Edge of Tomorrow (2014) Poster

Clever, intense Sci-Fi spectacle; offers nearly as much humor as it does excitement along with a great, unexpected turn from Tom Cruise
gogoschka-127 May 2014
Wow - this was unexpected. The trailers had me believe that after 'Battle L.A.' and 'Oblivion' this would be yet another bleak, action- packed, special effects driven Sci-Fi blockbuster about an alien invasion - what the trailers failed to convey almost entirely is that over long stretches, this is also seasoned with nearly as much humor as 'Groundhog Day'. That it would invite comparisons with the Harold Ramis/ Bill Murray classic was obvious, given the time loop premise, but I never expected to what extent those comparisons would actually be justified and that this film would really tap into a similar kind of comedy. Luckily, it is all the better for it.

Most unexpected of all, the main reason the comical aspects during the first half of the film work so well, is Tom Cruise's character, Major William Cage. This is easily Cruise's meatiest role since his turn in 'Magnolia' as Frank T.J. Mackey; forget his usual stern, poster boy heroes: here he plays an entirely different character – and he really seems to relish the opportunity. I won't give away too much, but be prepared to chuckle and laugh when you see a new side of Tom Cruise.

Yet while this is not nearly as bleak as the trailers suggested, it certainly isn't a comedy either. And it absolutely IS an action-packed, special effects driven Sci-Fi blockbuster about battling an alien invasion (the trailers got that right), albeit one with a funny bone and great characters. Speaking of which, the rest of the cast is also very good, especially the gorgeous Emily Blunt. It seems that no matter what she does, she always comes across as genuine and real; here she succeeds in portraying her character - a tough, seasoned soldier other soldiers refer to as "full metal bitch" (no kidding!) - with just the right touch of vulnerability to make her that much more believable. Bill Paxton and Brendon Gleeson are always a welcome addition to any movie, and while they are great (as usual), character-wise, they don't do anything here that you haven't seen them do before.

As for the Sci-Fi spectacle that the trailers promised, I'm glad to report that the film delivers. The battle scenes are beautifully orchestrated (not the Transformer-style blur where you can't make out anything anymore), and there are moments when the intensity of the fighting recalls the landing on Omaha Beach in 'Saving Private Ryan' - without the gore, obviously (after all, this is PG-13). The design of the aliens - the production design in general - is incredibly well done, although I would lie if I said it was something ground-breaking and new the way the first 'Matrix' was (it IS breathtaking, though).

So my verdict: With one of the most inventive (adapted) scripts for an original (mega-budget) film in a long time and the best Tom Cruise we've seen in years, 'Edge of Tomorrow' will have you chuckle and laugh nearly as much as drop your jaw in awe: this is what Hollywood should take as a blueprint for exciting summer entertainment henceforth. 9 stars out of 10.

Favorite Films: http://www.imdb.com/list/ls054200841/

Lesser-known Masterpieces: http://www.imdb.com/list/ls070242495/

Favorite Low-Budget and B-movies: http://www.imdb.com/list/ls054808375/

Favorite TV-Shows reviewed: http://www.imdb.com/list/ls075552387/
913 out of 1,012 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
This movie doesn't think you're an idiot.
Tehmeh4 June 2014
When I saw that Doug Liman was directing and McQuarrie penning, I was interested. I liked Liman's first Bourne film over Greengrass-directed nauseating shaky-cam sequels. McQuarrie is a wonderful screenwriter, and these two seemed like a perfect pair.

I got what I hoped: a movie that doesn't treat me like a 10-year old. "Edge of tomorrow" is smart, entertaining, exciting and fun. It's an original movie as well, not a sequel or a remake (although I hear it might be inspired by a novel or graphic novel).

Tom Cruise - who plays a slightly different character than usually - is good, he always brings his best. He cares about his projects and demands to do as much stunts as possible. His passion can be seen here too and he is again a joy to watch, but this isn't a movie for Cruise to carry. Liman and McQuarrie carry this movie with smart pacing, transitions and that certain magic good filmmakers seem to be able to harness at will.

Emily Blunt isn't a useless sidekick, but a strong and likable character. Not annoyingly strong on the surface like some feminist ball-busting fantasy, but a real character and deserves every minute of her screen time. Bill Paxton was fun to see as a hard-ass sergeant, and Brendan Gleeson was good as well - even though his screen time is limited. All the main actors work well together, if a scene is shared.

The movie flows in an interesting way and it likes to surprise you. I'm not talking about forced twists, I'm talking about that special situation where you don't know what happens next. I've missed that feeling. I didn't have to pretend to care about the movie, I was interested in every minute of it. This happens rarely. And when it ends, you're satisfied. No setting up sequels, no ambiguous crap, just a solid, fitting ending.

