One for the Money (2012) Poster

Meets Moderate Expectations
anarresa28 January 2012
The current score of this movie is 4 and unless you are a devoted fan of the books that's harsh. If you are in love with the twenty or so books you must have known less than two hours worth of movie will never compare, ever. I sympathize, beloved books are difficult to put on film, but this was actually rather amusing. On par with most romantic comedies and even better than some. It's not actually a romantic comedy though, an outlandish-girly-action-mystery-comedy is a more accurate description. The previews are representative of the film.

I will say the PG-13 rating was forced, mostly in the "language" category. Cable TV after 10 pm has more bite. An R rating with a few swearing felons would have been a bit more realistic, especially since the sexual situations are more than a 13-year-old should be watching and the storyline definitely adult. The writers must have sacrificed 10 swears for 3 bras and a shower curtain or something equally un-creative.

The comedy was there, sexual and self-deprecating and physical as advertised. On opening weekend (with the $6 groupon) the theater was full and the audience was seated throughout and laughing regularly.

Eavesdropping, the book fans were a little disappointed but mostly because they know so much more about the characters at this point. They wanted more Lula and Grandma and quirky little side scenes they remembered from the novel. Katherine Heigl was not loved as Stephanie Plum, but not hated enough to curse. Expectations were met.

I will agree it wasn't worth $11.25, but a lot of movies aren't. As a matinée or a DVD, go for it.
56 out of 69 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Surprisingly enjoyable despite itself
stills-615 June 2012
Very enjoyable light entertainment. A crime story that revolves around a clueless but persistent woman. The crime itself isn't all that important, and the focus is not on the narrative drive forward (which is good because it's kinda predictable). The focus is instead on the character of the female lead. Oddly, it's not about her growing as a character, or even about her getting more and more confident about her chosen line of work. It's not even about proving herself to everyone that she is capable.

The story is about persistence, about how this character is somehow ideally suited for this situation, but just lacks the knowledge to be truly successful.

If this wasn't such a light and airy movie, I would suspect that it was a metaphor for living in the age of the Internet, where knowledge is a commodity and anyone who has access to specific areas of knowledge can be an expert. Alas, it's a little less than that.

Unfortunately for the movie, the lack of character depth and the cumbersome box-like production make it seem very TV-ish. Like this was the pilot episode of a series. It also suffers from useless-narrator syndrome. I didn't read the book, but I suspect the source material may share some of the blame for that via lazy exposition.

Speaking from a guy's point of view about what is essentially a chick movie, it doesn't hurt that Heigl is hot, has a nice smile, and can handle a gun. And is a pretty good actress, sure, yeah... that. The casting could have been a lot worse. I would watch Heigl in just about anything if she stayed brunette.
15 out of 17 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Some fun quirks and unpredictable points of view
ladyokey27 January 2012
This adaptation of Janet Evanivich's book is well done and a lot of fun. Katherine Heigl is excellent in the role of Stephanie Plum. Apparently the author considered Katherine perfect for this role after seeing her in another movie. I'm so glad it was directed by a woman and combines the chick flick aspect with the mystery/bounty hunter storyline. Women's dates will be well rewarded, by Heigl's charm and beauty, for being along for the ride.

Heigl proves again what she showed in her television work in Grey's Anatomy and Roswell, that she's an excellent and versatile actress. She displays the vulnerability combined with toughness and a certain likable gullibility that are exactly as the book portrays the main character.

The movie is only 91 minutes long. Since the book and the movie depend more on the fun of getting to know the characters, including the first-person narrator, Stephanie Plum, it would have been so easy, and would have made it much better IMO, to include more scenes with the family, especially Grandma Mazur (Debbie Reynolds!), and with Lula (Sherri Shepherd is also wonderful). As it is, the "action" plot takes over in the second half, and it left me wishing for more of the fun character interactions.

