One Summer (TV Movie 2021) Poster

(2021 TV Movie)

Not your usual Hallmark
Jackbv1235 October 2021
This appeared on Hallmark Movies and Mysteries which when not doing mysteries shows movies with a different flavor than the Hallmark Channel. This movie fits that mold. It is actually quite different than most of the rom/coms we're used to because the romance is secondary to the rest of the story.

This movie is about grief, and family, and starting over. As Amanda Schull points out in an interview, this movie focuses on the man rather than the woman. His backstory is a bit unusual and possibly even a bit strange. Sam Page is excellent in that role.

Sarah Drew is also good, but I would have liked to have seen more of her.

The climax simultaneously goes off the scale with sappy and with stupid (in the sense of unrealistic). Yes I know, and I've even said, that Hallmark and realistic don't always go well together, but this movie takes the cake. But I love sappy, so I was willing to forgive for the extreme poetic license.

I know Madeline Grace Popovich can sing. She was second best in The Christmas High Note, but still pretty good. When she does her feature performance in this movie, it sounds like they switched to a voice over, but I'm assuming it was her and not someone else. The song is quite good.
11 out of 15 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Hallmark Blues
rebekahrox8 October 2021
This one is a throwback to those old time very earnest Hallmark Hall of Fame type productions that play sometimes on Hallmark Drama. Thus it makes sense that they showed it on Hallmark Movies and Mysteries rather than the main Hallmark Channel. Because Hallmark Drama just shows reruns and this one doesn't fit with regular Hallmark's mission statement. Apparently.

It is about a man who lost his wife while he himself was dying from a mysterious disease he got while deployed in Afghanistan. When his wife was getting him medicine she dies in a car crash, leaving him, his 15-year-old daughter, and younger son bereft. He "wills" himself well from this unknown but fatal disease. It's a miracle.

He takes his kids to the little (North?) Carolina Island where his wife grew up so they can heal from all of this sad trauma. He becomes friendly with a nice café owner and his daughter becomes infatuated with her son. The dead wife starts to appear to Sam Page, the Dad, to guide him through his grief.

This is not a real light hearted cheerful movie. The actors do a fine job. Sam Page, who usually plays such conservative buttoned up looking characters with the straightest hair part in Hallmark-land, really lets his freak flag fly with longish tousled hair and a scruffy beard. I liked it. Amanda Shull as the ghostly wife and Sarah Drew as the alive love interest do a fine job as usual. Madeline Grace Popovich who plays the typical teen age girl, that is, unreasonable, obnoxious, and whiny, makes you really dislike her. Almost as much as you dislike the controlling mother of the dead wife. But the young actor who plays the sad anxious little son is fantastic, and really tugs at your heart.

This drama is not about romance. What there is between the parents and their teens is only to cast a hopeful rosy glow on the final scene of the movie. Do not question or think it through. Things cannot proceed with the two single parents until the kids are out of the house because that would be more than just awkward. Enough said.

I like the direction that Hallmark seems to be going with some of their features. Whether they can keep it up throughout the upcoming rampage of Christmas Movies remains to be seen.
2 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Loved this movie ...
toncincin5 October 2021
Hallmark hit it out of the ballpark! A beautiful story of love and loss. Sam Page was amazing in the role of the widower dealing with the loss of his wife - and dealing with his kids who are also grieving. Amanda Schull portrays his dead wife (a ghost that only he sees) with great depth. Sarah Drew - as always - is great - playing the positive, wise friend. Loved the teenage angst of the daughter (NAILED IT) and the innocence of the young son. Acceptance without giving up love ... is healthy grief. This movie portrays it all beautifully - and without using the usual Hallmark formula. Grief and love take time...
10 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Tear Jerker
ocean_breeze1ca10 October 2021
I enjoy this movie and cast, and I thought well done. Lots of varied emotions.
2 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Might be best hallmark mov
hypzrkunt6 October 2021
The actors including the kids were great. Sam page did a reall6 good job. The storyline played out bu left us with he slight possibility of more. I enjoyed it a lot and wasnt typical boy dated girl and they get back together after 15 years. The daughter was really good.

