Harry Potter 20th Anniversary: Return to Hogwarts (2022) Poster

After all this time...
jamesjustice-921 January 2022
I never expected this semi-documentary to be so beautifully shot, so nostalgically precious and so emotionally involving but it turned out exactly like that. To see most of the main characters, including the legendary trio, back together again for a reunion was very heart-warming, like no time has passed at all since I left the movie theater after the premiere of Deathly Hallows Part II - when in reality it's been ten years. And since the beginning of this whole magical journey it's been even twenty years - wicked! I guess no matter how much I dislike the later movies and favor books over them I will ALWAYS cherish that cinematic world that was created for a youngster like me back in the days and for so many other kids from all of the generations ever since.
84 out of 103 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Hypocrisy of the highest order
atischoo4 January 2022
A bunch of people sitting around praising themselves at their performances in a franchise they were lucky enough to be cast in as kids..then turned around and bit the hand that fed them!

No problem if you want to criticise JK Rowling for her views that's your prerogative in a democracy, but to disown her AND still take the money & fame she made you...how shallow can you get?

By all means, if you feel that strongly, hand back all your earnings from the product of her genius...NO didn't think so!
56 out of 70 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
This is a joke
alek-mj-981 January 2022
This speical is a joke. You should learn something from Friends Speical, you can't make a reunion 20 years from the first movie, and 12 years from the last movie. Also, the most important thing, you MUST include the creator of Harry Potter, JK Rowling. It is absurd that she isn't in the special. She made this world, books and movies, she choose the cast, and she isn't invited. I don't care about her comments and views on certain things, but she is the creator of Harry Potter and she must have her respect.
40 out of 49 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
After all these years? Always.
i_odin1 January 2022
This Reunion is sort of testament to the fact that this world is going to stay forever etched into our memories. And I feel this is the perfect time to celebrate it because you never know how long these incredible people involved in the cast are going to stay with us and share their experiences. Some have already left and are dearly being missed.

This show is just meant to be an celebration of a milestone and a fan service. And that's what it is. Although i do miss few people. Maggie Smith, Michael Gambon and of course the JK Rowling.

It definitely brings back those memories of enjoying the movies growing up and coming of age along with the story.

Loved it.
81 out of 105 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Meh
argimlumani2 January 2022
If you've watched the special features on all the DVDs you'd still find out nothing new in this its actually shocking I thought at the end they were gonna get the actors and directors all together in the great hall and talk but no you just get little snippets of information nothing you haven't heard before and of course stock footage of jo Rowling from 2019 heck you could of used the stock footage for most everyone and it wouldn't have made a difference this was lacklustre.
53 out of 67 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Needed JK Rowling
rsallholbrow8 January 2022
The magical world of Harry Potter was the brain child of Rowling. Many of the entitled cast members who owe their fame and fortune to Rowling threw her under the bus to save themselves. This show needed her.
46 out of 58 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Too much Emma Watson
neginanvar6 January 2022
And no J. K. Rowling.

Puh-leease.

None of the cast would be anywhere without Rowling. Everyone knows that she was excluded because of her supposedly controversial opinions. How disgraceful to not include her.

Other than that, it was all nice, emotional, but felt rather contrived. Again, way too much Emma. Oh, and why is it okay to include Emma when she's free to voice her opinions everywhere, but not Rowling? It's a rhetorical question. I know the answer.
42 out of 53 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Where is J.K. Rowling?
marcin-294-1652118 January 2022
Where is J. K. Rowling?

Have any of you pointed out that there is no character without which you would not be able to do this series? Where is the author?

I know that stupidity and equality go hand in hand and the premeditation for freedom of speech and legal speech has omitted the most important person.

28 out of 34 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Gained fame and lost honor.
jeremyboiko4 January 2022
It is a pity that while making the film you forgot about a person without whom the whole story would not exist. It's a shame for the actors who gained fame and recognition thanks to JK Rowling. Shame.
28 out of 34 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
It could be 10 stars from me..
theshriketh2 January 2022
If J. K. Rowling was a special guest in it. But alas.. they just added archive video. She created this magic universe. She deserves more.

Actors and people who blamed her for her views, must be ashamed. They will regret in 15-20 years.
111 out of 150 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
THANK YOU HBO.
andrewchristianjr2 January 2022
Return to Hogwarts have never been as emotional as it was in this documentary. Thank you HBO Max for this, and let's go for another 20 more years. It was like watching the beginning and end of Harry Potter again. Butter sweet.
70 out of 92 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Missing some key people
cscanlan13913 January 2022
Missing many people. Maggie smith? Michael gambon? Timothy spall? Any other 100s of extras. Good. Could've been better. 2 hours of Emma Watson tearing up was a bit much.
25 out of 30 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Poor salute to J.K. Rowling
thurenhenrik4 January 2022
Not to understand why the writer J. K. Rowling not are part of this 20 year Anniversary.

