The Lost Future (TV Movie 2010) Poster

(2010 TV Movie)

An above average SyFy movie
trumpman14 November 2010
Many of the SyFy Channel's original made-for-TV movies have been disappointing, to say the least. Their latest entry however, "The Lost Future", proved to be fairly entertaining. Which is something to say since I'm not usually into post-apocalypse-themed movies. Here are some observations:

1) special effects - though there were not that many required, the ones present were well done, eg. the big monster-creature. The cinematography was good also. 2) acting - decent and believable. 3) story line - starts out with clan interaction followed by its relationship to the tribe. Then branches out to conflict with main enemy, then adds additional allies (and adversaries). The Huck Finn raft was a nice touch.

This movie seemed more believable and "realistic" than other SyFy movies, albeit at the end the future still seems pretty lost to me. All-in-all, "The Lost Future" was a step above the usual SyFy movie fare.
104 out of 131 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Mad Max meet Lord of the Rings
Knighthawk70117 June 2011
Okay this has been done before so do not expect anything really original here. It's Syfy working together with a German cable TV company so don't expect a big budget either.

The story is set in the future were a tribe of people have to hunt for their survival. There was a plague were humans would turn into half-beasts when they would come into contact with people who carry the disease. The tribe comes under siege by a group of these savages and three of them are going to get help.

The acting is quite good actually. The scenery is almost breathtaking and film work good. The big flaw in this movie is that people are clean and pretty. I mean, come one, they hunt like savages and live in huts and caves. Yet they look like they just came from the beauty salon! Yet the movie is still quite enjoyable if you don't expect another Mad Max.
27 out of 31 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Great bones, ugly carpeting
ivanovaat28 June 2011
Wow, the reviews on this movie are all over the place. Is it garbage? Is it an overlooked gem? Well, a little of both.

If you've ever been househunting, you've run into houses that had "good bones" - good solid construction, nice layout, good plumbing, electrical, etc..... but these homes often have ugly carpeting, out-of-date wallpaper, and a kitchen and bath that need a MAJOR redo. That's this movie.

Overall, the movie has an interesting premise, a lot of fun action, characters that you care about and gorgeous scenery. Good bones. Unfortunately, the movie also suffers from silly mistakes and sloppy writing that needlessly diminish it. The scene, for example, where the characters come across leeches for, apparently the first time in their lives (though they are in a body of water IN the village), then in the next scene they refer to these creatures casually as "leeches". What? A second ago they were horrified and baffled at the sight of them! Or the fact that when attacked, they all cry out, "To the Cave!" and all run to what is apparently their Emergency Back-Up Cave (complete with an emergency "door" that seals them in).... yet strangely, the cave has no food nor water stored in it, and they are soon worried about this - understandably.

These minor, but frustratingly inane situations occur with sad frequency - but my hubby and I kept with the film because... it does have good bones, just ugly carpeting.

Really ugly carpeting.

Just watch the film imagining hardwood floors, granite countertops and stainless steel appliances. LOL!

13 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Enjoyed it Very Much Above Average SyFy Fun
elliott7821224 March 2011
Don't believe all the haters this was miles above the usual SyFy channels movies. Sean Bean while he has a small part adds a bit of validation to the Film. Reminded me a little of 10,000BC, the few special effects pieces were well done, acting was good overall. The movie moves along at a nice pace and you really care about the characters. Add to the mix some Zombies and you have a great evening of popcorn munching fun for home viewing if this were out on DVD I would probably rent it for my friends who haven't seen it. Beautiful Cinematography really captures the sites and help to draw you in to the overall story.
39 out of 52 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I anticipated liking it, but.....
lowellstone6 March 2012
I tend to like direct-to-video movies in this genre, I know they are made with small budgets and with a limited number of recognizable stars, but they usually have ambitious plot lines and stories which can turn quickly by introducing new adversaries, terrorizing beasts, etc. Every time "The Lost Future" approached a point where it could have become exciting or, at least thoughtful, it took the easy way out.

It could have been much better, or at least a lot more fun. The giant sloth-beast appeared at the beginning of the movie and gave some hope that there would be more special effects, but it was not to be.

