The Walking Dead (TV Series 2010–2022) Poster

(2010–2022)

1,753 Reviews
Utterly surprised
Sleepin_Dragon12 April 2011
I have to be honest i was stunned at just how much i enjoyed this, been a while since i can say i'm impatient for part 2 of anything, the first episode was captivating. i have only seen episode 1 but after that alone i feel this is worthy of a 10/10, it has an originality which in a TV series is quite a nice change. Big big fan of Andrew Lincoln, quite a surprise to hear him with an American accent but i think he pulls it off well enough. True enough there were a few leaky points, like why was he left untouched in an unlocked hospital room but who cares. The scene when he walks out of the hospital past all the dead bodies and empty streets, wow, what a piece of brilliance. The effects were great, wouldn't recommend anyone having a kebab while watching it though :-)

Update, 2019, I'm not surprised it's still going, and I'm looking forward to the introduction of Samantha Morton. It has varied in quality since the first series, but it's still a great watch.
74 out of 85 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Very much alive for Seasons 1-5, Season 7 dead
TheLittleSongbird11 November 2017
Had heard nothing but great things about 'The Walking Dead' from friends and IMDb reviewers. It took a while to get round to walking, both from being busy and also not being sure whether it would be my cup of tea.

Finally getting round to it a few years ago and slowly working my way through it, 'The Walking Dead' turned out to be very much my cup of tea and as good as the hype made it out to be. Seasons 1-5 of 'The Walking Dead' to me were absolutely brilliant, and it still shocks me at how an intelligent, well-made (so much so that it is easy to mistake it for a film) show about zombies could be made when so many films have tried and failed abysmally to do so. My only complaint about the early seasons actually is the slightly slow start to Season 2.

'The Walking Dead' is incredibly well made in the production values, with gritty and audacious production design, photography of almost cinematic quality, effects that look good, have soul and are not overused or abused and pretty frightening make-up which helps make the already freaky zombies even freakier. The music is haunting and affecting, having presence but never being too intrusive.

For five seasons, the writing was intelligent and thought-provoking, with lots of tension and emotional resonance and improving every time a story and character were expanded and given more complexity. Loved that the stories had multiple layers and felt satisfactorily resolved, while the action is both thrilling and terrifying, the blood-spattering gore uncompromising.

Seasons 3 and 4 are especially good in this regard, and it is the latter where the complexities and nuance of the storytelling and characterisation particularly shine. The pace was a little slow to begin with in Season 2 but thrilling elsewhere while not rushing through important pieces of information. Direction is smart and atmospheric while the show throughout has been strongly acted especially from the two leads playing particularly well-crafted characters.

Which is why it is so sad that Season 7 has been a dead mess on the whole, apart from the production values, some effective world-building and the actors did their best with what they had (an achievement somewhat, admiration is to be had for anybody able to do anything with such poor material). Season 6 did have some slow and pointless moments and the finale was a disappointment but had good things. Can say very little good about Season 7 though.

A season where once interesting, complex characters are no more. Negan was a fascinating villain, now a cartoonish caricature that one wants done away with, don't blame Jeffrey Dean Morgan here, he's great in the role, it's the writing. Pacing has been all over the map, often brutally slow. The season has had too many characters and subplots that are mostly under-explored or completely superfluous. There was heavy reliance on over-convenience, lots of melodrama, very talky sections that add little and feel like padding, little character growth, frustratingly illogical decision making and some convolution. And there were very few thrills or scares thanks to lack of suspense and a sense that everything feels toned down.

Overall, brilliant for about just over two-thirds but Season 7 was a serious disappointment and has left me dubious as to whether to stick with the show for the eighth season. With such a decline lately, there is a sense that a once addictive personal favourite show has run its course. 7.5/10 Bethany Cox
103 out of 123 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Going to miss it but it's prob time for it to go!
Supermanfan-135 March 2021
Everyone know that The Walking Dead isn't as good as it used to be, those early seasons were groundbreaking in so many ways and because of them this show still gets a high rating from me! Those earlier seasons make this show one of the best shows of all-time! Like most long running shows, it's had its ups and downs but even at its worst it was still the #1 show on cable, in fact it has been #1 every season it's been on the air. The last few seasons without Andrew Lincoln (Rick Grimes) haven't been as good but it's at least starting to get back to being a pretty good show this season. Norman Reedus (Daryl) and Jeffery Dean Morgan (Negan) have continued to carry the show after Andrew Lincoln's departure and I think we can actually look forward to it again!
125 out of 153 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Amazing if you binge-watch.
balder77713 June 2021
This is a very long running TV-show (10+ years) with many seasons. One common view is that the first seasons are great, then it becomes garbage. I decided to binge-watch in 2021 to make an opinion for myself.