Without J. K. Rowling there was no Harry Potter and no succes.

I really love all the movies, thankfully have read all the books. Thank you J. K. Rowling.
41 out of 52 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Could have been perfect...
deanbean3174 January 2022
The one thing that ruined this otherwise amazing reunion of the original Harry Potter cast, was the glaring omission of JK Rowling. It would be intellectual dishonesty of the highest order to say that she WAS included because of the clips inserted from a previous interview. This admission was made all the more glaring by the disclaimer in the upper right hand corner of the frame reminding viewers that JK Rowling's segments were recorded in 2019. I can see this as nothing more than another black listing by the LGBT Mafia who's power seems to be all encompassing in the entertainment industry worldwide. To leave out the very woman without whom none of this amazing world would have even existed, is a huge slap in the face to Potter fans everywhere!
82 out of 110 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
What masterpiece of hypocrisy!!!
purechritudo5 January 2022
I am a casual fan of HP!

Just don't understand why J. K. Rowling, the creator of the magical, could be cancelled from it! What a magical world we are living in!

There was no Harry Potter and no success without J. K. Rowling!

The emotions were unnatural!

What a hypocrisy!!!
42 out of 54 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Could have been much longer
javan2317 January 2022
Really enjoyed it! Sappy, but you know what I grew up with these movies and I was ready to have my heartstrings tugged. Great interview locations. Attention to detail etc. Would have maybe liked to see less splicing of conversations but sometimes it was necesarry for the way they broke up the various phases of the decade of filming. I wish each section was a 45 minute episode but that might just be the hardcore fan in me.

To the people saying it was good Rowling wasn't included more than she already was because she would have been "distracting" etc... you are nuts. She invented this world. They're talking about a series of films based on books she wrote. I dont give a damn what you think about her politics, they are her views and she is entitled to them. I think she should have had interactive interviews. Hundreds of people owe her for their careers.
7 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Sad
ciortanolga3 January 2022
It was an atmosphere of a fairytale, but their emotions were unnatural, especially Emma's. Rowling was missing, without her Harry Potter would be a big NOTHING. Many actors were not there. In general, I expected more from the anniversary video.
39 out of 51 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Disappointing
sine-a2 January 2022
I was so excited to watch this today and made homemade butterbeer for the occasion!

It started off promising enough with new footage of the actors getting Hogwarts letters and hopping on the train to school. Emma, Bonnie and Evanna embrace but then are never shown together again. Most of the runtime is taken up with clips of the movies and reiteration of stories already told. It seemed thrown together for a DVD 'additional features' section. I was expecting a reunion of a big group of the actors together, instead we got individual interviews. It felt like Emma Watson was deliberately getting the most airtime. I was hoping to see the whole Potter gang hanging out, reflecting, maybe doing table reads etc. But it felt pretty dull and flat. The one good thing was what Helena Bonham Carter brought to it. She seemed to understand what she was doing there!

No JK Rowling, Maggie Smith, Julie Walters, Michael Gambon and more.

Overall, it didn't meet my expectations and I felt it could have been executed a lot better. I wonder if they'll try again in another ten years? Sigh.
54 out of 73 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
EVERYTHING IS GREAT, BUT ONE THING
chernitca6 January 2022
Movie is great! This is really talented team produced such a beautiful film about our childhood or simply about better times, happiness and so on. Literally, thanks for your job...

But the problem is that some people gonna mad, thus they can't separate friends from opponents. To blame J. K. Rowling, moreover delete her from history is nonsense. All your franchise is nothing, but Rowling. Unfortunately, west people brains were overshadowed by the idea that it is necessary to please everyone: oblique, crooked, LGBT, airplanes, helicopters, etc. Capitalism has reached its apogee and everything that can somehow incur losses is alien to it. The idiotic habit of pleasing everyone forced not only not to support the writer and creator of the world, thanks to which movies exists, but also to blacken her name by opposing. Shame, guys, shame.
25 out of 32 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Disappointment
farel-590196 January 2022
Where are Joanne Rowling? She creaded Harry Potter! Why I must watch this film, when actors don't say and don't remember women, thanks to which, thay became popular and rich? This is disrespect for J. Roaling and the audience.
27 out of 35 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Alan Rickman?
kotza19921 January 2022
They give one of the greatest actors of all time who played one of most important character in the series like 10 seconds. Alan Rickman deserved much more time and attention than a brief comment from Emma Watson. Also too much behind the scenes and director chat... we needed more new stuff from the cast. Why get Gary oldman and Daniel to meet for 15 seconds of conversation? What a waste.
15 out of 18 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A well-crafted masterpiece of hypocrisy.
filipgenov4 January 2022
"We are family.." Seriously? :D Haven't seen such sugar-coated hypocrisy since my communist era childhood.

