Mirror Mirror (2012) Poster

(I) (2012)

An enjoyable family film so some people shouldn't be so uptight....
blaineanna8928 May 2012
I saw Mirror Mirror in theaters back in April with my niece, but I just decided to write something on it because it has come under a lot of criticism and honestly I don't know why.I saw a lot of negativity on YouTube and many other places so it got me to thinking what really is the problem with movies geared more toward children?

I think fairy tales should bring out the little kid in everybody, but I've noticed that some people find it hard to revert back to their childhood or innocence because they think it's cheesy or corny.And with the recent comparisons between the two Snow Whites (Mirror vs.Snow White & the Huntsman) it has gotten more and more ridiculous.There has already been a dark-version of Snow White (Tale of Terror) if anyone remembers so there has been done already. A comedic version is interesting and new.

I can only comment on Mirror Mirror because I saw it and I enjoyed it. Snow White (Lily Collins) is treated horribly by her wicked stepmother The Queen (Julia Roberts) who is ruling the kingdom since her father's mysterious death. Somehow with the help of the dwarfs and the Prince (Armie Hammer), Snow White begins to believe in herself and realizes she has the strength to fight off the wicked Queen.

It was a really nice retelling of Snow White because it was a coming of age story. Never knew who Lily Collins was before this movie, but I think she was spot-on as Snow White. She has this innocent beauty that was perfect for Snow White, but she also was courageous, which is a great role model for young girls nowadays. Might I add, her eyebrows fit her and there is nothing wrong with them as I've seen nasty comments about it. They add distinction to her face.

The Prince was really comical and funny. Had me laughing a lot. Never knew who Armie Hammer was before this movie also. I liked him because it was the opposite from Disney Princes who usually are perfect in every way without flaws. They can sing, dance,and sword fight, but he was pretty dense in a way, but it actually suited the movie and it was intended to be that way.

Last but not least, Julia Roberts was divine as the wicked Queen. Honestly, I love her bitchy and sneering her nose at everyone. Julia is usually seen as this sweetheart but it was great to see this side of her. I liked her little on and off British accent too and her pompous narration to the story.

Love the dwarfs, they had absolutely the best one liners. They were modern and jazzed stuff up.

So again I add, every movie does not have to be sinister and Hannibal Lector evil for it to be considered a good movie. Nor does it have to have The Hangover- type jokes and vulgarity to be considered worthy of laughter.

The critics can go to hell on this one. I will watch this movie again and again, especially with my niece.
205 out of 255 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
What are the other reviewers talking about?
davepaterson19789 April 2012
OK - so this is a major re-working of Snow White and in fact you could say that it is an entirely different story...bar the principle character names. But to read some of the comments here would be to be mis-led in the extreme in my terribly humble opinion. Not being a huge Ms Roberts fan I was unsure as to how I would react to her as a dominant player in fable setting - but she was capable and trod a fine line between villainy and comedy that worked. Of the other characters - as has been noted Snow White stole the show and was a capable lead and will doubtless go on to far grander things. But the actors delivering the Dwarf story-line were also in keeping with the piece - OK not hugely polished but capable of delivering in the contexts of fantasy. But the real reason for leaving this review is really because of my kids - they loved it. They were scared, amused, excited and involved throughout the film and left having sat through the credit dance sequence first. And frankly it is a film aimed more at them than most reviewers here. So let's not be too sniffy about "truth" or "thespianism" or indeed "realism" - this is a young persons film and looked great, didn't patronise them and had some great ideas brought to life - not always successfully but with a touch of humour and imagination so in my book it's a winner and not to be judged too harshly.
104 out of 140 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Good family fun movie
dianajeann15 April 2012
I took my 11 yr old niece to see this movie and we both loved it. Good clean family fun. Nice to walk out of a movie singing and dancing for a change...... Julia Roberts is hilarious, Nathan Lane even more so and the rest of the cast endearing. Seems if a movie doesn't have violence or sex, not many like it. That is so sad.... life should be fun sometimes and this movie made us feel uplifted and happy.

Thanks Julia and Nathan..... I am not familiar with the actress that played Snow White or the Prince but they were both adorable and funny.