What I will say is that season 1 is definitely the fastest paced season, reminiscent of typical Zombie films such as Dawn of the Dead with a simple "escape the undead" premise. After season 1, the pacing becomes very slow (lots of episodes, each 1 hour), and the story drags on and is more about watching the cast settle down in bases/single locations. It becomes a post-apoc survival show.

Personally, I very much enjoyed binge watching this entire show. I even prefered the later seasons than the first seasons. It felt enjoyable to watch a slower paced story of survival and base/world building by the core cast of the show, mainly Rick Grimes and his son Carl. The reason is that "escaping the zombies" and being stressed & running all the time, gets old. I liked the other aspects of post-apocalypse survival themes such as the danger of other human groups (Negan and the saviors, I really liked, the Negan actor is amazing and very charismatic).

One of the common views I read online is that the entire show is amazing if binge watched, as it forms one great story. However it was HELL for the people that watched a single episode per week/month, because often very little happens in each episode, dragging the seasons on forever. But binge watching a season makes for a nice "kick back & relax" TV show to enjoy.

So in conclusion, I would very much ignore the reviews that say "Only season 1 is great" and "anything after season 5 sucks". I would advise you binge watch from season 1, and stop when you no longer want to watch. For me, I just couldn't stop and really started to enjoy the show from season 6 onwards (when the "running from zombies" premise ends).

Overall, no matter one's opinion, one undeniable fact is that this is the QUINTESSENTIAL zombie TV show, with the number of seasons to match. It is simply epic and I cannot wait to see how season 11 concludes this story. Enjoyable through the dead. Just Watch it.
60 out of 68 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A real shame
niriath30 January 2022
The first 4 seasons were genuinely great! Mostly interesting characters with depth and good archs. Season 5 was okay but became a bit messy. Following seasons became a who' who of human stockpiles. Way too many characters, descisions that made no sense, blurry storylines and no character development.

Entering season 11 and I truly have no idea who most of these people are anymore, what they're doing and why.
28 out of 31 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The Walking Dead: Season 1 (10/10)
skybrick73612 May 2018
The Walking Dead in its first season could not be touched. When it came down to it, the first season had a collection of complex characters, thought provoking dialogue, captivating storylines, great cinematography, and downright scary looking zombies. Its hard to pin-point one thing that is extraordinary about Season 1 since there are so many aspects to talk about. First off, the scenes in downtown Atlanta were incredibly visual and the scenes that took place in more rural areas were very scenic. The undead in the first season had great makeup and special effects too, the zombies had defined faces that really make them feel they were once human. If I had to pick one thing that was great about the first season, its has to be the cast... Andrew Lincoln and Jon Bernthal make great, bad ass lead actors that also have the ability to project a range of emotions. Laurie Holden is also radiant in this season and the surrounding cast of Jeffrey DeMunn, Steven Yeun, Irone Singleton, and Norman Reedus all showcase a great character that can be easily become a fan-favorite to any. Frank Darabont hit a grand slam with the Walking Dead and its fairly easily to see why the shows popularity boomed right away.
133 out of 169 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The early seasons are groundbreaking!
Supermanfan-137 August 2021
Everyone know that The Walking Dead isn't as good as it used to be, those earlier seasons were groundbreaking in so many ways and because of them this show still gets a high rating from me! Those earlier seasons make this show one of the best shows of all-time! Like most long running shows, it's had its ups and downs but even at its worst it was still the #1 show on cable, in fact it has been #1 every season it's been on the air. The last few seasons without Andrew Lincoln (Rick Grimes) haven't been as good but it's at least starting to get back to being a pretty good show this season. Norman Reedus (Daryl) and Jeffery Dean Morgan (Negan) have continued to carry the show after Andrew Lincoln's departure and I think we can actually look forward to it again!
46 out of 55 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A Realistic and Amazing Show!
sammielimehouse-8465812 April 2021
The Walking Dead is an incredible show, although it has it's rough patches, like every other show. Especially later seasons like seven and eight. But I love it because of how unforgiving and gritty the show is. Because of how realistic the show typically lives I go into every episode wondering who they're going to kill of next, because this show is know for killing off it's characters. Overall, this is one of my favorite shows AMC has ever produced and there is a reason that it has spawned several sequels and even an entire trilogy of movies.

