Super 8 (2011)
Parents GuideAdd to guide
Showing all 38 items
- Sex & Nudity (4)
- Violence & Gore (14)
- Profanity (1)
- Alcohol, Drugs & Smoking (6)
- Frightening & Intense Scenes (10)
- Spoilers (3)
|MPAA||Rated PG-13 for intense sequences of sci-fi action and violence, language and some drug use|
Sex & Nudity
- A teenage girl appears to lightly kiss a teenage boy's neck and we see a small outline of lipstick on his neck.
- A teenage boy tells a teenage girl that he is going to "go to first base" once he gets a driver's license.
- On two occasions, we see a teenage girl wearing an abdomen exposing top and short shorts.
- A teenage boy is momentarily seen sitting in a bathtub (no nudity is visible).
Violence & Gore
- We see a man standing over a hospital bed where another man with bloody, crusted facial wounds is lying; the injured man has bandages on his ears and we see blood on his shirt, a third man injects an unknown solution into his IV, we see his body shake violently (he knocks over a glass jar and it shatters on the ground) and we hear his heart monitor stop, implying that the man died.
- A girl approaches a mangled truck, we see a man slumped over the steering wheel with blood is on his head, deep cuts on his forehead and blood splattered on the wreckage; the man regains consciousness and reaches for the girl and we later see the man lying on a hospital gurney with his cuts beginning to scab over.
- A teenage boy runs for cover in a gas station store after seeing a glimpse of a monster/alien (we see the monster/alien's legs as it chases the boy); the windows of the store blow out and we see the teenage boy being dragged out of the store, screaming.
- A man is surprised when he sees a trash dumpster fly past his car, we hear a crashing noise and see a portion of a monster/alien's legs as the man's car lifts up and slams back to the ground; a teenage boy discovers the vehicle completely smashed and the man missing (the man is later discovered dazed but unharmed).
- Several boys watch black and white footage of scientists investigating an airplane; we hear a man's voice narrating that a monster/alien had been tortured, and we see footage of one of the scientists being lifted up by a long tentacle, swung through the air and then dropped unharmed on the ground.
- A man drives a car down a street, he runs a stop sign and smashes into a parked car, his body lurches forward and he then stumbles from the car with a bloody cut on his forehead, blood on his shirt and face and a cut on his cheek; he is later seen with dried blood on his shirt and a small amount of dried blood smeared over his face.
- A truck drives head-on into a fast-moving train, we see the train collapse on impact and jump off the track and a series of explosions follow; then a massive fireball engulfs some of the train cars, an explosion throws parts of train cars through the air and they narrowly avoid hitting a boy when they crash to the ground.
- Four boys hide inside a house: a wall the boys are standing next to explodes, we see dust and hear one boy screaming, and a second boy says that he can see another boy's bone sticking out of his leg (we do not see it); all four boys are later seen unharmed.
- A man with bloody cuts on his face and blood visible on his shirt, shouts at four boys and a girl, waves a gun at them and threatens that they and their families will be killed; the children run in panic.
- We see a man staring at a gas tanker and moments later the tanker explodes into a fireball, implying that the man had fired a gun at the tanker, causing it to blow up; we see military personnel dive out of the way to avoid being struck by the flames.
- Several soldiers, two boys and a girl gather on a street, and they watch as windows blow out of a building and a magnetic force lifts a man holding a gun off the ground; the man releases the gun and falls to the ground, unharmed.
- A man punches another man in the face, and then grabs his gun and uses the butt to knock the man out (he falls to the ground).
- We hear two men shouting, and the sound of a scuffle followed by a slamming door and we see a police officer dragging a man out of a house; he shoves the man against his police cruiser while handcuffing him and then drives off with him in the backseat.
- We see multiple outtakes of a film made by several boys, that includes scenes of a boy fighting another one.
- Around six uses of "shit". And there are four uses of "hell", "damn" and "ass". We also hear "pissed", "bitch", "dick", "pussy" and "fuck" used respectively.
Alcohol, Drugs & Smoking
- A teenage boy is seen smoking a marijuana cigarette and then acting extremely affected after driving under the influence.
- A man admits to being "so stoned" that he cannot drive his car.
- A teenage boy offers to sell another boy marijuana (he turns him down).
- A man seems inebriated and we see a bottle of liquor in front of him.
- A man is seen driving and throwing a bottle of liquor into the back seat of the car.
- Through the movie, we see men and women smoking cigarettes.
Frightening & Intense Scenes
- A soldier uses a large flamethrower to set fire to a field while other soldiers look on. It is brief.
- A pretty fair amount of violence, including a very large and very ugly monster which grabs people, and presumably kills some of them.
- The monster is incredibly scary.
- A couple of jump scares where the monster appears out of sudden nowhere and begins to attack people.
- A train derails after a truck hits it head-on and you see the violent, grisly aftermath of the train derailment.
- A group of children are shown in peril on frequent occasions.
- There are several scenes where frightening, intense action or attack sequences occur without any warning to the viewer. This can be frightening and alarming for those who are easily disturbed.
- Several scenes depict soldiers engaging combat against a creature. Wounded people can be seen.
- Frightening scenes involving abnormal or absent physical laws are frequent.
- A child is shown vomiting
Violence & Gore
- An unseen monster/alien smashes into the side of a bus occupied by three men and four boys (they are held inside a cage at the back of the bus), the bus swerves on the road, one of the windows shatters, a tentacle reaches into the bus and grabs a man, one of the two remaining men begs for help as the boys scream, the bus flips on its side and we see a man's lifeless body lying on top of the bus (a small amount of blood is visible on his torso and head); the tentacle then grabs one of the remaining men inside the bus and crushes him while the boys escape unharmed, and the remaining man on the bus loads a gun, the monster/alien is about to attack, he fires rapidly, we see a flash of the man's head being slammed against a window and blood covers the window, implying that the man had been killed.
- A monster/alien grabs a man standing with a group of two boys, a girl, and a woman, then the monster/alien grabs the woman as the boys and girl scream and run and hide, and the monster/alien proceeds to also grab one of the boys, lift him up and examine him; the boy calmly tells the monster to put him down, the monster does so and the boy is unharmed.
- Two boys discover an underground lair where they see multiple people hanging upside down from the ceiling and the boys panic when they see an alien/monster grab one of the bodies and presumably eat it (we see no blood but one of the boys says the body is being eaten); the boys discover a man and pull him down, he awakens unharmed, they then pull down a girl and a woman is seen staggering around, dazed but unharmed.