Waiting for 'Superman' (2010) Poster

Waiting for Superman is simplistic and one-sided
inmatom31 October 2010
Waiting for Superman makes teachers the scapegoats for our ongoing educational problems in the U.S. To the lay person, the film is appealing, and seemingly makes a good case that poor teachers are the main reason why so many children are failing. It shows statistics that allegedly illustrate how far behind we are from the rest of the world in education. Again, to the uninformed viewer, it all seems credible. However, as an inner city teacher for 20 years, I can tell you that we are not falling behind most other countries as they would like us to believe. You can't compare Finland, a country of 5 million people, to the U.S. Countries similar to ours are experiencing the same problems we are due to the increasing divorce rate, single parent households, and the lack of respect for teachers and educational institutions. The test scores from other countries, particularly Asian countries, are skewed since they are used as tracking for academic and social class for life. Hence, they go to after school "cramming classes". There is no evidence that they actually learn the material better in the long run, however. For a detailed explanation, please read Tamin Ansary's article "The Myth of America's Failing Schools."

The biggest problem I have with the movie is that it is one-sided. It focuses on the unions allowing poor teachers to continue because of tenure, which I agree is wrong and must be rectified immediately. However, the film gives the viewer the impression that the majority of teachers, particularly in the inner-city are "poor" and are only there to collect a paycheck. Nothing could be further from the truth. In my experience, I estimate that there are 5-10% "poor" teachers on the average in any school, just as there are in any profession. The vast majority (90%) in most schools are dedicated and diligent professionals who do the very best they can with the circumstances they have. Poor teachers are only a very small part of the problem.

Waiting for Superman neglected two important factors that dramatically affect the success of schools and its students: parental involvement and student discipline within the school system. The parents shown in this movie were NOT the typical inner city parents. They were educated, lived in nice, clean, and well maintained apartments, and did homework with their children each night. If all parents were like them, there would be no "failing schools" discussion; this movie would never have been made. These parents were model parents -- definitely the exception and not the rule in the inner-city. Another issue ignored completely is the student discipline. Most inner -city teachers spend much more time on disciplining a few students every day than teaching the rest of the class. Only schools with strong principals and an effective system of discipline in place have a chance at any success in the inner-city. The very best schools remove habitually disruptive students sooner and place them in alternative schools. As long as there are 2-3 habitually disruptive students in a classroom, the time on task will never be that of suburban schools or any successful school. The KIPP school cited in the movie didn't simply just "extend the day" as some assume, they REQUIRED parental support and participation, much like Catholic schools do. The successful charter schools do the same. They cannot be compared to the inner-city schools that have to deal with habitually disruptive students and parents who refuse to provide the basics for their child -- clean clothes, a trip to the public library, a place at home to do their homework, limiting television and computer time, etc..

Incidentally, only the very best parents in the inner city would call the classroom teacher to REQUEST a parent-teacher conference, as shown in this documentary. I found that comical since in my 20 years of teaching not ONE parent has ever REQUESTED a parent conference. It's the other way around -- we have to try to track down parents, go to their homes, and beg them to come to conferences! The parents in this film were proactive in their child's education -- definitely not the norm in the inner city.

Even the very best teacher in the country cannot successfully teach all of his/her students without adequate parental support. Case in point: Jaime Escalante, the inspiration for the movie "Stand and Deliver" (1988), was very successful at teaching inner city students calculus. He did, however, have wonderful parental support. When he moved to Sacramento several years later and taught at risk kids there, he had no such success. Why? He stated that the kids and parents didn't care as much as his kids in East Los Angeles.

Education does NOT occur in a vacuum. The schools, teachers and parents must all work together. Any administrator who simply adopts the defeatist approach and states "parents can't be fixed" and refuses to make them accountable will never have a successful school. And remember this: A bad teacher only lasts 9 months, but a bad parent lasts a lifetime!
62 out of 83 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Our System is Broken
David Ferguson3 October 2010
Greetings again from the darkness. The system is broken. I am neither a teacher, Union official or politician ... simply a U.S. citizen who sees a real problem with a public education system that seems to adequately serve very few.

After viewing Davis Guggenheim's documentary, I find it fascinating to read some of the comments made. To my eye, the film does not blame any one group for the problems - though lousy teachers and a misguided union do take some serious criticism. Shouldn't they? The film makes the point that excellent teachers and principals can definitely make a difference. The specific subject families show caring, involved parents and eager to learn children. Of course, not every family or child fits this definition. But shouldn't the system work for the engaged parents and students?

There is no shortage of blame in this game - politicians, unions, teachers, administrators, parents and rowdy kids. Regardless of the situation, it's clear that the overall system is flawed, especially in lower income areas. Do neighborhoods drag the school down or is it vice versa? To me, it doesn't matter. The system should reward the teachers, parents and children who do want to teach and learn.

Regardless of your politics or personal involvement in education, I commend Mr. Guggenheim ("An Inconvenient Truth") and Mr. Gates and Ms. Rhee for rocking the boat ... for getting the questions asked in a public forum. This movie should inspire much debate and discussion - typically the beginning of real improvement and change. Let's hope this is the needed start to finding a better system.
45 out of 64 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Super
karmajustice6 October 2010
I may not be a teacher, but both my parents were, and I grew up going to public school and got many views of the educational system as a whole. I'm really surprised to see that some teachers went to this and were actually offended by what it offered.

This movie did not set out to blame the issues of this country's education on the teachers. It depicts the issues with the SYSTEM. It's a system that protects the teachers' needs over the students in some cases. We all are aware that teachers don't get paid very well, but there are many upsides to a career as a teacher, and some go into this field because they are gifted, but just as many aren't.

What this film attempted to say (in my opinion, successfully) is that we must put the child's needs above all. The system is BROKEN, and that's all the director wanted to say. Through the establishment of the abuses of the unions, the communication of the compelling stats, and the following of just a few examples of a larger populace of suffering students and their families, the director did a BEAUTIFUL job of bringing issues to the surface.

Teachers who are talented, work very hard, and are committed to pushing students and not cruising through should not take offense to this film. However, there are plenty of teachers out there who should find this film threatening, just as many departments of education should, because on the whole, American schools are failing, and we have a lot of work to do.

