Studio 666 (2022) Poster

(2022)

Silly, dumb, stoopid. But boy, is it fun.
stevelivesey6719 March 2022
Lots of laughs, lots of gore, lots of bad acting, bad editing and direction, but, despite all this, I had a lot of fun watching it.

Grohl is pretty good, the rest of the band, not so much.

To be picky, in a movie that is not meant to be taken too seriously, it is a bit too long and that is not how you wire a car, Pat!!
48 out of 57 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Exactly the B-movie ride I was expecting
stu-miller-353-32989325 February 2022
I don't know if some misguided people were expecting to walk in to a polished, Hollywood big budget masterpiece, but that was certainly never the MO here. The trailers showed us that.

The acting sometimes verges on cringe-makingly awful, but the kills, thrills and gore are plentiful and, overall, the film is fun, even if it does sometimes meander aimlessly. You can tell they had fun making this.

Our beloved Foos do well with what they're given, but in terms of script, even if they're not given an awful lot, their sense of fun prevails.
49 out of 57 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The devil made me do it
kosmasp27 February 2022
We all know that Rock music is the devils work ... right? Right? No? Ok kidding aside (though pun certainly intended), you have to have the right mind set to watch this movie. Liking (or even loving) the Foo Fighters doesn't hurt either. Have to admit that my knowledge of them is more or less Dave Grohl - what a fun and funny Dude he seems to be. Maybe not the "character" he's playing here - but in real life.

Apart from the mood, you also have to be aware that the Foo Fighters are not trained or learned actors. It never bothered me a bit to be honest - but I read and have heard a lot of comments about their "inability" to act. I personally give them kudos for what they achieved. Yes there are moments that are weird to say the least - but you can always see them in the disguise of comedy and making fun of themselves - which they clearly do.

There is enough gore and blood to keep you on the edge, but also a lot of comedy too. Yes the pacing may be weird at times, but I enjoyed even the silent moments. And everything sort of makes sense in the end. I did not watch trailers, but many things seem to be out in the open even before you watch the movie - still this is a fun ride and if you spoil it and get too technical (no pun intended) ... you just are making it harder for yourself.
45 out of 69 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The Foo Fighters vs the Forces of Darkness. It's likeable crazy comedy horror
Quinoa198426 February 2022
Once again we come to a movie where I'm uncertain if 2 or 15 stars is what I'd give it, so I'll settle on 7, this despite the fact that stars don't really matter with something like... this. I mean, what other film in the year of our lord two thousand twenty two will you see former Germs guitarist (and touring guitar for Nirvana as my wife pointed out) Pat Smear screaming his head off as CGI demons try to rip his head off? This is maybe the most baffling comedy-horror film I've seen in a theater since Tusk - and that isn't a put down, persay, it's just... what is this?! And why is Pat Smear sometimes not good at all and other times is very funny?

Studio 666 is written like it was by 14 year olds who just discovered heavy metal and/or the Evil Dead from their older brother's cabinet, while still coming from seasoned veterans (the director of Hatchet III no less), and who cares if like 3/4ths of the Foo Fighters aren't from the Stella Adler school? It hasn't stopped rock stars from appearing in stuff and for material like a story where a band has to record an album in a house that is a portal to hell they can meet the bare minimum.

You know as soon as you see the trailer if you'll go see it, in a theater, as I did with Scream 5 and had no idea it was coming and once I saw it my thought was "HELLS YEAH... HUH... SURE! Wait is that Lionel Richie? Yes!" It's bloody, dorky, chunky, stupid, awkward, puzzling, as funny as it sometimes is pretty unfunny (some of the timing of the sorta jokes fall flat), and if I were stoned I might put a monument to it in its honor.

I gotta get an Oral History of how this came to be some day soon. Other highlights: Will Forte's wig, John Capenter (who scored the opening with his son) appearing for a cameo and probably being paid with the whiskey he drank on set, and how hard it goes in act three. I haven't listened to Foo Fighters regularly since before I had my undergrad degree, and it made me semi curious.... nah, this movie is enough. One real downside: it's a little too long.
30 out of 46 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Get your kicks at Studio 666.
Pjtaylor-96-13804426 March 2022
I found out this morning that Taylor Hawkins passed away yesterday, the same day that I watched this film, so I wanted to open this review with a quick "rest in peace". I'm not sure how to segue from that, so I suppose I'll just start a new paragraph.

