A Few Best Men (2011) Poster

Groomed to fail
Prismark104 December 2015
A Few Best Men mixes The Hangover with Meet the Parents with unhilarious results. At least the film has nice covers of some old songs. So let us also throw in The Wedding Singer as well.

David (Xavier Samuel) visiting from England meets Australian Mia (Laura Brent) on holiday and rapidly get engaged.

David goes to his wedding taking his three best friends wit him at Mia's mansion in the Blue Mountains in Australia where Laura's Dad is a big time conservative politician and very straight laced.

Tom (Kris Marshall) is the cheeky one, (Kevin Bishop) is moronic and Luke (Tim Draxl) feeling down after a break up.

The trio accidentally end up getting a dealer's bag of cocaine and then with some shenanigans with a sheep. At the wedding there are all sorts of escapades including a rolling boulder causing havoc, the ripped off drug dealer also crashing into the wedding and the inept best man speech which still lazily refers to Australians being convicts.

Only the bride and groom seem to be normal. Rebel Wilson as the bride's sister gives it some spirit and a very smoothed Olivia Newton John snorting cocaine stops it being a total fail. The film goes all out for gross humour but it is predictable and risible.
4 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A lot of laughs
kosmasp16 July 2012
If you can go open minded into this and like comedies that really just go for it, you will like this very much. The premise is almost everything there is to the movie, mixed with the characters that get introduced you just know where this is heading. But "disaster" is too funny in this case and the entertainment value is high throughout.

Of course as with many comedies you could start asking (or questioning) the roots of the problems. Or really be mad about characters inability to cope with some things, while making similar mistakes most of the time. But this would take all the fun you can have with the film, so I just hope you can enjoy this as much as I (and a few friends) did!
10 out of 17 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
It's so funny!
Gordon-1114 May 2016
This film tells the story of a holiday romance quickly going into a marriage marriage. The groom's four best friends become the best men n the wedding which turns out to be a prominent wedding of a politician's daughter. However the best men do not behave, and the wedding is almost off.

I could not believe how funny the story is! It looks vaguely familiar to "The Hangover" but with a bit of difference, because the hilarity happens during the wedding instead of before the wedding. Just as you think the wedding cannot get worse, it gets worse and worse. It is super crazy funny.
3 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Poor start, but cracking finish
neil-4766 September 2012
English David (Xavier Samuel) meets Australian Mia (Laura Brent) on holiday: they fall in love and, by the time he arrives home, they are engaged. So orphan David goes to his wedding, at Mia's enormous house in the Blue Mountains (Laura's Dad is a Senator) accompanied by his three best friends and family substitutes Tom (Kris Marshall, a glib, super-confident chancer, Graham (Kevin Bishop, awkward, graceless, and socially inept) and Luke (Tim Draxl, raw and bordering on suicidal from a recent romantic break-up). All would probably have been well had Tom not taken a small detour to buy some weed, and had Graham not accidentally acquired the dealer's stock of cocaine...

The small amount of advance word here was not good, and I found the early parts of the film irritating and filled with "Well, he just wouldn't do that" stuff - why does David walk in the pouring rain from Trafalgar Square to St Paul's (at least half an hour) carrying his Polynesian carving on his way home? Why didn't he just get a bus nearer to where he lived? He wouldn't walk in through his front door with dog mess still on the sole of his sandal, he'd scrape it off outside. He wouldn't throw his wet shirt over there etc. etc. And the characters were annoyingly clichéd - could anyone be as stupid as Graham? And Luke's maudlin whingeing about his ex-girlfriend left no room for any other characterisation at all. Then factor in the idiotic detour to buy drugs, which I couldn't envision anyone doing on the eve of their best friend's wedding, and I'm a third of the way through the movie having chuckled a few times, but with any amusement far outweighed by irritation. Next we meet a comedy drug dealer, and Mia's dad Jim, a cliché bullying Dad who regards the wedding as more important for its networking opportunities than for what it means for his daughter, and I'm even more annoyed (to be fair, there has been a moderate amount of laughter from the audience, most of whom were much younger than me).