Because there are educators who are threatened by the message of this film, I say that is what makes it a success. What effective documentary doesn't shake up the system and strike fear in those whose system it threatens? I'm ready for more!!!
60 out of 88 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
If you are concerned about how the US in falling behind in education, see this film!
FilmRap26 August 2010
If you are concerned about the educational system in the United States and how it is falling behind many countries in the world and may be letting down children whom you care about, you will want to see this documentary film. The same day that we saw this movie, Thomas Friedman suggested, in the N.Y. Times, that it raises awareness about problems of our education system as the movie An Inconvenient Truth ( the Al Gore film ) did about the environment. Both films were directed by Davis Guggenheim and produced by Lesley Chilcott, with the latter being a guest speaker at our screening. The storyline pulled no punches as it made the point over and over again that bad teachers must be eliminated from schools and replaced with good ones . The enemy here is depicted as the teacher's unions which oppose evaluation of teachers, merit pay and firing of poor teachers. It is interesting that also the day on which we saw this film, the first round of educational grants to states for Obama's Race to the Top program were announced . The NY Times article also stated that one important requirement for receiving this money were changes in the schools so teacher's performances could be evaluated and subsequent action taken based on this information Examples of successful charter schools, magnet schools and public schools were shown in this film. The efforts of Michelle Rhee in Washington, D.C. who is trying to reorganize that school system were highlighted as were interviews with Jeffrey Canada who has set up a successful charter school in New York City in Harlem where he turned around the dropout rate. Canada's childhood disappointment when he learned that there was no real Superman and therefore he thought there was no one to save him from the hardships of his own difficult childhood circumstances, inspired the title of this movie. It was pointed out in the film that so many kids who drop out end up in the prison system where the cost of keeping them there for an average of four years could pay for a full private school education plus money left over for college. We did think that this movie was somewhat redundant , repetitious and longer than it had to be. It also did not touch upon the role of class size in successful education which the producer did feel had been disproved as a factor, although not covered in the movie. It also failed to explain or analyze the qualities that make a good teacher or a bad one although the difference between the two does make all the difference in the world to a child's future. The most poignant, dramatic and heartbreaking part of the film was the close-up view of various lotteries which are held to determine which few students of the many sitting in the auditorium are chosen to be accepted to the schools known to successfully graduate it's students. You can see and feel the disappointment in the children as they realize that they have lost something very special that they dearly wanted. Filmrap.net
53 out of 77 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
This movie should be mandatory viewing for all Americans
richard-178719 October 2010
Yes, a 10. This movie is spectacular. I can't remember the last time I got so caught up in a documentary.

This movie seeks to do two things, 1) to show how bad bad public education in this country is and to suggest some of the reasons (the two teachers unions, the administrative bureaucracy, etc.); 2) to suggest a solution.

It does 1) in a devastatingly powerful fashion. There are other reasons for the poor quality of some American education that he does not broach, like the stupid training given by mediocre and bad schools of education, low teacher certification standards in some states, the danger of leaving it up to principals to hire teachers when some of them have no interest in or understanding of education, etc. But going into all of that would have made this movie hours and hours long. Still probably very interesting, but impractical as a commercial venture.

2) it does well also, but the viewer needs to sit back afterward and think through exactly what is being proposed as a solution. That solution is a certain sort of education now being offered in certain (not all, by any means) urban charter schools that function free of all the obstacles (bureaucracy, school boards, teachers unions, etc.) that block change in regular public schools. But the students in those charter schools are all there because their parents/guardians made the effort to get them there.

In other words, superlative teaching works with students who have support at home. This is wonderful, but it's not either a surprise or a miracle. It sounds like a magnificent way of educating the children of caring and concerned parents/guardians who can't flee the inner city to the better schools of the suburbs. But it does not address the problem of what is to be done with all the students who are children/wards of individuals who don't give a damn about their education.

That is probably the subject of another film.

This one, meanwhile, is magnificent, from first moment to last. The lottery scenes near the end are perhaps the most enthralling, but it is all very good.

I kid you not. Every American should have to see this movie.

P.S. I notice that there are some scathing reviews of this movie on here. Remember in reading them that WfS pulls no punches: it goes after the AFT and NEA with a vengeance, and those two organizations will no doubt do whatever they can to discredit this movie. Beware anything that comes from them, therefore. Bill Gates has long said that those two organizations are two of the biggest roadblocks to educational reform in this country. This movie documents that, and those unions won't take that lying down.
49 out of 75 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A pathetic piece of propaganda
nickyou13 October 2011
One of the few things Guggenheim got right was that there is something wrong with the system. Unfortunately, Guggenheim pointed his finger at teachers and teacher unions but not at the real problem.

I want to discuss a study before I discuss the real problem. I cannot remember who did the study but I can tell you the major conclusions. The researchers estimated that the performance of a student is affected only 13-17% by the teacher in the classroom. Why? Answer: Students are human and they have human problems that have nothing to do with the teacher.

For instance, many students in low performing schools arrive to school starving. If you think this doesn't matter then I challenge you to go home tonight and fill up your dinner plate like you normally do, then put half of the food back (which will likely still be more than some students get at night), then go to bed (which you might have trouble doing if you still feel a little hungry), then do not eat any breakfast the next day nor compensate by drinking extra coffee. See how well you do at work when you are starving and have likely gotten less than adequate sleep. Then imagine having to do that everyday of your life but on a worst scale since the little food you do get will probably be out of a can.

As you can see, teachers have such little effect on how well their students do because students have human problems that teachers do not have the time, resources, or training to deal with. The hunger some students face is just one of the problems students have and it is actually not as big as some of the other problems students have, such as getting to school alive.

Overall, teachers have such a small effect on student performance but they have been blamed as the one of the few reasons education in the U.S. is so poor. Now you see why teacher unions are valued by teachers. Without those unions, teachers would be fired left and right for something they have little control over.

So, if teachers and teacher unions aren't what is really wrong with the system, what is? The answer is corporations. Guggenheim actually pointed this out by noting how education started declining in the 1970s. However, he chose to point the finger at educators as the reason for this. In reality, the 1970s is also when wages started to stagnate while corporations and the upper crust of America started to absorb all the profits of our hard work.

