You, Me & the Christmas Trees (TV Movie 2021) Poster

The Christmas tree whisperer...
toddsgraham10 November 2021
As both leads are Hallmark regulars, I was looking forward to seeing 'You, Me & The Christmas Trees'. Moreover, Hallmark usually does a good job with selecting quality openers for their Countdown to Christmas series. However, I was disappointed with this year's kick-off. Put simply, the movie fell flat. The storyline revolves around Olivia (played by Danica McKellar), Connecticut's evergreen tree specialist. Days before the Christmas holiday, she agrees to help Jack (played by Benjamin Ayres), a fourth-generation evergreen farmer, with a mysterious illness that has befallen his trees, threatening his family's business. Olivia, who is known as the 'tree whisperer', immediately gets to work but is baffled by the illness and ends up extending her stay in the town of Avon. She and Jack begin to spend more time together, sowing the seeds of romance between the two. One element of the story that I did enjoy was the science of saving the trees, which, as others have pointed out, was a new Hallmark twist. That said, the script was rather weak, I am afraid. As other reviewers have suggested, many of the scenes and dialogue seemed forced such as Olivia's problem with her family (and whether to stay or go) and the falling out between the two towards the end of the movie. The latter, especially, felt awkward and artificial. Though I did have a few laughs, the dialogue too was at times not very convincing. The acting, I thought, was pretty good overall; McKellar and Ayres both had solid performances. Ayres had a warm and gentle vibe, which I enjoyed. At times, however, McKellar's performance felt slightly off, as there were some awkward expressions here and there (e.g., the café scene with her parents towards the end). The chemistry between the two was not bad, but given their talents in such roles, I would have expected more from both of them. To be fair, the script didn't help, which might explain some of what I am referring to here. As another reviewer observed, 'it just didn't seem to flow smoothly'. The supporting cast was rather low-key in this one. Yet, I did find Jason Hervey's performance (as Dwayne) to be a bit...how shall I put this...odd. Though given his 'villain' status in the story, maybe this was what he was going for. The movie did have a warm Christmas feel to it, which one expects from Hallmark. For example, there was the Christmas Cocktail Competition at the Cider Mill. May I have an 'evergreen cocktail' please? Overall, it is a decent, run-of-the-mill, Hallmark Christmas movie. No doubt, fans of the Christmas movie genre will enjoy it. However, given its opener (kick-off) status, it was a bit of a let-down.
25 out of 26 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Bland Christmas trees
TheLittleSongbird1 December 2021
Absolutely adore Christmas and Hallmark have done some above decent and more Christmas films over the years. As well as a fair share of misfires. 2021 was a typically inconsistent year for Hallmark in all their seasonal blockings, but considering the circumstances it turned out quite a lot better than expected. Part of me was expecting all the 2021 films of theirs to be mediocre or below but quite a lot were the opposite. Exactly the same with its 2020 output too.

'You Me and Christmas Trees' is a not particularly good start to the 2021 Countdown to Christmas block and did make me feel that the Christmas films that year were going to be pretty low in quality. The good news is that not all of them were below average, but as far as Hallmark's 2021 Countdown to Christmas films go, 'You Me and Christmas Trees' is one of the weaker ones. When it comes to the two leads, Benjamin Ayres is dependable in the right role and is one of the better things about the film but Danica McKellar (despite being one of the most popular regulars) shows why not all her typecast performances come off.

There are good things about 'You Me and Christmas Trees'. Ayres does a good job with what he's given, it is a typical role but one he performs with subtle charisma, easy charm and honesty. Did like his character, no overblown character flaws and not too perfect as well as some growth obvious.

It is a very nicely filmed film too and has beautiful scenery. The music isn't overused or melodramatic, which is good as that can be a failing with Hallmark. The supporting cast try their best with their material.

McKellar for my tastes tries too hard, it is a role that she does a lot (hence what is meant by typecasting) with varied success (sometimes charming, at other times bland) and she never looks relaxed and comes over as too manic. Complete with too many awkward moments early on. Didn't care for her somewhat tired character, who is not really fleshed out enough and is too much of one dimension. She and Ayres have moments of decent chemistry, but on the whole it is too subdued and is paced unevenly. Rather aimless for too much of the length and then any progression is unrealistically rushed.

While the supporting cast do competently but not exceptionally, Jason Hervey is another over-compensator in a role that is written as too much of a cliched cartoon. It is so at odds with the rest of the film and it was like he had walked onto the wrong set. Too much of the dialogue is too cheesy and schmaltzy, and the flow in the first half is not natural. A lot of the story badly drags, and it is also very slight and predictable for most of the length. Some of the later plot developments like the underwritten and forced conflict is rushed and not developed enough. The ending is too easy.

