Swim (2021) Poster

(I) (2021)

bottom of yesterday's barrel comes back to get you
HEFILM24 August 2021
Well, just when the Sy Fy (hate that abbreviation) channel stopped showing and funding these identical and usually terrible monster movies it seems Tubi will take up that awful baton and beat you in the head with it.

This is a real shame as Tubi is one of the best streaming services out there with a wide diverse collection of movies old and new to watch, so when they started doing their own films I had hopes, all of those dashed by this.

This "movie" is from the same folks who made them for Sy Fy, this time the budget is probably a little lower which may be why Sharknardo director Ferrante is only the writer on this one and they went with Fred Olen Ray impersonator Jared Cohen to direct. You might think I'm using this to insult him but Cohen has actually said he aspires to be Olen Ray, so I guess he's succeeded at failing and doing so as boringly as possible over and over again. This isn't even by the numbers directing as many numbers are missing, the way he shoots scenes is identical from one to the next and key things he should show you he just doesn't. Actors expressions change from shot to shot though they are supposed to happening at the same time, it's just a sloppy careless joyless lifeless thing. Forget about talent there is no skill displayed here and for as many times as Cohen has been making a movie he doesn't seem to know what to do or, even worse, was just getting pay check and rushing off to the nearest bar to try to forget it all.

Most of the blame can be laid on his door as there is never a good angle or performance in the whole thing and some of it barely cuts together, no action scene ever builds any tension or excitement and well, what's left to botch when it doesn't deliver any of that. In fairness the script is bad, kind of a let's take the cheapest scenes from Sharknado and make a whole movie around them, but the performances are just dreadful even given the warmed over leftovers from Sharknado's "serious" or "character" moments.

Ok but how are the CGI sharks? Well there's only one of them and it's better than the worst CGI sharks you've seen, but the kills are ineptly done and there aren't many of them.

Terrible sound job and music but the film doesn't deserve any better.

I think with this movie I'd have to say there are more terrible shark movies than almost any other genre. Sad boring day for tubi fans, I'm sure there is more just like this waiting to darken your life.
14 out of 15 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
You'll root for the shark
kstice-2519522 August 2021
I appreciate the content that Tubi offers for free. It is a streaming service with many quality movies that deserves more attention. As Swim is one of the first movies originally produced by Tubi, I wanted to like this movie. Unfortunately, this movie doesn't even live up to the standards of a Syfy Channel movie. The only positive comments that can be made are that the movie is fast-paced and that shark movies are always a little fun. This movie makes many mistakes that even a B horror movie shouldn't make. The list of problems in this movie include but are not limited to:

-A 55 year old actor pretending to be a 90 year old

-The lead actress keeps her mouth open for almost the entire film

-Very predictable number and order of deaths

-poor CGI and an unintimidating shark

-Painful dialogue (ex. At one point, an actor explains to the audience the purpose of a flare gun)

-Characters are either unlikeable or poorly developed

With the number of shark movies made each year, you can certainly find a better shark movie than this one. But hey, at least this film is better than Shark Exorcist (2015).
17 out of 19 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Miscasted
draftdubya1 October 2021
The mother looked way too young. The kids look like they're pushing 25.
8 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Package
heck-7092121 August 2021
What was in the package??

Why can't the mom keep her mouth closed??
15 out of 19 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Terrible
christymarie-770343 October 2021
This movie was so awful that I couldn't look away. The acting, "special effects", storyline and writing was on a level of atrocious that I have never seen in film before. I erupted in laughter at many of the attack scenes and found myself shaking my head in frustration at the reasoning of the characters. This movie is now on my list for my Bad Horror Movie Night binges. The entire thing looks like it was made on a budget of $10. It is the worst thing I've ever seen. I'm giving it 3 stars because I'm so amazed at how terrible it was, it seems more like a shark horror parody than anything else.
5 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Shark? What shark? It looks worse than a figment of the director's imagination.
John_Wagenvoort27 September 2021
Come on guys. This is simply a test of someone's dogged endurance to sit through what must be one of the worst productions I've seen in a long time. There are no spoilers as there are no highlights to reveal. The storm scenes, the treading water then in waist deep water scenes, were enough to do me in. We're at 30min in and even my remote is wanting me to turn this off. Tubi, you then give us a reprieve by going to a commercial break. Not often that one is looking forward to a commercial. Gotta go now. Let me know how it ends. Ah, no don't.
5 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Really???
davepolain6418 August 2021
A fun romp similar to other sharky things, but the amount of damage able to be inflicted by a 3 metre (10 foot) shark needs a bit of research.

Swim speed, bite radius blah blah blah.