But at this point we also meet Rebel Wilson as Mia's sister Daphne, and Olivia, Newton and John as mum Barbara, and things begin to look up. The wedding morning consequences of the stag night shenanigans are genuinely amusing, and I'm starting to warm to the film. In true farce manner, actions have consequences, and those consequences have further consequences, and things start to unravel. Graham ends up in the position of having to give the best man's speech, a role to which he is spectacularly unsuited, and this sequence left me helpless with laughter as he reels from one faux pas to another, each one being worse than the one which preceded it. From here to the end, the film lurched through a series of disasters, some physical, some situational, some character-based, most of them tasteless, and nearly all of them very funny indeed.

Rebel Wilson is naturally very funny, and it was a delight to see Olivia, Newton and John (ageing most attractively) joyfully attacking areas which Grease's Sandy, even in black leather, would have been far too prim to address.

After an unconvincing opening, this film made me laugh out loud more than any movie I can remember for a long time, and that is what I take away with me.
9 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A Nutshell Review: A Few Best Men
DICK STEEL12 June 2012
You meet the girl of your dreams, and with the feeling being mutual, decide to fast track the romance into marriage. It's one of the big decisions in life, and so you engage some help from your pals, who happen to be some of the most disorganized bunch ever, unintentionally lining up what would be one of life's most memorable events with a series of mishaps and accidents that are just waiting to happen, from run ins with drug dealers, abuse of drugs and drink, and an animal featured somewhere as well. No this is not The Hangover films, although at first glance A Few Best Men may seem to tread on similar territory.

Unlike the American films that focus on extreme shenanigans, A Few Best Men may deal with similar wedding blues in comedic fashion, but was rather a bit more restrained in its grossness, although toilet humour is something staple that is never too far away and utilized when there's a need to for maximum effect. This Australian production follows a more British route with witty repartee, and quirky, zany characters peppering the landscape, with probably the only sane people in the entire film being the groom David (Xavier Samuel) and his bride Mia (Laura Brent).

The titular characters refer to David's best mates Tom (Kris Marshall) who's usually the catalyst of problems with his indifferent attitude, Graham (Kevin Bishop) the somewhat dim witted follower, and Luke (Tim Draxi) who still can't get over the break up with his ex. Together they lend support to David as his best men for his wedding, making that round the world trip from England to Australia. Mia on the other hand comes from a political family, with a senator for a dad in Jim (Jonathan Biggins) whose more than proud to turn his daughter's wedding into political gain, wife Barbara (Olivia Newton-John, probably the largest name in this ensemble), and sister Daphne (Rebel Wilson last seen in What To Expect When You're Expecting). With worlds so different colliding together, sparks fly in similar, slowly but surely fashion to Meet the Fockers, with a scene being somewhat of a lift off The Hangover when the stag's night out turned into one big blur.

A Few Best Men sees the long awaited return by director Stephan Elliott, who did the acclaimed Priscilla Queen of the Desert. And I have to admit unabashedly that I'm somewhat of a fan of writer Dean Craig's work, after what he did with Death at a Funeral, dealing with something similar with family and friends' shenanigans standing out during life's ceremonies, and in a way this film seemed like a spiritual companion to his earlier work for the way it encompassed rip tickling moments over one of life's major rituals. It's basically Murphy's Law put on display here, with everything that can go wrong actually do go wrong, with a couple of surprise (some may argue convenient) twists thrown in for good measure.

The soundtrack is also noteworthy in the film, consisting of mostly evergreens and oldies from the 60s and 70s, and having Olivia Newton-John lend her vocals as well. In fact, her character becomes what would be the live wire of the film as it wore on, together with Kris Marshall and Kevin Bishop drawing the loudest of laughs thanks to their subplot involving their quest for weed from which everything got intricately tied to no thanks to their being stuck with contraband drugs, and being quite inept in helping the groom settle and solve the mess they got everyone into.

