The Dilemma (2011) Poster

(2011)

A waste of $70,000,000
Filmy202028 January 2011
This movie is a shameful waste of $70,000,000. It's also an unusual waste of a talent like Jennifer Connely.

I can't even begin to tell you where this movie goes wrong, because it never seemed to go right. For the first 30 minutes of the movie, there is nothing remotely funny, original or entertaining. I gave it the benefit of the doubt, telling myself "ok, Ron Howard is just setting up the premise. It will get better." But it doesn't. Not a bit.

I had to repeatedly resist the urge to take out my phone and play Skee Ball. I should have, however, given in to the temptation to leave the theatre and demand my money back.

PS to the studio - don't market a film as a comedy if its not remotely funny. It does nothing to enhance your already tarnished reputation. (Clearly you are still pumping out left over crap from 2010)
125 out of 171 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Yada Yada Yada
rawvibes27 January 2011
Ronny and Nick have been best friends since college. The two are partners in their own auto design firm; their big dream comes true when they land a big deal with Chrysler. Nick has found a way to make an electric car sound and feel like a muscle car. Ronny's life has now turned for the worst when he catches Nick's wife cheating with another man. So does he tell his best friend about the other man, or should he wait until the Chrysler presentation is over. Vince Vaughn's character over shot itself. It was just too much Vince. Jennifer Connelly gorgeous as usual. You caught your best friend's wife cheating, but to stretch this topic for a movie for a 1 hr. 58 min was just way to long. Not enough funny parts to compensate for the boring slow pace of the film. Constant yada yada's. Not one of Ron Howard's best films. Soft 3 stars out of 5
21 out of 25 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Yet again a comedy which isn't a comedy
neil-47627 January 2011
Ronny (Vince Vaughan) unwittingly witnesses Geneva (Winona Ryder), the wife of his best friend and business partner Nick (Kevin James) having a clandestine romantic encounter with Zip (Channing Tatum). The eponymous dilemma is what should he do? Should he do nothing, speak to Geneva, or Zip,, or tell his friend Nick? This dilemma is compounded by various factors - they are under time pressure at work (not that he seems to do any - Nick does it all), he had a one night stand with Geneva before she and Nick got together, he is under pressure to propose to girlfriend Beth (Jennifer Connelly), and everyone is concerned that his odd behaviour means that he has reverted to his gambling habit of a couple of years ago.

I was puzzled. Director Ron Howard has made some pretty heavyweight movies over the years, but they haven't included comedies since his early days. You'd think that, with all those years in Happy Days, he'd have a good grasp of comedy. Yet this movie has virtually no laughs at all despite the fact that the trailer strongly sells it as a comedy. It is not a comedy, and every time it tries to be, it falls flat on its face (Vaughan's speech at the anniversary dinner, clearly intended to generate the comedy of embarrassment, merely embarrasses). As a comedy, the film is a total failure. And Vaughan's performance is one-note, depressingly identical to the performances he has given in his last half dozen films - he badly needs to start showing some range).

But there are some good things in it, and chief among these are the real - and touching - relationships between Vaughan and friend James and, particularly, girlfriend Connelly.
17 out of 22 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Great Moments Lost in Great Opportunity
ferguson-615 January 2011
Greetings again from the darkness. On average, I see two new releases per week. Selections are based on subject matter, cast, director, and most often, the trailer. My most recent two viewings were BLUE VALENTINE and SOMEWHERE, both somber to say the least. So a light-hearted buddy flick with Vince Vaughn and Kevin James, and directed by Ron Howard, seemed like just the right change of pace.

Unfortunately, the actual film has little resemblance to the film advertised in the trailer. Sure the comedy scenes are present: Vince gives an acidic toast, Kevin James does his fat-man dance, and Channing Tatum plays an off-center tattooed boy toy with a loaded gun and dead fish. Where the fraud comes in is with the rest of the film. This is a pretty dark, weighty relationship movie that poses quite the moral dilemma (hence the title) for Vince. Should he tell his best friend and business partner that his wife is cheating on him? Rather than a few rounds of funny scenes with Vaughn trying to get it right, we get "deep" emotional wrangling of a poor guy who just doesn't know the best solution. Along the way he hurts many people he likes, and a few he doesn't. Please don't take this wrong, I am fully onboard with dramas being mixed with comedy. In fact, Ron Howard has provided us with one of the best examples of this ... PARENTHOOD. However, this is nowhere near that level, and in fact, misses the mark in both comedy and drama.

