Triple Frontier (2019) Poster

Potential wasted by stupid plot mistakes
sumtim3s00n13 March 2019
I love these kind of heist films so I am willing to forgive quite a lot. But some illogical moves done by supposedly professionals just mess up the whole experience. From not using silencers (and the guy had a whole workshop set up exactly for this reason of preparing arms), to greedly destroying walls and no one covering them. Then all of a sudden the main guy gets super greedy and they completely ignore the time for extraction. Not to mention they keep talking and waiting and messing around. Also why the heck did they lower the windows as they drove past the family car so they can see their faces. Or why not tell the boat guy to meet them a few miles down the coast (after scaling the freakin Andes they couldnt carry the money a few more miles to avoid the teenage army?). Its just one inconsistency after another that keeps bringing you out of being immersed in the story. I do not understand why they dont give the script to a few military guys for a read through. The ego of whoever wrote this must have been probabily too grand. Its unfortunate because the foundations of the story were quite solid.
455 out of 533 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Entertaining but many Holes and Voids
rcroman200414 March 2019
Overall it was an entertaining movie. Should have been some more back story on the team. The movie needed another shootout with the real cartel instead of a car chase with incompetent kids. There were no cut scenes to show how the cartel reacted to their boss's murder, or money theft. Or what happened to the lady and her brother if they made it to Australia.

Biggest hole to me.... hey this is too much weight for the helicopter to get over the Andes. Look there is a jungle. Let's drop two guys off here, and half the money. I'll fly over mountain drop off the other half and two guys. Then I will fly back and retrieve the other half and two guys and regroup.
220 out of 254 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A great start gets dampened by shoddy story telling towards the end.
rahuljagdish-7587213 March 2019
The movie begins with good character building, establishing each protagonist's personality and background, and quickly drawing you into the plot. This part of the film is done quite well for the most part and does a good job at keeping you intrigued. Sadly, that doesn't last. A particular scene comes to mind where there's noone keeping cover while loot is being put into bags; and it beggars belief that trained, seasoned ex-military would get that careless even in front of a huge tempting mound of cash. During all of this, an armed antagonist doesn't seem to want to do anything about the banging and shouting going on in his house, but then decides to come out of a panic room only when there's at least Affleck, Hunnam and Isaac right outside its door, obviously looking for him.

In addition, a momentary lapse in Affleck's othwerwise calm and practical character displaying greed could hint at struggles in his personal life that may have motivated him in that instance, however this trait surfaces repeatedly throughout the rest of the film, and is hardly objected to or acknowledged by the rest of the equally experienced soldiers, save for a few shakes of the head and a couple of disapproving comments. This and just overall messy screenplay for the remainder of this movie leaves you waiting for a redeeming moment that doesn't quite materialize. The acting was on point without exception, but it couldn't save an ending that just ends up feeling hollow.
186 out of 238 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Great start, then becomes unrealistic
jonas-wachner13 March 2019
Great start, good acting, good music location etc. But then they all become super greedy, nobody covers when they get the money from the walls, they fly with way too much weight, etc. I always think a movie is really bad when you think the whole time "what the f, that's just dumb". This is one of those movies.
166 out of 213 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Meh.
srwenk15 March 2019
Honestly I can barely watch it, fighting the urge to turn it off since it's so close to being over. I have so many problems with it, I don't have enough time to list them. Lol I will just sum it up, 5 'best of the best' military men would not have made those 20+ cascading cluster fudge of bad decisions. It was just not good.
107 out of 145 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Great potential, unused.
ajaytejthalari13 March 2019
I'm a huge fan of Ben Affleck and Oscar Isaac. So, this movie was a must watch for me.

Character building was kinda okay. The Director could have improvised on it and made the characters more interesting by going deeper. Sometimes you feel like, is this person really who I think he is, essentially confusing us about the whole motive.

The Thrill factor, well the things that happen in the movie were either obvious or confusing. When the Movie is in the momentum of giving us chills, it suddenly stops and takes a downhill.

The Actors were SPLENDID. But, an Actor can only do what the Director tells him/her. The Direction was meh...

A ton of things in the movie could be improved. The Director only gives us a quick glance at details and immediately cuts to unnecessary talking. But loved the Concept of the movie, Greed, especially for Money.

