Pawn Stars (TV Series 2009– ) Poster

(2009– )

Chumlee isn't funny
jontyboy3458 August 2014
Been a fan of the show since the first series. Corey and Rick seem good guys and good luck to them. I don't understand why Chumlee is some kind of hero in America. He isn't funny- and he pretends to be dumb like Paris Hilton (albeit with slightly more facial hair) but spoils the show. Would be better if Chum went- Rick and Corey would do the selling and the Old Man would complain in-between. Chum, the scripted story and constant laughing at stuff that isn't funny are the downsides to the show. Would be much better if the staff didn't pretend they were working and produced a show where they come out of the back for great items only...we know they don't work on the shop floor off camera and it's insulting that they still carry on the pretense after all these years. I have been to the shop - very poor touristy style attraction...not a pawn shop as such. Just cashing in on the T-Shirts and other low quality merchandise. Don't go to Vegas just to visit there - you'll regret it.
11 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Painfully fake
emmi-blad27 June 2014
I was interested at first, but as I learned that the show is fake and uses actors and items that are from museums, I was set back. Also REAL customers have widely reported that the main characters are usually not there and show up only when the show's been shot.

For me, I am interested to see old items and learn their history, but this show is an anticlimax fest where almost non of the items are real or valuable or even rare. And using items from museums and private collections, it's just pathetic.

I don't like their attitudes and the show is overall sort of vaguely interesting, but its fakeness makes it difficult to watch.
68 out of 83 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
unwatchable now
CBeahan30 January 2014
Too many produced BITS/SKITS...we've seen Chum driving in his valuable sports cars in REAL life and know he makes a lot of money. Yet they send him to financial help guys etc....equals TIME FILLER Too many of the people "customers" coming into the store are now repeat/regulars. It was bad enough when they tried to pass off the American Restoration guy as just a customer. But then that shows customers became Pawn Stars customers. Casting is lacking in Vegas.

It all tells me the show has run it's course and has nothing left in the tanks. Most things they don't even buy anymore...if they ever bought the items anyways.

I still watch the show, well record it on the DVR...But 60% of the show is now fast forwarded through.

If you want to watch this show...JUST watch the first few years of it NOT the current or new ones.
34 out of 43 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Highly entertaining show
tradermike6726 November 2009
To comment on classicalsteve from Oakland, CA's post. The most important point was, as with ANY business situation. : Do your homework on current market values! I don't think in the case of Pawn stars that these guys necessarily make an offer based on what YOU think you should get for it, but rather, what they think or know they can get for the item. No different than any other wholesale to retail business.

Although there are similarities to antique roadshow, these guys are offering INSTANT CASH in most cases. When they are unsure of an items value, they bring in experts in their field, and they do it while the customer is there. It is funny when the expert says an item is worth 3000 retail and then the customer expects 3000. As Rick says over and over, I can't stay in business paying retail.

As to Steve's comments on collectibles; I don't think they are making 10x what an item is worth. Anyone that stupid to sell so cheaply deserves to get hammered in my opinion. If you are a collector, then you should be doing your own homework on channels to sell through, and there are plenty of them. If you feel your best option is to sell to a pawn broker, then what would you be expecting? Steve, I'd like to know in your opinion, what exactly the value of "culture" is, as you state in your post. They are pawn brokers. That's what the show is about. Your post suggests that the SELLERS of the items are not interested in the money, which is clearly not the case. Every single person is most interested in what they can get for their item. And I also don't agree with your assessment of "the poor seller at their mercy due to lack of knowledge." Knowledge is something that can be acquired, and sellers should obviously have acquired some concerning their items value before entering the arena of buying and selling. Also how could they tell the buyer what they intend to resell the item for when they really never KNOW what they're going to get. Market forces are constantly at work. Personally I think you paint a picture here that these guys are crooks, when in reality, this is business as usual. Buy low, sell high. You are clearly not a businessman. The interaction between the characters is highly entertaining, and somewhat informative as well.