If one is game for ensemble films and buddy type ones where the inevitably lessons extracted will be themes on brotherhood, friendship and family, with lots of laughs thrown in from good measure, then A Few Best Men would be your choice this week during the summer season breather in between blockbusters hitting the cinemas. Highly recommended!
26 out of 33 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The British take on 'The Hangover'
bowmanblue24 December 2014
The Hangover was a surprise comedy hit, so it made sense that it would 'influence' other films. A Few Best Men does its best to steer clear of too many comparisons, but four friends waking up with little memory of a groom's stag night the day before (and naturally leading to disastrous consequences) will always sound like a 'Hangover clone.' David is a Brit on holiday in Australia where he meets the girl of his dreams and subsequently proposes straight away. He therefore flies his three best friends over from Blighty to celebrate (if you can believe that anyone would marry after just two weeks!). Naturally things go wrong and lead to a string of embarrassing (and potentially relationship-ending) events that take place in Australia's 'high society' wedding.

Yes, it's a bit predictable, but it's not all together bad. I found this very watchable if you don't think too much about it. Some of the jokes you can see coming, others do come as a surprise. The characters are just about likable enough to care about and they all play their parts well.

It's not as good as The Hangover. The Hangover will always have the edge due to it being released first. However, if you fancy a few chuckles here and there, you could probably do worse.
4 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I saw this in Italy where it is called "Four men and a sheep".
GiraffeDoor25 February 2020
Appealing, anarchic comedy along a trend we saw a lot of in the early 2000s (credit to Bridemaids). Another wedding is almost ruined at every turn as the bridegroom and his buddies inadvertently get into increasingly transgressive, crass and embarrassing circumstances.

A lot of it is that special kind of humour that is about making you wince first and laugh second but if you have the stomach for it, you have a quite a ride on your hands.
0 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Crazy, Dirty & Trashy fun entertainer
saadgkhan15 May 2012
A Few Best Men – CATCH IT (B+) 'A Few Best Men" is a trashy, dirty and raw Australian version of The Hangover. Mostly people will find this version very offending and generic but I think it's funny and hilarious. It's not important that everything should be high budgeted and classy. Most of the times these kind of movies make you laugh hard. The highlight of the movie is defiantly the wedding speech by the groom's best friend Kevin Bishop "Graham". The whole cast manage to do some of the most gross and dirtier scenes ever with Big Australian Sheep. Xavier Samuel is great as a groom trying to save his wedding from being a disastrous mess. Kevin Bishop literally stole the show first with his crazy Hitler mustaches and hairs and later with his Wedding Speech and as the Sheep hand raper. Even I was happy when Xavier slaps Tim Draxl, I wanted to do that the moment he appeared on screen. Kris Marshall is funny. Rebel Wilson is good but she doesn't have many dialogues or scenes as always. Laura Brent is gorgeous and Olivia Newton-John is over the top as required. On the whole, it's a crazy dirty trashy fun entertainer. I enjoyed it!
12 out of 20 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Gags are hit and miss, but decent popcorn flick nevertheless.
Troy_Campbell19 January 2012
Billed as the "Aussie Hangover", this surprisingly crude comedy is more hit-and-miss than its American counterpart. There's certainly no shortage of gags – the humour comes fast and loose with both verbal wittiness and gross-out physical stunts – but plot predictability and some truly dreadful acting gradually diminish the movie's success. Whilst no-one from the cast really soars, new kid on the block Xavier Samuel (The Loved Ones, Anonymous, New Moon) acquits himself nicely as the love-struck protagonist and Love Actually's Kris Marshall is consistently funny as his immature pommy groomsman. On the flipside: Olivia Newton-John overplays her wild-child mother-in-law to the point of embarrassment, Rebel Wilson's more wooden than the Horse of Troy, and Laura Brent's performance as the bride suggests she would've been more comfortable in an episode of 'Neighbours' than in a feature film. Doesn't leave a lasting impression, but decent popcorn fodder nevertheless.
16 out of 33 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Understated and quaint,but tries a little too hard.
thekarmicnomad11 June 2012
The story is as old as the hills (a guy is embarrassed by his shameless, hopeless family on a big occasion)but quite well done.