Disappointed. Expected more. 5 stars for the 5 actors and 1 star for teaching us what greed for money can do to us.
97 out of 135 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
What A Great Comedy!!!
RobTortureWright14 March 2019
The first 30 minutes of this film are fairly dull but we do get to see a car exploding while police shoot up some random bad guys. Next we're introduced to our main character who casually strolls up and fires one of those pesky noob tube grenade launchers into the bad guys building instantly wiping out all intelligent forms of life inside. The cops then shoot the non intelligent survivors for fun and our 'hero' pretends to lose an arrested woman who turns out to be his informant, who he sleeps with, again for fun. Next we see bens character be a terrible Realtor and a terrible father so that's a thing. Next the crew gets thrown together and instantly puts a plan in action and decide to go through with it after looking over a wall and thinking 'We can totally take those guys and steal all their money'. With all that expert planning done they now show up on game day and begin talking over the radio like complete professionals and totally not like a bunch of guys messing around at a bar. They bust in and cant find mr baddie but they quickly figure out through a mindbendingly genius way that theres money in the walls so steal all of that because its cool to do so. The plan goes sideways and they shoot all the awfully trained guards and then find mr baddie hiding, shoot him for the sake of it and torch the place so it looks better. They take the money and place it on a helicopter which they got from some random guy charlie hunnam knows. Pilot of the year now calculates the weight of the cash perfectly and they attempt to fly over the andes mountains. Next we see some of the best CGI I've seen since the deer in The Walking dead or the final scene in Sons of anarchy as the helicopter flies over some mountains. Amazingly mr pilot was off on his weight calculations by a few grams so they need to throw some bags of cash out to make it. Drama alert as they are still overweight like 2 sumos in an elevator so have to ditch the main net of cash which of course falls into a field of cocaine. The helicopter crashes but everyone is absolutely fine and they all jump out and begin shouting at the locals. Ben affleck throws in the towel at this point and poorly reads his lines then shoots a bunch of civilian cocaine farmers because one of them pulls a 2 inch blade out to trim his nails. Charlie hunnam was shot earlier but now strolls about like he's Conor McGregor. Ben affleck pretends he's upset for killing the boys father but is now happy he has a shiny new pen knife. Charlie then strokes a donkey that is carrying roughly 1 million pounds of weight on its back and then they all head off to find carrots because the donkey is hungry. After being unable to locate a carrot they give up and decide to kick their feet up and put on their lovely little raincoats and talk about how they're all big tough guys with so many problems. Now we're really getting into some great filmage as they all edge up a moutain like it's a tomb raider game but because the donkey is so tired from lack of food it slips and falls off the mountain. RIP donkey. You will be missed. The non important humans make it up and ben nearly starts crying because he remembered he's still batman but thankfully he manages to pull himself together. All of the "band of brothers" are feeling chilly billy now but quickly begin laughing because they're all celebrities with lots of money so set fire to some of it and laugh some more at poor people. Ben dies.... In the film and then the guy who gets shot in four brothers begins throwing hands at charlie hunnam but mr green street holds his own. They throw the money bags off a cliff, store some in private areas and huff a dummy supposed to be ben down a mountain and onto a boat. They Make it out with pocket change which they give to bens family in some sort of moral pack which no sane human would do. The main character looks at a piece of paper with co-ordinates to the money they threw off the cliff, then walks away. The end. But is it really ? I think we all know what happened next right ? Clearly the donkey survived the fall, finds the bags of cash and hires human slaves to build a mansion made entirely out of carrots. What a terrific film I have witnessed. Truly great comedy, a must watch.
209 out of 308 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Lacked the luster the trailer promised
TheTopDawg14 March 2019
The story premise and casting were great, but the slow pace and lack of anything really exciting in the screenplay (except for a few scenes), didn't hold my interest where it should've been. The 125 min length was too long, and had the film been edited/cut down to 90 mins with a faster pace, the long dragged out story would have been more interesting and exciting. The directing and cinematography was decent, but I feel the director failed to direct his cast properly to get the much needed emotions from them. Entertaining? I guess. Would I see it again? Nope. Would I recommend it? Probably if you have nothing better to watch. It's a missed opportunity, and a 7/10 from me
77 out of 111 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
NETFLIX DOESN'T GET IT. AGAIN.
marcshank-388-58237214 March 2019
You know, in spite of the stars and writers and director, you can just tell before you even watch it that Netflix doesn't even come close to managing a production. They think they can put a hot director (who's never done action) and a hot writer (if there was a weak part to "Zero Dark Thirty" it was the writing) and stars dialing it in (Affleck looked like he did the movie at gunpoint;Isaac was actually smirking through most of it). But the Netflix producers didn't have the experience and probably not the guts to pull up Chandor and get him to get the damn thing moving. The question for me is, how can they do so much original and not learn from movie to movie what they're roll is? Why haven't they hired HBO people away? How can an adventure movie like this so utterly suck?
130 out of 204 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Waste of a great cast
nonamed_14513 March 2019
Reall, really bad storytelling. CinemaSins is gonna have a blast.
39 out of 56 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Where Do The Crazy High Ratings Come From
ricochet93-369-30880213 March 2019
This movie at best is very average. Ben Affleck again demonstrates is non acting ability. He's almost the same character in every movie. There's nothing in this you haven't seen before.
128 out of 211 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Compelling story falters in the second act
Floated214 March 2019
Triple Frontier is the latest Netflix film. Starring Ben Affleck, and Oscar Isaac in this heist drama, this film had much surrounding hype around it during upon its release. After being in production and gone through many changes over the years, Netflix finally picked it up and was its releases suitor. One can tell as the film did have a feel that it could have easily been released into theaters, given its cast.

