The Search for Santa Paws (Video 2010) Poster

They call this a Christmas movie? A mean spirited pile of garbage is more like it.
j-jessie-weaver11 December 2017
This is absolutely the most mean spirited, dark and depressing excuse of a movie that Walt Disney Pictures has ever made. If you expect me to believe this is a Christmas movie, you are sadly mistaken. There are barely any lighthearted moments and the rest of the film is just scenes of the sadistic orphanage owner mentally abusing the children; Especially threatening the two girls of throwing them into an incinerator. She even has the GALL to confiscate Quinn's angel Christmas decoration; Mind you, the only thing she has left to remind her of her deceased mother. I cannot even believe this was fine to put in a movie centered around the holiday about the birth of Jesus. It is absolutely mind-boggling.

As if that wasn't bad enough, Santa loses his memory, gets separated from Paws, who, by the way, is one of the few likable characters in this movie, becomes mortal and almost dies. Yes, I did, indeed, say that. Santa Claus almost dies. And to top it all off, Paws and Quinn are nearly killed in the incinerator when she rescues him. Let me remind you, this is a movie that presents itself as cute and happy to a young target audience. Do the scenes I just mentioned sound like a Christmas movie to you? No? I think that proves my point.

The Air Buddies franchise may be the most terrible thing ever to be spawned into existence, but at least it's positive and has a lighthearted tone to it. The Search for Santa Paws? NO. There is nothing to like about this film, point blank period. It is ugly, disgusting and depressing in every facet. I honestly do not see this as a Christmas movie. It does not deserve to be called a family holiday film and could easily scare kids or give them nightmares.

Paws and the dogs are only a lazy gimmick and the writing is abysmal. The only actors who felt like they were putting effort into their performances were the kids, the people playing Santa, Mrs. Claus, the child who voiced Paws and the elves. The rest of the cast is just flat out cold and lifeless. I also forgot to mention that this movie has some of the worst CGI that I've seen in years.

If you want to see a good Christmas movie, see Rudolph or any of the other classics. Disney, for someone who has watched your movies since she was little, you have a really disappointed viewer. This movie outright destroys the true meaning of Christmas. If you ask me, it should've been rated PG-13.
5 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Kids will love it
JenEvans130 November 2010
Watched this with our grandchildren aged eight and four and they were absolutely enthralled! I can understand why the other reviewer criticised it, if you compare it to the Santa Clause ones, then it certainly falls short but then most Christmas films would, wouldn't they?. Just because a film is not the best one in a category doesn't mean that its a failure. This one certainly isn't! Don't forget you are dealing with children here and they have not seen the hundreds of Christmas films that we adults have. I would guess that they are not watching to see whether the dog's voices are in sync with their mouths, either.... My grandchildren loved it. I won't hear a word against it. Nuff said?
18 out of 24 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
This is a Christmas movie for KIDS?
bunecarlos17 December 2010
The talking animals and kids are cute, and if you can make it past the cruel orphanage administrator who casts children into a creepy basement as a punishment and a dying Santa in a hospital (that included an oxygen mask and tubes!), you just might like the happy ending in the last 5 minutes of this awful movie.

My 8-year old twins either just sat there quietly or cried throughout, as my wife and I reassured them that Santa wouldn't die.

Richard Riehle is a good actor (see: Office Space), but miscast as a odd-looking, less-than-robust Santa. Most mall Santas would have been a better choice.
10 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A bit bland
rds_112 November 2010
I can't agree with the other reviewer (the one that is advising this movie as opposed to recommending it!?). Don't just trust reviewers that give the full rating.

This movie is more in line with the low quality we've been seeing more and more the last 5-10 years. Nickelodean started with this low quality crap, Disney followed when they saw that this low quality stuff still got a decent amount of cash in.

I like a good Christmas movie (like Santa Clause and Jingle All the Way) but this isn't it. It is however mildly amusing, would like to give it 5.5 stars but had to round it up.

