Safe (2012) Poster

(I) (2012)

'Safe' Review - Jason Statham, enough said.
chrisvales24 April 2012
After watching the trailer when it was first released, I didn't feel what I always feel when I see Jason Statham in an action movie, which is giddy. There was something missing, but how can I say no to Jason Statham in an action packed movie? I just can't. 'Safe' ended up being good. Not great, just good. The beginning was a little slow, but the way they told the story, was a bit of bouncing back between Luke Wright (Jason Statham) and Mei (Caroline Chan), so it didn't really come out running, but I guess I can't complain too much about it because it definitely picked up after. As I stated earlier, how can I say no to Jason Statham in an action movie. The action was amazing. It's that kind of action where the audience is either clapping or yelling, "Ooooohhhh snap!!!" followed by some laughing. The storyline was decent, I mean, it didn't really stand out and there are a few scenes where you can probably figure out what's going to happen, but it got the job done. The acting was sub-par once you take out Jason Statham and Catherine Chan (Mei), who I thought did a really good job for her first Hollywood movie. There were a few cheesy lines, some epic quotes, one of which I put in the subject title and I'm sure you'll enjoy it too when you hear it and some funny moments; more than you usually expect from an action movie, which wasn't so bad.

'Safe' is your typical Jason Statham action flick. I think it's fair to say, we don't watch Jason Statham movies expecting Oscar nominations; we watch his movies mainly because the action is phenomenal. If you want to watch a good, action packed movie, then 'Safe' is a safe bet this weekend. See what I did there?
102 out of 120 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not bad. Kept me entertained
MR_Heraclius23 February 2020
Safe - Quick Review: Safe is a very interesting movie starring Jason Statham who gives a very good performance.Also this movie has good directing with not-so-well shot action but the sound effects are awesome nonetheless.The story while a bit cliche,is still very interesting until the very end.I really enjoyed this movie it's certainly one of the better Statham action flicks overall.
41 out of 47 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Entertaining yet forgettable
Pycs3 May 2012
'Safe' is the latest vehicle to showcase Jason Statham's ability to punch, kick, and shoot various henchmen. The plot here plays more of a role than compared to past JS films, as this one involves a young Chinese girl with a brilliant memory who's wanted by both the Russian and Chinese mob, aided by corrupt cops, and it's just to a down-on-his-luck Jason Statham to save the day.

When watching a film like this, suspending your disbelief is a must, which is just a given. Things happen in this movie that not only wouldn't be possible, but you wonder how some characters can escape out of situations not only alive, but untouched. But this was actually one of my favorite Stathom movies in a while. I despised his recents efforts in throwaway films like The Mechanic and Killer Elite. It hasn't been since Transporter 3, another mindless romp, that I've enjoyed one of films this much.

The film's worth seeing if you're an action movie fan with some time to kill, in sort of a Sunday afternoon stay at home type of way. You'll cringe at the acting and dialogue of the little Chinese girl, but you'll be entertained.
75 out of 93 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Statham always a 'Safe' bet
Fluke_Skywalker28 June 2013
After a decade of indifference, I've started to come around a bit on Jason Statham. He's like the McDonald's of actors. Let me explain.

McDonald's makes Big Macs, each and every one identical in looks and taste to the other. Jason Statham makes Jason Statham movies, each and every one identical... you get the idea. And also like Big Macs, some of his movies are fresher than others. Safe qualifies as one of his fresher efforts. Not hot off the grill fresh, but not 20 minutes under a heat lamp either.

Tightly paced, competently acted and filled with slightly above average fight scenes, Safe is the kind of movie that will satiate you until a tastier movie comes along.
26 out of 30 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Pure cinematic entertainment
wighfive24 April 2012
saw the public screening of Safe in a film festival.Frankly speaking I was stunned by the movie.Simple plot but the twists and turns in the movie were amazing.I will not reveal the plot details because you will loose interest in it.It's slick,stylish and high on acting and visual effects.

Jason is the man who reigns supreme in this film and leaves a strong impression on the audiences mind with his stellar performance. His smile, dialogue delivery and every expression deserves a bow.

The director Boaz Yakin handles the scenes well and never lets the adrenaline rush or the script to fall flat. He keeps the audiences glued to their seat and this versatile man gives as a slick action thriller which is far better than Haywire,The Mechanic or Killer Elite.

The script is well written and every scene is well handled. Dialogues are brilliant and none of the scene fall flat. No unnecessary toilet humour and soundtracks have made the film even more appealing.

Safe is an amazing movie with unforgettable action scene and car chase sequences and one of the best of Jason Statham. Highly Recommended.
120 out of 161 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
'SAFE' is a safe bet for Jason Statham fans!
Hellmant15 May 2012
'SAFE': Three and a Half Stars (Out of Five)

Jason Statham action vehicle written and directed by Boaz Yakin. Yakin's previous directing efforts include 'REMEMBER THE TITANS', 'UPTOWN GIRLS' and 'FRESH', so a B action film starring Jason Statham is an interesting choice for the filmmaker. The story revolves around Statham playing an ex-cagefighter who's made enemies with the Russian mob and corrupt NYC police department that comes to the aid of a young girl wanted by both. The movie is surprisingly unsentimental and a pretty hard hitting action film. Statham fans should be more than pleased.