The humour is very British revolving mainly around farce and knob gags. I found it very funny and the characters frighteningly easy to relate too.

The acting is mainly good, the production is more than adequate and the casting is great.

The only problem I found was the movie didn't know where to sit. It was a bit too over the top for a true British situation comedy and went a bit zany but it didn't go far enough to compete with the big Hollywood spectacle comedies.

It was sold to me as the Austalian Hangover which is not accurate at all. For a midweek giggle this is great. I am glad I saw it but would have been disappointed if this was my Friday night.
6 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Colourful British wit makes light of black Aussie humour
Likes_Ninjas9022 January 2012
On a tropical holiday David (Xavier Samuel) meets an Australian girl named Mia (Laura Brent) and they quickly fall in love. At a surprise party back home in the UK, David tells his three mates that he and Mia are getting married in Australia. The lads are unhappy about this because they don't want to lose him and also because they'll have to fly over there. They're an odd bunch. Tom (Kris Marshall) doesn't want to grow up. Graham (Kevin Bishop) is always pushed around by the other lads and Luke (Tim Draxl) is miserable, trying to win his ex-girlfriend back. The men arrive in Australia and are at the mercy of Mia's strict father Jim (Jonathan Biggins) and his wife Barbara (Olivia Newtown-John). Jim is a wealthy senator, looking to impress his contacts with the lavish wedding but is frequently at odds with his other daughter Daphne (Rebel Wilson), who may or may not be a lesbian. The lads find themselves in trouble when they try purchasing some marijuana from a drug dealer with emotional problems and also when they have a crazy night together, the day before the wedding. They wake up to find they've been tormenting Jim's prized campaign sheep.

Colourful British wit makes light of black Aussie humour, burying memories of awful local comedies from the early millennium. The film is an Australian-UK coproduction. It was directed by an Australian, Stephan Elliott, but written by Dean Craig, the same Brit who penned Death at a Funeral (2007). That was another film I greatly enjoyed and this is a similar mixture of genres. It combines fish out of water with comedic farce, along with setups from countless other films. It is impossible not to recall the likes of Death at a Funeral and even The Hangover (2009). Yet the essential ingredients for a great movie on its own rights have not been forgotten. This is the funniest Australian film I have seen in years. What's important here is how the comedy is played out. The lads here are fools and regularly make a meal out of everything they touch. Yet you can't bring yourself to hate them because we understand they're out of their depth in a foreign environment, both geographically and class-wise too. And this might just be my own jet- black sense of humour talking but there is something immensely appealing to watch and listen to with self-depreciative humour. The lads in this movie are gifted comedians. They know how to keep a straight face as they poke fun of themselves, their social problems and eccentricities. I enjoyed the film enormously for this reason, the lack of winking, but also the variety of comedy too. On top of the rapid quips between the men and their jabs at each other, there are some delicious sight gags too. The film never makes a huge point of them, so look sharply for a picture of the Queen wearing Joker makeup, or the face of an airline passenger after Graham tries to defend his Hitler moustache. I enjoy comedy when it speaks for itself and lets us read the jokes without any help. By far my favourite scene is, I think, when Graham has to give an unprepared best man speech and is so high that he spends the whole time talking about something indescribable.