Keep at it SYFY; most of your movies may not be intellectual treasures, but at least they're fun!
5 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
What was Sean Bean thinking?
Fozzibear24 May 2014
This film falls in between two genres; proper grown up movies with proper plots and real acting, and syfy type b movie camped up dross. Sean Bean was obviously brought into add some credibility to the proceedings but must have sat in his trailer wondering what on earth he had signed up for.

As far as filming goes the camera work was competent although fight scenes were haphazard, largely to cover up a lack of effective cgi. The music was absolutely awful and added nothing to the proceedings. The backdrops were very good but weren't used very well.

The biggest problem was the huge plot holes, literally everywhere. Some more obvious ones are listed below.

SPOILER ALERT

1 Cave - mentioned by other reviewers 2 Why were they living in the open? Surely a few hundred years after civilisation was wiped out, some semblance of building skills must have remained? 3 If the cavemen were surrounded by infected beasts, where were the traps etc? to protect themselves? 4 How did half a dozen men with rope bring down a giant sloth ten times bigger than a grizzly bear? And then proceed to not eat it, despite hunting it for food? On that note, if they were out of food to take such reckless action why were all the actors do flush with health? 5 Why were Sean a beans teeth so bad when he was the civilised one, yet the main hero cavemen were perfect? 6 How did the villain make it across the chasm after the bridge was destroyed and end up in camp five minutes after they arrived? Why didn't one of the men on horseback just shoot him instead of standing around waiting for him to load up his crossbow? 7 How can there be a sub tropical climate with climbers over old buildings yet the library full of old books he dusty, with no signs of any water damage to the books there? 8 Yellow powder - mentioned before by other reviewers.

There are more but I am losing the will to live at this point so I'll leave it there.

Best avoided unless your really bored or love had movies.
8 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Underrated Adventure
claudio_carvalho16 April 2011
In a post-apocalyptic world, a group of survivors led by Uri (Tertius Meintjes) and the ancients are organized in tribe, in a primitive society without technology and lives in a small village in the Grey Rock National Park surrounded by beasts that transmit a disease that transforms the victims in mutants. Uri's son Savan (Corey Sevier) is the best hunter of their tribe and successor of his father, while Kaleb (Sam Claflin) is the best tracker and together with his sister Miru (Eleanor Tomlinson), they are the only survivors that can read and writer. Their father Jaret believed that it might exist other survivors outside Grey Rock and left them alone to wander around the area. Kaled is a dreamer and secretly loves Savan's woman Dorel (Annabelle Wallis).

When the beats surprisingly attack Uri's hamlet, a group runs to a cave and block the entrance with logs. Kaleb saves Dorel from a beast and sooner Savan meets them. Out of the blue, the stranger Amal (Sean Bean) approaches to the trio and invites them to join his family, composed by his wife Neenah (Jessica Haines) and their son Persk that lives in the outskirt of Grey Rock protected by a river. Sooner Amal discloses to them that Jaret had found the formula of a yellow powder that cures the sick persons. However, the evil Gagen (Jonathan Pienaar) had stolen the powder and kept with him. Amal, Savan, Kaleb and Dorel travel together to find Gagen and bring the yellow powder to their tribe.

Yesterday I saw "The Lost Future" and based on the 4.7 IMDb User Rating, I found it an underrated adventure. The story is entertaining and Sean Bean and the unknown actors and actresses have good performances. The special effects are decent and fortunately I did not give credit to the bitter users that were not able to appreciate a pleasant adventure. My vote is seven.