Triple Frontier starts off very interesting and intriguing with Oscar Isaac in the opening sequences, then as it introduces its characters, we starts to get a feel and begin more hooked on what is about to occur, such as their heist plan.

Though after midway through the film, it starts to stall and feels lesser than interesting and goes downhill (around the time Adria Arjona exits from film), then once again once *Spoilers* Ben Affleck's character gets shot and kill (which was surprising to say the least, given his star presence and top billing- as he was the only member of the five leads to die).

The film isn't bad but the second act wasn't as great, and there were severely no twists or turns or anything given much of suspense. Things felt very straightforward. It was also surprising how honest the friends were, as in typically these heist films involving several groups of friends archiving large sums of money, there is often usually one character of the group to turn rogue and betray the others. However, this was not the case here.

Perhaps some twists would have made the film feel a lot more authentic and overall give it more of a edge and intrigue. It did lack suspense and thrills. In the end, this film was slightly disappointed given its hype as we feel it could had the potential to be something great.
22 out of 31 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
SHOULD'VE STOLEN BETTER DIALOGUE!
filmklassik13 March 2019
No kidding. The dialogue in this one is ATROCIOUS. It features actors playing tough, ex-army rangers spouting lines that do not feel true to their characters. Most of the time, their dialogue is utterly devoid of subtext. Each character says PRECISELY what is on his mind, whereas in real life - where deep-seated emotion is concerned - we generally IMPLY our feelings indirectly.

Not here, folks. These dudes talk like they're appearing on The Dr. Phil Show. So the flick is full of exchanges like:

"I love you, man."

"Love you too, man."

And -

"Do you ever think about it? All the people you've killed? Whether or not they deserved it?"

And -

"Hey, listen. About what I said back there. Sorry bro, I was- I was out of line."

"No, I was."

"No, me."

"No, ME."

Blah blah blah.

They sound more like dudes in a friggin' "encounter session" opening up about their struggles with "toxic masculinity" than they do actual, living people.

Is the writing on display in this film a byproduct of our new "therapy culture"? You decide.

(But it is!)
139 out of 234 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Something is missing...
garnet-3030618 March 2019
I was excited to see this, and when I did, I don't know something is missing, for me, somehow. Anyway, there is one very important lesson to learn here, and that is one should always minimise greed. It fell short for me.
14 out of 19 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Meh...ok
wesreidel13 March 2019
This movie I would say is with the time to watch and it keeps you interested the majority of the time. What concerns me is the realism of what a "war" movie should look like. The soldiers in this movie are apparently all ex-special forces of some kind and they make a bunch of mistakes that I doubt any seasoned veteran would make. Some of the events just aren't believable. (Spoiler Alert). Charlie Hunam's character was shot through the torso and then continued on a 5 day trek through the mountains looking none the worse for wear. There was no sign of him treating the wound with any antibiotics or alcohol. The soldiers had to travel through rough terrain for 5 days, dragging huge bags of money that looked stuffed full of pillows. There was NEVER any mention of the food and water they would have to secure to complete such a journey. This movie was mostly entertaining, but not very realistic.
34 out of 53 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A compelling heist story with lots of tension but little character development.
Lucky_Ted13 March 2019
A compelling heist story with lots of tension but little character development.