The greatest strength of 'Studio 666 (2022)' is arguably also its greatest weakness: the Foo Fighters and their wonderfully wonky acting. If there's any joy to be found here, it's purely because of the focal band and how much fun each member seems to be having. In fact, their energy is actually rather infectious and it makes for a rather sweet retrospective experience. In the moment, though, the movie isn't anywhere near as fun as it ought to be. It's goofy, gory and suitably self-aware, but it's also tonally inconsistent and far too long (it has about three different endings and ultimately settles on what's easily the worst one). It isn't particularly funny and it isn't particularly scary, either. It's a bit of a slog, to be honest. Pat Smear's almost permanent grin sort of encapsulates the picture's primary problem: it's always just one small step away from feeling fully credible. Every time it almost convinces you that it's a 'real' movie and you start to feel yourself getting lost in its B-movie pastiche, an unintentionally hokey or otherwise uncanny element will rear its head and set things right back to square one. Despite all this, it's never offensively bad. It's actually oddly endearing, even though it's undeniably subpar. It's never boring and its practical effects are surprisingly excellent. It has a couple of enjoyable moments, too. It's good enough for what it is, but not much more. 5/10.
10 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Worth it just to see Kerry King play Dave Grohl's drum tech.
subxerogravity25 February 2022
I knew I would like this movie from the start. Dave Grohl is a magical Rock geek and this movie extends that. I'm a little surprise Dave Grohl can't act cause I seen him in other movies but I am not shocked that the rest of the Foo Fighters looked stiff on camera, but the thing about the movie is even if your love of the Foo Fighters is just in passing, you'll love this movie cause the Foo Fighters are in it.

I mean watching Pat Smear just recite lines was so entertaining. No one else could have pulled that off, no other band could have pulled off being such god awful actors in a two hour film and hold my interest, but they were able to do that, and all with only little pieces of a new incremental they played over and over again as part of the plot.

The idea apparently was something the Foo Fighters just thought would be cool for the longest time and decided just to do it. As themselves, the Foo Fighters set out to make their 10th album different by recording in a mansion that is haunted. I personally have herd the myths of rock bands recording albums in haunted houses. The Red Hot Chilli Peppers are on record stating they felt a ghostly presence in the house they recorded Blood Sugar Sex Magik in (Drummer Chad Smith even moved out because of it).

Typical of Dave Grohl, who seems to love Rock and Roll lore, decides to poke fun of the whole thing with his own horror parody.

It is a movie for all Rock fans and all Foo Fighter fans and well worth seeing.
36 out of 57 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
This was hilarious
rrobison-565-71160025 February 2022
You can tell the Foos love a good laugh. This wasn't so much a horror movie but instead was a series of inside jokes and double entendre. I found myself laughing at the jokes and then ultimately at the silliness. Thanks Dave and the rest of the guys!
30 out of 42 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Silly, gory fun for Foo Fighters fans, I'm in!
foxtografo16 March 2022
By watching the trailer you know what's on offer, so let's not get too serious about this.

It's clearly a fun time with the Foos, nothing else.

The directing and cinematography was mediocre at its best, but I didn't watch this (and enjoy it) because I wanted to watch a cinematic masterpiece, I wanted to watch Dave Grohl and the gang being silly, and damn right I've got a lot of that!

As a surprising plus, I was quite impressed by the super gory deaths, Tom Savini style, fans of his B-Class movies will love this, some Mortal Kombat fatality stuff here!

I thank for the show and the fun, Dave always delivers!

Now I've got to go watch interviews and anecdotes about the making of, which I'm sure will be fun too!
12 out of 19 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Its Just Meant To Be Fun People
damianphelps19 May 2022
The movie is:

FUN FUN FUN FUN FUN FUN FUN FUN FUN FUN FUN FUN FUN FUN FUN FUN FUN FUN FUN FUN FUN FUN FUN FUN FUN FUN FUN FUN FUN FUN FUN FUN FUN FUN FUN FUN FUN FUN FUN FUN FUN FUN FUN FUN FUN FUN FUN FUN FUN.
13 out of 24 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Great b movie!
aramina1825 February 2022
Some of these reviews are confusing. Did you think you were about to see an Oscar winning movie? This movie was a lot of fun and very entertaining. Was jump scary, which I wasn't expecting. Lots of fun and whole heartedly enjoyed it.
26 out of 37 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not My Cup
Tweetienator28 April 2022
I guess, watchable for the fan base of the Foo Fighters, but I watched better produced music videos by the same band. Without doubt, Grohl and his brothers got fun making this one, and I admit, I was mildly amused from time to time, but the movie did not hit the right buttons on my personal horror-o-meter. If you like the Foo Fighters a lot, you may try this one, but I think you've already put this one on your plate.
8 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Head Splittingly Funny!
Pairic2 March 2022
Studio 666: Comedy Horror where Foo Fighters send themselves up. Dave Grohl is the main protagonist as the group record their new album in the house haunted by the ghosts of a band massacred in 1993. Dave's songwriter's block spurs the narrative forward. There is a sharp edge to the horror though: in the 1993 opening sequence heads are beaten to a pulp with a hammer, later a musician is shoved head first into a barbecue grill, these disturbing scenes are unleavened with humour. Otherwise it's stoner fun as bit part players and stars alike are electrocuted, chainsawed and meet other gruesome ends provoking laughter from the audiences (at least when I saw it). Many standard horror film tropes and cliches are mercilessly parodied. John Carpenter supplies some of the music and has a cameo as a sound engineer. Good fun if a tad too long at 106 minutes. Directed by B. J. McDonnell from a screenplay by Jeff Buhler and Rebecca Hughes. 7/10.
11 out of 20 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
its the eternal...
ops-5253515 March 2022
Epic fight about copyrights, and all the darksides of the death metal rock music. A superfascinating horror-gore-slasher musical...yes its a musical...that made my jawbone click outta its hinges of macabreness, and goosebumps on a more or less hairless grumpy old mans body, senile alopecia.

Foo fighters is to me just a name, ive heard some through my son headset, and its hard, and i must say they sound better than they act, but as a b+ horrorslasher and compared with other horror flicks their acts are far above what i expected.so whaterev you might think...its turbotime...

loads of riff and raffs, the long track reminded me a bit about some of german experimentalismic rock band CAN, and their long tracks at the tago mago album.i love the drummers devine efforts.

It surtainly works as a gutterly crusted intestinal black horror comedy, even though the story and script are super generic, i believe that this will be a musical cult classic in the years to come. Ive seen better, but it took me my surprise, and shock and awe. So will i recommend, yes , if you have the nerve and a heart for bloody instrumental homicide.
10 out of 19 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
RIP Taylor.
TheOneThatYouWanted26 March 2022
I have to say, this film is worse than your average low budget deal because these guys are not actors. Dave seems to be the only person in the room making an effort. Sort of said seeing Taylor. If they knew what was going to happen to him they probably would not have released this. Notice how Taylor is the only person not to give a high-five, twice. I would not have noticed it or cared of I didn't know of his death. RIP Taylor, he is easily one of the top three drummers of all time.

Learn from Taylor and end your addiction today.
13 out of 25 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Foo Fighters on the big screen
colewaters25 February 2022
Studio 666 brought the Foo Fighters to the big screen in a comedy horror that was out of this world epic. I will definitely be watching this a second and third time. Best film of the year so far. Great job FF.
21 out of 45 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
It delivers on what it promised
robertdudley-2830823 March 2022
This movie was made as an homage to all of the "b" horror movies. It's supposed to be campy. Is it going to be everyone's flavor? Probably not, it's a campy cult movie. For a group of musicians, their acting was pretty good... kinda got a new found respect for Pat Smear.

If you're a horror fan, comedy fan, metal fan, or foo fighters fan- just watch it.

Expect a couple of references to horror movies - exorcist and the evil dead. And watch it a few times for the Easter eggs.
7 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Fun, funny, and very gory! Don't expect much more than that.
pedropittss11 April 2022
This film is as much a joke about the music world and the search for new albums, with the whole joke involving the "death of rock" and "rock is of the devil" being much more visible at the end. The piece is full of references to old horror movies, with clichés in every corner, but well executed, even Dave's possession is comparable to Jack Torrance's madness from The Shining (of course in totally different proportions). The violence is very explicit, which is totally normal in a horror and horror film. And the point that fails most in this film is the acting of the band members, but it is acceptable when you know that they are not actors, they are just musicians making a film that parodies reality. Each one gets a good amount of screen time, and the highlight is on Dave and him first discovering the secrets of the house and the Dream Widow band (created exclusively for the film).
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Don't take it seriously
heatherlaird-8291727 February 2022
I watched Studio 666 last night. It was a hoot. Dave Grohl camped up his own character brilliantly. All the Foo's played this film as it was intended. A laugh..!