8.5/10.
52 out of 62 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I Never Thought a Television Show With Zombies Could Work
gavin69421 March 2011
Rick Grimes (Andrew Lincoln) awakes from a coma to find that the world has ended, and they are now in the midst of a zombie Holocaust. Where is his wife? Where is his son? Where is anybody? He must press on, surviving in a world that seems to offer no reason to live.

I do not need to say how great "The Walking Dead" is. The critics have chimed in, the show comes from Frank Darabont and Gale Anne Hurd, both legendary in the horror and science fiction field. And the original comic the show is based on? Possibly the most popular and critically acclaimed comic of the past decade.

I admit I was hesitant about the show -- how many episodes can you make about fighting zombies? The zombie movie is often cliché and poorly done, even more than the recent vampire craze. After one or two episodes, you are bound to run out of original takes on a tired genre, right? No. Not here. And the reason is simple: the show is not about zombies at all, even if they are constantly in the background.

At the heart of the show is how people interact with each other when society breaks down. How do people work together for a common goal when they would otherwise rather punch their cohort in the face? You might compare the show to MTV's "The Real World", only taken to a new level, and with a more intelligent cast.

And there are issues that remain constant, even when society disappears: infidelity, love, trust. There is the practical and philosophical question of what is real now: money has no value. Is a marriage real or a canceled government contract? What good is it being a police officer when you no longer have a state to work for or laws to uphold? The whole "game of life" is changed, and you better learn to adapt quickly.

The cast is fantastic, with a mixture of genre favorites and some more or less unknowns. Jon Bernthal, who I do not know, is Shane Walsh, possibly the most complex character on the show -- he is both the protagonist's best friend and his biggest interference depending on the day and time. His motives are clear to the viewer, but not always to his friends.

Sarah Wayne Callies is Lori Grimes, another complex character with a secret. I personally think Callies is a poor actress who exaggerates her emotions, and is the weak part of casting, but fans of "Prison Break" may be glad to see her. Steven Yeun, as Glenn the Pizza Guy, is the strongest part of the cast, and the one character viewers will look forward to seeing, as he is the only comic relief you will get in this post-apocalyptic world.

The genre regulars are Jeffrey DeMunn as Dale Horwath, who has appeared in everything Frank Darabont does ("Shawshank Redemption", "Green Mile", "The Mist"). Norman Reedus as Daryl Dixon, best known to people from "Boondock Saints", but also starred in the amazing John Carpenter film "Cigarette Burns". And Michael Rooker, who is always great, and took the horror world by story as Henry in "Portrait of a Serial Killer".

How well the show will hold up remains to be seen, with only six episodes down and countless more to come. But with the intricate characters, plenty of open-ended plot lines, and dynamic cast and crew connected with this project, it is sure to maintain a level of greatness for the foreseeable future.
30 out of 35 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Season 7&8 were average but the rest is amazing and entertaining
ethanjjacobs21 March 2021
This is probably my favourite show ever. Definitely not the best show I've watched as there can be a few flaws and the fact that season 7 and 8 weren't up to the rest of the show standards but it's a really entertaining show and the characters are great. Plus it has ten seasons so it's a great binge. If your looking for a show to watch this is definitely it.

Season 1 8.5/10 A very entertaining start to the show and you need to watch it

Season 2 8.2/10 A great second season to twd but can feel dragged out . It has a lot of great scenes and would've been better if they didn't drag it out to 13 episodes.

Season 3 8.9/10 The best season out of the first 3. It shows the first big villain of the show and has a great return of an old character. Andrea is the WORST character in the entire show she seems to always make the wrong decision, the only positive about her is that she is the reason for michonne coming into the show a character that makes this season and show way more action packed. Andrew Lincoln's acting makes the show so much more entertaining this season. A great ending to a great season.