I spent much of the movie trying to decide who was most frightening, Winona Ryder or Karen Carpenter. What?? Oh wait, I meant Winona Ryder or Jennifer Connelly. Too soon? Come on, she died in 1983. The point is Ms. Ryder carries forth with her BLACK SWAN look and Ms. Connelly evidently hasn't had solid food for a dozen years. Queen Latifah does her best to bring some energy to the film, but her character only has about 3-4 scenes. It's always nice to see how Ron Howard works in his brother Clint and his father Rance ... thereby keeping their actor's guild cards current.

There really was a good idea here, but the comedy and drama just weren't meshed well. And Kevin James as a genius engineer? Seems a stretch from Mall Cop! Ron Howard has some classic movies to his name. Some funny ones like NIGHT SHIFT, and some dramatic ones like A BEAUTIFUL MIND and APOLLO 13. Unfortunately, this one falls flat and really provides little entertainment.
65 out of 99 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A Comedy with a Story to Tell
arad74715 January 2011
I came to this movie with the lowest expectations. Never been a fan of Vince Vaughn and I knew the reviews were not kind to this film. However, this is a film that while you won't be laughing your ass off during the whole movie, it provides a few good laughters and it also has a decent story to tell. The story is simple yet it keeps you questioning yourself... what would YOU do if you caught your best friends wife cheating? Let me say, it does get childish at times and yes it might drag on a bit but it's not horrible by any means.

It's a kind of romantic comedy that can be enjoyed equally by men and women and let's just say the Bromance that is at the core of it is quite engaging. I'd say don't listen to the reviews. True, this may not be a fresh comedy nor a classic but it is well acted and it tries to avoid being cheesy, even though it may very well be at some points.
61 out of 99 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Unfairly Bashed
trayoder22 February 2011
I went into this movie with an open mind. I didn't think it would be the greatest movie ever made, but at the same time I knew it was directed by Ron Howard, who has made some outstanding movies. The movie is not as funny as I thought it would be, but in the end that was o.k. to me. Most people probably went to see it with the mindset that it was going to be a mindless laugh-fest because of the previews and the stars Vince Vaughn and Kevin James. This is not the case. In my opinion Vince Vaughn has one of his better performances in this film. Kevin James did the most he could with his character, but in the end fell flat. I think that if you watch this movie without any expectations you'll end up enjoying it. Final verdict - not great, but not a waste of time either.
31 out of 47 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Be warned:
totonka17 January 2011
I had the bad fortune of seeing this picture at a sneak preview in Frankfurt and, after suffering during the whole time I watched it, I think that I've earned the right to write a review and warn you all: be careful, do not be fooled by the names in the cast or even by the fact that this film is directed by Ron Howard (who has made a couple of good films).

I will tell you whats wrong with the movie:

1. The characters do stupid decisions which make you feel detached with the story, almost all the time. 2. This would not have been a problem, if the movie was a light comedy, which is what you may think before you see the film, but for some reason, the filmmakers did not seem to decide if they wanted to make a comedy or a bad drama. Most comedy parts are fine, but the dramatic parts really make the whole comedy feel go to waste. 3. The dramaturgy is bad: The story is full of clichés to the point, that in the end it had 4 happy endings, just to make sure any idiot would get that it ended well. 4. The -really cheap- product placement... I counted at least 4. For the price you pay to see a film, and counting the fact that you normally have to sit through at least 15 minutes of advertising before the film starts, this is a bit insulting.

I gave it 2 stars, because there was a good fight scene and maybe one or two funny things.

If you think that you are not a dumb a person, then you do not have to see this film. It will make you mad.
32 out of 49 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Tough material to make fun of
SnoopyStyle18 September 2013
Ronny Valentine (Vince Vaughn) is Nick Brannen's (Kevin James) best friend from college and partner in their own auto design firm. Ronny has girlfriend Beth (Jennifer Connelly), and Nick is happily married to Geneva (Winona Ryder). Then Ronny spies Geneva making out with another man.

