Scooby-Doo! Mystery Incorporated (TV Series 2010–2013) Poster

Some reviewers don't seem to get it.
homestar175 November 2012
First off, I NEVER give anything a perfect score -- there is always room for improvement. I grew up watching Scooby Doo in reruns, because I'm not old enough to have seen it firsthand, and I'm a huge fan.

This incarnation is a reboot -- something which many viewers/reviewers don't seem to understand (especially the above reviewer, ctyankee1) -- and often goes into a darker, more serious storyline. It's not the same one from the 60s or 70s & it's not trying to be. I love it because of its "neo-retro" (modern & oldschool at the same time) look. Everything is connected, from one episode to the next & I think they did a fantastic job paying homage to the original series (from canon flashbacks to past villains).

After reading some negative reviews, I can tell that most of the reviewers don't really watch the show or have only watched an episode or two -- which is sad. With the overarching story lines, you have to watch it from the beginning of the series, or you really lose so much. Give it the chance it deserves before brushing it off as garbage.
44 out of 48 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Fantastic New Start!
danmasucci1 August 2010
I have been a Scooby-Doo fan for 30 years and get to still enjoy it with my sons. This new cartoon has outstanding animation that is much more moody with a spooky atmosphere than any attempt at the franchise since the early days. The stories are great and I'm glad to see Matt Lillard voicing Shaggy. Casey Casum will always be the best but his voice has changed too much. The camera angles are chosen with care and are interesting to watch. I also like that they live in the town of Crystal Cove rather than Coolsville and that the kids are kids in high school rather than adults. Scooby-Doo has serious longevity and it is my sincere hope that this new series is long lived.

For old fans and people new to the show, this is sure to delight!
44 out of 50 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
New "Mystery Incorporated" starts out on a high note.
brittonwa12 July 2010
Finally, character development for the Scooby-Doo Gang. Despite the fact that Fred and Daphne are back in their old late 60's outfits, new life has been breathed into Scooby's supporting cast. Norville "Shaggy" Rogers and his pet Great Dane, Scooby-Doo, have always been the most developed of the five characters and display their usual hijinks and slapstick, with one exception...Shaggy has a secret involving one of the members of the gang. Freddy Jones, the son of the town's Mayor in this story line, no longer has the Mr. Perfect persona, but is a precocious and eager yet likable teen who loves the thrill of mystery solving to the point that he gets carried away. Daphne Blake's personality is very sweet and endearing. Her character is more reminiscent of the original Daphne from the sixties only this Daphne is a cheerful optimist when it comes to her friends but is easily dishearten when it comes to Fred's cluelessness of her affections. The real surprise is Velma Dinkley! Her appearance seems to be modeled after the live-action version as her features looks more feminine. Although she's still extremely short in stature, Velma has more of a slender build making her noticeably busty. And though Velma still wears the usual outfit, her turtle neck sweater plunges slightly lower, revealing her neck. She now sports a fluffier hairstyle with small hair ribbons. As for her personality, she is sarcastic, opinionated, slightly quick-tempered, and (surprisingly) flirtatious. This new change in her character is well suited for the flow of the show and rounds out the cast quite nicely. Even with all the changes, "Scooby-Doo! Mystery Incorporated" takes you back to the original Scooby-Doo roots, with enough of it's own originality to bring it up to date. However, with more attention directed towards the lives of the characters rather than the mystery, it leaves the story of how the mystery was executed half explained. Still, the writers seem to know what their doing and if they keep to this format, this show has the potential to be almost as popular as the classic "Scooby-Doo, Where Are You?".
39 out of 47 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
It's the best since the original ...
powersx29 November 2010
I am surprised by some of the negative reviews on here. This is the best incarnation yet of the original show. The Scooby Doo Mystery ones with the special guests were pretty horrible, the Scooby/Scrappy show was a disaster, and the most recent "What's New Scooby Doo's" were decent but a little too trendy and trying to be hip to the 2000s. Therein lies the beauty of this show. It is a new show, with new stories, new relationship drama, and new villains and mysteries. However, it keeps the old look & feel too. The show is darker now than it's been since the original series (when almost every episode happened in the creepy night time) and you feel that darkness when you watch it. It's spookier than the hackneyed villains of "What's New" and certainly far less goofy than the ones with the special guests. I cringe when I see those awful episodes with The Globetrotter and Phyllis Diller. Sure, the relationship stuff is more "adult" than the past but for those of you pointing out that the costumes are 70s again ... that's cool! So is Fred playing an 8-track on a record player ... that was funny, and meant to be! You've got to get the joke. Look, no one likes change all that much. I'm a marketing exec and I know this more than anything but change, when presented with elements that make us still feel comfortable, is great. Kudos to the writers for this fresh take on a great show that still makes me feel at home. (Oh, and I love the "Mr. E" stuff. It's a nice creepy sub-plot that now has me tivo'ing the show for myself, not just my kid!)
35 out of 45 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Potential Fulfilled
TheMailOnSunday6 April 2014
The villains are frightening. The characters are fleshed-out. the plot is dynamic. The art style is unique, and its universe has depth. Put simply, this is Scooby-Doo living up to its fullest potential.