Statham plays Luke Wright, a small time MMA fighter who fails to throw a fight and pisses off everyone who was betting against him, including the Russian mob. The mobsters kill his wife and threaten him with the knowledge that he'll always be watched and anyone he befriends or even comes in to contact with will be killed. So he travels the streets of New York City alone, depressed and ready to kill himself until he meets a young girl named Mei (Catherine Chan) in need of his help. Mei is an eleven-year-old mathematical genius who was forced to work for the Triad and now holds the code to an important safe in her head. She's wanted by the Triad, Russian Mafia and corrupt NYC cops. Luke takes it upon himself to help her and of course finds a new reason to live.

The premise and adds could lead you to believe that this is another cheesy and sappy action star befriending kid film but Jason Statham fans can rejoice in the fact that he doesn't take that path. Statham is a much more respectable and high moraled movie tough guy than the likes of The Rock and Vin Diesel. At least thus far in his career he can't be labeled a sellout. This film is about as violent and brutal as any film Statham has done. Thanks in large part to Yakin's decent directing. The script could have used some work; it's routine and lacking bite. The story of Statham befriending the little Chinease girl does still have some heart and emotion though, but just the right amount. As far as Statham action films go this one is about average. Exactly what I expect from one, no more and no less.

Watch our movie review show 'MOVIE TALK' at: http://youtu.be/cqKPD4ZNLxM
46 out of 58 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Fast paced action, wrapped into a decent story.
Oliver-S-K11 June 2012
Mei (Catherine Chan) is a little genius when it comes to numbers. She can remember everything and calculate anything in her mind. That's why she's very valuable for the Chinese Triads, who use her as a computer that can't be hacked or traced. One day, she's asked to memorize a long number and drive to another place to learn a different one. But the Russian mob steps in and assaults her ride, killing almost everyone. Mei can escape and this is when she meets Luke Wright (Jason Statham). Former elite cop, former small time MMA fighter, on the run from the Russian mob who lost a bunch of money for betting against him in a match and killed his wife in revenge. The will to protect this little girl gives him a new will to live, a drive to go on. And so they run away; away from the Triads, the mob and the corrupt NYPD, trying to figure out why everyone wants either those numbers or her death.

It's a bit of Mercury Puzzle and 16 Blocks. And despite my usual fears, the story did not turn cheesy due to the kid. But the girl didn't turn into an unrealistic bad ass as well. Also they did not develop a forced deep relationship between Luke and Mei, which would be unrealistic, considering that the story doesn't go that long. The film is featuring fast paced action, wrapped into a decent (though not great) story and is supported by good acting. Well, at least good acting from the leading characters, but the supporting ones weren't that bad as well, so you don't have to suffer from it. So overall, a quite enjoyable movie, which I would recommend to fans of story driven action movies and especially to all Statham fans.

Just for fun, let's check the Statham clichés. Shirtless? Yep, first time you see him in the movie. Car-chase? Of course. And when Mei was a bit concerned about his driving style, I was just waiting for a comeback from him that was like "Don't worry kid, I've been doing this for several movies now."
35 out of 46 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Safe Works
jon.h.ochiai29 April 2012
Ironically, the most frustrating aspect of "Safe" is reading the streaming subtitles for Russian and Chinese. Being that I speak neither I'm straining to absorb the detailed dialogue and narrative threads. Yes, Director and Writer Boaz Yakin's story is far from complex, but you forget that the words really don't matter here. Jason Statham is the badass with a big heart protecting a young Chinese girl prodigy played by Catherine Chan from the Russian mob and the Triad, because she memorized a series of numbers that accesses dire information. Much of "Safe" is sheer brute force. Statham's signature strike to the bad guy's trachea punctuates this. Statham's fighting sequences are high impact and resonate with awesome speed and power.

Curiously, many critics slam Statham and Yakin for doing formulae and not stretching Statham's range. This is craftsman-like formulae. Statham delivers the action we want to see on screen. The fight scenes in the Russian and Triad clubs are amazing. I particularly loved the scene where Statham's Luke meets Chan's Mei in the New York subway. Statham viciously disposes the Russian thugs after Mei with hooks, kicks, throws, and joint shattering locks. He is the best martial arts action star right now. He always offsets his physical elegance and power with a gruff austere visage. I think he actually displays more of his humanity than in other movies. He tears as he surrenders himself to the men who murdered his wife and child. What makes "Safe" work is Statham and Chan's gentle bond.

