American Reunion (2012) Poster

The Best Since the Original
Michael_Elliott9 April 2012
American Reunion (2012)

*** (out of 4)

The fourth film in the series brings back all the major players from the first film for their 13th anniversary. Jim, Oz, Kevin, Finch and Stifler decide to have some fun during the reunion even if each one of them are facing dramas of being adults. It's really a shame that most people will probably stay away from this due to two weak sequels and a whole slew of direct- to-DVD cash ins because American REUNION is certainly the best film since the first and it's also one of the better "reunion" movies that has been made over the past few decades. I think the film made a good decision in not going for 100% gross-out humor like the two sequels and instead it tries to put in some characters just like the first movie. Needless to say but the entire cast fit back into their roles so perfectly that you don't have to worry about any weak performances. All of them do an extremely good job and especially Chris Klein who is back after missing the previous entry. Jason Biggs, Alyson Hannigan, Tara Reid, Thomas Ian Nicholas, Eddie Kaye Thomas and Seann William Scott are all perfect as well as are a few of the new people. I think the movie gets off to a somewhat shaky start but once everything dealing with the reunion kicks in we get some extremely good moments. Not all of the laughs are are loud as in the first movie but I think they're more natural and just around more fun. The entire film had a smile on my face and I thought there were some tender moments as well that worked out nicely. There's also some drama thrown in dealing with some of the characters disappointments in where they are in their lives but this here works very well. American REUNION still has plenty of raunchy sex and dirty jokes, which one has come to expect but like the first film this here also has a great and great character development. The movie is an extremely good one so hopefully people will give it a shot even if they were disappointed in the previous two sequels.
4 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Surprisingly sweet
Leofwine_draca5 April 2014
Although I hate the lowbrow comedy genre ever since its inception in the late 1990s with the likes of THERE'S SOMETHING ABOUT MARY and THE SPY WHO SHAGGED ME, for some reason I consider myself a fan of the American PIE franchise. This is the fourth in the series which takes the expected route of catching up with the characters as they deal with adulthood.

The story is surprisingly sweet and sentimental if you take out all of the puerile humour. Crucially, for fans of the series, the producers have managed to pretty much reunite the entire cast, including Chris Klein, who was missing from the last instalment as I recall. So watching these characters mingling again after all these years is a great deal of fun, and the camaraderie and humour that flows between them is pretty decent.

Yes, there are some obnoxious jokes here, and situations that scream facile; typically those involving Stifler. Nonetheless, Seann William Scott is undeniably charming in this part, and I notice that his character has deliberately softened a little, less jarring, more humane this time. The same goes with the others and I think that's why I like this series so much: despite the gross-outs, these films are all about warmth and friendship. American REUNION is a lot of fun.
1 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The Gang is Back
SnoopyStyle11 September 2013
This is the fourth installment of the American Pie series. The gang is back and that's half the battle. Almost everybody makes a cameo; the MILF guys, Stiffler's mom, Shermanator, and even Nadia. Jim and Michelle are knee deep in childcare, and their love-life is in a rut. Jim's mom has passed, and Jim's dad has trouble dealing with it. Oz is a big time sports TV commentator, and has a flirtatious girlfriend he doesn't trust. Kevin has become the Mrs of his home. Finch is mysterious with wild tall tales. Stifler is stuck in a lousy job living at home making all the effort to recreate his wild high school ways.

The gang's chemistry is back. It's great to see all the kids grow up and not grow up. The best part is the film's ability to incorporate all the franchise's history. And Jason Biggs shows the bits, somewhat squished.
0 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
It was worth the wait
kosmasp15 July 2012
The in-between movies didn't really do anything for any American Pie fan (talking about everything that was tagged with the American Pie title after the American Wedding aka Part 3), but this one will satisfy the fans of the original. Even though (or because) they have grown up, many will remember them. While I think it works for newer viewers (without previous knowledge of the original trilogy), I think the full viewing potential/pleasure will only emerge if you have seen the others too.

While I was a bit skeptical about the fact that Stifler (played exceptionally again by Sean William Scott), went "back" attitude wise in this one, it made more than sense and doesn't take anything away from his arc in Part 3. I would even say, his journey is fulfilled now for sure! The others have their problems too (even if some seem small in comparison to others) and they play it as straight as the first time. Many familiar faces will show up, even the ones who didn't have an actual character name in part 1. A nice touch.