Mike
50 out of 70 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Jumping the shark?
venitianfun26 May 2014
I still enjoy the show but see signs of it maybe running out of gas. Too many obviously scripted situations attempting to be cute and funny. Chum getting a more serious role in the show which he really doesn't seem to be cut out for, especially when he starts rattling off facts concerning whatever a customer is trying to sell or pawn. I realize that it is a TV show and that you can't film a typical day in the pawn shop without boring the viewers to death. The customers are hand picked and Rick and the rest are schooled on the facts and history of whatever item is being featured. All that is still interesting to me and the main reason I watch the show. I guess the problem I have is having to sit through all of the "situations" the staff of the shop has to deal with over the course of an episode. Situations which I find not to be interesting or amusing. Like I said before however, I still watch the show, just not as often as I used to and usually if nothing else is on.
5 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
why
cuzz-1238218 July 2018
Why are you idiots stil watching this rubbish.....all fake paid by a media company

let's be honest if you got spoken to the way they speak to people something nasty would happen.......... I never meant to rate this 1 star I you take them away if I could
12 out of 16 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Very interesting and entertaining show
johnmcneilva1 December 2009
I have just recently gotten into Pawn Stars and I find it to be a great mix of entertainment and history lessons. The main draw for me is the simple give and take that goes on between the Pawn Store operators and the people who bring items in looking to make quick money. Clearly the biggest draw for this show is Rick, the pawn store owner. Although his dad (the old man) and his son (big hoss) are big parts of the show, it is Rick who makes this show interesting and worthwhile. I don't think that Hollywood could have scripted someone who could make a pawn store owner a truly likable and complex individual. Rick manages to show interest and respect to every person who brings in something for sale while managing to explain his position in understandable terms. The bottom line is that a pawn shop is a place for people in need of quick cash to sell just about anything, just at bargain basement prices. If someone wants to get maximum money for their goods they would have to do market research, team up with a reputable auction house, or go on ebay and roll the dice that someone may make a high enough bid. Otherwise, you can go for the easy money of a pawn shop (albeit much less money.)

A couple of final notes about the characters on the show, as I stated earlier Rick is far and away the star of the show and he is really what makes it watchable. His father doesn't contribute a whole lot other than some standard old man talk. His son (Big Hoss) is pretty much a waste of space and contributes nothing to the show unless you like to watch a very (very) large person walking around in Ed Hardy jeans acting like some kind of tough guy. He is a very simple person, clearly having missed many of the complexities of human nature possessed by his father. Finally, Chumlee is one of the most enjoyable characters ever to grace television, the large man-child with a good heart and a simple mind. All in all I would definitely recommend watching this show to anyone.
44 out of 71 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
was ok
haroldhecuba28 February 2019
Finding it becoming irritating as they all seem to be getting more arrogant each episode especially rick whose demeanour is increasingly overbearing & terse towards customers.Then there's big loss,the knob polisher look it up, who looks & speaks down through his nose at everyone,next is chum,one explanation for the vacant looks & jaw dropping bad acting is the headful of bong water & froot loops
10 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
wtf
volpato-lorenzo25 February 2016
Why this show is on History channel?! I just see poor people trying to earn a few dollars and four fat men that kid on them , treating 'em as idiots. I understand that , with show like these, the channel have not to pay for professional actors and screenwriters............but...why this awful and useless show is considered something to be aired on History channel? But the thing i really do not understand is how a normal-minded person can watch at those barrels of grease, at this stupid ,idiot and useless show.I'm Italian and I pay monthly a lot of money to see History channel,and in 2007 this channel did send history documentaries. Today It's all about people that try to earn money with old stuff,people that make money offers to buy a stock of objects set in a storage room,people trying to find some treasure in some place.There's not history, nothing about the things that an History-addicted can find useful. History channel should just change its name.
10 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Get Rid of Chumlee.
arcon-2256121 February 2016
When it started, Pawn Stars was a really good show. People would bring in unusual items and a brief history of them would be told and Rick and the seller would dicker on the price. Sometimes, he would bring in an expert and we learned a lot more about the objects.