Season 4 9.5/10 A brilliant season and never seems to get boring. The first half of this season is about bringing the governors and Rick's people together and handling a virus in the prison it is a great half of the season. The second half was absolutely amazing the governors return was perfect and entertaining And had a very sad death , the governor destroyed the prison and separated the entire group which brought the awesome Abraham, rosita and eugene . One of my favourite seasons of television and had everything it was entertaining, sad, gory and fun.

Season 5 9.6/10 The show just gets better and more entertaining the first few episodes were the best of the show but the hospital episodes were a little disappointing, but it got better with the introduction of Alexandria, the Morgan return and the execution of one of the worst characters.

Season 6 9.5/10 People don't seem to like this season as much as me but I personally loved it every episode was extremely entertaining and I loved every minute of it, except for the horrible cliff hanger at the end. I do see the flaws in this season but I still really enjoyed it.

******************************************************* ************ SPOILERS FROM THIS POINT********* ******************************************************* Season 7 7.3/10

The introduction to season 7 was crazy and had one of the best , gory death scenes but was also sad because of who was killed . The show has never really been the same after Glenn died he was personally the best character of the show and should never have been killed off it's sadder to know he had a wife and a kid on the way, but they needed to do this to show how dangerous and unpredictable negan is and how much you should fear him another great character introduction to the show is exzekial who is now one of the best characters of the show the rest of the season is pretty average with the introduction of the Oceanside people and the extremely weird garbage people.

Season 8 6.6 Very average season and puts a lot of action and shooting scenes and thinks that will make it a good season. It's not a terrible season it's just average and feels repetitive the good thing about the show is the finale until Rick decides to save negan which was a stupid decision

Season 9 9.6 3rd best season of the show, has a massive step up from the last 2 seasons which was very unexpected. Ricks "death" was the second saddest thing (Glenn's death) of the show until you realise he's actually alive . The show handles the time jump very well and can prove they can still be entertaining without there main character. The introduction of the whisperers were very entertaining and showed they were a massive threat from the head stick Scene killing off 8 characters, some of them being massive characters.

Season 10 8.8/10 A very entertaining and unpredictable season, especially with carol doing anything she can to try and kill alpha including letting negan escape and almost killing magna and Connie, alpha and betas death were very entertaining and satisfying to watch and had the great return of Maggie.

The 6 bonus episodes 6.6/10 I don't include this with season 10 because it wasn't really apart of it. Splinter and diverged were really boring and disappointing. The first one and the second one were decent but still got me a little bored, I did really enjoy 'one more', it was a really entertaining episode. But 'HERES NEGAN' was one of the best episodes of the entire show I loved this episode and they handled the backstory perfectly and it made up for the other 5 episodes.
34 out of 40 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Love this show - brave
jillbeckinheim716 October 2021

29 out of 34 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Lennie James - underrated actor!
daxdiamond24 July 2021
Lennie James - underrated actor!

I know my words won't say what I mean properly - but follow me if you can...

Really impressed with Lennie's acting. Specifically his ability to change his voice/accent. He has the AMERICAN ACCENT (Georgia version - LOL) down Pat! It is AMAZING. I live in Atlanta and on "The Walking Dead" (set in Georgia in the beginning) I had noooooo idea he was from the UK until I heard his first interview. Completely amazed.

(Andrew Lincoln as well but Lennie's is even better) He sounds just like he is from Georgia!

Watching "SAVE ME" right now and his voice is completely different (normal UK accent)

Give this man an award!! He deserves an award for his voice abilities - big time.
28 out of 33 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Bloody Brilliant!
jhmoondance25 September 2021
A fantastic show with outstanding characters portrayed by amazing actors especially young Carl.

Plenty of superb action n stunts n the walkers are stunningly visual.

The only problem I have is the flaws that perhaps don't need to be bothered about like where on earth do they get the seemingly endless supply of ammunition, the can openers for the tins of food, the lighters to light the fires, the gas for the cars? Many more I could add but hey, it's only a fictional series n a bloody brilliant one at that.

I'm busy watching it back to back n I can say I would highly recommend it to anyone who likes plenty of action moderate violence n great acting n story telling!

