, Drugs & Smoking
- Curtis takes prescription medicine to soothe his nightmares, but takes more than the recommended dose once.
Frightening & Intense Scenes
- The hallucinations/visions the main character experiences are intense and even those with implied events may be frightening to viewers.
- All the scenes in the Violence and Gore section are intended to be disturbing. There is an overall sense of dread that lasts through the whole movie.
- A man yells in a cafeteria about an incoming storm and everyone appears to be startled and in shock. (According to the director, the reactions from the extras are real and unaware what was happening)
- The film's climax and the finale could be very intense for some audiences due its intense meaning to the characters.
Violence & Gore
- A woman looks at a man in a disturbing manner. She glances on a knife behind her and then again on the man. The scene ends, however it is implied she attacked him. Possibly the most disturbing scene in the whole movie