This movie was entertaining for any age, full of action, surprises and humor..... go see it, don't let the nay sayers keep you away.
118 out of 160 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Strangely enjoyed this...
fairiesfly2 April 2012
First off: See this with a good set of friends. Half of the charm for me was turning to my best friends and seeing the look of horror on their faces when they realized what I had dragged them to. Here are the reasons I like this:

A. Costumes were cute. They were supposed to be wild and outlandish but I found myself really strangely attracted to the dresses. B. Julia Roberts who? The dwarfs were where it was at! They completely stole the show. C. It's not supposed to be "stick to the storyline" type of deal because it's not serious and doesn't take itself too seriously. D. Lily was adorable. With that sort of big name character it's really hard to keep it simple like she did. E. The innuendos that the children don't understand will crack you up and no worries parents... they won't pick up on them. F. People said it was bad. This might be the hipster in me but... I was really glad that I didn't think it was.
94 out of 129 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Better than expected.
beatrice-mcclearn4 April 2012
I walked into this movie expecting another "fairy tale" movie. So I was pleasantly surprised when the plot took a turn for the unexpected. I loved how the writers used adult humor to keep audience attention. In addition, the graphics were surprisingly creative; especially when it came to the 7 dwarfs. I didn't feel like I was watching an old fable play out on the big screen. Instead, I felt that I was being told the story of Snow White for the very first time. I would recommend this movie to anyone with a sense of humor, and an appreciation for creative graphics. If you think you are going to fall asleep in this movie, think again! Mirror Mirror is a great tale for all.
70 out of 96 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
paulinebracq15 December 2019
Incredible, amazing costumes, made me drool ! The movie itself is enjoyable, but really, the costumes, oh my !
9 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I absolutely loved this movie!
jmpstvs19 April 2012
I absolutely loved this movie and everyone in the theater was clapping at the end. I do not believe that I have seen a standing ovation before in a movie theater that didn't have a live performance. It was humorous and dramatic and silly and I just loved it! Julia Roberts was devious and cunning with a wacky edge to her part! Lilly Collins is absolutely gorgeous just as I imagined Snow White should look. The Prince's demise was hysterical and the dwarfs were the perfect touch to this version of Snow White. I liked this version better than the Disney movie! Mirror Mirror was absolutely entertaining! I WILL BUY THIS ONE WHEN IT COMES OUT ON DVD or BLU-RAY!
65 out of 104 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Better than expected
kyrio-340-83403510 April 2012
After reading some of the negative reviews, I pretty much did not expect much out of this movie. While this is indeed a rather boring movie for adults, I did enjoy the show more than I had expected.

The story is simple and easy to understand, with a few twist here and there. Admittedly, I did not find the jokes funny at all. Considering this is a show for kids (correct me if I am wrong), I would have imagined that kids would love this movie.

Lily Collins is a beautiful young lady with high potential to become a great actress. The most enjoyable part was probably the ending with "Ned Stark"
53 out of 86 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Good for the lazy viewer
aric-c-warner16 March 2012
While this film seems to be perfectly tailored for some audiences, most discerning viewers will find Mirror Mirror to be lacking depth. Several plot fixtures are left unexplained, and in general this movie feels like the writers are trying to shove as many fantasy clichés into one movie as they can. The movie would undoubtedly have been better had the writers simply stuck to the original story, but they did not. The deviation from the classic story was not well done, and in many ways, it did not make much sense.

On a positive note, the acting was refreshingly good, particularly on the part of Julia Roberts. Roberts played the sinister queen quite excellently, adding a seething sarcasm to each line. Along with the acting, the aesthetics were good. Makeup could have been better, but costuming was very well done, and it played a large part in making the movie coherent.

In short, the positive qualities of this film were not nearly enough to make up for the awkward timing, unexplained plot mechanisms, mediocre dialogue, and unworkable mixture of different fantasy clichés. My suggestion is that you go see something else.
106 out of 193 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Julia Roberts, Nathan Lane, and Lilly Collins are pretty good in the fairy tale spoof Mirror Mirror
tavm28 April 2012
Just watched this fairy tale spoof of a movie with my movie theatre-working friend. Julia Roberts plays the Evil Queen who wants Snow White (Lilly Collins) killed but her henchman (Nathan Lane) is very reluctant to do so. Ms. White eventually falls in with some...well, let's just say diminutive warriors and a prince (Armie Hammer) who's being tricked into marrying the queen. What the queen does to make him fall for her is the most hilarious thing in the movie. Nothing is as funny as what I just mentioned but there's a fun atmosphere throughout even during the more intense dramatic parts. And check out the Bollywood number that ends the whole thing! Really, I'll just say that Mirror Mirror is very much worth a look.
25 out of 40 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A Nutshell Review: Mirror Mirror
DICK STEEL5 April 2012
Not only are comic book characters finding screen time in the cinemas, but fairy tale ones as well, with films such as Red Riding Hood going through a reinvention of the character, as does Snow White this year with no less than two big budgeted productions, each with its unique take on the character in what would be a face off between Lily Collins and Kristen Stewart in the title roles, one still very much that demure teenager, while the other going by the trailers happen to be more warrior princess instead.