To see how income equality affects education, let us look at Finland. Guggenheim used Finland as an example of a country with high test scores that we should try to shoot for. What Guggenheim didn't mention is that Finland only tests their students once every five years. Most likely because there is NO EVIDENCE WHATSOEVER that high test scores equals better education. Anyway, something else Guggenheim didn't mention is that Finland is much more equitable than America.

I don't recall the exact numbers but a study done in the 2000s showed how the income gap in America was in the thousands of percents (I believe 3,400+%)while that in Finland was under 100 (I think 50-60%). So, in Finland, the students are still human but the problems these students have are much more manageable because their parents have the resources needed to manage them. The reason students in Finland have better test scores is that the students in Finland arrive to school having eaten enough, have universal health care, etc.

A more direct example of how corporations are the problem are the standardized tests. Recall that there is no evidence supporting higher scores equating to better education. Instead, what standardized tests show is that you are better at following directions and conforming which means you are better suited for a job in the service industry. This is why corporations, including corporate media like this movie, constantly talk about improving test scores; better scores equals better workers for the service jobs that are quickly becoming the only jobs available to most Americans.

I can go on about the misinformation in this movie since there seemed to be a misleading fact or quote every five seconds. However, I am limited to 1,000 words so I can't go on showing how corporations and income inequality are the real culprits of the poor state of education in this country. Now that you know though, you can look up literature about income inequality to further education yourself. Since I cannot go on about income inequality, I feel I should use the few words I have left to address the most misleading of facts the movie presented; the facts about KIPP schools.

Guggenheim made it seem like KIPP schools dramatically improved test scores but what the move didn't tell you is that KIPP students are in school 62% longer than students in public schools (which means many KIPP students spend more time in school than their parents do in work). Also, KIPP schools only allow students to take electives if they have high grades in their core(tested on standardized tests)classes. Thus, KIPP students spend more than 62% extra time on the subjects tested on. Lastly, just as KIPP schools accept public money without having to follow public rules (Guggenheim points out this means no tenure or teacher unions), another public rule KIPP schools don't have to follow (which Guggenheim conveniently ignored) is that KIPP schools can expel students who are doing poorly. Thus, KIPP schools can artificially increase their test scores by expelling students who will lower the average right before they take the test. Overall, the test score gains don't look particularly impressive when all of the facts are laid bare. Especially when you realize that all KIPP schools don't have impressive test scores (also conveniently left out by Guggenheim).
19 out of 26 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
personally engaging and sometimes factually slight document on the current state of education
MisterWhiplash15 October 2010
Waiting for Superman does one thing right above all else: it gets a conversation going. Then something else has to matter, which is how much the people who get to talking really know about the education system in America, which has been making students fall behind compared to others throughout the world (i.e. USA ranks 25th among students for math and reading, albeit we're #1 when it comes to confidence! yey we're #1!) David Guggenheim's documentary shifts between personal stories of (mostly) inner-city kids whose parents want their kids to do well but are doubtful for good reason about whether their kids will get the fair chance, and try ultimately to get them into charter-school systems that rely on a lottery system of picking who gets in and who doesn't.

This makes up the emotional core of the picture, and it's a good one. Where things get both interesting and tricky is when Guggenheim gets into the main issue at hand: what's wrong with our countries schools, especially in inner-city/urban ones like in Harlem and DC where there are "Drop-Out Factories" created in part by students in bad neighborhoods but more-so by teachers who just don't give a good-damn about teaching. Guggenheim rails against the teacher union's seemingly monolithic nature when it comes to sacking bad teachers (we learn about the "Lemon Dance" system done with teachers who are tenured who are just bad period). Meanwhile he paints a very rosy picture of the Charter/private schools, and why not? They show how the teachers do give a damn about the students, and the better attention paid - and as we see teaching is a kind of art form that one can master - the better the students.

But doing a little research before or after the film shows that Guggenheim, for all of his good (and they are good) intentions, omits or shallowly covers certain things, such as the Kipp charter schools (it's mentioned only briefly in the doc but 1 out of 5 Charter schools really work best at what they do, and not mentioned is how kids that don't keep up in the first couple of years just get kicked out, period), and about the nature of public school teachers. The call for reform is not unwarranted, and I became saddened by the DC Chancellor's idea of giving double to teachers who don't take tenure being shot down, not even addressed, by the NEA. At the same time that Guggenheim gives some strong attention to the flailing public school/public-school-union system, and to how good though competitive Kipp and schools like it are, little attention is paid to what the urban/inner-city neighborhoods are really like that kids like this are in. I question the statement a person interviewed makes about the school system negatively affecting the neighborhoods more than the other way around. To me it would appear to be a vicious cycle where both sides need reform for true change.

But Waiting for Superman, a film meant to rile up the audience into attention like Guggenheim's previous doc An Inconvenient Truth, is useful as a way to get people who have no idea what's going on what is going on, at least the cliff-notes version of it. It isn't the digging-deepest look at the subject, yet I did feel moved by how the people trying to get by with their kids are good people wanting the best for their kids. Probably the big irony that Guggenheim does, after giving so much positive hype for how charter schools work (i.e. 96% of students go on to college who attend), is showing the lottery system as the climax, and how very few spots there are in the schools. The doc could go even further with being an activist-style position trying to affect change, or give clearer facts; there's a lot of cute-quirky animation to bring along the information, though the interviewees selected are kind of cherry-picked for its ultimate effect.