I know my Scooby. I grew up with all the incarnations of the show, and while it's generally held a place in my mind as being fun, I probably would never have considered myself a true fan. I didn't doodle Scooby on my class notes.

But some genius came along and changed the rules. This show is true expansion, not a retelling of the original story. Not a remake. It's not trying to be hip, or modern. It's trying to be iconic; it's trying to be bold. They flashback to scenes straight out of the original series, and build their universe brick by brick, staying true to the core elements of Scooby (including the ridiculous slapstick), while introducing intrigue, fear, tension, development - and humor, like you've never seen in Scooby before.

I think the moment I realized that I might be watching something incredible came along when Velma was giving a tour of her family's Spook Museum, and casually resting in the background was the opening monster from the Scooby-Doo live action film. It never came up; it was just *there*.

That was a tell-tale sign of a groups of creators that loved their material - both good and bad. It takes guts to recognize the embarrassments of a franchise, and then continue onward, using elements of that embarrassment to produce something wonderful. Passion is oozing from the seams in this show.
16 out of 19 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Zoinks & Jeepers, this rocked!
Wildoates1317 July 2010
What a great reboot. Like "Battlestar Galactica" and "Batman Begins", Scooby Doo gets re-imagined in a way that just really freaking works. The writing is a great mix of serious, funny, scary, silly, spooky, and even with some amours shenanigans thrown in. It's also like watching "Buffy the Vampire Slayer", "Farscape", or a John Carpenter movie, basically a great blend of dark, serious adventure with some funny and touching moments. The art and production design would make Iwao Takamoto proud, and with a style like some great cinematographer shot it through a 1970's lens.

But as much as I've referenced others, there's also some great originality to the writing and art as well. Every character personality gets quality time, and there are some nice quirks thrown in (Velma's sarcasm is the best). And the overall look of the show is amazing.

I love that the largest influence out of all of the previous incarnations seems to be "Scooby Doo, Where Are You?". And there are just enough great references to previous incarnations as well. Daphne trying to get into the storage closet, Don Knotts standing in the crowd, the museum with mostly the classic monsters but also that phantom from the first live action movie in the background, the Vincent VanGhoul movie, and probably a dozen others I have to go back and watch for. It'll be cool if they keep that up (just as long as Scrappy doesn't get too much reference time).

So glad someone decided to take Scooby Doo seriously. Looking forward to more.
15 out of 18 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
I can see why there are diverse opinions
cthulhu-3218 October 2010
I happen to quite like this series (thus far) as does my family and yet I can see why some people have a problem with it. First a bit of background: both my wife and I grew up with Scooby-Doo and our kids independently decided they liked the various instances of the show as well so, for good or bad, I've seen probably 99% of the Scooby oeuvre.

Certainly it should first be noted that this series is a "reboot" and not inherently placed in temporal or any other relationship to previous series. On the other hand, it is also often parodies what has come before. This has been done to some extent in the live action movies and the direct to video animated movies but in the present case, the basic world that the characters inhabit is more of an alternate reality. In the original series the chief fantastical element was that Scooby could talk; the present series supposes a town where monsters are big business and the kids get in trouble for SOLVING mysteries, for example. Structurally the show is more about action and character arcs with the mystery element largely on the second tier. In could be argued that the mysteries in Pup Named Scooby-Doo were a bit less obvious than some in S-D:MI (but the obviousness is also part of the parody, e.g., the gator episode).

As to the characters, Fred, Daphne and Velma all are pretty different from previous incarnations, as is Scooby who evidences far more social insight and complex dialog. Shaggy has never really varied much series to series and nothing much changes here (One has to go back to his very earliest existence to find him more adept and only mildly fearful). In general, these are not realistic or even particularly functional characters; great role models, they are not. If you are looking for that, the direct to video movies will be more your cup of tea. But if you are open to a different mythology with a more oddball yet somewhat more adult approach, you might find it a cool take.

I personally like the animation style and think the direction is on par with the upper echelon of current animated action shows. There's a bit of an irony in that the original Scooby-Doo was created in response to parental pressure against violence in animated shows of the 60's (e.g., Space Ghost, Jonny Quest) while this show is probably the most dark and violent Scooby yet. I guess things have come full circle.

In summary, I'd say give it a chance for a few episodes but if it isn't to your liking and you want something more classic/less dark/more realistic, I believe they are on a schedule of at least one new direct to video movie each year. Further, it appears we can probably count on new series productions for another 40+ years so you can always wait for the next one...
19 out of 24 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Do the Doo
neonboy6199 August 2010
The Scooby Gang is back, and boy are they better than ever. Please excuse my clichéd statement, but there's no other way around it. The Scooby Gang is back, new and improved.

The original series, made in the 70s, had a very simple formula. The Scooby Gang, comprised of character archetypes, would ride around in their mystery machine, go to a scary place, and have to convince Shaggy and Scooby to aide with the mystery solving with the help of the promise of Scooby Snacks. The gang would spilt up, Velma would find clues, Daphne would always open the wrong door, or get kidnapped, and Fred would come up with a plan to catch the supernatural culprit, Shaggy and Scooby would be funny.