Chan is more than just the cute kid in peril. She makes Mei even smarter than she lets on. She is the math genius forced to memorize a series of numbers. In a quiet scene Mei tells Luke, "They are not random." Luke gets, "They're a code." Don't under estimate the enrollment of Statham as protector of Chan. Chan's Mei confesses to Luke, "I don't need another father. I need a friend." I loved when Luke tells Mei that she will be safe "until my dying day".

When we meet Luke (Statham) in the present and through a series of flashbacks, he appears as a second rate cage fighter, now homeless. He mistakenly floors a YouTube sensation (nice touch by Yakin) in a fight, and puts him in the hospital. The Russian mob kills his wife and unborn child, because he did not throw the match. A lot does not add up. Luke is a world class fighter. There is more to his pathology that the script should have shaded. It turns out Luke was one of the toughest cops in the city, who had honor in a corrupt police force. More so his relationship with evil Chris Sarandon as Mayor Tremello hints at Luke's darker origins as Black Ops assassin. Luke's former partner now enemy Alex (charismatic Anson Mount) is the sellout who still works for the Mayor. Mei (Chan) is the innocent math prodigy brought over to the States to work for the Triads. Leader Han (paternally evil James Hong) has Mei memorize vital numbers, not trusting computers and the like.

At his lowest point Luke sees Mei in the subway and from his point of view Luke sees that she saves his life. He also realizes that Mei is being chased by members of the Russian mob that he knows all too well. Yakin is clumsy here in the narrative synchronicity. I buy it, because I want to see Statham kick some ass. Really, I was in with the touching chemistry of Statham and Chan. They have an understated love for each other. Mei, who is beholding to Luke, confesses, "We save each other…"

In the great showdown of good and powerful evil, I initially thought I was short changed. Then I realized heroes generate other heroes. There are many goofy things going on with "Safe" and they are forgiven. "Safe" gets that the hero always protects the one he or she loves. I really liked "Safe".
41 out of 58 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not as witty as a Statham movie usually is, but just as action packed and just as awesome.
noeldarling38 May 2012
Cast: OK, I love Statham. Every role he has done, yes even in "In The Name Of The King", is almost perfection. Now just because he is awesome , doesn't mean that the movies he is in are, just like "In The Name Of The King". Recently though his movies all seem to be the same kind of film and that isn't necessarily a bad thing. Lots of action, lots of cheese and some story that involves a rogue badass, aka Statham. I say all that but anyone else in this/those roles and the film wouldn't work. But anyway more on the film in a mo, Statham plays against a little girl played by Catherine Chan, who is awesome, to say she is a child actress. Not much on the rest of the cast, but mentions for James Hong's (known for Kung Fu Panda, Balls Of Glory) mob boss and Robert John Burke's Captain Wolfe.

Overview: Like i mentioned earlier, fans of movies like The Mechanic, Blitz, Crank or Transporter, will probably keep on liking this. It's packed full of gun fights, karate/fist fights, explosions, car chases and Statham's signature grunting voice. The story itself is mixed. the whole thing with the girl, i like. People do have photogenic memories, and like James Hong says sending messages via computers is risky. So using the girl i get. The whole gangs fighting each other and corrupt cops is old news so all is right there. The one thing that troubled me was when the explained Statham's history. At one point he was just a cop, then he's some kind of Bane like experiment, didn't get that at all, but other than that the film is very fast paced, and wraps up nicely.

The opening 10 minuets of this film i really liked. They managed to set the story up of the two leads by mirroring their plot's. The girl is in a car, Statham is in a car, they both go to sleep…etc and i really enjoyed it. This movie doesn't really offer anything new to the action genre, but neither does it fail.

Recommend: Statham fans yes, everyone else meh.

Overall: 7/10 For more of my reviews head to http://www.facebook.com/noelfilmreviews
34 out of 48 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Jason Statham at his absolute best.
johnnymacbest29 April 2012
This film is the most fun I had at the theaters along with "Haywire" and The Hunger Games; films that have thrilled me while at the same time giving me food for thought. Safe doesn't exactly fit the above criteria, but what it does is deliver a well-written action thriller with twists and turns in the plot to get any interested viewer bang for their buck.

Statham stars as Luke Wright, a down-on-his-luck cage fighter who gets caught up in a dangerous situation that leaves him with no will to live any longer. At first he appears to want to give it all up, but a chance encounter with girl with a secret gives him his second calling and he unwittingly becomes her guardian angel. But the two are entangled in a power struggle over the girl's gift. Thus the ride has begun.

Boaz Yakim handles the action and script really well. it's only that some of the dialog that becomes contrived and forced, but that doesn't slow down the film at all. The action scenes are, however, really impressive; showing off Statham's mad skills as an action star and he's really good at being both formidable and vulnerable at the same time. With his steely stare and narrow eyes, he's one mean man you don't want to mess with unless you value your very life. But it's newcomer Catherine Chan that really shines in her first ever feature-film role. With a wide variety of emotions, she is horribly confused and scared at what's unfolding before her very eyes. And Reggie Lee is simply good as the villainous lackey to an ever deliciously evil James Hong as crime boss Hang Jiao.