It is, in short, a good documentary but not quite a great one, and will be a big upper or a big downer depending on who you are in the audience, if you have kids, if you're a teacher, or if you're in the "rubber room" in one of the NYC schools.
20 out of 28 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
I'm still waiting for "Superman". Sadly, this movie isn't worth the save. It was a bit disappointing.
ironhorse_iv30 September 2014
Waiting for "Superman" is one of those documentaries, I truly wanted to see, when it came out. Now, that I saw the film, I wish, the film could had done better for itself. Don't get me wrong, it's not a bad movie. It's just misleading as hell and doesn't cover all the whole educational system of the United States. Directed by Davis Guggenheim, the film analyzes the failures of the American public education system by following several students as they strive to be accepted into a charter school. The movie often follow the teaching of Geoffrey Canada, an educator and activist for school reform, describing how the school system need to be fixed. Throughout the documentary, different aspects of the American public education system are examined. It was very interesting on what they pull out, like how bureaucracy is killing our public education system. I did have to agree with most of what the movie is saying. I agree that firing bad teachers is good, and firing tenure teachers does prove a problem. I'm pretty open to the idea of reforming corrupt unions and reducing overblown bureaucratic institutions. Still, the movie is so- one sided approach, that doesn't balance out. The movie nearly place all the blame for poor student performance on teachers and their unions. The movie act like no other groups are apportioned any responsibility for student performances. Does accountability extend only to teachers, and not to the parents or the student, themselves? Apparently, for Davis Guggenheim, it does. What the movie fails to take account is how much parental involvement, income level, educational level of the parents, the surrounding culture in which the children live, violence, drug addiction and dealing, unemployment, incarceration rates among the parents and relations of the students, sleep, nutrition, etc.. affect how a student does in school. They are not even given much time in the film to explain, or not even acknowledged as factors. The film would have you believe that if we just busted the teachers' unions, then all the "achievement gap" would disappear, all the kids in those tough urban districts would come back to school and complete their high school education and go on to college. This is only wishful thinking and not a solution. Putting all the blame on teachers is wrong. One thing that I really didn't agree with, the movie is how charter schools better than public schools. The movie makes it look like charter schools are the best out there, and the worst thing to happen to a poor family is having to go to a public school. Shockingly, as Stanford's in depth Credo study of charter schools shows, charters school actually underperform public schools. Only 15% outperform traditional schools, while 35% underperform traditional schools. The other 50% is about equal. This is pretty bad. The movie focus on how corrupt the public school, but fail to show how some charter schools could be dishonest as well. Some good examples are overworking teachers by paying them lower cost, being exploitation by for-profit entities, refusing to help special education students, co-location controversial, promoting racial segregation, or the lack of teaching second language learners. Even the film's main man, shouldn't be treated as a saint. Geoffrey Canada has been known to expel an entire class of low-performing children, before test day due to fears that it would throw off his good performance statistics at his own charter schools. Canada also has a lot of board members of wealthy philanthropists with large wallets to fund his schools. With assets of more than $200 million, his organization has no shortage of funds. Saying that public school are overfunded is an understatement when there is clear debate about charter schools being over-funded and underperforming. If all inner-city schools had the same resources as his, maybe they would have the same good results. It doesn't help the film when the statistics statement that the film are saying, are poorly researched. The movie claims for example that Woodside High School, only sends a third of its students to college and only graduates 62 percent of them, but what the film excluded, is the fact that some students went to out-of-state colleges. This means that their graduation rate is more like 92 percent. That's very distortion. Another big example is the statement that the film's claim that "70 percent of eighth-grade students cannot read at grade level,". It's clearly a misrepresentation of data from the National Assessment of Educational Progress. The film assumes that any student below proficient is "below grade level," but this claim is not supported by the NAEP data nor any major educational program. The film got so bad at researching their data that another film was create in 2011, 'The Inconvenient Truth behind Waiting for Superman' produced by the Grassroots Education Movement to couther what they were saying. One thing, I really wish the movie touch upon was upper education as well. There were little talk about college and university. Other things, they didn't talk about are Magnet schools and home schooling. It didn't even mention how military recruiters could access to 11th and 12th grade students' names, addresses, and telephone listings when requested. The movie has gross over simplification, drastic omission, direct and subtle misdirection and false causation false emphasis that cause this movie a lack of replay value for me. It lacks alternative proposals and solutions like having more dates for schooling by reschedule the school calendar. Another is offering wider range of cheaper but higher education. Last is eliminating Property taxes. All this proposals could had made this documentary even better. Like I said before, the documentary isn't the worst. It's pacing and entertaining value is pretty weak, but overall, it's still a solid film. Still, evaluating school communities solely on test scores leaves a lot to be desired.
4 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Waiting for Superman*
edwagreen5 November 2010
Sorry that my previous review was removed because I told the truth.

The film was terribly distorted as one comes away with the idea that all children are eager learners ready to soak up the knowledge that teachers are trying to impart.

Our urban school centers are in complete disarray because of the complete lack of discipline.

Why aren't Michelle Rhee, Arnie Duncan, Randi Weingarten and other supposed educators in the know teaching? Why? They were expert at getting out of the classroom as soon as possible.

We need parent involvement, but we also need zero tolerance for behavioral infractions. Schools are for learning. A teacher should not have to devote so much time in constantly disciplining students who don't want to learn. Why didn't the film talk about vocational education? Not all children are academically oriented.

Why wasn't class size discussed? Why are so many classes overflowing with students?

Why didn't the film talk about supervisors who are currently supervising teachers in New York City and never taught one day? Could we supervise a brain surgeon?

Please don't try to delete this. I thought we live in a democracy where opposing viewpoints are allowed to be published.
53 out of 90 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
This stirring documentary sends out shock-waves of injustice
DoveFoundation24 September 2010
This stirring documentary sends out shock-waves of injustice and even a bit of a sense of futility when it explores the state of America's public schools. Interviews with education specialists, school superintendents and even Bill Gates add up to an impressive assembly of informed adults who know what the problem is, but haven't figured out a way to fix it on a large scale.

Washington, D.C. schools superintendent Michelle Rhee says it well when she summarizes the basic problem: "Public schools fail when children's education becomes about the adults." The adults who fail these children are not limited to public officials and government bureaucrats, though; a large portion of the blame is reserved for ineffective teachers and the teachers' unions who ensure that those teachers receive tenure and cannot be removed from schools. The documentary focuses on five public school children who represent inner-city kids with broken families and day-to-day financial struggles (except for a student of middle-class parents in the Silicon Valley). With that one exception, all are enrolled in failing public elementary schools and have little chance of graduating high school if they move on to the assigned secondary schools in their districts. The tear-jerking climax sees each of the kids attending a lottery drawing for limited spaces at public charter schools and rare, effective public schools within or outside of their district. Witnessing the academic chances for these kids being decided by such a random, impersonal process is heart-breaking and calls into question the very nature of American values like "Protestant work ethic," "equality," "freedom" and "the ability to pull oneself up by one's bootstraps" and make the future brighter.

