Oblivion (2013) Poster

(I) (2013)

1,046 Reviews
Don't know why this movie didn't make it
ronhardcastle19 August 2013
I have now watched this movie 3 times, and each time have liked it more than I did the first time, and even then I still enjoyed it a lot. I look at the litany of trash on the screen that DOES make a profit and am dismayed that this one was so unsuccessful. First, it's a GORGEOUS movie, and it definitely has a beating heart. I found the acting quite good, the story involving, and was quite moved more than once. And the technical staff was amazing! I suspect that it will do well on home video and cable and that one day we'll look back on it and wonder why in the world it did so poorly in its initial run. I applaud director Kosinsky and his fine team of actors and the legion of other professionals involved in bringing this to the screen. I REALLY enjoyed this movie!

31Jan14: Months later and I've watched it at least once more from my Blu-ray plus find it almost impossible to NOT watch it when I stumble across it on HBO, and I continue to find it absorbing and I STILL can't watch the end of it without crying! I find it embarrassing to write this, but I think I love this movie.
271 out of 313 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
If you like Sci Fi, you'll love this!
Glyn-52-91024214 July 2014
I hadn't really heard of Oblivion before I watched it, but I'm a big fan of Tom Cruise and his films, as he is such an excellent actor. Right from the start, the film doesn't disappoint. It has a real depth that a lot of action/Sci Fi films don't have. A beautiful ambient soundtrack is matched perfectly to the pace of the film and in it's own right is a work of excellence that I now listen to on my iPod.

The characters are believable, and as expected, Tom Cruise plays his character really well. Morgan Freeman also plays an excellent role here, and I feel was perfectly cast for his role.

The special effects are very good. The creators went to great efforts with many of the sets and props, constructing full size ships, and massive screens to project backgrounds, rather than just use blue screen and CGI, which I feel responsible for ruining many modern films. (The Star Wars prequels comes to mind!) Where CGI is used, it's not over the top, and blends well with the live action and real sets. The tower set is a work of pure beauty, and helps add to the bright and wide open feel of the film, if that makes sense.

As I said previously, the soundtrack is fantastic, and allows me to watch the film over and over without getting bored of it. The sound effects are excellent as well. Specifically the drones make excellent noises at various stages of the film.

The overall plot is very good. It has a good amount of twists, and real depth. It is all played out at a pace that seems to adapt perfectly to the story. Action sequences are fast, and deeper, more emotional sequences get the slower pace they deserve.

It's funny, but it's one of those films that maybe didn't win any awards and maybe didn't break box office records.. but I find myself watching it again and again as it's just so watchable and enjoyable. There very few films I own that I can watch, go back to the beginning, and watch again right away. Black Hawk Down is one of them, and now so is Oblivion. In fact I only watched it last week, but after writing this review, I'm tempted to watch it again tonight.

I hope you enjoy it as much as I did, and continue to do so!
195 out of 233 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
naysayers are right, but I still liked it
rblaa29 September 2013
Reading through the previous reviews, I find myself agreeing with the negative reviews in one sense, but still disagreeing overall. I walked away quite liking this movie.

Most of the complaints are around technical/realism stupidities, or else being a rip-off of previous movies.

Re stupidities: there are plenty, most of the negative reviews are correct, but they miss the point, which is given a more or less silly premise, do the characters fulfill their struggle properly.

For me the answer is strong yes, I tend to respond to the emotions a movie is trying to convey, ultimately this is a story of loss and love, a nice universal theme that always resonates.

Given that theme, the movie's style, effects, music all worked really well to reinforce that. I liked all the performances.

Be careful about critiquing modern SF movies about technical stupidities too much. Most of these have a fatal flaw that would destroy most of them. How about the likelihood of star travel? OK, you have to grant that otherwise most SF movies pretty much fall flat.

But still, the basic premise is not realistic: a star faring race, searching for energy, is not going to bother going to earth for its water, that is so much more easily available anywhere else, energy itself is much more easily accessible without playing with water for fusion, just stay with your own star, mine your own asteroid belt or gas giants.

Sure, it makes no sense for the Tet to make and use human clones, but given that, do we have a good story? I think so.

To me, valid criticisms are when characters, immersed in their realities such as they are, do not act true to their nature. And thus a movie like Prometheus failed since there the highly trained biology experts acted like complete morons.

