Straight Outta Nowhere: Scooby-Doo! Meets Courage the Cowardly Dog (Video 2021) Poster

The crossover I needed ever since my childhood!
daviddevilliers5414 September 2021
I grew up with both Scooby-Doo and Courage the Cowardly Dog. Both were my favourite shows as a kid and even now as an adult, I still love to rewatch them. I remember seeing a promo on CN about Scooby-Doo and Courage having a possible crossover and I was so excited, but alas, it never truly happened. It was just a marathon of the original shows. I was still hoping, deep down, that they'd eventually crossover and when I finally saw that trailer, I cried tears of joy.

This is the one crossover that actually makes sense! Both series are about a cowardly canine who has to deal with monsters and horrors. So now that I've finally seen it, I can safely say that my long wait for a crossover between Scooby-Doo and Courage has finally been worth it. This crossover had almost everything! I'm going to keep this as spoiler-free as possible, because I want people to enjoy this for themselves!

One major difference between both shows is that while Courage actually has to deal with real monsters, Scooby-Doo, Shaggy and the gang mostly deal with monsters who turn out to be fake. Also, judging by how they debunked everything in the past movies that established real monsters in Scooby-Doo, I was VERY worried about them debunking everything that happened in Courage the Cowardly Dog. I can't believe they're actually learning from their mistakes! Somehow, they managed to respect both franchises. We got a good classic Scooby-Doo mystery that is set in the nightmare fuel surreal world of Courage the Cowardly Dog.

Everyone is perfectly in character, especially the cast of Courage the Cowardly Dog. It's like he never left us. Also, RIP to Thea White, who voices Muriel here one last time before passing away. Jeff Bergman voices Eustace very well. The way they interact with Mystery Inc flows so naturally well. That climax is also very cinematic and is definitely something I WOULD see in a Courage the Cowardly Dog movie.

The twist on who's the culprit is also really awesome! There's also a LOT of Easter Eggs to Courage the Cowardly Dog so keep an eye out!

I only have a few nitpicks here and there. One is that I wish it could've been a little scarier. One thing many people remember from Courage the Cowardly Dog is how traumatizing it was with all the nightmare fuel. However, since Scooby-Doo is more lighthearted, the balance is still forgivable. The next are just a few jokes that don't land but other than that, really good movie!

I highly recommend this to anybody who's a fan of both series!
26 out of 29 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
BEST CROSSOVER EVER
mannysimonson14 September 2021
I was excited when I saw the trailer for this movie. My sister introduced Courage the Cowardly Dog to me when I was young. And I was hooked to the show. And when I finished watching the movie this morning on my phone, it was amazing! Especially all the references to the original Courage the Cowardly Dog tv series. This crossover was genius, and I'm glad we see Courage return! And R. I. P. Thea White. Voice of Muriel Bagge. This was her last voice acting roll and she will be missed. And Jeff Bergman did a really great job on voicing Eustace Bagge. He so got his character. Still this was the best crossover ever and I'm sure you all reading this will love it as well!
21 out of 26 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Disappointed
amitchell-9445316 September 2021
When I heard that they were making a crossover between Scooby Doo and Courage the Cowardly Dog I got really excited because they were too great shows that I loved watching as a kid. I love that they kept all the characters and animation the same as I remember but the movie itself just didn't make sense to me. I felt like it was all over the place and it's definitely not what I remember watching as a kid on the shows separately. Even though I thought it was a great idea to have a crossover for both shows and I love that they involved a lot of the characters and the two main villains of Courage the Cowardly Dog, I just wish that the mystery was different.
17 out of 24 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Thank you for bringing my childhood memories back!
muqeetimran14 September 2021
This is the best thing I have watched after a very long time. Seeing two of my favorite characters Scooby and Courage together was something I always wished for in my childhood which is now fulfilled and I am very happy about it. Moreover thank god the animation was giving full classical Vybz which was the best thing about this movie. It was not like the new cringey animation used nowadays.
8 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Horrible...
Toire17 September 2021
I usually love straight to video Scooby titles, even most of the crossovers. I liked the Courage cartoon. But this was not good. The art was bad. It was one continuous, bad-gag, chase scene with little that made Scooby & Courage good shows.
10 out of 16 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
THE WORLD'S BEST CROSSOVER TO EVER EXIST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
bandbren14 September 2021
THIS MOVIE IS AWESOME, I LOVE IT!!!!!!!! THIS MOVIE TOTALLY DESERVES AN OSCAR!!!!!!!
10 out of 17 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Very Nostalgic
kenzibit24 September 2021
Weak plot but lost of nostalgia for those of us who grew up watching these characters on TV.
5 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
About As Great A Crossover Can Get.
NGinAndTonic15 September 2021
Scooby Doo and Courage The Cowardly Dog? Sign me up for that.