The language is limited to a few expletives. The film deals with a tangled web of adult issues that make a child's education more difficult, which probably puts it outside the spectrum of interest for most kids under age 12. However, when watched with parents, it could create some valuable family discussions on the importance of education and may even activate a family to become advocates for change. We award "Waiting for Superman" the Dove Family-Approved Seal for audiences over age 12 and praise the filmmakers for presenting many teachable moments.
44 out of 74 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Waiting for Substance
Donal Fagan25 April 2011
I had been waiting to rent Waiting for Superman for quite some time, had read a lot of reviews and definitely went in as a skeptic. The children interviewed were adorable, and thirsting for knowledge. The parents interviewed were devoted to the education of their children. The teachers interviewed ... well, there were no teachers interviewed. They interviewed Randi Weingarten of the American Federation of Teachers, but no ordinary classroom teachers, good or bad. There were brief video snippets of very engaged-looking teachers, and other snippets of teachers reading newspapers instead of teaching, and languorous shots of teachers that (we were told) were so bad that they were paid to do nothing.

They did interview Geoffrey Canada, a former teacher that founded a charter school, Harlem's Children Zone, in New York City. Canada is also on the board of The After-School Corporation, a non-profit advocating changes in education. They also interviewed Michelle Rhee, founder of the New Teacher Project, and former Chancellor of Washington DC public schools. Rhee departed when DC Mayor Adrian Fenty failed to be renominated, and is now promoting a non-profit called Students First. They interviewed Bill Strickland, founder and CEO of the Manchester Craftsmen's Guild, a non-profit that focuses on art and music education. They also interviewed education guru Eric Hanushek and Microsoft founder and major donor Bill Gates. But the teachers didn't get to speak.

They talked a lot about teaching, and while Canada and Rhee talked about the bad system, what they called the "Blob," it seemed clear they blamed the teacher's union for keeping bad teachers on the job for most of the bad outcomes - which they called the "dropout factories." While it would seem reasonable to entertain other potential causes, like inattentive parents, broken homes, drugs, etc., Waiting for Superman keeps it simple.

There was one chart presented indicating that overall spending on education was increasing while overall test scores remained stagnant. Neither the spending nor the test scores were broken down to see if the same relationship held at the bad schools. What if most of the spending is at the better schools? I was chatting with my sister-in-law, a teacher's aide, today. They just took their daughter out of public school, where she was in a class of 32, and put her in a private school where class size is 12. Now she feels like a rock star. Although the public school classrooms shown looked much more crowded than the charter school classrooms, there was no discussion about relative class sizes - a real political football. You can scan the internet and find all sorts of stats such as those at American Progress, The False Promise of Class-Size Reduction, and rebuttals such as at Class Size Matters. Anecdotally, I hear a lot about classroom sizes of thirty or more, while the charter schools that I have worked on were to have perhaps 15 students per classroom.

In short, even though it has gotten good reviews and awards, Waiting For Superman was mostly an emotional appeal with little to substantiate its point-of-view. I don't feel that I know much more about the problem from watching this documentary.
9 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
No Answers Folks - That is for You to Figure Out
georgew623 October 2010
Checking a few reviews, I noticed that the point of this documentary film was not understood by some people. I hope that is not true of all viewers. Of course, not many of us in the USA are ever going to see this movie. In my area, 20 miles outside Washington DC, where a good part of the movie takes place, in their school system, the movie was showing in only two theaters. One a large, excellent multiplex and another small theater that seems to pick up movies usually not shown by the big theaters. I guess there were SIX of us in the big theater last Friday, October 22, 2010. Check out the box office statistics here and you will see the trend is UP from very few patrons to start with, although my guess is that the movie will go to DVD soon, never to be seen by many people.

Well, that might be an indication of how much we really care about children in this country. Especially about their education that is so lousy in much of the United States, not just in the giant urban centers, often surrounded by nice suburbs with nice schools we think are doing their job. Maybe most people just do not give a darn.

If nothing else, the film makes the point that it is a systematic failure of public education that we are seeing. Not a failure of individual teachers or poor neighborhoods, unfit parents, rebellious students, drugs or lack of funds. Further, the failures rest on the heads of ADULTS. That is all of us, folks.

The film maker wants you to see that, even with the best of intentions and plenty of money, plus the highest level backing (every President since Ike), we still have not found the courage and stamina to bring our students up to the very highest standard of education, be it in math or music, science or soldering.

We need to be sure every student in public schools graduates from high school prepared for life in this world. We are not doing this now and the future of the country really does depend on this one variable.

In this day and age education can prepare everyone for a job of one sort or another, be it mother or father or President of the USA. However, without that education it will be mighty hard to live a decent life and all the problems we see now in our civilization are going to be that much harder to deal with.

Please go see the movie and talk to all your friends and family about it. This movie should be shown in every little town and every city neighborhood in the USA.
22 out of 37 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
One-sided propaganda - VIEWER BEWARE
Mountain-Storm8 July 2012
I was disappointed by the one-sidedness of this movie. Without any comment from the teacher's unions, at least in the first hour the bias is palpable. I turned off the movie when I realised it was trying to blame teachers and unions for all the problems in our education system, an education system that in itself is fraudulent.

As a former teacher, I know how difficult it can be to teach a classroom full of innercity kids - sometimes 35 to a class. Research shows that small class size helps with learning tremendously, and those teachers this movie is labelling 'bad' - are not being given a chance to speak. I'm sure they have valuable perspectives to add, and this movie would be more credible if it allowed those teachers to speak out.

With the aim to reward 'good' teachers, what exactly do you measure what is good. A teacher should be a model of emotional intelligence, adept at peaceful conflict resolution, have excellent communication, compassion, understanding, positive enthusiasm as well as intelligence. A teacher should also care for the child's emotional well-being and whole self. It seems the producers of this movie are solely concerned with math and reading scores - which are such a superficial measurement for success in a teacher- student relationship. Unfortunately the education system has convinced the majority of parents that this is the measurement to use. The education system has been set up that way, and it is a fraud.

I would like to see the teacher's unions come up with their own documentary - then let's see the OTHER side of the story.