The silences of the guests and the way the camera scans the reaction of their faces is just hysterical. Screenwriter Dean Craig employs a lot of the same farce-like comedy from Death at a Funeral, with people behind doors, o r moving in and out of rooms secretively. The material is reused cleverly because director Elliott gives us a complete overview of the impending chaos. Take the scene where the boys are trying to attend to the sheep they've tormented. The camera cuts to the corridor outside the room, providing vision of who is about to walk in on them. Just like the wedding speech scene, they know how to really build the tension and extend the jokes. The comedy works because there's a lot at stake. Just when you think a giant ball crushing the wedding is the craziest the film can become, you're wrong: it continues to reach new levels of insanity. For as well constructed as a lot of the film is, some of the editing is noticeably choppy. Snippets of scenes sometimes feel out of place, or interrupt confrontations and could have been removed altogether. This is a small complaint that most people won't notice and its mostly in the first half too. For all of this film's lunacy, and there's a lot, the tension comes from characters that have resemblance of actual feelings. David is a sympathetic lead because he's torn between his mates, his only real family we learn, and a far more prestige life that he is trying to adapt to. I particularly liked it when he and Mia started questioning how little they know about each other. It's a sensible turning point. The lovable lads are very distinctive and funny with their sets of problems but they share some of the laughs with the women too. I particularly liked Olivia Newton-John as the mother with a wild side. This gem of a film was absolutely delightful and I sincerely hope its quality is indicative of all Australian films this year.
22 out of 32 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Lame. Utterly lame
latinfineart4 August 2021
I must admit I did not finish this movie after 30-40 minutes without a single chuckle I realized either there's a British humor thing going on here or the movie just simply was not funny. I typically enjoy British humor but the writing on this movie was atrocious there was simply nothing funny about it.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Death at a Funeral style antics at a Wedding in Australia
HelenMary19 July 2013
This is one of those films that you know what's going to happen and you know it's going to be rather dire but you watch anyway and it's really funny. Really gross in places, horrendously dirty but it's actually pretty good. Wedding jitters, family miscommunication, reception cocaine fountain, an errant drug dealer, a runaway sheep, a suicidal best man, a lactose intolerant friend and a house on a cliff-edge... and if that doesn't make you want to see it for laughs, well, you're missing out. Good performances by everyone especially Xavier Samuel and the brilliant (also in Death at a Funeral) Kris Marshall. Rebel Wilson was a laugh and her indubitable self and Olivia Newton-John put in a star turn as the put-upon-wife-turned lush. She is fabulous!

Not for you if you are sensitive to jokes of a sexual nature, bad language, or physical humour involving laxatives. Laugh out loud, cringeworthy, funny. Enjoyed it even though I had to close my eyes a few times.
3 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Excellent performance make familiar material seem fresh
ginocox-206-33696823 August 2015
"A Few Best Men" meets my first and primary criterion for a comedy film, that it offers many laughs. Comedy takes many forms and not every joke is right for every audience. Some will doubtlessly find the scatological humor offensive. However, the film offers a wide range of humor from burlesque physical comedy to comic irony. The filmmakers employ a range of comic techniques including running gags, 1-2-3 punches, pratfalls, sarcasm, sight gags, etc.

Much of the film is familiar. It doesn't break much new ground that hasn't been explored in similar films such as "I Love You, Man," "Wedding Crashers," "The Wedding Ringer" and other comedies. But the cast approach their roles with such vitality that the material seems fresh.

There are numerous similarities to "The Hangover" and its sequels. We don't actually witness the bachelor party. A tight group of four friends is threatened by the marriage of one. One of the best men is a sybaritic mischief-maker who introduces drugs into the equation. The protagonist and his three sidekicks must repair the damage they caused without the bride or future in-laws becoming the wiser. There are complications with criminal elements and identical bags are switched. But the cast and filmmakers manage to make the material seem fresh. As long as the laughs keep rolling, one doesn't stop to analyze similarities to other films.

While the humor is raucous, ribald and uninhibited, it also seemed more restrained, particularly compared to the Hangover films. Some scenes felt as if they could have been pushed much further. The initial encounter with the drug dealer became weird, but could have been much weirder. A large rolling object creates havoc, but much of it is offstage and it only rolls once. We see some bare male backsides, but no other nudity and only one outfit is destroyed, although it is subjected to multiple humiliations. It would have been nice to see outtakes during the credits.

Production values were more than adequate. Performances were solid with particular kudos to Kris Marshall.