Summary Santa goes to New York with his dog to get the Christmas spirit going some more but soon gets hit by a car and gets mugged losing his magic crystal and his memory by the blow. The dog ends up searching for Santa and Santa himself ends up as a store Santa. Making the little shop very successful. Everything else is very cliché.

Now the acting looks very acted. The script is pretty lame too. Has the overall feel of a children's play. Oh yeah there is the occasional "burst out in singing" too (who likes that, no really who?).

The special effects aren't to good either. Looks rather fake, the reindeer, the magic sparkles. The moving mouths of the animals speaking are pretty good though.

Oh by the way this Santa is one of the most scary looking Santa's I've seen in these sort of movies. They tried to make him look like the jolly Santa often portrayed in coloring pictures but that doesn't work very well in real life, especially the blush cheeks.
10 out of 15 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Too Scary for Target Audience
carrie-linscott17 December 2010
I watched this movie with my daughters, ages 6 and 3, and personally enjoyed many aspects of it, but my children were pretty scared. As mentioned by another reviewer, the images of children being yelled at and having their special toys burned in the furnace were very disturbing, especially for my 6-year-old. The movie presents some important themes, such as the healing power of love and kindness. But, unfortunately, I'm not sure the target audience (young children) will be able to see past the scary parts to catch the messages.

I also agree with the reviewer who said the Santa was a little scary-looking. His character is wonderful, but he has so much make-up on, he does look a bit strange.

Overall, I would not recommend it for kids younger than 7--and I'm not sure if it would hold the interest of kids older than that, unless they really love puppies and Santa.
5 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
AWFUL for young or sensitive viewers. Spoiler Alert.
missramsey3 December 2010
Prescreen SANTA PAWS before you let your little kids watch. Cute puppy and Santa on cover, looks fun and innocent.

Inside, old man dies, mean headmistress throws toys and threatened to throw children in the incinerator. Infertile couple with self centered husband. Orphans crying for their parents. People saying Santa isn't real through the whole movie. Santa gets robbed, hit by a car, then he almost DIES. The only way to save him is for the beloved fluffy puppy to give up his crystal and turn back into a stuffed animal.

Of course it ends well but we had to fast forward A lot. My 3.5 year old was very upset and was horrified through everything but the cute puppy and jolly Santa parts.

In my opinion, this movie focuses too much on how rotten people are and not nearly enough on the Christmas spirit and goodwill that the cover and description sets you up for.

I don't' know anything about the other 'buddies' movies, but I would not buy this movie for children under 5 who still believe in Santa.
9 out of 15 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Unbelievably Distubing "Kid's Movie"
k-pedana225 January 2011
This was, hands down the most awful, disturbing "kid's movie" I've ever seen. My 2 year old daughter was horrified and confused as I promised her a cute doggy movie... and had to reassure her that a doggy was going to appear on screen soon. I, too, was fooled by the cute fluffy white puppy on the cover of the DVD. 20 min in, no sign of a dog! Terrible story line, horrible acting and the scariest looking Santa ever!!!!! I thought I was at times watching "Annie". Having orphan girls mop floors with old metal buckets, sleep in the basement next to an incinerator, and dressed like characters out of the original "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory". Yet, the head Mistress drove a lime green VW Beetle and wore hooker boots for her date with the freaking dog catcher... Santa almost dies, the puppy nearly gets burned, a preschooler jumps into an incinerator to save a stuffed animal... weird, creepy, awful, disturbing... the four words to describe this horrendous movie. I'm embarrassed for Disney!
6 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
My kids wanted to go to bed instead of watching the rest of this movie
ddkub14 December 2010
I can't even begin to explain how horrible this movie was. My kids thought they were going to get a funny movie about a puppy. But instead they got scared out of their minds. Halfway through the movie they ASKED to go to bed. A big point of the movie was the foster mom (was that what she was? or was it an orphanage....but they don't have those anymore) was MEAN. She wouldn't let any of the kids have toys of any kind. If she found them, she would burn them. Now imagine my 4 year old who just LOVES all of his stuffed animals witnessing another child's doll getting incinerated. He was fairly traumatized, despite our protests that it was just a movie. The worst part was that she was mean just to be mean, and there was no redemption. The Santa was really creepy looking as another reviewer pointed out. There are many other issues I had with it, but there is really no point. It's just to bad that there wasn't much funny puppy stuff in it. It was mostly people talking, or crying, or being mean.
9 out of 17 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Good Kids Movie
msnellen8229 November 2010
I really enjoyed this movie, and my two girls, age 4 and 1 did as well. The plot line was great, with a lot of suspense. It's just like one of the Buddies movies, without the Buddies. Its has a lot of the same characters as the Santa Buddies movie, which was a little confusing for my 4 year old Buddies lover, when there were no buddies in the movie. This seems like it could be more of a prequel to the Santa Buddies movie. Unlike the previous review, I thought the animated characters looked pretty life like. Of course their mouths moving aren't going to look like humans mouths moving! But if you are familiar with the Buddies movies, you know, and are used to that. I hope you and your children enjoy this movie as much as me and mine did!
8 out of 15 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Complete Garbage
FrostByghte24 December 2010
You would expect a seasonal family movie to bring the family together and have something for everyone. This movie fails to do anything but waist your time and your children's time.