Concluding, lacklustre start to the 2021 Countdown to Christmas block. 4/10.
10 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Needed More Chemistry, Less Science
atlasmb19 November 2021
Olivia Arden (Danica McKellar) is a specialist in the science of evergreens. When she gets a call from the owner of a Christmas tree business, Jack Connor (Benjamin Ayres), she is willing to drop everything and go help him solve the mystery of his dying trees. It gives her a good excuse to avoid her parents' Christmas festivities.

The two leads in this Hallmark holiday romance have average chemistry. Their growing relationship is believable, even if it's not passionate. The central story-about the science of evergreens---occupies too much of the story, subordinating the more relevant plot of Olivia's transformation into someone who appreciates the holiday traditions.
6 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not the greatest kickoff
Jackbv12323 October 2021
Two great leads - Danica McKellar and Benjamin Ayers have decent chemistry. They have plenty of screen time.

Too many things seemed artificial. Olivia's problem with her family seems forced and suddenly everything changes. Jack's aversion to change is forced especially how it blows up. All the so-called science about the trees seems more like fantasy especially solving that particular problem in a couple days. The solution to the last crisis is way too easy, even if most viewers knew what caused it almost immediately. Even with chemistry, Olivia and Jack fall in love way too quickly. All the way through the movie, it just didn't seem to flow smoothly.

It's not a bad movie, but it doesn't stand out like the season kickoff should.
15 out of 18 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
You, Me, & The Christmas Trees
JoBloTheMovieCritic22 November 2021
5/10 - if you're willing to suspend your disbelief like you never have before and can embrace Danica McKellar's near constant overacting, you should enjoy this fairly pleasant Christmas offering.
8 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Has its moments but it's slow
jakethesnake-4200722 November 2021
I give the films props for not being just a romantic film and there actually being a storyline but boy it was slow. The film dragged on and on and on. There's moments but it's not enough to save the film.
6 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
What a sad way to start the Hallmark Christmas season
omijer24 October 2021
Sadly, this movie was one of the most disappointing Christmas movies Hallmark has ever put together. The stars are a big draw. One always wants to see Danica McKellar. She is such lovely young woman, and such a fine actress. Her very best recent film was A Crown for Christmas, which one can watch over and over. However, her role in this film was truly a waste of her talent and lovely looks. She is probably in her forties, and deserves a role which casts her as a more mature woman. Her appearance is still that of a younger person, with flowing long hair and flawless makeup. But one can't prolong those looks forever. Her facial expressions seem to range from happy to worried, with very little in between., Benjamin Ayers is an attractive leading man, but he mentions that he got his first Christmas tree ornament when he was born 27 years ago. This was surely a big stretch on the part of the writers since both leading actors must be in their forties by now.

The plot of the film was predictable. The romance seemed to come out of nowhere, with no real development or buildup. The movie felt formulaic, like Hallmark checked off all the boxes that had to be covered in a holiday movie, but neglected to add real feelings, really mature human emotions, and a less predictable story line.

Let us hope that future holiday films reach for bit of a higher standard and more originality. Loyal Hallmark viewers deserve more and better.
10 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not bad but the chemistry was lacking
Sergiodave24 November 2021
It's the time of the year for non-stop corny Christmas movies where you know the ending before the first line has been spoken, and I love it, though don't tell anyone. Even though the two leads lacked that certain something it was an okay movie set in the typical Utopian wonderland inhabited by all Hallmark actors. Not taxing on the brain cells but might put a smile on your face, unless you're a grouch.
4 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Needles Schmeedles
rebekahrox9 November 2021
I've never been a member of the Danica McKellar fan club except when she was Winnie on The Wonder Years. I also like her advocacy for girls and math in real life. I'm a little troubled about why she signed an exclusive contract with GAC family. A network which, apparently, is an alternative for those who are uncomfortable with Hallmarks new commitment to diversity, and their more inclusive view of "family values". Personally, I like Hallmark's more friendly view of "Family" better these days. We'll see. Anyway, Danica always looks troubled and worried about something or other. She has a resting frowny face. Although I recognize that she is accounted to be very attractive, her looks have never appealed to me.

Danica aside, this was a big miss for me. Although the science was kind of interesting at first, the whole process drew out way too long. Do your scientist thing, solve the problem, and move on from the rather boring problem of falling tree needles. Both of the leads' crises were of their own making. Farmer Ben Ayres did not have a back-up plan, as Danica relentlessly pointed out, and Danica was not open and honest with her mother, preferring to be a victim, I guess. I admit Danica is pretty good conveying victimhood. Farmer Ben Ayers kept saying he did not want to diversify because the advice from his father was to do one thing well rather than many things poorly. Well, he didn't do his "one thing" very well, did he? I do usually like Ben Ayers. He is very good playing masculine kind of grouchy men. So he was pretty well-cast as a stubborn loner-type farmer whose Christmas Trees were dying right before Christmas.