The Snow White I believe most of us know is likely the Walt Disney version, her trademark being that of her songs, dance, and ability to uncannily communicate with birds and other small, cute animals. Tarsem's Snow White does the same too, well almost, albeit influenced in more Bollywood terms with the supporting dancers, their twirls, colours and costumes on display (designed by the late Eiko Ishioka), and she's basically is on a mission to rediscover her kingdom's penchant for celebration all over again given the void after the disappearance of her father the King (Sean Bean). After all, Lily Collins shows she's up to the mark and a bona fide Disney-ish version with the provision of her singing voice in I Believe (In Love) in a sequence that could be liken to be as out of place as Jai Ho in Danny Boyle's Slumdog Millionaire.

But while her Snow White is that demure damsel who's the fairest of them all, she also does show a little bit more character in her ability and grit determination to wield a weapon to wage war against her enemies, namely her stepmother The Evil Queen (Julia Roberts) and her minions, made up of court bootlicker Brighton (Nathan Lane) and other mystical creatures, including her own magic mirror reflection in a stunning CG sequence each time she calls out to her. But don't expect a full on battle ala the other Snow White played by Kristen Stewart, as this one gets trained by her seven thieving dwarfs who decide that she joins them in their mission if she wants to continue seeking refuge in their humble abode, and passes with having looks, brains and brawn, with plenty of heart going out to her people when she learns of the truth of the suffering in the villages.

Visionary director Tarsem Singh is well know for the imagery of his films, full of the fantastical, strange, but always fascinating view of the created world. While his previous film Immortals may have suffered by the lack of a strong plot and action that made it look like a poor cousin to 300, he's back in his element with Mirror Mirror, providing the audience a visual treat while treading on a story structure that is familiar with most, which more or less follows the line of the evil Queen being jealous of Snow White's beauty and gets rid of her, only to have the planned assassination attempt botched with the killer taking pity, her venturing into the woods and meeting up with the seven dwarfs, with the Queen poisoning her with an apple, and to be rescued by Prince Charming, or in this case, a certain Prince Alcott (Armie Hammer) from Valencia.

But be warned that this version too may not go down well with some, especially since the story by Melisa Wallack reworks most of the major details on how the Prince meets up with Snow White, playing a major role here rather than appearing as a cameo at the end, and giving each of the seven dwarfs completely different personalities, with names like Napoleon (Jordan Prentice), Half Pint (Mark Povinelli), Grub (Joe Gnoffo), Wolf (Sebastian Saraceno), Grimm (Danny Woodburn), Butcher (Martin Klebba) and Chuckles (Ronald Lee Clark), who are almost Robin-Hood like in a subplot about not being loved, and discriminated against. But thankfully some of their personalities come across with good natured humour.

Much has been said of Julia Robert's role as the sarcastic Queen whose heart is filled with plenty of black humour, and her character is quite man-crazy, finding it necessary to quickly hook up a rich prince/king in order to continue with her lavish lifestyle at the expense of the kingdom's coffers, raising taxes to fund her whims and fancies. Probably the first Snow White story to have both the Queen and Snow White tussle for the love of the Prince, all I can say is Armie Hammer, who did a great job as the Winklevoss twins in The Social Network and as J.Edgar's right hand man, continues to impress in his roles - in this one having a shirtless running joke - that I am anticipating his turn as The Lone Ranger come next year. Lily Collins will have you believe she IS Snow White, and carries what is expectant of the fairest of them all pretty well, and doesn't make you wonder why so many become mesmerized by her beauty. But flower vase she is not, as she has two missions to fulfill, one to bring back laughter to her kingdom, and to track down the whereabouts of her father.