Does it really matter whether many of these objects are from museums and private collections? I don't care where they came from because it is the story behind them that is interesting, or would you rather the customers bring in stuff like what is really pawned in a pawn shop? The show was interspersed with short segments about the characters, and Chumlee was a likable guy - a lot of it, I suppose, might be sympathy because he was always bumbling and getting everything sort of wrong and was the butt of many jokes. He became the real Pawn Star. Now the banter between the stars is taking up more of the show and is becoming annoying and Chumlee has become unlikable.

For some reason, over the last couple of seasons, he has turned into a really obnoxious, rude, ignorant slob who tries to get as much time off as he can, even lying to his bosses to get it, and does as little work as possible. He has no work ethic and kids shouldn't be allowed to watch the show because they are seeing that what he does is acceptable at work.

He has absolutely no respect for his boss, being rude to him and not doing the jobs he has been assigned, and he is always telling Rick how he should run his shop. He also keeps Antoine from doing his job by getting him to help in some idiotic project of his.

The show is obviously scripted - if it were reality, Chumlee would be out the door on his ass faster than the boss can say "You're Fired". The writers portray Rick as a totally incompetent manager because he lets Chumlee get away with it. The only logical reason Rick doesn't lay down the law or can him is Chumlee must have some real dirt on Rick.

He has become so obnoxious that he is nauseating - that bit near the end of the show where he is dressed like Liberace just about made me vomit- whatever writer came up with that has no sense of what is and isn't funny whatsoever. That show didn't jump the shark, it jumped a whole pod of whales!! I am not the only one sick of Chumlee's new personality - check out the reviews on TV.com and see how many want him canned and have quit watching because of what he has become. I still like the objects and watch it, but I have joined those members who now tape the show and fast-forward whenever he appears.

The producers also have a double standard here - they fire a girl, Olivia, because she posed for nude photos that were posted on a website, but they don't get rid of a guy who gets busted for possession and gets involved in a street brawl (there go all those millions! I hope the guy sues). What ever happened to the "Morals Clause" in contracts? He was arrested with 7 POUNDS of marijuana - "for his own use" - and if you believe that, Pawn Stars is the most "True to Life" show ever aired. The way the show is going, I think he must be sharing his stash with the writers If he isn't off the show or his character reformed, and more time spent on objects than the "Family Feud", the show's ratings will do nothing but go lower. I think Too much damage has been done to revive it Explaining his disappearance from the show would be quite easy. He gets fired, goes to jail, killed in a motorcycle accident, or is shooting an old gun and it blows up killing him.
7 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Who thought watching a pawn shop could be interesting?
mysticnox23 February 2010
Hubby and I were looking for something on one night (lets face it, 500 channels and mostly nothing of worth on to watch) so we switched to this show out of boredom.

Honestly, its fascinating.

I LOVE this show.

The interaction between the owners and the workers is great to watch. Last night gave me a total laugh when the father said his son was too busy to ride the balloon and Chum was too stupid (and btw, he is. I swear the guys nearly mentally retarded, just not quite which only makes him stupid).

And the items that these guys pick up are just incredible. I'd LOVE to visit this store just once. They must have a treasure trove of museum quality items.

If I'm ever in Vegas, I'm heading to this shop.
30 out of 51 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Though I detest reality shows such as "Survivor" and its ilk I like the one's depicting people doing their job.
Aaron137520 December 2010
I like reality shows about interesting people going about their daily routine especially when it too is interesting. This show revolves around a pawn shop in Las Vegas and there are apparently a lot of strange things that happen there so there are going to be some interesting things for people to want to sell. So we get to see during each episode some interesting stuff people bring in, some rare stuff, and some just plain strange things. You also get to see people haggle over price, people getting mad when they are told their stuff is not worth all that much money, and people get really happy as they find their stuff is worth a fortune. The show centers around a dad, his father and the son. It also has a guy called Chumlee who I just can not believe he is as stupid as he appears to be. All the guys are interesting, it is fun to watch when one of them buys something not worth anything and then the others pounce. The show is humorous to go along with seeing all the interesting things people bring in. Things that people have sold on the show include very rare coins, hot air balloons, numerous cars and a whole bunch of other stuff. Things they have not bought include a car that was obvious crap that the guy who was trying to sell it got ticked off when Rick (the dad) backed off after a person with mechanical experience looked at it. All in all a fun show to watch.
15 out of 23 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Good Lord...
Analog_Devotee20 June 2021
Literally the worst show on television. This show single-handedly derailed the greatness that was the History Channel. Garbage churned out for braindead idiots.
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Great show, getting long in the tooth
roadrunner77719 July 2013
I thought this show was an inspired mix of Orange County Choppers and Antique Roadshow. That's a bit like mixing beer and milk, but it works.