Poor acting, bad effects, and terrible casting...hands down it's just a stupid movie. Go grab something good like A Christmas Story or find another classic. It's a chore to even sit through this piece of junk. The only positive aspect about this intensive pile of rubbish is that it ends.

The holiday movie mill churned out this piece of garbage and you are better off finding something else to see.
6 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Possibly the worst film my kids and I have ever been subjected to
user58126 November 2012
My daughter was hoping for a cute film about puppies. I was hoping she'd see a film about people learning to get along, be tolerant and nice to each other. What we got was the most cynical, cliché'd piece of dog waste I think I may ever have seen out of the Disney marketing machine. It's like a 90 minute long toy commercial that sets out to teach kids that anyone who doesn't lie to their kids about Santa Claus is stupid, evil, wrong, has bad things happen to them, and that they deserve it. Every. Single. Character. So much for tolerance.

The story, if it can be called that, hardly serves even as an excuse to string together the same tired old cliché's without bringing anything new or fun to them at all. The main title character, unable to move, nearly gets burned alive in an incinerator. This is by an evil, stupid 1 dimensional character who doesn't believe in Santa Claus and thus ends up being kicked out of her home and into the streets. This is despite the fact that she thought he was a toy and not alive. When she loses her job and home, we're obviously supposed to cheer at this point, reveling in "the Christmas Spirit".

This film is what you would have gotten if a less competent Joseph Goebbells (Hitler's propaganda guy) had made a Christmas movie. I only wish it was possible to erase it from my daughters memory forever.

Sickening.
4 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Terrible movie for young children! Read reviews before you show them!
kalucas-1603418 November 2018
I wish we had read reviews before we showed this to our 8 year olds. We turned it off after 20 minutes of watching the creepy Santa be sad a friend dies, and then get hit by a car and robbed, while his dog gets lost in New York. Not to mentioned the terrible orphanage where the kids can't celebrate Christmas, have toys, or sing, and a girl gets caught with a doll so the head lady throws it in the incinerator, then the girls say they have been threatened to get thrown in there as well. Horribly traumatizing and we turned it off. What started as excitement to watch a cute family Christmas film together left us all feeling lousy and the kids feeling too scared to go to bed. Compelte crap, Disney!
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Very scary.
naunga19 December 2015
This is a dark, dark movie. It is certainly not a feel-good holiday movie.

It starts with Santa getting a letter about a friend passing away.

From there it's constant peril:

* Santa gets hit by a car and robbed in the street.

* There's a crooked foster mother who locks children in the basement and burns their toys in a garbage incinerator.

* One of the little girls actually gets into the incinerator to save the dog (who is now a stuffed dog) from being incinerated.

* Santa ends up in the hospital near death, and his elf's efforts to save him seem to be a failure.

