Hardcore Pawn (TV Series 2009–2015) Poster

(2009–2015)

Is this series a Joke for the rest of us
ccswinston29 January 2013
We have Hardcore Pawn in Ireland for the past year and a half. I first watched it a couple of months ago. In that time i don't think i have ever seen a family business run in the manner that this family run theirs. Normally when the kids come to work in the family business they start somewhere at the bottom so that they learn respect for Authority. These two consequences for children do not even respect their own father never mind that chap Rich who has been manager for 25 years. The series is a few years behind here in Ireland so i had to see an updated version to see if Rich the manager was still there. I just happened to look at the episode where he gets sacked. I can only say that they should be called the "Adams Family in Pawn" cause thats where it is at in terms of logic business. To think they have not grown up in two years is unbelievable. I did see the next episode where Rich comes back, but the Father is in the background watching him like a hawk as though he has done something terrible. The two Gold Kids should go out and get a job in the real world and learn to have respect for other human beings. If they want to be in Managerial Positions, first learn to be the employee so to understand the importance of the employee. The only other reason for all of this carry on is that it is staged. I would like to believe this is the case rather than to believe that this family actually run their business in the manner they do. If it is true the way they carry on, i can just imagine the family home on Thanksgiving: Ashley: Dad Seth is picking on me again. Seth: No Im not Dad, i had first say on the Turkey drumstick and she just can't keep getting her own way on everything. Dad: if the two of you don't stop arguing i will give the drumstick to your Mother. I've been cutting up turkey's for many years and i want you both to learn how to cut up a Turkey together even if it means on the journey you cut the Turkey to ribbons each year while you learn, at least in the end you will learn. The Turkey in this case is the employee's and the Father hopes that in the end they will eventually learn to respect the employees that are under their supervision. If the above is actually real. Its a very very long journey.
16 out of 19 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
peasants
miltonmunster3 December 2018
These have to be the most immensely loathsome,vile,disturbed clan of knuckle dragging self f isting troglodyte cave dwellers ever been,for some misbegotten reason,allowed on tv.I can imagine that shafting peasant les hovering like a crazed vulture salivating over his parents dying bodies waiting to rip their jewellery & gold teeth out & the other two thinking how to do away with the other
6 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
hardcore garbage
forejohn25 July 2012
Found this show by accident and thought at first it was some parody of Pawn Stars but after watching 4 or 5 episodes I have come to some firm opinions. First, if ever a show perpetuated stereotypes, it's this one. From the sneering, low ball price offering Jewish money lender who "just want to help every one out if I could" (the father) to the "look at me, I'm tough when I stand behind my burly bodyguards and flex my mini-muscles while I imitate Daddy's sneer (the son) to the whining, screech-voiced princess of a daughter who, by the way, should probably spend more time pushing herself away from the table, and less time proclaiming how much she and her brood of Harpy's " care about the people". I'm still not convinced that everything that happens in that zoo isn't at least slightly enhanced for the cameras. That being said, I thank my lucky stars I've never had to deal with anyone like this group and I'm sure glad I don't live in Detroit but anyone who buys the crap this bunch is selling and thinks this is compelling TV would probably shop there. God forbid.!!
24 out of 32 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Jerry Springer Will Buy And Sell Your -GOLD-
Ethereal-Cloud16 April 2011
After watching 2 episodes of "Hardcore Pawn" and noticing that the producer of the show is Richard Dominick, I wasn't surprised. Dominick is/was the producer of the Jerry Springer show, and unless you've been living under a rock, you know what drek that show is.

Others have commented on the curious similarity, or dissimilarity to 'Pawn Stars', if you were hoping for something in the same vein, forget about it. Pawn Stars in a more interesting take on the PBS show 'Antiques Roadshow' and is interesting as well as entertaining. HP is televised ghetto exploitation, I felt like taking a shower after watching it.