This is probably the worst Ron Howard movie I've ever seen. I don't know what the original intention was. Is cheating in a marriage really slapstick comedy material? Vince Vaughn and Kevin James could be a funny team in another movie. I just can't tell as I worry about what's going on in that marriage. If you're making fun of this material, you'd have to go dark. Neither guy is that great at dark comedies and Ron Howard is the last person to direct that.
4 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
bleh
bethie036515 January 2011
OK..OK..it wasn't 'awful', but it wasn't OH MY GAWD this is great either. The Dilemma is presented as a conflict that Vince Vaughn has when he sees his best friend and business partner's wife having an affair. Coulda , shoulda, woulda been a different movie had the following happened: 1. Winonna Ryder...isn't in the movie 2. Kevin James ..had more comedy rather than 'engineering' skills 3. Winonna and Kevin were 2 different actors that were the married couple in this flick AND, 4. they stuck to the storyline and stopped adding countless subplots that have no impact on the movie or the comedy or the acting.

This movie had a lot of potential, it just didn't produce it.

Vince and Jennifer were acceptable as an unwed committed couple but there wasn't enough balance between comedy and drama. I went into this expecting comedy and got more drama. It just wasn't Vince's best work, nor was it Ron's.

Even the 'other man' (who's name escapes me) was just too far fetched to wrap my mind around in character. He was over he top. If he was like the guy from the Richard Gere, Dianne Lane movie, then it'd be more believable.

I'm just not sure what I watched tonight. Vince had his typically banter and rhetoric in some scenes, but the movie was just too heavy and too over the top with story lines for me to count...or to recommend.

I also didn't like Queen L in this...she overacted her scenes and her character just didn't seem to fit in enough to make it worth her paycheck. This is the same actress that got the Oscar nod for Chicago...completely overacting in this movie.

I'd definitely wait for the DVD..as a rental. You will only want to see it once..
40 out of 65 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
This is not a comedy, but that doesn't mean it wasn't good.
ferreira066521 May 2011
I think it was wrong to advertise this as a comedy. It was not. But I felt it was real. The argument that those two women wouldn't be interested in these two people is ridiculous argument. Its done in Movies all the time. But this really was NOT a comedy.

I think people are giving the movie a bad rap mainly for that reason. Not because it was a bad movie. Yes it made your stomach upset but that is because it was an uncomfortable movie.

I gave a 9 out of 10 because it wasn't perfect. But it was damn good. Vince Vaughn actually impressed me here. He usually plays an obnoxious prick. He was still kind of obnoxious but we got to see his human side as well which we don't see very often in his movies.

This movie was about the friendship of two best friends and "the dilemma" you can be put in when you find out the best friend's wife is cheating. How do you really break it to them. Its not just like a girlfriend. That may be easier to do. But a wife, and you know its gonna hurt.
12 out of 19 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Tests patience with boring story lines, but Vaughn and James can save it
napierslogs28 January 2011
I like titles where one word can refer to multiple things occurring in the movie. "The Dilemma" can mean, will Ronny (Vince Vaughn) propose to girlfriend Beth (Jennifer Connelly)? or when Ronny catches Geneva (Winona Ryder) cheating on best friend Nick (Kevin James), should he tell him? Will Ronny and Nick be able to land and keep the lucrative Chrysler deal to save their company? Unfortunately, none of these story lines are particularly interesting or very funny.

Vince Vaughn is his usual self, and Kevin James can be both funny and the nerdy engineer. But the problems occur at the very beginning, first when we realize that one of the best actresses in the cast, Ms. Connelly, is only there to smile and look pretty, and then we start concentrating on Winona Ryder who appears as though she's acting in "Girl, Interrupted" instead; her character is just way too deranged looking to be enjoyable. For what should be a simple buddy comedy, they added way too many sub-plots and although there were a few laughs, it was mostly boring and not all that funny.