The movie may be (largely) predictable, but apart from some major surprise towards the end, it is done with love by everyone involved and you can feel that through the screen. A really fitting end (?) to a series, that defined a generation of movie-goers
American Pie: Reunion
jboothmillard11 May 2012
It has been eleven years since the entire cast of the original film were last together, and nine years since the third official cinema film, followed by four straight to DVD spin-offs, so it was good to bring everyone again. Basically Jim Levenstein (Jason Biggs) and Michelle (Alyson Hannigan) are still married, but two year old son Evan (George Christopher Bianchi) around means their love making has dwindled, Chris 'Oz' Ostreicher (Chris Klein) is in Los Angeles with supermodel girlfriend Mia (Katrina Bowden) and is an NFL sportscaster, Kevin Myers (Thomas Ian Nicholas) has a beard and is an architect at home, married to Ellie (Charlene Amoia), Steve 'Stifmeister' Stifler (Seann William Scott) works at an investment firm, and Paul Finch (Eddie Kaye Thomas) just turns up. John - 'MILF' Guy #2 (John Cho) has organised a Class of 1999 High School Reunion party in East Great Falls, and soon enough the five friends are brought back together to relive old times. Returning home Jim's Dad, Noah (Eugene Levy) is a widower as his wife (Molly Cheek) died, and Jim recognises neighbour Kara (Ali Cobrin) who he used to babysit for, she is going to be eighteen very soon, and also at the bar the boys recognise former classmate and band camp member Selena (Dania Ramirez). With the boys reunited they go the beach, Oz reunites with former girlfriend Heather (Mena Suvari), who is dating heart surgeon Ron (Jay Harrington), and Kevin reconnects with former girlfriend Victoria 'Vicky' Lathum (Tara Reid). There is a confrontation with Kara's boyfriend AJ (Chuck Hittinger) and his friends, and Stifler gets revenge by defecating their beer cooler and destroys their jet skis. Night time and the boys stumble on a high school party, which turns out to be Kara's eighteenth birthday party, and when she gets intoxicated Jim drives her home, and being a virgin she tries to seduce him. Oz, Finch and Stifler come along to help him get drunk Kara back into her house without her parents, Mom (Kim Wall) and Dad (Stevie Ray Dallimore), noticing, and they distract them long enough to do it. Kevin wakes up the next day in Vicky's bed, he assumes they had sex, and later on Stifler arranges a high school party like he used, but being older all the guests have grown out of their old habits. Jim and Michelle attend the party hoping to reenact prom night, where they first had sex, and Jim's Dad is attending as well to get out and try to get over his grief depression, and he connects with Stifler's Mom (Jennifer Coolidge). Kevin offends Vicky when he assumes that they did have sex, Mia takes ecstasy and acts foolish while Oz has Ron humiliate him with the DVD of the dance show, Celebrity Dance-Off, and when Heather comforts her ex-boyfriend they reconnect and kiss, and she ends up in a fight with Mia. Jim and Michelle decide to dress and up and have role play sex, but Kara once again tries to seduce him, and AJ shows up to get his own back on the guys for the earlier incidents, this turns into a huge fight, ending with the police calming it down, and Finch arrested for the theft of a motorcycle. Mia breaks up with Oz, Stifler feels down and skips the reunion for work, and Michelle goes to her grandmother's while Jim and his Dad connect and talk about relationship stuff. The reunion party begins, Finch comes back having been bailed, and confesses his stories of travels are false, he is in fact working at Staples and stole the motorcycle after not getting a raise, but Stifler is missing, so all the boys go to get him. After some assuring words from his friends, Stifler finds the courage to stand up to his boss and quit his job, and they all go to the reunion, where old friends turn up, like Jessica (Natasha Lyonne) who is a lesbian, Nadia (Shannon Elizabeth) who has a new boyfriend, and Chuck 'Shermanator' Sherman (Chris Owen) who is still geeky and looking for love. Vicky and Kevin make up having established they didn't have sex, Finch is happy with Selena and can forget about Stifler's Mom, Heather dumps Ron and gets back together with Oz, and Jim and Michelle finally find the time to have good passionate sex together. At the party Stifler is asked by two former lacrosse players who are gay if he can plan their wedding, which he agrees, and he also gets to meet Finch's mother Rachel (The Hand That Rocks the Cradle's Rebecca De Mornay), and they have sex together on the field, with John and Justin - 'MILF' Guy #1 (Justin Isfeld) reunited and chanting their catchphrase. The next morning the boys gather at Dog Years, Kara apologises to Jim and agrees she will find the right person to lose her virginity with, Oz says he will stay and be happy with Heather, Finch plans a trip with Selena, Kevin can return to his wife, and Stifler plays coy about having sex with Finch's Mom, and they all toast to another reunion in the future. In the final bit we see Jim's Dad and Stifler's Mom together in the cinema, and after he puts his arm around her she smiles and gets down to give him a blowjob, his noises get everyone looking, and once he finishes he just says "great movie". Also starring Neil Patrick Harris as Celebrity Dance-Off Host and Chad Johnson. The cast may all be in their thirties now and not as youthful as before, but they are all still lovable characters and still bring their traits seen previously to the table. The story is simple enough, with just about enough sex, nudity, smut, crudeness and rudeness you would expect in the series, I will admit there were the small sequences of predictability and cheese, but there were funny moments, it is a good fun comedy. Worth watching!
1 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
After 13 years the kids are growing up, even Stifler!
TxMike16 August 2012
I am not really a fan of the "American Pie" movies, they are too juvenile and dirty most of the time, but there is this guilty-pleasure attraction. Maybe because it sometimes reminds me of a much milder time in my own life, high school in the 1960s.

Most of the actors are back ... Jason Biggs, Alyson Hannigan (my personal favorite, "This one time at band camp..."), Chris Klein, Thomas Ian Nicholas, Tara Reid, Seann William Scott, Mena Suvari... and a few others. Especy Eugene Levy as Jim's dad and Jennifer Coolidge as Stifler's mom.