Title (Brazil): "O Futuro Perdido" ("The Lost Future")
36 out of 53 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
written by a ten year old
bradsbucs25 October 2013
okay, so the mutant thingies are brainless, animals who are humanoid, BUT; the future-humans-cavepeople aren't allowed into their territory. (HUNH? Wouldn't that require some modicum of intelligence?) Ah, but that's where the giant sloth is so they go there anyway because the tribe hasn't had meat in weeks and is starving. After they kill this 6 thousand pound creature they return to their village with one ten pound roast and the heart.(HUNH?, I guess they eat like birds.) Then the mutants attack and most of the villagers make it into their cave where they drop this clever barrier of logs at the entrance. The mutants are locked out, they are safe inside. BUT,,, nobody had the sense to store some food or water so they face the prospect of starvation. And no back door!(Way to plan future cavemen!!!) I could go on and on,because this story is full of inanities but I will touch on the biggest incredulity of all and it is the linchpin of the plot. The yellow dust. With the fate of the human race at stake and every PHD in medicine IN THE WORLD working unsuccessfully on a cure a few hundred years later some caveman figures it out with a few herbs and spices! Amazing!!
10 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Can you imagine the "Pitch" Meeting ?
jcuticchia15 November 2010
I can just imagine the "Pitch" Meeting.

OK. We have cavemen and zombies - well, not exactly zombies, we'll call them mutants. The cavemen all have perfectly groomed facial hair and the cave women wear makeup.

Well, these aren't OLD cavemen - this is the future and we have turned back into cavemen. Nobody can read, but everybody can speak perfect English.

Oh - and they fight giant Sloths and apparently (though not seen, but mentioned) Mammoths. Since this is "future-cavemen" those creatures were made by genetic engineering in the past - you know, before everyone turned into cavemen.

There are apparently only 2 people who can read. One of them is a caveman from a tribe attacked by zombies (oh - I mean mutants). His father taught him to read (apparently using Mark Twain literature) then his father died. However before he died, he made a "yellow dust" which keeps people from becoming zombies (oh - I mean mutants). So the son must use his reading skills (and apparently the ability to understand chemical structures) to make more "yellow dust."

Then we end it!

Q: Does he make the "yellow dust"? A: Can we say "SEQUEL" !!!
29 out of 47 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Up there with the best Post-Apocalyptic movies.
superal19669 May 2011
*Contains Spoilers*

When I saw Sean Bean was in this I thought he must be quite hard up but The Lost Future is a very good film and sadly it will always remain an uncovered gem. The Lost Future should be showing on Sky Premier and not the SyFy channel

The plot is consisted with Post-Apocalyptic movies; advanced Science had reached the point whereby extinct creatures where being recreated, but along with animals such as the Mammoth a deadly virus came about which all but wiped about human civilization completely, leaving pockets of 'tribes' scattered across the world.

Kaleb's father had discovered a cure, the yellow power, and before sharing his knowledge on how to create it he was killed by a power hungry warlord (who I thought looked very much like Alan Rickman). The film follows Kaleb and his two companions as they head off to reclaim the powder with the help of Sean Bean, it's nothing ground breaking but it holds together and is easily on a par with it's Hollywood counterparts; I am Legend comes to mind which I also really enjoyed.

Other than Sean Bean I didn't really recognise anybody else (although one guy looked so much like Morgan Freeman) but the entire cast put on a good show from the word go. The direction was fantastic and the few special effects were well done given the low budget.

Maybe Hollywood is starting to show us what we all fear and choose not to believe, but there is an ever increasing number of films where man's greed for money and power eventually brings about the end of civilization, and The Lost Future is no different, but it does it a lot better than many other films in it's genre.

If you enjoy watching SyFy films then definitely try and catch this when it is on again, if you don't watch SyFy films, then start by watching The Lost Future. It is a diamond in the rough but I doubt it will ever reach the masses, which is a real shame as its up there with the best Post-Apocalyptic movies. 8/10
11 out of 16 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Tip top Sci-fi
mikelang4216 October 2011
Here is a tip top made for TV Sci-Fi movie. The script is clever, the film belies it's budget looking fab with the South African locations and all the cast shine.The creature effects are excellent and the action gallops along with some style.I would of really liked to have seen this on a big cinema screen rather than my TV,big as it is, with the bloody adverts every 10 muns butting in.Another problem with watching films on TV here in the UK is the TV channel logo top right all the way through a film. Someone explain why? I know which station i am on. Anyway can't fault this film so it gets top marks from me mainly due to 60 years of not seeing this plot used before in the Sci-fi genre.Well worth your time or rent it without fear of the cost.
15 out of 24 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Miles above anything SyFy has done
TheLittleSongbird19 July 2011
I cannot believe how surprisingly good The Lost Future was. I mean there have been some surprisingly tolerable SyFy movies, but even they have too many mediocre moments to be above very good status. In my honest opinion, a vast majority of SyFy's output isn't worth bothering with.