By the end, the film settled down a bit more, and we got to concentrate on Ronny and Nick. Vaughn and James are the only two actors in the film who actually belong in such a film, and I enjoyed their camaraderie. They were good characters, funny guys, and decent people. "The Dilemma" isn't horribly written, had a few jokes, and I was smiling at the end, but it tested my patience just a bit too much.
20 out of 36 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not Much Of A Dilemma As The Right Option Is Obvious
Chrysanthepop11 May 2011
How could one go wrong with a cast like Jennifer Connelly, Vince Vaughn, Winona Ryder, Kevin James and Queen Latifah? While 'The Dilemma' isn't among the worst movies, it's still a big disappointment. The premise doesn't promise a classic but it sounded funny and since Vaughn and James were involved, I expected to laugh and with Ryder and especially Connelly, I expected some substance. 'The Dilemma' is a complete failure where substance is concerned. It did make me laugh on a few (very few occasions). Plot holes are very apparent and I also thought it was ridiculous how the story was making Ryder's Geneva to look like the villain when her husband is equally to be blamed for the same. In addition, the story deviates in the last half hour only to head further downhill. Vince Vaughn's Ronny is more vulnerable than the characters he usually plays and he does a good job. Kevin James's Nick suffers from poor writing. It's good to see Winona Ryder back in a meaty role (even though it was a small part). Luminous beauty and immensely talented Jennifer Connelly is criminally wasted. Ditto for the voluptuous Queen Latifah.
11 out of 18 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Bad just bad.
midtra5220 April 2011
Normally if you go to a movie and then discover that the Mexican food you ate is doing a number on your stomach you get disappointed that you might have to miss some of the movie while you destroy the bathroom at the theater. That was not the case with this movie. I sat through the first 15 minutes because I wanted to at least see what was going on. At the 10 minute mark I thought I was going to blow up, but I held it in while hoping something funny would happen. Another few minutes went by and I rook a step out to give the janitors something to cry about. When I came back I asked my friend if I missed anything and he said he was about to leave.

I kept watching and laughed maybe once, kind of. I couldn't believe Jennifer Connelly was in this movie and it was sooo bad. Not to mention Vince Vaughn being a funny guy but providing no laughs throughout this whole movie. I guess that worked out well though because after another 20 minutes I was ready to blow again. Had I laughed hard at any point during this movie I would've need a gallon of bleach and a trip to the laundromat. But this movie sure didn't deliver it. After my final trip to the bathroom I came back to find my friend had left. Many others in the theater left throughout the movie as well. I sat and watched the rest, but mostly because I wanted to hold still and hope my stomach settled down.
29 out of 58 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
It was...OK
admcdow1 August 2013
I didn't hate this movie. It had good moments but honestly I didn't know it was a comedy until I looked the movie up maybe 90% of the way through it. Then it became obvious...FORCED COMEDY. I think I laughed out loud once, when Channing Tatum's character told Vince Vaughn's character "drive safe". THAT was hilarious. Overall this movie was a full meal...full of corn, cheese and sap. I really believe that if they went the route of a true drama it could've been a good movie with some funny moments instead of forced comedy & corny, cheesy, sappy drama. Most of the moments with Channing Tatum's character were utterly ridiculous. I can't count how many times I cringed & said to myself "this is stupid" during the fight scene. But I'm writing this review for a reason. In a small way, I enjoyed it. Heck I watched it all the way through. The final scene was good, though definitely corny, cheesy AND sappy. I liked Jennifer Connelly. Was she the stubborn chick in Bad Boys? Anyway, I liked it...a little bit, and I can't really explain why.
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Has Hollywood learned nothing?
brad-a-james14 January 2011
Dear Hollywood, Hello. How are you? I am fine.

Okay, enough of the pleasantries.

What is wrong with you? Seriously? Did you lose a bet? Have you made some sort of pact with the Devil? I cannot imagine any other reason you would keep putting Kevin James and Vince Vaughn in movies.

There has yet to be a movie outside of "Swingers" where Vaughn is even any good, and even in that movie, I wanted to punch his face with a tire iron.

Kevin James was great on the King of Queens, but television is where his career ends.

Stop it.

Just stop it.