Plum, Morelli and Ranger are really well portrayed and quite a lot like I imagined them while reading the book. This is light entertainment with a few quirks and unpredictable points of view, like the book, and overall a very enjoyable hour and a half.
74 out of 109 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I wanted to love One for the Money...I really did.
iheart_ny28 January 2012
I wanted to love "One for the Money", and I should have. It had fantastic source material, a writer from one of my favorite shows ("Nurse Jackie"), and an actress from what used to be one of my favorite shows ("Grey's Anatomy"), but this film could not have been any more disastrous. There was a movie that I hated a few years ago called "The Bounty Hunter", with Jennifer Aniston and Gerard Butler. I felt like that film was as contrived as could be, and was unfunny, unromantic and incredibly unconvincing. I hate to say that "One for the Money fell into that same ball park.

One of the reasons why I love the book, "One for the Money", by Janet Evanovich is because its heart, Stephanie Plum was an unapologetic badass, profane and saucy. I always pictured someone like Sandra Bullock playing the lead role, a born-and-raised Jersey girl who was down on her luck, who finds her inner badass through a series of misadventures, but ultimately comes out on top in the end.

I don't necessarily blame Katherine Heigl for ruining this movie. She did the best she could, even though her Jersey accent is laughably bad. She was simply miscast. She should have never discontinued her work on "Grey's Anatomy, because if these are the kinds of roles she's getting, her future's only going to get worse.

Julie Ann Robinson ("The Last Song") directed, who I blame for the movie's obviously unclear vision. You get the idea that she didn't know what she wanted this movie to be. Maybe she thought that after all of the books that had been written, fans don't remember the first chapter of the franchise. Did she and the rest of the filmmakers intend this to be a film franchise as well? You get the idea that no one really cared, given the film's messy ending and sitcom-y writing.

Liz Brixius (Nurse Jackie), Karen McCullah Lutz (Legally Blonde) and Kristen Smith (The Ugly Truth) are responsible for the travesty of a screenplay. Women ARE funny. There have been so many funny and smart movies that had primarily female writers, actors and directors, so why does this film seem misogynist? It's a mixed message, and an implication that I really don't like. Their version of Stephanie Plum is an idiot. She's not a saucy badass, like the one I loved in the books. Her profanity is turned down, too, because of the meaningless desire that the filmmakers must have had to get a PG-13 rating. Why would kids want to see this movie? Oh, of course...Katherine Heigl's inevitable "sideboob".

I enjoy the work of Liz Brixius, considering that she is the creator of one of my favorite shows, "Nurse Jackie". She has shown over the years that she knows how to properly illustrate complicated characters. She is not beyond character development, and making characters fully realized...so what went wrong here? Why didn't she scream at the other two writers, "what the hell are you doing?!"

I can only imagine how bad true fans of the books felt about this travesty. There are eighteen Stephanie Plum novels, plus short stories, novellas and crossovers. People clearly like this character, and there have got to be a bunch of true fans out there. The first book was written in 1994, and there was talk of a movie then. It had been in development hell since then, and it's a shame to say that it probably should have stayed there.

Grade: D-
72 out of 113 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Cute, funny and sexy
vanessamanis-533494 January 2019
I don't understand the bad reviews because i loved this movie. Light, fun and witty. People are so overloaded with cgi that a simple movie is too boring and they can't get through it without their fidget spinners
4 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
two for the dough
thisanant23 January 2018
I try to watch Katherine Heigl's movies so that was my first reason and I love comedies . this is pretty funny movie , fully focused on Heigl , simple story , some mystery and nice looking settings .
4 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not One For My Money
harold_a_shaver28 January 2012
This movie was partially filmed in my home town so there was a natural curiosity to see the finished product after watching portions of the filming.

I am going to try and give a basic review without adding spoilers for those who have followed the book series or my fellow neighbors that will be compelled to see this film.