The Lost Future was surprisingly good, and for me too good a movie to be airing on the SyFy Channel. Perhaps the ending could have been a little more, that said, The Lost Future is handsomely photographed and the few special effects there are done with care. The music fits with the movie very well, the script while having the odd cheesy moment is mostly entertaining and the story has a great concept that is told and explored better than you would expect, in fact this story actually feels as though it was written by somebody who cared about it, you find that with very few SyFy productions.

The direction is better than average too, the action is choreographed with skill and is compelling as is the acting, with the always solid Sean Bean giving one of the better performances of any movie aired on the SyFy Channel. Overall, this was surprisingly good and miles above anything SyFy has done. 8/10 Bethany Cox
19 out of 33 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I regret that I finished it..
likansis21 December 2011
There are movies that you watch and think! How did they manage to get money to make movies like this? (similar like Tomatoes Killers(and sequels) I do realize we all have our own taste in movies, but seriously!!! Story line, logic, the way people look, their believes...etc. They could of make movies like this back in 60. What happens when we watch some fantasy or Sci-Fi movies of 60's? we giggle and think... "this does not seams real... nether this... this would not evolve into that... this is just silly..." and so on! Just like this movie! What is the verdict? Do not watch this movies unless your only alternative for evening entertainment is smashing your head against the wall. This movies will not give you any idea of what would world look like after post-apocalyptic event! It will not wider your horizons of imagination or what ever.... p.s. Sean Bean is a good actor! He must of had money problems why he accepted this role, or it was a favor to some producer...
8 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Surprisingly good considering that it is a SyFy production.
p-jonsson4 May 2013
This is a fairly okay movie. If you take into account that it is actually a SyFy production it is really fantastic and miles above most things produced by SyFy. It was certainly not one of those movie that left you with a what-a-waste-of-time feeling when you went to bed after seeing it in the evening. Rather on the contrary.

The fact that Sean Bean is part of the cast is of course a good start. I generally like his performance. I was actually quite disappointed when he was killed off already in the first season of Game of Thrones. The rest of the cast are okay. Perhaps not Oscars-winning material but good enough.

The story is a reasonably classical post-apocalyptic one where the survivors of the human race fight against extinction. There is no this-is-what-happened scenes whatsoever at the beginning of the movie. We're dumped straight into it and only a good chunk into the movie do we get to know what supposedly happened. There are certainly some silly holes in the story. Such as why this group of humans could have remained safe if their little place for generations when, in reality, the mutants could just walk in. Also, although the scenes at the ruins of the old city was quite okay the "library" bugged me. There was no roof for Christ sake! After the first couple of rains those books would have been gone.

Apparently there was some controversy around the movie when it was shown. The movie was intended for a 12 year rating but it got a 15 year one due to an "explicit sex scene". That is just so much bullocks. There is indeed a scene showing two people having sex from some distance. There is nothing "explicit" about it whatsoever. It is so typical of the brain-dead movie censors in a lot of countries. 12 year olds cannot be expected to see people doing a natural thing but stabbing people left, right and centre is fine? Otherwise the movie was a quite entertaining action/disaster/fantasy type of movie and, as I said, hugely better than most things SyFy-channel have produced.
9 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Stay away
MedicatedPsychopath17 July 2011
As I've used this site to build up my library of movies i feel obliged to warn you. This is my first review, and i only write this to warn you against; poor performance from actors (poor acting), poor story and poor effects. Sean Bean is always good and thats why i gave it 2 stars. I bought this garbage on blue ray and i'm tempted to sell it on E-bay for half price, don't waste your time watching this and for heaven sake don't buy it.

Much better in the same genre is "the postman" and "the road". Those movies got fabulous acting, a good story and are worth a place in a respectable collection.
17 out of 31 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Post apocalyptic vampire-werewolf-zombies.
scottwallvashon13 November 2010
Like many of the things the sigh fie channel puts out, this looked good in the previews. But it wasn't. It was just another endless, meaningless monster driven blood fest.

