Lockout (2012) Poster

(2012)

My Date With The President's Daughter
bkoganbing27 April 2012
In this futuristic science fiction film, earth has apparently solved its incarceration problem. A giant prison has been built in space floating above our earth and our prisoners have been put in stasis. They are frozen in containment pods and the work and worry of guarding prisoners and feeding them and keeping them occupied or even rehabilitating them is all in the past. But no less than the president's daughter Maggie Grace is on a fact finding mission because she's heard bad rumors about the place.

At the same time CIA agent Guy Pearce is in a jackpot all his own when a fellow agent and friend is killed and some valuable documents about the US space program are stolen. He's in a real bind over at headquarters.

But when some nitwit violates rule one in correctional facilities even futuristic ones and keeps his gun in his ankle holster it all goes down hill from there. One of the really crazier inmates gets a hold of the weapon and the prisoners are freed from stasis and they've got hostages including Grace. Pearce just might be the best bet to free her and an alibi witness in his own case is on the floating prison as well.

Lockout is a combination of Gattaca and Escape from New York with a little bit of the old Tyrone Power/Susan Hayward western Rawhide thrown in as well. The special effects are decent and the players are well cast.

The man who overpowers the security agent and takes his weapon is Joseph Gilgun and his brother who is the leader of the convicts is Vincent Regan. Gilgun has two suits missing from his deck and Regan has all he can do to contain him and he's not all that successful. For those of you who are familiar with the film Rawhide, there's a distinct parallel between Regan and Gilgun and Hugh Marlowe and Jack Elam from Rawhide. And it works out the same way with the characters in both.

Nothing truly outstanding about Lockout, but it's a decent afternoon's entertainment.
2 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Lock It Up and Throw Away the Key
Michael_Elliott23 April 2012
Lockout (2012)

* 1/2 (out of 4)

A former CIA agent named Snow (Guy Pearce) is framed for a murder he didn't commit and is about to be sent to a prison in outer space when something bad happens. It turns out that the President's daughter (Maggie Grace) was on the prison for a humanitarian effort when the convicts broke free and have taken her hostage. Now Snow is offered his freedom in exchange for getting on the prison ship and saving her. Yes, this is certainly a major rip-off of ESCAPE FROM NEW YORK but without the charm, excitement and great characters. It's really a shame LOCKOUT turned out so bad because it could have worked on many levels. Back in the early 80s there were a whole slew of rip-offs coming out from Italy, Germany and various other countries and these would play in drive-ins or low-rent theaters. LOCKOUT could have worked like those films but the direction here is just so poor that it's really hard to be caught up in anything going on. It also doesn't help that the film is burdened with a PG-13 rating, which takes away any possible sleaze aspect and you can tell that certain scenes appeared to be cut down to avoid anything too graphic. This is really silly because there are points in the film where people are decapitated and there are jokes built around such events and yet it's all editing down. Another problem is that the direction just never packs any punch in regards to drama, action and even the fight scenes are boring. The characters are all standard stereotypes and none of them are interesting. This is especially true of the Grace character who is just downright annoying, stupid and you can't help but hope something bad happens to her. Pearce at least turns in a good performance even if it is rather sad seeing someone so talented appear in stuff like this. The one thing the film does have going for it are some pretty funny one-liners and they're perfectly delivered by Pearce. LOCKOUT could have been something but what it turns out to be is a silly, low-rent action movie trapped in a PG-13 universe with direction that just keeps bringing it down.
39 out of 88 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Great, good-natured fun
Leofwine_draca14 April 2014
Luc Besson is the man behind this ultra-fast-paced B-movie action flick, which can best be described as DIE HARD on a space station. It's a B-movie through and through, in which the unashamedly unoriginal storyline is rushed through at a blistering speed with plenty of entertainment value heaped in along the way.

The best thing about the film is by far Guy Pearce and his antihero character. Pearce is one of those underrated actors in Hollywood, one of the ones who seems to out-act everybody else in a movie, and you wonder why he never quite made the A-list. He fits his laconic character in this one like a glove, and the witty one-liners are delivered with relish. Put simply, he's one of the funniest action stars since Bruce Willis in the original DIE HARD.

The storyline is loaded with action and violent incident throughout, and there's little time to take a breath let alone become bored by the proceedings. Besson has assembled a great little cast here, in particular the bad guys; Vincent Regan (300) as the serious bad guy, while Joe Gilgun (THIS IS ENGLAND) has a ball as the oddball psycho. Lennie James is always a welcome presence too, and even Maggie Grace is much less annoying than she was in the TAKEN series. Kudos to Besson for producing his best movie in years.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Fun 2nd tier sci-fi
SnoopyStyle27 August 2013
It's 2079. Ex-CIA Operative Snow (Guy Pearce) is accused of treason. Idealistic daughter of the president of the USA Emilie Warnock (Maggie Grace) travels to orbiting prison station MS-1 to investigate if prisoners are actually guinea pigs of a huge corporation. She is taken hostage and Snow is offered freedom if he rescues her. Only she does not want to leave MS-One without the other hostages.