Unlike Cruise's last sci-fi film "Oblivion", this is definitely an action movie. At first glance it may look like a generic sci-fi action film - and granted, sometimes (suits, aliens) it does - but there's enough personality of its own. Action looks good and the camera doesn't shake around senselessly. Also, the action never goes into that overblown mode where your senses get tired and you just don't care anymore. Well done.

"Edge of tomorrow" is a thoroughly entertaining film. It's "just" a summer movie, but it's a smart, fun and exciting summer movie. You don't have to make excuses for its shortcomings to enjoy it. It's quality filmmaking and certainly a positive surprise.

9/10, will buy on blu-ray. I recommend this to everyone. Avoid as much spoilers as you can.
671 out of 769 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Wht do you want? A good movie? A spectacular movie? An Exceptional movie? You're reading the review of one
pawanpunjabithewriter20 June 2021
I was enjoying my Sunday evening watching the World Test Championship Final against India and New Zealand until the dark clouds hovered at the sky in Southampton and stopped the play. I switched to Netflix, searched for a movie and played one, however, eventually I was going to go back watching Cricket once it started. Guess what? I never did until I ended. Cricket runs through my blood. My two most favourite teams were at the cricket ground facing each other for the ultimate battle of the World Championship with millions of people supporting both. I was so mesmerized in the movie, I hardly checked out the score. Edge of Tomorrow took me to such an edge of my seat for long I farted almost a hundred times unknowingly. (It's quite a deal-breaker if you're planning to watch a movie with me.) I was profoundly engaged in it for what's going to come. Even good movies have several dull moments, I could hardly figure out one in this movie. Although the first few minutes got me thinking why are they trying to mix The US Army with The UK. This movie has almost everything in it. A package full of entertainment including Action, Sci-fi, adventure and a little bit of comedy whenever they got a chance to add some. The actors were amazing. Tom Cruise and Emily Brunt were so good can't expect better. The others didn't really have much to do with all the limelight shared between the two of them, however, at the end all came out remarkable. Special effects could have been better largely, considering it was a high-budget movie. Also, one thing which could be elaborated more was about the antagonist. I feel their side should have been shown a little.

Truthfully, we humans are always curious to know more about them. All that was focused on were the two protagonists. This is not just a one-time watch movie, can keep watching it over years.
34 out of 36 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
What a Fantastic Movie!
somersetboy10 July 2016
Superb! I rarely get to go to a movie with my older son after his siblings came along. We did manage to go to this movie in the cinemas. Not only were we glad we chose this movie to watch, but two years later, we still recall the impact this movie had on both of us.

This science fiction story is deeply satisfying. The movie treats the viewers as intelligent people. It is not in the same league of a plethora of science fiction movies that hit the cinemas every year. For example this year we have Independence Day 2, a high budget sequel to a high budget b-movie from a long time ago. It is profoundly forgettable. That is in stark contrast to Edge of Tomorrow, which has stayed with me for so long and today motivated me to come here on IMDb to write a review after two years!

This movie is a must watch. Thanks for reading.
165 out of 191 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Witty and thrilling summer blockbuster with Tom Cruise in top form
lornloxor28 May 2014
You could describe this movie as a dizzying combination of Groundhog Day, Starship Troopers, Source Code and The Butterfly Effect. Edge of Tomorrow borrows from these films and while some of the individual ideas may not therefore be groundbreakingly original, the way they're combined and put to use in Edge of Tomorrow by director Doug Liman certainly is. As aliens have invaded Earth, humanity's only hope lies in a cowardly PR officer Bill Cage (played by Tom Cruise) with no combat skills who is sent to the front lines. His only advantage? A save point, sort of. Are you excited yet? You should be. I don't want to tell you more specifics about the plot because it's best to experience and discover this great piece of work yourself.

You have to love Tom Cruise as an actor, he always gives his roles a 100 percent and he's phenomenal in Edge of Tomorrow - Physical, funny and determined. I'd say this is his best performance since Collateral. Emily Blunt is fantastically badass as the poster girl of the war, Rita Vrataski. This is her first real action film and she knocks it out of the park. Cruise and Blunt also have great chemistry together. Bill Paxton and Brandon Gleeson give great supporting performances and most of the supporting soldiers have distinct personalities even with their limited screen times.