My 7 year old daughter looked at me in the middle of it and said, "this is really scary."

Granted in the end there's a happy ending, but it really doesn't offset the peril that the viewer has to endure.

I do not recommend it.
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Too Intense for young viewers. Avoid! Avoid!
mdluckydog24 December 2010
I choose this DVD because there was a cute puppy on the cover, it looks fun and innocent, and Disney's promo said "heartwarming ... story of love and kindness."

As a previous reviewer noted: Inside, old man dies, mean headmistress throws toys - and threatened to throw children - in the incinerator. Infertile couple with self-centered husband tries to profiteer off people's belief in Santa. Orphans crying for their parents. People saying Santa isn't real through the whole movie. Santa gets robbed, hit by a car, then he almost dies. The only way to save him is for the beloved fluffy puppy to give up his "life-crystal" and turn back into a stuffed animal.

Of course it ends well, but my seven year old was in tears, and my nine year old (who will watch ANYTHING) said she hated it and just wanted to go to bed.

For a movie aimed at children, this movie goes WAY TOO FAR to make the villains bad. Avoid! Avoid!

Also - apart from being developmentally inappropriate for children under 11 or 12 - anyone concerned with the religious significance of Christmas should be forewarned that this film depicts possession of a crystal as essential to eternal life and repeatedly refers to "magic" as the key to understanding and experiencing Christmas.
3 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The Most HORRIFIC "KIDS" Move I've Ever Seen
kellyhenault11 December 2013
**SPOILER** This is by far the most disturbing, horrifying "kids" movie I have ever seen in my entire life with "Santa isn't real" being the least traumatic part of the movie that I had to explain to my 3 year old. What I thought was going to be a light and fun Christmas movie lead to me feeling like the worst parent in the world for subjecting my 3 year old to such a thing. I turned it on for my daughter once while I was cleaning so I wasn't paying attention but when I laid down to watch it with her a few days later I could not believe what I was watching. I was upset when my child turned to me during the movie and asked "Santa isn't real?" but then when she said "that mean lady is going to put the dog in the fire now" (the stuffed dog that was once real is put into an incinerator) I was completely horrified! If you think your child would be into a movie with orphans crying for their parents while under the care of an awful woman who yells at them, takes away their toys, locks them in the basement for punishment and puts a stuffed dog into an incinerator that ends with Santa almost "dying" (yes, they honestly say "Santa is going to die") then this movie is for you. I can't believe this movie even exists.
2 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The most mean-spirited, unwatchable, unpleasant, irredeemable excuse for a Christmas movie ever
trashboat-2969213 December 2018
Of all the Christmas movies I've watched over the years this one feels like the worst. It's like the writers weren't even trying to entertain us, what do they show us? Everyone in the North Pole discovering someone died, a bunch of orphan girls who are kept under the care of a heartless, angry, mentally and emotionally abusive woman who always treats them horribly and has no chance of redemption, Santa getting hit by a taxi and having amnesia, a puppy about to get burned in a furnace, and Santa about to die......

HOW DOES ANY OF THAT FIT INTO A FAMILY FILM ABOUT CHRISTMAS??????? WHAT WAS DISNEY THINKING??????????? This movie should not have been made, all the characters are unlikable, the songs suck, and worst of all, it's too depressing and mean-spirited to sit through. Christmas is a time for spreading joy and this film is the last film you would want to sit through if you want to watch a film to get you into the Christmas spirit, you want to be happy during Christmas time? Watch A Charlie Brown Christmas, The Year Without A Santa Claus, Santa Claus Is Comin' To Town, How The Grinch Stole Christmas, A Christmas Carol (any version will do), Frosty The Snowman, A Christmas Story, National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation, Home Alone, The Polar Express, The Nightmare Before Christmas, Elf, It's A Wonderful Life, and Rudolph The Red Nosed Reindeer; those films are guaranteed to get anyone into the Christmas spirit.
Not the best or worst
ericstevenson16 December 2017
This is another entry in the Buddies film series, a spinoff from the "Air Bud" movies. This doesn't even have "Buddies" in the title, nor does it seem to have any of the original characters! This movie features Santa losing his memory and then becoming a mall Santa. A stuffed dog that he brought to life has to help him. I actually am glad they didn't focus too much on the animals. That lip movement can get very creepy.

