Drifting Home (2022) Poster

(2022)

adrift
Rob-O-Cop16 September 2022
A lovely visual treat with an inventive story idea.

I love that this was a contemplative movie with serious culture shots fired through it. From vintage snack treats, to the feeling of growing up and the old buildings and places you frequent then lose but the memories remain. The intro credits sequence of the buildings getting built as their lives continue across the process was very well done. Strong japanese city details from the views to the sounds. Very authentic and detailed.

It is a long movie and the last 1/4 where they're jumping into the ocean to save each other got repetitive and didn't really yield the payoff for the action it delivered.

The destination wasn't as deep or perfect as it could have been but I think we knew that was going to happen by the half way mark. This movie posed thoughts rather than delivered answers and it was as much about the journey as it was the destination.

It's great to have another movie with no baddies (antagonist) or violence in it that can still hold your attention and activate your mind. Western cinema has stagnated on that concept and can't seem to think it's way out of that cul de sac. It is to Japan's credit that they can.
24 out of 27 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Lot of Potential, but a bit messy
MITB_700016 September 2022
When it comes to the fantasy genre, anime movies have a lot to offer. Which is why I was looking forward to this movie.

Drifting Home is a movie that could have been really good. But, it tries to be 2 things at once. I admire plenty of stuff about this movie. I think there's a really sweet friendship at the core of the movie, some good teenage drama (except for one character, who I thought was very annoying), a couple of good character stories, interesting supernatural entities and really good direction. There are many shots in this movie which are beautifully drawn. And it actually has some intense escape sequences which I didn't expect.

It's just that this movie can't decide what it is. If this was a 90 minute school drama, I might have really enjoyed this. If it was a supernatural mystery with some character building as well, I would have really enjoyed that as well, because the first hour was a great setup for a mystery. But it's neither of those things. It takes 2 hours of runtime trying to be both at once which didn't work for me. Since it sees itself as a drama it doesn't explain many of the supernatural stuff that happens convenient for the sake of the characters and the plot. And the drama in the middle of all the disastrous stuff happening, worked for once but it got really repetitive after a while. In the end it just dragged on and got a bit messy. I don't think it's bad at all. It's just that it could have been a lot more than it is.
18 out of 22 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Beautiful Unfulfilled Potential
SleepyMaya27 September 2022
The art is very beautiful and the environment is visually enjoyable to watch, I really loved the colors and the graphics. The story itself had a lot of potential, especially when it comes to the mystery character.

However, the story just doesn't go deep enough in my opinion, and has the focus on the wrong thing. Instead of exploring the real mystery about the situation, the whole focus story wise is on the two main characters and how they are "like siblings", except they are just not that interesting. These two don't develop at all, they stay exactly the same and you can predict exactly what they will do. They keep repeating the exact same story about their life by thinking about memories that keep repeating pretty much the same point, as barely anything really happened in their life to begin with. They keep arguing about the same childish things in the most unrealistic times, when there are clearly more important things for them to worry about. Everything about these two characters is just very repetitive through the whole movie, even though everything else about the movie could be way more interesting, and gets completely neglected by the script. Majority of the other characters are just there for the sake of saying there are more characters, and we barely learn anything at all about them.

There are so many great directions this could have gone if the story was actually about the drifting house and if they explored Noppo's backstory more, but sadly it ended up mostly as a drama story about two children who keep talking about how they use to live together, and argue for no reason in every situation that makes zero sense to argue on.