It would be easy to dismiss the film as derivative, but whatever it lacks in originality is more than compensated for by the energy of its performers.
10 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Tries too hard
solojere31 July 2021
A Few Best Men has its moments, but overall the film tries too hard to be funny. The film follows David and Mia, who, after meeting on vacation and falling in love, decided to get married In Mai's home country of Australia. David brings along his friend for one last hoorah. One of the friends has a Hitler mustache because of comedy, I guess. David's friends end up doing everything they can to try and ruin it. The first half-hour of the film drags, but it picks up a little towards the middle, and there were a few moments that honestly made me chuckle. However, there weren't enough funny moments to recommend seeking it out. Also, there are a lot of elements of this film that haven't aged well, such as the homophobic character and all the homophobic jokes. Even Rebel Wilson Pretending to be a lesbian just to any her dad was cringe-worthy. Honestly, Rebel Wilson is wasted in this film as she is just a side character, which is kind of sad because she could have really elevated this film. I will say the soundtrack was great, and it wasn't the worst movie I have ever watched.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Maybe I saw a different movie?
davidfurlotte24 September 2012
I just finished watching this movie and was not going to put a review up here but after reading some of the more vitriolic reviews I decided this movie needed a counter to the nastier reviews posted on here about it.

***** Oh Yes, there will be spoilers ***** Where to begin? Firstly the premise of the movie is great. Guy meets girl while on vacation, falls madly in love and by the end of it decides to propose. She of course, accepts, otherwise the movie would not have been made.

THEN, We meet the "family" of the groom to be who happens to be probably the most immature but lovable group of friends that anyone could have.

Now we have a clash of cultures and a clash of class when the friends and groom meet the family. Old world England meets New world ex-colony Australia and working class meets the very rich and powerful. If that alone is not enough to cause some consternation we simply add to the mix by having the boys get into circumstances that albeit might have been in their control at first, quickly get out of control.

To the one reviewer that was upset because there was a sheep being "violated" in the movie, get a grip, it's a movie, I'm PRETTY sure that the actor did NOT truly have his arm up some sheep's behind and they didn't really feed the sheep any laxatives.

What makes this movie funny and crazy at the same time is that you can actually think that the various "fixes" to the problems the boys are coming up with are bona fide and you sit there watching it thinking that it's not such a crazy idea. i.e. lowering a sheep out of a 2nd story window with a harness of bedsheets so the guests at the front of the house don't get a chance to see it.

All in all, the movie didn't get me laughing so hard that tears were flowing but it did make me chuckle aloud more than a few times and I did truly feel sorry for poor David who was just trying to get through his wedding day unscathed.

Other than telegraphing a few of the punchlines, I highly recommend this movie to anyone who wants to have a few laughs.

On a final note, I personally did not see anything in this movie that could be considered "racist" in any way, shape or form. I do not think any less of my British or Australian friends after watching this movie so I really don't understand what you are trying to allude to with your comment that this movie was racist.
12 out of 17 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Tried too hard
LordJiggy29 May 2012
Even the most frantic comedy has a feeling of effortlessness to the chaos. This film had the chaos, but it was a labored, painful, and obvious chaos, to the point it became to become hideously apparent the complications were simply thrown in to create problems for the male ingenue.

Probably the biggest problem were the few Best Men's characters. They were broadly drawn into caricatures, and they were also too stupid, for the most part. Their stupidity in the world of the story was too much.

On the positive side, there were some very funny moments involving a sheep (and some totally unnecessary scatological "humor").