But even with all that, if the filmmakers stripped it of it's action film hijinks, at it's core is a story of two complete strangers coming to each other's aid. Sadly the film never delivers more on the sentiment between the two characters's personal emotions. There are hints of a developing relationship, but it's overshadowed by the action scenes, which are impressive, undermines the emotional aspect between Luke and Mei. The ending(which I will not spoil) leaves it open to the possibility of a sequel. I really wish to see a follow up to this film because the film has a really fascinating dynamic on which to build on.

But despite all it's problems, Safe is a good action thriller with twists that keep you guessing and action scenes that will marvel you.
51 out of 79 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Great Brainless Action Movie with a Messy Lead Character
claudio_carvalho6 October 2012
In China, the girl Mei (Catherine Chan) is a genius that looks like a computer in numbers. She is abducted by the Chinese Triads and the boss Han Jiao (James Hong) sends Mei to Chinatown, in New York, to help him in the control of his activities.

Meanwhile, the fighter Luke Wright (Jason Statham) has his life destroyed when he wins a fight against the will of the Russian Mafia and accidentally kills his opponent. The Russian mobsters kill his wife and the alcoholic Luke wanders on the streets and hostels with no objective in life.

One day, Han Jiao asks Mei to memorize a long number and soon the Russian Mafia abducts the girl from the Chinese mobs. She escapes from the mobsters she is chased by the Russians; by the corrupt detectives from the NYPD; and by the Triads. When Luke sees the girl fleeing from the Russian mobs in the subway, he protects the girl and discovers that the number she had memorized is the combination of a safe where the Triads keep 30 million dollars. Luke is an elite agent and uses his skills to protect the girl.

"Safe" is a great brainless action movie with a messy lead character. The situation of an old boss from the Chinese Triads that does not trust in computers but trusts in the ability of a young girl that has been abducted from her family is stupid. But the lead character Luke Wright is a complete mess: the guy is a killer and elite agent that has his life completely destroyed when he feels sorrow for killing his opponent and irritates the Russian Mafia. Then he passively accepts the death of his wife by the Russian mobsters. But out of the blue, he rekindles his personality to protect a stranger Chinese girl in the subway. This situation is laughable when the viewer sees the past and connections of Luke with the corrupt detectives of the NYPD. My vote is six.

Title (Brazil): "O Código" ("The Code")
21 out of 31 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Entertaining action flick while it's on.... quickly forgotten afterwards.
barnabyrudge8 May 2012
Some actors simply aren't versatile and spend their entire careers sticking to what they do best. Can you imagine, for example, Steven Seagal in a stage farce or Hugh Grant in a martial arts flick? They do what they're good at, keeping fans around the world happy… but neither of them display that chameleon-like ability to slip from one challenging role to another in the way the likes of Daniel Day-Lewis or Robert De Niro seem so adept. So it is when you walk into a Jason Statham movie. Before the film even begins you know there's going to be fighting and shooting, car chases and slow motion action, baddies being dispatched with cool one-liners, and so on and so forth. It's pointless going in expecting anything else, and just as pointless grumbling as you head for the exit about the plot being too derivative, or the dialogue too cheesy, or that it was all action and nothing else. Safe is a film which is pretty much described by its own title - it is indeed a totally safe action flick, with every character, situation and plot development as familiar as the back of your hand. Director Boaz Yakin makes no effort to disguise the clichés, opting instead to concentrate on noisy spectacle in the Michael Bay/Jerry Bruckheimer tradition. All good and well, if that's the kind of thing that floats your boat.

The story rather resembles movies like Man On Fire and Mercury Rising in the sense that it features a gifted child being hunted by villains, with help coming from a lone protector who happens to be pretty impossible to kill. This time it's a young Chinese girl named Mei (Catherine Chan), a mathematical genius taken from her ill mother and sent to America to work as a "counter" for the Triads in New York. Mei is given a seemingly random list of numbers to memorise, but suddenly becomes the target of the Russian Mafia and a team of corrupt cops. It transpires that the numbers contain a code which will unlock a safe containing $30 million and there are plenty willing to kill to get to the fortune. Mei goes on the run, pursued by enemies from all sides who want the information she alone carries. Enter down-and-out bum Luke Wright (Jason Staham), formerly a cop, more recently a cage fighter, whose life has descended into suicidal depths of depression after the murder of his wife. On the verge of putting an end to his misery once and for all, Luke is offered a chance of redemption when he saves Mei from her pursuers. Suddenly he's back in the game he knows best, rampaging through the city with cops, Russian mobsters and Chinese hit men hot on his trail.