In an uncredited role, Rebecca DeMornay, still looking good at 50, makes a quick appearance near the end as one of the kids' mom, and Stifler gets to experience his first time with a MILF on the lacrosse field.

The theme of this movie is a class reunion, after 13 years. Filmed completely in Atlanta, many of the old gang are married, many are not. There are no great revelations, but many changes.

It is not a movie to be recommended as a stand-alone viewing, but for those of us who have seen all the "American Pie" movies it can be fun. Even Nadia shows up near the end. Very briefly at an awkward time while Jim and Michelle are celebrating their marriage in the band room.

There is also a funny scene when the girl next door, that Jim used to babysit for, is turning 18 and wants Jim to "be her first."
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
American Reunion was another fun movie in the American Pie series
tavm14 April 2012
Having seen the previous American Pie movies when they were originally released and really enjoyed them, I definitely couldn't pass up the opportunity to watch this latest one. So yeah, I laughed just as much at this one as the others. I mean, all those memories of those previous ones were fondly recalled when certain scenes were mentioned especially Jim's initial encounter with a nude Nadia in the first one. But it wasn't only the gross out scenes or the ample nudity of certain actresses that was the attraction for me, it was also the heartwarming scenes between Jason Biggs and Eugene Levy as father and son that was also something worth seeing with, of course, the embarrassing way Levy brings certain subjects up that provide undercutting of humor to keep things from being too sentimental. Also welcome were the return of Alyson Hannigan as Jim's wife Michelle and especially Sean William Scott as the lovable obnoxious jerk Stifler. In summary, me and my movie theatre-working friend highly enjoyed revisiting old friends in American Reunion. Oh, and the cameo of a certain somebody involving a dance contest TV show was a real treat to me!
1 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Things aren't the same anymore
Gordon-1115 July 2012
This film is about the reunion of a group of best friends in high school, reliving the most awesome time of their lives.

"American Reunion" tries to re-enact the magic of the previous American Pie movies, but I am not sure if it succeeds. It brings back many characters and events of previous films, but it has been so long since the last one, that I don't remember the plethora of characters or I don't get the significance of the lines. Instead of the riotously funny and grossly irresponsible humour, "American Reunion" concentrates on less laugh out loud funny jokes related to married life. Things just aren't the same anymore as they were in high school, as the film says. And indeed, it has lost the spark compared to the previous American Pies.
0 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Yuck
bevo-136785 October 2020
Great art house movie with hilarious gags such as pooing in someone's esky (cooler)
Incredibly bad
grantss20 March 2020
Pretty juvenile, unoriginal and trite. But that describes all the American Pie movies...
2 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Seems like the series has lost their relevance and is simply being surpassed by other movies now days.
Boba_Fett11389 April 2012
Really, it's important to say that I actually was a big fan of all of the previous American Pie movies but this latest establishment did absolutely nothing for me!

The first "American Pie" movie, made back in 1999, was one that changed the genre, or at least sort of brought back the teenage sex comedies, by making it fun and daring again. The series, in my opinion, continued in good form, until this movie. Out of all the American Pie movies, this is the absolute most redundant and less innovative one.

It's maybe also partly because of it that ever since the first "American Pie" movie, tons of similar movies got made and the bar got actually raised- and the genre reinvented again by a couple of other genre movies. This movie does absolutely nothing to try to raise the bar again, or become a relevant movie within its genre. Or maybe I'm just getting too old for these sort of movies and type of comedies but I highly doubt that, since I actually do like to watch genre movies like this one, from time to time, such as most recently "Project X", for instance.

The main premise itself actually sounded quite good and promising; having a reunion with all of the characters from the first movie in it, 13 years after the first movie and 9 years after "American Wedding". But the thing is; the movie does absolutely nothing with its concept.

I don't feel that any the characters have progressed at all. They are still all the same and don't look to have matured very much. It would had been interesting to see how their lives progressed and eventually ended up all but the movie really doesn't know how to handle this. What's the point of having the characters look back, while they haven't changed one bit. It already makes the main idea and concept of the movie an incredibly flawed one but there are far more problems with this movie.

It just simply isn't a very well written or made movie. One of other problems with its story is that it wants to have far too many subplots in it. It also makes a movie called "American Reunion" shockingly little about an actual reunion. It doesn't even ever look or feel that some of these guys hadn't seen each other for years. It's just the same old, same old, with as a difference that we get to see a bunch of 30-year old's doing teenage stuff, which isn't all that compelling or tasteful, in my opinion. It certainly also makes the comedy of this movie more lacking as well.

And because the movie tries to focus on so many characters and their story lines, none of them ever work out well enough. The movie doesn't develop or resolve any of them properly or satisfying enough, while the movie obviously did had some good ideas in it.

Another thing with this movie is that you first need to have seen at least the very first movie. This is not a standalone movie. It very much is a sequel that relies a lot on it that its viewers are already familiar with all of the characters and what happened to them in the previous movies. It actually is important to watch the previous three movie, just prior to this one, or else you will miss a lot. Literally almost every character from the first "American Pie" movie pops up into this one, even if it's for just a couple of seconds. And even while I was a big fan of the first movies, I had absolutely no idea any more who all of these people were, or why they were relevant for this movie at all.