Mirror Mirror has plenty of tongue in cheek jokes, and slapstick scenario at times, that puts it close to being an outright comedy, yet not quite. Instead it's as close to what a fairy tale will look like on the big screen with the plenty of beautiful sets and scenarios crafted for the characters to operate in that made it quite dream like, and Tarsem being at his element in crafting a visually impressive outing that draws first blood in rival Snow White films. The I Believe (In Love) segment has already earned brownie points from me, so let's see what the other Snow White film can come up with something unique. Recommended!
25 out of 41 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Who's the fairest of them all?
info-355-57872727 April 2012
MIRROR, MIRROR is one of two major Snow White movies coming out this year. The second one is SNOW WHITE AND THE HUNTSMAN, which premieres in June. From the trailers the two movies look absolutely nothing alike. While I don't have any problems with a fairy tale princess taking levels in sheer awesome being a competent woman, I'm not sure if the grim and grittiness is the best way to do it. Why does a woman have to become grim and gritty to be badass? But this is neither here nor there. I have yet to see SNOW WHITE AND THE HUNTSMAN because of an unfortunate lack of a time machine so I can't compare the two. (If I did have a time machine, I'd be going to see other movies, such as THE HOBBIT in December, among other worthwhile pursuits.)

What I can do is review MIRROR,MIRROR. Directed by Tarsem Singh (who also directed THE CELL) it stars Julia Roberts as the Evil Queen, Lily Collins as Snow White and Armie Hammer as Prince Alcott in a fun and often tongue and cheek romp through the fairy tale.

The movie starts with the basic premise of Snow White's father, the King (played by Sean Bean), marries the Evil Queen and then mysteriously vanishes into the dark woods while trying to find an evil and dark creature threatening his kingdom. Snow White is left with her stepmother who proceeds to lock her up in the castle, forbidden, for her own good, to leave. Snow listens to the Queen but on her eighteenth birthday things start to change from the traditional fairy tale as she meets the prince and decides to take matters into her own hands.

Julia Roberts' queen is a petty and not really malicious evil. She wants the finest things in life and will do whatever she wants to get them even if it bankrupts the kingdom. She wants to be the most beautiful in the land, and if that requires Snow White to die then so be it. She is fun to watch as she tries to get Prince Alcott to marry her.

On the other hand, Lily Collin's Snow White is a bit on the bland side. She has to play the innocent and naive waif who learns to stand on her own two feet, which generally isn't a role with much to do. However, her Snow White actually does things. She doesn't wait for her prince to come to change things. She actively goes out to try and stop the queen herself.

I think the best thing about the movie was Hammer's prince. He manages to keep an awkward straight face to the Queen's flirtations and is a capable warrior. Later on in the movie he seems to be having a great deal of fun with the situations handed to him.

One thing I have to mention is that the costumes – especially the Queen's – and the sets are utterly gorgeous, a delight to look at. Most of the sets are in shades of white and gray while a lot of the costumes are brilliantly-colored, creating an interesting and delightful contrast to watch as the characters move through the world. They aren't completely realistic, but the story isn't realistic either and so it helps create the fairy tale illusion.

The story is sufficiently different that it keeps you guessing on how it's going to turn out. You know that the Evil Queen will be defeated and Snow White will get the prince, but the how is left up in the air well enough to keep you entertained. It is most definitely not a serious movie, but one that is a nice way to spend a lazy afternoon. It leaves you with a satisfied feeling… if a bit bewildered by the sudden Bollywood style dance number during the credits.

– Gabrielle Lissauer

This review first appeared in Geek Speak Magazine - www.geekspeakmagazine.com
23 out of 38 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
One of Hollywood's better fairy tale re-imaginings
Foux_du_Fafa17 April 2012
"Mirror Mirror" is part of Hollywood's current fascination with re-imagining fairy tales for the big screen, most likely spurred on by the success of Tim Burton's take on "Alice in Wonderland". In fact, it's the first of two "Snow White" adaptations to come from Hollywood this year; we'll see "Snow White and the Huntsman" this summer. I'm still unsure as to why either studio would go ahead with a film version of a story that is already being adapted by another studio for a release within the same window, even if the two resulting films play to two very different audiences. In any case, this one certainly seemed the less contrived of the two, and as it stands, it's not that bad a film if you take it for what it is: a campy, easy-to-watch rendition of a favourite story.

As expected nowadays, the film greatly deviates from the typical story, and much is embellished. The Queen is robbing the people of its taxes to fund her vanity and lavish lifestyle. When Prince Charming comes to town, a ball is held so the Queen can woo him to grab his gold. Unfortunately, Snow White sneaks into the ball to try and gain support for overthrowing her cruel stepmother, and the said royal instead falls for her. Spurred by jealousy and a fear of usurpation, the Queen orders Snow White to be killed in the woods. The henchman, however, lets her go. As per Grimm, the princess is taken in by a band of seven dwarfs, this time a bunch of Robin Hood-like bandits as opposed to singing miners.

