Parents GuideAdd to guide
Showing all 17 items
|MPAA||Rated PG for sequences of fantasy action and violence, including frightening images|
Sex & Nudity
- The scene where Maleficent wakes up, finding out she has been drugged and that King Stephan has cut off her wings has been discussed as an analogy for rape. Younger viewers will not pick up on this but older viewers may.
- Man kisses a woman in in the shadow. Short
- The three fairies...two of them wear low cut, revealing necklines but in human form, only the blonde has a very low cut neckline. Different shots of Maleficent reveal cleavage and when the crow is turned into a man, his shirt reveals part of his chest and top of his stomach. Also, various shots of the queen and attendees (at the castle to celebrate the baby's birth) have low cut necklines as well.
- A bird is magically transformed into a naked man, but we only see him from the waist up.
Violence & Gore
- Several intense battle sequences.
- Intense scenes where knights fight a dragon, and a battle between knights and tree-people.
- A winged character's wings are severed; we do not see them being cut away but we see the stumps and traces of blood the next day.
- Knights confront their king after losing a battle; their faces show burns and bloody cuts.
- Fairy characters are painfully burned by the touch of iron, but the burns quickly fade.
- A character falls to his death. No gore is shown.
- Words such as 'beastie', and ugly are used to describe characters.
Alcohol, Drugs & Smoking
- The main character is drugged and put to sleep.
Frightening & Intense Scenes
- Maleficent's appearance can frighten younger viewers.
- Dark and intense images including monstrous creatures, a huge forest of thorns which comes to life, creature violence, cruel use of magic, and medieval combat.
- Some areas in the magical world have a certain 'dark' feel to them, but not scary.
- A winged creature is tricked into drinking a sleeping potion, and her wings are severed and taken away while she sleeps. When she wakes and realizes what has happened she screams over and over in pain and horror. While the connection is not made explicitly in the film, it has been commented that the symbolisms between this incident and rape are very clear - it is possible this imagery would be disturbing to those affected by those subjects.
Sex & Nudity
- A young man kisses a sleeping princess on the lips in an attempt to break a curse.