Sincerely, Brad
32 out of 71 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Good, but not great.
DarkVulcan2924 January 2011
The story is about two best friends Ronny(Vince Vaughn) and Nick(Kevin James), they have been friends for many years, and are both are the verge on success in business together. Ronny is all ready to purpose to his long time girlfriend(Jennifer Connelly). But then things start looking down, when Ronny catches Nicks wife (Winona Ryder) in the arms of another man(Channing Tatum). Now Ronny is put in a corner, cause he does not know how to handle this situation.

The movie shifts at from being funny to drama, and then to being mean spirited, and not in a fun way. Still not a bad film, the performances are not all bad, everybody pretty much does well here. Except Channing Tatum who talent is just wasted here. Not Ron Howards best work, but not his worst.
11 out of 21 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not bad at all
jakebabee13 January 2011
I Saw this last night and thought it was pretty good for a romantic comedy Things were looking up for Ronny and Nick who have been best friends since high school, they land a fantastic deal with a car company and with Ronny's Girlfriend Beth and Nick's wife Geneva by there sides things couldn't be better, that is until Ronny catches Geneva with another man. He goes to extreme lengths to try and get the truth out of Geneva but she pretty much tells him to stay out of her relationship or she will tell everyone one he has started gambling again (a problem he had two years before) Now Ronny has to spy on her, try and get some evidence and tell his best friend. But with all this going on Beth tries to find out what Ronnie is up to and their relationship is going down hill Vince Vaughn & Kevin James are great in their roles as well as Jennifer Connelly. Winona didn't have much screen time but did well with what she was given 7/10
7 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Four Stars But Only One Chuckle
rcreekmur14 January 2011
I went to this movie expecting my sides to hurt from laughing by the conclusion. Instead I had to fight the temptation to simply walk out. I have no idea how such a top-notch cast and A-list director can create such a train-wreck of a film. I'll tell you right now, the only performance that is any fun to watch is the extremely minor one by Queen Latifah. By my count she appears in all of three scenes and completely steals them.

Everything in the movie is totally predictable and it contains some of the most stilted acting I have seen in a long time. Everything Vince Vaughn does seems completely improvised as if Howard just decided to roll the camera and tell Vince to just do "Vince stuff." If you love Vaughn, you'll enjoy this. But if you've ever seen any other movie in which he stars, you'll feel as if you're watching a re-make. His bromantic partner, Kevin James, just huffs and puffs and fumes through the film without ever actually being the least bit funny. Jennifer Connelly at least gives a believable performance, but has never looked more overly made up and anorexic in any other film she's done.

Lastly, poor Winona Ryder! She is supposed to be a rather unappealing presence in the film, and she succeeds more than I think they ever imagined would be possible. She whines continually and contorts her face in ways I didn't know was humanly possible. I suppose this is good casting, but she is so distracting that it's hard to suspend your disbelief in any of her scenes so that you might enjoy the few entertaining moments in this horrible waste of time and talent.

A major disappointment, especially since my hopes were so high. Pass on this one until it's on DVD, and only then take a look if you can't find anything even remotely better.
8 out of 15 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Serious Dilemma
traggs2514 January 2011
Anyone who has had a best friend, male or female, knows that the situation that Vince Vaughn finds himself in is not one to be envied. While watching this movie, I constantly found myself frustrated yet sympathetic to the actions of both Vince and Kevin. The movie, listed as a comedy, seems to me to be more in the genre of a "Click" or "Spanglish" where you find yourself laughing at times but also absorbed with the drama within. I am going to call this movie a "Com-ma" (even though the cackling tween behind me would beg to differ).

I must say that the movie was well paced and consisted of a great cast which is expected of Ron Howard. While it was not exactly what I expected going into it, I must say that I was pleased. I left the theater satisfied but this is not the type of movie I could watch over and over. Its biggest pro was the cast as Vince, Kevin, and Queen can rarely do harm in my book. The biggest con would be its lack of memorable funny lines. I wouldn't be surprised if this movie ends up at a 6.1 on IMDb. My final word is that "Great moments... are born from great opportunity," just hope that this opportunity isn't having to tell your best friend his wife is a cheater!
12 out of 25 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Better than it should have been
bburns27 February 2011
"The Dilemma" is the exact sort of film I try to avoid seeing: It bills itself as a comedy, but the laughs are few and far between; I haven't liked Vince Vaughn in anything else except "Swingers"; I don't care for Kevin James or Queen Latifah; and the movie's basically a two-hour commercial for the Dodge Challenger. Nonetheless, when my friends dragged me to see it, I actually sort of enjoyed the movie.