Edge of Tomorrow's world building is slick and credible. The CGI and the special effects are seamless and bring the great set pieces and the relentless aliens to life. The action is really exhilarating (the cool exoskeleton suits definitely help here) and the script is very witty and inventive as it needs to be when you're dealing with time travel (or time resets if you will). Despite its action thrills Edge of Tomorrow finds plenty of room for character development both for Cruise and Blunt. The script also manages to pull off some quite funny scenes (especially in the training segment). I also have to mention James Herbert's snappy editing because it's that good. The the situations could get old really fast if it wasn't for the fast-paced editing that concisely and freshly shows the differences in each repetition Cruise goes through. The pacing is absolutely relentless and there isn't a boring moment in the film.

The tone of the film is pretty much perfect for a summer blockbuster. It's not overly morose or gloomy despite the backdrop of an alien invasion. Instead it opts for wit, fun and action thrills. I was really gripped from start to finish and I had this big grin on my face when I left the theater. I really liked the other recent blockbusters in Godzilla and X-Men: Days of Future Past but Edge of Tomorrow surpasses them both. If only every summer blockbuster was such good fun.
589 out of 709 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Hoped for a good movie .. got an amazing one instead (No Spoiler)
Jonas898930 May 2014
After watching the trailer i was really hyped about the movie because of its theme and potential to be a really good movie. But on the other side i knew how bad the most potential good movies in the past ended up. I was scared that they screw it up and give us another Oblivion or Ilisium with much cgi-effects and bad story and no real story and/or characters.

So i took my girlfriend and went in the movie with mixed feelings. But then, right from the beginning, i knew this movie would be fantastic. The first minutes really hooked me and i found myself in a funny, filled with perfect action and intelligent movie. You had the feeling like you were directly in it and you really feel with Tom Cruise from the beginning to the end. I don't like Tom Cruise in general but this role just fits him. Nobody who sees this movie could deny this. From minute to minute i was more and more in this fantastic story and wanted to last forever. But eventually the movie ended and i was really satisfied with everything.

Two main characters who played perfectly, a fascinating story well told and really fast and good looking action made it for me the best movie i watched in a while (and i watch pretty much movies). Even though i don't like to recommend movies because of different tastes I really want to do this with this movie. The story is well told and there are no boring repeatings. Even my girlfriend who normally don't like movies with much action liked it a lot and added Emily Blunt to one of her favorite actresses of all time.

Oh well, 10/10
591 out of 717 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A Summer Blockbuster Not To Be Missed
CalRhys22 June 2014
One of the most ingenious film concepts ever created, a cross between 'Saving Private Ryan' and 'Groundhog Day', 'Edge of Tomorrow' is a gripping and clever blockbuster sci-fi thrill-ride accompanied with taut, fast-paced action and compelling direction. Tom Cruise and Emily Blunt form a perfect chemistry that takes them from the training ground, to the battlefield through to the action-bound finale in Paris. The premise of the time-loop has been used many times before, but this time round there are enough exciting visuals and dynamic storytelling skills employed to make this one thrilling (and unexpectedly comedic) flick that is unpredictable and expertly designed. A model of cinematic craftsmanship.
287 out of 350 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
BETTER than I was expecting!
knyffeler9 June 2014
I saw the trailer of this, but was expecting another campy "Independence Day" trying to be too funny, "War of the Worlds" that tried to be too serious or "District 9" that was FX for FX sake. I probably would have not gone, but my date said her daughter saw it and loved it.

Wow, was I surprised! The characters make the movie. Cruise's less-than-perfect, frustrated but determined "Cage" quickly got me rooting for him. Emily Blunt's serious "Rita" was a great mirror image protagonist.

The special effects were so clean and well integrated that they didn't overpower the story or become center stage. Instead, they added to bringing in me into making the unreal premise more real.

