What to Expect When You're Expecting (2012) Poster

A brain off comedy that is a little out of convention
Gordon-1113 September 2012
This film is about several couples who are expecting babies. They run into various troubles and emotional rollercoasters while preparing themselves for parenthood.

"What to Expect When You're Expecting" is a lighthearted comedy that makes you laugh, just like what is advertised. Of course, the way to parenthood is not just happy and joyful, so the film also realistically portrays the unglamorous side of expecting mothers. Some of these are presented as crude toilet humour, while others are presented as emotional rollercoasters that will touch your heart. I like the fact that characters in "What to Expect When You're Expecting" do not have a smooth breezy path, but face adversity like in real life. It is an interesting comedy for expecting mothers.
12 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
deserves a higher rating in my opinion
miarae21 June 2012
Honestly, the reason for seeing this movie was nothing more and nothing less than the desire to go to the cinema with a friend. With some other movies not interesting her, it was between The Lucky Ones and this one, both movies that have a low score on IMDb. I was pleasantly surprised, however, with not just the actors in the movie but also with the dialogue and chemistry on screen, which seemed very natural. I definitely enjoyed watching it and will most likely end up buying it on DVD; not even the fact that Chris Rock was in it bothered me, whereas I usually can't stand him. I have to applaud Jennifer Lopez too, I never thought much of her as an actress, but I found myself sympathizing with her and liking her portrayal of the character. Over all, I find that this movie deserves a higher score than it's currently got on IMDb.
34 out of 47 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Completely shallow, generic and boring movie
vasot023 June 2012
Contrarily to this adapted verbose title, one shouldn't 'expect' much that is, unless literary desecration is in your hand of cards--if that is the game you're looking to play, then consider this mess a winner.

Inspired by Heidi Murkoff's multimillion-selling-self-help-book for expectant mothers--holding the same name--'What to Expect', the film, will be much less prolific. Obviously a lot more work, and money, towards getting an ensemble cast--as opposed to garnering producers with emphasis on purpose and ingenuity--the filmmakers, here, create a product that is not the least bit unique it's a generic label laden with followed genre-specific clichés, bawdy humor, and disjointed direction.

Despite its few laughs, known cast, and affecting hints towards pregnancy, 'What to Expect' is an over-packed piece of "luggage" that becomes too frustrating to haul around. An immersion too tediously futile and not nearly enough funny. Expect worse...
45 out of 66 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Oh gee, what a waste of money.
Jimmy Collins18 June 2012
I saw the trailer for What To Expect When You're Expecting and I thought it looked funny, and more than 1 of the cast members happen to be favorites of mine, but pretty much 20 minutes in, I knew I was going to hate this movie. Out of all of the mega cast movies of late, this is indeed the weakest of all of them. This movie is meant to be a comedy, but I didn't laugh once or even come remotely close to laughing, the cast, some if which are rather talented never get a chance to prove themselves as every scene is so ridiculously short, and the script, talk about a cheese overload, and this is written by Shauna Cross, who wrote a terrifically funny script for Whip It, it's a shame none of the heart, wit and humor that was in that could transfer to this film.

The one saving grace this film has is the always wonderful Anna Kendrick, her character is the only one worth mentioning, and one particular scene of hers nearly brought me to tears, she's honestly the only person to stand out in this movie, in fact the storyline between Anna and Chace Crawford would probably make a good film on it's own, without having to compete for screen time with 4 other plot lines, I'm sure Anna's next movie will leave this as a distant memory.

Honestly I just can't even explain how silly this movie is, it's best to just see it and surely you will see for yourself. Just wait for the DVD, giving birth is probably less painful than watching this. Mega thumbs down.
34 out of 51 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
No great expectations from this pregnant pause
gregeichelberger14 May 2012
It's "New Year's Eve" in the neo-natal unit; "Valentine's Day" with a uterus; "Knocked Up" times five. Unfortunately, that's about the best I can write about this film featuring the ups and downs of having a baby.

In an attempt to jump on the multi-story, large cast bandwagon, director Kirk Jones (the charming "Waking Ted Devine," the horrid "Nanny McPhee") - with the assistance of writers Shauna Cross and Heather Hach ("Freaky Friday") - give us a few sparkling comedic moments, only to ruin it all with depressing dramatic letdowns and cinema's most predictable conclusion.

Then again, some of the heavier scenes are actually more (unintentionally) hilarious than the lighter ones. And while there is nothing unusual about comedies with dramatic overtones, this movie is all over the map, going from pure joy in some sequences to outright horror and heartbreaking grief in the next one.

Like "Hamlet," the movie suffers from an inability to make up its mind.