Good movies like "Homeward Bound" and "Babe: Pig In The City" handled talking animals much better. One distracting part was the horrible special effects with the reindeer. They were so fake looking and creepy! At least Santa getting amnesia was kind of original. I'm glad there weren't any dog farts in this. They're too common in the Buddies films. **
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Spoiler Alert: if you haven't seen this movie yet.
andersoncaseylee2469 March 2016
I loved this movie and it came out when I was 19 yrs old and I loved it, because of the singing, and of course i was a little disturbed by the mean orphanage administrator lady, but luckily in the end she was banned from that house, and that was funny if you recall another little Disney movie called "The Parent Trap" the one with Lindsay lohan not the 60's parent trap the 1998 one is the one i'm talking about. the mean administrator lady was like the gold digger girlfriend/fiancé of Nick Parker just so you know. And in the end of both of them they both got what they deserved and the happy ending should or is supposed to make up for the awful beginning and middle of the movie and especially when you see will and Quinn get adopted by the huckles/hucklebuckle's and the hucklebuckle's grandfather's lawyer Mr. Stewart after he left and looked up in the sky and said, "Merry Christmas, you got your wish".
Wonderful family film
vchimpanzee30 December 2015
At the North Pole, a stuffed white dog turns into a real animal Santa Claus names Paws, who becomes the old man's best friend.

In New York City, Mr. Stewart brings James and Kate Huckle to the Hucklebuckle toy store James' grandfather left to him. Despite James having a lucrative CPA practice in Los Angeles, the couple cannot sell the business until they run it profitably during the weeks leading to Christmas.

Nearby, a social worker brings Quinn to her new foster family. Ms. Stout hates Christmas, or anything that will make her girls happy, and she has high expectations of the girls, who are home-schooled and must do chores. Punishment means being locked in the basement where an incinerator destroys any contraband.

Quinn won't talk at first but when she does, she is incredibly cute. And she can sing. Willamina is the oldest and takes charge when Ms. Stout is gone to her hairdresser or elsewhere. She is nice but unlike the other girls has lost her belief in magic.

Santa's sleigh crashes in Central Park and the old man wanders the city not knowing who he is. Paws also ends up wandering the city. A thief steals Santa's magic crystal and Santa gradually begins transforming into a mortal. The thief takes over a kettle with a bell from another Santa and raises funds--for himself.

Santa discovers the toy store. James and Kate have decided to hire a Santa to attract kids and this man, known as Bud, needs a job. Somehow he is perfect and lots of kids come to the store, which becomes a big success.

Included among those kids are the bubbly Quinn and her cynical "big sister", both of whom get punished for their misdeeds. For one thing, they took in Paws and kept him hidden, though as a nonbeliever Willamina only sees a stuffed dog. And Paws, like Santa, has a magic crystal that produces wonderful and colorful results, and a delightful musical number. Will the girls turn Ms. Stout into a believer? Will Willamina believe?

Mrs. Santa wonders why her husband is taking so long to come back. She and Elpert go to New York City to find out what happened. They find out from a young boy where Santa might be. Also very helpful is that thief who stole Santa's magic crystal and is turning into the old man--and is not as happy as you might expect.

Meanwhile, Santa is developing serious health problems. And Paws becomes a stuffed animal again. Can they be rescued in time?

This is a good family film. Kaitlyn Maher is a treasure as the absolutely adorable little star. Richard Riehle is familiar to me and makes a great Santa. I know Wendi McLendon-Covey as a smothering and very loving Jewish mom, and she effectively plays a very different character here (though not so different from when the TV mom feels her kids have been wronged). Madison Pettis is good as the older girl.

