Special Forces (2011) Poster

Much better than I expected
jm-205-1217315 November 2011
Starts as the expected showy advertising for French armed forces (I love the genre but I understand it may not be everybody's cup of tea), then masquerades as some attempt at a lame military action storyline... And then before you know it you find yourself emotionally pulled into a story that provides its share of insights into the contemporary meaning of being a professional soldier. Obviously heavy support from the French armed forces to the production enables the attention to detail that provides credible full immersion into the environment through many vignettes. Stunning landscapes make that even better. Sure, a couple of tactical choices and implausible coincidences pivotal to the story look like concessions to the necessities of a Hollywood movie scenario... But I'll gladly forgive that - and the use of music too : the temptations of becoming a documentary or a caricature have been resisted after all, and what's left is an engaging survival story that will catch an audience far wider than the military niche.
76 out of 105 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Decent action movie that loses itself halfway through
D-Sligar25 January 2012
Okay, overall this was a pretty decent action film and all looked well up to half-way through the film. It was at this point the writer MUST have forgotten he had elite men in the special forces as the main characters. Why do I say this?

*** SPOILERS *** How is it that almost the entire team gets wiped out by the end and the waifish reporter is the only one that initially makes it out? The film will boggle your senses as you see the "elite" making some major boneheaded decisions that end up in them getting seriously injured or killed. Secondly, how is it that out of the entire team NONE of them carried any type of mass-injury inflicting devices; i.e., grenades and claymores (okay, they had at least one... but JUST one)??? You can clearly see the grenade launchers attached to their weapons, but not once do you see them use it.

Finally, the thing that really kills the movie is the entire lack of credibility given the shear numbers of "taliban-types" involved in the movie. You'd think they were like cockroaches hiding under every stone, nook and cranny... not to mention they never seem to die. When they initially go in to rescue the reporter, the team killed practically ALL of the taliban in the small hideout, then the leader shows up with maybe 10-12 more. The team ends up dropping at least half that number but the taliban keep increasing in numbers as if they're spawning in a freakin video game!!!

Then, when the choppers come in for extraction, do they have ANY type of air support at all? Nope, and a easily shoulder-launched rocket takes one out before they're even in the zone. Does the commander; er, admiral, send in another, better prepared extraction package? Nope, pretty much just leaves them s.o.l. Total b.s. and the lack of skill shown by the special forces team made it even worse. Not to mention the cost of lives just to save one reporter from a tenacious antagonist that proceeds with one-track terminator-like intent... not even worth it!

*** END SPOILERS ***

I kept wanting to just shut off the film after seeing all this b.s. just keep popping up, yet forced myself to finish the movie just to see if things ever got better. Nope, never did... suck waste of time. The film shots were nice, but there was hardly any dialogue total lack of character development. Watch only if there's nothing else on and you need an action movie fix (though, suspend rational thought when you do so). Not terrible, but not good either.
53 out of 80 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A pleasant surprise
jerome-stampe9 November 2012
While 'Forces Spéciales' has some shortcomings, I have to say I enjoyed watching it. Sure the team doesn't always look up to the task, a few actors may not be too convincing either (although most are) and one may wonder about the tactics used in the film.

What I liked about this movie was that the crew and cast went to Tajikistan to shoot the Afghanistan and Pakistan scenes which makes the whole story more realistic – American productions would usually settle for Morocco or Jordania but the scenery is not quite the same. Another quality in 'Forces Spéciales' is the storyline which is kept simple, there is not subplot or complicated background: A French reporter is kidnapped by the Talibans, a team of team of soldiers is sent to rescue her. Also, languages have not been unified into English, something Hollywood still has problems with regularly.

'Forces Spéciales' might not be the best action movie ever (I am not sure this is what it's supposed to be anyways) but it has nothing to be ashamed of in comparison to 'Act of Valor' which was a big disappointment for me.
20 out of 27 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
One of the Best and Most Underrated Action Movies I Have Recently Seen
claudio_carvalho14 July 2012
In Afghanistan, the French journalist Elsa (Diane Kruger) and her colleague Amen (Mehdi Nebbou) are covering the story of Maina (Morjana Alaoui), a woman that was sold to a man when she was a child. The Taliban leader Ahmed Zaief (Raz Degan) abducts Elsa and Amen and tries to force her to read a message to the Western governments.