This is a simple 2nd tier sci-fi movie. There isn't much originality in the story. The CG is passable. The action is fun. In fact, the whole movie is fun. There's nothing wrong with fun. The actors are good. This was a fun little ride. Just don't expect too much.
Nothing New, but Highly Entertaining
claudio_carvalho19 January 2013
In 2079, in Washington, the ex-CIA Operative Snow (Guy Pearce) is brutally interrogated, accused of treason against the United States. The chief of the secret service Scott Langral (Peter Stormare) believes that he shot the agent Frank in a hotel room.

Meanwhile, the idealistic daughter of the president of the USA, Emilie Warnock (Maggie Grace), is visiting MS One, a maximum security prison in outer space expecting to find evidences that the prisoners are actually guinea pigs of a huge corporation. When one of her bodyguards loses a hidden pistol for the dangerous prisoner Hydell (Joseph Gilgun), he subdues the staff in the central control room and releases the prisoners, including his brother Alex (Vincent Regan) that becomes the leader of the riot.

Now the veteran agent Harry Shaw (Lennie James) offers freedom to Snow if he succeeds in rescuing the president's daughter. But the idealistic Emilie does not want to leave MS-One without the hostages.

"Lockout" is a movie with a well known storyline and nothing new, but also highly entertaining. The story uses the idea of "Escape from New York" and "Escape from L.A" with "No Escape" ("Absolom") and other prison movies. The tough Snow is a cynical and selfish antihero visibly inspired in Snake Plissken and the stubborn Emilie has stupid attitudes, but at least is consistent. The haywire villain Hydell is funny. My vote is seven.

Title (Brazil): "Sequestro no Espaço" ("Abduction in the Space")
16 out of 24 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Vaguely distracting but never as fun or as thrilling as it needed to be
bob the moo14 July 2012
Lockout had a decent trailer behind it but at the same time it had the decency not to suggest it was something brilliant or that it would be competing with the big boys in the summer action stakes; instead it seemed to offer simple fun with a bit of self-knowing humour amongst the action sequences. In a way I was looking at Taken as the example of what it could deliver, albeit with a sci-fi twist. The plot is simple and owes a debt to Die Hard as much as it does to Escape from New York and it sets the scene for good action and fun one-liners which stop you taking it too seriously. Unfortunately it never really delivers this and folds when it should have gone all in.

The opening scene offered much as it combined violence with tough-guy wise-cracks and I was looking for it to do more of that for the rest of the film. Sadly it only manages to do it sporadically and it doesn't spread to the whole film to give it the tone that it needed to carry this off. It isn't one thing that fails though because generally all the bits are decent enough on their own, it is just that they never come together well enough and they never really drew me. The action sequences are solid but never thrilling – although they do occasionally go the other way and come off a little silly (but not in a good way). They lack heft and impact in their delivery too, so I never got into them so much as just watched them. The humour is funny at times but it is too heavily on Snow to do it all, which is fine but it actually feels odd because he is out of step with the rest of the film (although it is actually out of step with him). The plot is also a lot messier than it needs to be with more to do than it can cope with – so as a result we have lots of lazy convenience and stuff that doesn't work but has to happen anyway.

Pearce is OK and he works well with the one-liners and nonsense personae, it is a shame that he is not in a better film. Grace is not as good, she is too earnest in her character and she has no spark with Pearce at all, she really didn't work for me at all. Regan and Gilgun are reasonably decent as villains but again the film doesn't develop of use them particularly well – what happens happens and it could have been done better and with more fit. James and Stomare add their faces but little else all told.

Overall Lockout is at least honest about it being the sort of film that plays best as a Friday night DVD, unfortunately it still doesn't do a great job with that market. All the genre standards in place but lack of consistency, too much mess in the plotting and some specific weaknesses all limit it and prevent it being the fun action ride that it really should have been.
2 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
"I'M BEING BEAT UP BY A GUY NAMED RUPERT?"
nogodnomasters18 July 2018
The movie follows a plot similar to "Escape from New York City," but other than Guy Pearce as Snow, it lacks memorable characters. In 2079, Guy is convicted of murder and espionage. In order to beat the rap he must rescue the President's daughter from an orbiting space prison...apparently built after a crazy ideas man gets elected president. I started making a list of the science flaws and quit after half a page. My other column for absurdities was equally as long. Clearly this is a "leave your brain at the door" movie.

Guy is a wise cracking individual. His humor is enjoyable, even if corny at times. Of course the President's daughter (Maggie Grace) objects to being the only hostage being rescued. Good comedy-action sci-fi story.