Over the years, the formula had been retooled, or abandoned all together. Sometimes only Scooby and Shaggy have made an appearance with the occasional inclusion of Scrappy Doo. I actually like Scrappy Doo.

Recently there was the hit live action movie, it's sequel and the prequel (which included a brunette Fred and an Asian-American Velma) along with the newest animated incarnations, What's New Scooby Doo and Shaggy and Scooby Doo Get a Clue.

I thought the live action movies were funny and well written, and Miss Sarah Michelle Gellar played Daphne in two of them so I kinda' had to watch them. What's New Scooby Doo was also cute, but I felt more could've been done with the Scooby Doo formula, especially when the re-tooled animated series came out afterward.

Now we've got Scooby Doo: Mystery Incorporated. A new series airing on Cartoon Network. The new series focuses more on our beloved Scooby Gang as people rather than caricatures. What used to be hinted at in the original series when it came to character relationships, is now push to the forefront. Daphne makes it really obvious about her affections for Fred; Shaggy and Velma have a few surprises of their own.

The voice work in this show is excellent, as is most productions from Hanna Barbara. Fact's of Life's Mindy Cohn, who played Velma in What's New Scooby Doo, reprises her role here as our favorite girl geek. The legendary Frank Welker does his double duty as Scooby Doo and Fred Jones. Fan favorite Grey DeLisle voices Daphne flawlessly. I almost thought she was the original voice actor Heather North. I was most impresses with Mathew Lillard's Shaggy. Being cast as Shaggy in two of the live action movies, he was a highlight in that he really just let himself get absorbed into the part. This man IS Shaggy. Aside from original voice actor Casey Kasem of course, who's voice also makes it into this series as Shaggy's father. Also includes celebrity voices Vivica A. Fox and Patrick Warburton.

I've only seen the first episode, but I am already excited for the rest of this new series. Aside from the drama our classic characters are having with each other, they're going to have to solve a huge mystery that is too big for just one episode. The show now has some continuity in it that was missing in previous incarnations.

This is definitely a show I will be watching weekly along with my regular viewings of Glee and Desperate Housewives.

Check out my movie review site: http://neonboy619.blogspot.com
25 out of 33 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
I didn't like the original show that much, but I actually like this
SandroTheMaster21 January 2012
OK, so maybe it was just a product of its time, but I have some problems with the original show. It was corny, Freddy and Daphne had no personality, Scooby and Shaggy were just there to be comedic relief and Velma was kind of a Mary Sue that could solve anything and didn't even need the rest of the gang.

Though there were concepts I liked. Especially how it was pretty much the only show to ever try and teach skepticism to our younger. Some might argue against it, but in my view imagination and wonder is good, but you better know how to evaluate everything you hear and see.

But this show, it gets it right. I like how they kept the skeptical theme. When Zombie Island finally did real monsters (outside of a crossover) it was actually quite surprising and nice, it caught people off-guard, and it was done competently as well. Then every Scooby-Doo incarnation since had to have supernatural and science fiction (the less said about the hippie aliens, the better). And worse, they became progressively dumber... then somewhat decent.

And then this. Now I finally actually like Fred. He is a man of very specific interests... that is, a geek. He always had this jock build so it was weird he and Daphne seemed to be put in the same category of the gang as weirdos, but now this is justified. He likes mysteries, tactics and, above all, traps. He really, really likes traps. And those interests just overflow so well to everything he does as a character, it finally is an actual character trait instead of just a generic leader archetype. His obliviousness also makes a very endearing flaw.

Velma is not the magic clue-solving machine that has no other purpose or much of a personality trait over "she does't like to lose her glasses". She is this sarcastic and vulnerable teen, who is not only intelligent but clever as well. She still solves the mystery most of the time, but now it finally looks like the rest of the gang is helping in the process of mystery-solving instead of just being glorified clue-finders (or rather clue-stumblers).

Daphne is probably the most shallow, being this doe-eyed girl who is mostly following the gang so she can be with Fred, who she shares a somewhat Platonic Love for thanks to his utter obliviousness (Shaggy is more perceptive to Velma's much more subtle advances). Still, she manages to actually put some effort into it instead of just being the damsel in distress every other episode. She grows on the gang and on the spectator.

Shaggy and Scooby, while only being the comic relief, were the most developed of the original cast. What in this case only means they actually had stablished personalities, even if just of hopelessly but easily coerced (or bribed) cowards with a penchant for food and a bit short of straws in the head-box. But now they actually interact with the gang and we they react to their goofness. Pretty much everything I've ever asked the show to do.