There was a lot of potential with the story line. The acting by Debbie Reynolds and the street-walkers were the acting highlights. The lead actress (Heigl) was disconnected from the role, the lead male(O'Mara) was not utilized fully by the director? screen play?. The villains non-threatening and lacking ( John Leguizamo could have made a much needed positive impact on the film if they would have actually given him more than two scenes).

Overall the movie misses in the following ways: 1) Heigl was not convincing in the lead role. She was flat and failed to develop any interest or depth in character. 2) The plot was so predictable it was not even deserving of a place on a Made FOR TV line schedule. 3) I did not care for any of the characters nor the entanglements they were in.

The plus side:

1) Debbie Reynolds was great! 2) Sherri Sheperd ....great!

I would wait for this film to come to late night television so you could at least enjoy those extended length infomercials between bits of the movie.
25 out of 38 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Very well done
sirmatthewgrizzo27 January 2012
I just saw the movie. I admit, I do not go to the movie theatre very often, but this was worth the money. It is a soft comedy movie and I thought both the script and the delivery were performed very well. My wife (who read the book series) thought that Carlos (the ranger) should have been hotter. I thought he delivered the role convincingly. If you are expecting a Bruce Willis action flick-this is not it. If you are expecting Jenna Elfman, you will be out of luck. Kathrine played it straight and to the point. The pace was rapid and the scenes were captured realistically (good editing.) The events in the movie are engineered to appeal to the ladies. It did. My wife really liked the film. I admit, I enjoyed it. I would recommend this film.

Congratulations to the cast and crew. This film is one in the win column and will no doubt be shown repeatedly on TV in the future with audiences taking time to watch it again and again.

Regards, Matt
57 out of 96 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Loved it!
medmastersb2 July 2014
Well done, well paced. Read all of the books. Really glad to see it brought to life. The only problem was with "Grandma" who was too young and not eccentric enough and too glamorous. Everybody has character anticipation when the book moves to the screen. Katherine Heigl was perfect for the part. The movie flowed and hung together. The characters were funny and unique, easily likable and memorable. There was chemistry between the characters, that was obvious. Compared to the long list of throw-away movies flooding the market these days, it was like a breath of fresh air. I always like movies about Jersey, and this one a great one. It didn't take itself too seriously, and portrayed the area, the accents, the locals the eccentricity to a tee. An easy movie to watch and enjoy.
8 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Liked it, but could have been better.
lee_stipe31 January 2012
As a fan of the book series, I was slightly disappointed with the movie. I liked it a lot, but felt they didn't do all the characters justice. Steph was fine, quite a bit better than I was expecting from Katherine. Joe was very good, liked him a lot. Vinny was better than I thought that actor would be, even though it is funny that I had thought of Fisher Stevens for Vinny, and what do you know, he is in the film as another character. Connie was good, Lula was good, Steph's parents were pretty good as well. Now I am going to be a bit critical, it is a review you know, Ranger was only OK, no pony-tail, not as dark and brooding as the book relays. He smiled way too much! Any smile from Ranger should speak volumes! Grandma Mazur; I love Debbie Reynolds, but she didn't quite capture the little old lady. Benito Ramirez was nowhere near as fear inducing, brutal monster as he should have been. I think the movie would have been much better over all if they went for an R rating, rather than fluffing it up a bit to be PG-13. My biggest complaint, as a "car guy", is Big Blue. You mean to tell me they couldn't find an appropriate 50s Buick?! The point of the car is to represent something that most of the men who see it appreciate it, but the women don't get it. A 70s Buick, really irked me!!! All in all a good movie, 3.5 stars from us!! Look forward to the continuing series!!
14 out of 20 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I was disappointed
harmnegirl28 January 2012
If you haven't read the book you MIGHT like the movie. If you've read and loved the books this movie leaves a lot to be desired.

