The 8th Night (2021) Poster

(2021)

A Middling, But Fun Ride
ryanpersaud-594155 July 2021
The Good: I love the incorporation of Buddhist mythology and theology in the plot; maybe it's just me, but given the overwhelming depiction of Christianity in ghost and horror movies (even in South Korea), it's refreshing. The characters are generally very fun, particularly the dynamic between young, naive monk Cheonseok and grizzled veteran Jin Woo.

Also, the visuals are trippy and grotesque enough to be compelling, even if the plot is a bit convoluted at times. I love the "eye" and how it moves and acts.

The Bad: As I said before, the plot can be a bit convoluted and complicated, for no particularly good reason. We're still learning things during the film's final act, which is a bit of a problem.

The Ugly: the music. I don't know why, but the music in this one is really cheesy and took me out of the movie multiple times. For a film that lives and dies by its atmosphere, it's a bigger issue than you'd think.
19 out of 21 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Very Korean
tonytangney5 July 2021
Very Korean supernatural horror. The main character always seems to start out really dour. Gore without being disgusting. Shabby without being dirty. High death rate of course. I feel Asian movies lose a bit of their essence in translation to English but this is still pretty good.
10 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Gotto love a good story drenched in blood
ohkcomputer6 July 2021
Beautiful cinematography, some really endearing and funny moments, mystery, a supernatural doomsday setting. A lot to love here. The only horror movie that really beats this movie that came out in 2021 is A Quiet Place Part 2. (Sorry The Conjuring 3, you really did miss the magic Wann touch!)

I read some complaints about CGI by other reviewers. I don't share their complaints. Had a really good time with this movie.
15 out of 21 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Great story, boring and amateurish
PedroPires905 July 2021
Oh man, such a good story, such a good original material and then...this. The director doesn't look interested in doing something great here, so why should we care? The film is boring, with a vulgar direction, bad editing, bad score (basically the most generic you can find for each situation) and with serious pace issues.

The cinematography is good, at least. The plot...Well it could have been great, but it's confusing and a mess due to they way the story was told. Good acting from most tho.

Some good imagery, the girl was really creepy (much more before any effect), but nothing here will stay with me for long.
20 out of 30 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
a flawed but engrossing slow burn thriller
bananamanaus4 July 2021
Went into this movie completely blind, expected it to be the typical netflix mildew but its suprisingly well known and from a unknown director cast and crew Visually its really interesting and almost has a slight anime look to it, the story its the best part with nice twists and turns along the way.

Soundtrack and score are also very nice its a great sounding movie especially in surround Some of it needed improving some rough editing but overall i really enjoyed it.

Some hammy acting aside the main monks do a great job.

If you want a korean hereditary this is your movie.

My only real slight against it is that the english dub is TERRIBLE much worse then most non english movies, watch the subtitled version in korean.
7 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
It's complicated
boboceaelena26 July 2021
I don't know exactly what I should feel about this movie. The premise is a interesting, the plot makes sense, the reveal is unexpected but still feels flat because you don't feel the stakes or the pressure building up.
5 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Love it
caylchinzah0520 July 2021
Id watch anything with Nam Da Reum. Honestly i didnt see the plot twist coming as a non horror movie fan. The acting was solid. I love the storyline too. Keep you on toes. And the screen presence of the young actors is worth mentioning. And the lead was superb.
6 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Unnecessarily convoluted
Movi3DO9 July 2021
A new South Korean horror on Netflix. With prayer beads in one hand and an ax in the other, a monk hunts down a millennia-old spirit that's possessing humans and unleashing hell on Earth.

Getting straightforward to the point, the plot was incredibly convoluted. A complicated plot doesn't mean a bad thing, but in this movie it was unnecessarily confusing. Even though I was able to wrap my head around it, the twist wasn't surprising or mind-blowing, but only weird and nonsensical.

I might be able to forgive this weird plot if there were good horror, but I was disappointed. Only the design for the eyes were solid in this movie, while the other effects were not scary at all. The movie avoided almost all gore. When someone was about to be attacked, the quick edits came in and we moved on without seeing any blood. That just took away most of the potential scares. There were also twisted-neck effects, but they felt cheap and lame. Lastly, one of the girl in this movie was suppose to be creepy with her smile, but it felt more like a clown face.

With all the slow burn pacing and confusing plot, I could not care much about the characters. The two main characters had an important backstory that was pretty alright, but didn't hit me much.