So, overall, this show is great with superbly stablished characters. Good to know some people actually know that if you're going to resurrect an old franchise instead of creating something new, the least you can do is actually improve on it instead of just doing the same thing over or just pointlessly changing it to the point it is unclear why not just creating something new in the first place. 9 of 10.
17 out of 22 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
One of the better Scooby Doo incarnations...
TheLittleSongbird24 July 2011
I say this as a big fan of Scooby Doo. I watched Scooby Doo! Mystery Incorporated not expecting much, and I was shocked at how surprisingly good it. To me while not as good as the classic Scooby Doo! Where Are You?, Mystery Incorporated is one of the better Scooby Doo incarnations, and much better than Shaggy Doo: Get a Clue!(the worst of anything to do with Scooby Doo)

If there is one thing that I wasn't crazy about, I did find at first that Velma's personality here took a while to get used to. However, I loved the animation, the colours and backgrounds are very colourful and stylistic while having a glossy sheen to them. In general Mystery Inc look similar in design to the other incarnations, except for Fred and to a lesser extent Velma, and they are convincing. Plus I found the villains funky in look.

The music is great as well, the main theme is memorable and the background music sometimes has a cinematic feel to it. The writing is funny and moody and in one episode poignant too(when Fred finds out about his father), while the stories are set up quite nicely with the darkest atmosphere of any Scooby show since the original, something refreshingly new in idea to mixing some elements of what made the original work so well and trying something different and one of the least predictable and hackneyed of any show to do with the iconic character.

The characters are great. Velma as I have said takes some getting used to, but I loved the development to Fred, I liked how they made Daphne stronger and more resourceful here and Shaggy and Scooby still make me smile and laugh. In terms of villains, most are great, but some are disappointing, especially the Creepers/Gators who were very predictable and obvious. The voice acting is fine too, the new voice actor for Shaggy does a very worthy job in particular and Frank Welker is still going strong.

Overall, I wasn't expecting to like Mystery Incorporated, but I actually love it. It made the most of a good idea and got/is getting stronger. 9/10 Bethany Cox
12 out of 15 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Revamped Characters, Haunted Atmosphere, and Totally New Approach
Djaxx_Hz11 July 2013
In spite of some serious negativity from other reviews, I can honestly say that I watch through both seasons 1 and 2 without ever having any problem with the way this show was handled or developed. In a word, it's brilliant, and the good parts of this masterpiece of storytelling far outweighs any trifling personal issues I have with some specifics. Still I'll get the bad stuff out of the way beforehand to clear the air of any problems one can expect to run into with the show.

My first very slight yet tempered issue is with the bad guys. They are certainly well designed, but there isn't always a really solid mystery to follow. 70% of the time the bad guy is way too obvious, or totally unguessable. However, the times when it is obvious, the choice still makes sense for the storyline. And every time it's totally unguessable the show comes up with highly imaginative explanations for the bad guy's motive. The real kicker is the 30% that it's guessable but not always completely obvious, and these episodes are the real gems.

The biggest problem this show ran into in my opinion was the relationship between Velma and Shaggy. Personally, I would have liked to see these two really hit it off and eventually make a compromise between their very different personalities. The relationship is rocky to say the least, and never really pans out to a satisfying conclusion.

If these aspects of the show were just slightly better tweaked, I would have no problem giving the show a 10, but it had its hiccups. Rant over, now onto the good stuff.

Where was I, oh yes, the characters. Some have mentioned that the show is less Scooby focused. This is true, but to the show's strength not it's detriment. There's only so much you can do with a scaredy-cat dog that likes to eat. The other characters are more fleshed out.

Scooby is still his usual comedic ham of a self. Shaggy's slackerish tendencies are more modernized, but he is more or less the same. He does have some interesting ways of sneaking around food. Velma has higher expectations of herself and the gang in this incarnation, and she plays the role of the more grounded skeptic who requires a logical explanation for everything. Daphne is the youngest daughter of a rich family where she lives somewhat in the shadow of her older more successful sisters. Fred is perhaps my favorite. He can be characterized as more of an idiot-savant. He's not too bright and out of touch with his emotions, but is obsessed with and an absolute genius at setting up traps.

The group is more dynamic in this show. While they are most certainly friends, they go through some drama. In my opinion, this makes them far more realistic that their previous counterparts. Even though they argue and have their issues, they always manage to show that they truly care for each other when it's most important, and they fix their problems in time to capture the bad guy, or at least are willing to shelve them for a more opportune moment to talk it out when the bad guy shows up out of nowhere.

Another high point of the show is the new animation style along with the atmosphere the show puts together. The music definitely fits, and all the synthesizers are high tech and well programmed. It's worth checking out a copy of the soundtrack at some point. The drawing is much darker compared to most of the show's earlier incarnations. Toxic greens and rage-filled reds illuminate the screen at various points in the show. The animators almost certainly took a page from the book of the programmers from World of Warcraft, if you are familiar with that game's color scheme. It makes for a magically charged haunted atmosphere.

The show also has a new design as far as the storyboard goes. Episodes have their villain of the week, but the show does a fantastic job of having a much larger overarching story that takes place in the town of crystal cove. Previous mystery enthusiast groups have had their problems here as well, and the classic Scooby gang has to overcome obstacles in order to not repeat the same mistakes as their predecessors. Much can happen between ancient artifacts and other dimensions, and the bigger mystery is one you won't want to miss.

Other high points include: Recurring side characters, throwbacks to older scooby shows, downright zany Rube Goldberg style traps, and an ending that ties everything off with an odd yet fulfilling sense of closure. I'm crossing my fingers for a sequel series.