I suppose the MAIN part of the plot is the same but the details are scrambled or in some cases completely left out. Maybe I'm in the minority but a lot of the really funny stuff in the book was in the details and these parts got lost in the translation to the big screen. There was nothing too extreme in the book that might not have fit in the PG-13 rating so why did they change so many things? It was like the added more dialog in places and took out the fun and exciting stuff. Time shouldn't have been the reason either because the movie ran only an hour and a half - if they'd gone for two they could have had a much better (and closer to the book) adaptation.

I didn't care for the casting. Lula, Connie, and Vinnie matched the book descriptions of the characters fairly well but everyone else was off. It was like the casting director didn't read the book.

I'm disappointed because I had high hopes for the movie. I won't be buying the DVD or going to any sequels. Really, I think they'd have been better off to cast all unknowns that FITTED the characters and stuck to the plot from the book - it would have had a better shot.
28 out of 45 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A Nutshell Review: One for the Money
DICK STEEL27 January 2012
The trailer would remind you of the forgettable The Bounty Hunter starring Gerard Butler and Jennifer Aniston with the former being the titular character whose target happens to be his ex-wife, having them bicker and run from various misadventures together. Reverse the roles in order to have a female bounty hunter going after an ex-boyfriend, and the stage is set for more of the same, no? Not quite. One for the Money has a lot more going for it, predominantly being a film written by and made by females for its intended audience, and being an engaging flick chick that wonderfully encapsulates a whodunnit.

Katherine Heigl seems to be on a successful roll on celluloid, and is in her element here in this romantic action adventure comedy as lead character Stephanie Plum, a rookie bounty hunter drawn to the profession only because she's desperate for a job to pay off impending bills. An ex-lingerie model, we follow her transition from girly girl to a somewhat tough cookie ready to hold her own in her cousin's business, where an added incentive is to hunt down and bring in her ex-boyfriend Joe Morelli (Jason O'Mara), a cop wanted for the gunning down an unarmed felon.

Yes one would expect the usual laughs coming from her inexperience in a new field, her constantly being outwitted by slier opponents in the big bad town of Trenton, New Jersey, and having that pitch perfect sexual charisma with her mark since they share a common romantic history before in their youths. But to my surprise One for the Money has a little bit more depth in its story than I would have imagined, playing out like a mystery with a crime at hand to solve, with Stephanie stumbling her way from fact to fact, interacting with various interesting caricatures who don't bore, and plays out exactly like an 80s private detective film of old in spirit.

Written by Stacy Sherman, Karen Ray and Liz Brixius off the well received novel of the same name by Janet Evanovich, this probably accounts for a lot of female-centric focus on elements in the storyline, as well as director Julie Anne Robinson's ability to center this very much like a chick flick, wrapped around an old fashioned whodunnit. I mean, only in a story with an attractive female protagonist would you have other females in the story either old, or matronly, and having not one but two hunks - Morelli and fellow alpha-male bounty hunter Ranger (Daniel Sunjata) - involved at the crossroads of her life. Plenty of characterization goes into the lead character of Stephanie Plum, and Heigl brings a certain sass to the role, with little street smarts that cover for her lack of experience in the field.

Granted the mystery doesn't quite play out with that kind of tension and suspense as one would expect from a true blur genre film, but it does enough with its slight touch and managed to keep interest afloat. While there are 18 novels to date in the series of Stephanie Plum's adventures in bounty hunting, with each novel title starting with a number / numerically related, reality is that any subsequent film will have to rely on how much this makes at the box office. My bet is that it'll likely be something quite modest with a potential of 17 more films made only if Heigl wants to be stereotyped (if not already) or typecast. Still, One for the Money sits above average on the entertainment scale, and can be recommended fare if you'd give it a chance.
49 out of 85 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Long time Stephanie Plum fan loves the movie
etienne-reynard27 January 2012
One for the Money reviewed 9 out of 10 bags of popcorn.

