The Walking Dead (TV Series 2010–2022) Poster

(2010–2022)

1,810 Reviews
Loved this show but it was time for it to end!
DiCaprioFan1329 November 2022
I've been a fan of The Walking Dead ever since the first episode of the first season. Even though the quality has gone down in recent years I still haven't missed an episode. While the last few seasons weren't quite as good they were still worth watching. It did go out on a high note though, the last season was actually pretty good. It had a few slow filler episodes but overall it was solid. Even though it was definitely time for it to end I'm still going to miss it. When something's been apart of your life for so long it's hard to say goodbye. The good news for fans is that there are a few spinoffs coming in 2023. I'm actually interested in the spinoffs considering they all star my favorite characters from the main show. There's three of them so far...one with Rick & Michonne, one with Negan & Maggie and one with Darryl going over to Europe. Again, those all happen to be my favorite characters so I'm looking forward to them and hope they're good!
17 out of 17 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
it was something for awhile
SnoopyStyle21 November 2022
Deputy Sheriff Rick Grimes wakes up from a coma to find the hospital abandoned and is alone. A zombie apocalypse has broken out while he was out. He finds other survivors as he searches for his family.

This was a big hit for AMC and creator Frank Darabont. It's the little show that could. For a few years, this was must-see TV. It was addictive. It was talk-worthy. What follows is a long slow decline to the end of its eleven seasons. This show has memorable characters. People love them or else a bad death wouldn't have resulted in as much anger. It ran for too long and had too many spinoffs. It was fun while it lasted.
17 out of 18 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Going to miss it but it's prob time for it to go!
Supermanfan-135 March 2021
Everyone know that The Walking Dead isn't as good as it used to be, those early seasons were groundbreaking in so many ways and because of them this show still gets a high rating from me! Those earlier seasons make this show one of the best shows of all-time! Like most long running shows, it's had its ups and downs but even at its worst it was still the #1 show on cable, in fact it has been #1 every season it's been on the air. The last few seasons without Andrew Lincoln (Rick Grimes) haven't been as good but it's at least starting to get back to being a pretty good show this season. Norman Reedus (Daryl) and Jeffery Dean Morgan (Negan) have continued to carry the show after Andrew Lincoln's departure and I think we can actually look forward to it again!
210 out of 263 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
TWD is One of the Best TV Shows Ever Made (2022 Review)
nikiforosvlll23 November 2022
The audience is clearly divided when talking about TWD and that's understandable. The show had many ups and downs and that's normal for a show with 11 seasons. Many people say that anything after season 5 is garbage but i strongly disagree. Also many people believe that after 'Rick Grimes'' (the most important character) left the show it fell apart. I got sad too when Rick left but i strongly disagree because there were many other great characters that were able to keep the show fresh and exciting. I would say that seasons 1,2,3,4,5,6,7 and seasons 10,11 were amazing. The best seasons have to be seasons 1,2,3. The show has decent development for most of the characters and most of the newer characters that it introduced in later seasons were likeable. The show also has some amazing villains, my favorite are Negan, The Governor and Beta.

Sometimes the show had a problem with introducing too many characters to the point that it got annoying and frustrating. It's better to focus on a few characters and develop them the right way than having dozens of underdeveloped characters. The show is also guilty of promoting ''diversity'' in a very uncool and forced way. The best example was the whole sign language thing with Connie where all the characters eventually learn how to use sign language, it was ridiculous and felt very forced. Sadly the show has many uninteresting, unlikable and annoying characters, something that sometimes will make your viewing experience unpleasant. Also the show is guilty of reusing the same plot recipe which is finding new bad guys to fight all the time. You will be able to enjoy countless thrilling, exciting, dramatic and well-written episodes though. Another thing you should know is that in later seasons the writers became very inconsistent at times. I think people who enjoy horror, action, fantasy, drama and post apocalyptic themes will be able to enjoy this show the most. I used to not like anything zombie related but this show changed my mind.

Characters i like (in order): 1) Daryl 2) Rick 3) Negan 4) Glenn 5) Shane 6) Hershel 7) Dale 8) Michonne 9) Carol 10) Ezekiel 11) Gabriel 12) Eugene 13) Aaron 14) Rosita 15) Mercer 16) Beta 17) The Governor 18) Jerry 19) Lance.