I think if you take this film too seriously and give it a zero rating or anything below a 5 then you haven't got the joke.

It's daft, it takes the mickey out of itself and it is thoroughly enjoyable.
18 out of 29 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Would have benefitted from a tighter edit
roobens17 March 2022
Came into it expecting exactly what it was - a goofy B-movie with plenty of comical gore, horror tropes, and amusing jokes made at the expense of each band mate. I got all of these, however these moments were far too sporadically spaced throughout the movie, with idle chit-chatting that took the plot nowhere and scenes of the band rehearsing and chilling out, eating etc that were much too leisurely employed and dragged out for what felt like eternities at times.

It's a shame because there were enough quality moments in this to make it a great 70-80 minute movie, but space these out over the course of nearly 2 hours and it's a totally different prospect. The latter part of the film contained at least 3 places where the movie could have ended satisfactorily, only for another rather pointless event or 'twist' to take place to stretch it out another ten minutes.

Overall a slightly missed opportunity, as with tighter editing it could have been a cult classic.
8 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Gory, goofy, Grohl-y fun
reyanells25 February 2022
If you love B-movies, campy gore, and charmingly bad acting with corny jokes this movie is absolutely for you. It was honestly a really refreshing and fun movie.
25 out of 37 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
So bad it's good!
jmaheu-4940727 February 2022
If you're looking for a fun campy,horror movie with lots of gore and bad acting, then watch this movie! It was so silly,never took itself seriously and was the ONLY time Whitney Cummings was funny.
12 out of 20 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A Lot Of Fun
nitro721 March 2022
Doesn't take itself too seriously while still respecting its genres. The Foos seem to be having a lot of fun alongside the excessive blood & gore. Great theme song & music, as well as several cool cameos, homages, & Easter eggs. #nitrosMovieChallenge.
9 out of 17 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Schlocky fun
Psy-Ko20 March 2022
I'll start by saying I am not a Foo Fighters or Dave Grohl fan, they're ok but not favorites of mine. However after seeing the trailer I was looking forward to seeing this. I grew up in the 80s and love that blend of rock & horror, also love schlock and low budget special effects. This movie is all that.

It's like Monster Dog & Black Roses had a baby! Rock band, satanic song, demonic possession and lots of bright red blood. What more could one want? It was a bit slow in the beginning but overall I enjoyed it.
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Silly, gory, dumb rock'n'roll
gavinp928 February 2022
'Studio 666' is a Foo Fighters pet project, poking fun at themselves, rockstar excess and horror all in a fun film. The plot is simple - Dave (singer/songwriter), Nate (bass), Chris (guitar), Pat (guitar), Taylor (drums) & Rami (keyboards) are wanting to do something different for their 10th album, so end up recording in a haunted house. The rest is mostly an 'Evil Dead' rip-off!

Most of the fun comes from watching the band, who are clearly not actors, have fun with the absurdness/silliness. There are some good cameos from actual actors - Samantha (Cummings) the neighbour, Jeremy (Garlin) the manager and Darren (Forte) the delivery guy. And while it's semi-funny, it's definitely very gory and I think the death-count got to 9. Jut not sure it needed to be 1 hour 45min - might've ben a good 30min TV episode.

If you're a Foo fan and appreciate the humour in their video clips, you should enjoy this. Lots of little inside jokes and they play against their nice-guy personas on purpose. Still, they're definitely not actors! Only one actual Foo Fighters song from 'Medicine At Midnight' is used, during the credits - the song they play during the film is actually pretty good, even though it's in "L" key.
10 out of 20 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I really liked it!
matthewtweed228 February 2022
I'm a massive FF fan and I expected this to be a funny B movie with cheap gore, cheap laughs and great music. And that's exactly what it was! Don't expect anything more.
10 out of 18 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.