The Frech president sends six Special Force men to rescue Elsa that his hidden in a fortress in Pakistan. The team composed by Commander Kovax (Djimon Hounsou), Tic-Tac (Benoît Magimel), Lucas (Denis Ménochet), the sniper Elias (Raphaël Personnaz), Victor (Alain Figlarz) and Marius (Alain Alivon) release Elsa and Amen from their imprisonment but they lose their radios. Now the group needs to cross the inhospitable land to save their lives with the Taliban chasing them.

"Forces Spéciales" is one of the best and most underrated action movies I have recently seen. The talented Diane Kruger is one of the most (if not the most) beautiful contemporary actresses and has an awesome performance in the role of a French journalist kidnapped by the Taliban.

The action scenes are excellent, with great choreography and it is funny to read reviews telling that they are unrealistic as if it was a documentary and not an action film. The film is engaging from the beginning to the last scene in the end of the credits and like in most European films, the cast speaks more than one language. My vote is nine.

Title (Brazil): "Forças Especiais" ("Special Forces")
61 out of 96 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not that good
lantis-esquin24 January 2012
Only minor spoilers...

I watched this movie because it was made by French and really hoped for some realistic "non-Luc Besson" action. I believed this movie would really show us how special forces work. And as for the first part of the movie (the rescue action) I really felt like I was there. It was all made believable and I was hungry to watch more. Unfortunately it soon took an ugly turn and the whole movie turned into some kind of a road movie without an interesting plot.

I took the first hint when our special forces are pursued by some 10 to 15 Taliban fighters. SF lie behind a rock and wait for them to come closer until they open fire. But guess what. They don't fire from behind the cover. Instead they choose to stand up (or kneel, whatever) and expose themselves to enemy fire. Of course none of them gets hurt but hey, isn't it better for your aim to lie down? And isn't int better for your safety to shoot from a cover?

The movie went on in this fashion and I soon realized what it means to be in special forces. It means to shoot the enemy (who is doing nothing but running towards you as if their guns only worked at 20 meters distance), you must always stand to provide a better target (preferably in an open area) and never rely on modern technology to get you out of enemy territory.

There was a bright side to this one as well. They did not use English as the first language in the movie (as they usually do). French was used, sometimes the native tongue and sometimes English. Special effects were also good but the special forces were definitely not...
44 out of 72 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Gets boring after a while
kochampivo8 March 2012
I am not going to watch this movie again. Why? Because there was few moments in the movie where it felt real. Although some of the actors like the female reporter did a good job of acting, the surroundings didn't seem to be following. The action part looked like any other with the bad guys falling like flies and the good guys standing exposed to the bullets and nothing hitting them. The bad guys resembled zombies and just walked towards the bullets to die as soon as they could. Whenever any of the good guys were hit, everybody cried and screamed like it was the end of the world and they had a lot of time mourning right in the middle of sustained shootings. But the bad guys didn't care dying and as mentioned fell like flies to the ground. The chase scene also didn't look real. While the heroes had to pass high altitude in extremely cold and snow storm, the bad guys suddenly appeared and surprised them. Unlike the heroes, they had little clothing and no sign of wear and exhaustion. This movie could be a lot better if the action scene were a bit more realistic and the bad guys had more character and looked smarter. Other stuff that I didn't like was the fact that these guys where not found although the military had hundreds of ways of finding them. They didn't search for them and these guys had nothing electronic to send a signal back to base although they had everything else imaginable like infinite number of bullets to shoot during their journey. Sometimes in the movie you could see that they had used ideas from other movies to make it more dramatic. You can of course watch this movie but don't be afraid to get disappointed.
52 out of 89 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
terrible and complete waste of time
zeenster10 January 2012
Wanted to watch an interesting show to distract me from life (at least for the duration of the movie) but to watch 2 hour of final destination combined with national geographic scenic aerial camera angles with suspend disbelief type combat (infinite ammo) just made me irritated. I have seen more realistic firefights in Xbox call of duty game (any of them). I would ask for money back if I could! Waste of time and the stranger next to me agreed because he was snoring through the second half.