Superb!
37 out of 47 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
One of best shows I've never seen!!
caleb_mcd14 October 2021
The story telling is very well done in my opinion, however some seasons writing is slightly weaker then others. Great acting, characters are well rounded , makeup effects are amazing and set designs are very detailed and believable. The only downfall is some of the CGI is slightly dated but all in all it's an epic TV show!
31 out of 37 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Possibly the best TV program I have ever seen
andyjcox20 April 2011
I was skeptical about watching this series as I am a huge zombie movie fan and I presumed that this would be a poor adaptation. On watching the first episode I was proved wrong and was instantly hooked. The special effects of the zombies an their victims is first class and a lot better that in recent cinema zombie movies! The story is gripping and keeps you wanting more. No TV series has had me this hooked since the first series of Lost. The only thing that lets this series down is that it is only 6 episodes but this bite size chunk sets the story up perfectly for the second series that is coming in October of 2011 and promises to be double the episodes.

Be warned as this is a zombie program it can be very gory but if you are a zombie flick lover you will not be disappointed by this truly excellent series.
22 out of 25 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Brilliant best ever episode
paama-860411 April 2021
Just watched walking dead S10 NEGAN episode , have to say one of the best if not the best episodes of the whole series, very dramatic and also sad , it fills in all the gaps of Negans history, it would be nice for AMC TO SHOW HOW HE ACTUALLY BECAME the leader of his gang.
22 out of 25 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Great show
joeygassert20 October 2021
I really hate that they turned Michonne into an ultra-cringe character with every decision she makes after season 8, but the show is still a solid 10. Sure some filler episodes here and there, but absolute must-watch if you like the post-apocalyptic/zombie genre.
27 out of 32 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
robfollower4 April 2019
The Walking Dead, up until after the Season 7 premiere, was a show that I looked forward to every week. It was a really well done drama with great performances from the whole cast, walkers included. This did not just apply to a handful of the main cast because some great characters came and went. Every time we lost a good character, we most often were introduced to a just as good if not better character. Not only that, but it was faithful to the themes of the comic books. The only downside was the quality of the CGI effects, but that's understandable seeing as how it is a cable show and probably does not have the same budget as say Game of Thrones. However, this doesn't detract too much from the show. After the season 7 premiere, the show began to falter. The story arcs seemed way to stretched out of the point where a good half of the episodes were filler and it seemed like it lost its worrysome sense that anyone could go at anytime. However, Season 9 brought the show back to its roots in a sense. That danger became a reality once again and the episodes no longer felt like filler. If they keep up with this, the show could regain its footing it once had a few seasons prior.
23 out of 29 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A gold mine was ruined by the writers.
shakattack-3929611 January 2022
Such a unique topic, but writers ruined and destroyed it. Good characters were killed off, and we were left with annoying unlikeable characters and show is not entertaining anymore after season 5. It became an art drama. Even it's spin off is more entertaining.
18 out of 20 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Finally got around to it
AfricanBro25 September 2021
Being a fan of horror I've always wanted to watch this but felt dubious about whether a tv show horror will keep you entertained throughout until I watched Penny Deadful (the original*). The two shows are nothing alike though. I love how it's not only about zombies; there's a lot character development, story telling, grief, people just as dangerous as the walkers, moral conundrums... there's a lot of mature content in between the mindless zombie action.

The first season only has 6 episodes and uses very simple concepts; survival, family, loss and whole bunch of action. But it grows into so much more after that. I feel like they weren't planning on taking it this far, looking at how it only had 6ep but went on to 13-22 episodes a season after that. And they did a good job at it as well.

I'm only onto S5 now as I just started watching recently and it's amazing so far(though I've heard s7 and 8 are rather disappointing). I don't wanna talk about things you can read in other reviews so one of the standout features that might go unnoticed for me is how well this show introduces characters, everyone serves a purpose, whether it's just within an episode or throughout several of them, or across seasons. The transition is so smooth and well thought out. There's a lot of losses, in regard to life, as to be expected in a zombie apocalypse, but they introduce new characters or regroup perfectly. I think this show is the best in that regard.