A disappointment really and that is coming from a person who loved the first American Pie movies!

7 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A familiar recipe
neil-4764 May 2012
This film brings back nearly all the original cast for a film which has almost no surprises - it is a smutty high school comedy, with the protagonists more than a decade older.

The story, such as it is, centres once more on the mishaps of Jim Levenstein - this time his intertwined problems are a) his tired sex life with Michelle and b) the attempts of 18 year old Kara next door who he used to babysit (the spectacularly constructed Ali Cobrin, who spends a gratifying amount of time half naked) to lose her virginity to him. But we see a fair amount of the others, Stifler is as crass and objectionable as ever, and there are a fair number of laughs (none of them subtle).

This film doesn't really add anything of any consequence, but the characters are still mostly decent people in whose company it is good to spend time.

And, as usual, Eugene Levy as Jim's Dad walks away with every scene he is in.
Crude, Boring and Overrated
Uriah4327 September 2019
This movie begins with a married man by the name of "Jim Levenstein" (Jason Biggs) and his wife of 5 years "Michelle" (Alyson Hannigan) essentially encountering a lull in their marriage due in large part to a baby which has taken a toll on their sex life. But Jim's life is about to get a bit more exciting when he not only agrees to rejoin some of his buddies at their 13th high school reunion but he also meets a young 18-year old girl by the name of "Cara" (Ali Cobrin) who he used to babysit many years earlier. Now rather than reveal any more I will just say that this film is basically one of many in the American Pie franchise which incorporates most of the same characters and adolescent humor. Admittedly, there are a couple of decent comedy scenes here and there along with some attractive women like Tara Reid (as "Vicky"), Katrina Bowden ("Mia"), Jennifer Coolidge ("Stiffler's Mom") and the aforementioned Ali Cobrin to enhance the scenery but other than that I found most of this film to be just crude and rather boring. That being said, I have rated it accordingly. Below average.
1 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Reunite With the Original.
anaconda-406582 June 2015
American Reunion (2012): Dir: Jon Hurwitz, Hayden Schlossberg / Cast: Jason Biggs, Alyson Hannigan, Chris Klein, Seann William Scott, Ali Cobrin: Dirty teen comedy franchise has ran its course with a reunion that seems to celebrate and reflect the crude level of humour. I enjoyed American Pie in its inventive take on familiar grounds. It was a film many teenagers can relate to, and even its crude humour had an element of surprise given the unique nature. Here we are thirteen years after the original, and while the entire cast return, it seems devoid of any new material outside from the usual level that streaked the two previous sequels. While screenplay and themes are pretty much as bare as Jim's naked ass, it does make a decent attempt to develop some of the characters. Jason Biggs returns as Jim, whose father is widowed and his sex life is devoid. Now he is faced with a possible fling with the girl next door whom he use to babysit. Chris Klein is dating a supermodel but struggles to live down being voted off a dance off, as well as his love for Heather. Seann William Scott as Stifler hasn't changed and will cling to immaturity until his vulgar charm wins you over. Many of the female roles are unwritten, especially Alyson Hannigan whose band camp girl grew up to marry Jim and have a bad sex life. Ali Cobrin plays Jim's neighbour whom he babysat when she was young. Now at eighteen they hook up and she soon bares all. I loved these characters in the original film but now the material has gone stale. While not quite as bad as previous sequels, the best reunion for viewers would be to reacquaint with the original film. Score: 3 ½ / 10
1 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Another slice? just the one please....
FlashCallahan11 July 2012
Over a decade has passed and the gang return to East Great Falls, for the weekend.

They discover how their lives have developed as they gather for their high school reunion.

Has life treated Michelle, Jim, Heather, Oz, Kevin, Vicky, Finch, Stifler, and Stifler's mom the same as it did back in 1999? In that summer, it was four boys on a quest to lose their virginity.

Now the girl Jim used to babysit is a cute high school senior looking for the perfect guy to lose her virginity to......

The first thing you do is marvel at how the film makers have got literally everyone back one more time. Then you realise that not everyone in the film has had much success since (William Scott is probably the most famous now) and then you realise how little a lot of the cast have screen time.

The film is about nostalgia, but the primary goal is to show the strain on Jim and Michelles marriage.

They go back to basics with the humour, and most of the time, the jokes fall sadly flat. It appears to be pretty mundane stuff, until the actual reunion happens in the final third, and it really makes up for the blandness of the first two acts.

Elizabeth, Reid, and the guy who plays Sherminator, didn't have to be in it, they bring nothing to the film apart from 'ooh look how different they look'.

But if the rest of the film were like the last act, it would have been a classic comedy.

The final act saves the movie, it will make you cheer, and even bring a tear to your eye.
A Nutshell Review: American Reunion
DICK STEEL5 April 2012
It was 1999 that American Pie launched what would be a series of teenage sex comedies, given a relatively cost effective formula loaded with nudity and toilet humour, that exploded at the box office and made everyone sit up to take note which of its cast members would go on to make it big. The film spawned two more films that would culminate in a wedding, before going direct to video in the many spin offs lie Band Camp, Naked Mile, Beta House and Book of Love that had very little links to the main characters. It's almost a decade already, and it's perhaps time to put those spin off films to rest, and bring back the original cast and their characters to the big screen in a logical reunion. And why not, given that the individual cast members never really made it to the big league, that coming together in a show of unity may rekindle memories of an audience who grew up with them from 1999's original, and in some ways provide one last shot in the arm for their individual careers.