In the end, this is probably the coolest sci-fi love story I have ever seen. It is nice to see that Hollywood can still produce something other than the formulaic trash that usually keeps me away from the theaters. Warner Brothers, thanks for putting $178 million on the table to make this!
193 out of 233 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
This year's most surprising blockbuster movie so far
aldri-feb28 May 2014
With thrilling action sequences, clever sense of humor and surprisingly intellectual storyline, "Edge of Tomorrow" shows a real deal of summer blockbuster movie and proves itself beyond expectation especially after unconvincing trailers. Perhaps the theme and alien character looks familiar with some popular sci-fi movies but it's still combined perfectly as an entertainment. Doug Liman as director smartly exploited 're-setting the day' aspect without making it complicated and escaping it from being dull with some quality combat moments also inserting lovable drama that is commanded by memorable chemistry from Tom Cruise and Emilly Blunt have carried whole scenes in it. Overall "Edge of Tomorrow" feels more satisfying than it might have been in any ways and shows how the non-sequel-reboot blockbuster movie should be done. It's definitely much fun than I have ever imagined and pleasurable to re-watch it over and over again.
250 out of 322 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I love this movie
bdawe1421 September 2021
I've seen this movie a few times in the past and I enjoy it every time it's on. I just watched this movie on my big screen TV with the lights out and it's the first movie on years that actually felt like a spectacular action movie. 8 watch a lot of movies and this one is definitely underrated. I won't give away any spoilers but if you're in the mood for an action packed thrill ride with loads of sci fi then you've just found it. Emily Blunt and Tom Cruise are both amazing in this movie. Well worth watching anytime it's on.
9 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The people calling this movie "intelligent" are correct
mikemx32125 March 2018
Read the negative reviews, the people calling this movie stupid etc. etc. obviously weren't able to fully understand what they were seeing. This is the risk filmmakers take when they don't assume the audience is going to have the mentality of a 10-year-old, but thankfully most of us don't need every little aspect explained in full.

This movie hits on every level, it's fast, witty, action packed, and presents depth in surprising places. If you don't have ADHD and can stay focused so you don't fall behind, and possess the ability to perceive without your hand being held and walked through a plot, you are most definitely going to like this movie. I personally give this a "10" because I consider Edge of Tomorrow one of the best films I've ever seen But even if it's not your exact cup of tea, it should at least be a 6 or 7.
57 out of 71 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Amazing
lhbaker-2878316 July 2021
When you have a movie that has a massive budget with spectacular action and effects and doesn't mess up the plot, story, or characters, like the Edge of Tomorrow does, then that's when you've got yourself a good movie.

Plus the plot is a good one that the movie gave us time to understand. Every actor/actress did a great job at their role in the movie. The characters were well developed. The action and effects are phenomenal. Everything about this movie is amazing!

Overall this definitely deserves a 9/10 because the Edge of Tomorrow is amazing, but I will say that there are better movies out there. However overall I would still definitely recommend the Edge of Tomorrow.
8 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
So re-watchable!
jsbfraser4 July 2021
Have I got something on my face! Between Emily's fearless performance and Paxton's hilarious sarcasm (GRHS) this film is so re-watchable. It's funny where it needs to be, scary in all the right places and keeps you engaged all the way through. Love it!
12 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
My absolute favourite movie of all time
musasrd9 June 2020
It's so amazing in every way. Humorous, thrilling sci-fi, solid plot, top notch acting, even the romance; this movie's got it all. Without a doubt a must watch!
28 out of 34 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Why bother on originality when the execution is so well-handed?
kshirad28 May 2014
There are multiple plot strands from other films gathered into a union. I won't give you any hint but you'll get it when you see it. Nowadays, movies are short on originality. But, in this case, you won't give a thing about it.

Premise: An inexperience military officer was sent to war to fight an alien race invading the earth. In the middle of the battlefield, he got into an accident which causes him to go into time- loop that repeats each moment when he dies.

The basis of the plot looks familiar... That could be a big problem. On the contrary, it succeeded to provide a big summer blockbuster satisfaction. The pacing is perfect, the acting is perfect. Oh, and did i mention the effects? It was ragin'!

See this movie with low expectations (2D or 3D doesn't matter)...
216 out of 305 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Love, love this movie
Dobie023 July 2021
One of the best time travel and action movies. I can watch over and over again. Each time you watch you see something you missed in earlier viewings. Tom Cruise and Emily Blunt have great chemistry. I love them both in this.
11 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
One of the very best sci-fi movies ever
xxxxxdarkmoon1 April 2021
If you like time-traveling movies, this is the movie for you. Because there is no better one. Neither Looper nor Predestination or Interstellar. Edge of tomorrow has mind-blowing action and effects, a fantastic story, it is incredibly funny without being a comedy, and all actors do a great job.