There's only two things I can criticize this show for, first is the quality of production in the early seasons. Then there's logic in some things revealed to us. Early on, we learn that they could disguise themselves in zombie blood and go almost undetected through a herd, but after that, they never make use of this until seasons later. And it's not exactly the same concept, instead of masquerading yourself in zombie goo, you can walk around with amputated zombies for disguise, not as effective but still, I've only seen it used a handful of times. It's very disappointing because apart from that, the show is very realistic,in it's depiction of a zombie apocalypse of course, so it seems off that they never make use of something like this in their fight for survival. It's really just a minor flaw as the other reviews I've seen don't even recognize it, but it could have had huge implications.
28 out of 36 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Masterpiece!!
xanderlm16 October 2021
Greg Nicotero left the most emotional and blood wrenching story of all time, The Walking Dead delivers a masterpiece worthy performance by almost every character as they progress through the fast paced post apocalyptic America. Character development shines through thick and thin with this story as they are all at some point faced with a moment of grief, loneliness and mental breakdowns. Through the 10 seasons, they are all unforgettable and the story focuses on each character and how they mentally and physically cope with the traumatic experiences of knowing that they are one of the few groups left in the world, story line is able to attract viewers as we see something new each season. The start of season 7 has got to be mentioned as one of the most intimidating and fearful moments in television history... the introduction of Negan, a reckless killer who orders the balance of his community with the aid of other communties, he puts them to their knees and they beg for forgiveness. Another honourable mention is seasons 1-4 as they really allow plot line to shape the characters while the adapt to a broken world. Overall, The Walking Dead is an all around perfect tv show and an emotional story line with compelling and intimidating characters. 10/10.
25 out of 31 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Yeah, it's a good show
dee.reid13 October 2011
George A. Romero once proclaimed, a long time ago, that, "When there is no more room in Hell, the dead will walk the Earth." Romero, is of course, the man who wrote and directed a low-budget horror film called "Night of the Living Dead" in 1968, which became one of the greatest and scariest horror films of all time.

"Night of the Living Dead" helped make flesh-eating zombies a truly horrifying horror movie menace, and also gave rise to generation after generation of bloody, flesh-eating zombies for legions of devoted fans to follow from - movies, books, video games, comics, and faux "zombie survival guides" (you get the point). Romero also directed "Dawn of the Dead," "Night's" superior 1978 sequel, which proved once and for all that zombies were here to stay. (Inconsequently, as a boastful aside, "Dawn of the Dead" is my favorite horror movie of all time and the best, scariest, and most intelligent zombie movie I've ever seen.)

The 21st century saw the impending soon-to-be real-life living dead emergency, "Z"-Day as it's called by some - as a means of helping to capitalize on the fears of the people living in the "new" reality of our post-9/11 world. From the first "The Walking Dead" series of comics in 2003; to Max Brooks's seminal "Z"-Day novel "World War Z" (one of my all-time favorite books, by the way); to Zack Synder's "Dawn of the Dead" (2004), "Shaun of the Dead" (2004), and the "Resident Evil" movies; and to Romero even resurrecting his "Living Dead" series with "Land of the Dead" (2005), "Diary of the Dead" (2007) and "Survival of the Dead" (2009). The point is that in the 21st century, zombies are everywhere you could imagine and they're not going away anytime soon.

So here we are with "The Walking Dead," from filmmaker Frank Darabont and producer Gale Anne Hurd. "The Walking Dead" is an adaptation of the ongoing series of comics by Robert Kirkman, Tony Moore, and Charlie Adlard. While I've never read the comics this show is based on (because I initially believed the comics to be just more nihilistic post-apocalyptic zombie survival-horror of little redeeming social or artistic value in a market that's already heavily saturated with zombie-horror fiction), I do feel now that "The Walking Dead" is currently one of the best TV shows I've ever seen. To their credit, Darabont, Hurd, and the cast & crew of this series have created an outstanding piece of compelling horror-drama that grabs you by the heartstrings and forces you to watch, not just for the gory zombie head-shots, but because of how the clearly defined and well-written characters make you care about the cause for humanity's survival.