All that said, everything other than the story about these two characters is still nice to watch, it's just hard not to feel like there are so many easy ways that this movie could have been better.
6 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Drifting off.
Pjtaylor-96-13804428 October 2022
'Drifting Home (2022)' is an animated adventure that sees a group of elementary schoolers trapped inside an abandoned apartment block as it floats along a seemingly endless sea after a spout of torrential rain floods what seems like the whole world. Is it real? Is it a dream? Is it a poorly conceived allegory? Don't expect an answer to that, as the flick never even attempts to tackle its ambiguities. That's not necessarily a bad thing, but the way in which it's done leaves quite a bit to be desired. Of course, that's a relatively minor issue in the grand scheme of things. That's because the flick suffers from a much more destructive flaw: it's way too long. Marching past its anticipated ninety minute runtime and barrelling headfirst into triple digits, the piece unflinchingly stretches its relatively repetitive plot far past the pinnacle of its elasticity. There are about four different endings, each of which visualise the same central conflict in a slightly different way. The way in which its stubborn characters constantly regress away from the growth that's often within their reach is rather interesting, but it happens once or twice too often to feel satisfying and actually seems a bit accidental when you consider the other pacing problems the piece has. It's worth mentioning that the characters are rather well-rounded and generally have an underlying complexity that's perhaps unanticipated. However, a few of them are certainly less developed than the others, acting more as filler than anything else. All of them are brash, immature kids who shout and scream and cry and kick off for no real reason, which is as realistic and believable as it is annoying and (potentially) off-putting. The animation does a good job of conveying the story, though there are some instances of really odd framing that seem to only exist as they do so that the animators can avoid doing lip-sync in a couple of scenes. Generally, it's a visually pleasing piece that eventually contrasts lots of colour and vibrancy with the tangibly gritty milieu of its decaying brutalist setting. It's not the most aesthetically astounding anime I've seen, but it's certainly well-achieved and keeps you engaged - visually, at least. The film makes obvious efforts to be emotionally moving but it ends up dealing in overblown melodrama more than considered poignancy. Its emotional elements definitely work on occasion, though, and they hint at a more powerful picture hidden somewhere within this one. Ultimately, this is a decent animated effort that struggles with a strained pacing but has some enjoyable moments sprinkled throughout its unfortunate two-hour runtime.
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Total floop
Snootz18 September 2022
Usually I enjoy creative anime, even if it's a bit over the top. But this is nonsensical, drawn out, has irritating characters and very little to say as far as plot, story or any other redeemable qualities. The story is contrived, with absolutely nothing explained in the way of reason, cause, or even purpose of the story. It appears to be a "growth lesson" where the main characters all learn something and become stronger, but they really don't, at all. They remain the same irritating emo mess as when the story first started out. This is a good example of when insane people are given a word processor.

I've enjoyed many "very odd" anime, but this is just a creative mess.
18 out of 40 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Another wonderful netflix anime
thewalkingpuns18 September 2022
This was another beautiful movie. I would say though that the whole thing with the complex being at sea made no sense. But does it really have to. The more I watched though I interpreted the film in a way of childhood innocence slipping away from these kids as the one thing they have always known may not be with them anymore. It was a very nice film and I enjoyed the character development we got with each of them, there were some intense scenes that were a little scared and at one point I thought it was all the head of the main character. Overall though yet another lovely anime. Its showing that netflix is getting better and better at making them.
5 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Loved it!
notsimmysharma20 October 2022
I really don't know why it's rating is so low.

It was a really good movie for me ,it took me on a emotional ride where I felt anger,sadness,happiness,joy.

I really liked it!,only wished for Nobu to be with them even just in the form of tree or some .

Anyway,this was a good movie I watched in a while and this is one of the best movies atleast for me it is that I have watched in 2022 considering that it's an anime.

Really well written and the use of camera positioning is well done.

I really hope that more people watch this and this too like Ghibli movies get popular , again gonna say it ,I loved it.
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Good Art, Bad Characters
jasonnomnom-6304517 September 2022
This show could have been good if they didnt rely on unruly children being annoying and bickering the whole time to create drama and obstacles.

The art is great, the theme is unique. But the characters are just completely unbearable.

The children all looking back at their life remembering their best memories when they are like 12 years old is super annoying, they make them reminisce like they have lived these long traumatic lives full of woes and hardships. These are kids, not 50 year olds meeting up for a class reunion.

Kid being a jerk to everyone just to be a jerk. Other kid being a jerk just because hes selfish. Other kid being a jerk because the other kids being selfish.

