Battle of the Year (2013) Poster

Terrible
I_love_planes_126 September 2013
OK Benson so being a former b-boy myself and a lover of film I decided to check out your movie. I was a big fan of your documentary Planet B- boy and I watched it in theaters and bought it on DVD. I showed it to all my friends to introduce them to b-boying and I went into this movie with high hopes. Sadly Benson you let me down. This movie fails not because of the story, which is crap but its typical dance movie fare so I do not blame you for that. No one goes to see kung fu movies for the story they are there for the fighting and the same can be said for dance movies. Sure there were a few things in the script that where a bit insulting, you made all the b-boys act like children fighting over girls and oohing and awing over a women choreographer. If these guys were teenagers it would make sense, but they are grown men and I would hope they wouldn't act like that in real life. However the real failings lye with the dance scenes. I don't know what you did Benson but I was in Montipellier for Battle of the year back in 2011 when you guys filmed this movie and what I saw live was 50 times better than what you put on screen. You needed to hire a new editor first of all. Whenever you had dancing on screen you seemed more focused on showing the crowd, the reactions of the b-boys and the other main characters than on the dancing itself. It was so choppy and jumpy that by the time it went back the dancing I got so disoriented I could not tell what was going on (It amounted to dance shaky cam and as a movie fan you know the world wide audience has lost interest in that even in action movies). If you have been reading b-boy message boards you ought to know that for years we have been complaining about live b- boy feeds of events because they do the exact same thing as your movie does, not focus on the dance. You did the same thing in planet b-boy but I simply saw that as you having to cram in 5, 6 min performances and 2, 20 min battles into an hour and half documentary. It seemed you were trying to use the editing to move the audience instead of letting the dance do it on its own. Also I did not understand why you felt it necessary to have two hosts commentating over the last battles and basically telling us "hey this is cool", did you feel the audience wouldn't understand that an air flair looked cool? I know you probably needed to get a lot of difference sponsors to get this movie made so I will not call you out on the product placement because I understand. But having someone from MTV tell the audience how they should be reacting is just plain dumb, I didn't see any commentators in You Got Served, they just showed the final dance. Speaking of the final dance that's where I gave up completely on your movie. The battle I saw in France was amazing, it was the first time I had seen a mock movie battle that felt like a real battle. You also did the battle to Big Daddy Kane's – Wrath of Kane which wasn't in the movie! If you couldn't get the rights to the song fine, they why not get another song, heck you used The Roots – Boom in one of the scenes why not save that for the final battle. Instead what we got was some generic orchestral score and so you could not see the b-boys actually dancing to song or hitting beats. We just got a generic who can do the cooler moves which ended in a flipping battle?.................Lame, for all the talk in the movie that this is an art form and a dance the general audience comes out of the movie going "I like the part when they did those back flips and when that Korean guy put his leg behind his head" instead of saying "wow I really liked it when rebel (casper) hit those beats" WHICH HE DID IN THE REAL BATTLE. Maybe you do love b-boying Benson but your movie does not show that. It shows a disinterred direction more focused telling the audience that they should find this cool rather than just showing the dance as is and having them either accepting it or not. I look forward to your next movie, a time period highschool drama in Korea about kids in the 80's might be more what you're suited for. I know I won't get your frenetic editing for one thing at least. You have my money for your next movie and you are a much more successful person than I will ever be, but I simply could not sit here and not say anything about your movie. Nothing but the best for your future, Luka (B-Boy Architect)
22 out of 28 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Horrible :-)
Plutos_Charm4 October 2013
I have never been happy to see a movie flop than I am at this one. This movie is the hugest pile of garbage I ever witnessed -- and I sat through Chernobyl Diaries. Don't waste your time watching this crap, let alone your money.