The opening twenty minutes or so are a real mess, with some rushed non-chronological plot exposition and the briefest sketching-in of character. Things pick up once Mei and Luke team up to outwit the bad guys, for it is here when Yakin gets to unleash his thunderous action. No-one will come away from the film thinking they've just witnessed something innovative and ground-breaking. Nor will anyone be writing letters of complaint to the Academy when they overlook these performances at the announcement of next year's Oscar nominations. Safe is what it is…. a big, dumb action movie for the boys, with a kill-count that Mei herself might have trouble keeping track of, and sufficient mayhem to keep genre addicts happy. Efficient entertainment while it lasts, but you'll have forgotten it by the next day.
10 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Grunts its way to the end with thuggish abandon
Leofwine_draca3 February 2013
SAFE marks another step up the career ladder for action star Jason Statham, who also made 2012's above-average KILLER ELITE with Clive Owen and Robert De Niro. SAFE steps away from the teen-friendly hijinks of THE TRANSPORTER and DEATH RACE in favour of a more focused and realistic storyline which sees Statham and his young charge (newcomer Catherine Chan, and very good she is too) on the run in New York from not only the Russian and Chinese mafia but the city's police force, too!

The film works as pure action spectacle, with never a flagging moment. Statham growls and spits his dialogue, headbutts bad guys with abandon, and shoots his way through a small army in his attempts to save Chan from harm. It's a bit like THE MAN FROM NOWHERE, eschewing all that film's careful build-up and painstaking plot progression in favour of more breakneck action bits and scenes of Statham throwing guys through windows.

Statham provides a masterclass in thuggery, while the action, refreshingly free of the shaky-cam for once, is masterful and exciting. There are some nice supporting turns from the likes of DRAG ME TO HELL's Reggie Lee as the bad guys, along with former leading man Robert John Burke (DUST DEVIL) nowadays unrecognisable thanks to the ageing progress.

Of course, SAFE will never win awards, and those who don't "get" action films will give it the cold shoulder. On the other hand, those of us who remember the good old days when Van Damme and Seagal were churning out hit after hit will probably enjoy it.
6 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Jason Statham reminds us why he's one of the best action stars that ever was.
terrellrobinson7123 July 2012
I was impressed with Boaz Yakin's "Safe". It's a darkly funny thriller with bone-breaking action, quirky humor and a reminder that Jason Statham is one of the best action stars that ever was. I am a fan of Statham, having seen him 10 years ago in the movie that made him a big star: "The Transporter". In "Safe", we get to see a different side of him that isn't all muscles and abs. ("The Bank Job" was another different side of Statham, as well). He plays Luke Wright, a New York ex-cop/cage fighter who lost everything after winning in a cage fight that sent a fighter to the hospital, especially the loss of his wife and unborn child. (Hence, that tear crawling from his right eye on his cheek.) On the verge of suicide, he's getting a wake-up call when Russian mobsters are after a little girl named Mei (Catherine Chan) in a train station. When he steps in the train and attacking and shooting the mobsters with his MMA moves, Luke sees life in a whole new perspective. Why are the mobsters after this adorable 10-year-old Chinese girl? She can memorize any code that can lead to a certain object filled with.... (I'm not telling. You see this movie and find out.) Anyway, the Chinese mobsters including its boss Han Jiao (James Hong), the Russian mobsters, the mayor of New York (Chris Sarandon) and his adviser Alex (Anson Mount) and the crooked cops including some of Luke's old buddies from the force are after her. But Luke will be ready for war, protecting Mei without a doubt. "Safe" benefits from Statham, who gives one of his best performances since "The Bank Job", its fast-paced action scenes, a warm heart and some funny zingers. (For example, a cop says "You broke that guy's trachea." Luke says, "I didn't know a trachea could break".) For those who like the look of the film, give props to costume designer Ann Roth, production designer Joseph C. Nemec III and cinematographer Stefan Czapsky, who did the cinematography to Danny Devito's "Matilda", for making it cool, slick and fast. Let's face it, it's not "The Transporter", but "Safe" is a terrific surprise in every way possible. You know what's going to happen, but you have no idea how it's going to turn out, especially an ending that had me going "What the heck?". I never knew why this movie never became a hit. But I hope that people will get a chance to see it. This movie was a lot of fun. Think of it as 1/2 "Leon: The Professional", 2/3 "Mercury Rising" and a little dash of "The Transporter".
7 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Safe to Say that Safe is Stupid
gregsrants29 April 2012
Only 16 weeks into the 2012 theatrical release schedule and my Worst of 2012 list is beginning to take shape. This Means War, the action comedy starring Tom Hardy and Chris Pine will be there. Likely joining it will be Julia Roberts' misadventures in the dreadful Mirror, Mirror. Both entries now have company via Jason Statham's new action flick, Safe.

Safe puts actor Jason Statham in familiar territory. He is protecting a young person while driving recklessly, shooting, punching and jumping his way through fast paced and carefully choreographed sequences intended on keeping the interest of 13-year-old boys. Statham has protected young helpless persons before thanks to his Transporter franchise, but here, he scrapes the bottom of the barrel for the worst script and character he has ever played on the big screen.