With a cast featuring Elizabeth Banks ("The 40-Year Old Virgin," "Man On a Ledge"), Cameron Diaz ("Something About Mary," "Killers"), Dennis Quaid ("Cheaper By the Dozen," "The Express"), Jennifer Lopez ("The Back-Up Plan"), Chris Rock ("Death At a Funeral"), Ben Falcone ("Bridesmaids"), Brooklyn Decker ("Just Go With It"), Wendi McLendon-Covey ("Bridesmaids," "Reno: 911" TV series), Rebel Wilson ("Ghost Rider," "Bridesmaids"), Anna Kendrick ("50/50," "Scott Pilgrim vs. the World"), Rob Huebel ("I Love You, Man") and Thomas Lennon ("Hot Tub Time Machine"), among others, one figures the humor quotient would rate high in this endeavor.

One would mostly be wrong, however.

Plot has five Atlanta couples: Evan (Matthew Morrison, "Glee" TV series) and Jules (Diaz); Alex (Rodrigo Santoro, "Post Grad") and Holly (Lopez); Ramsey (Quaid) and Skyler (Decker); Gary (Falcone) and Wendy (Banks); and Marco (Chace Crawford, "Gossip Girls" TV series) and Rosie (Kendrick), all of whom are in various stages of pregnancy and/or child expectations.

Evan and Jules have hooked up while involved on the show, "Celebrity Dance Factor," (she throws up on live television after the final episode), and now constantly bicker about whether or not to circumcise the baby boy-to-be.

Gary, who was on a fat-loss TV show, and children's author Wendy are now expecting after years of trying; but also discover that Gary's neglectful, NASCAR driver father, Ramsey, and his young wife are going to have twins. The sad-sack, wimpy, whining son is one-upped by the old man - again.

Ad man Alex and professional photographer Holly are looking to adopt an Ethiopian newborn; while Marco and Rosie - who work in competitive food trucks - have a one-night stand. Somehow, all of these characters end up connected with each other, no matter how far-fetched these situations become.

And for couples having their first children, there is little chemistry or real love exhibited herewithin. The emotional depth is as shallow as a saucer and just as inconsequential.

Most of the yuks here are from Wendy, who wanted "the glow" of pregnancy, but discovers the aches, pains and uncontrollable bodily functions are paramount (her "mother-in-law," however, seems to have no trouble, at all).

A few more - rather uncomfortable - laughs are solicited from Janice (Wilson), Wendy's idiot assistant (who honestly gets more snickers due to her weight than her jokes, sad to say).

The movie's worst crime, though, is Alex's association with a group of depressing new dads, including Rock, Huebel and Lennon, who meet at a park each day and spout unwanted and unnecessary advice to him about being a father.

Few of these scenes are funny - and a running gag of one of the men's children tripping, falling and being hit in the head with full beer cans - is simply dreadful.

A herky-jerky film which lacks a fluid, coherent story, as well as any semblance of pacing, aborts what could have been a much better movie and will certainly give many viewers sympathy and - most likely - labor pains for its 110-minute running time.
30 out of 46 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
An Insult to Mothers and Especially Fathers
danew138 September 2012
Take films such as New Year's Eve and Valentine's Day, but remove any continuity and romance, replacing it with an attempt at suburban farce in a scene of mass parenthood and that describes What to Expect...the only thing is I wasn't expecting such bad big budget, big cast film. Yet, I should have known after seeing a turkey like New Year's Eve.

The worst part of this film was something that liberal Hollywood loves, from TV adverts to movies, the denigration of the American man.

Talk about role reversal...according to this mess. all women do is have kids...its the men that raise them, in tight knit groups...virtually every guy in this group is totally henpecked and submissive to their wives.

The only decent romantic story line was that of a young woman who has a miscarriage and misses out of the man she has longed to love...yet, her story is relegated to mere brief sound-bites as the film jumps around from couple to couple and always winding up back with the inadequate group of chaotic husbands....a waste of time.
10 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Slick, well acted, but in the end a bit empty...
Movie Geek25 May 2012
What to Expect When You're Expecting (2012)

Director: Kirk Jones. Cast: Cameron Diaz, Jennifer Lopez, Elizabeth Banks, Chace Crawford, Anna Kendrick, Matthew Morrison, Dennis Quaid, Chris Rock.

Don't ask me what possessed me to go and watch this film. In my defence I can tell you that I had seen everything else at my local multiplex and I had 2 hours to spare. Also the cast seemed impressive enough... and, to top it all up, my wife is pregnant, so I thought at least I would fit its target audience just perfectly.

To be completely honest I was expecting (sorry about the pun) something a lot worse: this is one of those average ensemble comedies where, as always some of the stories and some of the characters are more successful than others but in the end they are so many of them that if you are a parent or preparing to be one, you're bound to find a something to like... Other than that, this is all pure middle-class Hollywood, pretty slick, light-hearted but with enough sweet-and-sour moments to make it feel like it's actually about something. Obviously at the end of the day it's all rather forgettable, and it's actually a great shame, because the acting talent a shown here is impressive (surprisingly even Jennifer Lopez showcases a nuanced performance unlike much we'd seen before) both directing and editing are potentially quite skilled at doing what they do and the few good moments here and there give you a little glimpse of what it could have been.