Characters i dislike or i find them to be uninteresting or annoying (random order): Connie, Kelly, Magna, Yumiko, Princess, Lydia, Tara, Lori, Anne, Andrea, Alpha, Henry, Tomi, Luke, Leah, Pope, Cyndie.

Do you want to watch a group of survivors trying to survive in a dangerous post apocalyptic world full of walkers (zombies) and other human enemies? Then this show is for you! It has its flaws but it is definitely worth watching. Can't wait to watch the spin-off shows.

My rating is 9/10.
28 out of 31 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Very much alive for Seasons 1-5, Season 7 dead
TheLittleSongbird11 November 2017
Had heard nothing but great things about 'The Walking Dead' from friends and IMDb reviewers. It took a while to get round to walking, both from being busy and also not being sure whether it would be my cup of tea.

Finally getting round to it a few years ago and slowly working my way through it, 'The Walking Dead' turned out to be very much my cup of tea and as good as the hype made it out to be. Seasons 1-5 of 'The Walking Dead' to me were absolutely brilliant, and it still shocks me at how an intelligent, well-made (so much so that it is easy to mistake it for a film) show about zombies could be made when so many films have tried and failed abysmally to do so. My only complaint about the early seasons actually is the slightly slow start to Season 2.

'The Walking Dead' is incredibly well made in the production values, with gritty and audacious production design, photography of almost cinematic quality, effects that look good, have soul and are not overused or abused and pretty frightening make-up which helps make the already freaky zombies even freakier. The music is haunting and affecting, having presence but never being too intrusive.

For five seasons, the writing was intelligent and thought-provoking, with lots of tension and emotional resonance and improving every time a story and character were expanded and given more complexity. Loved that the stories had multiple layers and felt satisfactorily resolved, while the action is both thrilling and terrifying, the blood-spattering gore uncompromising.

Seasons 3 and 4 are especially good in this regard, and it is the latter where the complexities and nuance of the storytelling and characterisation particularly shine. The pace was a little slow to begin with in Season 2 but thrilling elsewhere while not rushing through important pieces of information. Direction is smart and atmospheric while the show throughout has been strongly acted especially from the two leads playing particularly well-crafted characters.

Which is why it is so sad that Season 7 has been a dead mess on the whole, apart from the production values, some effective world-building and the actors did their best with what they had (an achievement somewhat, admiration is to be had for anybody able to do anything with such poor material). Season 6 did have some slow and pointless moments and the finale was a disappointment but had good things. Can say very little good about Season 7 though.

A season where once interesting, complex characters are no more. Negan was a fascinating villain, now a cartoonish caricature that one wants done away with, don't blame Jeffrey Dean Morgan here, he's great in the role, it's the writing. Pacing has been all over the map, often brutally slow. The season has had too many characters and subplots that are mostly under-explored or completely superfluous. There was heavy reliance on over-convenience, lots of melodrama, very talky sections that add little and feel like padding, little character growth, frustratingly illogical decision making and some convolution. And there were very few thrills or scares thanks to lack of suspense and a sense that everything feels toned down.

Overall, brilliant for about just over two-thirds but Season 7 was a serious disappointment and has left me dubious as to whether to stick with the show for the eighth season. With such a decline lately, there is a sense that a once addictive personal favourite show has run its course. 7.5/10 Bethany Cox
157 out of 202 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The Walking Dead: Season 1 (10/10)
skybrick73612 May 2018
The Walking Dead in its first season could not be touched. When it came down to it, the first season had a collection of complex characters, thought provoking dialogue, captivating storylines, great cinematography, and downright scary looking zombies. Its hard to pin-point one thing that is extraordinary about Season 1 since there are so many aspects to talk about. First off, the scenes in downtown Atlanta were incredibly visual and the scenes that took place in more rural areas were very scenic. The undead in the first season had great makeup and special effects too, the zombies had defined faces that really make them feel they were once human. If I had to pick one thing that was great about the first season, its has to be the cast... Andrew Lincoln and Jon Bernthal make great, bad ass lead actors that also have the ability to project a range of emotions. Laurie Holden is also radiant in this season and the surrounding cast of Jeffrey DeMunn, Steven Yeun, Irone Singleton, and Norman Reedus all showcase a great character that can be easily become a fan-favorite to any. Frank Darabont hit a grand slam with the Walking Dead and its fairly easily to see why the shows popularity boomed right away.
159 out of 205 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Amazing if you binge-watch.
balder77713 June 2021
This is a very long running TV-show (10+ years) with many seasons. One common view is that the first seasons are great, then it becomes garbage. I decided to binge-watch in 2021 to make an opinion for myself.