And so it's a warm hello to old friends with whom we have last left off without much of a closure for all the characters, and like a real reunion, we discover just what our friends have been up to during the course of their absence in our lives. Some are successful, others not, and some are depending on what definition you're using. There's Jason Biggs as Jim Levenstein who's still married to Michelle (Alyson Hannigan) with a kid in tow and having trouble with their non-existent sex lives, Oz (Chris Klein) being a successful television sports anchor and celebrity with a model girlfriend (Katrina Bowden), Kevin (Thomas Ian Nicholas) who's also happily married but dreading a very routine lifestyle filled with TV and more TV, who would have thought Finch (Eddie Kaye Thomas) being very much of an all round adventurer, and Stifler (Seann William Scott) the jock who, well, according to unwritten rules, finds himself in between jobs, getting really nowhere in his career, and still bearing a grudge towards Finch for nailing Stifler's Mom (Jennifer Coolidge).

Some things never change too, as we usually find out during meet ups with old friends, old flames and once rivals, that when we rekindle the past, we'll at times tangent into the what ifs. And there are plenty of such situations that make up the narrative of Reunion, with Jim having to fend off the advances of his neighbour Kara (Ali Cobrin), whom he babysat a long time back and is now a nubile 18 year old eager to lose her virginity to Jim, and both Oz and Kevin discovering old feelings with their exes Heather (Mena Suvari) and Vicky (Tara Reid). Stifler faces challenges at work especially that threatens to cancel his attendance at the school reunion ball, while Finch seems to get onto a real relationship with Selena (Dania Ramirez).

There's also the return of the evergreen favourite, Jim's dad (Eugene Levy), now a widower but still finding time to talk about sexuality very openly to an always embarrassed Jim, and that of a slew of supporting characters from the earlier films that I will not name to contain the surprise. But it's a full reunion as the filmmakers pulled out all the stops in order to make sure of a proper representation rather than a half-hearted event, in order not to short change the audience. And surprisingly though that directors Jon Hurwitz and Hayden Schlossberg seemed to have restrained themselves a lot from their Harold and Kumar days, and like touching a holy grail of teenage sex comedies, treated the material and characters here with a lot of respect rather than going for the jugular because getting the team back together again with a valid excuse will seem like a long way ahead.

But when the jokes came, they came fast and furious since we have Stifler in the party and ensuring that his posse of friends get the best deal out of their short weekend stay in town, and this balances out with more dramatic moments which can be seen coming from a mile away. Stifler's party forms the centerpiece where the you-know-what hits the fan, and for all the amount of nudity in the earlier movies, American Reunion would win for being the tamest of the lot, toning blatant nudity down by a lot of notches, and keeping things in relative PG mode as the narrative chugged along drama rather than comedy, for the most parts of the second half anyway.

The first American Pie film garnered an R21 rating here, and this one, although having full front male genitalia on display, male on male kissing, the requisite foul language and subject matter that will earn it an R21 easily, its M18 rating perhaps also reflected a relatively loosening of ratings here in Singapore, although this remains to be seen whether one off, or gets sustained and gradually loosened up even more as time goes by. Still, American Reunion, whatever the rating, is definitely for franchise fans (whether considering the direct to video titles or not), and I really enjoyed how it went full circle in the group's reunion in their final scene together. If you're a fan, then what are you waiting for?
41 out of 62 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A good concept that was done right
siderite21 July 2012
This is a true sequel: it expands on a previous story and makes it better. American Pie was never a great film and the many reincarnations of the same story did not do it good, but American Reunion almost fixes everything, giving it a true human dimension. In my opinion, it is this film that makes American Pie a classic. I just hope they don't turn it into another franchise. Let it rest, people! You got it right, don't mess with it.

Other than that, the same crazy antics, part felony, part madness and the same awkward situations, but with a more adult touch. Everybody is married, with children, but at heart, they are still kids. That is what this film is all about.
35 out of 42 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A Funny Reunion!
namashi_119 May 2013
The fourth installment in the American Pie theatrical series, 'American Reunion' is indeed A Funny Reunion! High on laughs & gags, this 2012 Box-Office Blockbuster is surely worth watching!

'American Reunion' Synopsis: Jim, Michelle, Stifler, and their friends reunite in East Great Falls, Michigan for their high school reunion.

'American Reunion' begins & ends, smoothly. Its got the attitude, the rudeness & the vulgarity, the American Pie movies are known for. Even the clever one-liners are damn good. Jon Hurwitz & Hayden Schlossberg's Screenplay is adult-rated & hard-core. Their Direction, on the other-hand, is decent.

Performance-Wise: Seann William Scott is awesome. Once again, he steals the show! Jason Biggs is very much in the mood, while Chris Klein, Eddie Kaye Thomas & Thomas Ian Nicholas are wild. Alyson Hannigan, Tara Reid & Mena Suvari are efficient. Eugene Levy is fantastic.