But that is not the case here. In this movie we have passion, loss, and love, the struggle to persevere.

Plus the drones looked really really cool.

Re copying other movies: get over it. This movie is distinct enough to feel its own. I saw and loved Moon (which granted is the better movie), but I enjoyed this one for what it was.

I think it helped for me to not see any trailers, and to come in with low expectations after hearing about bad reviews.
60 out of 69 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A unexpectedly really good movie.
kieran4498 March 2014
Without revealing any spoilers, I saw this movie "out of the blue". Never saw a trailer (I still haven't). I remember hearing the name of the movie and completely forgot about it, and just decided to take a chance and watch it on cable TV one night. It is a Sci-Fi movie with a human heart, so you don't need to be a science fiction fan to enjoy it. Also, I am not a Tom Cruise addict, but he does a great job in his usual way. In fact, all the actors portray their characters very well.

There is mystery, action, a little bit of love, and some adventure. The beginning is good, there is a high point, and the ending of the movie is satisfactory in my opinion. The special effects are executed in a way not to take away from the story or the plot, and the story does not revolve around them, but rather they are just a part of the story. If you are looking for a good movie to watch, I have to say it is well worth the viewing, not too predictable. Sit back and relax, you'll enjoy this gem.
107 out of 130 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Oblivion is, personally, one of my favourite modern sci-fi films.
TheMovieDiorama25 February 2018
Honestly, I do believe this is supremely underrated. Now I know I will be in the minority with my opinion, and that's perfectly fine. After all, I gave "Lara Croft: Tomb Raider" a solid nine (loooove it). Anyway, in a ravaged and desolate futuristic Earth a tech team are stationed on the planet to ensure hydro rigs are fully operational before being sent to Titan where humanity currently resides. However, they must battle against "Scavengers" who set out to destroy these rigs and droids. Why? What could possibly be the reason? Well...stay away from the hideous trailer, unfortunately it reveals far too much. So aside from the hideous marketing, this film is incredible. I've seen it a good twenty times and never get bored. Again, I know most of you will disagree with me...but all the ingredients for a thinking sci-fi are there and unequivocally are blended to make a memorable film. This is two for two for director Joseph Kosinski as far as I'm concerned. "Tron: Legacy" is a personal favourite, and so is this. He makes visual audio experiences. The visual effects here are gorgeous, from the clean white architecture to the desolate horizon. Everything looked outstanding, particularly the interior of 'The Tet'. Then we come to M83's soundtrack which is an entrancing piece of synthesised electronic goodness. The two technical aspects compliment each other so well to create, not just a film, but an experience. You guys know me by now, I will always have a soft spot for technically accomplished films. The acting is slightly monotonous, but it works for the environment that they are in. Andrea Riseborough is a personal favourite of mine, she's damn good in everything. The story has plenty of twists and turns, particularly when breaching the Radiation Zone. A few scenes of exposition and narration but not enough to become a detriment to the narrative. Like I said, I'm in the minority...and I don't care, I love this film.
33 out of 38 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A memorable sci-fi fantasy world with a human heart at its core.
mwburrows11 April 2013
If there is a soul, it is made from the love we share.

There are many ways to describe Oblivion, but the softly spoken afterword by Tom Cruise's character really makes you feel the human heartbeat of this sci-fi epic.

As always, the trailer is full of explosions and set pieces. Oblivion the movie is an entirely different beast that values a human story and characters that are driven by common purpose. While the cast is tiny, I found much to enjoy from Cruise, Riseborough, Freeman and that Nordic guy from Headhunters who is showing up more frequently in Hollywood blockbusters. Aside from unusually limited screen-time, Morgan and other supporting cast are effective and memorable.

The threads of the plot are well-woven and I won't give anything away, so what I will tell you is to prepare for a powerful journey into the unknown where nothing is what it seems. Explosive set pieces take a backseat for sci-fi philosophy with twists to spare.

Oblivion ticks all the boxes for correct use of literary devices and establishes enough original cannon to stick in your mind long after the credits start rolling. It is a distinct success among the largely abysmal offerings of 2013 so far, don't miss it.
693 out of 925 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A beautiful movie you won't regret seeing
diogomanuel14 October 2017
Brilliant writing; great performance by the actors; beautiful and realistic scenery; wit that makes us laugh, and a story we passionately follow with a proper ending that make us think about what does matter in life.