What I will say is that season 1 is definitely the fastest paced season, reminiscent of typical Zombie films such as Dawn of the Dead with a simple "escape the undead" premise. After season 1, the pacing becomes very slow (lots of episodes, each 1 hour), and the story drags on and is more about watching the cast settle down in bases/single locations. It becomes a post-apoc survival show.

Personally, I very much enjoyed binge watching this entire show. I even prefered the later seasons than the first seasons. It felt enjoyable to watch a slower paced story of survival and base/world building by the core cast of the show, mainly Rick Grimes and his son Carl. The reason is that "escaping the zombies" and being stressed & running all the time, gets old. I liked the other aspects of post-apocalypse survival themes such as the danger of other human groups (Negan and the saviors, I really liked, the Negan actor is amazing and very charismatic).

One of the common views I read online is that the entire show is amazing if binge watched, as it forms one great story. However it was HELL for the people that watched a single episode per week/month, because often very little happens in each episode, dragging the seasons on forever. But binge watching a season makes for a nice "kick back & relax" TV show to enjoy.

So in conclusion, I would very much ignore the reviews that say "Only season 1 is great" and "anything after season 5 sucks". I would advise you binge watch from season 1, and stop when you no longer want to watch. For me, I just couldn't stop and really started to enjoy the show from season 6 onwards (when the "running from zombies" premise ends).

Overall, no matter one's opinion, one undeniable fact is that this is the QUINTESSENTIAL zombie TV show, with the number of seasons to match. It is simply epic and I cannot wait to see how season 11 concludes this story. Enjoyable through the dead. Just Watch it.
109 out of 134 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Utterly surprised
Sleepin_Dragon12 April 2011
I have to be honest i was stunned at just how much i enjoyed this, been a while since i can say i'm impatient for part 2 of anything, the first episode was captivating. i have only seen episode 1 but after that alone i feel this is worthy of a 10/10, it has an originality which in a TV series is quite a nice change. Big big fan of Andrew Lincoln, quite a surprise to hear him with an American accent but i think he pulls it off well enough. True enough there were a few leaky points, like why was he left untouched in an unlocked hospital room but who cares. The scene when he walks out of the hospital past all the dead bodies and empty streets, wow, what a piece of brilliance. The effects were great, wouldn't recommend anyone having a kebab while watching it though :-)

Update, 2019, I'm not surprised it's still going, and I'm looking forward to the introduction of Samantha Morton. It has varied in quality since the first series, but it's still a great watch.
110 out of 145 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A real shame
niriath30 January 2022
The first 4 seasons were genuinely great! Mostly interesting characters with depth and good archs. Season 5 was okay but became a bit messy. Following seasons became a who' who of human stockpiles. Way too many characters, descisions that made no sense, blurry storylines and no character development.

Entering season 11 and I truly have no idea who most of these people are anymore, what they're doing and why.
104 out of 132 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
What really killed the show for me
strizbiz-9942925 April 2022
I really used to love this show, first 6 seasons were great, then things just slowly started going downhill, and what made things worse is all these mid season finales......only airing half of a season and then waiting months and months for the rest of a season is soooooo tired at this point. By the time we get to the second half of a season my interest is less and less. Now we're waiting for the second half of the series finale and to be honest.... I'm really not that interested, no one's sitting on the edge of their seats waiting for the show to return at this point. It's just really time to pull the plug on this show. All the " let's take a really long break mid season.....every season " is what ultimately killed it for me.
66 out of 84 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Role Credits
eoinpgeary21 November 2022
The walking dead !!

This show overall is very good, I personally believe the first 5 seasons are very strong with some AMAZING story lines. Season 6 does take a dip and in my opinion season 7 and 8 are some of the worst episodes of tv out there.

Season 9 picks up a bit and 10 is okay, finishing with our longest season yet, 11. The final season is pretty good i think, it doesn't hold a candle to the early season, I think this is because the early seasons seem so much more confined and it's the characters and their actions we relied on for our entertainment not the big bad world !

I think it's hard to confine a score for the show as different seasons feel so unique in good and bad ways. I want to highlight that season 1-5 is honestly phenomenal !! I would rate them a strong 9

Season 6 gets a bit slower and a bit different but a strong season, I'd rate it an 8

Season 7 and 8 simply get a 4 or 5 from me, they have some good episodes but in general are beyond poor.