It gets 2 stars because the camera operator didn't drop the camera, I'm feeling generous today.
35 out of 49 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
100% Fake
m-p-driscoll17 May 2011
In recent years Tru TV has been churning out these phony Reality shows at a brisk clip. Probably entirely scripted, their casts aren't real actors and are only marginally real humans. The opening tag "Based on real-life events", is key to understanding this deception. It's a slippery way of saying "We made it all up". If you're willing to spend the $ to become a member of IMDb Pro, you'll discover that they helpfully break down viewership demographically. Guess who likes "Operation Repo", "Hardcore Pawn" and all the others....Young Males....period. I was one of those a long time ago and remember being loud and self-importantly clueless. If you assume everyone likes to watch shows full of people and situations they can identify with you begin to understand. This is about capturing the attention of the advertisers dream audience. Undiscriminating immature dudes. It's deeply cynical of Tru TV execs to pretend these shows are anything but bogus and shows a genuine contempt for their target audience. Ugly, full of improbable events and noisy cranks it's not even good fiction. Radioactively bad.
61 out of 90 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Horrible to watch
sharr1331 May 2011
This program is painful to watch. 90% of the customers are African-American's that seem to wish to to run scams on the owners. The other painful aspect is Ashley! This woman has to be seen to be believed! She is an Out-of-Control, control freak and doesn't know what she is doing in the first place. If the old man is going to depend on her to run the business, he might as well burn the place down right now. Other than this woman going off on the customers and her co-workers, the other employees seem to have the patients of Saints.The program has shown me that the art of negotiation is a many faceted one, especially when being the pawn-broker that automatically has the upper hand in this process.
40 out of 59 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Perfect Fit.....
grrdgal4 May 2011
Being among the majority of viewers who find (some) entertainment in this, the latest style of "reality shows." ie based on odd albeit interesting professions. I HAVE TO SAY, "This family was born to do this work." For a minute, their competition, "PAWN STARS" almost lifted the reputation of pawnbrokers OUT of the gutter. FEAR NOT American PAWNBROKERS EVERYWHERE......this family are the very brand of parasites your "profession" is believed to have in droves. I'll start at the top. Ashley the sister, is without a doubt, her fathers daughter, but at times, shows some charity if only by giving "lip service" to the plight of those she deals with. Les Gold, the father is a "stand fast" negotiator, if he sets a price when buying merchandise, he won't budge from THAT price no matter what. The problem is, the price is NEVER FAIR. One gets the impression that as a boy, he must have been bullied. The reason for this is, no matter the price asked by a seller, he always goes lower, as if to force his will on the person he deals with. And NEVER SLIGHTLY LOWER...he goes so low as to insure disappointment, injury if you will. A not so sub-conscious need to avenge his own honor. He achieves the opposite. In any environment, outside an actual "Court of Law" what he does, would be considered robbery. The son Seth, is the worst of the bunch. He derives some sort of internal pleasure each time he "gets the better" of some poor "down on their luck" citizen of Detroit. The expression on his face is chilling. It isn't so much a smile as it is a sneer, showing contempt for those he considers beneath him. ie. The very people who put food on his table. He drew a "misers pleasure" by charging a fee from a man whose superstition put a need to have daily contact with some figurine he had pawned with the shop. To watch Seth tell his little scheme of charging a "visitation fee" was truly "telling". He all but wrung his hands, like the classic "villan" in an old "silent film". I feel it necessary at this point to mention that although they're in the same trade, the folks on "Pawn Stars" conduct business in a completely different manner. I suspect that when a client leaves the Vegas pawn shop, he feels as if he's been treated fairly and with respect. In contrast.....when a Detroit citizen leaves "American Pawn and Jewelry" the ONLY thing he feels....is the need for a bath.

In closing, I can't help remembering the woman who came into "Pawn Stars" with a small, old fashioned pin. A butterfly perhaps..... She was hoping for a hundred dollars or two, as she'd found it in a drawer belonging to her recently passed granny and knew nothing of its' true value....after close inspection of the pin, and the blue box it came in, the "pawnbroker" informed the woman of what she had.....what the "Pawn Stars pawnbroker could EASILY have purchased for a mere few hundred dollars. Would NOW cost him $17,000.00, due to his sense of "fair play". Had this woman possessed the "bad luck" of living in Detroit, Les or Seth Gold would have probably whittled her down to a hundred dollars or less, and walked away feeling fulfilled by their negotiating "skill"(?)and their ability to wrangle a larger profit from an unsuspecting victim. This show is worth watching if only to show HOW NOT TO DO BUSINESS.
35 out of 51 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Absolute scum!
bellab197224 August 2012
This show angers me for so many reasons! The family is scum and absolutely horrible to watch! Even the mother, who I saw once trying to shoot at a range, is scum! The rings she wore we're probably from someone down and out! The attitudes of this family are horrible from the skinny drawn out father with the mullet to the bitchy daughter who should not be on the show at all! I love to see different collectible items that are bought in to pawn shops but this show concentrates on drug addled black people or mentally deranged homeless desperates who get ripped off by this family! The vibe you get from the show is simply scum! Just scum! I know that people who pawn things are on hard times so it is a sad atmosphere to be in but these people take this to a whole new scummy level! The owners are worse than the customers! Again, the owners are WORSE than the customers! The producers should find a better pawn shop with reputable management to feature on these shows! It is not good when you get annoyed when watching a show because I just turn the channel!
34 out of 52 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
If you like Pawn Stars....
jjj61114 September 2010
... then you will hate this show. When I first saw this show I assumed it was a blatant rip off of Pawn Stars. However, since I love that show I thought that it would be worthwhile to have another similar show to enjoy. Unfortunately this show is simply terrible.