Bonnie Somerville shows much more enthusiasm than the cynical John Ducey. Patrika Darbo makes a wonderful Mrs. Santa. I seem to be seeing a lot of her.

And the various actors providing voices do a good job too.

Yes, this movie can be scary at times, but it's fine for kids. You just know everything will turn out okay.
Terrible Movie!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
badtoro28 December 2010
I was expecting a family movie. Instead, it was an unnecessarily evil and depressing disaster. Families beware... this movie is awful. The story line includes young orphans frequently referencing their dead parents ("they didn't make it"), a homeless man who robs Santa of the "magic crystal" that gives him his life and who at the end of the movie is never held to account, an evil, mean-spirited caretaker of an orphanage (who remains mean throughout the movie), scenes of dolls and stuffed animals incinerated at the hands of the evil headmistress, and last but not least, Santa clause on his death bed, being watched over by the "head elf" who at one point answers a young girl's question, "is he going to make it" with a grim shake of his head.
3 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Creepy Annie Rip-Off
sweetmarissa26 December 2013
This is a horribly-acted rip-off of Annie. And with the creepiest looking Santa Claus thrown in for good measure. They couldn't find an actual bearded old man to act as Santa. Instead, they used a ton of what appears to be plaster on the actor's face. The result looked like botched plastic surgery. I'm an adult and this is going to give me nightmares. Stuffing him full of tubes in a hospital bed was pretty traumatic for my daughter. No one needs to see Santa like that! Also, the black dog being given a Jamaican accent is racist. I thought this would be a feel-good movie. Stick to Miracle on 34th Street or the actual movie Annie instead.
2 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
load of dog cap
jizwon12326 February 2012
my sister bought this dog crap one day, and we watched it, and instantly regretted it. the film is so boring, and has the worst story ever, the little girl so annoying not even cute, the producer should have choose another little girl who can at least speak clearly. I cant even believe this film was made in the year 2010, so crappy, and not modern at all. such a wasted cause. do not waste your valuable time on this dog crap. worst movie of 2010. should have won all the razzies, please this movie will leave you regrets thats how bad the movie is. now we come on the acting, which was unimpressive. the songs were b.s and the film failed to make you cry.
2 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Clichés, Bad Acting, Terrible Message
JaenosJelantru7 December 2012
(mild spoiler below) "Manos, Hands of Fate" notwithstanding, this may be the worst movie I've ever seen. Full of clichés, terrible acting, continuity flaws, and predictability.

The worst two things so far: They show a homeless man that turns into a thief and steals from Santa. They show a foster parent who basically runs a really mean and dangerous orphanage. Thanks Disney for teaching children these valuable lessons. I work with homeless people and am personally a foster parent to three children. This movie is awful.

Kids may be easily duped by movies like this but I feel its not only a bad movie, but also very irresponsible.
Cute
Myztical22 November 2011
Although I might agree with a few that have noted some issues with the religious aspects of the movie....get over it. !!!!! This is a kids movie with live action, traditional Christmas animation & corny special effects designed just for kids. It's a feel good movie that proves that not everyone understands why Christmas is celebrated.

The movie contains a song that I believe will become a Christmas tradition with many children's & school choir's in the coming years it's a real feel good song. The children really make this song come to life. celebrating exactly how children see the Christmas holidays.

Grab the kids, a few cookies & some hot chocolate and settle in for a movie about something bigger than ourselves and ENJOY !!!!
Great Christmas Movie
toniannholmes20 December 2010
I absolutely loved this movie. It does have sort of an "Annie" feel to it with the orphanage and the singing orphans! And of course the mean lady in charge of the orphanage was just as mean if not meaner than Miss. Hannigan. The puppy named Paws was just adorable! I would recommend this to everyone who wants to feel good at Christmas and all year long. Be careful though. Some younger children might be frightened by the mean lady. She is very mean. She doesn't allow the little girls to have any toys and no Christmas decorations. The DVD has extra features after the movie that are just too cute! My 8 1/2 year old son watched it and fell in love with it! Enjoy!