Viewers beware of this movie, but most of you won't will you, because you have bought into the system, you have allowed the programers to delude you into thinking the education system should all be about reading, writing and maths.
16 out of 26 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Unresearched one-sided propaganda.
mitzter6917 December 2012
The 'experts' seems to only consist of the discredited Geoffrey Canada, Michael Rhee and Bill Gates. Guggenheim should feel ashamed to have written this. He comes across as a complete lackey for corporate interests and a faux leftie (that pretends he has a conscience and cares but at the end of the day doesn't care about anyone but himself and family). Instead of looking at why teachers burn out, what has changed since the 70s, or even the great question of what effect inequity in wealth causes, Guggenheim takes the easy road of his corporate masters and attacks teachers and unions. Shameful and harmful!
17 out of 29 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
One-sided, emotionally manipulative piece of propaganda
MissTruddles25 October 2012
Wow. This ranks as one of the most heavy-handed, one-sided, emotionally manipulative pieces of propaganda masquerading as a "documentary" that I've ever seen.

For all the things that are wrong with the American education system that desperately need to be addressed, this movie's sole intent is to bash overworked, underpaid teachers by calling them out as "bad" and to vilify unions as self-interested organizations of malicious intent.

Are there "bad" apathetic teachers? No doubt. Every profession has a few bad apples. Is it so pervasive that it is the principal cause of the downfall of education in America? Puh-lease. This documentary would have you believe that there are FAR MORE "bad" teachers than good, and that it's their amoral unions doing everything in their wicked power to protect them by ROBBING YOU OF YOUR TAX DOLLARS to do it. It's sick propaganda and must be called out as such.

If Americans long for education reform and to "do right for their kids" have a good, honest unflinching look at how governments in other developed nations tackle public education to great success. Failure of the education system in America has more to do with a culture of corporate greed, political corruption, racism, and poverty. All the things this "documentary" so blithely ignores in order to specifically target teachers and unions as the root of the evil.

After failing to accurately and fairly identify the problem, this "documentary" does very little to offer a reasonable, workable solution. It is misinformed, manipulative and misleading. If you really care about how your children are being educated, you'll look further than this movie for answers.
16 out of 27 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Saw it 3 times and declare it corporate propaganda
hkridgway11 February 2012
The first time I saw it, I left believing I would trade my tenure for incentive pay, I was properly appalled by the expensive limbo the New York system floats for possibly delinquent teachers, and Bill Strickland's point about one-way money seems to ring so true... Maybe this movie had some good points! But I am a trained teacher, and many things "rang false" -the metaphor of a teacher pouring knowledge into empty heads is so outdated and offensive to the profession, I couldn't believe a person at all aware of current education practices would allow it in the film. So, like a model of all I hope to teach my kids, I withheld opinion and engaged in further study and research.

Upon second viewing, I began to ask myself, "who are these "experts," and what are the formulas employed to calculate our inefficacy compared to such incomparable communities as tiny, homogeneous Finland? I went home with a list of names to research - Why is the Education Editor of Newsweek considered an expert on education - he sells magazines dependent on sensational stories. NEA had a very good reason not to trade the tenure of teachers concerned with civil ethics for a system driven by abstract standardized tests scores. Almost every other expert in the movie is the product of privilege, with very limited classroom experience teaching these basic skills, including Geoffrey Canada, who only made it to the 3rd year before going private teaching things that are not tested, and consulting on the very things our public schools should be funded to teach! After the 3rd viewing, I feel quite confident in declaring this a film designed by major monopolies in an attempt to win public monies to start their own corporate-run schools. This would not create the high-paying jobs the movie steers us to believe are going out of country - it would ensure future regulations allowing for a quiet, 3rd-world workforce indebted to the company that trained them from childhood, to run right here at home. Corporate run schools, is not the answer. Better public governing is.

One of the things that makes America great is a free, mandatory, equal education for all. There are certainly many things that need to change in our public education systems - above all, the self-feeding frenzy of fear needs to be quelled. This movie feeds the fear, and letting corporate monopolies run our schools is contrary to the future of a free democracy. I can only hope folks who watch this movie ask themselves some of the same questions I did.
11 out of 18 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Loved it but bemoan the oversimplification
nyccents23 October 2010
A very interesting documentary with a soul. However, it didn't really touch upon the challenges that face the teachers who do give their time, their creativity, their energy and their hearts. What about class size, disruptive students--ADHD, or just undisciplined, the disparity in skill level (hence some tracking), the lack of materials and facilities, etc.? What about teacher burnout? The message is clear that our system is broken, but fixing it is more complex than the movie implies. Was glad to see some successes. And I presume all the children featured will get outside assistance just by being highlighted in the film. A very interesting documentary.
11 out of 18 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Propaganda in Sheeps Clothing
generationofswine21 October 2011
THIS FILM HURTS CHILDREN!!!!!!! I'm a history teacher at a public school & one with a deep love for propaganda. Seriously, I have a collection of it, from "Red Dawn," to a "Chu Tich Ho Chi Minh" banner, from old clippings warning Americans of the Irish to asking us to save Europe from the attack Huns. It's kind of a history teacher's thing. Besides it's fun & useful. You get to see the shocked expression on people's faces when they walk into your apartment to be greeted by a giant painting of Castro & you get the added bonus of hanging it in the classroom when it's topic appropriate.

Most of the time, propaganda is understandable, it's how governments operate. Both the Left (Capitalism a Love Story) and the Right (Fox News) use it & have done so for centuries. But I am very sensitive to things that are created to harm Children, and that is the intent of "Waiting for Superman." As a former Chicago Public School teacher, I can tell you exactly why you should not believe the views propagated in this film.

1) Private schools do not teach anywhere near the amount of students that public schools teach. To be fair, the film does mention this point. what it doesn't mention is that, by design, these schools take few students in order to more successfully teach them, weeding out the students that need the most help.

2) These schools are for-profit, yet they take the lion's share of education funding that you pay for with your tax dollars. Meaning, you'll have to, in some cases, pay for your child to attend a school that you are already paying for with your taxes & by doing so you are leaving public schools under funded.

3) In most cases, when one of these schools open, they close down a public school. The majority of the students in the public schools that are not lucky enough to attend the new school are then bussed to another public school. How far do you want you children to commute to elementary school?