A crossover I've been wanting to see forever, and it's finally here to great effect. Despite having the Scooby Doo characters being front and center; the whole movie takes place within the Courage "universe", so the monsters that get flattened and bleed? Really get flattened and bleed, so it's kinda like Zombie Island just... Less real??

Despite both having similar ways of doing things - dealing with supernatural creatures and monster - each one has a very unique feeling and aesthetic, which Warner Bros combined excellently. Courage's cartoonish yells that cause his body to fall to pieces? That's used here on both him and Scooby, and it works brilliantly.

My only real gripe is that Courage says very little. I remember him speaking fluent sentences; so when he said "Me too!" During the halfway point, I legitimately gasped. Hopefully that improves past this point. Yes, I'm reviewing it without seeing it in its entirety, sue me.

Overall, it is about as stupid an idea like this can get and in a very good way. Definitely not something to watch, unless you're a diehard fan of one - or even both - of them; which I luckily am.

Thank you for your performance, Thea White. We'll miss your work as Muriel.

"Scooby Doo, Where Are You!?" "The things I do for love...!"

Edit: So, Courage finally spoke more afterwards. He even dropped his famous catchphrase, which I would've thrown a hissy fit over if he didn't. So... Redeemed.
6 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Respects both worlds
luisruiz-1269717 September 2021
This movie far exceeded my expectations! First of the animation is gorgeous they did an excellent job combining both animation styles and making them work despite being so different. I absolutely loved how Scooby and Courage got along in the movie. In the original show Courage is usually treated poorly by everyone except Muriel so it was so heart warming to see the gang and Scooby be so kind to Courage. It also makes sense since the Scooby gang have always been genuinely kind.

When it comes to the mystery the movie did an excellent job of making it feel creepy like how Courage usually is yet fun and family friendly like Scooby. I also appreciated how the explanation was more scientific and a bit sci fi so as to respect Scooby's non-supernatural world yet embrace Courage's weirdness and how some things just don't have an explanation. To me that was GENIUS! It truly respected both franchises and you can see how much love and care was poured into this movie.

I recommend this 100% easily a 10/10 and in my top 5 favorite Scooby movies!
4 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Disappointed
robinsonaustin-0749014 September 2021
I loved Courage growing up so was excited to learn the show was teaming up with the Scooby-Doo gang since it made sense. Both shows have a cowardly dog and do spooky stuff, so you'd have yourself the perfect crossover.

When I found out that Dilworth was not on the project, it made me slightly worried because it felt wrong to not have his vision. But I thought it could work as long as they are able to meld both worlds together.

The film is good...but not perfect. The script for the film could have gone through a few more rewrites and proofreading to make the two franchises flow better. It doesn't really help that there is now modern technology that served as kind of a tonal whiplash.

The animation is fine. Considering how Nowhere is literally off the map and to itself, the original characters from the show and new denizens are drawn to reflect the weirdness of the town whereas the Mystery Gang is drawn in the same fashion they always are to contrast the more cartoony characters of Nowhere.

But I felt that the film failed to truly take advantage of the concept of two cowardly dogs being in the same film and the overall mystery felt lacking.
11 out of 23 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A Grand Crossover That Gets It Right
jeremycrimsonfox17 September 2021
Scooby Doo is no stranger when it comes to crossovers. From The New Scooby Doo Movies to Scooby Doo and Guess Who?, the Great Dane and his pals that make up Mystery Inc. Have a long history of teaming with famous celebrities and fictional characters. Be it the dynamic duo of Batman and Robin, or the other duo of Blue Falcon and Dynomutt, Dog Wonder, Mystery Inc. Has met a lot of famous faces. But Straight Out Of Nowhere: Scooby-Doo Meets Courage The Cowardly Dog is a grand event, as Scooby-Doo teams up with Cartoon Network's other dog that deals with monsters and the supernatural. And while the two have appeared together before in many Cartoon Network bumpers (some of them done for a Halloween marathon back in 2000), this movie marks the first (and possibly only) time the two have teamed up for an actual movie.

The plot for this movie is after busting a scary clown robbing a bank, Scooby hears something putting him into a trance while Velma is explaining the motives of the villain. As Mystery Inc gives chase, Scooby heads into the middle of nowhere, which places him in from of the Bagge residence, where Courage hears the same noise, and explaining it Eustace, is scared out of the house when the farmer uses the mask to scare him as usual. The two become fast friends, and Mystery Inc arrives just as they are almost attacked by giant cicadas. Now, Mystery Inc teams with Courage and his family to solve this mystery in a place where creepy stuff happens at a daily basis.