The main problem is that the film is just not funny enough to be able to be a crowd pleaser and looses itself among the too many subplots, some of which are way off the main subject, to be able to become a classic (the golf cart chase sequence is one of the lowest and unfunny points and the father group sequences, despite Chris Rock, are just too indulgent, over the top and long). However having said all this, I must confess, even though I laughed very little, I found myself moved a couple of times: oh dear, it really must be the hormones (I think they call it sympathetic pregnancy).

6/10 wp.me/p19wJ2-yv
17 out of 26 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Don't expect much when you're expecting
reggieschneider119 May 2012
Well... don't expect much. The plot is thin, predictable and the movie is simply not funny. My girlfriend roped me in -- so I went. The cast was likable... but everything else about the movie I couldn't bear. That said, this is a sure fire girl film that your lady love... especially if she has baby on her mind. The cast is very easy on the eyes.. especially the gorgeous Brooklyn Decker who is certainly bound to a be a big star. Jennifer Lopez was not very good or funny. My favorite characters in the film were Chris Rock and Anna Kendrick who are always funny and spot on in their roles. Great date film... but GUYS, beware -- you are in for a tedious night.
30 out of 50 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Another Self-Help Book Gets the Romcom Treatment
Chris_Pandolfi18 May 2012
"What to Expect When You're Expecting" is another unfortunate example of what happens when real self-help book advice is applied to the plot of a romantic comedy. Having just a few weeks ago suffered through the joyless "Think Like a Man," we have yet again a strained, unfocused, badly developed relationship farce that focuses more on slapstick gags and verbal jabs than on genuinely funny scenarios. This is a shame because I have no doubt that pregnancy and parenthood can in fact be quite funny – that is, in the hands of filmmakers who have a deeper understanding of actual people. There is virtually no truth to any of the characters in this movie. They're more like byproducts from a particularly bad sitcom pilot. A select few are so bizarre and shockingly out of place that they seem to have been transported from an alternate universe.

Taking place in mostly in Atlanta, the film takes cues from recent romcoms like "Valentine's Day" and "New Year's Eve" by dividing itself into several interconnecting vignettes. All of them feature couples on the verge of having a baby. There's Jules (Cameron Diaz), a trainer on a weight-loss reality show obviously modeled after "The Biggest Loser," and her boyfriend, Evan (Matthew Morrison), a dancer on a reality show obviously modeled after "Dancing with the Stars." The two met when Jules was the celebrity contestant. Although she's pregnant, her can-do attitude motivates her to continue as a trainer. It also inflates her superiority complex, as she believes only she knows what's best for her baby. The biggest argument she and Evan have is over whether or not their son should be circumcised. Discover for yourself who's for it and who's against it.

There's Wendy (Elizabeth Banks), the owner of a baby boutique who has just published a kids book on breastfeeding, and her husband, Gary (Ben Falcone), who was once a contestant on Jules' weight loss show. Wendy is not feeling the glow of pregnancy; she's constantly in some kind of physical pain, and because her hormones are all out of whack, she has become overly emotional. Gary is constantly in competition with his father, a former racecar driver named Ramsey (Dennis Quaid). As it turns out, Ramsey's new wife, a much younger woman named Skyler (Brooklyn Decker), is pregnant with twins. Even in the advanced stages of her pregnancy, Skyler remains gorgeous and unburdened with physical ailments such as a weak bladder, swollen ankles, and an aching back. It's almost as if she's showing off to Wendy.

There's Holly (Jennifer Lopez), a freelance photographer who specializes in baby portraits, and her husband, Alex (Rodrigo Santoro), a music producer. Unable to conceive, they decide to adopt a baby from Ethiopia. Alex isn't sure he's ready to be a father. Seeking advice, he becomes privy to a secretive band of dads known as The Dudes (Chris Rock, Thomas Lennon, Amir Talai, and Rob Huebel), who walk around pushing strollers and carrying infants in baby slings. Their two rules of conduct are: (1) Whatever The Dudes talk about must stay between them; and (2) there can be no judging each other for "the stuff that just happens" to their kids. In other words, no squealing about obvious signs of parental irresponsibility. For some unknown reason, all four of them idolize a muscle-bound jogger named Davis (Joe Manganiello), who wows them every time he does shirtless pull-ups.

The single weakest subplot features two young food truck owners locked in a turf war. This would be Rosie (Anna Kendrick) and Marco (Chace Crawford). It's a reunion of sorts; they dated in high school, although Marco's reputation as a player repeatedly got in the way. Decency prevents me from giving away too much of this subplot, although I will say that, given the fact that this film is supposed to be about the ups and downs of traditional pregnancy, these characters stick out like a sore thumb. They would have been much better off in a film devoted entirely to their relationship – provided, of course, that it was left in the capable hands of intelligent filmmakers.