Overall I'd give this show an 8.7, but for the purposes of rating I'll round that up to 9.
5 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Funny with a chance of Horror
Mrs M E Firth7 April 2013
Scooby-Doo Mystery Incorporated, now ended in the US, has been something of a roller- coaster, and that is understood by many, I believe. And now, I have a chance to compliment its superiority, because it is simply that.

To begin with, it is a pure homage to the original series with cameos of numerous monsters from the very first selection of episodes. It also features Hanna-Barbera characters and other animated individuals, the continuity references are endless. And with this collection of characters, it has given us, as the audience, a sofa to sit upon. Then, it gets better. The character development is something to be recognised because it gives a change to the dullness and simplicity of the first series and gives an overview of life in reality and why relationships can be the toughest things to handle even when monsters and villains roam the streets. And that, all in all, is what pushes this series ahead.

Moving on to the story now, this is what I acclaim highest. It is simple yet complex. By that I mean the writing is simple, but the story and concept is sweetened by complex storytelling. It gives me the feeling that these writers have planned and scraped for objects and characters they can use and slot them in to some particular episode. Right from the beginning, in episode one, we are given something that will stick with us throughout the series (two in fact), a phone call from Mr E and a golden locket, with that oh-so majestic tune. And then by the end, we are given an answer, something that was at first so small it could barely be spotted, to a point where the fiction has become something so incredibly gigantic, it is momentous. And then the ending is emotional, we see everybody, as they were as they never were, all the monsters and villains that Mystery Incorporated unmasked and all the characters they met...all gone. That poignant and very significant end, is something that not many series can do and it forces audiences to say - "Wow!", because it is that good.

But not only that, the animation has exceeded itself, the voice actors are incredible, the direction is original, the sound effects and music are immaculate. Everything that makes this show has been somewhat breathtaking, because of its substance and the enthusiasm and thought that has gone into making it. The horror is so brilliant, one can almost believe its reality.

This is not a series of pictures rushing past, this is brilliance in the truest of senses and all wrapped around a cartoon character who is loved by millions of children across the globe. And the song that this story has sung, will never stop singing.

P.S. Whoever decided that this series was right for seven-year-olds, they were absolutely wrong! I'm warning you parents, people die in this story, and it is something a child must never see until they are mature enough to understand what the concept entails.
5 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
The classic is BACK!
duntrune3 September 2010
The gang is back, and in fine form, I might add. Fred is still Fred, if a bit more bumbling than he used to be, but hey, it's a reboot and he's back in high school! Daphne's got more spunk and she pines for the oblivious Fred, but over the course of 8 episodes, there's actual character development!! Velma's much girlier than she used to be, and way more sarcastic (ie, funny) and Shag and Scooby are their usual selves. How's it working so far? Excellently. While they solve a different mystery each week, they also get tantalizing clues from the mysterious Mr. E, who tell them "this has all happened before", and each week the larger mystery unfolds a little more. Great! The animation's top notch, with all kinds of fun stuff tossed in the backgrounds, like a grown up Pebbles and Bam Bam showing up at the beach, and longtime Scooby fan Matthew Sweet provides a creepy, haunting theme music. It's much funnier than the classics, better animated, and a worthy part of the legacy of Scooby Doo. Why 9 out o 10? I loved the few feature films that actually featured supernatural stuff, not just guys in masks.
8 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Best incarnation of the classic series
conallturley26 February 2018
Scooby-Doo! Mystery Incorporated is my favourite Scooby series. Whilst the original SDWAY is irreplaceable, Mystery Inc. is, in my opinion, the strongest entry in the franchise so far. Here's why I think so.

As well as staying true to the main essence of the show, with monster-of-the-week episodes, humour, action, and likeable characters, MI introduced an over-arching story/mystery. Handled much more capably than in 13 Ghosts, the over-arching plot here is intriguing to follow and watch unravel as the show progresses. With the ball rolling from the very first episode and spanning the entirety of the 52 episodes, this aspect of the show is without a doubt one of its main strenghts.

The characters of Fred, Daphne, Velma, Shaggy and of course Scooby-Doo, and the journey they take as individuals, and also as friends, is another great aspect of the series. They are fleshed out much more than in early seasons, especially Fred and Daphne, and each member of the gang is given family members who we get to learn more about throughout the show. Also explored are the romantic relationships between Fred and Daphne, and Velma and Shaggy. As someone who is a lifelong Scooby fan, the "Fraphne" relationship is one of my favourite elements of the show and I was so glad for it to finally be explored in depth. Velma and Shaggy's relationship is also developed, and the impact of such on Scooby, but you'll have to watch to see how that pans out.

Moving forward, I simply love the art style of this series. It is noticeably darker than say WNSD or BCSD, and I just love it. So much care is taken to form gorgeous backdrops, and the character designs are my favourite for a series since the original SDWAY (retaining their classic outfits, but with a new twist regarding the look of the characters). The animation is near perfect, and is just a pleasure to watch.