Overall, none of the characters are amusing or worth watching nor is any of the merchandise interesting. This is a sharp contrast to Pawn Stars where the items being pawned are often historically valuable and the members of the show are genuinely funny.

I gave this show the benefit of the doubt and watched four episodes. In this sample, not one item of interest was pawned, I didn't find any part funny, and most of the scenes seem staged and unbelievable. In other reviews you will consistently see the episode with the gun store mentioned. This is because that particular scene seemed like it might be the most interesting situation in the show. However, once they've strung you on until the last twenty seconds of the episode it appears extremely fake and totally unreasonable.

To be fair a lot of my criticism focuses on the comparison of this show to Pawn Stars. Not only does it seem like an extremely cheap knock off, even if I had never seen Pawn Stars I think this might be one of the worst shows I have ever seen.
44 out of 71 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
As much fun as watching paint dry
sbrazee31 March 2012
I am a huge fan of reality shows and was very excited to see this title. After sitting down with some snacks it didn't take even until the first commercial to see how much of a train wreck this was. This show focuses more on the highly uneducated people that constantly patron this establishment. Its the typical attitude that is displayed in any poor city with the likes that come with it. Sub titles will be helpful because although English is technically the mother tongue of the customers they speak highly unintelligible. The founder of the business is no doubt intelligent enough to run a highly risky business but has the personality of a wanna be tough guy and seems to get wound up super easily all the time. His kids are constantly throwing wining tantrums like spoiled little kids and in my strong opinion if the son ever took over the business he would run it into the ground sooo fast it wouldn't even take a year. If you live in a sheltered tiny town and didn't know people like this existed then i would imagine you might enjoy an episode or two until you realize how pathetic it truly is.
10 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Most Boring Pawnshop on Television
small45-670-2647718 September 2010
One of this show's taglines is "expect the unexpected", so if you weren't expecting a worthless piece of crap they will have at least delivered on this tagline.

This ripoff of the much more interesting "Pawn Stars" is awful beyond words. You don't get to see interesting artifacts and collectibles, don't get appealing characters, don't get to see experts who explain the history of amazing items, don't get information about the pawn business. I could go on endlessly on what you don't get, but I'll stop and tell you what you do get.

You get 3 obnoxious family members who run a pawnshop in Detroit, who argue over the most trivial things, and run around screaming for no apparent reason. One angry customer shouts "You're dead", then peels out of the parking lot. The patriarch of the boring family then shouts "I could have gotten killed" (if only) and threatens to fire security staff. Since guns cannot be pawned in Detroit and people are interested in guns, the boring pawn family decides to get guns for their protection. But first they must argue about how unpleasant but necessary it is for them to have guns for their protection. Off they truck to a much more interesting establishment, a gun store, where they demonstrate their inability to shoot straight.