I watched some of it online for the dancing but even that was trash. The acting is poor. Chris Brown and everyone else try so hard to be the "cool guy" or "sensitive jock" archetype, but, instead they look like a bunch of amateurs that turned an already bad script into just another teen drama bullshit story with 90s music, shaky cameras, and scenes that have no substance but push the plot forward. Not to mention the fact that dance movies weren't really ever good, but have been increasingly bad starting from You Got Served. Don't bother with this (not like I expect anyone to, anyway). Hopefully Chris brown will learn from this and stick to was he's known for; making music and beating women...better yet, hopefully he'll decide to leave fame all together. 1/10
71 out of 111 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Such a Disappointment
Ahsenb9 November 2013
This is my first review to IMDb, all the time I had thought that my first one would be about whether an amazing movie or the worst. And beyond any doubt, this is one of the worsts I've ever watched. I've been waiting for a long time to watch this movie and still can't believe it was such a terrible movie. I am as sick as a parrot. It was waste of time, literally it was. I wanted to watch this movie especially for Josh Holloway but even he has no special acting. There is nothing special about this movie at all, may be except the results of the competition but it was not enough. Acting was not good, dancing was bad and the music was not good too.

It was completely a disappointment for me. I gave 3 points, just because I thought that at least I watched it from the beginning to the end. I try not to see the glass as half empty.

To sum up, if you really don't want to waste your time, don't watch this movie guys.
26 out of 39 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
excellent break dancing movie
cyn mona17 May 2014
If you like dance movies, especially break dancing, you will love this movie.

I know the critics gave it bad reviews, but it's still a lot of fun and very entertaining (and inspiring if you are a dancer).

I thought the acting was pretty good overall, especially the coach and assistant coach.

The dancers/actors did a phenomenal job and all the dance scenes were incredible.

The last scenes during the BATTLE were fantastic. I really enjoyed watching the U.S. battle South Korea. Excellent!
8 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A B-Boy Classic
Gary Burn13 December 2013
I honestly don't understand all what movie people were watching that gave this such low reviews. I saw the previews and said I wasn't even going to bother watching. My daughter (9) however is really into dancing and for movie night I picked this. The movie stars off poorly with music that doesn't really fit, but about 25mins in I started to enjoy it. Now that sounds worst than it really is because it's not that nothing is happening for 25mins, but I just expected more battle scenes in the beginning. Anyhow I don't want to spoil the movie. If you are a fan of breaking in anyway you WILL enjoy this movie. If you're looking for a cinematic experience well please go watch something that aims to captivate you with the filming process. This is a B-Boy movie and delivers moves that many people have never seen, and for that it at least deserves credit for bringing something new to the dance movie genre.
14 out of 21 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Create your own opinion
mmbrown44810 January 2014
I have a belief that every movie should be watched at least once. After seeing some reviews throughout multiple sites that this movie was not that great, and just gave terrible reviews I went out and rented from Redbox to see. I was at the edge of my seat, waiting to see what happen next. Enjoyed the story, enjoyed the cast. It wasn't your typical dance movie, "You got serve" or "Step up" it took what was there and expanded with an additional idea, let's make a new Dream Crew with the best of the best. This movie deserves to be watched and given the chance.

On a side not, some reviews complained about Chris Brown and his acting in this movie, well he did that in this movie by acting. If his personal character is to be attack, I believe that that is a different review, the overall moral of a lot of people that get TV time should be in check. I don't know Chris Brown personally but he is a persona, a entertainer and everything that he is paid to do is that.

Just give it a chance and make your own opinion

Thanks
10 out of 15 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Disappointing and Predictable Collection of Clichés
Claudio Carvalho23 January 2014
The producer Dante Graham (Laz Alonso) promotes a group of b-boys expecting to bring the Battle of the Year Trophy back to the USA that have not won it in fifteen years. He hires his friend and former basketball couch Jason Blake (Josh Holloway) that grieves the loss of his wife and son to prepare his team. Blake fires the whole team since they do not have motivation and decides to select a new group of dancers under the nickname of Dream Team. He also hires the youngster Franklyn (Josh Peck) and the choreographer of break-dance Stacy (Lotz Caity) to help him. Along the months, Blake tries to implement teamwork and works hard with the group. In the competition in France, he has a great surprise.