The basic plot of the movie is that best-friends-since-college Ronny and Nick (Vaughn and James) run an engineering firm that is vying to help redesign the engine of the new Dodge Challenger to be more eco-friendly without losing the macho factor. Ronny is nervous about wanting to propose to his girlfriend (Jennifer Connelly), and then finds out that Nick's wife (Winona Ryder) is having an affair. The next 90 minutes Ronny debating with himself on what to do with this knowledge, punctuated by some rather lame slapstick.

There are--however--plenty of redeeming features that save this film. First is that director Ron Howard--although not a master craftsman--is a capable, professional director and rarely misses a chance to insert a funny cameo from little brother Clint. Second is the script from Allan Loeb, which makes each of the four leads a believable three-dimensional character rather than some by-the-numbers cardboard cutout. And finally, there are also the performances by the two female leads: Jennifer Connelly has always been great, going back to her years as a child actor; and Winona Ryder (who I had a crush on in the early '90's and who is as beautiful as ever pushing 40) looks ready for a career comeback in her biggest role since her shoplifting conviction.

As an aside, I also want to say that there a couple of scenes with a very subtle political (pro-tea-party) undercurrent that I disagree with. However, unlike most politically aware movies since "Roger & Me", the filmmakers don't try to bludgeon the audience with their beliefs, so it doesn't detract from the film as a whole--for which I am grateful.

"The Dilemma" is not Oscar-caliber. It is not a great film. I will not buy it on DVD. It's crassly commercial and the "funny" bits just don't work. But as far as mainstream Hollywood early-year releases go, it's actually okay.
10 out of 20 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A movie about love and friendships
sasazg-121 April 2011
It is beyond me why this movie is rated at merely 4.9/10. I could agree that this is more of a drama then a comedy, although it has its funny moments. This is actually very good movie, well acted, a movie that makes you think about love and friendship, about who are the people in your life you can really, I mean really trust. This movie tells a story about how tough sometimes can be to be truly honest to people who mean the most to you.

As I was reading how people criticized the movie, I could agree with certain points, but not with the critic that this was a bad movie. Because it wasn't, I enjoyed it very much and would recommend it.
7 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
not the best film in the world
anit6429 January 2011
There are a few things wrong with this movie. 1) Wynona Ryder .......can't act,should have stayed out of the lime light,and th cast of this film...big mistake Mr Howard. 2) It was billed as a "comedy"...yes there were 2 or 3 occasions where people laughed,but it was not a "comedy" 3)Queen Latifa,good actress,why did she waste her time and talent? did she need the money?

I think if the film had been marketed as something other than a comedy it might fare better. At times it was quite moving,and I could understand the position Vince Vaugn was in,but then the comedy was "thrown" in and people were expected to laugh...strange film..

I have a tip for the cast; Choose your projects more carefully,this film won't enhance your reputation....or your career.

I have a tip for Mr Howard; When reviewing the daily rushes,don't be afraid to re-shoot something that doesn't look right to you..If it doesn't look right to you,it won't look right to the paying public.

At least 7 people got up and walked out of the viewing I was at,some as early as 15 minutes into it................
9 out of 18 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A chick flick for men with no dicks. It is THAT bad.
M2b17 January 2011
This is not a comedy by any means. The laughter is sparse at best and does not belong in the tone of this pseudo-drama. It's not a drama either. It might have worked as a preposterous chick flick, except the principals caught in the conflict are guys, not chicks. Nobody, and I mean nobody would act the way the mentally retarded characters invented by the sceeenwriter would if faced with the situation. Not women, not men. Everybody in the film is pathetic, including the retarded lothario and the cheating spouse. I would hope that none of the actors in the film would act this way either, that is if they mistake themselves for adults. Alan Loeb already has one preposterous failed comedy to his credit..the excrable Switch. That's the Jennifer Anniston vehicle based on the hilarious proposition of an accidental sperm switch at a Manhattan insemination party. Yes. Talk about humorous possibilities. I would like to think a Sid Ceasar could rise from the grave, save the world from Alan Loeb, and then return. For those of you not living on earth, even the creepiest from Manhattan do not throw artificial insemination parties. Someone should tell Loeb.