Having read all eighteen of the Stephanie Plum books, a few of them more than once, it is safe to say that I am a big fan of the series, even though SP16 was a little disappointing and SP17 was a huge letdown. In any case, I went to the multiplex with a clear vision in my mind of how the characters should look, act and interact. This is the first movie that I've actually gone to a theater to see in at least two years. Sadly, the director seems to belong to what I call the 'mumble school of filmmaking', and the dialogue was very hard to follow at times. And no, that's not just my aged ears reacting because the forty-three-year-old I saw it with had a hard time hearing it as well. Best of all, we are in Orlando at the moment, with some dead time on our hands, and went to an early bird special for $5 per head. These days that's a bargain.

The movie worked. The chemistry between Plum and Morelli was obvious on screen. Morelli had a nice lithe but tightly muscular body with a well-proportioned butt. Too bad about those disgusting tattoos, but that too, was probably in character. Lula the street 'ho' was perfectly cast, as were Stephanie's cousin Vinnie and the girl in the bail bond office who Janet Evanovich describes as carrying most of her weight in her chest. Stephanie's parents were well done, and Debbie Reynolds was a pleasant surprise as Grandma Mazur. I'd always pictured Grandma as sort of wizened and shriveled (sort of like the Nanny's grandmother), and Reynolds at a couple of months shy of eighty didn't quite fit my preconceived image. That being said Reynolds has a flair for comedy, and it worked. The only disappointment was the casting of Ranger, hence the one bag deduction. Ranger was believable, but a little too personable, and maybe even a tad too verbose. Ranger in the books didn't talk a lot, and could put a whole sentence into one word when he looked at Stephanie and said, "Babe." The characters sounded like New Jersey residents and the row houses they lived in looked authentic.

Oh, and the 1953 Buick that Stephanie frequently borrows from the family is now a huge Buick from the 70s or 80s, but that worked quite nicely.