Lastly, I'll just touch on a few other things. The opening theme is short but sweet. Very catchy and original. I actually like just an instrumental theme, it suits the tone of the show well. The monsters in the show are actually pretty scary, with episodes to match (if you don't believe me just watch "The Creeping Creatures"). Whilst there are no musical chase scenes, the action sequences are just as good. And finally, there are plenty of nods and references to the franchise's long history, e.g. the exhibits in the Crystal Cove Spooky Museum, the character of Vincent Van Ghoul, as well as THE HEX GIRLS!! (Lol), and much more.

Overall, I would highly recommend this series to anyone, Scooby fan or not. It is such a great addition to the franchise, and definitely earns the title as one of the best series in the Scooby franchise.
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
My son give's this show 10 gold stars
bonniegail8920 July 2010
I rented this episode for my son since he is home sick. He watched it 5 times in a row. Now that says something since he owns all the other types of Scooby Doo TV series and movies. This new show has great story story lines and actually keeps my sons interest. The characters have better features and their movements looks more real.IThe color and shadowing really gives a spookier effect for the story so it's more exciting to watch. I'm making sure my son tunes in to Cartoon Network on Mondays so he can catch all the episodes in season 1. I can't wait for him to be able to see them all and I can't wait to be able to purchase them. Thanks Scooby Doo Mystery Inc creators. Bonnie and Cameron love you.
9 out of 16 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Darker with a more Interesting Plot line
sbrady-099093 November 2017
The reason this is my favorite Scooby-Doo show can be summed up in one word: everything! Unlike others of the franchise, Mystery Inc. has a linear story to it, the only series to do that. More developed characters, better side characters, and better monsters make this one the best. In addition, it has an underrated score that works well with the horror ambiance of the cartoon. Speaking of which: it very cleverly parodies many horror movies such as the Shining and Saw. Although this show is much, much darker, that's what makes it great. While the old ones were fun and goofy, this was somehow a breath of fresh air into a franchise that had a streak of bad shows.
3 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
My 4 yr old daughter LOVES this series
jada ann30 September 2010
Having to watch a LOT of Scooby Doo due to my daughters liking and being a long time fan myself, we are very happy with this series.

We welcome different takes on the gang and their stories- except for that awful Shaggy & Scooby-Doo Get a Clue! series. Ew.

The atmosphere and ambiance that the music, illustrations and story lines contain in each episode are fun and modernized. They have a bit more of a "mystery" feel to them.

We have watched all of the episodes of Mystery Inc. a gazillion times, The Hex Girls being my daughters favorite. My daughter and I love to curl up with a blanket and watch the new episodes, only there aren't any more new ones currently. We hope to see more.
6 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
........Wow. Just wow.
wile_E200515 November 2011
This is definitely not your usual Scooby-Doo. After a very cruel cartoon producer named Sander Schwartz came to Warner Bros. Animation and made that awful revival series known as "What's New Scooby-Doo" (and the studio followed up with the Loonatics version: "Shaggy and Scooby- Doo Get a Clue!"), I haven't trusted Warner Bros. Animation these days. So early last year when this new Scooby series and its sister show, "The Looney Tunes Show," were announced, I was skeptical, nervous they would screw it up all over again. But this review only focuses on the Scooby-Doo series (I will write another review about Looney Tunes as well.)

To start off, this is MUCH different from the past two shows. It's a lot better, too, though still not as good as the classic "Scooby-Doo, Where Are You?" This show is much darker, realistic and scarier, not to mention VIOLENT. There have been quite a few instance where the villain nearly murders someone (even coming close to killing the gang!), things are often breaking or blowing up, people actually die, there's a bit of visible blood, one episode even has a very graphic train wreck sequence! I am very surprised the show was rated TV-Y7-FV; if anything, it should be at least PG (like "The Looney Tunes Show" wound up with.) For once, the villains have often become much more scarier and menacing, even if most of the time they are not even real (like always!)

Additionally, the plots are still in most cases the usual "just a guy in disguise" format, with some lampooning (or none at all!) I do get a bit annoyed by how they still must always have to parody the meddling kids thing to death ("And I would've gotten away with it too if it weren't for you meddling *insert random noun here*!") But, unlike "What's new Scooby-Doo?", this show also shows more about the characters. We get to see them with their families, at home, on a date, even at school! (Surprisingly, their high school actually ALLOWS SCOOBY-DOO INSIDE THE BUILDING!) The whole "Mr. E" thing was also a nice touch, and kept me hooked to the show (even if a mention isn't done until the end.)

