The Martha Mitchell Effect (2022) Poster

She told the truth about Nixon, and was kidnapped, drugged, and held prisoner
spacechick-75-9110022 June 2022
Say what you will, but Martha Mitchell was a woman of her time. The 1970s were a completely different time in history for women. Most women were relegated to just being hostesses for their husbands political parties. Women were supposed to be seen but not heard. If any political conversations went on, the women were not involved they were relegated to another separate room. Martha Mitchell did not fit this type cast of a woman. She did not hold her tongue when it came to her opinions. She, along with her husband John Mitchell (later went to jail for organizing the Watergate break in) ran the campaign to reelect President Nixon in 1972.

Martha Mitchell broke the Watergate story. She was held prisoner in a hotel suite in California, drugged, made to appear mentally ill by her own husband and Richard Nixon and his crooks.

We owe a lot to this woman for her bravery to not be silenced. Yes, she drank a bit much, but that doesn't make her unusual for the women of the 70's. It certainly did not make her unpopular. The press loved her. Nixon avoided the Press like the Plague. He was a crook and he was laid open into the light by Martha Mitchell who suffered from financial, social and personal tragedy. In the end, from one woman to another I can say she hasn't gotten nearly enough credit for bringing down an entire corrupt President and All of His Men. Thank you Ms. Mitchell.
9 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A true life American Character who told us what was happening
thejdrage20 June 2022
Martha Mitchell was a very loud outspoken woman who told people what was really happening in American politics in the 70s when The Emperor Had No Clothes. Only she did it with a TON of hair spray!!

Had she been alive and doing the same thing today, she would be "Cancelled" - which is exactly what they did to her then, but with medications and the press.

I would have liked more about her children, but...

She was a brave old broad! More power to her for saying what she believed ..... no matter what the cost. If only more of us had that fortitude and strength.
14 out of 16 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Great documentary
simonapopa-5153322 June 2022
Depicts the political life in Washington DC during Nixon era from the perspective of a wife of a prominent political figure close to Nixon. As expected for that time she was not taken seriously when she told everyone including the press about the political maneuvers made during the Watergate by the president any the ones close to him and that includes her husband. After Nixon's resignation the press recognizes her as person who spoke the truth to power and later from the Watergate tapes we can find that Nixon feared her and tried to silence her multiple times.
10 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
She Told The Truth
digitalbeachbum8 July 2022
I thought this was a well done documentary. They used a lot of old footage, old interviews and even the Nixon tapes. Martha Mitchell was the wife of John Mitchell, who was supposed to be the mastermind of the Watergate Scandal. They show the truth behind Nixon and his cronies. They were crooked through and through, and it makes me wonder about the level of corruption in recent Administrations.

It really is more than an exposure of the Nixon administration. It is an exposure of the US Government, from the top to the bottom. The level of corruption is outstanding and mind numbing. To see this fall apart for her it almost makes you wonder if they deliberately destroyed her, to the point of death.
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Mountain out of a molehill
dierregi21 June 2022
Being European and of a younger generation I had never heard of Mrs. Mitchell but I thought the documentary may be interesting because of the Watergate connection. Turns out it was rather exploitative of the current fashion of putting a woman center stage, even if her part in the story was at best marginal.

What I learned from this is that Mrs. Mitchell was a loudmouth who craved attention and who managed to turn a national scandal into personal drama. She was described as an alcoholic and, with due respect, she looked and sounded slightly intoxicated in a couple of interviews. The fact that her enemy was the despicable Nixon doesn't make her a heroine or a particularly palatable character... and what was that "My husband abandoned me in California!" Couldn't she organize her own transport instead of whining on the phone?

Finally, apart from her generic blabbering about her husband and Nixon doing "horrible things", these things always remained unspecified and I doubt she knew much about the real goings on, even if the biased narrative wants to make it look like Mrs. Mitchell was the direct responsibility of Nixon's downfall.
2 out of 21 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.