Untold: Breaking Point (2021) Poster

Lots of respect and love for Mardy.
Sleepin_Dragon16 September 2021
Did anyone talk about mental health issues in the 90's be honest no, especially when the subject was a six foot plus bloke.

This series focuses on the mental health issues of Mardy Fish, fascinating to learn so much about him, his struggles, and this fascinating relationship with Andy Roddick. So much expectation on those shoulders, a world class player, sadly greatness is reserved for only a handful of players.

I do follow the ATP and WTA, and have since the early 90's, so much focus on mental health now, with what's happening to Naomi Osaka, and to some degree Emma Raducanu.

It was awesome to see so many faces from the past, amazing also to see that Roddick's serve didn't change all that much over the years.

Such an interesting watch, I will never forget that final against Federer.

Insightful, 9/10.
6 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Strong message
Calicodreamin7 September 2021
In todays culture mental health is becoming more of an open topic, so this doc carried a strong message about what harm can come when people feel they cant discuss their mental state. The documentary was well put together, the interviews were relevant, and the content interesting.
9 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Very well put-together entry in the Untold series! [+70%]
arungeorge138 September 2021
A worthwhile companion piece to the other episodes in Netflix's sports documentary series Untold, Breaking Point is a story that needed to be told (all puns intended!). Right from the childhood camaraderie between Mardy Fish and Andy Roddick, there's so much to this episode that makes it simultaneously relatable and enjoyable. Playing in the big leagues comes with stress, pressure, criticism, and opinions from all directions - be it any sport - not to mention, for a sport that thrives on individual capacity like tennis.

I cannot even imagine the levels of anxiety that Mardy must have gone through on several critical occasions in his career. That being said, it was wonderful to see him surrounded by such a caring, supportive family and an excellent buddy in Christian. I suppose that makes all the differences sometimes. To be able to tell your story (a huge component of which comprises breakdowns and panic attacks) without compromises takes a lot of guts. I'm glad a top-tier player like Mardy did it - not just for sporting talents like himself - but for everyone who's forced to conceal their sorrows and pressures deep down.

I really enjoyed the way the makers meshed the interviews with actual match footage to give it that moment-by-moment feel. The story moves forward objectively and remains that way all through. The life of Mardy Fish will forever inspire the lives of millions out there battling mental health issues; that an entertainment conglomerate like Netflix decided to showcase it to the whole world is truly admirable.
8 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Good sports doc.
Analog_Devotee13 September 2021
I'm not a big tennis fan but this was still very enjoyable as someone who knows next to nothing about the sport and its players. Netflix's Untold series is really filling the 30 for 30 void for me since I have no way to watch it anymore. I just wish these episodes were grouped together for easier access -- I really don't understand the decision to split them up. What is this, a scavenger hunt?
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Fantastic
mikeiskorn22 September 2021
I honestly didn't know who Mardy was prior to watching this but these documentaries have been so good, it was very interesting to watch. It's wonderful to see how he overcame everything but at the same time, surely that huge amount of pressure over many years were detrimental and the start of his anxiety was a by product of his drive to do well. Anyway, just watch this documentary. It's worth your time.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Congrats Mardy!
helenahandbasket-9373412 September 2021
Absolutely the best of the Untold series- a brilliant breakdown that appreciates the skill and mindset required to reach the upper echelon of greatness with the intrinsic ability to weave between the issues of mental illness until the ultimate battle arrives.

Mardy was a great talent on the court, but what he brings off the court is so much more- it's a shame the mindset of some when he wanted to come forward was to continue to suffer in silence but good for him and his wife, and his trainer to face the fear and conquer it by coming forward to cast a bright light on something that deserves it, not to be relegated to the shadows of that which we never speak.

I wish him nothing but future success in whatever he partakes, and continues to have daily wins over mental health and feels well.
5 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I watched much if this with tears in my eyes and wish I could have given him a hug.
garnet-suss8 September 2021
Hopefully most if you won't identify with this as much as I did. Regardless of the commonality that I have with him, this is a well eone episode and I hope many people watch it.
6 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
It was the best episode
maytekinaliyeva7 September 2021
I am not a sportsman, but I totally get him. Anxiety is a heartless b****h. I want to tear my chest and pull out my heart sometimes and it doesn't come alone it comes with severe body pain that I cannot control or sooth. Can't tell anyone except for my husband because mental illness is still some kind of make -believe thing for our society. I am so glad that he talked about it. A lot of people should do so. Not being able to show that makes it worse.
8 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Focus
juan_moran10 September 2021
If you want to be the best you have to work hard there are billions of people on the planet, be calm with what you do, and the tennis racket is not to blame for your bad performance.

Nadal is the only one who respects and never broke it.
5 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Touching on the important topic of mens mental health
elwood1877 September 2021
Sadly, in 2021, society has cast aside men's mental health in place of female-centric issues, I found the doc refreshing in that it touches on men's overall mental health. More docs and series need to touch upon this troublesome issue without including interference from women's issues.
7 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Didn't know Mardy Fish the way I did after watching this documentary
sandeepkoshy12 September 2021
It was a very eye opening documentary to the stresses in the game that everyone seems to not talk about. Glad Mardy Fish came out and talked about it. Good to know that mental health is being talked about in the sport industry from a while now. Overall a good documentary. I loved watching it.
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Breaking Point
austinc-8887814 September 2021
This film was moving and so well told. Worth the watch.
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.