All the births happen on the same night and in the same hospital. I can't begrudge the director or screenwriters a little dramatic license. I can, however, blame them for allowing drastic shifts in tone; just when we think it's all about desperately broad birthing gags, we're suddenly broadsided by a near-tragic turn of events. If you're not skilled enough to walk the fine line between comedy and drama in a single scene, it's probably best you just stick to one or the other. The problem with "What to Expect When You're Expecting" is that neither genre is handled particularly well. Any potential bouts of laughter or tears are at the mercy of manufactured scenarios that no couple or parent is likely to find relatable. A good comedy knows how to connect with its audience. A bad one does goofy things with only the hope that someone will laugh. Guess which category this movie falls into?

-- Chris Pandolfi (www.atatheaternearyou.net)
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
What to expect when you're expecting:simple and unexpectedly nice
jsharma19 May 2012
Director Kirk Jones (liked his other movie too, Everybody's fine) did a good job again directing a simple and well known concept pertaining to the process of pregnancy and child birth : takes a man and a woman to bring a baby into this world. This movie is mainly about how every woman and man go through the tribulations of this aspect of life's journey differently. Cameron Diaz as Jules , fitness guru ( a la Jillian Michaels of Biggest loser) is in great shape and is happy to be impregnated by Evan (matthew Morrison). Elizabeth banks,Wendy, encourages people to breastfeed babies and goes through a very tough pregnancy and has full support from her husband Gary ( Ben Falcone from Bridesmaids and TV shows: Yes, dear and Curb your enthusiasm). Brooklyn Decker as the young wife of Dennis Quaid( father of Gary) is very naturally young and has a very easy twin pregnancy. Anna Kendrick(Rosie) loses her baby , pregnant after just one night stand with Marco (Chace Crawford). Rosie and Marco are sad after losing baby. Rosie has a very positive attitude and has confidence that because she is young she will definitely have many more chances at pregnancy. On the other hand, Jennifer Lopez as Holly is ready for adopting Ethiopian baby after going through several attempts at making babies in different ways. She feels miserable after losing contract as a photographer and feels like a loser. All the actors did well. I enjoyed watching Elizabeth banks and Brooklyn Decker(Just go with it) the most. I like Kendrick and she does well in any role (Up in the air, 50/50). Cameron Diaz and Jennifer Lopez did well. Among the male actors ,Ben Falcone was convincing as a very supportive husband of Banks. I felt the slap when Banks slapped Falcone demanding pain medications during labor.... Pregnancies are tough. No wonder Mother's day and father's day are special....
22 out of 39 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Twenty floating heads can't make you laugh but a couple of actors can grab your heart
napierslogs18 May 2012
I was expecting to come away with a sassy name for this new genre, the Hollywood-ensemble rom-com, but there was nothing clever to provide any inspiration in "What to Expect When You're Expecting". The best line that I have heard to describe this comes from a fellow IMDb user, gregeichelberger, "It's "New Year's Eve" in the neo-natal unit; "Valentine's Day" with a uterus; "Knocked Up" times five." That sums up the whole thing perfectly.

The Hollywood ensemble is this frustrating trend to load the movie with as many stars as possible, so you have only floating heads and no actual characters. Surprisingly, one of the worst offenders is the similarly-themed indie dramedy "Conception" (2010) where we get to follow 9 (yes, 9!) different couples. This movie isn't as bad, there are only 5 main couples.

The intertwining of them is very limited. The four other girls basically all watch Jules (Cameron Diaz) on her reality TV shows. The timing, on the other hand, is all in sync. They get pregnant at the same time, start showing at the same time, and give birth at the same time. The point is of course that you don't know what to expect since each girl's pregnancy is different and experiences it differently.

Jules is going to control it – whether her partner tags along or not; Holly (Jennifer Lopez) is going to lie her way through adoption if that's what it takes; Wendy (Elizabeth Banks) wants the joy but gets the worst; Skyler (Brooklyn Decker) is going to make it perfect, just like herself; Rosie (Anna Kendrick) doesn't know what she's going to do. If the movie had left it at that, it would have been cute, romantic, funny and heartfelt, and possibly empowering.

But then they introduced "the dude pack" which is even worse than it sounds. They are a group of fathers, led by Chris Rock, who are given the stupidest sounding lines to try and make funny. It was painful how unfunny it was. Imagine if you will, a Hollywood writer being paid to come up with never-before-said lines to turn into popular catch-phrases. The way "Horrible Bosses" was almost successful (but ultimately not) with Sudeikis' "I would like to bend her over a barrel and show her the fifty states". That was exactly the case with the "comedy" in this movie. All of their lines were met with a few unimpressed question marks on faces but never any laughs.