"Battle of the Year" is a disappointing and predictable collection of clichés. It is amazing how many times this storyline has been used in different environments and sports ("decadent couch hires a team of losers that in the end surprises in a competition") with a corny message in the end. Fans of break-dance and hip-hop may enjoy a little more but this movie is terrible. My vote is three.

Title (Brazil): "A Batalha do Ano" ("Battle of the Year")
7 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
"Change how you think, change your life"
eatakmakova1 January 2014
Here we have another dance movie. At first, it seems movies of such genre have exhausted and that there is nothing else to tell about. You expect the story will repeat: there is a huge and important dance event with a fabulous sum of money as a main prize and that can change dancers' life for ever, on the one hand, and there is a dance crew desiring to win this event, on the other hand. Yes, the story is like this, but this time the director have added some moral notions that made this movie acquire some deeper sense and look more interesting and intriguing. Battle of the year is an international b-boying competition where dance crews from all over the world try to get to and get the first place. The point is that for the last 15 years America, homeland of break dance, has not taken any first place. One of the former b-boy dancers (Dante Graham played by Laz Alonso) decides to change this situation. He finds a couch (Couch Blake performed by Josh Holloway) and together they create Dream Team. Couch's main goal is not only to train the guys to win the competition, but his first and principal idea is to make them a team, some kind of dance family where everybody supports each other and ready stand for everyone who is in this crew. Another subtext of this film is "change how you think, change your life". The read line of Battle of the year is that your reality is in your head: you get everything you think about. And the same is about success. If you think about it and act like a successful person, you definitely will get this. And you decide what you put into your head. The movie shows us how their couch tries to change not only his reality, but the guys' one too and how he changes their idea about friendship and other values. At the same time, Blake trains them to be excellent dancers, he doesn't forget about the main purpose why he was hired to train this team. Of course, there are great dance moments, the competition itself is just insane. And it is interesting to see the scale of similar events and different dance techniques. So, if you are a big fan of dancing or dance movies or if you just want to see Chris Brown, his acting, go and watch this movie. By the way, the end is pretty unexpected. I guess very soon we will see the second part of this film.
5 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Really Disappointing
kao9232022 November 2013
There are three key factors to every dance movie: the dancers, the choreography, and the music. They don't all have to be fantastic to make a great movie. If two of them are exception the third isn't as important. In this movie the dancers seemed like they had potential, but didn't show any results. The choreography seemed good at first, but ended up being more of a flop. So, the last hope was the music. Yeah, it failed. Overall this movie had great potential to be great, but it was SO focused on the STORY and NOT the DANCING that it basically ruined the whole experience.

I have some suggestions for the future. DON'T throw out your ace without a really good follow up. Not only did you lose your ace, but you lost the game. Seriously? Did you think that would excite people? It was like watching failure over and over again. Its simple people enjoy hope. You just crushed it like in so many ways in this film I lost count and didn't even give a glimmer of it till like the very end and by then it was so dead there was no resurrecting it. Don't focus on the story. This is a DANCE movie. Put in some really nice dance scenes. Not just these super-fast back and forth snippets of WHAT? Also, the music. It's supposed to drive the scene. Not be background noise. DRIVE a scene. Music has the power to move people's hearts. Use it to your advantage. Especially in all out dance scenes. You waiting WAY too long to switch songs and mix it up. The worst I have to say was that orchestrated song. Not because of the genre, but because you didn't fully put it to use. You really didn't draw it out then rev it up like BAM in your face. It was more like oh, elevator music. Oh the elevator music got a little louder how nice. I hope if you do work on another dance movie it'll go a little more smoothly than this one. Good luck.
6 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Don't waste your time on this one!
Piyush Mathur22 November 2013
Well, what can I say, you reading this review will be a better usage of time than watching this disaster. A film which adds no value to your motivation factor, it didn't even motivated me to pump a muscle. The choreography was good but the cinematography took the fun away from it. The dialogs were unsynchronized and looked forceful as if the actors lost interest in the middle. Abrupt ending with stupid scenes which have no connection with the movie, throwing love and family angles just to touch every heart(FAIL!), quickly ending the BATTLE which was deemed to be the most important and much awaited part of the movie and below par acting of almost all the actors, makes BATTLE OF THE YEAR *THE WORST MOVIE OF 2013* I watched so far. A complete PONZI scheme. Save your time, money and effort. Stay away from this one. (Yes, Its nothing like STEP UP)
9 out of 19 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Stop hiring Chris Brown!
hthbrr223 November 2013
SPOILERS!