I think season 9 and 10 would fall at a 7 and season 11 gets an 8 with some really good episodes and stories. I did not like how season 11 finished as it was setting up shows, not ending a story, yes it wraps things up but i doesn't feel like the end of the show, it feels like I have to watch the spin offs for a real end which I don't like. At the end I will attach my series finale review.

The walking dead gets a solid 8/10 as a series, some amazing characters like Rick, Michone, The governor, Tyrece, Daryl, Meryl, Glenn, and so many more that will always stay with me, I will miss this show I'm a way and I really do recommend it.

On a side note season 4 mid finale is one of the best episodes of tv, with the most brutal scene out there, LOVE IT.

S11 EP24 review ( This episode closes the season in a pretty decent way, my problem is that it doesn't feel like the end of the show, the last 10+ minutes of this show just set up the spin off shows coming next year and later. There is a few flash backs but honestly, as an episode itself it's fairly just okay.

I am quite underwhelmed as I feel it takes away from the characters not getting a spin off show, right now I believe I will watch them but that might change in time.

There were some good scenes in this episode, some gasp moments and some dull ones, the series has had some much better finales and mid season finales, I can't imagine how hard it must be to end a show this big bit surely there would be a better ending than this.

I think I'm just bothered it isn't an ending, it's honestly like a set up episode for the Rick and Michone show, Daryl show, and Maggie and Negan show which I feel is really not needed, it just seems very milked out at this point. Why not just incorporate these stories into the walking dead itself which could possibly have made it much bigger, I'm not saying this show is game of thrones but that did very good episodes with different characters that could all make an explosive last season, I think 2-3 more seasons would be better to end it rather than 3 other shows, just my opinion a poor finale. )
18 out of 21 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A Realistic and Amazing Show!
sammielimehouse-8465812 April 2021
The Walking Dead is an incredible show, although it has it's rough patches, like every other show. Especially later seasons like seven and eight. But I love it because of how unforgiving and gritty the show is. Because of how realistic the show typically lives I go into every episode wondering who they're going to kill of next, because this show is know for killing off it's characters. Overall, this is one of my favorite shows AMC has ever produced and there is a reason that it has spawned several sequels and even an entire trilogy of movies.

8.5/10.
65 out of 92 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
More highs than lows
pimmelprinz29 November 2022
First: Thank you AMC for this Series. I finished now the last episode and I can tell: Its a great End of something epic!

The whole Series has had it very high moments and some low moments. I kept the endurance and was not disappointed at the end.

All in all it is a great Series and I'm happy and sad that it will end with S11E24 There was some good Spin-Offs which made you crazy in timeline (FotWD) and some really, I don't know how to describe this scam... (TWD:WB...) which was so unnecessary...

But the original didn't disappoint me in total. Some seasons were stronger than others, but to get all magic of TWD, it is not pain in your ass to watch it all!

The Actors were 99% great! Everyone of them! Thank you also! Main Actors, Side Actors and Extras! The acting was great! Specialy the main Actors which was onscreen from Season 1 till End of 11! Wow!

I hope this will not be destroyed by spin-offs and other referring series! (TWD:WB was one turn to destroy the magic! Learn from your mistakes AMC and make a Jourfix!)
15 out of 15 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I Never Thought a Television Show With Zombies Could Work
gavin69421 March 2011
Rick Grimes (Andrew Lincoln) awakes from a coma to find that the world has ended, and they are now in the midst of a zombie Holocaust. Where is his wife? Where is his son? Where is anybody? He must press on, surviving in a world that seems to offer no reason to live.

I do not need to say how great "The Walking Dead" is. The critics have chimed in, the show comes from Frank Darabont and Gale Anne Hurd, both legendary in the horror and science fiction field. And the original comic the show is based on? Possibly the most popular and critically acclaimed comic of the past decade.

I admit I was hesitant about the show -- how many episodes can you make about fighting zombies? The zombie movie is often cliché and poorly done, even more than the recent vampire craze. After one or two episodes, you are bound to run out of original takes on a tired genre, right? No. Not here. And the reason is simple: the show is not about zombies at all, even if they are constantly in the background.