However, the mothers-to-be were pretty good. Some were on the boring side, but two were able to deliver enough humour and heart to almost make up for the entirety of "What to Expect When You're Expecting". I don't know what it is about Anna Kendrick but she makes my heart melt every time she's on the screen. Extremely cute, in a relatable kind of way, and able to hold our hearts, she was the one that got us through this movie. Elizabeth Banks was able to go as over-the-top as only pregnant movie heroines are allowed to and gave it her all to deliver the comedy of what not to expect. Of course, it wasn't quite enough because we do know exactly what to expect.
14 out of 24 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Movie can't decide it it is a comedy or a drama!
rogerdob21 May 2012
This movie cannot decide if it should be a comedy or a serious drama. For its entire 110 minutes, the movie goes back and forth between straight silly comedy to straight serious drama...it was very annoying. The book that it is "based" upon is a light-hearted upbeat book about being pregnant...the movie should have just stayed a comedy.

The characters in the film were all annoying...The Chase Crawford character was completely annoying and completely unnecessary. The Chris Rock character was the worst of the film...he played a street wise character who enjoyed hanging out with a bunch of yuppie dads...huh??? The Elizabeth Banks character was the only one that came close to being one that was likable.
17 out of 32 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Dumb high school humor written for adults who don't want to think.
peelerboy24 September 2012
Even though I only managed to watch about 70% of this movie before turning it off, it still managed to make me feel as though my IQ dropped several points merely by watching an hour of it. All the funniest scenes were shown in the trailer, which is how we were convinced to watch it. Even the brilliant comedic capabilities of Chris Rock fell flat with this flick's horrendous writing. All the jokes were targeted at the intelligence level of dense teenagers, yet the subject matter was for those more mature. And whoever they hired to establish the mood of each scene with lighting must have come fresh off the daily soap opera boat. Every scene was over-lit and flat in appearance. This movie was a beginning-to-end failure.
15 out of 29 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
What to Expect When You're Expecting (2012) - Not Expecting to Expect Anything Good in This!
nickmesafilms1 September 2012
You know what I expect? I expect better movies! "What to Expect When You're Expecting" is once again another ensemble rom-com that's basically just a bunch of short stories glued together in a full-length motion picture. You know, with a cast like this, this movie would have been better off with a title like "What to Expect When You're 'Selling Out'". I wouldn't say that this movie was "god-awful", I suppose that maybe a married couple might enjoy something here, but this is still an unoriginal, predictable, and unmemorable piece of "nothing". Director Kirk Jones has provided to give us a giant predictable "sell-out" that does nothing but go with the usual clichés. In movies like this, we usually get a bunch of individual stories packed in one movie, some that we care about, and some that we don't care about. Each story talks about a group of couples who are about to either have a baby, adopt a baby, or deciding whether to have the baby or not. We've seen these stories plenty of times before, so there's already a clue for the audience to know what will happen next. There are some chuckle-inducing moments, and I cared for a few story lines, but it's just a shame because there are so many likable actors in this movie, so this might be considered as a waste of talent. Cameron Diaz plays a weight loss contestant on a reality show who's expecting a newborn with Matthew Morrison, Jennifer Lopez takes the "Angelina Jolie" perspective to adopt an African baby, Elizabeth Banks plays a pregnant woman with tons of anxiety problems on the torture of pregnancy, and what do you know, Chris Rock is actually the leader of a group of "baby daddies". These story lines are probably careless, and mostly not funny, if you ask me! The only two story lines I actually enjoyed involves Anna Kendrick as a young woman who is expecting a baby after a certain one-night stand, and Dennis Quaid as a NASCAR legend who's expecting a new baby with his much younger, and ridiculously hot wife, played by Brooklyn Decker. I actually need to score this movie some points for that! But either way, I wasn't surprised! This movie is exactly what everyone thought it was going to be, so I guess I can say I'm not really that upset with this movie. But "What to Expect When You're Expecting" is not worth watching in any way, but if you're the type of person who enjoys these type of movies, my advice to you...wait for rental! I didn't expect that remark to pop out of my mouth. "What to Expect When You're Expecting", in my review, "predictable and mediocre, but overall unimpressive".
8 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Shallow, predictable mess
kosmasp31 July 2012
You can still have a good time watching it, especially if you're more open minded and go in expecting nothing I suppose. But situations happening in the movie are not really depicted that funny. When people talk about "timing" or rather bad timing, they could use this as an example of how it doesn't work.

Looking at the talent at work you do wonder, but it is possible. I really enjoyed movies like New Years Eve, Valentines Day, even though they were shallow too. But they were still sweet in a good sense. Most of this movie just doesn't work. One of the few things that almost worked, was Brooklyn Deckers character. She brought some sass into it. But even her character falls apart most of the time. Cameron Diaz might be as unfunny as she can get, same goes for Elizabeth Banks.

Only woman who almost saves this mess entirely is Anna Kendrick. But even her character goes from hi-to-low in a split second, making you shake your head so hard in disbelief, that it might actually fall off. And her characters resolution ... don't get me started on that.