From this point on, the story tends to stop following the traditional narrative altogether, with the exception of the Queen's intention to kill using dark arts. By ignoring the plot and going in the direction of a completely over-the-top romp full of garish colours and distractingly cartoon-like imagery, some of the power of the original story is lost. Nonetheless, the film is still highly fun and entertaining, and one gets the impression that the people making it had a lot of fun doing so. Julia Roberts' Queen is fabulous in her role as a completely hissable vamp, and the other cast members, in particular the guys playing the dwarfs, are wonderful as well. None of the characters are really fully realised, though in a story like this, I think we can accept the odd archetype. In any case, "Mirror Mirror" certainly ranks as one of the better Hollywood recent re-imaginings of famous tales, and comes recommended.
19 out of 31 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The Bulgarian dagger of Snow white
bokoka4 June 2012
I want to know, what is a model of Snow white's dagger. Someone tell me that he is a Bulgarian military pilot dirk from WWII. Why in the movie not make their own model. This dirk is Bulgarian historic weapon, i think. Otherwise, the movie is very nice, i enjoyed very much. Lily Collins is very beautiful in the role of Snow white, Julia Roberts makes a role that i don't expected, but i liked. The seven dwarfs is the same actors, like in most roles of dwarfs, but the idea of dwarf-giants was very fresh. Bollywood style final was very finny. Maybe watch the movie because friend told me about the pilots dirk from WWII, but i like the movie.
21 out of 35 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Excellent
amethystwings3213 May 2012
I loved this movie, it was the best rendition I have ever seen. Julia Robert's gave one of her best, performances ever. She really made me hate her character.I also loved Nathan Lane's acting he was very funny.I really liked the way the writer wrote in the, little people.They were funny,and comical yet brave at the same time. I agree this was not your typical fairytale, of a Prince and Princess falling in love! Which was refreshing to see I too loved it a lot. It was a light whimsical story ! Where the Princess rescues the Kingdom and her Prince. Lily Collins is a very spirited young actress, she has a lot of talent. She brought a certain quality to the character. The Prince was charming witty and also comical. This is definitely is a feel good movie that makes people happy. I would like to see this movie again, because you will laugh from beginning to end! It was overly romantic, and nobody died ! There were only a couple of scenes that were not for someone with a weak stomach. All and all it was an A+
21 out of 35 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Mirror Mirror (2012) - Julia Roberts as the Evil Queen? Really?
nickmesafilms6 June 2012
This isn't the first time that we have seen a re-telling of the classic Snow White story, from the Brothers Grimm fairytale, to the classic Disney animated film. In "Mirror Mirror", there are some moments that kids will have fun with. Not that I have a problem with kids' movies, but "Mirror Mirror" is one of the most ridiculous takes of the Snow White story that I've ever seen! I would say that this movie provides family-friendly entertainment that the kids would enjoy, but that doesn't help this movie from being cheesy, idiotic, unfunny, and undeniably corny. Julia Roberts delivers one of the weakest performances of her career, as she tries to deliver a menacing performance as the Evil Queen. But we don't believe that her character is actually evil, when she's instead sad, lonely, and maniacally insane. The beautiful Lily Collins seemed adorable as Snow White, and she really stayed true to her role, unlike the other characters in the film. Armie Hammer, who was really good in "The Social Network", delivers a horrid performance as the Prince, not by judging his acting, but by judging those completely forced moments he was asked to be in. Director Tarsem Singh gives this tale a more trippy, and awkward treatment, rather than a family-fun treatment. The art direction is magical, and the costumes are colorful, but they couldn't help this movie's script. I was left incredibly mad by the humor in this movie. This movie delivers a few weird innuendos, unfunny moments, and incredibly forced moments. It feels more like an adult movie, disguised as a kids' movie. The movie was a little too cheesy and corny, and some of those moments went way too far. Like, the scene when the Queen gives the Prince a love potion, accidentally turning him into a human puppy. That was a pretty awkward moment, but kids will like it. When this movie tries to be heartwarming, and trying to deliver a message that will bring emotion, it sadly just doesn't work. Then, the ending happened, and it ruined me for life. That's the thing I hated! The kids are being forced into watching this because this is a Snow White movie. Do they even realize that there's already a Snow White movie for kids, called "Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs"? That movie meant a lot to me in my childhood, because that was the movie that sparked my interest in film, in the first place. But, "Mirror Mirror" is just a wild excuse to ruin my childhood. Maybe your kids are able to enjoy something like this, but just wait till they grow up, and watch it again after so long. Trust me, you'll understand! "Mirror Mirror", in my review, "a painfully weak, and ridiculously flat film that angers".
22 out of 37 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
best movie so far this year
gareth-917 April 2012
I adored this movie. The queen was adorable, & very tongue in cheek. When Prince boy comes in half naked (which he managed several times) - the queen is so funny as she mutters,'smooth & hairy'. There is a definite sound of her purring. Her evilness is quite delightful.