To be honest the only reason I watched this movie was for the delightful Josh Peck. He is such a great actor. Great comedic timing but he can also do drama as shown in "The Wackness". But I was VERY disappointed when I saw that abusive Chris Brown pop up!

Wow I could feel the fear in the female actress that was hired to work with these guys. Chris Brown's character kept making advances and so on. Disgusting. Stop rewarding his bad behaviour! He raised his hand to a woman! He violated all kinds of laws and is probably in jail/rehab/picking up trash/committing more crimes right now.

Not only did he ruin the movie, and any good morals this society has left in it, but he took ANY suspense out of the movie all while overacting. When they were picking the members of the final 'crew' he was worried he was not going to get picked. WHAT!? He is a famous (sadly) person, why would they only have him in a couple scenes. OF COURSE they are going to pick him. Therefore having him get picked last to build 'suspense' made no sense. As per his unfortunate fame we already knew he would get picked.

Also horrible racial stereotypes abound in this movie. As if ppl are defined by their race! Very backwards thinking. Your race does not define you, your ACTIONS do. So sick of this racist crap.

The movie basically turns out exactly the way you assume it will. Very boring. Worst of all the dancing was crap. Most of the moves are unoriginal and did not deserve the uproarious applause they got. And there is a conflict in the movie that makes no sense other than to further the plot.