Finally, the best part of the entire film was Olivia Newton-John. She revealed herself as a decent actress, and funny, too. The screen brightened up every time she appeared.
9 out of 20 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
See in desperation only, or just don't
bassrourke26 January 2012
Two redeeming features of this vulgar, racist and awkward mess are the beautiful locations around the Blue mountains of New South Wales and national treasure Olivia Newton-John in a very different role. Don't be fooled though as the Xanadu & Grease superstar is simply having fun and we're invited. The stupid movie is not an Australian Hangover that the trailers may suggest, more a bad trip of a different kind. Xavier Samuel is a world away from his Twilight persona as a backpacker returning to London only to inform his idiotic mates he's proposed to Mia, an Aussie girl from a straight laced political family. So it's down under they go to drink themselves into oblivion. A wedding disaster movie with no decorum and even as a genre picture this does not make one laugh, rather cringe and look for the exit door. Not even the lovely Rebel Wilson, who can just appear and be funny is on screen enough to make me give this an extra star. Unless seeing a sheep being violated, twice is amusing to you, do not bother wasting your money on this rubbish.
13 out of 44 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A Few too Many Fools and a pale pink lady.
richy102425 September 2012
British comedy does have its pros and cons. Comedy is characteristically used in British gangster movies to lighten the tone or provide an exchange between the characters to express some form of development. On other occasions we are fed with movies such as A Few Best Men, films that are moderately droll in areas but as an entire piece suffer from shoddy acting styles, poor value film making or commonly pitiable story telling. There also seems to be a few conspicuous technological blips where the words inelegantly do not match the movements of the orifice and the waves of sound are that drab, its pitch could have been recorded in a basement. The modern generation of filmmaking sees a vertical lack of comedy due to fact that filmmakers are duplicating what we've seen before or indisputably writers are finding it rather problematic to construct a comedy that we can all cackle at. Much of the hilarity can be rather humdrum as we can see how one circumstance merges into another.

Although the film feels hectic in places and wittingly hires three lead men to cause havoc on stage whilst the groom endeavours to keep his wedding in an orderly trend before his love-at-first sight wife and her senator father turn their backs on him, the film does lack a distinct amount of energy. The on-screen foursome have inadequately attempted to emulate The Hangover campaign with uncivilized comedy including snooping around and interfering with sheep, exhaling cocaine from a politician's counter and a best man's speech that is accompanied by sheer clumsiness as well as being rather unproductive in its tone.

Gone are the days of Kris Marshall carrying the torch for the ghastly television series My Family and Olivia Newton-John's classy performances at her peak, if any remark one would not have reflected the Grease's magnetism of the 'Pink Ladies' leading lady would have steered her towards such haggardness with a posture so puny in front of the camera that all she can rely on is a few bottles of the happy fluid to cart her through the entire tribulation. Did no one care to inform Dean Craig that writing drivel such as Death at a Funeral should not merit another monotonous and defenceless piece including four indolent and infantile shindig poopers? One minuet facet that may give spectators motivation to watch this film is if you find a little stimulus from seeing a fine old marriage cluttered in disarray regardless of how drab the sequence of events are.
5 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Skip this comedy
jayz-5580728 July 2020
A Few Best Men assembles an impressive cast but they're wasted on a script with unlikeable characters and cheap and juvenile humour.
2 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Almost gets there as a comedy but not quite
rayclister31 January 2012
It is good to see that Australia is returning to the comedy idiom after such a long absence since Muriel's Wedding and Priscilla going back to the early 90's Having said that although I found it quite amusing the first half an hour was a bit flat and until it got into the silliness that most of the comedy consisted of it did not hit the mark. Olivia Newton John surprises in a comedy performance as mother of the bride and it was good to see this Australian icon back on the big screen. The absurdity of some of the situations that unfold is certainly reminiscent of Death at a Funeral but falls short of that comedy gem. Nevertheless it is worth going to see and has more laughs than some American so called comedies
23 out of 36 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A Laugh Out Loud Brit Ausie Hit...
marcusdestorm28 August 2012
David and Mia meet whilst on a summer holiday in Cancun, fall in love and suddenly decide to get married. On his return from the holiday, David tells his long-time best friends Tom, Graham and Luke, who are all up for a good wedding and party with free booze, until David reveals that the wedding will be held at Mia's' parents' house – in Australia. The friends are livid and try and talk their best friend out of making the worst mistake of his life, until David informs them all that they can go to the wedding. Now only one thing needs to be decided, who is going to be the Best Man? Taking off for Australia to meet up with his Bride-to-be, David is told to travel with Mia, while his friends take a detour to see a pre-planned contact who lives out in the middle of nowhere for some marijuana.