When they started on their quest, I had hopes that something remarkable—or at least surprising—might turn up. All they found was an abandoned city (expected) and a tyrant. There was nothing compelling or inspiring.

This is a future derived from our own civilization. The disease that threatens them is a disease from our own technology. It is just another super flu. It is nothing more than rabies on steroids. The magic powder is nothing but a vaccine.

And, of course, it was all the fault of overzealous capitalists. If only they had listened to the wise guild of environmentalist humanists none of this would have happened!

Skip this and watch Dancing with the Stars or Celebrity Apprentice. Sure they're silly…but they are not a disappointment.
22 out of 46 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Colour me indecisive
neil-4766 April 2011
I have mixed feelings about this post-apocalyptic tale of making extra yellow dust to prevent people turning into mutants and, thereby, breaking the power of an evil tyrant who looks like Nicolas Cage but isn't.

On the one hand, it is handsomely photographed, excellent South African location work, decent special effects (especially cityscapes), reasonably executed action sequences, tolerable acting, and generally a reasonable sense of production values put on the screen.

On the other hand, it is the most execrable twaddle, and it suffers from what I call One Million Years BC Syndrome - scruffy, mucky men and beautifully coiffed and made up women (with excellent dental work, by the way - glad to see that well-equipped dental surgeries and first class dental training survived the apocalypse).
6 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Decent on its own terms, much better than SyFy average
L_Miller13 July 2013
A post-pandemic world is the setting for a very watchable morality tale about obligation to others and sacrifice for the collective good.

Some klunk here and there but the sets, costumes, performances and themes are well above the very, very, very, very low bar set by SyFy (e.g., "Mega Python vs. Gatoroid"), in fact far enough above that this is a decent movie in its own right.

Sean Bean is a decent actor and does well in this movie along with no- name cast, to a unusually deep level. Good action scenes, too; fights from horseback, group hand-to-hand combat, interiors and exteriors.

The major characters all have interesting conflicts and the interaction is believable (though as some have said, they are all waaaay too pretty). No eye candy shouting their lines; the actors modulate well and for a very large part play their roles believably.

There's also a nice structural component with parallel story lines, unusually nuanced for the media. The story lines alternate well between the questing leads, the tribespeople trapped in the cave, and Gagen's self-justifying depravity, are better than expected for the genre.

One of the other reviews said "Good bones, bad carpeting". That's well put - I'd say the carpeting is cheap, not bad, but that's just semantics.

To be clear - this is not an A-list movie; it's entertaining but low budget. The primitive tribespeople are groomed to the max and comically articulate, the effects are serviceable but still almost all CGI, one of the leads father seems to have somehow taught -himself- to read in the absence of any other literate persons (??), etc.

All of that notwithstanding, I have sat through way worse Hollywood crap with 100X the budget and one-tenth the script. Not Inception or anything epic, but worth a watch if you are looking for a couple of hours of entertainment.

I make all these points because the people who make these movies work just as hard as the Hollywood A_listers but don't get the recognition.

Just because it's a B movie doesn't mean there should be no standards. When a movie crew puts time and effort into making a structurally good movie, it deserves recognition even if it's never going to be on "Entertainment Tonight".

There should be a genre name for these films which not quite A-list but better than traditional "B movies" - decently made, not great art, but decent entertainment. Maybe "paperback movie" is a better title - other examples are "Snitch", "The Naked Kiss", "Love and a .45", or "Red Eye".
5 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Oh my eyes!!
roadtosturgis10 March 2012
This was an awful movie, I too wondered how anyone financed this film. Some times reviews on IMDb are less than candid because nobody wants to offend someone they may work with in the future but come on people!

In the beginning the hunters carry sticks with what appear to be plastic tips. They take down a huge sloth which looks like bad carpeting on a rejected sports club mascot. The hunters complain about how they need meat yet none of the hunters actually cut anything from the sloth to take back to the camp except one guy and that because he wanted to eat the heart (possibly due to the old cowboy/Indian movies where the guy who strikes the first blow always gets the heart, yeah right) There really wasn't an original shot, action or piece of dialogue in the entire film. The costumes were silly. The hot girls/cave women wore makeup and looked pretty but not believable.