The problem with the movie is that it takes itself too seriously but does not get the details right. No soldier in his right mind would a)stand on a ridge-line and fire at the enemy b) conduct most of the firefights standing (no matter how good it looks good on screen) c)have weapons only for show (the grenade launcher (noobtube) attached to their rifle is NEVER used) d) leave an empty cartridge jammed in the ejection port (in one of the scenes as they are walking, watch out for the gold cartridge) e) choose not to compromise the mission one day and then compromise it the next day f) ambush the enemy haphazardly (no plan of attack, no element of surprise and no clear leadership directions)
39 out of 68 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A Nutshell Review: Special Forces
DICK STEEL9 December 2011
Co-written and directed by Stephane Rybojad, this debut feature is impressive and remarkable considering the sheer logistics involved in having it filmed in Tajikistan passing off as Afghanistan and its tribal borders where the film was primarily set. Rybojad cut his teeth with countless of documentaries, some of which involved the French special forces, so to say that he brings a degree of realism to the film is an understatement, having first hand knowledge about the weapons and tactics, despite having to weave a fictional tale around it that will appeal to a broad audience.

With a host of rifle weaponry, high-tech equipment and decked to the nines by smaller arms to larger ones like the Super Puma choppers (amongst others) and boasting even an aircraft carrier, some may be quick to claim that the film is nothing but propaganda for the French armed forces. But that can be so far from the truth, because what Rybojad had done is to provide a tale about humanity both good and evil, and the dilemma that anyone entrusted with a life and death situation to deal with almost on a constant basis. With just gun battles alone one may be better off with a computer game, but the story here, no matter how standard and cliché at times it may seem, worked without attempting to do more than it's capable of, knowing its limits and sticking very much to its strengths, despite having its final act a little bit clunky and a pivotal scene that turned out to be quite unbelievable in terms of geography, but with narrative films there's always the element of chance and coincidence otherwise nothing would actually happen.

While it's not everyday that we get to see a French action film, and one based on a uniformed group at that (the last being the GIGN in the film The Assault, which is based on a factual, historical incident), and this one in some ways reminded me of the Hollywood film Tears of the Sun by Antoine Fuqua. Both films feature a group of special forces troopers being tasked with an extraction mission, only to come face to face with a numerically superior opposition, having to battle the enemy while protecting their mark, and having the latter female and strong willed and at times at loggerheads with the mission objective, influencing how the troopers will function as a unit and having to constantly review whether they should just follow orders, or go about on a wider humanitarian mission that doesn't betray the conscience.

There's no Bruce Willis here, but Djimon Hounsou takes the charge as the leader of a group of six men in total tasked with a reconnaissance mission at first to uncover the whereabouts of the kidnapped journalist Elsa (Diane Kruger), before having their mission immediately turned to one of extraction. It may seem like an open and shut, routine mission with highly skilled, trained and equipped men balancing the odds of being numerically disadvantage, if not for Michael Cooper and Stephane Rybojad's story throwing a spanner in the works by taking out all their communications equipment very early on, rendering a change in their LZ impossible, and being left to their own devices to escape from Elsa's Taliban captors who are fast closing in on them. The structure here may seem similar to Tears, but it doesn't come with any requisite twists and turns. In fact the enemy may well be the harsh terrain and sub zero temperatures the group has to battle against, and for those pampered by things blowing up in the first half of the film, this portion on may seem like an anti-climax, especially when the story seemed to lose its tight grip on the plot, and made concessions to allow for closure.

The introduction was what set the stage with a glimpse of how tight the Special Forces work, flying in with their choppers on a mission to capture a war criminal, and a number of set action pieces to whet the appetites of the action junkie from the actual rescue of Elsa and the protection of tribal villagers who had shown them hospitality. But ultimately the story never allows you to forget about each of the characters, giving each some very strong identifiers that you'll feel for them especially since Cooper and Rybojad shows no mercy if any were to slip up and be complacent, never in their intention to build supermen or a super team, even if early skirmishes may seem to suggest something like that. It is this avoidance of caricatures that makes you feel for the safety of everyone each time a shot rings out, and as weapons and ammunition become light, fuses a real sense of danger and fear. The villains however are plainly one-dimensional, even for the chief terrorist Zaief (Raz Degan), who has no lack of scenes to show why he's pure evil and is one to be gotten rid of.