What more can one want from a movie? 9 out of 10 for what may be one of the best movies ever made in this genre.
27 out of 32 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
As entertainment, brilliant....
portsea13 April 2013
I went to see this having read a few reviews, I also heard a review from a friend that Richard Wilkins on Australian critic had said it wasn't that good.

Well, I have no idea what film they saw, but it wasn't the one I saw. The start was a little slow, but still threw in some moments of concern to keep one on the edge. As the film settled on, it kept moving at a good pace. Story was a basic love story, mixed in with morality, but basically, love story.

Cgi was amazing, cinematography was brilliant, stunning even. All the main characters were easy on the eye too, always making it easier to want to watch.

Plot wasn't sophisticated, probably described as feel good, but frankly, it was perfect. I left a 2 hour film and wasn't bored for a second.

Cruise, for all the press on him and his supposed kookiness, I don't care, he carried the film.....

GO SEE THIS, pure entertainment.
622 out of 889 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
This movie is like a good wine.
staticvoidmain19 July 2017
This movie is complex and soulful. it stays with you long after you seen it. you will love the special effects and practical effects. the use of real landscapes and atmosphere as backdrops to the movie. there is not crude cgi movement of any sorts. good soundtrack and theme.

if you are looking for a movie to rewatch, this is it!
28 out of 34 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Visually excellent though slightly too long
toppin11 April 2013
This movie is - without a doubt - one of the most visually spectacular that I have ever seen, standing shoulder-to-shoulder in that department with the likes of Watchmen, Prometheus, Sunshine and Kosinski's preceding effort - TRON: Legacy. Also (like TRON) the soundtrack is excellent and very well used throughout, enhancing the action and adding depth to some - at times - distinctly average acting performances.

Tom Cruise plays Tom Cruise but that's not a bad thing in this case, in fact his natural charisma carries the movie through some of its slower sections. Morgan Freeman plays Morgan Freeman though he's really not on screen for long enough to influence the movie one way or another. Olga Kurylenko's statuesque profile is unfortunately not matched by her acting ability and I often found it difficult to believe in her character's actions and emotions. Andrea Riseborough turns in maybe the best performance, convincing as the sad and confused Victoria, unwilling - or perhaps unable - to confront the disturbing truth.

At over 2 hours I think that it's too long by about 20 minutes. A shorter cut would tighten up the story and eliminate some of the slower sections which I think hurt the movie's overall rhythm and flow.

Overall, I would definitely recommend going to see this movie in the cinema, on the biggest screen that you can find. It just won't be the same on TV. The visual appeal alone is reason enough, but combined with a clever (if not entirely original) script, a thumping soundtrack and some exciting action, you should be entertained.
446 out of 639 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Exciting visuals and twists
d-alexander-791-50720214 September 2013
Just finished watching the film for a second time through. First time through at an extreme screen cinema and the second at home. At both locations the film was fantastic in terms of visual and sfx. The film was very well directed with a range of creative and visually pleasing shots and film techniques. The storyline itself was great with plenty of exciting twists and turns in the storyline. Admittedly, the first hour is not as exciting and the second - however it worked to explain the storyline which was one of the greatest aspects of the film. Definitely a must see - even after my second viewing I was able to enjoy and learn more about the film.
24 out of 29 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Spoiler-free review, the less you know the better you'll enjoy it
Hal_Computer17 April 2013
I really wanted to see this movie from the first time I saw the movie trailer a long time ago. I came up with all sorts of fun endings in my own mind based on the trailer and eventually my curiosity caused me to read too much and I read some spoilers that I wish I hadn't. I still enjoyed the film immensely, but wish I hadn't read the spoilers and suggest you shy away from all potential spoilers, reading as little as possible before seeing the movie. So when you're done with this review, don't read anymore, just go see the movie.