Now Tom has a problem (a series of problems actually) of getting into trouble back in the UK, and Australia is no different than back home… except Australia is a much bigger place. An attractive Bride's mother in the house makes Tom's blood burn with desire, while his attempts at purchasing narcotics brings the wedding celebrations well into question… Will David marry Mia? Will Mia marry David? And, more to the point, where did Mia's Father's prize Sheep Ramsey disappear to?

A Few Best Men is a very funny and vibrant film. At the same time it is a comedy with a difference that could be placed as a "Breath of Fresh Air" by anyone and everyone watching it. The whole cast is a misfit group that would never be seen anywhere in the world, not even Manchester, who all keep things together in a tight ship operation. David Xavier Samuel who plays the responsible guy has the power to keep everyone on the straight and narrow, to pull in the sails once in a while so that the other three best friends have a guideline of sorts. But what happens when David is without a guideline? His friends become separated in Mind, Body and Soul – therefore the actions, the results and repercussions of these misfits surfaces like a fart in the depths of the ocean wanting to find freedom of the open air.

Tom (Kris Marshall) becomes the "Stiffler and Finch" of the English kind, drug fuelled, drunken monkey boy, wacked out necessity to any mishap, misshaped, misinterpreted and misguided movie the world over – and then some. His ability to mess things up in the UK are duly noted, but to mess them up in Australia, and especially on David's best day of his life, he knows only too well that there would be no such forgiveness given.

Our decision to give "A Few Best Men" an 8.9 tells the viewer one thing, and that is we were very surprised (But not really) with Kris' part in this film, especially as the developed soul he acquired for acting while in "My Family" seemed to boost him quite a lot. And for him to be acting alongside one of Australia's hottest actresses in history of musicals – Sultry Olivia Newton John – I bet even Finch would be writhing with jealousy.

If you are out at the cinema and you're looking for a good, solid and funny movie, then this is the one for you. It is a truly crafted piece of work, with plenty of the various helpings for everyone, which will make you're night, and why not? The film is from Director of "Priscilla Queen of the Desert" and the Writer and Producers of "Death At A Funeral" (UK Version), so you can be rest assured that there will be laughs, there will be tears and there will be a little tongue-in-cheek controversy – after all, it does have a Sheep in it that has its name on the end credits. Enjoy. Review by The DVD Archive.
9 out of 15 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
waste of time if you want smart laughs
peterfaure20 March 2012
Well, I'll keep this review short and sweet

like many recent Australian and British movies, "A few best men" uses a pretty typical low-brow recipe from the British Isles:

stupid people spend the whole movie getting totally drunk, do even stupider things because of it, and they think it's actually funny or cool...

a recent movie about kids going to some place in Spain to get drunk in the sun (why they even bother traveling beats me), pretty much followed the same recipe.

if that's your idea of humor, great, but personally I think it's boring, meaningless, and something only an alcoholic could sympathize with or actually find funny (the hangover had the original twist of the guys reconstructing what they had done, and already felt tired and boring in the second, this one, and many recent British movies, don't even bother adding twists, drunk and stupid seems to be funny enough)

conclusion: if you enjoy humor that requires a minimum of brain cells, avoid it like the plague
10 out of 26 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Wasn't the worst movie I've ever watched
sylent1-9-19363922 March 2012
I usually like Brit humor and, to be honest, movies that make me cringe I don't usually find entertaining. Other than the most vomitous soundtrack I have ever subjected my ears to this was NOT as bad as some reviewers have indicated. I don't know why someone that is offended by low brow humor would even watch this kind of comedy. And I find it a LITTLE bit pretentious to expect this movie to be Henry James. For what it was it wasn't too bad. It was predictable in places and , I confess to cringing more than once, but I didn't expect some esoteric mind numbing voyage when I watched the movie and in that I wasn't disappointed. As one reviewer said it wasn't "Death at a Funeral" but I don't feel I have wasted hours of my life.
27 out of 42 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Awful...
markcalway5 October 2019
There is comedy in a mishap, but this is one of those films that overdoses on mishaps. Not one thing goes right and there is a terrible predictability followed by one awful situation after another. Even Kris Marshall and Olivia Newton-John are disappointing and sadly unlikable.