F-bomb, no sex, no nudity.
Not the PG13 version mind you
kosmasp9 June 2012
I watched this movie in Germany and we got the uncut version (that will be released in the good old US of A tagged as unrated). I have to admit, I had no idea what to expect, but was more than pleasantly surprised. Is this a formula that has been used before? Of course it has. John McClane, Snake Plissken and others come to mind. I'm not saying Guy Pearces character is rattling the throne of one of them, but he is having so much fun with it and it really translates onto screen.

Of course there is the other view, that this is premature and tries to be funny but isn't. I can't foresee what side you will be on. I know that Guy Pearce is not trying, he just is. It comes natural of and out of him. Guy Pearce actually does not get as much credit as he does deserve for his acting
3 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Lockout
jboothmillard13 November 2015
I remember seeing the trailer for this film a couple of times, I thought it looked like a good idea and concept, and the cast certainly drew me to a bit more as well, so I watched and hoped for something good. Basically in the year 2079, ex-CIA agent Snow (Guy Pearce) is arrested, falsely accused of treason against the United States and the murder of undercover agent Frank Armstrong (Miodrag Stevanovic), by chief of the secret service Scott Langral (Peter Stormare). Meanwhile Emilie Warnock (Taken's Maggie Grace), the daughter of the President of the United States, Jeff Warnock (Peter Hudson), is visiting MS One, a maximum security prison in outer space, to investigate claims of a huge corruption, that the prisoners, in stasis, could develop mental instability. Prison warden Barnes (Mark Tankersley) allows Warnock to interview deranged prisoner Hydell (Joseph Gilgun), but he manages to escape, subduing the staff in the central room and releasing all prisoners, including his brother Alex (This Is England's Vincent Regan) who becomes the riot leader. Veteran agent Harry Shaw (The Walking Dead's Lennie James) offers Snow his freedom if he agrees to go on a mission, to infiltrate MS One and rescue the president's daughter, once he gets there and he does find her, Emilie being idealistic refuses to leave without taking other hostages as well. Also starring Tim Plester as John James Mace and Jacky Ido as Hock. Pearce is alright as the brash and wisecracking maverick government operative, Grace does okay as the pretty humanitarian and daughter of the U.S. president, and Gilgun and Regan are chilling as the insane adversaries, this is a near predictable jail breakout story where criminals take over and cause havoc, but the prison being in outer space gives it a bit more of a claustrophobic element, and there are enough violence and gun shooting sequences to keep you engaged, a relatively fast-paced science- fiction action thriller. Worth watching!
1 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Interesting, but not up to what we have come to expect from Luc Besson.
TxMike22 August 2012
In fairness, it is only partially a Luc Besson film. He is credited with the idea and some of the writing, but it was not directed by him. As has already been mentioned countless times, the basic idea is pretty close to the story of 'Escape from New York' where a hardened criminal had to go alone into the maximum security prison that Manhattan had become in this future world and retrieve the POTUS to gain his freedom. And to save his own life.

Here Guy Pearce is Snow, and he had been imprisoned for what appeared to be a cold-blooded killing. They had eye-witness proof (which at the end of the movie is disproved). Now, in this future world, the most hardened criminals are sent to M.S. One, the first maximum security prison in space. Snow wasn't headed there yet, but...

Maggie Grace, who was the wayward daughter of Liam Neeson in 'Taken", is Emilie Warnock who happens to be the daughter of POTUS Warnock. She travels to M.S. One for a humanitarian mission, to make sure prisoners are treated fairly. While she is there a rebellion starts, her life is in danger, and Snow is given the chance to travel there, alone, and bring Emilie to safety. The M.S. One station has a secret escape pod and he is given instructions on how to access it.

There are several menacing bad guys in the rebellion but the most menacing one is Joseph Gilgun as Hydell. His right eye is blind, covered over by a milky blue film, he has an unusual haircut, bad teeth, and a constant crazy look on his face. He makes Daffy (Robert Carlyle) of 'The Beach' seem almost like a choir boy in comparison. Hydell only survives as long as he does because his reasonably level-headed brother is the leader of the rebellion.

Most of the movie takes place in M.S. One, and in addition to the rescue of Emilie, Snow is determined to also rescue his friend Mace, who we see in the opening scenes. From there the plot gets a bit fuzzy and hard to follow, but Mace hid a briefcase and Snow needed that briefcase.

I found the movie just 'OK' as an action flick. I like Guy Pierce, and the script kept his role 'light' in that he had a number of rather funny lines. Perhaps similar to the Brice Willis character in 'The Fifth Element.' But in general I don't care for movies with lots of shooting and killing and this one has that. Not up to what I expect from a Besson film.
2 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Lockout was actually a rather nice surprise...
paul_haakonsen30 December 2018
I stumbled upon "Lockout" by sheer luck. I picked it up and read the synopsis and thought to myself 'sure, why not? Could be an interesting enough movie'.

And I must admit that I am glad that I did watch it, despite not being much of a fan of Guy Pearce, because "Lockout" was a really entertaining movie from start to end.