This is an awesome movie. Marty Grabstein and Thea White to reprise their roles as Courage and Muriel Bagge (the latter being the last time we will hear her, as Thea passed away before the film's release). Eustace is voiced by Jeff Bergman, who has voiced the character in Cartoon Network promos. Immediately, this adds some authenticity to the movie, and Jeff does a good job voicing Eustace (who has had a long history of VAs who have long passed), and the characters are still as we remember them (Eustace being a grump who is mean to Courage and hates visitors, and Muriel being the kinder Bagge who is not afraid to scold or even punish her husband when he scares or mistreats Courage).

Now, the main thing I was worried about when I saw the trailer was how this going to be done. As we all know, Scooby-Doo's DTV continuity has been changed a lot to take it back to the franchise's roots of teenage sleuths and their dog busting crooks dressing up as various monsters to cover their tracks. Courage The Cowardly Dog is a different breed, as it has Courage dealing with real supernatural threats to protect Muriel (and Eustace, although he ends up getting the worst of the ordeal at the end of the episode). As a result, I was afraid Warner Bros. Could pull something like in Curse of The 13th Ghost and Return To Zombie Island and call the events fake. But thanfully, not so. Courage can still do cartoon shapeshifting when explaining monsters. In fact, this movie delve deep into the lore of Courage and reveals why Courage keeps facing these weird monsters. That way, the movie respects what Courage the Cowardly Dog's lore and even expands upon it.

Other than that, this series has some good songs, and is even full of cameos from Courage's rogues gallery (with the opening credits even giving cameos to the various Scooby villains as well). This movie, in my book, goes down as one of the greatest crossovers of the year, if not of all time, as it is a good example of how to respect continuity, and a good tribute to the life and career of the late Thea White.
5 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Same Old Scooby-Doo Vibes
sackeydona19 September 2021
Nothing out of the ordinary. It's just Scooby-Doo and Shaggy having fun as usual.
3 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Best Scooby-Doo movie of the year and a great return to Courage!
RickTheThird16 September 2021
I was waiting so much about their interactions, but i was afraid of the results because of all the new animations that Scooby-Doo was receiving.... But this surprised me!

The narrative is more based in the Courage with all the cartoonish aspects and really good jokes. All their scenes together make me smile since the beginning because they connect these two universes in a natural way.

I don't like one or two scenes, but it's fine, it's the best Scooby-Doo movie from this year and a great back from Courage.

GIVE ME MORE!
3 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
So disapoonting
mmskopje21 September 2021
I was expecting much more than this, whatever it was...
2 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Finally a fresh Scooby-Doo movie that is really worth it.
Winter_Stardust13 October 2021
Considering the wave of newer animated Scooby-Doo movies that have fallen flat (seriously, 90% of when they meet Elvira in Happy Halloween Scooby-Doo takes place with the characters talking while driving) it's so nice to see Scooby-Doo Meets Courage getting the formula right.

The voice cast is top notch, props to getting the originals back from Courage (RIP Thea White, you were wonderful as Muriel) and the majority of the Mystery Inc cast returning (Thank Goodness for Matthew Lillard!).

The story neatly fits these two worlds together, with Courage often paired with Shaggy and Scooby, and seeing Muriel with the Gang and her motherly personality fits right in with them. Eustace is his usual grumpy self and surprisingly works well when paired with Shaggy and Scoob for a while.

The sets are a treat, with plenty of nods to classic Courage villains throughout, along with music from the show. A few Scooby villains get some nice nods as well.

There's some great jokes (including a very funny song that references the title), a brilliant reference to Young Frankenstein, and the ending wraps up in a nice treat. All in all highly recommended, and it's a great way to introduce new viewers to the world of Courage (I recommend getting the box set of the Courage series, it's worth it).
If you like Scooby and Courage, you'll enjoy this
gThorns4 October 2021
The movie does justice to both of Scooby and Courage and it is thoroughly entertaining.

The interactions are credible, funny and even character developing.

The story has some unexpected twists and turns and even moments where you wonder "what are they supposed to do now".