Hallmark more like this. Stop the extended drama you are working mystery 101. It's okay in your mysteries if they are ok.
3 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The film tells the story of families who, even by losing one of them, try to preserve the family in any way.
hasanimasoud20 November 2021
The film has a family love story that gradually moves from its sad part to its happy and lovable one. By creating an atmosphere full of intimacy, the film is able to convey a good romantic part to the viewer. In addition, the good music and beautiful songs that it has inside fill the romantic atmosphere of the film. In general, the film has both good drama and love romance, which with its good process, was able to make the viewer feel good at the end of the film and gives the viewer the ultimate pleasure.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Different but not good
burnsannona5 October 2021
Not a typical Hallmark or a feel good movie. The characters are sad and grieving. The story is basic. I love Sam Page and Sarah Drew but this one is rather a dud. This movie looked like it couldn't decide if it was a drama or a love story. It really kinda failed at both. Too many holes and unbelievable things happen.

For instance, where sre hos parents? Liam should know better than to be sailing at dusk. Check the weather??

It was a ruse to use the Lighthouse.

Maybe the plan is a Sequel?

But that would be super awkward because the teens are falling for each other and they could potentially be step-siblings down the road if the parents are getting together.
2 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Melodramatic nonsense
iaindormer17 October 2021
Sorry to be the party pooper, but seriously this has to be one of the worst movies ever. So blatantly manipulative, full of every movie cliché possible, and with a last ten minutes that are so bad they are laughable.

Clearly some people like this sort of nonsense, but really it says a lot about our culture of wallowing in maudlin self-pity and overblown schmaltz that this should be the case.

Please feel free to disagree, but at least have the honesty to think critically about what you're watching cos it ain't pretty.
2 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Real Substance!
wbroses-352424 October 2021
So nice to see real substance in a Hallmark movie. Sam Page does an outstanding job as the father trying to cope with being an only parent, looking to move on, care for his children but yet honor his late wife. Everyone in this is very good though the daughter can be a bit much at times, not the fault of the actress, rather the scrip. Thought it was appropriate that they only hinted at a future romance, it would have cheapen the movie(and been highly unrealistic given their ages) if that had happened in this movie. I realize the lighthouse was symbolic but it was a little much that it shown upon the daughter drowning to save her. Besides, that lighthouse looked like it needed a years worth of repairs! These are very minor niggles in a movie that otherwise was very well done. Kudos to all involved, especially the actors and actresses.
5 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
This movie feels real
jjhousehold29 October 2021
I've always got a kick out of hallmark love stories; falling in love in less than a week. This story was refreshing. It has real love, loss, grief, healing and romance on a realistic timeline. This is definitely one of my hallmark favorites now.
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Beautiful Story
summergirl-512686 October 2021
I absolutely loved this movie. It is so different than most Hallmark movies. This was so true to real life. I felt this movie wasn't rushed leaving it open to a sequel. I will definitely watch this movie over and over. Sooo good!
7 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Beautiful film!
lifewith5 October 2021
What a beautiful story of a family grieving over loss. The cast was stellar and perfect in their roles. Loved it!!!
4 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Loved this story
lourencoezzie15 October 2021
I was very impressed and pleasantly surprised as this is not your typical Hallmark. Beautiful story and pulls at then heart strings a few times. All actors were wonderful!
2 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Southport Strong!
jeremyseed4 October 2021
Beautiful story of a family healing and growing while dealing with the tragic loss of a loved one. This film boasts incredibly gorgeous on location shots throughout!
5 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Beautiful
hhutton-25800-977244 October 2021
Perfectly cast! Sam Page, Amanda Schull and Sarah Drew were spectacular! Very emotional for anyone who has lost someone dear to them. Amanda and Sarah has never disappointed. Sam was great as always!
4 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Great Baldacci story
bcnova7 October 2021
I read the book a few years ago and hoped this.movie would be made. It came true, only a character or two went missing from the book but great version in compromise.
5 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.