"Lockout" is a great combination of well orchestrated and choreographed action and intense suspense. It just worked together for a great outcome, mixing the two proved a good ingredient for the movie.

While I am not a fan of Guy Pearce, then I must admit to the fact that he is actually a fairly skilled actor, and he did carry "Lockout" quite well. And he was joined by an interesting cast ensemble, whom each individually brought their respective character to life on the screen with grace. And the movie was stuffed with interesting characters, which really added a lot of flavor to the storyline.

It should be said that the movie suffered somewhat from some awful CGI during the street chases. That was just so bad to watch and beyond my comprehension how that made it to the final cut. It was such an eyesore to look at. Just see the movie, and you will see for yourself.

All in all, "Lockout" is a very entertaining and enjoyable movie. And it is quite well worth sitting down and watching, spending your time, money and effort on it.
2 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Preposterous
blanche-21 June 2014
I've loved Guy Pearce since "LA Confidential," so I seek out whatever he's in. Here he is in a derivative action film, "Lockout" from 2012. He reminds me a little of the fun Mel Gibson here, tossing off funny lines in dangerous situations. Pearce is a true chameleon.

In Lockout, the President's daughter, Emilie Warnock (Maggie Grace) goes into orbit, literally, to check on the welfare of prisoners in a new facility that puts prisoners into "stasis" (sleep) for the length of their sentence. There are some side effects of this, so she is checking that the treatment is humane. While she's there, one of the prisoners (Joseph Gilbun) is woken up to speak with her; he then overcomes the guards and manages to take over the whole prison. He doesn't know that Emilie is the President's daughter, which is the only advantage they have on the ground.

It's decided that the U.S. will send CIA agent Snow (Guy Pearce) who has recently been captured and charged with killing an agent who was investigating a mole selling government secrets. The footage seen by the Secret Service director showing Snow killing the agent has been doctored. Snow wants another CIA agent, Harry Shaw (Lennie James) to find his contact Mace -- Mace has hidden a briefcase containing information about the mole.

Snow's assignment is to rescue the President's daughter and return her to earth. Lots of things keep him from quickly accomplishing that goal.

This film is loaded with action and explosions. The beginning chase scene looks exactly like what it is - computerized graphics. The movie cost $20 million to make which I guess doesn't go very far nowadays. The rest of the movie looks better.

It's an okay movie but so formulaic...just once I'd like to see a female hostage not hate the man sent to save her and then find out he's really a great guy. It didn't seem realistic to me -- I mean, what's to hate about Guy Pearce?
1 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Derivative, low-brained popcorn entertainment
Coventry8 April 2012
Summer must be coming around soon, as here come the popcorn blockbusters! Although … "Lockout" still might be a little bit "lightweight" to be considered a box office hit, in spite of the explosive and spectacular action sequences and a couple of familiar fresh faces. "Lockout", based on an original concept idea by the mighty respectable Luc Besson, initially feels overwhelming and imposing, but it's actually one of the most derivative action thrillers you'll ever see. The plot borrow its main story lines and characterizations from a series of world famous as well as lesser known Sci-Fi classics/gems. The setting of a (supposedly) inescapable maximum security prison floating around in space comes from the early 90's cult favorite "Fortress", the premise of a noble convict sent in to try and evacuate a presidential relative naturally comes from John Carpenter's legendary Sci-Fi monument "Escape from New York" and Guy Pearce's character Snow fires off as many witty one-liners as Bruce Willis did in all of the "Die Hard" movies combined. The year is 2079 and Pearce depicts an elite secret agent wrongfully accused of espionage and murder, but the only evidence that can set him free has gone missing. Snow is about to be sent to MS-1, a super hi-tech penitentiary in space, when all of a sudden riots break out. Snow is nonetheless sent to MS-1; not as a prisoner but as the last hope to bring back the president's daughter Emilie, who was there to investigate the effects of brain stagnation and accidentally caused the prison disorder. "Lockout" is definitely amusing while it lasts, but it's unmemorable and occasionally even too preposterous for its own good. The structure of the film is logical and most of the key sequences are easy to predict, but at least it's fun to behold the excessive violence and some of the over-the-top performances, like Guy Pearce and particularly the prototypical British scumbag Joseph Gilgun as the indescribably psychotic and maniacal inmate Hydell. The CGI-effects are surprisingly inane and laughable. There's one scene in particular that is quite terrible, namely near the beginning when Snow tries to escape from a crime scene on a motorcycle seemingly borrowed from "Minority Report". That sequence actually looks as if you're watching a video game. Premiered at the annual Belgian Festival of Fantastic Films.
56 out of 110 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
High-risk operation in outer space
michaelRokeefe17 May 2020
Enjoyable and quick paced. A former government agent is wrongly accused of a crime and is given the chance to redeem himself. Snow (Guy Pearce) is offered his freedom if he rescues the president's daughter, Emilie (Maggie Grace), from a maximum prison taken over by rioting prisoners. Great chemistry between the two lead characters. Plenty of action, sarcasm and comical sexual tension.