If you find this review excruciating to read, it's only because I have captured the mood of this show. In fact, TruTV owes me 2 hours of my time back. They better give me 5% per month interest on my time when they pay off.
36 out of 63 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Complete White trash
alejandroafm3 September 2019
This show is so bad, it's not even funny just people getting yelled at and thrown out.
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
scabs
haroldhecuba6 March 2019
As other post mentions these guys really are detestable,despicable & bile inducing pack of vultures just impossible to watch for too long.Not only incapable of communicating in a normal respectful manner to other humans cant talk to each other without breaking into a spiteful toxic viper like venom spitting argument.A real sad pack of hyena's picking the bones clean from others misfortunes ripping people off & degrading them at the same time
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Absolute crap
chris_jt30 March 2012
My compost bin is better entertainment than this rubbish. It's trash t.v. on a pawn ticket and worth watching only if you're in need of a good bowel movement. I started watching this in good fairness and after a few episodes concluded I can produce better content from a laxative. There's no value to be derived from this dysfunctional family dynamic and completely represents what is wrong with that demographic. Absolute crap! I'd rather watch Oprah from a hot tub with both wrists slit or tolerate an episode of Jerry Springer after choking down an overdose of sleeping pills - any brand will do. Don't waste your time with this show - it's useless, worthless and absolute crap!
8 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Felonious Un-Reality T.V.
@bnurtyk from Austrailia: If this show is real in your mind, you need help. Let me help you and run a scenario by you: You are at your counter. A customer comes in with a broken Game Boy. "Can I help you?" "Yeah. I wanna pawn this. What'll ya give me for it?" "Well, since it's broken I can give you $4." "FOUR DOLLARS?! I ain't leaving until you gimme $200!" "Four dollars is the best I can do." "You gimme $200 or I'll come back and SHOOT you!" Then an obese bouncer drags the person out with employees following shouting obscenities. Is that how pawn shops are run in Austrailia? I didn't think so. Here's how it would go down if it was real: "...FOUR DOLLARS?!...I'll come back and shoot you!" The manager would then call the police. Police would arrest customer for "terroristic threats"...a felony. If this show were real, the Detroit police would NOT let this crap happen with every other customer 24 hours a day. Bouncers cannot lay a hand on anybody. To forcefully remove somebody is kidnapping. Another felony. So if you think every 30 minutes a couple dozen felonies are occurring, you are nuts. Anyone who thinks this show is real is nuts. It's all staged. How else would the cameramen be able to move around, face each actor and tape every line during an argument? These type of programs are an insult to America. All those "repo" and "towing" shows are fake and staged. Multiple felonies occurring each episode and the law does nothing? Still think it's real? Need any more help? Help out by not watching these and not buying the products advertised. They all will be gone in 2 weeks.
8 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Get A Clue
hannah-green-450-63460714 August 2012
This is a family owned business in Detroit, Michigan. Les and his two children run the business. They are allowed to make the rules how they see fit. People use their store as an outlet to get CASH for their possessions. They have two choices: They can PAWN which means they have to pay their loan back. Or, they can sell. The owners of the business DO NOT have to GIVE THEM MONEY. This isn't a FREE RIDE.

They don't have to GIVE YOU MONEY. It's NOT OBAMA CARE. It's a business. From what I've seen, they've had to grow a tough skin. It's obvious they have to hire BIG security guards for a reason. Drug addicts, low life's and just bad people sometimes need to resort to cheating. That's not what this family is about. They are just trying to help the people who are! Seth, you need to smile more and quit acting like an expert. You're too young. You act like your dad owes you a living. Learn a lesson or two and quit disrespecting you dad. Ashley, I love your tenacity! Keep it up. Les, I think it's wonderful how you are trying to teach your children how to run a successful business and sometimes how to deal with people that think they are ENTITLED.
17 out of 31 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Does Ashley suck lemons all day?
bob-113519 February 2021
What is wrong with this person? She seems to be constantly arguing with everyone, pushing her nose into other peoples business, and generally being the most unpleasant person in existence.
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Booooooo
rollanrenee9 September 2013
Worst piece of fake crap to ever land on tru TV!!! I would rather watch one of the Golden Girls have a breast exam!! The whole thing is fake. They would just tuck tail and run if they were ever approached by someone they have on there! I would have already knocked Ashley out and sent seth back to the lord of the rings. Ooooo so scared of a fat chick and her recycled brother. Then there is mullet man. I watch a few minutes of it and it just turns my stomach. I thought Tru TV was for court drama and cops and stuff like that, but oh no we have to watch a dork and his fat sister pretend to scare off people, they can do that just standing outside in the parking lot!.... BORING!!!!! They SUCK!!!!
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Give the show a chance.
deathanql17 January 2011
This show is fantastic. If you're into precious metals, ancient guns, and historical artifacts- THIS IS NOT THE SHOW FOR YOU. If you have more than 2 working brain cells you will clearly see that this show isn't anything like Pawn Stars. Pawn Stars is more on the historical side,(hence the network they are on) while Hardcore Pawn is more on the "intense" and "realistic" side of the pawn business. This show is a REALITY show. Comparing it Pawn Stars is like comparing Terminator to Back to the Future. In which they share a certain concept but not a genre. I really got into this show, they actually want to help people and don't rip off every single customer they meet. It's not a perfect 10 but it's fun to watch. Seriously, if you're into reality shows, this is a must watch. It's funny, intense, and really realistic.
23 out of 50 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Vegas isn't Detroit
astralbodybutterfly28 February 2011
I find it hilarious people gave it a low rating because they expected Pawn Stars (they're a little obnoxious). A pawn shop in any tourist area is going to have nicer stuff (they obviously wont take low end stuff, no biggie its Vegas after-all), Vegas gets tons of tourists, tons of opportunity to make money. Two totally different economies! They don't typically give people breaks.