At the heart of the show is how people interact with each other when society breaks down. How do people work together for a common goal when they would otherwise rather punch their cohort in the face? You might compare the show to MTV's "The Real World", only taken to a new level, and with a more intelligent cast.

And there are issues that remain constant, even when society disappears: infidelity, love, trust. There is the practical and philosophical question of what is real now: money has no value. Is a marriage real or a canceled government contract? What good is it being a police officer when you no longer have a state to work for or laws to uphold? The whole "game of life" is changed, and you better learn to adapt quickly.

The cast is fantastic, with a mixture of genre favorites and some more or less unknowns. Jon Bernthal, who I do not know, is Shane Walsh, possibly the most complex character on the show -- he is both the protagonist's best friend and his biggest interference depending on the day and time. His motives are clear to the viewer, but not always to his friends.

Sarah Wayne Callies is Lori Grimes, another complex character with a secret. I personally think Callies is a poor actress who exaggerates her emotions, and is the weak part of casting, but fans of "Prison Break" may be glad to see her. Steven Yeun, as Glenn the Pizza Guy, is the strongest part of the cast, and the one character viewers will look forward to seeing, as he is the only comic relief you will get in this post-apocalyptic world.

The genre regulars are Jeffrey DeMunn as Dale Horwath, who has appeared in everything Frank Darabont does ("Shawshank Redemption", "Green Mile", "The Mist"). Norman Reedus as Daryl Dixon, best known to people from "Boondock Saints", but also starred in the amazing John Carpenter film "Cigarette Burns". And Michael Rooker, who is always great, and took the horror world by story as Henry in "Portrait of a Serial Killer".

How well the show will hold up remains to be seen, with only six episodes down and countless more to come. But with the intricate characters, plenty of open-ended plot lines, and dynamic cast and crew connected with this project, it is sure to maintain a level of greatness for the foreseeable future.
45 out of 64 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Used to love this! Now it needs to finish!
terrykelly-345128 February 2022
Was the best thing on TV at one point! Couldn't wait for it to be on! Was so engaging and all the character threads were amazing! Now they are all getting on my nerves! Is it wrong to want them all to be turned into zombies? I now watch this on a tablet in the background while watching something else. Want to finish it but not really bothered what happens to them! Has been dragged out for far too long now.
54 out of 69 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Hats off for a fine journey. And
bdwilliams4728 November 2022
Respect for all that this show has accomplished. I'm not sure that I can catalog it all here. I have turned to this show during times of real loss, and met fictional loss in this show that helped me on my journey. Who knew that a, dare I say it when they never do, a "zombie" show could share such humanity? What greater praise is there, really, for art of any kind? Thank you, thank you, thank you. And... please, as you launch into a new era of making spin-offs, please, creators of those new shows, please re-watch the first few seasons. I will always be a fan of Carol, Daryl, etc., etc. In every season. But there is no comparison, point blank. Please find, again, those elements that first drew us in.
20 out of 21 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Love Show BUT The Writers/Producers Need To Get Back To War Against Walkers!!!
thatmediaguy2 February 2018
Have been true fan from beginning, still am, love the show and the characters, BUT.....

the taking on of other people, while realistic, is a bit much and they barely fight again the Walkers anymore. This is sad as the fear, desperation and horror of struggling to survive in a world now ruled by Walking Dead, is how it all started.

So this is a sincere request to the leaders, the writers and producers, get back to fighting and surviving against the Walkers/Zombies!! Please!!!
348 out of 431 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Adios TWD!
manolo-webmaster12 December 2016
They've lost me, the producers have lost me. How many times can they recycle the same plot? This is no longer humanity vs zombies, this is humans vs humans with a unnecessary dose of violence and twisted psyche, all for the sake of maintaining ratings and milking the cash cow. The writers creativity have been depleted for a few seasons now, there has been no direction, no gradual learning, no story development. All the physical moving around is just the illusion of story to mask the fact that there isn't a story being told at all. The show isn't going anywhere. I have stopped watching, and I feel liberated from this burden of a show. TWD has slowly decomposed into a gross, unintelligent TV show. Who keeps making gas, electricity... but then there's no radio communication... What happened to the military, the government, smart people, common sense... I understand the appeal for certain demographics, but I, for once, demand more from entertainment than this garbage, good bye!!!
633 out of 967 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Bloody Brilliant!
jhmoondance25 September 2021
A fantastic show with outstanding characters portrayed by amazing actors especially young Carl.