The cast also features: Mark Tankersly, Joseph Gilgun, Lennie James, Vincent Regan and Jacky Ido.
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Nobody smokes anymore, Snow!
hitchcockthelegend2 September 2012
I was kind of inclined to headline this as being the movie guaranteed to make highbrow film fans froth with incredulity. That anyone could enjoy such a derivative, tongue-in-cheek, low ambition piece of schlock, is surely cause for venomous spleen venting from the serio film brigade. They call them guilty pleasures, but thing is, I just don't feel guilty about having such a wonderfully fun filled great time with the Luc Besson produced Lockout.

Plot? Well it's the future and basically Guy Pearce (Snow) is wrongly convicted of a crime and sentenced to do stir in stasis until whenever. But up in space at the MS1 prison facility, home to all the maniacs found in "Demolition Man", the president's daughter, do-gooder babe Emilie Warnock (Maggie Grace), is suddenly taken captive and it's a big hostage situation. This looks like a mission for a serious hard bastard type! Well "Snake Plissken" wasn't available, so they get Snow, who is bulked up, full of wise cracks and has a point to prove. Guess what follows? Yep, complete popcorn frenzy as Pearce and Grace cut a swathe through MS1 and have a date with coolness personified.

On the way, via a truly gorgeous sci-fi affected Blu-ray print, we will tick off the homages and influences and compare notes with our viewing partners about how it's a "Snake Plissken" movie but with Shane Black type dialogue. While those who are partial to a bit of sci-fi design are well served here. Because even though there might be the worst CGI effects ever during a chase scene (that mercifully only runs for 50 seconds), the space ships, sets and Torsion System sequence, prove that you don't need Michael Bay type bucks to please the eyes. From the quite brilliant and hilarious opening interrogation beat down, to the big reveal and punch line, this Besson produced piece is serving popcorn with a smile to a certain segment in the film watching populace.

With bits of the "Snake Plissken" movies, "Fortress", "Die Hard", "Commando", "Demolition Man", "Minority Report", "Last Boy Scout" and any other quip laden dude/wronged man on a mission movie, Lockout clearly lacks originality. But seriously! Was anyone involved playing it as anything other than a sly homage movie? No, they wasn't. Pearce is great fun in the role, but he isn't trying to worry the highbrow crowd's votes for films of the year. Anyone viewing it expecting something cerebral should feel more guilty than those who stand up to say they had a great time watching it. Ingem Ferem. 7/10
56 out of 74 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
See You Jimmy . We're From Ecosse
Theo Robertson3 September 2013
Well what can you say about LOCKOUT without mentioning some better and just as many mediocre movies ? For he first 15 minutes I found myself wondering if I could sum up enough energy to make the ten line rule . Luc Besson wrote the screenplay but he co-wrote with a couple of other writers and according to cinema criticism the more writers a film has the less satisfying the finished product . The " original idea " is credited to Besson but one can't help thinking this is artistic license because there's not any originality and as everyone is quick to point out it's like one of those movies based on a video game and an early sequence with Pearce in a vehicle gives the impression you're watching a sequence stolen from GRAND THEFT AUTO the video game

