Amina (2021) Poster

(2021)

Another good potential ruined by bad writing
Snootz9 November 2021
If you don't have a good script to start with, don't make the movie.

This is a historic drama. As one watches, the potential for the story is there. Some people will claim this has bad acting, but remember where this is filmed and don't expect Hollywood mannerisms from that part of the world. The acting is true to that culture.

The writing and story though... that was pretty poor, as was the directing and choreography. Fake fighting, punches being visibly pulled, swords slowly and barely connecting, the "sword to the side" trope, etc. Not that I care to see realistic battles, but there are non-gory ways to present battles that aren't obviously fake.

Some of the story is presented well. The pain and suffering of slavery. The subterfuge of betrayals. But surprisingly, the main character herself is about as two-dimensional as they come. The King was a more interesting presentation. It seems a great deal was left out of the story, but it's hard to tell what since I haven't studied that part of history. Basically, the story just falls flat with a really lazy ending.

I'm being generous in giving it 4 stars... and I do that mainly because of the unusual setting and the fact that it was moderately interesting all the way through. But when it comes to the end of the movie one realizes what a let-down the whole thing is. As far as a cinematic presentation and presentable story line goes, this fails to deliver.
5 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A good story ruined by a bad screenplay
rickard-207057 November 2021
This is a weird one. I can tell that it's a good story with several intrigues, but most of the scenes were terrible, and the fighting scenes in particular. The acting goes from stage actors to "I tried my best as an amateur".

What's surprising is the quality of the photo. Really sharp images with great color grading, and I can say the same thing about the score. I can tell that there is some budget behind the movie, with the costumes and all - the movie even got some descent enough CGI.

If a capable person would had gotten their hands on the script, and written a good screenplay, this would actually be something I would recommend to people. If a great screen play, then this would be a must watch. I had to watch the movie with the notion of what it could have been; with dreamy sequences, dramatic closeups, and voice overs telling thoughts over the scenery playing out in front of my eyes.

If you crave for a Nigerian fantasy flick, with inspiration from real events(?), then watch this one. Otherwise, just watch some Nollywood movie instead. At least you will have a laugh.
8 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Female lead with empathy and love
ssppetralli26 July 2022
Great story, presumable based on real events. It has everything. Featuring plenty female leads, however it would be great to see even more female 'extras as well'. Adventure, mystery, magic, empathy, love, leadership, slavery, darkness, cruelty, action, etc. And the movie treats topics like forced marriage, 'this is not a place for women' mentality, women can't lead or be in power, polygyny (multiple wife's), general discrimination towards women, and how it often takes a farther with only daughters to stop discrimination towards girls and women. I liked the movie a lot.
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
It could have been better if it had a better screenplay.
Geeta3522 June 2022
I found this movie interesting on several levels. It had a strong female lead, and a good supporting cast. The villain was comical, and I was glad when he got his just desert: death at the hands of Queen Amina and her supporters. The epitaph of her reign was informative and made up for all the flaws in the storyline and direction. Watch and learn, you'll be glad you did.
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Great film
jdd-2230218 November 2021
Of course, it's not the best film ever, but it's best than many Hollywood films.

Landscapes are gorgeous, colors are beautiful, story is not that bad.

Worth seeing.
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Love it
stoudemire-8257116 November 2021
The movie is great.

Sure the fights could be done better but I see this like a work in progress.

The storyline is good, Acting not bad at all, i have seen some Hollywood's production with horrible acting(example Divergente).

The casting, directing was ok .

This movie is a solid 6.
4 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
My goodness
ruud-356 November 2021
How bad can a movie be? Probably the worst acting ever in a movie which seems to be made with enough money. Netflix what were you thinking? More viewers in Africa?
6 out of 15 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Bring the fight
kosmasp7 January 2022
It's almost funny that someone who really likes this (even says loves it), still only gives it 6 out of 10 stars. I reckon that is saying something, yes? On the other hand, as you can see by the rating of many, it plays along the general line of what most think of the movie.

Having said that, maybe you will more enticed and more engaged in the story than others. That is always tough to predict. Overall the story is not a bad one and there is even some action here. Still it did leave me quite cold and not caring too much about the main characters. The actors still do a good job - it is just tough for me to actually relate.

Have seen worse, have seen better too.
0 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Very disappointed
onurucler128 November 2021
Fighting scenes are like a joke. Effects are horrible cz there are none. A great story ruined by really bad writing and really bad acting. Really disappointed.
1 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Well the movie is bad, but...
ivicacavara6 November 2021
Well the movie is bad, but the story kept me watching until the end, which a I cannot say for a lot of new big production movies. Acting is bad, the production is bad, but despite of its floss I like it. It's 2 hours of my life which I did not regret spending.
5 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
So disapppointed.
strokersunited10 November 2021
Some acting moments from main actors (king and Amina), but the supporting actor (Maladi), hard to tell if he is comic relief because his role should be serious. Some really good scenic shots but many that look like a stage. Some of the costumes look like I could make them from my own craft stash and fabric remenants, making me doubt how much they represent the time period. The speaking with accents was labored by almost all actors. The real bummer is this movie could be so good with with the story but this rendition isn't. I would love to see it remade.
1 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
iT IS NOT BASED ON ANY FACTS
serenitydiver18 December 2021
I am not sure that it is based on which facts exept the names.

Where is her brother. Karami.

The movie did not mention at all that she was a muslim.

Simple search even on Wikipedia will show more interesting things about her to consider in the movie.

Why such a good story could be a great movie, you just ruined it by this terrible way ??
0 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.