No carefully scripted sweetness can make it for the "family", in which the children have all so easy "cancelled" their mother.

To whom specifically the three main "kids" own EVERYTHING.

And who just wants to keep her motherhood from being "upgraded" to a lactationship.

Other then that - yes, the thing is sweet, and nice and all that.

But - "family" these artsy individuals are not.
24 out of 31 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Yes BUT
vallonella1 January 2022
As a fan I can't give less than 10, BUT! It was ricilous that Rowling did not get a big "chapter" in this show, just some comments..... And the whole film felt like a kind of Emma Show. She spoke the most. When Dan, Emma and Rupert are together, Rupert is mostly silent..... Felt like "Oh FRIENDS did this, then we can do it too", but the bigger part of this show was putting behind the scenes videos, premiers and interview together with little chatting about memories, less "fun facts" -but there was some! E.g. Helena still has Bellatrix's teeth -, it mostly did not contain any big news/secrets, that maybe shocks viewers/true fans did not know already.... So I'm a bit dissapointed, but it was good to be back in Hogwarts.
129 out of 195 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Surprisingly Endearing To Even The Simplest Potter Fans
zkonedog12 January 2022
I'm no Potter-head, so to speak, by any stretch of the imagination. I've read all the books once, watched all the movies once--and that's about it. As such, I'm often a bit overwhelmed or overmatched by some of the more intense Potter fandom properties. Fortunately, I found this 20th anniversary celebration to be perfectly calibrated to my sort of HP experience!

For a very basic overview, this special is equal parts nostalgic retrospection on clips from the films, and recent interviews with some of the main (most recognizable) cast members. The triumvirate of Daniel Radcliffe, Rupert Grint, & Emma Watson are the most frequent contributors, with Ralph Fiennes, Gary Oldman, Robbie Coltrane, Helena Bonham Carter, basically the entire "Weasley clan", and others popping by to chat about their experiences both on and off set during the making of the films.

Even as a more casual fan of the property, it is clear that Harry Potter books/films have had a tremendous impact on popular culture. In that sense--and along the lines of the Friends TV show reunion that drew up the template for this sort of thing--the actors and participants (and fans!) very much deserved this retrospective. In other words, it has the gravitas to pull it off.

It's obvious right away that Warner Brothers spared no expense when putting this together. The sets are immaculate (mirroring settings from the films) and the whole thing has an extremely high production value, from the clips to the interviews to the music and the voiceovers. First-class all the way.

The hallmarks of this reunion special, though, are the sometimes-emotional, sometimes-hilarious interviews! The leading trio have some wonderful moments together, but then each interact with others from the cast in unique ways. Moments with some of the films' directors are especially well-done in this respect. There were times I found myself belly-laughing; other times trying (and failing) to hold back tears.

The only notable absence here is original author J. K. Rowling, almost certainly due to her political spats of late. Though not present in the flesh (almost certainly a good thing if only for the distraction her presence would have caused), she is mentioned frequently and archived interviews seen numerous times. Rest assured, her presence was not entirely removed or anything like that. A good balance considering the circumstances.

Overall, I was a little worried about being overwhelmed by Potter minutiae from "Return to Hogwarts". But instead I found a delightfully entertaining little trip down memory lane, while at the same time catching up with the present-day actors/directors/filmmakers who made it all possible. Whether you are a novice Potter fan or can win HP trivia contests, I think you'll enjoy this!
11 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A fun, feel-good, teary-eyed throwback to the HP film series! [+80%]
arungeorge135 January 2022
This reunion show pretty much encapsulates everything we've loved about the magical world of Harry Potter. Through candid conversations and interviews featuring the franchise's brilliant ensemble cast and directors, the 1h 43m special is indeed a wholesome nostalgic treat. I've read all the books and watched all the films but never held the universe too close to my heart as many friends and peers did. That being said, I am a massive fan of the third installment (directed by Alfonso Cuaron) as well as the last one (directed by David Yates) - and I'm glad the show dug into the lesser-known details of both films. Azkaban took a pretty dark turn thematically and stylistically, and it was also when the child actors came of age. Deathly Hallows 2 was an absolute beast of a film, relentless in its action and gratifying in its emotional closure.

Since the show tackles events chronologically, the weepy finale was really no surprise. But it is such a joy to see the wonderful camaraderie between the actors who played characters we still adore and relate to on so many levels. The lead trio even happily admits that these films literally made them. The franchise saw the birth of several talents both on and behind the screen while offering seasoned performers unforgettable roles. After seeing this, I'd happily sign up to see something similar with the cast and crew of MCU's Avengers in the future. These pop-culture franchises will always occupy a distinct space in our heads!
11 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.