I Tivo it... near the top of my list actually. But, it is getting stale.

I have a little pet peeve I work around with the fast forward button, and that is any scene with Chumbutt. It kind of gets to me when someone purposely acts stupid and annoying just for the attention. I mean, more power to him getting rich with this schtick. He is clearly stoned and/or drunk in many scenes. Drooping eyebrows, messed up hair, slurred speech.

And you had better believe this is a scripted show. Rick is the only one that can read from a script in a believable way. But, it has to be that way, you can't have a crew sitting around waiting all day for an interesting scene.

I do like the beard of knowledge. I would love to see someone pump something fresh into the show. I'd love to see more outside the shop stuff, like the episode where they did the bar trivia challenge. I'm still watching, fast forwarding around chumplee and I hope they find a way to keep it on the air a few more years.
5 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The first few seasons were entertaining but the show has gone downhill since.
ranseglorome8 March 2014
The first few seasons of this show weren't bad. The majority of the show revolved around the items brought into the shop. Sure, there were some annoying side-scripts involving the different cast members (e.g. Chumlee acting foolish or the old man falling asleep) but it wasn't the focus and thus didn't detract from the show too much.

Fast forward to the last year or two. The show has devolved into something borderline unwatchable. The "annoying side-scrips" are now the focus of the show. The acting is so incredibly obvious that it makes you feel foolish for even watching.

I'm not sure why the folks at the History channel feel the need to throw in all this scripted garbage. The original formula (the one that made the show so popular in the first place) allowed the show to practically write itself.

Anyway, if you're just getting into the show, my recommendation would be to check out all the older episodes. There are a lot of really cool items and facts with only a limited amount of nonsense.
10 out of 15 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
This show sucks
ctmur21 December 2011
Talk about a pack of thieves. At first I didn't think this show was bad at all. But the more I watched it the more it really turned my stomach. First off is the way they just like to get over on people that come into their store. And then the bald headed one tells you right up that he doesn't like to ever give anyone what they want. And talking about the bald headed one and his sick laugh. He sounds like that dog that was in cartoons years ago. Mutley, I think was his name. Then you've got the old man who doesn't add a thing to the show but being a real asshole. Then there's what they call big hoss but should be called big hog. He's one who really shows a personality that reminds you of something that someone forgot to flush. And then there's Chumley, you talk about one huge fat bag of pue laziness. You talk about one good for absolutely nothing. He's got to be the most useless employee. And then to top it all off, you've got the whole pack of inbred white trash that just love to get over on people. I'd like to see these lowlifes handle some of Les Gold's customers. The customers from Hardcore Pawn would have this bunch all crying like a pack of sissies hiding in the back. This is one show that needs to be cancelled. I've heard stories that an underlying truth is that Corey and Chemlee are boyfriends and that's the real reason that they keep Chumlee's lazy ass on at the store. They are a pack of thieves.
29 out of 54 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
chumlee wrecks the show
ababatty12 February 2019
This staged show has gotten horrible. how can chumlee be the fan favorite? my god. he is sooooo coached and he cant hide it. totally annoying. . knowing rick walks through a warehouse of items pre show and the fact that the deals are made beforehand makes this show ridiculous to me now. phony phony phony. too american. stopped watching
9 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I mean...
13Funbags4 May 2017
This show is an intelligence insulting waste of time.While it has gotten faker and worse over the years it was always fake garbage.Everything Chumlee ever said was scripted and stupid.No business in the world would employ a fool like that.One time the old man went out side and there was a Mexican who looked exactly like Chum and they never even mentioned him.They even had the nerve to say that they have been taking cars to Danny forever when they didn't even go there in the first two seasons.They took all their cars to a place called Wally's Rusty Nuts.Apparently Wally wasn't a freak show who was willing to make a fool of himself to be on TV, so they had to find someone else.As time progressed it went from just mostly fake to being 100% scripted with a cold open to set up the pathetic story.The worst part is the fat egghead owner who's always wheezing and saying "I mean".To him "I mean" is a complete sentence and it proves he's an idiot who would be homeless if his dad wasn't rich.This is another show that should never be seen.
9 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
India IS in Asia, you bald-headed dope!
CherryBlossomBoy4 October 2011
This show has been annoying me for some time. Yes, I know I'm supposed to change the channel if I don't like something, but everybody's got his pet hate and this is a show I like to hate.