In Safe, Statham plays Luke Wright, a former cop who has been living on the streets since the Russian mob killed his wife after he failed to win a promotional UFC-style fight. Wright's life is reaching its bottom point when he notices a young Asian girl being followed in a New York City subway station.

We learned earlier that the young Asian named Mei (Catherine Chan) is a super-whiz with numbers that has been kidnapped by the Chinese mob and brought to America intent on having her memorize a sequence of numbers that lead to unknown treasures.

When Luke Wright involves himself in her safety, he becomes absorbed in a cliché driven plot involving corrupt cops, corrupt politicians, the Chinese mob and the Russian mob. All have but one purpose, to gain ownership of the young girl by any means possible and to use the numbers she has memorized to open two safes containing both money and information valuable beyond comprehension.

While all four of the politicians, police and two mobs collapse upon Wright and Wei's whereabouts, our packed theatre of nine paying patrons watched as they shouted, shot and ran amok through the city in a blended mess that comes courtesy of writer/director Boaz Yakin (Remember the Titans).

There is so much wrong with Safe that it is hard to get ones head around the convoluted disaster in an attempt to explain in words how to warn other interested parties. Statham is usually consistent, but even he cannot save such an atrocity as this. His action sequences are many, but they are boring and uninspired and l felt the need to shut my eyes and grab a quick nap rather than watch him continue to take on 5-6 heavily armed men at one time and get away unscathed.

Assisting Statham in this bad smelling piece of fromage is the supporting cast. None of the many characters thrust on screen are well developed and the only one that does have any relevance, Mei, is portrayed by a young girl who can't seem to act her way out of a wet fortune cookie. Usually, we are relaxed when it comes to criticizing youth and their attempts in their big screen debuts. But Catherine Chan is terrible as a central character and her bad acting is the largest fly feasting on this pile of sh*t.

To be fair – okay, to be somewhat fair – some of the dialogue expected of Chan was beyond eye-rolling. She has to take direction in how to express such painful lines as "You're a crazy man, yet not that stupid" while Statham tries to catch a breath between bone breaking.

Snores could be heard in our almost vacant theatre and they were loud enough to drown out my own. There isn't many films that I can truly advise to stay away from, but it's safe to say that Safe is one of them.

www.killerreviews.com
16 out of 34 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Safe: The Enemy of My Enemy Better Be Jason Statham
ROCHpikey27 April 2012
Jason Statham goes all out in his latest action packed movie, Safe. If you like Statham's other adrenaline pumping movie you will love this one. As for those who criticize him for his lack of "acting" may be surprised by this one.

Last time I saw Statham on the big screen was for Killer Elite and I remember walking out incredibly disappointed. At this point I had come to terms not to expect anything but action fun from Statham's movies and I love them for that reason. But Killer Elite even bothered me as being nothing special. So I walked into Safe with moderate expectations and it blew me away. If you have read my previous reviews you know I like comparing films that are similar, so I would have to say this combine elements of James Foley's The Corrupter (rivaling gangs and corruption) and Harold Becker's Mercury Rising (lone cop protecting adolescent with secret information).

Safe follows a former gun for hire, Luke Wright (Statham), living as a lone, homeless man following a run-in with the Russian mafia and is on the verge of suicide until he rescues a 12 year old Chinese girl, Mei (Catherine Chan), on the run from two feuding gangs because she holds the code they desperately need. However, the code goes much deeper than just the rivaling Russian and Chinese gangs and into the corruption of New York City's finest.

After the last couple Statham flicks I knew he was due for a good one. Not only does he kick some serious bad-guy butt in Safe but he actually acts a little bit! There is one scene of a flashback explaining Wright's past with the Russian mafia that showcased some very impressive acting on the behalf of Statham, really cool to finally see it. Catherine Chan was excellent as Mei, she played the perfect damsel in distress without being annoying or plain. I don't know where to begin with the villains. There were so many! James Hong as the Chinese gang leader was effective creepy and intimidating, Reggie Lee added unpredictability to his desperate character as Mei's "father," and Robert John Burke was just awesome as the corrupt Captain Wolf.

Safe definitely revived my faith that Jason Statham could still pick great action movies. The complex story line and series of events made this a very fun ride for action audiences. I give it a 9/10.
9 out of 17 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Jason Statham's film
TopDawgCritic27 June 2020
Any other lead in this film, would've made this a cheap B-grade flick. Add Jason Statham into the mix, and it's a knock 'em sock 'em kick-butt pistol-whipping Hollywood blockbuster. That is all. Great pacing, length, action scenes and the writing and directing by Boaz Yakin was decent. It's an 8/10 from me, most of it going to Statham.
Action-Packed!
g-bodyl12 December 2013
Safe is your typical Jason Statham movie but with steroids. If you have seen any of his newer films, then this movie will not surprise you. But like most of his films, Safe is a nice throwback to the heyday 80's action films. This film simply offers up a good time as we see Statham get involved with the Chinese and the Russians. The stunts are pretty good here as well as the cinematography since we see some cool shots of the action.