On the whole, 'American Reunion' is certainly a delight.
4 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Nostalgic Not So much
jdesando6 April 2012
The road from high school graduation in 1999's American Pie to the current American Reunion is a passage into adulthood sometimes humorous, at times depressing, and almost always melancholic. The old gang, well, it isn't what it used to be no matter how hard they try to recapture the zany abandon of their younger days.

In American Reunion, Jim, Michelle, Oz, and Heather have matured into harried if not terribly deep young adults. The reunion is a comedic way of depicting the maturation of most players from Pie, except Stifler, who remains the essence of their callow former life.

If all this seems a bit heavy for a comedy, it ought to be because their shedding the vestiges of irresponsibility is not only clichéd but also barely funny. Maybe that's why Jim's Dad (played deftly by Eugene Levy) is frequently funnier than the younger folk. He combines the sadness of loss (he's a widow) with the youthfulness of discovery, connecting with Stifler's mom , and the wisdom of accepting the limitations growing up imposes.

American Reunion devolves into the usual male fantasy of escape from responsibility leading to a self awareness that frequently ends them up with their true love, eschewing the temptations that have plagued males since Odysseus tried to get home. All this is to say it's not terribly funny, especially because fellatio seems to be the dominant motif followed by involuntarily being tangled up with a siren who threatens your first and maybe only love.

American Reunion is in the end bounded by an eternal optimism about sex and its ability to solve problems as well, of course, as cause them. As a commentary on the rite of passage to responsible adulthood, American Reunion is only partially successful; as a competitor to Hangover type films, it's behind the times.
2 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A refreshing slice of reassurance
StevePulaski7 April 2012
It's hard to believe it has been thirteen years since lovable characters like Jim, Oz, Kevin, and Finch were desperately trying to lose their virginity before Senior year ended. We followed these guys around for pre-graduation fun in American Pie, vacationed at a beach house in American Pie 2, and when our lead character Jim got married in American Wedding. We then endured four relentlessly incompetent and immature spinoffs that were not only banking on the name, but sticking in names like "Matt Stifler" in a desperate attempt to link them with the original trilogy. I began to believe never again would I give another American Pie film a positive rating. Then along came a reunion.

Some would say that a reunion with characters we met only a mere thirteen years ago isn't necessary. I believe it was immensely necessary. We were stuffed with dry, tasteless spinoffs of the franchise from 2005 through 2011, and I believe, many teens discovered those films oblivious to the original trilogy. It was a treat to see these characters come back for one last time, providing much deserved laughs after an endless sea of monotony and nihilism.

If that's what you want, American Reunion delivers. The story is simplicity itself, much like the three previous films. After a high school reunion is planned, the East Great Falls class of '99 returns to their hometown to see what has changed, what hasn't, and to meet up with the friends they have somewhat lost contact with. Jim (Biggs) is still married to the beautiful Michelle (Hannigan), now with a two year old child, but their sex life has gone south. If you've seen the first three movies, you automatically know how this one will open.

Oz (Klein), who was wholly absent from American Wedding, has become a sportscaster with a very beautiful girlfriend. Yet it is inevitable he will collide with Heather (Suvari), the "choir chick" whom taught him to be more sensitive. Kevin (Nicholas) returns, married and victim to consistent reality shows, and Finch (Thomas) has proved himself to be successful, traveling across the world, yet stuck in a rut when it comes to relationships. But let's not forget Stifler (Scott), and no, he hasn't settled down.

Again, one of the funniest characters in the film is Jim's forgiving father, played by Eugene Levy. After his mother's tragic passing, he can see that his father's life is now noticeably vacant. Jim has the idea that in order to meet more women, his father must create a dating profile. The idea could've sparked an untold amount of awkwardness and anxiety, but it seems the idea was abandoned on arrival. Still, we get plenty of healthy laughs when the iconic mom of Stifler (Coolidge) comes into play.

In one of the countless subplots in the film, Jim reconnects with a girl he used to babysit, named Kara, played by the beautiful and talented Ali Cobrin. Now that she's turning eighteen, she's looking for the perfect guy to lose her virginity to, and Jim came along at the right time. Ali Cobrin played in a Television series called Look, a devilishly entertaining show that centered around a number of people, whose lives with intertwined with each other. The trick was the show was all shot with surveillance footage. It's nice to see Cobrin's full acting talents come forth in a mainstream film. It's also nice to see variety and even this late in the characters' lives, they are still meeting new people. They aren't confined to the same old friends.

Directors/screenwriters Jon Hurwitz and Hayden Schlossberg, the writers for the three Harold and Kumar films, definitely have knowledge and respect for the original Pie trilogy. This is the first real film of the series not to be written by Adam Herz, whom created this lovable band of characters. The writing still mixes shameless raunchiness with heart and depth to its humor, but its main reliance is on nostalgia.

It seems every few minutes, a character is referencing past events from the first three films. This makes me skeptical if a person going into this without the knowledge of the previous three will understand where a lot of the humor derives from. I'm glad I revisited the original trilogy a week or so before seeing this, so I was fully prepared.