Fred was initially dumbed-down here, practically to "A Pup Named Scooby-Doo" levels! (They gave him that obsession with traps, he doesn't know how to work a record player, etc.) but he's improved with the second season. Daphne is still pretty much the same, and I enjoyed seeing her with her family or romance involving Fred. Velma has changed quite a bit, though. If you thought Velma's attitude was different in "What's New Scooby-Doo," here you will get quite a surprise. She had a crush on Shaggy (which he does not seem to return,) and is sometimes felt left out of the gang, and tends to have more of a devil-may-care attitude. She reminds me somewhat of Judy Funnie from "Doug." Shaggy and Scooby are pretty much the same, though. This series usually gives everyone a moment in the spotlight (unlike "What's New," which usually focused on Fred, Daphne and Velma, and the "Get a Clue" which just starred Shaggy and Scooby.) Sometimes the episodes will vary the focus on one character, sometimes the episode may be mostly about Fred, sometimes about Velma, sometimes about Daphne and her family, and we even got some pretty decent episodes about Scooby-Doo himself! Three of the best episodes so far for me was the one involving a dream sequence where Scooby-Doo teams up with the Funky Phantom, Captain Caveman, Speed Buggy and Jabberjaw to save the humans for their respective mystery-solving teams, as well as one episode featuring a return appearance by the Hex Girls (unlike their appearance in the disastrous What's New episode "The Vampire Strikes Back," this one is more faithful to their "Witch's Ghost" appearance), as well as one where Scooby-Doo and Shaggy are invited to dinner at the home of Vincent Van Ghoul (from "The 13 Ghosts of Scooby-Doo!")

The voices aren't too bad. Matthew Lillard's Shaggy still sounds good, and fits pretty well with this slightly younger Shaggy here; Grey DeLisle's Daphne still sounds the same since 2001, and Mindy Cohn's Velma still the same since 2002. Frank Welker's Scooby-Doo still at times sounds more like Brain from "Inspector Gadget" (I know, I compare it to Brain a lot) but I have gotten more used to it by now, and he can still voice Fred really well. In fact, in that crossover episode I mentioned, Frank Welker also reprises the role of Jabberjaw and does an excellent job with it! Being more "realistic," the use of the old Hanna-Barbera sound effects can vary wildly; some may have quite a few of them, some with a LOT (such as the crossover episode or the Dynomutt one), some with none at all. It seems to be more situational here, unlike with "What's New" and "Get a Clue's" more realism-driven scenarios.

Now to the animation. Even though they pretty much just write a script and then ship it off to Korea, the character designs aren't too bad. They have that "retro" look to them; in fact, it reminds me of the character redesigns utilized in the excellent 2001 Flintstones revival special "Flintstones on the Rocks." The gang is back in their classic 1969 outfits (big plus here!), with Velma wearing a couple of bows in her hair as well. Other characters also tend to have that 1970s H-B look to them, compared to the previous two shows which drew them in their typical WB "house" style.

Overall, a major step up for Scooby-Doo. It's still not as good as some of the made-for-video Scooby-Doo movies WB has been churning out since last year, though.
5 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Bad Fanfiction With Breathtaking Art Direction
LonghairedGerman30 August 2010
The newest "Scooby Doo" incarnation "Mystery Incorporated" is an insult to every real Scooby fan. Okay, technically it's still better than "The 13 Ghosts Of Scooby Doo" or "Shaggy & Scooby Doo Get A Clue", but these two never tried to be the definitive version of Scooby Doo. And as hard as "Mystery Incorporated" tries to be it, as hard it fails.

Let's start with the good stuff: Matthew Lillard, who recently became the official voice of Shaggy after Casey Kasem retired, does a very good job! That's no big surprise, considering how good he already was in the live action movies, but since then he got even better. Also the art direction of the show is awesome! Seriously, "Mystery Incorporated" is maybe the visually most stunning cartoon on TV right now! The background design is brilliant and how the show plays with colour and shadow is mind blowing! Too bad that that's everything good I can say about it.

As wonderful as the background art and colour pattern are, the character design is just plain awful. Fred has now such a huge, rectangular chin, that even Jay Leno would make fun of it. And Velma became way too skinny. (I guess there is no place for chubby girls in modern kids TV anymore. Hooray for anorexia!) And if the changes on the outside weren't bad enough, they also changed them from the inside too!

Fred is now a bumbling idiot. If you belong to the people who think that he was already in "What's New" too dumb, "Mystery Incorporated" could make your head explode! We are talking "A Pup Named Scooby Doo" stupidity here! He not just has a way too creepy obsession with traps of all kind, that makes him blind for everything that goes on around him, in one episode he even tries to play an 8-track tape on a turntable! Daphne made a few steps backwards in terms of emancipation and is now doing nothing else than adoring Fred, like a 10 year old girl adores a boygroup star. 99% of her dialogue in this show is about nothing else than how much she loves Fred. And he is of course too dumb to get it. And don't get me started with Velma. They took the smart and lovable girl we all know and turned her into an angry, mean-spirited, shallow sitcom nag, who is now Shaggy's girlfriend (Yay!), but is criticizing everything about him. How he talks, how he dresses, how he eats - and even how close he is with Scooby! Not to mention that she never used her brain in this show so far and even desecrated a cemetery when she got mad at Shaggy!

All this is wrapped up into some lame, cliché-filled and heavy handed teeny-drama, which is full of sitcom plots like "I heard a short, completely out of context bit of something you said and now I think you hate me". The writers call it "character development", but stripping everything that we liked away from the characters and turning them into hollow personalities, who only act like the next cheap plot device commands them to, is more a stultification of the audience.