Plenty of superb action n stunts n the walkers are stunningly visual.

The only problem I have is the flaws that perhaps don't need to be bothered about like where on earth do they get the seemingly endless supply of ammunition, the can openers for the tins of food, the lighters to light the fires, the gas for the cars? Many more I could add but hey, it's only a fictional series n a bloody brilliant one at that.

I'm busy watching it back to back n I can say I would highly recommend it to anyone who likes plenty of action moderate violence n great acting n story telling!

Superb!
43 out of 65 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The longer they force this show - the more its reputation will suffer.
nja8912 October 2019
I think I speak for many when I say, this show USED to be one of the greats. I think after season 7 it started going way down hill. I remember everyone being thoroughly entranced & on the edge of their seats by the writing of this show for the first 6-7 seasons. It was excellent.

It has become painfully obvious that this show is being forced & NEEDS to end. All they're doing is ruining a once great series' reputation. Kind of like a once amazing an athlete who refuses to retire & sucks so bad he embarrasses himself.

It feels like greed is the only thing keeping this show alive. Please, for the sake of all one-time super-fans...END THE SHOW!
118 out of 178 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Like watching a loved one slowly die
numbnuts-975215 January 2021
Prepare for each season to be worse than the last.
14 out of 16 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
how to ruin a show!
mohamadreza3873 April 2022
After five excellent seasons an obvious change of creators ruined the show with every season to the point of wishing it to end as quick as possible!

But political messages are more important than logic and heart of the show nowadays and i wonder which gullible group of people are the target?!
28 out of 35 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Long ass series so this is a long ass review. (S11 update)
AfricanBro25 September 2021
Being a fan of horror I've always wanted to watch this but felt dubious about whether a tv show horror will keep you entertained throughout until I watched Penny Deadful (the original*). The two shows are nothing alike though. I love how it's not only about zombies; there's a lot character development, story telling, grief, people just as dangerous as the walkers, moral conundrums... there's a lot of mature content in between the mindless zombie action.

The first season only has 6 episodes and uses very simple concepts; survival, family, loss and whole bunch of action. But it grows into so much more after that. I feel like they weren't planning on taking it this far, looking at how it only had 6ep but went on to 13-22 episodes a season after that. And they did a good job at it as well.

I'm only onto S5 now as I just started watching recently and it's amazing so far(though I've heard s7 and 8 are rather disappointing). I don't wanna talk about things you can read in other reviews so one of the standout features that might go unnoticed for me is how well this show introduces characters, everyone serves a purpose, whether it's just within an episode or throughout several of them, or across seasons. The transition is so smooth and well thought out. There's a lot of losses, in regard to life, as to be expected in a zombie apocalypse, but they introduce new characters or regroup perfectly. I think this show is the best in that regard.

There's only two things I can criticize this show for, first is the quality of production in the early seasons. Then there's logic in some things revealed to us. Early on, we learn that they could disguise themselves in zombie blood and go almost undetected through a herd, but after that, they never make use of this until seasons later. And it's not exactly the same concept, instead of masquerading yourself in zombie goo, you can walk around with amputated zombies for disguise, not as effective but still, I've only seen it used a handful of times. It's very disappointing because apart from that, the show is very realistic,in it's depiction of a zombie apocalypse of course, so it seems off that they never make use of something like this in their fight for survival. It's really just a minor flaw as the other reviews I've seen don't even recognize it, but it could have had huge implications.

Alright an update now that I've caught up to s11.

As others have said it does fall off around season 7 but if you're new, binge watching the show for the first time it's not as bad as it's put out; the series just dives away from what made it the walking dead and focuses more on the living humans conflicts.

It starts to get it's groove back as you head towards season 9. Of course the earlier seasons are still the better ones. I realized because for context it took me a few weeks to go through s1-6 and months to get to 9. It's definitely the longest show I've ever watched with 22 episodes a season, each usually near an hour long.

S10 is full of ups and downs and the down are terribly low, could barely get past episode 21 for example, while some episodes are described as far as some of the best in the show. But it made sense, with covid restrictions there were a lot of filler episodes that focused on only one character alone to have minimal contact within the cast. Some of those like "Negan's here", the finale, were great. It just felt like some were too long overdue and under delivered. The first half of the season was great as we get to see more of the Whisperers which were the most bad ass villains the series had, could have been Negan but after such a stupendous introduction that I cannot praise enough he falls off into an almost cartoonish written character.