So while the movie tries very hard to be sweet (and partly achieves it), it is more annoying than anything else. I am a sucker for movie that are going in that direction, but they have to deserve it too, and this movie just doesn't.
8 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Nothing like the trailer portrays...
hell-cat-14 June 2012
The trailer portrays this movie to be a light hearted comedy about pregnancy, which is what made me go see this movie. This movie is not funny, all the funny parts are in the trailer so I feel completely fooled into seeing the movie. It isn't a drama either as I find the serious bits very depressing and they don't quite fit with the movie. Characters are extremely annoying and there is nothing in this movie that would ever make you feel good about being pregnant. I actually think pregnancy is portrayed very badly in this movie as the characters who are so desperately trying to get pregnant are really one dimensional, but I have issues with people wanting to have kids just because they "want" them anyway. The whole ordeal is a bit cartoonish here also. I'm so glad that I didn't drag my boyfriend to see this one as I don't think he'd ever forgive me.
5 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Interesting Movie from my standpoint!
mlyfe21 May 2012
I guess people really thought this was going to be a full comedy, and I don't blame them. It was kinda advertised as such. It's an interesting mix, but definitely not 50/50. It's way more dramatic but does give a rather quirky look at pregnancy and that 9-month process. I didn't have huge expectations going into it but it kept me engaged and that was a surprise. It did have some touching moments and I did really get into the characters and their different dramas. I liked the way they showed the connection between these women, especially since *SPOILERS* they're not all friends and don't even know each other, save for one exception. Yeah, you'd think they were all buddies given the poster, but they're not. The interactions are mostly between the individual women and their individual scenarios with their boyfriends/husbands, which are ironically happening coincidentally. That was a real interesting way to portray this drama. I enjoyed it. It's obviously not for everyone, but that doesn't really make it "bad." 8 out of 10!
5 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Want my Two Hours Back
chiggerdude112 June 2012
I can't remember the last time I've even written a movie review. Usually I watch a film, either enjoy it or not, and leave it at that.

But, this movie is so poorly written that it will stand out in my mind for years to come as one of the worst films to ever make it to the big screen. Gender of the writer(s) should never be apparent in any composition. Unfortunately, the script was 110% female composed and this was apparent well before the credits rolled. Dialogue from any male actor was both contrived and frustrating to watch. I actually poked myself in the eye while watching; it was less painful.

Do not waste your time. Go see any other movie but this.
8 out of 15 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
I Am An Optimist.....I Expected A Movie
werefox0830 May 2012
What to Expect When Your Expecting is one of those movies that is too clever to be funny---too boring to be interesting and too bad to be true. It makes me think....directors in Hollywood make one of these because there easy to make, and because they truly believe that the average I.Q. of Rom.Com.(is this a Rom.Com. ??) fans is between 95 and 99. The jokes ?? would be unacceptable in ANY Sienfeld episode. Most of the acting is not what you will be expecting....its self conscious and embarrassing. The performances of Chris Rock and Dennis Quaid save this from being completely disastrous. This is a movie you watch when you ----need to cut the grass. Its a film that dating couples will go to see....and feel....O.K. about it. Infatuation is a strange thing.
8 out of 15 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Truly execrable
Argemaluco12 December 2012
What to Expect When You're Expecting can be classified in the "self-help books turned into horrible films" category (along with He's Just Not That Into You), but it can also fit into the "multiple Hollywood stars trapped into a horrible film" category (along with New Year's Eve and He's Just Not That Into You). Nevertheless, the niche isn't very important, because the result is the same: a pathetic movie with many famous actors but a deplorable screenplay. So, this tedious adaptation fails on every single level: as a comedy, it's completely unfunny; and it doesn't respect the spirit of the book on which it was based, because it doesn't offer any advice or inspiration to the future mothers (with one exception: "pretty people also suffer").

In previous occasions, when Hollywood took books to the big screen, they were novels, comics or biographies...something with a story, characters, chronological flow, or similar elements of narrative art. However, "money calls money", so any successful book is currently susceptible to be adapted into a movie. The book What to Expect When You're Expecting has sold millions of copies, and it's been very useful for many families to face the difficulties of pregnancy (at least that's what I have been told). On the other hand, the film What to Expect When You're Expecting is a rehash of melodramatic clichés and romantic comedy formulas structured in a series of situation with a bad shape and null rhythm. The result is a film full of insipid dialogues and synthetic sentimentality which only provokes yawns.