Taking a page from a trend of reuniting actors from old shows, Jason Hervey, also, like Danica, of The Wonder Years, played the bad guy. Coincidence? I don't think so.
8 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Slow start to Countdown to Christmas
RenT-8306524 October 2021
I was so excited for Countdown to Christmas to kickoff this year. I'm definitely the Christmas 365 kind of girl and couldn't wait for the premiere movie this year. 🎄🍿🎥 Unfortunately, this one fell flat and leaves much to be desired. A little disappointed this is the movie Hallmark chose for the big kickoff. I really hope it's not a sign of things to come for the season.

You me and the Christmas trees isn't bad but it's certainly not good. It's a long, tedious 2 hours to get through what you kind of suspect from the ending. Danika and Benjamin are great leads but their characters leave much to be desired. Olivia is beyond socially awkward, she's whiny and not really likable. Jack, along with Olivia and her mom all have deep personality flaws that magically change at the end after a few conversations?

Overall, not planning to watch again and hoping for better things to come with the remaining Countdown to Christmas movies.
9 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Fun Christmas Flick
brennancmb1212 November 2021
Hallmark got lucky w Benjamin Ayres he does look like he's having fun. The movie was a bit goofy at times like how they're literaly coming to tears over Christmas trees and hot cocoa. Over tha top but worth a watch.
5 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Just bad. And not in a good way.
mccabe-shannon23 October 2021
I'm a Hallmark Christmas junkie. This is just bad. The acting is atrocious (neither are my favorites in the first place but it's pathetic. At one point she yawns and I started to laugh). It's a silly premise. No super likable side characters. I like that she is a smart scientist. And I can't tell if the acting was good at portraying a socially awkward person or it it was really just so bad. I don't even know what the stars are for- maybe just the cheesy formula I love since I'm a sap.

I can't believe this is the one they choose to kick off countdown to Christmas. I hope that isn't a sign of what's to come.

Oh and did he say "this is the year I was born, 27 years ago?! Please tell me I heard that wrong. He is 44 years old. She is what 46. They definitely aren't late 20s.

It's not even over and I just had to write this it's just. Bad.
11 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Blah ...
toncincin24 October 2021
Was really kind of stupid. The whole thing. She saves the trees by coming up with a tablet I can probably buy at Home Depot. Rah Rah Rah... and for as sad as that town square tree looked - it sure was green by the time they turned on the lights. Who writes this stuff? Danica McKeller looks good for her age - but she always plays the same character. Benjamin Ayres was the only redeeming factor - although I still see the doctor on Saving Hope. Pretty silly story. Weak plot. Bad acting for the most part. Not impressive for the Hallmark 2021 Christmas movie kickoff. Let's hope the movies get better or it's lights out ...
10 out of 15 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I was bored
lisam10025 October 2021
I like both actors individually but I found they had little romantic chemistry together. Much better chemistry as friends. I also found the storyline quite boring. I wouldn't watch it again. Sorry!
9 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Same old stuff
cujorocky23 October 2021
Tired, worn out, predictable, routine Hallmark movie. Lead man has 5 days growth of course, awkward 1st meetings, interrupted 1st kiss, the misunderstanding. Every one of these is the same as the last. Lousy dialogue. Danica, one of our 3 favorite actresses was wasted in this. Not bad, not good, just unmemorable. Boring. Hallmark needs new writers badly.
14 out of 21 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Shameful waste
Racingphan223 October 2021
What a shameful waste of two of the best Hallmark standards, Danica McKellar and Ben Ayers. The premise is also original to the Hallmark Christmas movie genre, but it's wasted with the same old slog through the same old tired Christmas "traditions". By the halfway mark, I was praying for for all the Christmas trees to burst into flames.
11 out of 17 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Kind of pathetic, honestly.
MIssM1925 October 2021
Jack sells Christmas trees for a living, he is fourth generation doing so and he is very proud of that. Olivia is a scientist, she has several degrees, one of them in forestry (which I just found out it's a thing). His trees are not well so he contacts her to help him during the busy season.

Average. At most. Danica and Benjamin had passable chemistry. You don't spend enough time with the secondary characters to like them. The storyline was okay. I don't know if any of the things she did and say were true but I believed her. Anyways, i'm not here to learn science.

Now onto the things that bothered me.

1. Jack mentions he is 27 years old. Not one soul is gonna believe it. More like 27 years in the business of selling trees.