Boaz Yakin's film is about a former New York detective who protects a young Chinese girl from the fore-mentioned ethnic groups because she has something both sides want and they will go to war over this.

Jason Statham is Jason Statham in this film. He does nothing but kick butt and show people why he is not to be trifled with. He is getting better as an actor and is beginning to show some more emotional maturity.

Overall, this is a solid action film that while it delivers nothing new, it still delivers the goods. It has everything an action junkie could want from good choreography to corrupt policemen. Essentially, if you don't like Jason Statham you won't like this film. But, I believe this is a good action film. I rate this film 8/10.
4 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
" When Two Tigers chase the same prey, it's deadly, . . But when there's three, it's Lethal! "
thinker169121 May 2012
The Writer/Directer of this exciting and explosive film called " Safe " is Boaz Yakin. Needless to say, he keeps his action star Jason Statham who plays Luke Wright, directly in the line of some very hostile fire. Luke was a former NYPD detective who for some reason was cashiered from the police force. Now down-on-his-luck, he finds himself Cage fighting to make ends meet. Seen as a derelict drunk, with his wife murdered, he is roughed up by corrupt cops, pursued by Mob bosses and Chinese Triade hit men alike and is so despairing he considers committing suicide. However, a little Chinese girl named Mei (Catherine Chan) is also being chased by both Russian and Chinese gangsters alike for a secret combination to some valuable information, saves him. Taking refuge under the protection of the disgraced policeman, they both share a common bond, . . . to find safety. From it's inception, this exciting film is a, trill-ride full of dramatic car chases, crashes and gunfire of all sorts. Together the cast which includes Robert John Burke as Captain Wolf and James Hong combine to create a most memorable movie. ****
4 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Memory comes at a price.
michaelRokeefe18 May 2012
A former highly skilled agent, Luke Wright(Jason Statham), turned cage fighter comes to the rescue of a young Chinese girl, Mei(Catherine Chan), who has been abducted and used for her extraordinary memory. Mei has the ability to take a brief look at an amazing amount of numerals and memorize them. The girl has memorized what is part of a combination to a highly desired safe. Wright comes to her aid taking on the mission of keeping her safe from the Russian mob, corrupt NYC cops and the very same group of gangsters that all but destroyed his life earlier. Strong violence and language and enough gunfire to keep a munitions supplier happy. SAFE earns its R rating with heavy adrenaline driven situations. The cast also features: Chris Sarandon, Robert John Burke, James Hong and Anson Mount.
Boring and Enraging
jonnythemullet10 May 2012
I decided to watch Safe after feeling a little bored with the big name classic action films and wanting something new.

I was woefully underwhelmed by a lot of aspects to this movie.

That said there are some good points that I'm going to start off making and eventually end on. Like a bad news sandwich. Statham was perfect in his role as Luke, he brought the poorly written and developed character an edge that was borderline heroic in the surroundings of this poorly shot travesty.

Which brings me to my first bad point, the camera-work was nothing less than infuriating. I found myself genuinely angry in every single action sequence, regardless of whether it were a hand to hand fight sequence, a gun battle or a car chase. The shot flicks about more times than you can count and I found myself with absolutely no idea who was dead, who was alive and who was punching who. I understand this is to attempt to create a heightened sense of involvement but it makes them nigh impossible to understand. This is perfectly displayed during the gun battle prior to Statham opening the safe. Every time I saw someone get hit I had no idea who it was. The point where there were breaks in the action I was consciously checking how many of the cops were remaining. I should know at any point in the sequence how many of them are left or there's no tension and I ultimately don't care about what's happening on screen.

I could continue but I'll move on.

There were various plot points that made absolutely no sense to me whatsoever. I'll use the aforementioned gun battle as an example to keep spoilers down. The fight itself is moronic, these top police names basically walk into a den of some kind (I think it was a casino but at this late stage I was basically in a coma) and shoot the place up, then walk off with a fat bag of money. Not one of them stops and says "hang on, what if someone asks us what are in these large suspicious bags we're carrying, what if they ask us why we conducted a raid unauthorized, with no backup whatsoever, as 5 of the top cops in the NYPD and 1 ex cop who should be jailed for firearms offenses." As I say this is just one of many examples I could make but once again, I'll cut myself short for the sake of some last hope towards brevity.

I didn't care about any of the characters. The girl isn't on screen enough to make me care about her, and she mostly comes across as a rude, arrogant and unintelligible know it all due to speaking mandarin half the time and generally just being a prick to people holding a gun in her face. Statham, as much as he performed well, was written as the rogue with the heart of gold by someone hemorrhaging from the brain, apparently. The only time this comes across is his inexplicable and borderline paedophilic longing to save an 11 year old girl who he essentially uses for his own means throughout the film. He barely shows any emotion for the loss of his wife and he is almost endlessly killing men (and women who shoot at him) throughout the film without any show of remorse for the removal of human life he perpetually conducts.