Except for Mr. Bean the acting was awful. Space and distance didn't seem to matter because while everyone had to cross the ocean and a few mountains. The bad guy arrived within moments of the good guys getting to camp despite the fact that the bridge over the canyon was cut so he would have had to find another way to their camp. He must have had a GPS because he actually found their camp without having the ability to follow them.

Apparently the fact that the kid could read also gave him the ability for figure out chemical compounds. It was difficult to watch.
5 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Awful. Naive. Sexist. Unimaginative. Twee.
misterlei21 May 2015
This movie only has Sean Bean acting in it to recommend it but - guess what - in it he plays a rough, tough Yorkshireman (can Sean Bean play anything else?), albeit a disenfranchised one. All the villagers wander in the dust around wearing neat and pristine animal skins which are just a little too perfect, and the inhabitants themselves are all a little too finely-manicured (including beards and haircuts neatly-trimmed) to suggest the rough living of a sparse and dangerous post-apocalyptic world. The movie is kind of broadly plausible until it announces The Yellow Powder, the salvation of the human race, but currently in the possession of an evil overlord who looks like the Sheriff of Nottingham from numerous Robin Hood incarnations. The evil overlord's young daughter is just a little too eager to help the escapees, especially as it will mean inevitable death to her unfortunately evil father. Oh, and The Yellow Powder has a miraculous and instant healing power; and there seems to be quite a lot of it for something which was apparently in crucially short supply only fifteen minutes earlier and worth killing indiscriminately for.

This movie is ghastly.

Oh, and then there are zombies. Yes. of course there are the zombies. I'm going to train as an undertaker so that i can tie up the shoelaces of dead people. Then the Zombie Apocalypse will be hilarious.
5 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Awful Rubbish
automaticjack-100-74891815 November 2011
I must have watched a different film from some of the reviewers. This was awful. The acting was rubbish, the script seemed to be written by a child, the CGI was amateurish. In short, I couldn't find a single good thing to say about it. I can't even think of anything more to say in order to fill up the ten lines I'm supposed to fill up. Everything about the film was so bad that I'm guessing even the catering made the actors ill. Oh, the weapons wouldn't have stood up to any use either and the costumes were almost as bad as 1 Million Years BC (which I think someone else mentioned). So there we have it, no saving graces whatsoever except it probably paid for Sean Bean's new house extension.
5 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A hidden gem in a sea of dreck
Wuchakk29 September 2012
"The Lost Future" (2010) is definitive proof that TV films can rise to greatness. It's a sci-fi/adventure hybrid in the spirit of "Beneath the Planet of the Apes," but without the apes.

THE PLOT: In a post-apocalyptic world a small tribe of hunters & gatherers are forced to go beyond their normal hunting grounds to secure meat, which enables the "beasts" to find their village and attack. These "beasts" are actually diseased humans who are mad and zombie-like. Their disease spreads through bites, scratches or even breath. Three members of the tribe escape the siege in the hope of finding help from people outside their hunting grounds. They soon learn of a powder that can make them immune to the disease. Can they get the help they need and return to their besieged families before it's too late?

Although there are no apes, the similarities to "Beneath the Planet of the Apes" are obvious: Both films take place in post-apocalyptic societies, both feature people living in primitive conditions, both include human mutants, and both include hot cavebabes. The films differ in that their plots are totally different and "The Lost Future" has a lot more action; plus "The Lost future" – although completely serious – has a slightly more comic book vibe.

Some have compared "The Lost Future" to the Mad Max films but this isn't really true since there aren't any motorized vehicles or cops, not to mention it's more serious and all-around better IMHO.