Still, Special Forces ranks up there with the many films from around the world about specially trained men and women in uniform being called upon to put their lives at the forefront in the protection and well being of others, and you can either view this as a purely action flick, or a tribute to the spirit of the such groups, with a stark comment as explained by a character, that it's better to go in a blaze of glory, than to live a life of anonymity.
39 out of 68 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Cheesy propaganda
sziangstorage23 February 2012
This film is just like the tear of the sun. Military sponsored highly propaganda film. The editing is bad as I get dizzy keep seeing quick changing scene. I know they shot this in location, but they have to keep doing this wide angle spin shot on top of some mountain every time they think they have a great scene. Dialogue are cheesy and brain dead. And they keep showing their military equipments, maybe trying to justify to their french tax payer of their high rates. The stereotype message that I got from this movie, bad guys all has a camcorder ready to film some ransom with some back drop Arabic wordings and disrespects women.
39 out of 70 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
standard combat film
dmuel26 December 2011
Forces Speciales tells the story of the French Special Forces and their mission, in this instance, to save journalists who have been kidnapped by the Taliban in Afghanistan and taken to the tribal areas of Pakistan. The covert operation develops complications and the sole lure of the movie is to discover whether the mission will succeed or fail; will they live or die.

As one reviewer notes, the movie is nearly a commercial for the French Special Forces, and the plot of the movie, what there is of it, involves a kill-crazed Al Qaeda leader and his nameless and near-faceless band of zombie-like henchmen who relentlessly pursue their victims. Whoever gets in the way of this insane band of thugs, Afghan, Pakistan, foreign soldier or whatever, they seem to crave killing them quickly. And, the supply of these killers seems limitless, offering the viewer ample opportunities to watch them machine-gunned down in large numbers by the heroes, including a few scenes that include an accompanying heavy-metal music soundtrack.

Yes we see the heroism, self-sacrifice and compassion of the gallant French warriors, along with the typical scenes of male-bonding. But much of this movie is standard fair for the genre, and a very one-dimensional look at the problems of this troubled area of the world. If you think that suits your taste, go for it! One last comment, when will we stop seeing overweight, gray-haired men portraying elite commandos? This is a young man's occupation. I'm surprised we didn't see Jean Reno as the commando leader, but that would have been even more difficult to believe.
45 out of 83 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Great Movie!
dustyn-barlow29 April 2015
Wow wow wow where to begin... I started this movie with the expectation that it was going to be just a campy B-Movie, with some cool action scenes and cheesy one liners (with a generic name like "Special Forces"). Little did I know I sat through 2 hours of the best choreographed, best acted, and most heart wrenching tale, I have seen in a long time. It is pretty much the French version of Sole Survivor. Djimon Hounsou strikes again as one of the best actors I have ever seen, I consider my self a "tough guy", but his emotional moments had me fighting back the tears. Another favorite character of mine was Raphaël Personnazs' character of the Rookie Elias. He was that guy we all want to be when we think of a hero. He always acts without regard to himself to save lives, and is torn apart seeing Innocent people killed, but the movie does a good job of showing that war is a terrible thing. Lastly as being someone whom served in Afghanistan, I can say the military choreography was spot on. The actors did an excellent job of of reenacting combat. This is a must see and I already ordered the Blue Ray off Amazon, because this is a must watch, and I want it in my movie library. 5 out of 5
15 out of 24 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The CO Should Be Fired
georget-115 October 2012
First, while I really like this genre as well as many gritty French policiers movies, Special Forces was a big disappointment. The "elite" team sent in to rescue the journalist was no more competent than a band of Eagle Scouts would have been in that situation. The team parachutes into Pakistan during broad daylight and gently floats to earth interminably circling one another like a gaggle of sport jumpers. An incursion into Pakistan with any chance of success would require a night drop and HALO techniques. Without the use of camouflage sticks to darken their faces, they blithely launch, again, a daylight assault on a heavily guarded compound, of which they have little intelligence. They scoop up their objective, the reporter, and make a run for it, but of course, there was no interdiction personnel assigned to destroy or hinder the Talib reinforcements. Of course things get worse when their sole means of communication is destroyed and they can't contact higher headquarters. The helos assigned to recover them fly in, broad daylight, get chased away by Talib gunfire causing our plucky band to have to high tail it over the Hindu Kush mountains back into Afghanistan. Didn't anyone ever hear of redundant comm systems, and backup extraction points? Apparently not, so with the Talibs in full pursuit they trek onwards. Disregarding any sense of security they blithely walk into a Pakistani village hoping that the locals will be friendly. Of course they are, which results in a playful game of keep away with one of the soldier's hats, much more important than perimeter security, and oops, one of the solders gets sniped. How was he part of the unit anyway as it looked as if he was serving as an ANF assistance instructor when the team arrived in country? Anyway, after clearly exposing themselves by walking on every ridgeline in the country, more soldiers die and the Talib numbers grow. After seemingly evading being overrun by weathering a snowstorm, the half dead survivors are suddenly ambushed by the chasing Talibs who are all fresh as daisies. How did they get there? The amount of ammo expended by our heroes would require a deuce-and-a-half to carry, yet despite sending 10s of thousands of rounds downrange do they happen to carry any grenades or claymores? Nope. Finally, by sheer luck, the reporter is found and she pluckily helps the SAR team find the team survivors, now reduced to two. Most likely they'll receive the Legion d'Honneur medal, but what they really need is a refresher course at basic infantry training school.
11 out of 17 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Loved this more than Zero Dark Thirty and other SpecOps movies
Jeffrey-Pugh5 June 2013
I'm embarrassed to write a glowing review, despite the nasty vitriol that other reviewers have directed at it. Good story, good acting (especially Diane Kruger in the role of Elsa), good action sequences, well-filmed and beautiful (if forbidding) country.