So in the The Dilemma we have two creepy non-friends with not a clue as to what real friendship means, and replace that with severe angst, violence, and lead bolt stupidity. Friends like this no one needs. But one suspects that is all the desperate Loeb can find. I wonder did the actors read this odiferous script and then sign on. Or did they merely need the paychecks, no matter how bad. I used to like Ron Howard's work. I started to turn against him when he defamed the memory of the late Max Baer Sr for no good reason in The Cinderella Man. He had the story hook of how hard the desperately poor James Braddock worked for his title shot, while then talented Baer ignored his training. So Howard reinvents Baer as a crazed arrogant killer. Unforgivable.

Howard's new effort is worse. Friends don't let friends see the Dilemma
12 out of 26 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
An enjoyable film
ninka512199130 January 2011
I expected this movie to be a cheesy romantic comedy, so I was pleasantly surprised. If you enjoy movies that focus on the dynamic between two close friends and like people who act a little crazy, you'll like this. I laughed constantly, but that's probably just me.

Most people will get some chuckles out of it. The movie has some emotional moments in it so that the slapstick and cruder jokes don't get too monotonous, but you walk out laughing, not thinking about its meaning. It's not the kind of movie that you can, say, write ten lines about (thanks a lot, IMDb). If you liked "I love you, man", "Pineapple Express", "The Hangover", you'll enjoy this film's light-heartedness and its relateable characters.
6 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Things can get tricky when you keep something to yourself
Roaarry27 January 2011
The Dilemma is an entertaining comedy starring Vince Vaughn and Kevin James. Both of these actors do have a habit of appearing in comedies, particularly ones that involve a love story. "The Dilemma" isn't much different to anything either of them have starred in before, but I found the story enjoyable and original. If you appreciate Vince Vaughn and Kevin James as actors you'll enjoy this film and I did feel they had a great chemistry. Critics have been slating the film with bad reviews and I have to say it's exaggeration at its finest. The film definitely isn't perfect and does have its flaws but I would say it's unfair to call it unbearable.

The story shows Nick (James) and Ronny (Vaughn) as best friends. They have both known each other since they were in college and are currently business partners in an auto design firm. They are in the development of launching their company until a dilemma strikes Ronny. He catches Nicks wife kissing a man whilst in the process of planning to propose to his girlfriend. This leaves him shocked and angry so he decides to investigate the situation and attempts to develop evidence. This turns into absolute madness and Ronny soon discovers that the secrets in their relationship aren't as genuine as Nick and his wife portray. The film is directed by Ron Howard, and he has had a great reputation in his career so far. I seem to be one of the few people that isn't angered by Ron Howard for directing this and I don't see him selling out by doing so. The Dilemma is very different to his previous work and I can only imagine he wanted to do something more diverse. The film is entertaining and it's the type of film that people want to watch, it's simple and easy to follow. With a cast that involves Vince Vaughn and Kevin James it motivates people to watch it.

If you're looking for a comedy and expect to be in hysterics throughout the entire film this probably isn't the greatest one to watch. Multiple scenes made me chuckle but I did not find myself laughing out loud at any stage. I thought the story was quite interesting and very realistic. It represents an occurrence that happens in everyday life. I think that's the main reason I was intrigued by it. The characters played by Vince Vaughn and Kevin James also seemed very genuine, but they are almost identical to previous characters they've portrayed before. However, there are very few actors who do play diverse characters. I guess if you've proved you can act convincingly as a certain type of character, you'll be casted for similar roles in the future. I did enjoy "The Dilemma" and I felt it was worth watching. It's amusing in parts and I did feel relaxed and able to follow the rather simplistic plot. There are many films that create that kind of reaction from me though, so it's difficult to say it's outstanding. I would be lying if I said I wasn't entertained nevertheless.
5 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.