This show I love. It takes place in the hood, not the strip! What do people expect? Maybe because most Americans can give two shits about Detroit. I love Les! He's so cool, and always chill and do what it takes to help out the customers! Even if they're fuming mad over their personal problems. (which most store owners won't, especially with people of color, keeping it real)

I remember a girl came in looking for funeral money for her father with tear filled eyes, had to pawn something. She wanted a little more, and Les thought she may have been lying (which some do), BUT he did it anyway.

Les helped her out and she came back to thank him and to prove she was sincere! He then donated some money to her! <3 THAT'S WHAT I LOVE! not some douche in Vegas who would've been like "Not my problem." I don't what wrong with the show according to other people, but I like it and agree with Engel Fleurs. This shows has a sense of community that Pawn Stars lacks.

:D PS chum's an idiot.
13 out of 27 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Gold's need to be more professional
stevekasischke26 February 2013
I can appreciate how hard it must be when dealing with the public, especially when some do not act rational. Thats when it is most important that Les, Seth and Ashley act in a professional manner. I am shocked to hear Seth or Ashley f-bomb a customer, no matter how disrespectful the customer is behaving. They should know when to walk away and just have security walk the customer out, not follow that person out while exchanging insults. It just lowers the Gold's to the level of the customer. I wish Ashley and Seth could work together better. There is absolutely no sights of support between them. I don't know how Les is ever going to be able to turn the business over to them. Lastly, Seth needs to show his father more respect. The things he says and the manner he says them must be very hurtful to Les.
4 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
As far as reality TV cheese goes, this one's gotten really stinky.
mrsebastian21 July 2011
Let's put this show in context, it's a reality show. So if you're expecting Jerry Springer meets pawn shop, you're in for a good time!

That's until you see the one person who completely ruined the show. I know you're thinking, "hey didn't you just say, not to take this show too serious and that it's a reality show?"

Yes I did, but then the most annoying, immature, "see you next Tuesday" TV personality I have ever seen on TV, literally made it impossible to watch the show... seriously, I stopped watching mid episode and have not watched another one.

Note to producers: 1) The stars of the show are the pawn business, seeing interesting items, and the freaks that bring them in. 2) Remove Ashley from the show.
4 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Possible to enjoy Hardcore Pawn AND Pawn Stars!
LuvSopr16 May 2012
I know a lot of Hardcore Pawn is fake for TV, but for all the contrived bickering between Ashley and Seth, or Ashley and pretty much anyone, or the antics of the various crazy customers, there is something very real about the show. The mood swings and the shifting alliances of the Gold family and their employees feel very genuine, and while the constant hysterics might grate sometimes, it's still much more entertaining than yet another reality show about vapid relatives of a Zelebrity, or the sex lives of drunken 20 year olds. There are a lot of moments which are just a pure adrenaline rush, as well as occasional moments of tenderness (like when Seth tells Ashley she did a good job in how she handled firing someone).

Neither Hardcore or Pawn Stars are a great guide to real life. One is full of fireworks, the other is full of somewhat laborious lectures and painful "comedy" segments with Chumley. Both of them thrive because of the relationships of the people who run the shops.

If you want a painstakingly realistic chronicle of life, then don't watch Hardcore Pawn. If you want a fun ride which is at times a little more realistic than you may want to admit, then give it a try.
8 out of 16 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Joke
didi271628 December 2012
What's with this show this season: What every happened to Richie? He was the best to watch on the show.He was the reason we all watched the show after the first episodes of boredom. I don't see him on anymore. Anyone know if he still works there? And what is which Ashley? She sounds as if she doesn't even work there. She doesn't know her inventory, or information on the business. She is rude and just a filler for the time because there is nothing else to put on. Is she a plant. This is a joke of a show without Richie. Hope to see him on soon, or we won't be watching this anymore. Pawn Stars way better and more real. Not a rip-off of customers.
4 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Trash TV on Pawn Shops
lee188810 February 2012
This is just another disgusting show that the lefywood producers in Hollywood would have you believe is normal America. Any moron that ran their business the way these idiots pretend to run there's would be out of the business in the first year. Fortunate for them this is just all leftywood hype and staged for the cameras.

It's a shame that the producers in leftywood would turn a possible good show into a Jerry Springer trailer trash type production. They tried their best to insult the American people's intelligence by asking us to believe that morons are the only people who own and operate businesses in America. This type of trash TV even seems to be spreading to what used to be honorable channels such as the history Channel and the Discovery Channel just to name a few.I have yet to find anything historical about a bunch of morons and trashy people pretending to run their business in such a manor. Hopefully people will stop watching this nonsense and understand that it's just staged and nothing about it is real.
4 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.