**SPOILERS BELOW**

But what I loved most was how under-stated and unpredictable this movie was in a so un-American way. From the beginning to the end, I really had no idea whether the team would waltz in, rescue Elsa, and waltz out without any problems (although it seemed unlikely when we were only 30 minutes in at the rescue), or whether they would all fail. Or who would die (Elsa? Ahmed Zaief? the Special Forces soldiers?)

When Zaief is shot and killed at the movie's climax, there is barely a half-second spent on him. No slow-mo, no absurd commentary from Elsa, no sigh of relief. The very real emotion is saved for the deaths of their comrades.

I admit that there are some glaring inconsistencies: the endless ammunition (on both sides), the lack of communication devices, the punishing climb through the mountains. But I didn't find these terribly distracting and don't this movie is any worse in this regard than others.

12 out of 19 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Good acting, but totally unrealistic
snowmobil926 March 2012
The first part of the movie was pretty good and realistic, but after they freed the journalist and that other guy it just got worse and worse.

I mean these guys are special forces, but instead of taking cover, they just stand there shooting, ofc not one of them gets hit.

When the taliban sniper takes out one of them and Elias (their sniper) goes after him, he runs out of the village, goes down, aims, takes his first shot. Hits him in the leg. Now the enemy sniper is in pain, and won't be able to shoot for at least several seconds. But instead of taking a follow-up shot, what does he do? He gets up and runs another 50 meters, lets the enemy sniper take a shot at him and then finally kills him.

And it goes on and on...

But yea if these things don't bother you, i guess you should give this movie a chance, the rest was pretty good.
22 out of 40 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Good action, little logic
jackal-756-11972421 November 2011
Usually the action in these types of films tends to be very realistic and this one doesn't disappoint in that area. All of the action is done nicely in co-operation with the army, it looks good and credible. The problem I have with this film is the overall story - an elite group of soldiers on a rescue mission and when it goes bad they create a backup plan (considering the mission type seems highly unlikely that they already didn't have one) is to start climbing over mountains to head to safety. And in the process their chasers keep coming at them by running straight into their line of fire again and again failing every attempt, never changing their strategy or attack method. Even if we leave the lateral out it gets worse. The film portraits the difficulties of professional soldiers on a run but at no point do they show or consider that the same difficulties also apply to their chasers (who don't have such military training), they just keep popping up never tired or low on ammo (this also applies to special forces, reload anyone?). Considering it's a movie we can expect the previous faults and forgive them. Still I was hoping for a more tactical approach from the special forces, not just running around sacrificing men until they run out.
21 out of 38 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Unrealistic and crappy.
zunia9929 March 2012
No defend formation and standing without cover while shooting to approaching enemy? They don't care about defending formation. Kids or scouts can do better. They have no communications with their ship. Come on! A few GPS receivers and Iridium or Thuraya satellite phones cost less than one rifle! Just send SMS with coordinates of your new pick up location. There is coverage in Pakistan. Engaging in defending the village and ignoring orders looks like they are not trained soldiers but bunch of irresponsible hotshots. Everything is so predictable like in teenage movies. Some say it's just special forces commercial and it looks like it's true. I give it two stars because there was some nice shooting. The whole story is crappy.
16 out of 30 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Good action movie, not so good survival drama.
TdSmth519 March 2016
In the intro a French special forces team is in Kosovo to get a notorious war criminal. Unlike a US mission that would send maybe 1 chopper and 3 or 4 guys, the French send 5 or 6 choppers and countless guys. For some reason all these choppers don't seem to get noticed by the bad guys. Of course our team gets the guy no problem.