Basically a bunch of overweight thugs running an antique shop trying to rip off their clients. The clients by all means deserve being ripped off, majority of them being so obviously dim. This is not what annoys me, this is what actually sometimes makes it interesting to watch.

What does annoy the hell out of me is the fact that this show is aired on History Channel. History Channel not so long ago used to be about history. Nowadays it's littered with fake-reality shows such as "Ice Road Truckers" and "Ax Men" or sensationalistic crap like "Conspiracy?" and "UFO Hunters". And they still have the audacity to market these shows as "history being made every day". Oh, hilarity! None of these shows has anything to do with history! If the problem is lack of audience for true history documentaries, then I'd rather they close the channel down than to continue with this nonsense. Besides, majority of these reality shows are so bad (uninformative, boring or misleading) that the likes of NGC and Discovery wouldn't even touch them.

Anyway, back to "Pawn Stars". I was trying to find the angle from which to crap on this piece of entertainment. I was going to say it's boring. It isn't. I was going to say it's more style than substance. It is, indeed, but so are plenty of other shows. I was going to say it doesn't belong to History Channel. Nothing new.

Luckily, the middle Harrison, the bald headed guy, helped me here by referring to a piece of antiquity that was brought into the store: "it's not from Asia, it's more likely from India". I do hope he reads this article, or at least its title. That amount of ignorance indeed prompts this viewer to change the proverbial channel.
12 out of 20 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
It's history and educational!
pale320824 May 2010
Love it! Basically, it's entertaining, but my family always learns something. Regarding the comments about motive, everyone and anyone on the show is in it for a buck, including those selling items. As for what's on the show and it being hand-picked. Of course it is. No, we don't want to see the everyday stuff. It's the History Channel for goodness sake. We want to learn, to see unique items -- items we might not otherwise know about or experience. Loved the stamp as currency. Who knew!! That's what it's all about. The audience wants to soak up history! Just enjoy the show for what it is. Love all the characters, too, esp. Chum and Rick. If I ever make it to Vegas, the pawn shop is on my list of must-sees! A
15 out of 27 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Scumbags
juliocharon-7319927 June 2019
These owners and employees are thieves and rotten people. People come in to seek funds for whatever reason and they Rob people and then sell it for triple. Thieves don't deserve a show.
10 out of 17 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Such a poor show
matthewtessnear17 April 2019
I can't believe the Harrisons approved the show to begin with-because it paints the family in such a poor light. They come across as just jerks who want to make a big profit. The show is nothing like the actual store, which I've visited in Vegas. The more I watched this show, the less I liked it. What a sham.
5 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Very cool and interesting show
zizumia29 October 2012
I personally love this show, it is interesting, there is cool facts, and unlike other pawn shows I have seen, these people are not really trying to rip people off. I like how they bring in experts to tell what the piece is and give a price. This shows me that they are not there to rip the person off. It is also interesting to learn the history of the items, for most of the items have historical background. Although they do have great things, I find it funny how much they advertise their sponsors within their show. Like they always have Subway and they explain in great detail what is contained within their sandwiches and why it is so good. Makes me laugh every time.