Oh hold on who's this ? Oh it's a bad guy with a Scottish accent who speaks in a Glasgow vernacular . Oh there's two of them ! Pure dead brilliant by the way . and at this point my interest was piqued because if there's one thing a film needs it's Scottish villains if only because it leads to an audience identification from this commentator . That said this type of dubious patriotism won't extend beyond the borders of Scotland and anyone expecting anything more than loud , noisy straight to DVD popcorn movie thrills will be rather disappointed
1 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Lockout
Scarecrow-8828 April 2012
Sometimes a movie trailer tells you exactly what you are in for. That is certainly the case for "Lockout", a scifi action flick that is essentially "Escape from New York in Space" with the person to be rescued the President's daughter instead of the Commander-in-Chief himself. Guy Pierce is a blast as an ex-CIA agent, wrongfully accused for a murder over a friend and fellow agent inside an apartment, with secrets supposedly inside a steel case the object of concern for the government. The case and the secrets are basically the equivalent of the "cassette tape" Pleasance was carrying around in "Escape from New York", while some importance seems to be placed on the information, it is just a minor plot point in the grand scheme of things. Ultimately, Pierce is a chain-smoking, hippo-lighter carrying, wise-cracking, cynical, hard-nosed, don't give a damn about what you think of him asshole with good in him (it is there, but he keeps it buried underneath a lot of f-u attitude), who could be a relative of Snake Plisskin except he has a bit more color about his personality. Actually, Pierce is an archetype of the 80s action hero, and his character was one of the reasons I went to see this at the theater. That and the eye candy of the space prison orbiting earth, and let me tell you the special effects are visually sweet indeed. The sets are first-rate and there's plenty of attitude to spare, but there isn't an original bone in the body of "Lockout". This is unpretentious popcorn fodder that doesn't pretend to be anything else. The one major criticism besides those who would hold up the "unoriginality card" would be the PG-13 violence, most of the brutal stuff is off-screen. I think "Lockout" is a movie one would expect should feature visceral, blood-and-guts violence considering the main setting and the depraved, unhinged, and out-of-control populace released from their cryogenic chambers, taking over the station practically. And the film doesn't take too much time setting them free. Maggie Grace has more personality in this film than other performances I have seen from her in the past; she has spunk and is unflappable to the point that annoys Pierce who ribs her often. Casting is key to this film, I think, as reliable character actor, Peter Stormare (Fargo), as Government Brass, Langral, Lennie James (Colombiana) as CIA Head, Shaw (with a penchant for peanuts), Vincent Regan as Lead Criminal, Alex, and especially Joseph Gilgun as Demented Unpredictable Lunatic Hydell (with psychotic eyes for Grace; the film plays up the possibility of what he will do if he ever gets her all to himself). Gilgun really will probably be the one, other than Pierce, most viewers will remember after watching this movie. But, truthfully, this is about how Pierce's Snow gets Grace's opinionated Emilie out of harm's way and off the station in one piece. As you might have guessed, there's the sexual tension that exists between hero and "package"; the two often barb with each other while avoiding gunfire and various threats against their lives. The screenplay's inspiration is obvious. I mean, for a little while, Pierce can communicate with James and Stormare while inside the space station (as Plisskin was with Lee Van Cleef in "Escape...)and there is even the scene where we see the hero receiving his weapons and gadgets for use. I must be honest and say that, despite the fact I had fun with this movie, "Lockout" isn't gonna exactly make an impact, but I think it will be that flick you can easily pop into the blu-ray/DVD player and watch over and over--that to me, it a compliment. We need our junk food/chocolate cake every once in a while...
0 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
You Don't Have To Buy It
LeonLouisRicci9 November 2012
There are Comic Books and there are Movies made about Comic Book Heroes. There are Comic Books and there are Movies that are like Comic Books. They have that same sort of abandon bravado that is within the creative world that is the adventurous ride one takes when entering and buying into that realm.

This is one of those types. It has very little logic and very little applicable science. It just is. You except that, buy your ticket and strap in. Nothing is really relevant and it all is there for a stimulation of the senses and nothing more pertinent except having a good time. It is not deep, or revelatory, it is not based in any sort of grounding or in a construct except just the very basics of an environment that is at best entertaining.

There are so many Movies like this one and it is tickling to imagine all the cerebral criticism like..."he wouldn't do that" or "you can't do that it's against the laws of physics" or "it is all so unbelievable" and on and on. None of that is appropriate and is an exercise in futility.

It's like saying the Coyote would never have lived through a fall from the cliff at that height. See how silly it all is. This is a silly movie based on a silly premise with silly characters and silly situations with silly dialog and silly motivations and...It just is what it is and that's all that it is.

Silly, entertaining stuff. You don't have to buy it. Read a book instead. Just don't read a Comic Book.
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
"Escape from L.A." Meets "Fortress 2 Re-Entry"
zardoz-1315 April 2012
If you're a hardcore action movie aficionado, you probably compared "Lockout" with John Carpenter's vintage sci-fi epic "Escape from L.A." the first time that you watched the lively little trailer. The last actor that I thought would appear in this entertaining but disposable piece of fodder is Guy Pearce. Typically, the English-born Pearce appears in prestigious upscale films, such as "Memento," "The King's Speech," "The Hurt Locker," "The Count of Monte Cristo," "L.A. Confidential," and Ridley Scott's forthcoming "Alien" prequel "Prometheus." "Lockout" looks out of place in Pearce's filmography so perhaps he was slumming for a fast paycheck. Rookie writer/directors James Mather and Stephen St. Ledger along with ubiquitous French film producer Luc Besson have done some creative cherry picking for "Lockout." Indeed, the premise about a rugged, lone wolf hero sent into a hostile environment to save the daughter of a U.S. President has all the earmarks of "Escape from L.A" This time the setting is a maximum security prison in orbit rather than Los Angeles. This is reminiscent of the Geoff Murphy sci-fi thriller "Fortress 2 Re-entry" (2000) with Christopher Lambert serving time in a futuristic state-of-the-art maximum security prison orbiting 26-thousand miles above the Earth. Of course, the orbiting prison evokes the idea of Alcatraz in space. No way is anybody getting out of this place without becoming a satellite. Anybody who hasn't seen any of these thrillers will probably compare "Lockout" to the Bruce Willis "Die Hard" franchise. Mind you, Besson is probably the brain child behind most of this exciting nonsense since he wrote "La Femme Nikita," "The Transporter" franchise, both "Taken" as well as "Taken 2," and "The Fifth Element."