Next in Afghanistan, a French reporter interviews an Afghan girl. She's interviewed her before. The girl tells her the story of how she was sold into marriage. Her husband--the big bad local Taliban leader. I guess the Taliban discover that the girl is spilling her guts and when she leaves she's grabbed by dozens of Taliban. Our intrepid reporter decides she's going to rescue the girl with her two local helpers. Of course they immediately are grabbed as well and we meet the Taliban boss who wants her to to recite one of those confessions for the camera. She refuses and one of her helpers gets his throat slashed.

Back in Paris, the French government immediately launches a rescue mission--it's our team from the intro. The courageous French president of course doesn't think twice about agreeing to the risky mission to rescue a single reporter. When the team arrives in Pakistan where the captives are being held they witness the Taliban killing the Afghan girl. The team finds the reporter, Elsa, and her local assistant, Amen and rescue them. But the Taliban are on their tail. So they miss the rendezvous with the chopper and are on their own now with hordes of Taliban chasing them.

Several firefights and injuries ensue. The team leader decides they will walk to Pakistan!?! Crossing the Hindu Kush mountain range no less!?! Before the border they stop at a village. But soon the Taliban arrive. Amen decides to stay back because he knows the Taliban will wipe out the villagers. So Elsa also decides to help Amen and that forces the entire team to become "humanitarians" as the team leader complaints. Eventually they leave for the snowy mountains and everything that can go wrong, does go wrong. Of course there will be a final confrontation with the Taliban leader.

Special Forces is a rather odd French action survival drama propaganda movie. Odd because the action is realistic and great, but then the story is so unbelievable and the heroics so forced and some of the behaviors so nonsensical. We learn very little about our team. At some point before the Afghan mission they are at a party and one of them is presented as a main character, but he's also one of the less likable guys. The team is a strange mishmash of people, most of which don't look the part. The more interesting character is that of the young sniper. Initially, he's got issues killing people it seems, but what choice does he have. I guess French snipers work in solitary not as a team, so he's always off by himself to flank the bad guys.

Now, is it fair to ask for realism from a propaganda film? And as far as I could tell from the end credits there was some French government involvement aside from the usual financing. The way this movie was filmed you almost expect them to tell you that it was inspired by real events. And the movie does go beyond just presenting Western heroics versus the evil guys. The Taliban leader does get to complain about Western imposition of democracy at gun point. He does seek consultation with some higher ups and he's made to appear like a loose cannon. Our team also avoids stating political opinions but leave that to the politicians. The movie portrays the Western armed forces' habit of witnessing horrors and not intervening. Then it does a nice job of showing the Afghan village tradition of giving hospitality to all who ask for it, whether friend or foe.

It's a bit surprising that this movie precedes the American war propaganda films and unlike these, it's not afraid to harm its characters. Overall, Special Forces has strong first and second acts. But these are short. The long final act/journey gets tedious.
5 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Horrible screenplay
mactoday8 March 2012
Horrible screenplay, one stupid French journalist killed with her stupid actions in Pakistan the whole special forces that came to rescue her from talibs. Movie show heroism of French soldiers and how stupid their commanders who doesn't provide satellite phones to French special forces and can't organize the rescue with 2 military helicopters and at least one transport helicopter to save life of this poor French special forces. Well, it's wouldn't be a movie if there was a satellite phone and two military helicopters to cover withdrawal of special forces. I feel sorry for poor French soldiers and I feel sorry for director and screen writer of this movie.
25 out of 52 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Honestly, One Of The Best Action Movies I Have Seen In A Long Time!
rodstar_c16 March 2012
Firstly, this is my first review ever...