Very enjoyable show, I highly recommend it.
7 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Exciting, fun and informative with a great cast!
EdgarByron21 July 2010
PAWN STARS is one of my favorite shows. Many factors contribute to the show's success, including the fact that it's based in Las Vegas. The name "Pawn Stars" is truly inspired. I'd love to know who came up with it.

The show revolves around the activities of a real pawn shop, Gold & Silver Pawn. Drive down Las Vegas Blvd toward the downtown area and after you pass the Stratosphere you'll eventually see it on the right side. Due to the popularity of the show, you may find it difficult to find a place to park. Once you do park you'll have to stand in line to get in if you're just a tourist (but the guard will let you through if you've got something to pawn or you're redeeming an item already pawned). The truth is that the shop is very small, but the family is working on enlarging it.

Anyway, let me address some of the previous comments. Every time I've visited the shop the entire family was there but obviously they must leave to tape the segments that take place at other locations.

And yes, the segments involving high ticket items involve some pre-arranging. The camera crews aren't going to stand around all day waiting for a rare item to be brought in.

Most importantly, there is a total misconception and lack of understanding about the fact that the place "rips off" everyone.

Let's say you walk in with a rare Tuba that you believe was played in Sousa's famous band around the turn of the century. People bring in items that they assume are authentic because their grandfather told them it was. Very often it turns out their grandfather lied.

The bottom line is that 99% of the sellers have no authentication or documentation to back up their item. This immediately makes your item worth a fraction of what a documented item would be worth. Buying something without any supporting documentation puts the entire risk on the pawn shop. If it turns out to be phony (or stolen), they lose all the money they paid you for it. A company can only take a big risk if there is a potential for a big reward. As you've seen on the show, they get burned occasionally, too.

This brings us to the various experts -- my favorite part of the show. At best, these experts can only state that they THINK an item is authentic. They will usually say something like "It might bring $5000 at auction." You'll notice, however, that they never give anyone a written appraisal. It's just a blue sky number which you as an individual would have almost zero chance of getting. Here's why...

Speciality auctions for rare items occur very infrequently due to the time involved in getting enough items, promoting the auction to potential buyers, finding an appropriate location for the auction, getting items shipped to them, preparing and printing catalogs, etc.

But you don't KNOW anything, remember? That's why you're standing in a pawn shop with a blank look on your face. If you knew some Tuba collectors, knew about auction houses, wanted to pay for a costly appraisal, were willing to wait months or years for a rare musical instrument auction... well, you MAY be able to sell it yourself.

The other problem that the collectors and auction houses don't know YOU -- and they'd be very unlikely to accept a unauthenticated piece from an unknown seller. It's a closed loop and you're not in it. And even if you are lucky enough to get your Tuba into an auction, it might sell for $500, not $5000. That's how auctions work. Big risk.

So now the Pawn Stars ask you how much you want for your allegedly rare Tuba. You of course say $5000 because that's the number you heard from the expert. But that's just a fantasy number a collector might pay in a highly specialized auction that may never take place. The risk is all on the Pawn Stars to sell the item and make a PROFIT.

The guys might get lucky and quickly find a collector who will buy it, or they might never find a buyer. The shop takes a big risk and must have a chance of making a big profit, knowing that it still might be a fake. They also factor in whether that type of item is currently in demand or not and if they personally know potential buyers.

That's why they are going to offer you a much lower amount than $5000. It's a business, folks. If you don't like their offer you can just thank them and leave. But you need cash now, right? Take the money!

Then go to the casinos and get rich at blackjack or slot machines!

I'd just like to add that I would have rated this show a 10 but it has no hot-looking babes in it! Hey, it's Vegas, guys. Where's the cleavage?
15 out of 29 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Obesity
kevinfetes7 June 2021
Why is everyone in the family obese? 1000s of guns but not one vegetable at dinner?
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.