Tom Cruise and Emily Blunt are amazing, it is one of Tom Cruise's best movies. Bill Paxton plays a sergeant and he is perfect in that role, he is hilarious. Brendan Gleeson plays the general and he is amazing. Isn't he the guy who played the father of that teen girl of "28 days later"? I recommend watching that movie twice because there is so much going on. It is a must watch movie.
11 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
one the best sci fi movies of all time
mradul_d26 September 2021
One of the best sci fi movie in a long long time and that with with a amazing acting and story .
7 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Brilliant movie with brilliant acting
roadrunnerz-9607418 September 2021
What a clever and entertaining thrill ride from start to finish. This is not any old Tom Cruise movie. He is a coward here. A lame duck. And he needs to get trained. By Emily Blunt! Yes, she the master of drama and romance in her first real action movie. She is amazingly ripped here and what a character to play, few female such as this in cinema and really pays respect and admiration to her. I think her best role in her career tbh.
On your feet, Maggot!🤣🤣
pkush-3931315 September 2021
Brilliant! Surely a great movie to watch. Recommend for SCI-FI genre lovers.
Clever and suspenseful thriller
roadrunnerz4512 August 2021
Movie that has gotten better over time. Very unique with the basic premise being the restart of the day based on a video game concept. Yet it is completely different from any movie created because of a focus on character development and relationship between Cruise and Blunt. These are completely different roles for both of them and brings out the best performances of their career. Hoping for a sequel at some point but if this is it, thankfully it happened and they teamed up just once. And how magical they are together.
7 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Great concept, and proper execution
gelmcchristop10 August 2021
Edge of Tomorrow could easily have slipped into being another boring over-hyped sci-fi mess, but thankfully that is not the case. The core of its success is its strongly structured plot and meticulous production. The idea itself is a clever twist upon a beloved concept, but it would have meant nothing had it not being so carefully brought to life. First of all it has been simplified enough to allow time for the audience to enjoy the action without bothering too much about tiny crucial details, and this has directly contributed to a shorter than average runtime, which in turn makes it easier for the viewer not to lose interest and take in the entire plot.

Diving into the "technical" parameters, the directing is smooth, with proper pacing and a top-notch revelation of the alien species. The cinematography is sturdy as well, featuring a remarkable use of natural sunlight. The visual effects are surprisingly subtle for the genre of the movie, just as much thanks to their photorealism as well as thanks to the main concept which literally makes the aliens look normal compared to what the characters are experiencing.

Overall, more than pleased to watch a movie tiptoeing on the verge of being complete nonsense turn out to be a masterpiece.
Very entertaining.
jmariani-5979930 July 2021
Interesting, original and fun to watch. A few minor plot holes here and there, an editing blip or two, neither of which can't be overlooked for a smartly told, well-acted movie with lots of action. But if you're looking for a lot of blood and guts, you'll be a bit disappointed. Oh, yes, many humans and aliens alike are killed, but it says a lot about this movie when it doesn't have to serve up gore to keep the viewer interested every minute of the movie. Highly recommend if you're looking for a fast-paced, action-packed sci-fi movie.
great sci-fi
SnoopyStyle30 April 2015
An alien race has invaded the Earth starting in Europe. After 5 years of relentless defeats where the Mimics seem to anticipate every move, the United Defense Force finally has a victory with the invention of a new jacket technology. Rita Vrataski (Emily Blunt) is hailed as an example of the new success. William Cage (Tom Cruise) is a military media officer. General Brigham (Brendan Gleeson) is sending him on the first wave to cover the expected victory. He is arrested and forced to fight under Master Sergeant Farell (Bill Paxton). He manages to kill a large Mimic. He is sprayed with its blood and dies. He wakes up the previous morning as a prisoner about to go into battle.

The action is fantastic. The idea is terrific. Tom Cruise starts as his arrogant stock character and transition into his superhero stock character. Emily Blunt continues to excel in a character reminiscent of her character in Looper. Everything comes together. This is funny and exciting. Doug Liman puts it all together into a great thrilling ride.
19 out of 23 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Yes, It's Really A Ten. One Of The Best SF Films Ever
TMAuthor6 September 2021
If you haven't seen this yet. Watch it, and you're welcome.

This is a near perfect film, and I don't hand out 10 star ratings as a general rule. Over the years it has been fun to introduce friends to this movie. And every single one responds with, "I can't believe I've never seen this before." Cruise turns in one of his best performances as a greasy military PR officer who wants nothing but a little lime light, and no mayhem. And then is forced to become someone better.

The Ground Hog Day element is handled beautifully. The scenes with the platoon are hilarious and riveting at the same time. There is no filler here. Everything you see on screen is integral to the plot and the characters.

All the actors are cast well, and do a terrific job. The special effects, particularly the unique look for the aliens, are top notch.

Paxton is great in a classic straight man role, and Blunt is a complete revelation. I always admired her work, but never imagined she had this kind of range. Seriously, go check out her work in period pieces, horror or comedy. She's got chops.

The fact that this movie didn't kill at the box office is a classic blunder, and a testament to the distribution studios' failure to market it correctly; similar to Firefly being destroyed by Fox marketing it as something it wasn't.

Highly recommend. If you like science fiction this is really an excellent film, and one of the best treatments of time travel out there. Better than About Time which was also very good.
10 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.