What I loved about the later seasons especially with the whisperers, is that it addresses the only major problem I had with the show in it's early seasons as I mentioned, when we learnt covering yourself in walker remains made you safe but it was information that was never used and it annoyed it. The whisperers made up for it. But after they're defeated, the second half of the season kinda loses itself, with as I said a farrago of both the worst and the best episodes of the show. We get to see the best and worst of Angela Kang.

Another thing I loved about the show is how well and bravely it got rid of lead characters and replaced them, either within an episode or across several, they all served purpose, but it wasn't as smooth, like the great characters killed by the whisperers just to be replaced by those like Princess? Also they were always brace enough to move on when the writers outgrew the place they consider home, from that small camp, to Hershel's farm to the prison to Alexandria. Alexandria seems to have run out of stories to tell from the writers and food sources for survival but they keep going back there even after it's destroyed. Realistically speaking it just makes sense to move on from that area especially since we keep hearing about how they've scavenged everything in a million mile radius. Anyway on to s11 and see how that goes when we see more of princess and the new villains of the story they've found in the reapers and the Star Wars looking guys.

S11 now and reading all this back has made me realize it's really changed from the claimed horror it was advertised to be and is more of a apocalypse drama now. Also I really need these guys to close the book on Rick and jadis? Did they run to these Star Wars looking people.

I like s11 so far, it's more consistent and I think it's better than the previous few. I like that they showed how much better the reapers were individually against the usual, the Alexandrian's let's call them. How fighting off even one of them needed 4 people because these are ex-military. And come to think of it the whisperer storyline didn't really need two seasons no matter how good an enemy they were. Gabriel seems to have taken a hidden sort of bigger role as we see him question his faith, I like that they seeped off at it little by little across episodes instead of just dedicated one entire one to him which seemed to have gotten a little common as the show progressed.

In the Commonwealth it's no longer about the walking dead, The story around what's happening in the there is two layered, there's the story everyone's told and another underneath. Most of the characters seem to be living their own separate lives but I think it'll all come together, like Stephanie being Mercer's brother who kellie and Connie are looking into, and the teaser of tension between Daryl and Maggie as he lead a troop into Alexandria. Don't know if this is going to be a good thing or not, with the walking dead looking like they're straying away from storylines centered around walkers which, but I guess after 11 seasons and 170+ episodes it'd become more challenging to still keep it about zombies. It's less like a zombie thriller and more like a action drama. Waiting for the second half of the season to air.
31 out of 46 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A great thing, but dragged out too long
tommdennehy2 December 2022
I would put this series my top 5 off all time despite the last few series were a tad disappointing. Maybe COVID affected the script writing but it did tail off.

Enough of that and on to the good stuff. The early seasons are just phenomenal. It's less about the walkers and more about the characters and relationships they build and the challenges they faced in trying to forge a life amidst the horror around them. And in fact the other people rather than the walkers prove more of a problem to them.

There's so much to keep you on tenterhooks. Stories are told brilliantly, there's genuine terror and fear. A constant menace.

The first 6 series are incredible. There are moments that you'll never forget. Moments that will shake you to your core. Moments that are just 'what the...'

It's genuinely moving at times too and that's where the early seasons are best. It's not a gore fest like the later ones. It's just great TV.

This would have been a clear 10 but for the drawn out ending.
6 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A lesson in how to destroy the best show on TV
skintone-3860030 October 2017
Future TV execs and producers should study this phenomenon, to learn how not to destroy a brilliant TV series. Seasons 1 to 6 were incredible, rating 10/10. Seasons 7 and 8 are a total disgrace. How could the producers and writers allow this? Surely they must have known the quality of the show was just terrible ? Yet they let it happen? They could have afforded to get good writers to start again surely? What was gritty, tense survival action becomes a boring soap opera, dragged out , focus on the uninteresting characters, whole episodes where nothing happens. And then what is it with the amateurish directing ?? Dream sequences, close ups to actors faces in slow motion with silly music?? What the hell is that?? Did the execs give the camera to their nephews for a bit of practice? Something is very very wrong here. It's just inexplicable really how they could have made such a massive mistake on such a big scale. All the long time fans can see it and agree. Why can't the producers? What is wrong with Scott Gimple? Why don't the execs listen to the fans and change the script writers and fire Scott Gimple??
26 out of 37 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.