I had the good fortune of watching this movie at an advance screening on a smaller IMAX screen and I really enjoyed it, as did the huge audience, judging by the lively and jovial banter as people exited. The movie follows Jack Harper who is a drone repair tech in a future earth that has been ravaged by an alien invasion. He has a by-the-books eye-in-the-sky (literally) assistant named Victoria (nicknamed Vika) who watches out for Jack and reports to Central. They live together in a sky platform to avoid the alien scavs who come out at night. Jack is keeping the drones repaired to defend huge energy machines from being attacked by the scavs. Once enough energy has been stored up from the world's oceans by the energy machines, the remaining survivors of earth hope to leave in a few short weeks for the safety of a new base on Saturn's Titan. To protect certain things, Jack and Victoria's memories have been erased before their present situation. Jack is confused about why they have to leave earth, whereas Vika is ready to go, but they both cherish and respect each other. Then Jack meets Malcolm Beech who tells Jack that things are not exactly how they seem, which sets off a series of events that eventually lead to the end of the movie.

Some critics have mentioned something like "we've seen these ideas before" in other movies. While it's true that there's nothing totally new in this movie per se, that doesn't make the movie less appealing, IMO. Thinking back to when I was much younger and saw the trailer for the movie Independence Day in the theatre, I remember thinking that the movie looked really fun despite the fact that there've been a zillion alien invasion movies before, but I still hoped they'd do a great job with it because the trailer for the movie was awesome. Was there anything earth-shatteringly new about the movie? Not really, but it was still excellent entertainment. That's how I feel about Oblivion. To me, it's great entertainment.

The only minor complaints I had was that the volume of the music while Jack and Vika were in the pool was too much and sometimes things dragged ever so slightly between action sequences. Overall though, this movie was definitely a remarkable treat.
223 out of 319 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Excellent Sci Fi movie - do NOT read spoilers!
sandimcg12 April 2013
I SO enjoyed this movie - always LOVE to see a very entertaining sci-fi film. This one really must be seen on a big screen. But don't let anyone tell you about the movie plot (which is excellent)!!! If they start to do so, stick your fingers in your ears and hum! Don't be tempted to read spoilers!

Part of your fullest enjoyment of this film would come from everything about it being a surprise. If you like sci-fi, you will thoroughly enjoy the plot line, the action, the actors, wonderful visuals of earth, the music and the well-done special effects.

Just watch the trailer if you need to be intrigued. It is a well done representation.
391 out of 578 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A surprise, loved this
eaglebay-218755 February 2019
Was not expecting much, as I had not heard of this movie. Beautifully shot, stunning actually. A great surprise for me, not normally my genre, loved this.
16 out of 19 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Fascinating plot, wonderful music
avillamaina29 March 2019
One of Tom Cruise's technological movies, but with a nice plot with some good twists. I really enjoyed M83's soundtrack, very involving and evocative.
21 out of 26 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Fantastic visual effects ensure a gripping and entertaining film
ollyc12317 April 2013
Before seeing this film in theaters it was tough to know what to expect. It immediately grasped my attention as the storyline was so different than anything I have seen as of late. Tom Cruise is the perfect man for the lead role, and does not fail to deliver a good performance. If you are a relatively simple person with a short attention span you may become a bit dazed and confused as to why certain components of the film are occurring, but it adds up in the end beyond measure. Although 'Oblivion' forces you to work slightly harder than usual in understanding the plot and each twist that it takes, it all comes together very well in this thrilling yet slightly confusing film. No doubt one of Kosinski's best so far.
213 out of 319 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
GREAT FOR THE SCIENCE FICTION FAN! And maybe everyone!
poicop12 April 2013
They don't make many science fiction films these days. This was a pleasant surprise all throughout the film. Man did I like this film.

And in my opinion. Tom Cruise really likes what he does, and works at his craft as an actor very seriously. In my opinion 95% of Cruises movies in the last 10 years have been good choices. And I'm sick of what the media says about his personal life.

I am one who went and saw Prometheus with an open mind. And listened to what the director said about it NOT being an Aliens movie. And LOVED IT. Good Sci-fi. Such as this film.

It definitely turned out to be something I wasn't expecting.

Excellent Job by Everyone involved. Nice work Cruise!
462 out of 712 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Encore !!
nishendras-784-6218226 September 2013
One of the best Sci-Fi movies ever made . My self being a avid fan of Sci Fi movies and book fan. Has the right body in the start, the body of the story and the ending. each area was just right with the right amount of story line , emotion and suspense with a very clever write up. Super performance by Tom cruise,Olga Kurylenko,Andrea Riseborough and of course Morgan freeman.