I honestly can't find any positive element in What to Expect When You're Expecting, but at the same time, I admit the fact that I have a biological disadvantage and I can't evaluate the film from the point of view of someone who has lived (or is living) pregnancy. Who knows? The screenplay I found intolerable might hide valuable observations and amusing references to moms and future moms who might feel themselves identified with the characters of this film (after all, Cameron Diaz, Jennifer Lopez and Brooklyn Decker are faithful reflections of the average woman, right?). But from my personal experience, I can't recommend by any means this execrable piece of junk. And the worst thing of all is that What to Expect When You're Expecting establishes an unfortunate precedent to the adaptations of more books lacking of story. I can already imagine some Hollywood screenwriter trying to write "Handbook of iPhone: The Movie"...Katherine Heigl and Ashton Kutcher are two linguistic geniuses who meet each other playing Words with Friends; they hate each other on the beginning, but their rivalry becomes into a romance; Julia Roberts and Bradley Cooper accidentally exchange telephones at a café, and they attempt to meet each other following the dates of their respective calendars; when they finally meet, they feel they know each other so well that they decide to get married; Patrick Dempsey is a lawyer who sends an innocent text message to the judge Halle Berry, but the "auto correct" acts up and makes it a sexually suggestive message; the judge makes him arrest, and the lawyer must defend his innocence at court...even though that will mean revealing his love for Berry; and finally, Robin Williams starts a trial for the State to recognize his marriage to Zooey Deschanel. The problem? Williams ends up falling in love with his lawyer Jennifer Garner, and Deschanel becomes so jealous that she will make Garner's life impossible.
3 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Just too Depressing!!!
jaxbubba28 October 2012
After watching the first 71 minutes of this 110 minutes of nauseatingly painful to watch and/or endure celluloid rubbish, what I was expecting was to put a gun in my mouth and pulling the trigger… Geez, Louise!!! Can someone please reassure me that something "GOOD" occurs once you find out that your: one-night stand, baby-mama, wife, step-mother, or "Dances with the Stars" booty call finds out that she's pregnant!!!??!!!

This is one of those ALL-Star multiple plot line movies in which the thread that binds all these stories together is so thin, it may as well not exist. We have the Hollywood couple of Cameron Diaz (Jules, the health guru) and Matthew Morrison (Evan, professional dancer) who meet on Evan's TV dance show and formed a relationship. Jules helped Gary (Ben Falcone) lose 100 pounds on her weight-loss show. Gary is married to Wendy (Elizabeth Banks), who finally gets pregnant after two years of trying. Gary's father is Ramsey (Dennis Quaid), an ex-professional car racer married to his young wife, Skyler (Brooklyn Decker) also pregnant, and probably the best thing this film has going for it. Skyler's cousin is Rosie (Anna Kendrick) who has a one night stand with Marco (Chace Crawford). And to round out this celebrity cast is professional baby photographer, Holly (Jennifer Lopez) and her boytoy Alex (Rodrigo Santoro) who cannot have a baby, are in the process of adopting.

The film is called "What to expect, when you're expecting"; however, the better name would be "What are the worst possible things to happen when you are expecting". I mean EVERY POSSIBLE BAD thing that could possibly go wrong during your pregnancy is definitely explored in this film!!! The film is such a downer in the first 71 minutes of this film; I felt that I needed to start taking anti-depressants just to make it to the end of this film. Though the film does start to lighten up in the final 39 minutes, by the time that occurs, the damaged is done, and it's WAY TOO LITTLE TOO LATE to save this "comedy" or rather "drama-medy" or just call it what it really is… a "tragedy" !!! I did not enjoy this film, not in the least!!! I was looking for an evening of light comedic entertainment, and was beatdown with bad relationship issues, a miscarriage, hemorrhoids, breast feeding, and the pro and cons of circumcisions… and I was NOT HAPPY!!!! Maybe there is an audience out there for this film; however, if you are a male 18-80, this film is not for you!!!! Do not be fooled, by the images of Chris Rock and others loaded down with every baby buggy bundle bobble on the market, and say, "Hey, that looks like it could be funny"…. Because IT'S NOT!!!!! However, it's definitely a chick flick, so view acoordingly.

SEE MORE OF MY REVIEWS ONFB @ "THE FARIS REEL"
4 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Don't Expect Much.
DarkVulcan2921 May 2012
I like a good all star cast, but in this case,the jokes that are giving here feel very forced, and like they are trying to hard. There are some descent performances by Anna Kendrick, and Dennis Quaid is also memorable in his role, but everybody else are all so overly written, to the point that they are not has memorable.

Several couples are expecting a baby, it shows how they are dealing with it in there own way. The Dudes Group serve little purpose to the film, the poster and the trailer make you feel like there a big part of the film, but not really, that is what annoyed me the most. It's not a bad movie, not great either.