The only likeable characters are the ones that seem more like side characters just there to fill the empty space.
13 out of 24 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Traversing through the aspects of grief
pranayjalvi2 October 2022
Drifting Home is admirable for its patient commitment to unpacking the children's feelings about each other, the building, and other relics from their pasts, all as they learn how to carry their attachments and memories to new places.

Helmed by Studio Colorido (A Whisker Away, Penguin Highway), Drifting Home had good visuals, with a fantasical kinda storyline that relies upon relationships that are tough to let go. There's enough liveliness to Drifting Home that two hours in a single location against a minimal background doesn't actually feel like overkill. While the overall journey is smartly and sensitively realized, there are points where the movie does feel (appropriately!) a little lost at sea, as its characters wrestle between youthful impulses and empathy for their friends.

My Rating : 7/10.
1 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Superb movie, very emotional and adventurous.
sisubalan2 October 2022
Just wow. Amazing scores, the sound effects were very compelling and plays huge role to keep the audience stay with this movie and its epic adventure of emotions and drama till the end. Very family oriented movie and carries many important messages that - everyone needs someone to lean on emotionally and physically, learn to let go of the past and ready move on, traumatic experiences faced by divorced parents and jealously of one person to other, etc.

A very emotional movie with a hint of action, adventure, fantasy and slice of life. Very comedic in the first part of the movie, adventurous and packed with action in the second act. The final act full with emotional surprises and amazing sound scores. Every each one of the characters have their own significant role and unique to each other. Amazing voice casting and big fan of the animation style. Possibly the best foreign animated movie of the year 2022 so far. Perfect ending and original song. Superb movie and highly recommended.
1 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
OMG...Too long and too annoying
strangewayssideshow27 September 2022
The idea of this story is a good one and the imagery is frequently beautiful and obviously the 2011 tsunami influenced this story but....

The characters are just so damn annoying. Kosuke and Natsume are just so freaking obnoxious. The constant bickering gets old. And, the bratty girl is the worst. The only likable character is the bigger boy in the red shirt; he's sweet.

But, worst of all, it's just way too long. This should have been 85 minutes tops. It's just endlessly repetitive and heavy handed with the "lessons" the kids learn.

I think a main problem is, the filmmakers desperately want to be Miyazaki but they don't understand how to do that. Miyazaki is the master of expressing complex ideas but in a very clear, concise way. It's why he's the Master.
3 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Nice visualization + Good music and story
leonardlucky-7347119 September 2022
Imagination is limitless in this film, with touching slow pace story, good enough to chill and watch.

The fun unimaginable adventure with lesson being grateful of one self and aware of the love one around!

There is no regrets and just really fun to watch!

Love the simplicity and the small adventure within with some mystery on the way to the end.

Good character build and backstory and still better than recent lots of other nonsense films outthere!

I definitely enjoy every bit from the start to the end.

Hopefully there are more Anime Films like this and keep your imaginary free and wild to the max!

Pretty nice!
3 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Pure Gold!
cliftonandrew-1632412 October 2022
This movie is a must watch it's pure gold! You can sit down and watch this masterpiece with the kids and family

A very emotional movie with a hint of action, adventure, fantasy and slice of life. Very comedic in the first part of the movie, adventurous and packed with action in the second act. The final act full with emotional surprises and amazing sound scores. Every each one of the characters have their own significant role and unique to each other. Amazing voice casting and big fan of the animation style. Possibly the best foreign animated movie of the year 2022 so far. Perfect ending and original song. Amazing movie and highly recommended.
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Amazing Movie, doesn't deserve this bad rating.
man-8437113 November 2022
The movie is great! It's better than most of the anime I had watched. The characters were unique and made me actually feel nervous, sad, angry, etc when the directors wanted me to. Their background is also interesting as well.

Animation The animation was absolutely stunning. The flowing water, the emotions, the backgrounds and setting... all beautiful. The use for shading and colors for the movie was well and used appropriately, making the movie irresistible to at least take a glance at. Props to the animators for making this indefinitely charming art!

Characters Though the characters were a bit bland, they definitely had more effort put into writing them. The "popular girl actually thought of the "nerd girl" fondly and even said she was her best friend. There is also an independent character who isn't edgy, which is quite nice.