Tribute the director and producer and all the staff who made it happen. Its been a while where was able to watch a good Sci-fi flick. With this one , it hit the bulls-eye.

the sound track is amazing , applause M83 and the beautiful voice of Susan Sunanne Sundffor

A true winner- My personal rating 10/10. I cannot imagine anything which could have been done better.
37 out of 50 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Entertaining, but in no way a masterpiece.
brun_v10 April 2013
Coming out of the theatres following my viewing of this film, I was confused. I couldn't decide whether I liked it or not.

The ending was rushed, clichéd and quite cheesy, that I was sure about. But I had enjoyed the film, more or less. The visuals are stunning. The cinematography was truly impressive and I think it is these Prometheus-esque visuals (in terms of quality) that successfully manage to distract you from what is actually quite an appalling film.

The storyline is shallow and the large majority of characters undeveloped (I honestly don't see much point in Morgan Freeman's character). Even after the real human faction is revealed and a group of drones rampage around massacring everyone, you just don't feel anywhere near the amount of sympathy as you should do.

When the super villain is finally revealed, anyone who has seen 2001: A Space Odyssey will have immediately recognised a blown up version of Hal. The (fairly predictable) clone twist is reminiscent of Moon although it is accepted by the characters after only a couple of seconds of conflict.

The first twenty minutes however, were very good (minus the lightning scene). The setting of the post apocalyptic time frame was laid out beautifully with a collection of scenes which almost reminded me of a futuristic version of I Am Legend.

Yes underneath the film is a very generic amalgamation of various sci-fis that came before and it is definitely not a masterpiece in itself, but to the open minded viewer it provides more than enough to give you an easy two hours of mild entertainment and pretty landscapes.

(Does anyone else question Tom Cruise's morals in stranding his wife alone in a valley for three years, thus forcing her to give birth by herself? Oh yeah and when did that happen? Hours after she was shot? Wait how did she recover?)
321 out of 499 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Sometimes I like my sci-fi exactly like this.
Tehmeh20 August 2013
I read some bad reviews about Oblivion, but decided to have a go with blu-ray anyway. Just watched it.

Very positively surprised. I like how the movie takes its time. I didn't think it dragged at all, I like to have some room to think and immerse myself. And immerse myself I did. I thought I'd get an average movie experience, but this is one of the best big SciFi movies I've seen in years. "Moon" and "Prometheus" are the other ones, though one could argue that "Moon" isn't a big film in itself and "Prometheus" is weakest as a whole.

Yes, Oblivion has elements and themes that we've already seen before. It doesn't invent anything perfectly fresh. It reminds me of 2-3 other movies very much. I'm not naming those movies though, this is best to be seen without any spoilers beforehand if at all possible. Even though the themes are not original, they work well and the movie feels it's set in its own world. Not only do the themes work well, but they are important and ageless.

I managed to suspend my disbelief and dive into the movie, and I was rewarded. This isn't to say that the movie is sloppy or nonsensical, although many people will have problems with some things. What I mean is that there's much detail to every scene. I don't only mean props, continuity or stuff like that, but that every scene is crafted carefully and and has a purpose. I will compliment the ending too. Not necessarily in a "it's brilliant!" manner, but the movie made me feel there was a real payoff. It builds itself up well, holds itself together and ends in a powerful way. The ending was intense, emotional and absolutely satisfying.

So I liked the general plot, themes and pacing. How does it look? It looks brilliant. Absolutely brilliant. Those of you who have Prometheus on blu-ray: yes, this is equally stunning. I admit some designs lack imagination and many things are too "clean" as if futuristic surroundings would always be white, clean-cut and sterile, but you forgive that. This is eye-candy, this is eye-steak. Also, if you have a symmetry-related OCD, you'll appreciate Oblivion. For some reason I noticed symmetry everywhere.

Everything seems to have its rightful place. And here I will also compliment the wonderful music: when everything works and flows well on the screen, you can easily concentrate your focus on the beautiful score too.