I want to go live in the forest with the dwarfs and learn to fight & be a thief. There was a bit of peter pan and the lost boys in there. It took enough time to get to know the dwarfs & their little quirks.

The butler (or whatever he was) was great. I found it a very feel good movie. They had the whole winter thing when the queen was in charge - shades of Narnia. It kept my interest all the way through, didn't drag. I was smiling thru most of the movie. Excellent use of CGI - beautiful scenery and magical castle scenes. Amazing architecture and costumes. It had a pantomime feel. In the end it goes full colour as there's a thaw, great song and all boogie on down. I may go and see it again.

Snow white was great too. She was an intelligent young woman with a bit of feist about her.
22 out of 37 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Roberts steals the show.
LloydBayer20 March 2012
I can only think of one other movie where Julia Roberts is cast in a negative role. When news broke out that Roberts will play the evil queen in this Grimm's fairy tale adaptation, I just couldn't resist. Let's face it, it's not everyday you get to see the most popular actress in the world (with the best smile in Hollywood) play an evil and conniving character. In this version, the story remains true to original, if not with a wacky twist and a lot of humor.

After the king disappears under mysterious circumstances, Snow White (Lily Collins) learns that her step-mother the queen (Roberts) has been plundering and looting from the people of the land. After rescuing a prince (Armie Hammer)from seven 'little' highway bandits, and gaining his affection, Snow White is banished to the forest when the queen sees wealth and power in the guise of the unwitting prince; besides his use as her toy-boy. Snow White must now team up with the aforementioned bandits and win back her birthright, her prince, and restore her father's kingdom to its former glory. Thus begins an itchy cat-fight with a capital B.

Having just watched this movie, I can't say that this is the best adaptation thus far, given its PG classification. However, considering that there are two other versions slated for a 2012 release, including a darker version starring the emotionless Kristen Stewart, I am forced to say that "Mirror Mirror" suffices as a decent family adventure-comedy. Having cut a niche for himself in visual esthetics and art design, director Tarsem Singh creates a vivid and colorful world with innovative sets and costumes – a standard that is rapidly becoming his cinematic insignia after his work from "The Cell" to last year's "Immortals". Singh also scores with intended comic relief, given that he has had to work with a story where the audience knows what to expect. When you consider the story's comic backbone complete with slapstick moments, Roberts's sarcastic one-liners arising from a witty script and the ever amusing Nathan Lane as the queen's royal subject, this movie becomes a lighthearted stab at one of the oldest and most adapted fairy tales. That said, this version sits well with the intended audience in its narration, if you go in expecting a simple and entertaining movie.

I really can't say that I was captivated by the acting. Collins as Snow White and Hammer as the prince are just so-so as protagonists of an age old tale. Given the age of 'girl power', it is no surprise that Snow White here is a spirited young girl that not even for a moment, appears to be a damsel in distress. On the other hand, the prince is comical in almost all scenes, stripping (pun unintended) his character of any chivalry from the original tale. As the movie is narrated in the queen's perspective, it becomes apparent that the story is less about Snow White and more about the queen and her vanity. This chain of thought is what gives "Mirror Mirror" a new spin to the old yarn. Personally, I strongly feel that Julia Roberts steals the show – not because I expected her to – but simply because the story appears to have been scripted with a lot of focus on her character. It's almost as if this version was written by the evil queen herself.