4) Because of the events listed in points 3 & 2, a formerly passing public school becomes both over crowded & underfunded, not able to accommodate the extra students nor hire more teachers due to lack of funding, as a result this passing school fails & is eventually closed, causing the opening of yet another charter school & the overcrowding & closing of another public school.

5) This entire system violates federal law, specifically the Homestead Act, which guarantees one section of the community (lot 32 if I recall correctly) to be set aside for free public education.

6) When you bus students to overcrowded schools, you tend to mix gangs. 2-6 & the Latin Kings do not get along. It's hard enough to teach one gang, try teaching two waring gangs & see if you come out alive. A one-gang school is manageable, you add a rival gang into the mix & suddenly the school becomes a war zone.

7) Most public school teachers that are teaching in the inner city want to be there. They are teaching there because they care & think they can make a difference, "Waiting for Superman" turns people against those teachers & throws them in bed with a system that makes it even harder for people like me to educate the people that most of America wants to ignore.

Don't blame the teachers nor the public school system. Most failing schools--growing every day--are failing due to over crowding & lack of funding caused by private charter schools. My last year teaching, my average class size, due to the closing of an over-crowded failing public school, jumped from 25 students per class to nearly sixty. Standing room only, not enough text books for half the class.

You couldn't successfully teach 60 high school students per class either. Most of the "lazy" teachers featured in the film, are teachers that were overwhelmed by the current system. You can fault them for giving up the fight if you want, but it's a hard fight, especially since our current political climate has turned the parents & community against the teachers so your schools can become for-profit.

Support the teachers, not for-profit industry, your future is literally in their hands.
17 out of 31 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Waiting for a decent educationally movie...still.
coachdent20 January 2011
"Waiting for Superman" plods down a road often traveled and yields not much in return. The idiocy of a "concern" film-goer about America's education system who sends his kids to a $30,000 per year private school is laughable. This man is also the guy who did "An Inconvienent Truth" and was demonized by so many on the right; yet these are the same folks on the other side of the fence who now take solace in the fact that he is now on their "side" of the issue, so all of the opinions are now obviously correct.

First...the idea that anyone would support a voucher system that would allow inner D.C. kids to attend these rich, well-to-do private schools is hilarious. Those people enroll in the private schools to get away from that "element".

Secondly, statistically, Charter schools do not do better than the schools in their area. Yes, there are outstanding Charter Schools that do a nice job educating our youth, but the vast majority of Charter Schools in fact fail. Hoisting up the few that excel and ignoring those that don't is disingenuous. People leave the movie theater with a love song to Charter Schools and demanding for the upheaval of Public Schools...it's just simply false.

Third, the main thrust of the film builds to the gripping and tearful climax of the children sitting in on the Charter School lotteries. Those who gleefully jump up and down on their acceptance and juxtaposition of the miserable and horrible doom that awaits those who did not "win" the lottery. Why do people not see the inherent problems of Charter Schools? Namely, that the students entering into these lotteries are GOOD KIDS. They are MOTIVATED to either continue their outstanding schooling...which, by the way, they got in public schools...or they are looking to change their ways and improve. Bill Gates, begrudgingly reported that his own fact finders did a study and found that students who were simply placed in Charter Schools and did not want to go there on their own accord, did no better statistically than those who stayed at their own schools. Additionally, he found out that students who applied to private schools with outstanding ability demonstrated NO discernible difference whether they were admitted to the Charter or not. Meaning, these kids still went on to be successful in the public schools...just as successful as their Charter School counterparts.

Lastly, the one thing the movie absolutely ignores is that the United States is the only country in the world that gives students the ability to find their educational stride at any stage of their life. Our students are not given tests in fifth grade to determine whether or not they go to a normal high school and on to college (China). Public schools MUST teach EVERY student regardless of whether they want to be there or not. Charter schools can kick kids out. Private schools can kick people out..and where do they go? The joke about the lottery is that no one views the lottery as the Charter School's failing and not the public school. Why? Because the Charter school is essentially refusing to teach those children who want to learn. Why? Because they want smaller class sizes. They want teachers dealing with teacher-student ratios of 15-to-1 or less. There simply are no Charter schools that deal with similar populations to that of public schools that outperform those public schools.

Until our country values education and works to follow the models of countries like Finland, instead of constantly comparing the US to China and India, our educational stigma will always remain.

A brief look at data...The best colleges in the world are in the United States. Our collegiate system is the one every nation aspires to be. Students try to get into our colleges and universities from other countries. Where do the majority of the students come from who go to America's colleges? U.S. public schools. In 2000, Princeton admitted 60% of its population from public schools, around 10% from private and Catholic schools, 6% from international and less than 10% from Charter Schools. In the past ten years, at Princeton and across the country, tuition has skyrocketed and it has become even more difficult to get into school with increased GPA requirements and SATs. The result in 2010? Public schools make up 60% of the population and the other numbers are also exactly the same. IF international students are so woefully outperforming the US, then why aren't they taking over Princeton and every other college campus across the country? IF public schools suck on the level "Superman" purports and Charters are the shining beacon of light in education, why have Charter schools...that have been increasing in numbers the past ten years...failed to raise the percentage of Charter students going to college? The answer? Public schools do a pretty damn good job of educating our nation despite the bullheadedness of those who despise it, for whatever reason. You don't think so? Try watching the next installment of "Are You Smarter Than a Fifth Grader?"
20 out of 38 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Not perfect, but it's informative and emotionally-resonating
napierslogs19 October 2010
Director Davis Guggenheim waited for Superman as a child, because children like the hope that somebody will come and rescue them and the world. I knocked the U.S. Education system documentary "Waiting for Superman" down two stars for two reasons. One is that they just didn't give me enough hope.

The other main failing of this film, as other reviewers have pointed out, is that he didn't cover all of the many, many reasons for an under-performing education system. Well, he kind of did, but not very clearly. He spent more time on poor teachers and the unions, and many people seem to have come out of thinking that's all he talked about. Contrary to popular reviews, he did make other points. They were just too subtle. I will agree though that he was too heavy-handed with the American Federation of Teachers.