Tom Cruise is a strange man. I would love to hate him for his scientology crap, but almost every time he entertains me with his movies. Many times he's just so solid. He's solid again. Not anything Oscar-worthy, but he does deliver as well as we've grown to expect. Beautiful Olga Kurylenko's character is one I would've liked to have developed a little more, but she gives a pretty good performance. Andrea Riseborough is excellent and in my mind delivers the best acting in this movie, establishing that certain important contrast with the main character. Morgan Freeman is Morgan Freeman. That is enough.

Except for a couple of short scenes, there are usually only 2-3 people interacting with each other at once - often with just communication devices - and I like it. It creates that weird feeling of intimacy in a vast, open world. For some reason I'm reminded of "Collateral", where Cruise and Jamie Foxx kind of have a huge city just to themselves.

In some ways, this movie is like Prometheus for me, Oblivion being a little better as a whole. Both are a little flawed in their own ways, but still fascinating and captivating in a way that's very hard to accomplish. Add brilliant visuals and an effective soundtrack into the mix and you got yourself an interesting ride. I think I had the perfect state of mind for this movie, I'm still surprised how much I liked it.

I do believe that in time, "Oblivion" will be a cult classic. There was so much wonderful talent involved in almost every possible aspect that I could almost sense their love for filmmaking as an art form.

Joseph Kosinski did a really wonderful job and established himself for me. Really looking forward to his work from now on.
17 out of 21 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
"I am Jack Harper and I am Home"
A_Different_Drummer27 October 2016
For decades it has been an accepted fact of life in Hollywood that, no matter how good the movie, endings are a write-off.

Hollywood has learned the hard way that, no matter how good the film (or the book on which it is based) it is impossible to do an ending which satisfies the writer, the director, the producers, the critics, the audience and (duh!) reviewers like this one.

That is why, for literally as long as there have been movies, endings are changed at the last minute; and often even multiple endings are shot so that survey groups can be brought in to make the final choice.

The reason I gave this brief lecture on the importance of endings is simple -- going into the last 20 minutes, this was a rock solid film with a rock solid script and rock solid performances.

But the ending was ... perfect.

And perfect endings are so rare these days that I needed to write a review for posterity that does nothing except note this for future readers and future viewers.

Are we still an effective team???????????
24 out of 32 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
An Orgasmic Audio-Visual Fair!
DexIMF12 April 2013
Here's a fine example of a film that may have an inconsistent and a familiar screenplay, but still makes up for an exciting watch due to its director Joseph Kosinski's extra-ordinary sense of creating spectacles that feel like breathing artworks. The effective background music makes them feel even grander. I think Kosinski's creative process starts basically from the music. It's essentially an orgasmic audio-visual fair, just like Kosinski's previous and debut film- Tron:Legacy. He's more ambitious here, and more passionate. Although, you can't help but recognize the influences behind the story-which are some sci-fi epics I won't name here-and feel deja-vu; it still never stops being exciting and interesting. Oh, BTW I suggest to listen to Oblivion OST by M83 (amazing shoegaze/electronica band) before going for the film. Really! M83's soundtrack feels like Hans Zimmer-Daft Punk-M83 all together at once. And that's effing awesome!

I wait for the day when Kosinski is handed an ambitious and promising screenplay. That day, I believe, he will make a master-piece worth savoring for lifetime.
249 out of 404 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Visually amazing, very enjoyable.
tr9128 August 2013
'Oblivion' was a film that kept me gripped from the 1st minute. The set is just visually amazing, everything about it is stunning. The way the Earth looks, the vehicles, the bubble ship (where Jack lives) all just looked brilliant. The special effects were amazing too. I really am struggling for words to describe just how good it did look.

The cast all done a great job, Tom Cruise was pretty much perfect in the lead role and then there was Morgan Freeman, who I wish could have had more screen time. Then there was two lesser known actresses, Andrea Riseborough and Olga Kurylenko who both gave very good and believable performances.

I thought the plot was good and as I said before, it got your attention right from the start. The action scenes were breathtaking and extremely fast paced when they happened. Some have said that they felt the film was too long, I personally felt it was the right length because it enabled the characters to develop. It was a little bit predictable at times and did get a bit confusing when there was a twist, although it all made more sense in the end.

Overall, this was a very enjoyable film that is just simply stunning on the eye.