My partner and I are both looking forward to the next Stephanie Plum movie, assuming this one does well enough at the box office to justify the production.
52 out of 91 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I liked this movie
kydznme9 August 2013
I thought the One for The Money was a fun movie. I have watched it several times and was hoping they would continue with sequels. I am sure that the low ratings here will help ensure that does not happen though. The only thing that I wish we saw more were some of the side stories form the books. But, of course, that is hard to do with a movie. You just can't add everything from the book or the movie would be 6 hours long. I was looking forward to watching these characters develop like we have seen them in the books. One of my favorite castings was Shari Sheppard as Lula. She worked that role perfectly. I was able to find the movie in the discount bin however, and now I can watch it whenever I want.
8 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Cute but technical sucked
theking-885-1977724 March 2012
The movie was cute but the technical adviser should be fired. As a Bail Bondsman for over 15 years, here are some things that were stupid. Warrants for bail jumpers are not DEAD OR ALIVE. That went out over 100 years ago. Secondly....the character used a 5 SHOT revolver, but the two shooting scenes were ridiculous. At the shooting range, the 5 shot revolver fired TWELVE ROUNDS!Then you have the scene where she shoots the bad guy and fired SEVEN ROUNDS! As you can see these technical flaws really made the movie CHEEZY. I would really love to see a sequel, but get your facts and reality straight. The overall movie was entertaining. I have have always enjoyed the actress' work. She is very talented and stunning to watch. If you decide to do a sequel, then use a real bail bondsman and bail enforcement agent for your technical advisers.
17 out of 28 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
My opinion only...
v_ady292 March 2012
I didn't read the book, but I found this movie to be quite good and amusing. There were some parts of the movie where they could have done better, but I didn't have high expectancies about the movie... Now, after watching it, I realize that I liked it a lot and I was laughing all the time... Katherine Heigl, who played Stephanie Plum, did her job very well, even though the director was not so good... She promises to be an excellent actress if she can find a good role... Jason O'Mara is the archetype of the "american cop went bad", tough, but who can be melted by a determined woman... The worked well together, the result was better than I expected and the movie might be a good way to relax.I was disappointed by John Leguizamo, who is a great actor and who started playing in second hand movies. I don't understand why... On the other hand, I was surprised by Debbie Reynolds, who stared as Grandma Mazur and who was a breath of fresh air in the movie, with a lot of humor and cynicism, she was one of my favorite characters in the movie. If you don't have great expectancies from this movie, you will find it amusing and, maybe, you will relax for 91 minutes...
11 out of 18 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
One WORTH the money
speakmanapril2 October 2018
This movie was so good I wish we got to see MORE of Kath heigl. I expecially loved when she was chained up naked also that she ate food a lot. Haha
4 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Go open minded
Saffron558 March 2012
I have read all the Stephanie Plum books, including the holiday novellas and a short story called The Last Peeps so I feel like I know the series pretty well. I was excited to find out a movie was made because I wanted to see how well they managed to visualize the characters and storyline. I wasn't completely disappointed and that made me happy. The books make me laugh and so did the movie. I had no real cast expectations so Katherine Heigl as Stephanie was a reasonable choice. In other movies I've seen her in, she's silly and cute and a bit of a bumbler so she fit as far as I was concerned. My only wonder was that she seemed a bit tall and a bit too thin. Stephanie is 5'7 and 130lbs. Jason O'Mara as Morelli did nothing for me. He isn't at all the Mediterranean skinned, Italian, drop dead gorgeous guy needed. Only thing I'll give him is he says "cupcake" with the just right amount of contempt. I liked that they stuck close to the book in that there is unfinished business between Stephanie and Morelli due to her feeling slighted that he took her virginity without so much as a backwards glance. Daniel Sunjata as Ranger… Not exactly what I had in mind but he definitely is Yummy. Ranger is described as Cuban American with Latino good looks and "too light for the blacks and too dark for the Cubans" in book 12. Many mentions of The Rock were made for playing Ranger, which would have completely ruined it for me. He is so NOT who I see in my mind when I think Ranger. I did find Ranger portrayed as not mysterious and dark enough though. He seemed too friendly, and too eager to go to Stephanie's rescue. It takes several books for any of his interest to show and even then, he's not a talker. I didn't favor Debbie Reynolds as Grandma Mazur. She was mischievous but not thin and wily enough. Other cast members were good. Sherri Shepherd as Lula was perfect. Not using a 1950's Big Blue was a huge mistake. I was looking forward to that. Stephanie hates that car but it's very much necessary and as important as having Rex the hamster. I was expecting Benito to be scary and demented so I was disappointed with how that part of the book was played out. It was a bit fluffier than I thought it might be but close enough to the mark that I will buy it when it comes on DVD. With 18 books and 4 novellas, I don't imagine all of them would be made into movies but I would like to see 10 and 12 for sure.
4 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
TERRIBLE- very disappointed
slmoore-279-3806030 January 2012
My daughter and I have been Stephanie fans since the beginning, although we both have the admit the last (3) books have been rather ho hum - I have to presume the author has run out of story lines. My daughter had seen the trailers and I had not- she told me the characters would disappoint me- I did not believe her.