2. One thing that TRULY annoys me in these movies? The empty cups and suitcases. Danica lifted the suitcase by the handle. It was clearly empty, otherwise it might break or at least it would be difficult.

3. Olivia was a grown woman, why is she complaining to her parents like she is a 7 year old? Just do whatever you want to do. I didn't like that storyline of hers.

4. Two people of color who we barely saw, and that's it. Come Hallmark, more diversity, we talked about this! A few movies a year won't do it.

So... I kind of fell asleep for a minute while watching this. It was okay, not the best one to start the season, but I like both leads so I gave it a try.
12 out of 19 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Good Movie
mjpatterson-2008513 November 2021
Good story. Good actors. Not the best Hallmark movie, but enjoyable. Enjoyed the family situatios. Loved Danica being her typical smart math self. Don't have much else to say. Trying to reach the 150 character limit.
5 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
It's a No for me...
folkmusicgirly24 October 2021
I'm a huge fan of Hallmark movies. Especially the Christmas ones. But what on earth was this movie? Who on the editing team at Hallmark was ok with the final cut of this film? Danica is one of the better Hallmark actresses in my opinion...but this script was not for her. It was awkward, artificial, and uncomfortable. The leading couple had no chemistry, nothing appeared to happen organically, and even the "kisses" were uncomf. I won't blame the actors though...I blame the directing, the screenwriter, and the editing. Do better Hallmark. Do better.

Oh yeah, and did they ever figure out how to save the the trees permanently? Who knows. I guess the screenwriter couldn't figure it out, so they just went ahead and left us hanging. #itsanoforme.
10 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Where do I even start.
HorrorManic31 October 2021
Such an infuriating movie. So she's an arborist but doesn't do anything related to the profession at all? She's an "evergreen expert"? Seriously, didn't realize that was a profession. If she's a scientist, what an insult to be called a tree expert.

He's a farmer that only grows Christmas trees? How does he make enough to cover the year? Also he said it's because it brings joy? What about growing local crops for people in the town.

Now the little things. In the beginning he hits her car so bad that the tailpipe falls off, yet there's no noticeable damage and that tow driver says the engine would stall? What? Seriously so many things in this movie that just make zero sense. I know it's a hallmark movie but come on, put some effort into selling the idea of the world. She comes for work but spends the time doing so little actual work and when she does work it's clipping a few pines or setting up some ridiculous beaker and lab desk from a high-school class room.

I usually like hallmark movies because they are cheesy and fun. This is just poor writing. The jokes aren't funny or clever, the characters are wooden like the brother or the typical bad guy tree seller.

Oh and I almost forgot to mention the cop in this movie who looks like he's 20 years old, like really?

I'd skip this one for sure.
8 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
So so
dorrcoq23 October 2021
I think Jack's character said they had an ornament on the tree for every year, and showed Olivia the one from the year he was born "27 years ago". Come on...in real life he's 44 and she's 46...were we really supposed to think they were in their 20's? And the big tree in the town square sure reverted to green fast!
11 out of 15 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I enjoyed it.
jjparish26 October 2021
I know it was kinda formulaic and not much really happens but i am so ready for a bit of christmas cheer after this horrendous 2nd covid year that i really enjoyed this. And yes it is early to kick off the christmas season but who cares. I love danica's movies. She is such a fine actress and woman and i cant believe she is 46! She is so beautiful. Well done hallmark.
6 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Cheesy tree puns
mirvelt5 November 2021
The main character should have been a single dad because this movie is filled with dad jokes. This movie was entertaining just for the puns. I love Benjamin Ayres in these movies, and have enjoyed some Danica McKeller ones too. I think he did a good job here but this wasn't her best. Still worth watching IMO.
5 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Pandemic pinking of nits.....needlessly
htwyzwhvn26 October 2021
As I look over the reviews, it seems the weariness and grumpiness from the past 18 months infected many of the reviews, much like the trees in this movie. This movie may not deserve an Oscar, but the typical Hallmark hallmarks, love, family, tradition and friends, are all present. Taken at face value, just enjoy something that try's to share a little joy and hope. To the reviewer that played the ever present diversity card, give it a rest. Love, joy and family knows no color or any other diverse group. It's the same for all of us, regardless of who portrays a character in a movie.

I enjoyed everybody in this movie no matter how large or small the role was, what color, faith or lifestyle was portrayed.
9 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Let's see..
brisakriner1 November 2021
The storyline was good, this pair has onscreen chemistry, however, to be such a hyped-up tree specialist it would have been nice for her to find the actual problem vs just figuring out someone else was damaging the trees. It would be nice to see more onscreen chemistry if it's a "Love Story", if it's just friendship let them build on that. Not everything has to end with a kiss.
4 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.