I can't speak for the original comic books simply because I haven't read them, but "The Walking Dead" does something few zombie movies (or books or video games, for that matter) are able to do correctly, and that is create fully believable and realistic characters that you do actually care about and grow to know and like, in addition to serving up gory scenes of carnage and flesh-eating that fans of zombie-horror will no doubt be pleased of (that's why Romero's "Dawn of the Dead" is such an important staple of the horror genre). No character on this show is under-written or truly unlikeable that you don't care if they survive or not. For the most part, these are ordinary people who are surviving a post-apocalyptic world after a virus of unknown origin has transformed much of the Earth's population into ravenous zombies (or "walkers").

Using a set-up that's quite similar to the beginning moments of "28 Days Later..." (2002), Sheriff's Deputy Rick Grimes (Andrew Lincoln) is shot-gunned into a coma by a trio of escaped convicts that lucky for him, allows him to survive "The Walking Dead's" version of "Z"-Day. He wakes up several months later, confused, disoriented and alone, and struggling to find out what's going on. Soon enough, he finds that he's not alone and that zombies have taken over the world. He does encounter other survivors, but his main mission is to reconnect with his wife and young son, whom he firmly believes are still alive somewhere.

And he's right. His wife Lori (Sarah Wayne Callies) and son Carl (Chandler Riggs) are indeed alive, along with a small group of survivors that are led by his former partner Shane Walsh (Jon Bernthal). Other survivors include Andrea (Laurie Holden), Dale (Jeffrey DeMunn), Glenn (Steven Yeun), T-Dog (IronE Singleton), and the trouble-making redneck Daryl Dixon (Norman Reedus).

As stated before, the amazing depth of the characters in "The Walking Dead" makes a strong case for humanity's continued existence in the post-"Z"-Day reality this show creates. This lends the show a depth and poignancy that is rarely achieved in zombie-horror. Each one of the characters whether it be Rick Grimes, Shane Walsh, Dale, Andrea or even Daryl, can allow the viewer to make an emotional connection with them (which in the zombie genre is a difficult thing to do correctly, especially if the focus is mostly on action sequences and gore, though there is still plenty of that here, too). The prosthetic make-up effects and gore by Greg Nicotero & company are simply outstanding, easily on-par with something that Tom Savini himself may have done on any one of Romero's zombie flicks. This is a mature-rated TV series, remember, so it's really not advisable to let children watch this show because of the graphic zombie violence.

"The Walking Dead" is one of the best TV shows on the air right now. Its humanity (that is what "The Walking Dead" is ultimately about, humanity's case for survival post-"Z"-Day) and three-dimensional characters easily overpower the gore and special effects (although gore-hounds won't be disappointed by helpful doses of Nicotero's gory action scenes this show stages up from point to point). "The Walking Dead" is highly recommended, highly compelling television programming.

30 out of 40 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
New Fan
ymrhqtrz25 July 2021
I recently came across the walking dead, and I was hooked immediately. Three weeks later, I've finished all 10 seasons and I'm really looking forward to the 11th season. I'm fairly confused by some of the reviews that state 'the show got boring' or 'the show lost its way'. The show for myself only got better and better with each season. Yes there were some hit and miss moments, but for the most part the show is extremely well done and way better than anything zombie related I've seen on Tv. All in all the show is going to go out with a massive sendoff when it comes back for its final season, I simply cannot wait.
31 out of 38 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Great series
jhmoondance17 September 2021
Good solid acting from every actor especially the young lad who plays Carl. Great scenes n realistic 'walkers'.

I'm only on season 3 ep10 but already its becoming a war against the survivors v the survivors n the writers should stick to more zombie action against the living. It's slowly losing its path of survival against the walkers.

I'm looking forward to watching the rest of the series but hope it has more fighting for survival against the zombies. I think I may be disappointed after reading some of the reviews here though.

Great tense series!
30 out of 40 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
This show is NOT about zombies
cubsnovak1 May 2021
I stayed away from waithis show for over a decade. The reason is that I thought,"Great. Another show about zombies. Big deal. I've seeñ that story before..." Well...Yes. Zombies, or rather "walkers", are very much prevalent throughout the entire show.

I love this program because to me, it's all about right v wrong, honour v no honour, using your intelligence, creativity,ingenuity, and your trust in your fellow humans, in order to not just survive a world that you had never known. Not just survive...but to create a community. Heck. Not a community, but a new civilisation. You will follow a band of characters who encounter a plethora of antagonists. Some of these antagonists are simply bad. And some are extremely evil and sadistic.
70 out of 82 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.