Always fun though.
8 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Peeb_Alex22 August 2021
This movie is an insult to humans. We're better than this. The directors should have asked for help. I think an actual shark could've made a better moive. What were they thinking?? They could have just recorded a wall, and it would have been a better movie. Watch ONLY to make fun of it.
14 out of 18 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
110 v AC TV antenna
catrike24 August 2021
110 v AC TV antenna, I guess that is to electrocute pigeons that sit on the TV antenna and mess up the reception. Water level behind the door going to the basement higher than the water outside, physics just don't apply in this movie. But why should they: "The Asylum Presents" pretty much sums it up. Then the dreaded Basement Shark. And all the stupid things the characters did in the movie. But if the characters did everything right the movies would be so short they wouldn't be worth watching.
7 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Whisper so the shark don't hear you
darrenk-6121923 August 2021
The mother's acting was worst than the CGI shark, she whispered 75% of the time, the other bad acting was worst than a SYFY channel movie. Grandpa was cool... Have you ever watched a horror movie and root for the villain? Here's your chance.
13 out of 17 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
SHOCKING FISHY TALE
canuckjock19 August 2021
I was in shock watching fish eat fish. Not to mention the shockingly bad acting.
9 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Amazingly awful
padawanmovies23 August 2021
So I am very stoned rite now and I still have NO CLUE how this was ever made. The last 30 mins is definitely a treat!
10 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The chalenge is...
imdbcom-6996926 August 2021
... to find out what in this movie is not beyond ridiculous or plain stupid, from the script to "acting" to the music to camera work... everything. The stakes are high. It's a total wonder that such a putrid garbage can actually be shot, produced and sold as a movie. Makes one logically questions whether the whole thing is not just a cover up for some other lousy sharky business.
8 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
HORRIBLE
mbracco-9241619 August 2021
THIS MOVIE IS HORRIBLE. THE ACTING IS EMBARRASSING. SHARKNADO DESERVES AN ACADEMY AWARD NEXT TO THIS MOVIE. WATCH IT FOR THE LAUGHS.
11 out of 16 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Mediocre quality
roy-emerson-jr28 December 2021
Quality very similar to Asylum studios. I don't want to give anything away, but you'll see exactly what I mean. The special effects reminded me of a college audio visual club with a first timer crew making all of the creative decisions. The acting was in peaks and valleys, so don't expect much. I attribute some of that to what was poor script writing and not all the actors depth.
Bad, bad and bad
phoebebond-0335519 November 2021
Never laughed so much at a horror film in my life!

I wish that I could rate this -1000000

The tiny cartoon shark who changes colour, size and shape?!

The children who look older than the parents?!

A leg being dramatically bitten off and getting left with little tiny bite marks, I've had more blood from a paper cut?!

Trying to kill the shark with a shovel?!

Overall, it's not a horror, a 8 year old could watch this and laugh along.

The longest 2 hours of my life that I'm never getting back... all wasted.
Typical Asylum fare
Shadowking100119 October 2021
This has all the trademarks of The Asylum made movies - bad acting, ridiculous decisions, abnormal physics and bad CGI. So depending on what you are looking for, this could be a fun movie to watch, or one where you spend the entire movie commenting and screaming at the TV. Either way, having some beer close-by seems to be necessary.
At least Joey Lawrence is still HOT
metlifedirect10 October 2021
The movie is so poorly written, directed edited and miscast. I agree with another reviewer the actress that plays the mom is 39 the daughter actress is 25...it's like they started off to purposely make a Sh%^^y movie.. did I mention Joey Lawrence is still a hottie.
Garbage from the start
alcoholocaust-948525 October 2021
You can tell from the first 5 minutes it's going to be a sht movie, but in-law picked it so I'm forced to watch. The shark is done in terrible cgi. The acting is worse than a high school play. Everything is a joke. It's a wonder how this thing was ever made.
Why?
marilynlirajuly24 September 2021
This movie not only does it have horrible acting but the CGI is bad as well, I can usually do one or the other but both at the same time is hard to swallow, I want to to know why the rain was fake and why they couldn't get out of the car by unlocking it manually. It's horrible I tell ya. Not one person was likable in this movie I didn't feel bad for anyone because they're all so stupid lol where did that one actor go wrong lol I liked him in Disney movies and that one show with Melissa hart you know Sabrina the teenage witch.
Should have been better
rherring-1604027 August 2021
Dumb story.....bad special effects.....but it was the acting that really sunk this movie(the Mom in particular....she literally has the same "shocked"expression on her face the entire movie!!)I gave it 3 stars for the effort,probably more than it deserves....
5 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Look out ! A cartoon shark is coming to get you
brettgriggs-462995 September 2021
I wish I could rate it 0. Bad acting, awful script, just the worst FX, bad everything. The terrible continuity started with 1st attack the man is standing waist deep in the water but suddenly when shark comes he's swimming in like 20 feet of water.. what the.

I always wondered what happened to that guy from Blossom..
5 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Director, please stop directing
ayannawilliams-358458 October 2021
Terrible movie, acting is horrifying this is truly a horror movie. The CGI is even worse, somehow it made me want the sharks to eat everyone. Everyone who worked on this film should get fired and never work on anything again. All the actors need to go back to acting school, and do something better. The logic is terrible, and makes you wonder if an elementary schooler wrote this, even a middle schooler has better logic than this. My mood has gone down, I've aged faster, and I've never wanted to punch a TV harder in my life. Yet, this trash was entertaining enough, it made me laugh harder than ever. If you want to laugh, watch this movie,
3 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Good idea, but badly executed
mgentalen9 September 2021
Super simple premise to this. Family heads to beach vacation property rental. A large storm suddenly starts, and somehow, a family of sharks end up in the basement.

The acting is like expired milk. The actor who plays grandpa, is obviously isn't old enough, and takes long pauses just to say a single line.

The script is too generic, too formulaic. How was " Jaws", which was so revolutionary for it's time, that shark looked like a masterpiece compared to this shark in " Swim."

Fun to watch if you have nothing better to watch.
4 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A Sharky Hand-Held Feeling All Throughout
jmbowman1 September 2021
Shaky. A shaky hand-held feeling thoughout the movie. You may get a little motion sickness, but take some Dramamine and this movie is not a bad effort. The cast has given an earnest attempt to bring to life what is best summed up as a early-draft script. "Swim" is a fun movie with obvious but forgivable directing, sound, and lighting flaws.

5/10 stars because you could flip a coin on whether to watch this or not and be happy either way.

Personally, I couldn't tell if it is the clunky dialog or oddly "near" voice/dialog levels was more distracting. It's still a fun movie.
4 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.