American Reunion is a wonderful revival to a series that needed one. Its script, though written by different people, captures the energy and fun nicely, the actors all remember how to portray their characters and hit the right notes, the characters themselves still resemble those of a sitcom, who we still look forward to seeing every now and then, and every one of them, including some surprise cameos, gets their own time to shine. It is a bit sad to see one character literally just get a minute of screen time, cough, cough the underrated Natasha Lyonne, but after a seemingly empty Wedding, it is nice to see the original gang at least make some sort of an appearance. After three healthy slices and four rotten ones, we come across a slice that is reassuring and refreshing. Something I never thought I'd say.

NOTE: If I were you, I'd sit through the credits. Not only is there an additional scene moments after the film ends, but the film's credits carry on with scenes from the original trilogy and the fourth one we just watched. It's like watching old memories with friends that you haven't seen for so long. Wholesomeness is the word.

Starring: Jason Biggs, Alyson Hannigan, Chris Klein, Thomas Ian Nicholas, Eddie Kaye Thomas, Tara Reid, Seann William Scott, Mena Suvari, Natasha Lyonne, Eugene Levy, and Jennifer Coolidge. Directed by: Jon Hurwitz and Hayden Schlossberg.
1 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Check it out, vagina shark
tieman6415 May 2012
"American Reunion" is a generic teen sex comedy. Its cast members all look like they're about to hit 40. Throughout the film they deal with such BIG ISSUES as INFIDELITY, THE LOSS OF A LOVED ONE, MIDLIFE CRISES and MISCONTRUED BLOWJOBS. The film mostly covers the same ground as its predecessors – lots of cringe comedy, sex gags, vulgar humor for the guys, romantic drama for the gals – but then develops a sub-plot which pays tribute to everybody's favourite character, Steve Stifler. Stifler's the Id unleashed, without the slightest care for social norms. He's an archetype that's singlehandedly kept this genre alive, the R rated version of him existing as far back as "Animal House" and Sean Penn's character in "Fast Times at Ridgemont High", the grand-daddies of R rated teen sex comedies.

The film is mostly poor, but has a sense of camaraderie which sets it apart from its ilk. Outside of Stifler, the best character is perhaps Paul Finch. Everyone knows a guy like Finch, the loner who always seems to be absent, seemingly living out some dark and cryptic fantasy life, which may or may not involve lots and lots of sex, adventure, money and drugs. Turns out, at least according to this film, that Finch is having a lot less fun than you'd think. That is itself the larger point of "Reunion". The grass is never greener on the other side, adulthood is dull and reality bites, so cherish your buddies, even if they occasionally sleep with your mom. Cute.

7.5/10 – Worth one viewing.
American Reunion
lasttimeisaw7 April 2012
Nearly a decade later, this orthodox fourth installment of American PIE shuffles along with a reunion gimmick which encompasses almost exactly the same gags and repellent discomforts as in its groundbreaking first episode came around 1997, which makes one wonder the audience's laughing threshold is still on the par with the level 15 years ago.

There are ample laughters from A to Z, no one-liner or wisecrack, mainly generated by risqué pranks and lecherous sex-related pratfalls. I cannot deny that I had a great laughter while committing to the moment, but a post-mortem self-reflection does leave no trace of anything is worth chewing.

The entire cast has returned with new blood like Ali Cobrin, Katrina Bowden and Jay Harrington, but the highlights belong to doyens like Levy and Coolidge, also Rebecca De Mornay's surprisingly laughter-burst cameo is right on time.

Clearly boys are aging much well than their counterpart girl mates, which means both physical and psychological age, and there will always be a copious supply of luscious high school hotties coming on their way for straight horny males, while 30-ish girls/women could only be sidelined as wallflowers unless you're Mornay or Coolidge, whose cups of tea are beyond one's average nous (toy boy and widower respectively).

Along with the trends of HANGOVER series and Judd Apatow era, American REUNION is retrospectively profitable with its core audience's maturation, and if the future projects will keep the same pace, once in a decade, this franchise may thrive well as long as it will connect with the pulse of its generation.
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
If you're a fan of the series it doesn't matter if everything the characters do is that funny anymore, they're still family!
Hellmant17 May 2012
'AMERICAN REUNION': Three and a Half Stars (Out of Five)

13 years after the original smash hit Jason Biggs, Sean William Scott, Eddie Kay Thomas and the rest of the gang are back for this reunion sequel. It's the seventh sequel but only the third featuring all of the original cast. This one was written and directed by Jon Hurwitz and Hayden Schlossberg; the team that created 'Harold and Kumar' and these films have all featured John Cho (Harold). This one tells the story of Jim, Stifler and the rest of the gang all meeting back up for their ten-year high school reunion. They of course get involved in several crude antics. The film is very hit and miss for laughs but if you're a fan of the series you'll probably be happy to see the gang all back together for the most part.

Jim (Biggs) and Michelle (Alyson Hannigan) Levenstein are now married with a kid. Their sex life has died off and both have turned to self pleasuring. They decide to go back to East Great Falls, Michigan for their ten-year reunion and stay with Jim's dad (Eugene Levy, who's the only one to appear in all eight films), who's now a widower. The tables have turned and it's now Jim giving his father sex advice and encouraging him to get back out there and meet a woman. Jim's friends Oz (Chris Klein), Kevin (Thomas Ian Nichols), Finch (Thomas) and Stifler (Scott) all have problems of their own as each tries to recapture their youth and find happiness again. For Jim it's all about reconnecting with his wife, which becomes especially difficult when the neighbor girl (Ali Cobrin), he used to babysit as a kid, comes on to him and wants him to take her virginity.