Avoid this movie and don't support Chris Brown and/or any project he works on. To do so would be to condone his abusive behaviours.
5 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Battle Of The Year
massielzuniga0524 November 2013
In my opinion this movie was completely awesome! From the dancing to the acting to the music! it was great! From the reviews I've read most people are hating on it which is stupid!! All the roles were great and the choreography's were awesome. I don't understand what was so bad about this movie, sure, it wasn't like Step Up but that doesn't make it a horrible movie. Chris Brown wasn't horrible either. STOP HATING ON EVERY LITTLE THING because it wasn't a "disappointment" like some of you guys are saying. (maybe someone else is a "disappointment") IT WASN'T A WASTE OF MY TIME neither was it of my money. So guys watch the movie for yourself and don't go by what other people think because it's not true! GREAT MOVIE B- Boying all the way!
15 out of 41 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A lot of of fun
DaRealNinoBrown12 November 2013
Saw this at advance screening back in July and was I very surprised at how good it was. I didn't expect anything other than some amazing chirography but at its heart the film is a classic underdog story. Josh Holloway really impressed me in the lead role as the coach and I hope he gets more work soon. The trailer doesn't really do the film justice and the 3D wasn't needed but all in all this is classic crowd pleasing entertainment. Chris Brown, Laz Alonso and the rest of the cast really shine in their roles. If there's one issue I had with the film it was the 3D. Even Ray Charles could see this movie didn't need to be 3D. All in all a good film that shouldn't have flopped.
18 out of 58 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
excellence movie and beautiful
dianeaquino2127 November 2013
excellence movie i like every one in that movie I liked all the performances and the plot also they have a nice story and a beautiful teaching, that sometimes there are people who use their judgment as personal not look really what the film and its contents, danced spectacular all I liked much.I'be never seen me act Chris brown seemed good but nothing great Starring did well,was exciting and maybe people did not like because the end is different than other movies which I also like because it was something different but managed all purposes as others who wanted to achieve unity between them,safest thing is that you will have a second part I would love
8 out of 22 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Just terrible
pexb_h_m13 December 2017
Just watch on TV. This is horrible. Bad acting, clichés storyline. All of the character was too annoying, especially Mr.brown, he is the worst actor that I've seen in my life. Whenever he showed up I just laugh at him, I'm like what is he doing? And I also hate everyone in this movie, they are too overacting. So don't wasted your time. Trust me
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Unexpectedly good for a dance movie
paulinaperezmejias9 August 2017
I love dance movies because I like watching the choreography and talented dancers, but I never expect good acting or a well crafted storyline. But this movie is one of the few within the genre that gives you those as well: not only it showcases incredible dancers, amazing choreography, but it is also a good story about hard work, discipline, friendship, and team work. The acting is surprisingly good for this kind of movies and the story is entertaining and has an unexpected end. Although the screenplay follows a bit of the formula you would expect for a dance competition movie, it doesn't fall into every single expected cliché. For instance, there is no cheesy love story among dancers! If you like the genre, this movie is a must.
A controversy
Reyna_304 July 2014
The trailer seemed to be filled with action, fun and well, a winding journey to victory! However, the film was a disappointed in some aspects and not in others. The plot itself was solid and quite interesting yet predictable and boring at the same time. The dance movie was a great disappointment compared to the legendary Street Dance and Step up films. With Chris brown playing the role of 'Rooster', it was obvious something bad was going to happen (like an injury) and was quite boring, to be honest. On the other hand though, I think 'Coach' and Josh Peck, who played "Franklyn with a 'y'' did a cracking job in this film! The dancers were alright but Step up will always be 10x better. Furthermore, there was way too much dancing which I personally would describe as just moving around the place with a few moon walking skills. I'm not sure if this film went down well with others, but I think that it dragged on forever! Over 168 minutes… really? My concentration span doesn't even last for two minutes, let alone over 2 and a half hours of pure boredom and the monotonous drone of sulking b-boys! I guess the views on this film is controversial depending on your taste in films. Overall, it was okay! That's all! Watch the film and make up your own mind!
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
It was aiight, it's watchable
KineticSeoul16 September 2014
I thought this movie was aiight, wasn't one of the top dance movies I seen, but it was entertaining to a degree. The plot is about a group of B-boy dancers that is striving for the opportunity to leave a mark by entering a world wide B-boy competition. I though it was cool to see a rebellious and dysfunctional group of people become a team. However the development wasn't all that great and the acting just wasn't up there. The most disappointing part of this movie is the final battle dance off, which I thought was lacking. It was more entertaining to watch the team battle among each other than actually become a team and battle their opponents. I personally think this was a missed opportunity that could have been more. Plus everything is just super predictable and nothing really made me go *wow* or anything like that. And it's not because it plays on that bringing up of a dysfunctional team once again, except in B-boy form.

Lost but found again
kosmasp2 August 2014
If you lose your passion for something, you might feel lost. So does our main actor here (you may know him from a TV show called Lost), who has to train a few kids to do something that seems unachievable. Mainly because some of his pupils didn't lose their focus, they didn't have it to begin with.

But the movie does have a story, even though we have a lot of characters that have to fit into the story, you do get a bit of their background and the movie does make sense. The dancing is OK, with some wicked things/stunts being performed. The story is more than decent and is fun to watch. Overall something people who like "battle" movies might very well enjoy
2013 - Updated Version of Breakin, Beat Street & Krush Groove
brownscorpio20032 March 2014
When you consider where movies take you lately: slavery is popular again, outer space, money hungry plots, or melodramatic rewinds...its good to see a basic movie go back and discuss a dying US art form and that is break dancing and b-boy dancing. I truly think that underrepresented actors such as Chris Brown and Ivan Flipz Velez did not get their props with the critics and audience members who were not fans.