Like "Escape from L.A.," "Lockout" takes place in the future. Yes, this is another dystopian future. Nevertheless, some things don't change. America still has prisons, but the biggest and the worst is no longer on terra firma but instead orbits the Earth. Furthermore, the prisoners are held in suspended animation stasis. The adult daughter of the U.S. President Warnock, Emilie (Maggie Grace of "The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn - Part 1"), is on a goodwill mission to M.S. One. Actually, she is there to investigate allegations that nefarious experiments are being performed on the inmates. No sooner has Emilie arrived than the inmates stage a breakout. One of Emilie's overzealous Secret Service agents decides that surrendering his entire arsenal of firearms will make him feel naked so he keeps a gun strapped to his ankle. This Secret Service agent gets into a scuffle with a particularly psychotic inmate, Hydell(Joseph Gilgun of "Harry Brown"), during Emilie's interview and Hydell swipes his ankle pistol. Initially, Hydell and his older brother Alex (Vincent Regan of "Troy") have no idea that Emilie is the President's daughter.

Meanwhile, back on Earth, a wisecracking former CIA agent named Snow (Guy Pearce of "The Proposition") is up to his ears in his own woes. Not only has he lost an important suitcase that contains secret information, but he has also been caught and charged with the murder of his best friend as well as treason. The authorities decide Snow is the ideal candidate to blast off into space and rescue the President's daughter. Of course, Snow isn't exactly enamored of the idea so he qualifies as a reluctant hero. Once he arrives aboard M.S. One, he finds himself in a murky maze with everybody, including the President's daughter, trying to kill him. After she realizes who Snow is, Emilie and he stick together like glue but constantly bicker. While Snow and Emilie are fleeing from Alex and his insane brother Hydell--who regards everybody else as a potential casualty, our heroes rely on aid from the outside in the form of Shaw (Lennie James of "Columbiana") who knows Snow. Shaw possesses blueprints of the prison and can advise Snow where to go to elude the inmates. Shaw and Snow have an underlying relationship that relates to the missing suitcase. It seems the man who last had the suitcase, Mace (Tim Plester of "Dr. Who: A Christmas Carol"), is the only one who knows about its location. Unfortunately, since he has only recently been released from stasis, he has trouble verbalizing his thoughts.

"Lockout" is the kind of runaway thriller where complications keep complicating everything. Mind you, this is a derivative movie in the sense that you've seen everything here before. No matter what happens, Besson and first time helmers Mather and St. Ledger keep throwing obstacles in the path of our hero and heroine. The villains are treacherous and take lives without a qualm. In fact, actor Joseph Gilgun bears an amazing resemblance to Robert De Niro in his early Martin Scorsese movies "Mean Streets" and "Taxi Driver." The setting is appropriately grubby a la "Outland." Interestingly, Guy Pearce is playing the kind of role that Arnold Schwarzenegger would have done back in 1984. Like James Bond, Schwarzenegger acquired the habit of uttering a clever one-liner whenever he found himself in a tight predicament. Pearce's Snow behaves in similar fashion. Some of the lines that he utters are humorous. Maggie Grace and he seem appropriately paired despite the circumstances surrounding their coupling. Clocking in at a trim, vigorous 95 minutes, "Lockout" looks a little rough around the edges but it delivers every cliché intact with more than enough style to make it worth watching.
3 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
What is Guy Pearce doing in this?
Boba_Fett11381 July 2012
Quite surprised that this movie is being liked so well. It really is nothing more than a dumb. B-movie flick. It's the sort of stuff Jean- Claude Van Damme used to do in the early '90's. In that regard I also really don't understand how a respected actor such as Guy Pearce ended up playing the lead role in this movie.

The movie isn't even being an original one. It 'borrows' from a whole bunch of other movies, most notably "Escape from New York". Guess the film-makers wanted to do a "Escape from New York" set in space and forgot, or simply just didn't bothered, to come up with something good and original on its own.

But is the movie at least fun and entertaining to watch? Not halve as much as it could and should had been. There just isn't enough variety in this movie and lacks some good action set pieces. There is never a big confrontation or anything of that sort and even though it's a fast paced movie, there isn't really an awful lot happening in the movie when looking back at it, by the end.

The special effects also get ridiculously bad to watch at times. Common, this is an 2012 movie! These sort of effects are simply not acceptable anymore, no matter how low the budget on this movie was. I have seen some low budget '80's that had better effects than this movie in it!

Another aspect that prevented me from ever really liking this movie was its main character, played by Guy Pearce. He was supposed to be a wisecracking tough guy but his lines mostly worked out annoying. He just wasn't being a very convincing action-hero, no matter how many muscles Pearce gained for his role.

Granted this is not the worst B-genre movie you could watch but there is just nothing about it that stands out and it's still definitely more being a bad movie than a good one.