And Brooklyn Decker is a little memorable has Quaids wife.
4 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
What to expect when your expecting a turd sandwich?
kuijiblob2 July 2012
What can I say about this comedy the creators clearly didn't care about? Well it exists.. Its generic.. It has celebrities that were considered the top of their game and attractive 10+ years ago? Other than that there really isn't much to say about the characters in this movie. Everyone does things and to be honest i had to slap myself in the face a couple times to even stay awake during its runtime. Which clocks in at about 110 minutes but feels like 4 hours. Is it the worst generic comedy filled with female celebrities past their prime that I've seen? No, but its somewhere in the middle. Its pretty ironic that the best acting in this movie comes from the person i hate the most. Jenny on the block actually displays some rather nice scenes and is way easier to relate to than any of the other actresses. Would i ever recommend this movie to anyone? No, but if your valium bottle is empty and when it comes out on video you might as well rent it to help you through a warm summer night of insomnia.
5 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A waste of a good cast
IheartCali588225 May 2012
I'm usually pretty good at weeding out the films that put all the best scenes in the trailer then leave you with a bunch of junk when you actually sit through it in its entirety. But I must admit I was fooled with this one. The daddy's group shown in the previews led me to believe this would be an edgy hilarious take on pregnancy. Considering Chris Rock was featured heavily in the clips, I thought it would be a safe bet. Unfortunately Chris Rock's " Dudes group" has minimal screen time, and even when they are on screen, the material is just not funny. If you've seen the trailer, you've seen the best this movie has to offer.

I guess the producers thought they had a huge summer blockbuster on their hands; I mean why else would they pay top dollar for so many A-list actors all in one film if they didn't believe the film would be successful enough to see a return on their investments? It really does baffle me because this film is nowhere near as good as it should be to warrant the hefty paychecks of this cast.

The film centers around a montage of female characters from early pregnancy to delivery (with the exception of Jennifer Lopez, she's looking to adopt). There's a young 20-something who hardly knows her beau at all, a woman who's been looking forward to conceiving with relish but finds the reality of it a rather unpleasant surprise, her younger mother-in-law who, annoyingly, seems to handle her pregnancy with hardly a glitch, and a fitness guru who thinks she can control the whole ordeal like she does her diet and exercise regimen.

Ironically, as a stand alone, any one of these couples stories could have been developed into a decent film. However the mingling of all these stories results in a shallow treatment that makes the film underwhelming. And while this wouldn't necessarily make or break it, add in the fact that the film is just not funny enough, and it's just a waste. Some genuine humor would have made the flaws forgivable. Consider this: The only funny scene of the film is about 20 seconds in duration, containing non-main characters who have about 10 minutes total screen time. Wendi McLendon-Covery (of Bridesmaids) and Thomas Lennon share the single funny scene in the film and they're hardly in the movie, which means.......you get the point.

Overall there is some potential with this film, it's just underdeveloped and badly written. I wouldn't pay to see it, but it's good way to while away a couple hours if you happen to catch it on TV. Other than that, steer clear. This coming from a chick who enjoys rom coms. Thumbs down.
5 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Not so great expectations
meeza4 June 2012
I expected at least a bit more creativity in the rom-com "What to Expect When You're Expecting". Sure I knew it is a prototype chick flick, and yes I am aware I am a male humanoid. But please, did you expect me to enjoy the ridiculous and humdrum scenes of this movie. Let me start with the embryonic part of this review. "What to Expect When You're Expecting" focuses on several stories of women and their pregnancies and adoptions. One story is of a reality-show host celebrity Jules who unexpectedly gets pregnant by another reality-show host celebrity Evan; their biggest quarrel is if the child should be circumcised; I don't know about you but that just does not cut it for me in sheer entertainment. Another one is the neurotic Wendy who has desperately tried to get pregnant with her formerly-obese hubby Gary; and low and behold the unexpected happens one day and Wendy is in pregoland. Yet another yawning story is of Holly, a photographer who is not able to get pregnant so decides to get all Angelina-Jolied by adopting an African orphan. And then there is Gary's father Ramsey who impregnates his young stunning wife Skyler, who goes through the pregnancy experience as if nothing; which is pretty close to what this movie was. And I am not even touching the part of a quartet of sugar park daddies who are part of a creepy paternal cult that walk their babies on strollers in the park; but what do you expect from Director Kirk Jones' dismal film. The only story that I found semi-appealing was of young Rosie and Marco; Rosie unexpectedly gets pregnant from a one-night stand experience from the Don de Marco, and it authentically incorporates within their relationship. But this movie in the end, beginning, and middle did not even have one ounce of creativity, no thanks to Shauna Cross and Heather Hach's mechanical screenplay. The cast of this movie decided not to labor it too much with tons of silly performances from the likes of Cameron Diaz, Jennifer Lopez, Chris Rock, Elizabeth Banks, and Dennis Quaid; many of these established actors have been known to deliver worthy performances; but not in this delivery. I did think that the up- and-coming Anna Kendrick was genuine with her performance as Rosie. And Rebel Wilson was a rebel with a cause with her comedic performance as Wendy's assistant Janice. Nevertheless, I rather go through a cesarean section then revisit the awful sections of "What to Expect When You're Expecting". It is my birth right to proclaim this movie as one of the worst movies of 2012. ** Needs Improvement
4 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this