Chris Brown really outdid himself with some of the dance moves and acting scenes that he displayed in the movie. However, his counterpart Ivan Flipz was a force to be reckoned with when it came to flipping. These young men made this movie something worth showing kids who have never really have seen break dancing being done right. I commend Laz Alonzo for his direction, but there were moments that he could have elaborated on some of the plot topics. For that minor reason, I give the movie a 9/10. Although it was not perfect it was a movie that I would not be fearful to recommend for 12 years and older for sure. The message is quite positive.
1 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Cheesy, Bad acting, teenie bopper garbage
xryanrx28 May 2016
I just watched this movie on TV....wow, was it terrible. With the recent popularity of shows like ABDC and break out star groups like the Jabawakeez you would think the people that made this film could produce something decent to good. This film is chalk full of absolutely terrible acting, extremely bad music and bad dance scenes. They use the same scene over and over in the dance sequences which makes the movie look very cheap. It's extremely cheesy, and obviously caters to young teenagerS which is lame. What's up with the guys pointing over and over in the final dance scene? What are they pointing at?? Extremely annoying and very cheesy. This is by far one of the worst movies I've ever seen. Absolute garbage. Stay away from this one.
0 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Painful
chubbydave31 August 2014
Like a lot of people, I went to see this because of Josh Holloway.

Basically it's about a group of American tough guys all wanting to be the alpha male. There is so much machismo in this. It's so painful to watch. And the ending is so predictable. You guessed it. The American tough guy alpha males who at the beginning were all independent cowboy types all through the guidance of their coach (Holloway) came together as a team and learned to appreciate teamwork and true friendship.

Josh Holloway isn't even very good. He plays a drunk has-been who nobody thinks is any good, but when confronted with the challenge he gives up then he fails then he lifts himself up and makes a gallant effort. There are so many clichés in this movie that a MacBook air doesn't have the computing power to count them all.

Whatever you do, don't waste your time.
0 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Finally a BBoy Movie!!!
dance mania15 April 2014
I have waited my whole life for a bboy movie.....and now I wish I hadn't..... Bad acting. Bad script. Bad Directing- OK so that's to be expected - this is nt scoresece and Dicaprio here- but what you watch a film like this is for the dancing, the bboying. To the Directors credit- he has assembled some of the finest bboys in the world, such as Kid David, Do Knock, etc- and Chris Brown isn't much of a bboy but his flips and dancing give him some credibility- and the show some star power. And the bboyin? it is good- lets give it that-

but everything else about this film is sooooo clumsy and bad- that it undermines even the finest flares. First we have the alcoholic coach cliché. Then we have the film referencing a bboy documentary- that the director himself made- two characters literally flip the DVD in - and say "you haven't seen this?? its like the best DVD on bboying there is!!" ...no shame. its that kind of film. I pray to the gods of windmills and six step that benson lee is never given another opportunity to work with a camera and actors again. documentary is fine, dance video - again fine, but the art of film is clearly lost on this guy. please do not watch it. it hurts.
0 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Stumped
ruby 38620 February 2014
Battle of the Year... somehow didn't have the soul of Stomp the Yard... should've killed Breezy off in the very beginning... that would have fixed it... But seriously... so disappointing... I don't know what went wrong... I was watching and hoping something would happen... and "second sucks" ??? Maybe the music is to blame... Maybe the whole concept of America representing all other countries was more of the focus... Maybe having the "Bring it on" star as the on-screen choreographer... Maybe the "You think you can dance" approach for the Dream Team... Is it a movie about team work?? I'm so confused... I think the major setback was in the end we don't know what's the movie about... Josh Holloway saved the movie, without whom the movie would have been unwatchable.
0 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this