I am genuinely struggling to think of a second good point to end on. I was going to say that the film will most likely entertain the majority of the people who watch it. However that's not true, because the action sequences, the only thing that could save this film, are far too vague and unwatchable to entertain the majority of action lovers (I myself enjoy watching martial arts, be it choreographed or not, a great deal). Coupled with the acting essentially being none existent due to the large amount of screen time these tour de forces in bad cinematography eat away and you have a very very boring film.
8 out of 16 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Just too simplistic and formulaic.
Boba_Fett113830 April 2012
Nothing wrong with some dumb action movies but this was one I just couldn't ever really get into or liked watching.

It's being a very typical genre flick, that perhaps is only good to watch late at night, on a Saturday evening, or something like that. It's not bad and it's indeed still entertaining enough but at the same time, I just can't call it a very good movie.

Perhaps it's true that I have seen too many movies like this one already but it was disappointing for me that this movie didn't ever played out as anything fresh or surprising. Besides, I had a hard time getting into this movie or feel involved with any of its characters and actions. This is probably due to it that the movie is being a very simplistic one with its story. The good news about this is that it's also being a very straightforward genre movie, with plenty of action to enjoy in it.

This isn't really the case for the first half of the movie though, which is needlessly slow and overlong. The movie definitely got better to watch in its second half, when its action kicked in. No doubt that the first half was meant to get us more involved with its characters and get to known them as well but the movie so easily also could had done this as the movie progressed, with plenty of action going on at the same time. There was no need for the movie really to take such a long time to establish and setup things.

Another thing that I didn't really liked about this movie was how absurd its story could get at times. I mean, the thing with the story is that almost literally everybody is a bad guy in it. The Russians, the Chinese, the cops. It's just a bit too much all and doesn't ever really work out as anything convincing or entertaining enough.

It's also true that Jason Statham is simply being Jason Statham again in this movie. He too often plays the same sort of character now days, which is really disappointing, since I actually quite like him as an actor and believe he has plenty of charisma and range in him as well.

The action still saves this movie from being a total disaster. It's being brought very lively to the screen by some great camera-work and nimble editing. It's watchable enough all but definitely nothing I can consider to be recommendable.

7 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Everything I expected
stbsolo27 April 2012
It's strange to rate this a 10, but I do believe those of you who like Statham movies will find this movie to exceed your expectations. This isn't really a 10 as compared to all other deserving 10s out there, it's one for people who like movies like this. You'll love it! Watch it intoxicated and you'll love it even more. Great chemistry, great villains, great action, and awesome plot. It also gets a 10 because it, unlike all of the other action movies I've looked forward to only to be disappointed with, actually delivered much more than the trailers and ads promised. So, my 10 isn't the sign of a cinematic masterpiece, but it's a sign of enjoyment, met expectations, and those who enjoy vegging out and watching action movies of Statham's brand will probably agree. Or not.
7 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Great Statham Action Movie
utahman197112 June 2013
One of the best action movies I have seen in a long time. Statham is the new Seagal. Actually, I think he is better. I like movies with his fighting abilities. The ones with no fighting are terrible for him. He needs more kick ass movies. They should make at least one more Transporter movie, but this time a rated R one with more blood, language, and longer fighting scenes.

The Mechanic remake was not one of his best. Also, those ones with just shooting and no fighting hardly at all were not that good as this. Sorry, losing track of what I am going to say about this movie.

Great connection with Luke and Mei. Started off slow like others said, but then quickly picks up. You first think Statham is a dumb fighter, and get in trouble with the Russians, and then he becomes a bum.

He ends up on the subway saving Mei from the Russians, which the Russians took Mei from the Triad, which had Mei first. After Statham kicks the Russians ass on the subway, he takes Mei to downtown hotel. After the subway scenes it moves pretty fast with kick ass fighting. Lots of shooting with it too.

You remember the movie "The Replacement Killers"? Not quite the same, but the action pace is like that. I thought the action was awesome. We need more from Statham like this. I gave this a high rating because it was that good to me. I don't think movies have to have %100 greatest actors or actresses to be great movie.

This is one would be nice to see on regular television. I would watch it over and over if they did.
5 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Jason rocks
PunjabiGirl30 May 2012
one of the best actor available till date. Acting just comes naturally to this guy.Fights chase or anything he gives his best shot.Recently watched his latest flick safe.Superb the first word comes to my mind after watching this movie.This movie is a complete package.Everything you hope from this movie it gives you completely.Jason is excellent as ever. Side characters also give their best shots including the Chinese girl.Story and direction are also good.

It is one of the best movies of 2012.A must watch movie.Specially if you are a Jason fan just like me.Bindass movie if you want to say in Indian language
5 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.