Like the first two installments in the "Planet of the Apes" series and all great sci-fi films "The Lost Future" addresses important themes beyond the surface story. For instance, the downside of religion is addressed: Religionists tend to turn inward and stagnate in the name of conservatism, while truth-seekers look beyond the limiting parameters set by the religious rulers (a type of legalists, like the Pharisees and teachers of the law in the New Testament). The false doctrines and flawed mentalities of the religionists may temporarily keep the tribe (or church or denomination) safe but they're ultimately detrimental since only the truth can set free, as Jesus himself declared (John 8:31-32). This is just a taste; there's more subtext, like selfless sacrifice for the greater cause.

The protagonists are all likable and honorable with Sam Claflin standing out as Kaleb, an underdog who rises to the challenge. An interesting side note is that Caleb in the Bible, along with Joshua, were honored by God for having a "different spirit" – a spirit of faith. This is the only hope for Kaleb's tribe in the film – the wild, bold faith it takes to break free of the confines of the religionists to find the truth and freedom, for him and his people. Corey Sevier and Sean Bean also have important masculine roles.

The film features two outstanding women: The breathtaking Annabelle Wallis as Dorel, the main female protagonist, and the incredible Hannah Tointon as Giselle, who plays a significant role in the final act. Also worthy of mention is Eleanor Tomlinson as the precious Miru, Kaleb's sister who does her best to survive the cave-siege.

The film has a worthy villain with Jonathan Pienaar as the arrogant Gagen, who also doesn't appear until the last act. Since Gagen possesses the last of the immunization powder he also controls the remaining human populace. Unfortunately he's gotten used to his position of power and therefore isn't open to ideas that are for the greater good of humanity.

Another plus is the magnificent locations, shot in Capetown and Western Cape, South Africa, of all places. Outstanding job on this front. In addition, although this is a low-budget TV film the sets and CGI (like the giant sloth) are quite impressive.

At a lean 91 minutes the film has no fat.

FINAL SAY: The low-ratings by other reviewers are totally inexplicable. Don't believe them. "The Lost Future" is an excellent modern sci-fi adventure in the spirit of "Beneath the Planet of the Apes." Although made-for-TV, It's a hidden gem in a sea of cinematic dreck.

GRADE: A
6 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I was sad when Boromir was killed by orcs
dx_baby25 May 2017
Actually I was surprised that Legolas wasn't in this, he shows up in every Hobbit movie. At least Peter Jackson wasn't involved or this would have been 8 hours long. The acting is great for a SyFy movie. Just too many clichés to give it more than five out of ten. The animal fur clothes but perfect teeth and skin, the slo mo dying father, village elders who won't listen to new ideas, and lots of Orcs.
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A fun, imaginative romp that rocks.
udragon201019 November 2010
A stunning and creative fantasy movie set in the distant future where prehistoric beasts once again roam the wilderness and man has reverted back to a stone age society.

Sean Bean is excellent and the rest of the cast is surprisingly good compared to most other Sci Fi channel projects. The FX is top notch for a made for TV film and the plot is entertaining and keeps you hooked.

The use of many different genres of the post-apocalyptic fair will make any fan squeal with joy. Evil zombie like mutants prowl the forests and evil tyrants rule in the remains of our long dead civilization.

The use of how religion can be mans greatest Achilles heel is used very well in the opening half of the movie as our heroes tribe is attacked by a mutant horde. The elder convinces the survivors that reading and defending oneself is against gods will. It is a chilling depiction of what happens if man chooses to ignore his intelligence and chooses to follow someone else's interpretation of how to live.

Sean Bean is fantastic as a type of knight from an Arthurian like league of champions who must protect our heroes as they quest for a cure to the mutants bite.

This movie is one of the best films of the genre, a well rounded and well conceived look into a lost world of mans making.
9 out of 28 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Reasonable time filler
Stevieboy6662 May 2019
Set in the future a disease has wiped out most of mankind, with only pockets of well groomed, toned survivors living like civilised cavemen in the wild. There is a cure in the shape of a yellow powder so a quest is on to find it whilst battling mutants and baddies. As SyFy movies go this one was reasonably good, though that hardly says much.Shot in South Africa, the ever reliable Sean Bean gets top billing. The special effects and make up are good enough, something that cannot often be said for SyFy. Plenty of violence, though I saw it screened on afternoon TV, so it is not very graphic. Didn't go in with high expectations but turned out OK.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.