The movie is hilarious at times and falls pretty flat at others. There are definitely moments when it feels like the filmmakers and cast are trying just a little too hard but the characters are so likable that it doesn't matter. If you're a fan of the series they're like a family that's nice to see again so it doesn't matter if everything they do is that funny anymore, they're still family. Stifler makes the movie once again but all of the characters are nicely developed. It's definitely got a good nostalgic feel to it and while it may not live up to the original, or even the first two sequels, it's still nice to see the gang all back together again. Like 'SCREAM 4' (a similar reunion film) the film disappointed a little at the American box-office but it did kill overseas (which is a little surprising that 'AMERICAN PIE' is more popular outside of America). True fans of the original and the series should be delighted despite it's flaws.

Watch our movie review show 'MOVIE TALK' at: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AhcS7Q-CkYE
0 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
See You at the 13-Year-Reunion!
thesar-26 January 2013
Okay, forget that enormous plot-hole of a 13-Year-High-School-Reunion; American Reunion is a fabulous and fraking hilarious romp.

Picture it: 1999. I saw the original American Pie in the theatre and laughed so hard throughout with the packed audience. When I saw it again on video (yeah, it was called video back then when it was released on, more accurately, "home video,") I didn't laugh so much, but I did appreciate it. And then came the sequels.

Part 2 was awful. Part 3, or Wedding, was painful. Skipping over the spin offs, à la this generation's National Lampoon's, I kinda felt they were going to do right with the Reunion. And I was so much pleased.

From what I can recall, it's been a very long time since I've seen an "American" film that enormously captured the magic, humor, heart, depth and joy the original produced within me. In fact, I would match this completely in line with the original in quality and entertainment.

Jim, Jim's Dad and virtually every other living cast member of the original American Pie romp reunite in their small town of East Great Falls, MI, for a bit of partying, learning, growing and sexing.

There's no real deep meaning here; this is strictly comedy with a tiny touch of reality. It's not meant to be taken seriously. It's more meant for my generation to see where our lives are really going and to laugh along with people seeing what we see. I do see what they see and even though I am actually much older, I still can relate.

Scream 4 came out in 2011 and while the original Scream was made a few years before American Pie's pilot, I kinda grew up with both. It was nice to see a "Part IV" for both series I've spent years with, although, this is the one I really think captured the original heart of what I felt more than a decade ago.

Way to go guys. And thanks, finally, for the full-frontal male nudity. About time!
No one does raunchy better...and they prove it 13 years later
Robert_duder5 September 2012
American Pie proved that the raunch comedies which are common place now can actually be funny, have heart and characters and story. I hate the stupid raunchy comedies now that just aim to shock you into laughing. American Pie was great because it dealt with coming of age angst, ridiculous over the top scenarios that just horrified you and best friends. The entire cast just worked so well together and it was just a dream come true to have them all come back together. It is the perfect reunion. It still deals with coming of age in an essence, life, moving on, old friends and getting older. It was the perfect follow up for people my age who were American Pie age throughout the series. There are plenty of shocking outrageous and gross moments but through it all there is such a huge amount of heart and story and friendship that it actually makes you nostalgic. You just relate so well to the characters and every entry in the series including this one make you feel just like you're part of the gang. I consider American Wedding the only entry in the theatrically released Pie movies that wasn't up to par but Reunion was probably as good as the first.

What can you say about this cast? Jason Biggs is still outrageously and perfectly awkward as Jim. Chris Klein gives his best performance as Oz to date, its far less rigid and more human than previous films. Thomas Ian Nicholas and Eddie Kaye Thomas are back in full form as Kevin and Finch. Alyson Hannigan, who has come such a long way as a character in this series, is just excellent as Michelle. She really encompasses growing up for a woman and motherhood and being a wife. Tara Reid and Mena Suvari also return but on a smaller almost cameo like extent. Eugene Levy, of course, who gained cult status as "Jim's Dad" is just brilliant. He shows a whole different side of "coming of age" as he tries to deal with moving on from the loss of his wife. This turn for his character is just fantastic. You won't miss a single person from the original two films as everyone has a cameo including Jennifer Coolidge, John Cho, Natasha Lyonne and more. And last but certainly not least is Sean William Scott as the vivacious and never ending Stifler. In previous instalments they almost overused him constantly. His wild outrageous and downright raunchy talk and actions make him hilarious but dangerously overused. However, I thought they did a great job at keeping him just where he needed to be and even giving him a little bit of a heartfelt storyline at the same time.

This cast works so well together that you won't even believe that its been 13 years since the first film. It is literally like a group of best friends that never left each others side. Bravo to Harold and Kumar writers, creators and directors Hayden Schlossberg and Jon Hurwitz who know how to have a good time but best of all they kept everything we loved about American Pie in tact and alive. If you've ever seen the first one or two or any of the films and hated them then I promise you, you will hate this one because this is exactly what American Pie was meant to be. Fans of the other films will love every minute of this fantastic reunion with the old gang. 8.5/10
2 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.