The primary focus of the film is five children each from different parts of the country and each desperate to get into a better school. I think he padded the documentary a bit too much with their situations, and a few too many tear-jerking moments. But when Guggenheim presented me with facts, knowledge and history, "Waiting for Superman" became both informative and emotionally-resonating. And yes, that's what a good documentary is, and that's why it gets 8 stars.

Perhaps "Waiting for Superman" should have been more well-rounded, but I don't think you can present more sides in just a two-hour film. And most important, the sides he did present are accurate, informative, entertaining and well presented. I wish I saw Superman at the end instead of just tears, but I still recommend it.
13 out of 23 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Way, Way Too Simple
boltons-127 February 2011
I enjoyed watching the DVD with my wife and daughter. It is a very nice story but really oversimplifies the issue. Don't take my word for it though--watch the deleted scenes on the DVD's special features and see how the filmmakers really took their own point of view to the extreme by funneling the story down to one issue.

Little Anthony's Grandmother says it all. School was not important to her because she didn't have anyone to push her, to talk to her about stuff. Her son, who died of a drug overdose, did not think school was important either. There my friends is one key answer: motivation--NOT mostly teacher unions. Anthony's Grandmother gets it so she motivates Anthony.

I have seen misplaced motivation in my own home with Hispanic families who praise a strong work ethic in their children but not a strong learning ethic. Their young children, in turn, say they would rather go to work than go to school.

I am kinda of angry that the Director drives by three public schools to take his child to private school. This reminds me of the State School Board in Texas--at one time every member had their own children in private school. Isn't this hypocrisy or is it just me?

I asked my daughter's principal about her experiences and she confirmed it is difficult to fire a teacher (and we are in Texas with no teacher unions just associations). The documentation required takes about a year and HQ says to only plan on firing, at most, one teacher a year. So she is very careful in hiring. Universities should also be more careful in who they graduate. Sounds like a better plan.

My advice is to go to RedBox and rent the DVD for a buck and watch it with a group and have a discussion. This film is better than 90% of what RedBox has to offer anyway and, with the Wisconsin teacher union busting Governor, there is no better time.
10 out of 17 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Logical gaps
Tflinsider16 October 2010
Something like 1 out of 70 lawyers and 1 out of 90 doctors are booted from their profession because of incompetence. Only 1 out of 2500 teachers is ever dismissed. This seems like a really powerful statistic, but before we blame teachers' unions for the failure of public education, consider what it would mean to bring teacher dismissals in line with that of other professions. Let's say, for instance, we fire 1 in 80. 80 teachers might support about 1600 students (20 students per teacher). Let's say these 1600 students are split into four medium-sized schools of about 400, with each school supporting two classes in each grade from K-8. Do we really think that firing the one lazy grade 4 teacher from school B is going to make a statistically significant change in the collective student achievement of schools A, B, C, and D? Americans need to give their head a shake if they are blaming teachers for the deep social problems now plaguing this country.
10 out of 17 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Fifteen Minutes Was Enough
elision1021 April 2013
Because I only watched the first 15 minutes this review should be taken with a very substantial grain of salt. The RT rating is 89, so critics thought it was very good. But to me it was unbearable. It begins with every cliché of the US education documentary: the brilliant black educator who thought he could change the schools in a few years and finds out how hard it is; a black-and-white film clip from the Fifties of stuffy white men looking like idiots (really, what's that supposed to tell us?); and cute, earnest inner-city kids with great Moms who are just having a hard time in this economy. Well, I went to school with inner-city kids; they were neither cute nor earnest.

The one interesting note was when the filmmaker tells us that he sends his own kid to private school. It's an honest moment, but what are the implications of that? Maybe he examines them later in the film, but 75% of the problems of American public education would be solved if we closed the private schools and forced the children of the upper-middle- class to go to school with inner-city kids. That's what they did "when I was a boy"; but we had tracking, and that meant all the Jewish kids were in the 1 class and all the black kids were in the 4 class. (They started mixing up those numbers, and a 3 class could have smarter kids than a 2 -- as if that fooled anybody).

But at least the schools were clean and safe because middle-class parents wouldn't have it any other way. Nowadays that kind of segregation would horrify everybody (and maybe rightly so), so the upper classes segregate themselves. Demand that they put their kids back in the system and you'll see just how much better public schools can be.
5 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Repetitious and not that shocking at points, but the build up of the film's five case studies is powerful.
Ryan_MYeah6 February 2011
Waiting for 'Superman' is a documentary from Davis Guggenheim, the director of 2006's An Inconvenient Truth, that examines the faults and labyrinthine bureaucratics of America's educational government, a government more interested in protecting the jobs and pay salaries of lazy educators in public schools, rather than properly educating the average child.

The film isn't all that shocking. I admire the format, and the presentation of the film, but problems with the education of American children have been a highly publicized matter, especially a few of the points of which Guggenheim presents. At times it even feels like he's stating the obvious, and even repetitious in regards to sub-par school houses he points fingers at.

But the film's strongest impact comes from the case studies of five children, who show strong potential, but their parents struggle to set them up with the necessary education, placing them at the mercy of lotteries that determines the lucky few who get to attend successful charter schools. Their build-up is near impeccable, leading up to the film's emotionally powerful third act. A third act that, afterwards, is complimented perfectly by "Shine", a beautiful end credits song by John Legend, and overall one of the film year's very best original songs.

It isn't perfect, but I'm gonna give Waiting for 'Superman' *** out of ****
8 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
I'm a Good Teacher and I Don't Want More Money
joyinlagunahills30 September 2010
Just get rid of the unions and make the schools competitive. And have vouchers so these poor inner city moms have a chance to get their kids into Catholic Schools that do a much better job for much less money per child, not because of religion (I have never had the gift of faith myself), but because of parent support and a wonderful lack of political correctness.

I am a public school teacher, my students rock the house (we beat our school and all of the other schools in our district) with their STAR scores (California's across the board testing system that the Unions of course, hate), which makes me a "good" teacher, I guess. And I say, thank you Mr. Guggenhiem, thank you! And please, parents, do not think that your child's teacher necessarily likes their union. I am not the only teacher who takes the union's "voting guide" to the polls to know exactly what and whom to vote against.
26 out of 54 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this