This is one of the only movies I was ready to leave before it was finished. I agree with another reviewer that Sandra Bullock would have been more believable for Stephanie- nothing against Katherine. From Grandma Mazur to Ranger - none of these were what I pictured when I read the series- and what is this about, promoting Eddie suddenly from street cop, a chunky, donut loving patrol officer(which he loves) to LT, WHY? I always pictured Grandma as a little blue haired lady- much like the adorable matriarch on the Golden Girls. In my opinion- Debbie Reynolds did not fit the bill at all. Very disappointed- As my grandson would say" we don't need to buy this one grandma".
22 out of 43 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Did anyone read the book?
skeating-277-81791628 January 2012
The casting for this movie was terrible. The only two characters who fit the book were Ranger and Lula. It would help if someone in casting had actually read the book before casting Stephanie or Joe because both actors did not do justice to the roles. I have never been so disappointed in any movie. Then movie was only 91 minutes long and I think they could have added another 30 minutes to the movie to make it more like the book. The scene where Stephanie found Lula was no where close the the book and the ending was so sloppy. I can see leaving out some parts but to just change the way the book ends is just wrong. This is a movie if done well, could have watched over and over but I wouldn't waste my time to see this one again.
14 out of 26 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Love love loved It
belarooney30 September 2018
I dont see how anyone couldn't love this movie. I am a huge fan of the books ( lost count on how many times I've read them all,over and over ). I admit there could've been a little more... gumption, but I still really enjoyed the movie. I think they did great with the characters. Even though i imagined Grandma Mazur, as much as I love Debbie Reynolds, a little more like Estelle Getty. But still,she was amazing. I only wish that there would have been a second movie. Or maybe turned into a TV series. It's sad that this didn't get that great of ratings. I watch this movie all the time and even my daughter loves it.
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I've read all the books and you know what... good job.
BlueRhubarb28 August 2018
Not too bad an adaptation. A movie will never be the same as the books. If you translated it directly, you'll probably have a film of 5 hours. Katherine Heigl was believable and the guy who played Ranger was bang on the money. Pleasant way to pass a few hours; shame they don't make more.
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Plum time it made it to the big screen!!!!!
KerryLZ197431 January 2012
Loved the movie! Wasn't sure if I was going to be thrilled with the actors that they picked since I have read all the books, including the novellas, in the Stephanie Plums series. I have to say I really enjoyed the movie. I think they did a great job with transferring the book into the movie and I can't wait for more or a TV series. Katherine Heigel did a really great job as Stephanie Plum. The action was non-stop just like in the books along with the comedy. I thought they also did an impressive job of casting Vinnie, Connie and Lula. These are key characters and not just any actor would do to the Plum fans. Even if you haven't read the books I think this movie would be very enjoyable with the action, mystery and comedy.
14 out of 27 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Even with my preconceived ideas of the cast, it was good.
berget8028 January 2012
I went to this movie expecting to be incredibly disappointed! However, I ended up enjoying it much more than I could have thought.

When I heard Katherine Heigl was starring as Stephanie, I thought no way this will be good. But she was able to bring the goofiness at points and also brought the vulnerability and tough, I am not going to let anything get in my way, attitude that Stephanie also possesses. I had thought when mentally casting this only of Stephanie's silliness, but it was good that there was more depth here.

As for Joe, I had always envisioned a smoldering, dark, Italian hottie, but Jason O'Mara was great as Joe. He was cocky and hot, even without the dark hair and eyes! He seemed street smart and tough, and very believable. And Jason and Katherine had a very palpable, real, sizzling chemistry that really made it.

All in all, putting aside my preconceived notions, the cast worked and delivered. No, it wasn't perfect, but I often think that most book to film adaptations aren't perfect and we just have to have an open mind and sit back and enjoy the ride.
10 out of 18 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Total Mess
claudio_carvalho29 July 2013
In New Jersey, the newly-divorced Stephanie Plum (Katherine Heigl) is a complete loser. She lost her job in Macy's and has no money to pay her bills. Her mother tells her that her cousin, who has a bail-bond business, is hiring a person to help him. Stephanie gets the position of recovery agent and is assigned to catch her former boyfriend Joe Morelli (Jason O'Mara) that is a cop accused of executing a drug dealer. Stephanie finds Joe and he claims that he is innocent and was framed. She tries to find evidences that he is innocent and evolves with very dangerous people.

"One for the Money" is a total mess, lost between a comedy and a thriller. The heavy hand of director Julie Anne Robinson makes a movie unfunny and violent for a comedy and silly for a thriller. I bought this DVD on sale because of the name of Katherine Heigl, who is miscast in the role of a bounty hunter and can not save this movie, and I was completely disappointed. My vote is three.

Title (Brazil): "Como Agarrar Meu Ex-Namorado" ("How to Catch My Ex- Boyfriend")
9 out of 17 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.