The arrest of a jewel thief leads Peter and Neal toward a much more heinous extortion case against adoptive parents. To catch the heartless mastermind, Peter and Neal dive headfirst into the world of high-stakes gambling to force the criminal's hand.
Did You Know?
The password into the Old New York Room is "Sunnydale," the same name of the town featured in "Buffy, the Vampire Slayer." See more
Catherine's story of adoption is riddled with holes and heavily exploits racial and national stereotypes.
1. Chechnya is a part of Russia and all adoptions are finalized by the Russian laws.
2. Russian laws strictly forbid any kind of mediation in adoption cases with the exception of a translator. Therefore there are no "adoption agencies" in Russia. There are international adoption agencies in the US who help facilitate the trip to adopt.
3. The "Chechen mother" could not have "come forward". Adoption is decided by the court, and a waiting period of 10 days is given for any party to come forward and contest the adoption. After that, the adoption is final and the birth mother cannot "reclaim her child".
4. An absolutely mandatory part of the adoption process in Russia is an affidavit from the birth mother stating that she fully relinquishes her parental rights which makes it impossible for her to contest the adoption in American courts. Which, in turn, makes the "adoption lawyer" unnecessary and the entire "scam" impossible.
5. Catherine says her adopted son has an IR4 visa. IR4 only applies to adoptions from the countries that are not signatories to the Haague convention. Russia is. Therefore, Catherine would have to submit form I-600 "Petition to Classify Orphan as an Immediate Relative".
6. Caffrey asks if Catherine is sure the adoption was legal. If it wasn't, the child would never get a Russian international travel passport and would never be able to either leave Russia or enter the US. All adoption paperwork is thoroughly checked at the US Embassy in Moscow or US Consulate in Vladivostok before issuing an entry visa. See more
I'll handle it.
Peter Burke gut detector?
FBI's most valuable weapon.
References The Brady Bunch
Side To Side
Written by Wayne Jones and Sean Holland
Performed by Sean Holland See more