I'm not going to tell you what happens in the movie at all, as that irritates me when that is someone's review...Why do people do that?

I watched this movie thinking it might be OK...

The movie is engrossing right from the start and I think it was about a third of the way through when I thought to myself, this is going to be a great movie and it definitely did not disappoint me, right up to the very end!

To me it could believably be a true story, as the realism and emotional journey of this story is breath taking!

This movie gets a 10/ 10 from me and a "10" is definitely rare to be given by me!

I hope you enjoy it as much I did...
17 out of 34 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Worth a look but not brilliant or original or quite believable
secondtake6 February 2014
Special Forces (2011)

The main reason to see this movie is to get a look at a French parallel to American war movies set in Afghanistan. There are clear similarities, and even some borrowed clichés (assuming the American movies created the clichés—mostly from earlier war movies). And there are some interesting differences, like the way the characters are developed and their slightly different sense of camaraderie.

The bulk of this movie is similar to many adventure films. A group of "good guys" is trying to escape from forces of evil that want to kill them. This is on the border of Pakistan and Afghanistan, and the "bad guys" are some extremist Taliban (if that's not redundant). The main bad guy conveniently speaks perfect Oxbridge English (not French) and is thoughtful and thoughtless at once.

All of this seems like good stuff, and it is somehow interesting for its uniqueness coming out of French movie-making and French national pride. Don't expect any soul searching here, or actual revelations about character or even about the cause of war. The good and evil aspects are simply given, and then shown in the usual way. What sustains the movie through all this is that it's very well done, and the acting (and therefore the characters) are quite believable. There is true heroism and suffering. And a taut suspense in many scenes.

It's too long by far, however, and there is a huge chuck of the movie where the group, with its shrinking numbers, struggles through the mountains that seem to become impossibly snowy and alpine. It isn't clear why the French military gives up trying to save them after dropping them in enemy territory. The Americans, who would have been there more or less de facto, are not mentioned or hinted at (which I don't mind, but it's not quite realistic as the crisis gets worse).

There's even an improbable moment, after days of absolute struggle through some high snowy terrain, that the bad guys show up as if they took a taxi. Maybe they did. But it's all so convenient and packaged.

So, take it for what it is. Well done, solid in some ways, and wobbly in its larger arc.
10 out of 19 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Bad Screenplay, Bad Acting
shamalk7 March 2012
Scenes change every 30 seconds. Acting is really fake. Waste of time. Music and rapid camera movements does not imply it's action movie. Couldn't watch more than 10 minuets. There's no logic for the story. And there's no story at all. Can't believe people invest money on this type of movie. I'd say again don't waste time. Awful screenplay. Looks like someone joined some random shots at a dessert. Nothing more to say. I totally agree with D-Sligar's review: "I kept wanting to just shut off the film after seeing all this b.s. just keep popping up, yet forced myself to finish the movie just to see if things ever got better. Nope, never did... suck waste of time. The film shots were nice, but there was hardly any dialog total lack of character development. Watch only if there's nothing else on and you need an action movie fix (though, suspend rational thought when you do so). Not terrible, but not good either."
20 out of 44 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Excellent -Surprisingly Very Good Movie!
Ladybbird-269-94514618 January 2012
"Special Forces" Released 8 Nov 2011. That is the best movie I have seen in a very very long time, (years in fact). The acting, scenery, direction and production were excellent and the scenery was breathtaking.

You should watch it, It was about the French Special Forces against the Afghanistans (A woman French journalist and her aide in Afghanistan is kidnapped by the Taliban.)

Nothing is lost by the movie language being in French and English. You felt the tension all the way through and it kept your attention right up to the end.

It was one of those movies that you wished would never end. The effort made in ensuring every detail was correct, was worth it. I very nearly didn't watch it as I thought it may be another of those US Special Forces movies, where everyone is a hero and nobody dies. Not the case in this one,,,,, it was very sad at what happened to them.