Seriously, if you love Scooby Doo and especially the characters, don't watch "Mystery Incorporated". It will give you a headache and make you feel insulted. Too bad that the kids, who eat up every bad fanfiction and teen bopping drama on the CW will love it.
11 out of 31 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Scooby Doo done right!
Muneeb Alam9 May 2014
This is my first animated series (from Cartoon Network) that I finished all episodes of. I always loved Scooby Doo: Where are you? as a child but after that none of the spin-offs clicked me (Except that Zombie Island movie). However all changed this series.

• Not only this series develops round & dynamic personalities of "The gang" but introduces a whole new "series story arc" (Like a continuation of a whole bigger mysteries). Plus the romance and bonding together of the gang too

• Characters are seen interacting with others and these "others" are recurring characters for both seasons. Along with some other Hanna- Barbera retro cartoon characters cameo as well.

• "Monsters" are actually well done and although sometimes you know who it is (especially for first season), many a times it was surprising.

• The series also has references to old Scooby Doo: Where are you and characters' one liners (esp. Scooby & Shaggy) are really funny

Overall, this is an animated series done right. Since this is Cartoon Network, I can see why they kept it "not too mysterious & dark" for kids. However in my opinion, only people 13+ will appreciate the production. Nevertheless old Scooby Doo fans should give this a try, I did and I loved every clue of it...
2 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Cartoon masterpiece
Voxophone18 April 2018
I've been a Scooby Doo fan since I was an unborn babe and I've seen every iteration, film, comic; you name it. I'm there. And out of ALL of them, this is most definitely been the best.

The characters are finally fleshed out; Everyone makes little mistakes, develops and end up being so much more than just a catchphrase and a cliche.

The animation style took a little of getting used to for me but, you can absolutely tell that everyone adored doing this far more adult take on an absolute classic, with references to Galaxy Quest, SAW, Terminator and so many more; and not to mention subtle nods to the Scooby feature films and the original cartoons.

For some vague insight into specifics without spoiling anything; they had the nerve to KILL characters off. It has raised the bar of my expectations for Scooby features.

The best part is, the whole story is completely original. Even though it nods to all the classics (as previously mentioned), it gives you more an in-depth retelling of why they are who they are, with a stellar voice cast (I mean, as soon as I heard Patrick Warburton's voice, I was sold) and animation team. Even some of your questions that you've always had about the show get answered!

I cannot really put into (a small amount of) words just how amazing this turned out to be. But I really would urge you to sit it out and watch the lot, as the show really kicks off in season 2, for it's staggering grand finale.

Please for the love of god if you like Scooby even a little. Watch this show.

Immediately.
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
The best film for Scooby Doo!
silvermistvio8 February 2018
The best Scooby Doo film so far. The plot and stories are awesome. If I say this one makes a great film, you might say I'm a kid. I don't care no matter what you think, I just want to say what I want to say. Yes!!! This one is totally great one! *thumbsup*
Best Scooby show ever!
itsp4trik15 December 2017
Except a few episodes this is an amazing show. Definitely the best Scooby show. I like the improved characters and their back stories, and also the amazing animation.

All the characters are likeable (also the villains) and their elaborate stories are very interesting for me. Average rating of all the episodes for me is 7.7, so I rate it as 8/10. If you like old Scooby-Doo, it will be amazing for you.

I don't understand the critic reviews about: it will be more darker or serious... Hey, this is show primary for kids, it can't be extremely serious!
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
The best since Scooby-Doo! Where Are You?
aussiehall12 August 2017
Pros: Everything that isn't outlined below. I'm serious. This is as near to perfect as I'd hoped. The characters were fleshed out and had emotion to them. Even supporting characters like Hot Dog Water and Sheriff Bronson Stone had amazing moments. And the emotion that was felt in this series, my god, especially in the quieter character moments.

Cons: I feel they butchered Velma's character a bit. Having her hopelessly, some might say, obsessively in love with Shaggy was a big misstep in the show. The filler episodes were far too uninteresting. When we're getting so much plot from an overarching story, it feels disjointed to suddenly have to deal with a robot monster. Far too many technology based creatures, especially in season 2.

Overall, an amazing series with an established story and so, so, so many quotable lines. I will never gush about this series enough.
An Honest Review
generationofswine1 April 2017
This is right up there with 13 Ghosts...only better.

13 Ghosts was an 80s update that turned the mystery into adventure stories and it did work very well.

What's New, Scooby-Doo? was an updated version that was OK...but focused too much on being updated and kid friendly to the point where it lost some Scooby Fans.

Shaggy & Scooby-Doo Get a Clue! seemed to forget what Scooby Doo was all about, much like Be Cool, Scooby-Doo! forgets that Scooby has a certain feel behind it.

Mystery Incorporated, however is just brilliant.

It is updated enough where it works for today's time. It is light hearted enough for children to enjoy. It is spooky and dark enough for adults and...plus...the mega cherry...it is retro enough to not only reference the old Scooby Doo shows, but also reference the era that they all originally aired.

And, just to add more to it...it even references the animated movies.

It does it all with episodes that work as stand alone plots and all fit into an actual series wide chronology with an even bigger mystery to top it all off.

It is the best done Scooby reboot to date and one that successfully works for both a new generation of viewers and the old die hard Scooby Doo fans.

A must watch.