Writing The directors and writers have done an amazing job with the backstories of the two main characters and tying together the main parts of the movie. The turning point and the shocking surprises here and there kept me engaged as well.

The writers put in common sense when dealing with the character's trauma and problems in their life and showed how they were effected by it. (I'm not going to say anything else bc spoilers.)
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Good enough............
owenpont-708034 November 2022
This films best quality is its animation. By far this is the best thing about it. The buildings moving in the water and the underwater scenes are great. The story is really original and if the movie was shortened by twenty minutes or so, it would have worked much better. The thing that massively holds this film back are the characters and runtime. The runtime is just under two hours and it drags. The films two leads keep apologizing to each other time and time agian to where its just annoying. The mysterious conclusion on what happened at the end just seemed cheap and that they didn't know how to end it. So while there are quite a lot of positives to keep the film afloat to me, it is certainly far from perfect. That saying I think a 7/10 is deserving seeing as the film worked enough to where it had more good then bad things for it.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Drifting and drifting and drifting ...
keikoyoshikawa30 October 2022
The main characters in this anime are supposed to be in sixth grade - meaning they're about 11 or 12 years old - but the way they talk and sometimes behave are not what Japanese children at this age usually do. And that's just one major problem in the movie that can't be overlooked.

I'm a big fan of anime that combines elements of reality and fantasy - e.g. Your Name, Her Blue Sky, etc. - but Drifting Home, by Studio Colorido which also produced a much better story in A Whisker Away, fails to give us convincing characters and situations. The story, ultimately, is vacuous and meandering, resulting in a very unsatisfying end.

I think had the characters been made to be in senior high school, then the plot could have been much better. Sadly, this was a missed opportunity that could have used a more thoughtful rewrite.
0 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The best movie I've ever watch
kh-57455-5049818 September 2022
This is a good movie, it has gathered enough elements to make viewers cry. I cried and felt a little nauseous while watching it. In terms of the film's visuals, the quality is really very good. As for the plot, the film has content like no other, which has made it new. The film also has another interesting aspect of aspect ratio. The music, the character design, the voice actors are both superb. Another plus for the film is that they have released the film globally, making it accessible to more people. I think this is the most meaningful anime movie in history. As well as worthy of being one of the best anime movies ever.
6 out of 21 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not nearly there
scriptofilmng21 September 2022
I love animes. Even the ones you'd find odd. But this just proved to be too much crambled into one film. It's once again the usual story of stories having potential but lacking proper execution.

Just ends up too messy and disorganized. Leaves no time at all to build with the story. This is not how you tell a story.

Many questions were left unanswered, and the problem was that it wasn't even deliberate. Not all grim and dark, of course it's a fair attempt but something just leaves you with a sour feeling that the movie could have been a whole lot better. At least for most parts.

Definitely not going to be top of my recommendations.
4 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Amazing animated movie, I gave a solid 10
oumaiimahamila21 September 2022
This movie is fantastically well written and the animation is just breathtaking! The story is so catching, thrilling, and filled with many subtle messages which you can perceive in many different ways. The interactions between the characters, the characters themselves and the events are very smartly written in a way that both young and adult audience can understand and interpret based on their level of intelligence and sensitivity. For me the movie is a success. It made me laugh and cry, and revisit many memories. Please watch it actively and passionately!

PS. The movie deserves better rates.
3 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The worst animated film released again. I hate Netflix anime!!
johndaler2 October 2022
I hate anime and that's why I never liked them anymore. I hated the Netflix animated movie "Drifting Home". This movie has more violence like for example: In the poster, it shows where the boy reaches the sky while the girl is about to get on top of it, but he might fall off the building. In the scene, there are more and more persons who dived in the water, and drowned to death is very violent. So pls don't watch this movie ever again, because Drifting Home is sucks. In several animes, those characters are so childish, they're sometimes acting like a kid, and I really don't like their voices. I rated 1 out of 10 cause I hate it. Anime might be discontinued in the future.
2 out of 15 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.