For the most part, Singh's work here is a tad bit above average in re-telling a grand old tale. He keeps it simple while giving it a fresh and anti-Disney twist. Then he goes and ruins it with a totally unnecessary and bizarre ending. Did Singh copy this off Tommy O'Haver's "Ella Enchanted" or did he want to give the finale a Bollywood twist? If Singh has used this movie to say something about his roots, then he has picked the wrong movie to do so. Mixing Hollywood and Bollywood themes within the same movie is always risky. Danny Boyle may have gotten away with it in "Slumdog Millionaire" because of its theme on poverty and the hugely popular underdog factor. All said and done, if it were not for Snow White doing the "Bhangra", I would have easily rated this film as a good start to 2012. Even so, if you are willing to overcome your disbelief in the end, the greater part of this movie is not half as bad.
45 out of 85 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A witty retelling that I thought I would hate, but came out loving
BookSnob7 April 2012
When I saw the trailer for Mirror Mirror, I wasn't expecting much. I wasn't even planning on watching it, and totally dismissed it based on the trailer. Snow White and the Huntsman looked more my speed. However, I have three baby sisters who saw the trailer and basically said, I WILL DIE IF I DON'T SEE THIS. I wasn't thrilled, short guy jokes and Julia Roberts aging? No thanks. Anyway, my sisters dragged me to see it, and I have to say, I FREAKIN' LOVED IT.

It wasn't all shallow age jokes, didn't really have any short people jokes, the Prince (Armie Hammer) was cute, and it was intelligent. So smart and witty, I loved it. It wasn't shallow, there wasn't any singing, no sugary oh-right-I-think-my-eyes-just-rolled-down-the-aisle moments. Each dwarf had like, their own individual personality and depth, not the cardboard cutouts to provide comedic relief I expected. This isn't a people version of Walt Disney's 1937 Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs, which I found charming but shallow, Mirror Mirror finds it's own path taking the same basic plot (evil/jealous stepmother/queen, young beautiful girl, dwarfs , etc.) and turning it into something else. Something witty and wonderful. I really loved it.

Don't judge this one by it's trailer.
18 out of 30 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The classic fairy tale turned into something...far less!
Boba_Fett113824 March 2012
You know something is wrong with a Snow White movie, when the evil queen is looking better than Snow White herself.

Basically this is movie that is a very loose adaption of the brothers Grimm story, about Snow White and the seven dwarfs. Loose adaptation perhaps isn't the best way to say it. It's more of a very own and very different interpretation of the classic fairy tale, that changes lots of things around but unfortunately not in a very good or interesting enough way.

This project definitely had some potential in it but it doesn't dare to take things far enough. It now instead comes across as a lame, half attempt, at re-imagining, the classic fairy tale. What could had been a very atmospheric and perhaps also darker take on the story, works out as a lame and odd one instead.

I don't even really know how to take this movie in the first place. It's not adventurous enough for an adventure/fantasy movie, not funny or entertaining enough for a comedy and not serious enough for a drama. It seems that they were mostly going for a comical and entertaining approach but the humor is often so incredibly lame, simplistic and predictable, that this movie is only funny to watch for some young kids, who simply don't know any better yet. I don't know, perhaps this also was the crowd this movie was going for, since it certainly feels like a live action Disney movie at times but I just can't say for sure, since this movie is taking so many different different kinds of approaches at times, to its visual style and story.

Really, I like Tarsem Singh's his style and visual approach to all of his movies but he often seems to have some problems with the storytelling and focus of the story. This movie often goes all over the place. The first half is pretty much focusing on the evil queen, played by Julia Roberts, while the second half suddenly is all about Snow White. There is not a good enough balance between each of those two characters, as if Julia Roberts demanded she would get first billing and the writers, in a frenzy, changed the script around, which certainly went at the expensive of everything and everyone else in this movie.

There are still a couple of interesting visual moments in this movie, as you could expect from a Singh movie. However, yet the movie still doesn't feel like a very imaginative one, or like it is taking place in a magical fairy tale world. Instead the movie feels and looks like it is taking place in a studio, all the time. Besides, it also really seems like Tarsem Singh was holding back this time with his visual style, which was also really another disappointment about this movie.

Not a great movie at all!