8/10.
19 out of 25 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Oblivion movie review- beautiful, stylish, fantastic
achyutaghosh14 April 2013
Granted Oblivion takes inspiration from countless sci-fi classics, granted that it lets a larger than life star consume it, granted it lets visual flair and elegance triumph mind bending probabilities, but there is no denying the fact that it is one hell of an entertainer, and probably THE sci-fi vehicle that Tom Cruise wanted all his life, Spielberg aside. A long preamble sets the dystopian background- it is the year 2077, and the earth has been devastated in a war with aliens who destroyed the moon, thus destabilizing the earth, causing earthquakes and tsunamis. Nuclear annihilation followed, and as the earth became inhabitable, the surviving humans moved to Titan, a moon of Saturn, while alien scavengers still roam the irradiated habitat. They still mine the earth's resources through giant reactors which are in turn protected by drones, which are maintained by a pair of technicians residing in a stylish, minimalistic floating facility in the clouds, with wiped out memories- Jack Harper (Tom Cruise) and Victoria Olsen (Andrea Riseborough), who are counting their days to their return to Saturn. Is this the truth? Who are Jack and Victoria? Why does Jack still have haunting memories of his past? Are there humans left on earth? Who won the war? "Is it possible to miss a place you've never been? To mourn a time you never lived?" Oblivion doffs it cap to gems such as 2001: A Space Odyssey, I am legend, Independence Day, @Moon, Star Wars, Total Recall, The Matrix and of course, WALL•E to create a striking, visually resplendent feature. Fresh from his Oscar for Life of Pi (film), Claudio Miranda creates an another unforgettable integration of cinematography and visual effects- an arresting landscape of desolate beauty pockmarked with craters and fallen signposts of humanity as we know it, and lush, unspoiled green valleys. The action is sporadic and effective, not overpowering, and there is a love triangle that is sensitively dealt with. Cruise here is playing one of his more affable characters, a dreamer trying to find out the meaning of his existence, taking direct inspiration from Sam Rockwell's stellar turn in the Moon. As revelations unravel, he gets into superstar mode with minimal fussiness- cool vehicles, check. Weapons, check. Beautiful babes, check. Mission to save the world, check. Risenborough is superb as the icy cool, rule following partner, Olga Kurylenko gives grace to an essentially damsel in distress role, while Morgan Freeman is his usual solid self in a cameo. Director Joseph Kosinski gives a graphic novel flair to the proceedings, and like his previous effort Tron Legacy, gives a solid bonus in the form of a surging musical score by French band M83.To sum up, Oblivion may not be terribly original, but it is stylish, well written and got performances to boot- especially Cruise who is in red hot form. It may not be a puzzle to solve, but in the immortal words of Roxette- it's got the look to warrant a trip to the theaters! Go on and enjoy a summer spectacle.
125 out of 197 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Surprisingly well done
charles00024 September 2017
Surprisingly well done. Not an entirely original concept, but the story had enough unique features to still make it compelling and interesting.

I freely admit to being a bit skeptical going in with Tom Cruise as the lead role, but that was tempered by knowing that Olga Kurylenko would be there. OK, I could watch her in just about anything (and have seen almost every film she's ever been in), and was not disappointed.

This is a film where you will want to pay attention to details. Understanding who (and what) Tom Cruise's character is will become apparent as the film progresses, so am not going to recite the details of that plot thread here, but it does require a willingness to follow those details as they emerge. As for Olga, this may be her best performance yet. She has progressed remarkably since her early days in films like "the Assassin Next Door".

That's not to take anything away from Andrea Riseborough, who played the complex role of a highly intelligent woman, but one who is conflicted and confined by specific belief boundaries that had been programmed into her. Morgan Freeman, of course, fits his part exactly, as will become apparent later in the film.

No spoilers here, but I might offer that in the genre' of post apocalyptic, earth is in dire peril and who we are destined to be as a type of species plot formats, this one is a bit different.

There is considerably more to this production than just eye candy, though the CGI is quite well done. Unlike some films of a quasi similar genre', the CGI is beautifully done where relevant, but does not overpower the details of the plot threads as they emerge.

This is one of those rare examples where the balance between technically stunning visual content and pace of story actually fit remarkably well together. Kudos to Joseph Kosinski for maintaining that balance in this well crafted production.

A very solid 9 stars for this one.
10 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.