I doubt this will win any awards or Oscars from Hollywood, which is sad,,,,they are not part of the Hollywood "luvies"
20 out of 45 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Terrible name...but a great believable war movie
picknmix32130 May 2016
PLEASE, PLEASE PLEASE, do not let the name of this movie put you off. I say this because it put me of for nearly a year...I kept seeing it scroll past on my Amazon prime...eventually I noticed Djimon Hounson was in it and he is someone I think is such an under-rated actor (nominated for two Oscars for your information). If you've never see Blood Diamond, watch it, his performance is incredible and should have won him the Oscar in my opinion. Anyway the name of the film and the DVD image give the impression of a Chuck Norris 'Delta Force' clone. Well, it couldn't be further from the truth. This is a 'believable' war movie. A believable story with believable characters in believable action scenes. Some don't get as much characterisation as others but that can't be helped due the type of story it is. A squad of Commandos being hunted by the Taliban. You become invested in their lives when things start to go wrong; with a couple scenes so well filmed and edited (sound as well) that I found myself tearing up. Please give it a try if you like your war movies believable...
5 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Enjoyable for Action Adventure Emotional Drama
kevindahlen11 May 2013
War movies are one of my favorite types of movie genres is war films, but I still like this movie even though it is not a good war film, but more of an emotional drama, with lots of bullets flying to pacify the person enjoys war flicks.

The name is ridiculous. The tactics displayed in this movie having nothing to do with Special Forces. Special Forces units do not behave at all like they did in this film, with the exception of being brave. The opening scene shows a stealth interdiction team pouncing on an warlords compound in Kosovo, yet while they have gained surprise in the middle of the interdiction four helicopters converge on the compound. Why? So the enemy can turn and run? Why do the stealth portion if your going to do a "smash and grab"? Then the main plot of extracting a female reporter makes no sense. In this mission they come in stealthy, extract the target, and have no support whatsoever once the mission has been "completed" and the extraction is over. Why? Ummm, I have no idea, I guess because "all" of their radios were damaged? Huh? Why would loosing your radios stop the extraction process? Regardless of radio contact they would have an extraction meet-up point. They do not determine these locations on the fly, in fact they will have several options to choose from during the mission. Yet the French military did not meet them anywhere.

Their fighting tactics were extremely flawed as well as many have already pointed out. So why did I enjoy this film? Certainly not from its military standpoint, that's for sure. The human elements of the film were strong. There was one scene where they go back and fight for a village that assisted them (ala Tears of the Sun), and the dedication of the men to each other as well as completing the mission. The reporters attachment to the soldiers is compelling as well because she did not naturally align herself with them initially being a liberal reporter.

The entire chase scenario simply never did make any sense from why they were abandoned in the first place, to why they stopped and fought on two occasions, but ran during the rest of the film, and how the Taliban forces made it across the mountain range with next to no gear. In fact in one scene, the leader of the team announced, "Welcome to Afghanistan.", when in fact they had just left Afghanistan!

But all of the military "Rambo'ish" triflings are just window dressings to a movie about the human spirit, and why people will live and die for others they barely even know, and I found that side of the film compelling. If you want to see a good movie about Special Forces, watch "Act of Valour". If you want to watch an action adventure that has a lot of shooting, but your girlfriend might actually enjoy, Special Forces is your choice :)
5 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not bad - not brilliant but OK
daggersineyes8 March 2016
I'm not a big fan of war flicks or movies about military but I can be drawn in if it's well written and suspenseful enough. One of my favourite TV shows was The Unit. I was worried this would be rubbish tho because so many in this genre are but it was actually pretty good. Sure there are some problems with believability but I don't expect movies to be "real" - only real enough to make it work. In fact I often find "realistic" movies boring as bat guano and wonder why they didn't just call it a documentary & be done with it. Anyway, back to the point. I think this is worth renting as long as you don't have too high expectations. It's fun, action packed, has it's drama and pathos, gives some great insight into the politics & life in that region and is sympathetic & intelligent in it's treatment of local people struggling under the rule of the Taliban. The main actors are mostly good, I particularly like the dude who is in charge of the rescue team. Good acting from him and Diane Kruger. Diane was so good she actually made me seriously dislike her character in the first half of the movie. I just thought the woman was a complete idiot who caused the death of a bunch of people unnecessarily. By the end of the movie tho I felt more kindly towards her. SO the point of this rambling review is, don't worry about the negative reviews. The movie has enough action, authenticity and good production/cinematography to get it past the down sides such as ridiculous behaviour of the "elite" forces & cheesy dialogue. LOVED the last scene (After the titles) so make sure you stick around for it.

Have fun and don't take stuff too seriously ;)
4 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.