1 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Guy Pearce owns this character
Calicodreamin15 May 2020
I loved Guy Pearce as snow, he was the perfect mix of quippy and action hero. The supporting characters were well cast and well acted. The storyline itself was unique and interesting and had a solid twist ending. The cinematography was well done on the still shots, but the CGI scenes played out weird. The main characters were lacking a bit of chemistry. But overall a solid action movie.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
"Die Hard In Outer Space" meets "Escape From New York"
george.schmidt8 May 2012
LOCKOUT (2012) *** Guy Pearce, Maggie Grace, Vincent Regan, Joseph Gilgun, Peter Stormare, Lennie James, Jacky Ido, Anne-Solenne Hatte. Better-than-it-should-be mash up of "Die Hard In Outer Space" meets "Escape From New York" could've been the pitch for this fun and over-the-top sci-fi actioner set in the near future with glib, laconic Pearce (channeling Snake Plissken & John McClane) , a wrongly charged espionage patsy, enlisted to rescue the President's daughter aboard an overrun interstellar prison with the violent inmates running the asylum/hostage scenario with the usual flare-ups of hostility, oil/water chemistry with his sleek charge (a game Grace) and the time-clock ticking away. Revved up action thanks to filmmaking team James Mather & Stephen St. Leger (collaborating with filmmaker Luc Besson on the congested screenplay) and a plucky anti-hero make things more soothe-sailing for the bumpy ride ahead.
2 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Fun, if daft, romp in space prison
neil-47627 April 2012
It is 2079. Snow (Guy Pearce) is an ex-CIA and now freelance operative (and terminal smartass, with a facetious answer for everything), who is caught up in a doublecross which sees him framed for murder. He is sentenced to 30 years in stasis aboard an orbiting prison. Just before he is due to be dealt with, there is a riot which leads to the President's daughter (among others) being taken hostage. Snow is tasked with rescuing her.

As the synopsis may suggest, there are no major surprises in this movie - it is a straightforward break-in-to-break-out affair, albeit set in orbit rather than in an earthbound prison. As well as Pearce's wisecracking hero, Maggie Grace's heroine is spunky or helpless as the plot demands, and we also have the powers that be (corrupt and foolish, of course), vile rioting criminals (Vincent Cassel very good as their leader, and Joseph Gilgun wonderfully repellent as his psycho idiot brother), a suspenseful countdown and a twist or two in the tail.

This does not stand up to any sort of serious examination, of course (particularly little things like the laws of physics), but that doesn't matter. It is a romp, and rather good fun. I enjoyed it.
2 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Dumb But Fun Sci-Fi Thriller Almost Completely Ruined By Its Ending
evanston_dad29 December 2012
I was with "Lockout" up to a point. It's a dumb movie, but it offers some mindless sci-fi action and a winning performance by Guy Pearce, who may just be the most versatile actor alive. He plays an ex-CIA agent in a near-future version of the U.S. who's sent to rescue the President's daughter (Maggie Grace) from mayhem on an experimental space prison when all of the convicts escape and take over the facility. The film establishes early on that it's not going to take itself very seriously, and Pearce, beefed up (this guy looks awesome!) and grizzled out, sets the tone nicely with his acerbic one-liners. Everything is far out and completely unbelievable, but suspending disbelief is par for the course with sci-fi, so I could forgive a lot. But then the film's ending goes completely haywire and the stunt the filmmakers use to get Pearce and Grace back down to Earth and safety stretches the limits of credibility past the snapping point, making an already dumb movie too dumb to tolerate. The writing and direction in about 30 seconds manages to undo all of the goodwill the preceding hour and a half of the film had built up with its audience.

As if that weren't bad enough, the film keeps going, long past the point where it feels like it should have ended. I won't go as far as to say it's not worth seeing if you're in the mood for some mindless brain freeze, but just be prepared for one of the most jaw-droppingly dumb climaxes you've ever seen in a movie.

Grade: C+
Derivative... among other things
Wizard-820 July 2012
During the opening credits for "Lockout", it is stated, "Based on an original idea from Luc Besson". This is laughable, because anyone would be able to tell you that the movie rips off both "Escape From New York" (prisoner hired to break into a prison to rescue a high profile hostage) as well as the sequel "Escape From L.A." (rescuing the president's daughter.) Actually, I wouldn't have minded the unoriginal story had it been well executed, but it mostly isn't. For a budget of just $20 million, it sometimes looks impressive and more expensive than it actually is. But more often than not it has a strange European look, wrong for a movie taking place in the United States and a U.S. space station. Also, frequently during the action sequences things are so frantic and blink-and-you'll-miss-it that you'll be utterly confused. But the biggest thing that sinks the movie is Guy Pearce. His character is given such obnoxious lines of dialogue, made worse by Pearce saying them in the most obnoxious way possible. Hard to believe, but this movie makes "Escape From L.A." look good in comparison.
0 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.