42 out of 81 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Quit while you're ahead ...
rsboswell14 April 2012
Obviously, we already know what story is being pulled off here. So ... why? This movie is so bad, I couldn't stomach watching it in it's entirety. That, and two people sitting in the audience fell asleep and were snoring through it. But seriously, Julia, Julia, Julia ... honey ... fire your manager. They did you no favors getting you in this picture. In summary, the bad CGI was hard to look at, the dialogue is flat, unimaginative and amateurish; the acting looks , no, is directionless. What's more appalling is how many recognizable names are in this movie. Why? what happened? Granted there is always going to be a line of bad movies every year, but you'd hope you wouldn't see seasoned talent in them. This film is flat, boring, and even the parts that are supposed to funny, aren't - comic timing is utterly absent. Sadly, I won't be able to see another film with Nathan Lane in it and take him seriously because of this, or any others for that matter. Even if this went straight to DVD, avoid it at all costs.
33 out of 62 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not as bad as I though it would be, just boring.
kdnor201125 March 2012
When I saw the trailer for this movie, I just thought it would be absolutely horrible. The dwarfs looked annoying,and Julia Roberts seemed annoying. So after seeing it, is it as bad as I thought it would be. Well no, it's just really boring.

Let's start with the good stuff. It's looks pretty good. The colors against the snow work really well. The set designs are great, and at times the special effects look pretty cool. And Julia Roberts looks likes she's having a lot of fun. She is so ridiculously evil and does get a funny line now and then. And Nathan Lane can also make a funny line once in a while.

But the stuff I don't like, it isn't that funny. The seven dwarfs aren't as annoying as I thought they would be, but they didn't make me laugh once. Like I said, Roberts and Lane make a funny line once in a while, but that's it. A lot of the characters are annoying. Some scenes don't make any sense. And maybe this is just me, but what is up with Snow White's eyebrows, she's hot, but those eyebrows are huge. Really, the big reason this movie didn't work for me is that it was boring, the action isn't interesting, I didn't care about the relationship between Snow White and the Prince, and like I said, it isn't really that funny.

This movie isn't quite as bad as I thought it would be, but part of me wishes it was, then at least it would have gotten an emotional response out of me.

3.5/10
52 out of 104 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Awful movie... to be avoided at all costs!
killgamers24 June 2012
I truly can not imagine anyone enjoying this film. I found it an insult to my intelligence! It's not even funny, plus very slow and mega predictable.

Boring unimaginable script, cheap CGI (can do better at home on my PC lol), terrible unrealistic acting. Maybe while listening to the Beatles' song, "Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds." It might be entertaining.

All the characters are annoying... the best part for me was the introduction, it almost had me interested.

Julia Roberts obviously needs some more money. When really she should retire from acting. For her looks and style are so so dated, its unreal. Funny thing is, she acts the same as she has done in all her previous films. Which totally proves she can not act to save her life! My dirty underpants put on more of a show than she can.

I had to turn it off half way through because it was so bad, it actually made me feel sick. It's films like this that put you off from ever wanting to risk going to the cinema/hire out a film again! If you are easily pleased, do not have a brain and have had zero interesting life experiences in your time. Than maybe this film was made just for you. However for the rest of the world it's to be avoided like the plague!!!
34 out of 66 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Made for TV movie
sean-x-liu31 March 2012
In short, this one of the most disappointing movies that I have ever seen on the big screen. Despite the beautiful graphics and big stars like Julia Roberts, the film, in the end, felt like the quality of a made for TV movie. The story began with a grand idea of delivering a alternative vision to a classic fair tail, but ended filled with holes in the story line and flow. None of the characters had any depths or emotional attachment. The entire movie felt like a train wreck of random scenes and jokes. Julia Roberts did a fantastic as the queen, but the same cannot be said for the rest of the cast, whom the director probably found in the back alley of the studio. In conclusion, do not go see this movie and save your money and more importantly save your time!
36 out of 71 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Lighthearted fun and laughs
wmg416 April 2012
I was pleasantly surprised by this movie. It's appropriate for children and teens, but still has plenty of laughs for adults (watch for the Walrus costume at the ball). They take some liberties with the traditional storyline but not to the detriment of the overall movie. It is not deep and meaningful,but there are some positive messages and solid female characters. Roberts makes a great evil queen/witch and the cast as a whole does a good job at making the characters accessible and easy to relate to, even with the fairytale aspects. Nathan Lane however, owns this movie; his character has some of the best lines and scenes, and he delivers exceptionally without being over the top. The cast for the dwarfs is excellent, Snow White is fine but didn't do anything spectacular for me, and the prince is bland and simple, but I think that works well for the movie (it's really not his story, he's just along for the ride).

Overall, it's great for a date, girls night, kids, teens, and pretty much any audience for a predictable fairy tale- beautiful imagery and costumes, lots of laughs, moments of tenderness and action, and of course true love and living happily ever after. I'll definitely buy it when it comes out and it will go on the shelf next to movies like Ella Enchanted and Ever After.
16 out of 28 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.