Triple Frontier is a hard target. What it lacks in creative writing or compelling characters it makes up for with a brutal tension that carries it through it's 2 hour 5 minute runtime. This tension is developed in part by desolate locations and situations mixed with what feels like excellent chemistry between most of the main cast.

What brings this movie down is a lack of character development or growth throughout the film. Main characters are introduced and givin a general back story if any at all, and then do not have any dramatic arc or depth to their journey throughout the rest of the film. The movie kind of just grits it's teeth and pushes past anything other than service-level emotions and reactions.

Also, and this is kind of nitpicky, Triple Frontier uses too much pop music. Instead of a dramatic or emotion swelling original score the film defaults to Metallica or CCR for dramatic effect. I think this is kind of a waisted opportunity on the film's part.
54 out of 90 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Had potential
minnickmatt14 March 2019
Great cast and decent-ish storyline. Really slow and disappointing they couldn't have done better with this one.
45 out of 74 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A steady slide down hill.
deschinc14 March 2019
Starts out well enough with decent character development and then just gets worse and worse. Big names, a beautiful location and good production values can't save this film from its plot holes, bad dialog and wandering script. Two hours of my life I won't get back.
35 out of 58 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Should not have a 7 rating
unnamed-3214514 March 2019
Was fun to watch for the first 30 minutes, mildly enterntaining for the next 30. After one hour it went down the hill, either totally predictable or totally unrealistic (meaning not even the old way of "action unrealistic", just dumb). The story writers obviously did not care much whether it made sense anymore.

The end was meh, pointless pseudo twists and pretending to follow some higher morale.
19 out of 29 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
This movie is aimed at simpletons
kuturak13 March 2019
While I did watch it till the end, I hated almost every minute of it. So much stupidity! No redeeming qualities except a few nice landscapes. If you want to watch a good military-related heist movie, see Three Kings with Wahlberg and Clooney.
90 out of 165 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Should not have an 8 rating
injun-8362013 March 2019
Once all the executives and their families finish rating this the true rating of 4will happen.
90 out of 165 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A great start which too quickly went downhill
abuashraf7315 March 2019
The movie started very nicely, built the plot, the suspense, the characters, however very soon with some lame turns the main interest went South. The cast is great. All of them are renowned, top notch actors. This might be a very good movie but unfortunately I m sure it lost the audiences attention right after the heist was made. I mean you don't expect those amaetur movies from a special op soldiers..
9 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Worth the watch if only for the sound track!
robertcooksey16 March 2019
It was an ok movie but the soundtrack is epic!! Great action ok storyline. Yes there are some plot points that don't make sense like no silencers and things of that nature but the soundtrack was on point!!
13 out of 19 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Such a letdown for so much potential.
cullen-mauritzen14 March 2019
This movie was a tactical nightmare. From the way they clear the house and cover themselves to their contegency plans. Openly showing their faces and going so far to roll the windows down and stare at people. No sat phone. No improvisation to drop the cash and come back for it. They had theoretically unlimited money to complete the mission they needed. The characters even went so far as to say they were the best of the best. Usually that has certain implications but I guess not. Netflix completely failed in this movie. I was seriously excited about it and they showed they aren't ready to hang with the big boys when it comes to the movie sector of the business. Next time please get some real advisors on board with your project.
28 out of 47 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
it's another netflix production...
indiauser13 March 2019
I couldn't even watch this till the end because it got worse and worse every minute. I just checked that titel for its imdb rating and saw 7.9. Thats why I thought "wow this might be the first good netflix film that I've ever seen." Now I just realised that it released today and only a few morons seem to have rated that. The dialogues must be written by a very simple minded person because they are soo bad. As every failed netflix production it started with an Idea that had some potential but the creators did their best to make the worst out of it. The only good scene in this movie was when Ben Affleck got shot in his head.
20 out of 32 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.