It has something for everyone.
Great movie
Sandra-durand8029 September 2021
What a great and fun movie! My family and I enjoyed it very much! What a wonderful idea to put Scooby Doo and Courage in one animation. It was awesome!
Out of Nowhere enjoyable
LadyDerpyCritic21 September 2021
I was very hyped for this movie and I definitely expected it to be good. It was a fun, entertaining film. A Courage and Scooby crossover was actually a creative idea and their biggest one so far. The film's animation was very impressive, seeing that Courage's world was darker and brighter than the series of Courage (Though, the original had more atmosphere to the tone of the show). With Scooby's animation here blending with it, makes the characters more popped out and the setting itself. The cast of the film did great with their respective roles despite it being awkward in some moments with characters interacting with one another. There are three songs in the film and trust me, they are good to one being out of nowhere (PUN)! There are Easter Eggs in a few scenes, so pay close attention to them. Also, you are going to enjoy the freaking plot twists in it and more insight on Courage's home.

My only problem with the film was that the very beginning was forced. Now, I know that when it comes to a Scooby-Doo film, you just want to get to the point but it was kind of fast paced. They should have taken the beginning scene slowly for the characters to meet. Basically, for the whole run time, they just had to make filler with the characters which at least we could see what they are up to but some scenes weren't really needed. The whole plot of the film is trying to solve the mystery of the mutant cicadas and why they are invading the farm where Courage and his family lives, not adding unnecessary scenes but that is a cartoon film for ya.

Overall, I enjoyed this movie. If any of you are a fan of Courage the Cowardly Dog and Scooby-Doo, then this is a perfect film for you and the family to watch. It will really bring nostalgia to the heart.
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I could have NOT asked for a better crossover!
twirl-4657316 September 2021
This is, without a doubt, the best possible Scooby-Doo crossover. Scooby coming face-to-face with Courage was the last thing I expected for a crossover film, considering the fact that Scooby-Doo crossover films have been... kind of stupid over the years. But alas, it happened - the best corssover NO ONE saw coming. You have two dogs, and both of them are from a Saturday morning cartoon. Both of them solve mysteries, and they are easlily scared like... pretty much all of the time. You could've not asked for a better duo! Not only that, but this film respects both TV shows, whereas Courage has to deal with real monsters, while the monsters Mystery Inc. Finds are fake, and they somehow even managed to combine these two elements of both shows and create somethig unique. And Courage really develops his character during this movie, and it's obvious that the people responsible for this took huge risks. Well, it really payed off! Oh, and not only that, but there's also so many references to episodes of Courage the Cowardly Dog and these is SO MUCH lore inside this movie, not to mention all of the nightmare fuel. However, the only complaint I have about this movie is the weird Eustace rap sequence. While it was funny, it felt like a corporate decision to cash in on a big song, which is most likely Straight Outta Compton from the black rap group N. W. A. All in all, this was THE perfect crossover/duo, and one of the best movies I have seen this year. Take freaking notes, Marvel!
3 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Entertaining
mvasilion16 September 2021
This was a good movie. It felt slow at first but it really got good near the middle.
2 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Horrible Movie
LegendaryNugget14 September 2021
I love Courage and Scooby Doo but this movie is hot garbage using peoples child hood shows to make a quick buck.
8 out of 34 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Great comeback film for both courage and.scooby
aadharshvaidhya17 September 2021
After a unwatchable extremely disappointing RETURN TO ZOMBIE ISLAND and a Mediocre SWORD and the. SCOOB expected this film to be mundane but my expectations were thrown out of Nowhere great movie has everything in a Scooby movie fun chase great music etc...
2 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
This movie was Amazing!
xanman-3593316 September 2021
Now there's something worth watching on DVD, this is the best crossover EVER!!! Even though Cartoon network did have some promos about the Scooby doo and Courage crossover but................ It never happened until TODAY!!! This should be on HBO Max!.
2 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
This movie was AWESOME !
AlphaXyXy20 September 2021
This movie was more than just awesome! It was Nostalgic sooo many good memories as a kid watch Courage so sad that one of the original voice actresses died this year! :(
1 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Courage is back to have one grand anniversary party!
julianmarku19 September 2021
This movie feels like such a delight from WB and CN. It's the celebration of a great animated series named Courage the Cowardly Dog.

If you are a fan of the series then celebrate with us and enjoy a great movie of celebration of honoring this classic series from almost 20 years ago.

If you are a Courage fan then look at everything in the background, you will probably see dozens of callbacks to the series. This movie is a celebration of Courage the Couwardly Dog and then that what I am giving it a 10 for. It is the movie we all wanted for Courage but never got. It is one of the best sendoffs we could have given the series and the characters.

This movies was made by fans of Courage the Cowardly dog for fans of Courage the Cowardly dog! I can't wait to get physical media of it!

Edit! I just found out after writing the review: Rest in Peace Thea White aka "Murriel". You had the last hurrah with this movie!

WB, Please add "In memory of Thea White" at the end credits.
1 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.