Overall, a very disappointing South Korean horror. 4/10.
6 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Great horror even without the frightfest
rouselleisla3 July 2021
I really liked the origin story-very intriguing and creepy! It successfully set the tone for the entire movie. The countdown made me feel all the tension even if there were no jumpscares. Not a lot of gore, either. But there are very scary people here alright. Good twist at the end, too!
7 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Messy and Lost in Translation
claudio_carvalho27 September 2021
Many centuries ago, Buddha defeated a demon and ripped out his red and black eyes (symbolizing anxiety and hatred), hiding them in caskets, one Far East and the other Far West. When an archeologist finds the red eye in the desert, he is considered a charlatan by the media and falls in disgrace. But nine years later, he plots a scheme to reunite the eyes and awake the demon, using a six people who tried to commit suicide to carry the red eye, meet the Virgin Shaman and join to the black one. Now the only hope to save mankind is a former monk and guardian of the black eye that uses prayer beads in one hand and an ax in the other to find the Virgin Shaman and avoid darkness on Earth.

"Je8ileui Bam", a.k.a. "The 8th Night", is a horror Korean movie with a promising storyline but messy screenplay and maybe lost in translation for Westerns. The plot is confused, with many complicated and unnecessary subplots that make hard to understand details of the story. I saw a version awfully dubbed in English with Portuguese subtitles and I do not know where are the mistakes: in the spoken English or in the written Portuguese? Many parts do not make any sense. The conclusion with the spirit of the Virgin Shaman released to leave Earth is great. My vote is four.

Title (Brazil): "A Oitava Noite" ("The 8th Night")
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Don't u dare yawn. I love Korean movies but this one is a big disappointment.
Fella_shibby6 July 2021
Too much time spent on chit chat n mumbo jumbo stuff which made the movie boring except for the finale which has a brutal kill by the branch.

Basically the story is very similar to Denzel Washington's The Fallen.

This movie cud have been better but alas.

I dont mind the religious mumbo jumbo stuff but at least they cud have made it spooky n atmospheric like Conjuring, Annabelle, Insidious, etc.
14 out of 28 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
This Sucked
bgmagic2215 July 2021
It took me a few tries to finish this because I kept falling asleep. Very boring plot.
6 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Very solid
jonathanmarklund20 August 2021
Netflix has been a hit and miss.

This is one of the better films I've seen on the platform.

You do have to realize that you are watching a "made for tv" movie. The effects are not near as good as you would get in a blockbuster movie. However. What saves this movie is the actors. Overall they are performing above the level of a television actor. Again; this is not Shakespeare, this is not seasoned veterans performing a well-written drama. It's a TV crew doing a horrormovie.

I personally thought the story was well-written. I thought the execution of it was well done, and the ending felt very satisfying.

I like the characters, and I like the plot of the film.

The movie was maybe a little bit too long and maybe the story was a little bit too over-complicated for what it was trying to accomplish. But these are minor details in an overall really solid movie.

Some in the comments are complaining about the mythology not being explained well enough, or that it's too Korean, or too relying on previous knowledge about Buddhism to really make sense. But I actually see that as it's strength. It's interesting to see a movie doing something differently. Especially on an international platform as Netflix. This is not a Korean movie for Koreans only, nor is it an american movie targeted directly at only americans.

Therefore it is challenging, and rewarding.

I recommend this to anybody looking for "something else".

It is not perfect, but it is a very solid movie that is worth watching and everybody involved with the project should feel proud.

Gate Gate Paragate Parasamgate Bodhi Svaha.
3 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
It could be better than this
joy-722623 July 2021
Actually this movie has a good plot, but other details, the conversation and some actings didn't impress me.
8 out of 16 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I love it
melekkorel3 July 2021
I love Korean cinema. Especially horror movies The 8th Night is also great. So meaningful. Made me cry. I have to say that the movie is absolutely underrated.
8 out of 16 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Disappointing
sarahcarter-571435 July 2021
This film did not really get going until the last forty five minutes up until that point it was so slow I was actually thinking of not watching to the end now I like slow burn I've watched hundreds of Koreans dramas and films and they tell a good story but this did not hold my attention in the beginning I only carried on as I don't like not finishing what I started the ending too felt a bit of a let down this film is not one I would bother watching again koreans do a good horror but this isn't one of them.
9 out of 19 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
No such things in Buddhism
108YearsOld18 July 2021
There is no such legend in Buddhism, let alone in the Diamond sutra. Completely wrong on all counts in terms of Buddhist ideas, very questionable for making such a movie to propagate these false images with which Buddhism has nothing to do.
5 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Big fat meh
horrorgasm11 July 2021
The fact that the most helpful review right now describes this as one of the best horror movies of 2021 right between A Quiet Place 2 and The Conjuring 3 should pretty much let you know what you're in for here.

I don't see the appeal myself. Just a lot of filler and drawn out melodrama with characters I don't care about one bit, all set to overdramatic music that does more to tell you how you're supposed to be feeling about each scene than anything actually happening before your eyes does.

Hooray it's on NetFlix for "free" though so 9/10! (Just kidding this is a 4 or 5 at best).
6 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
way better than the rating is portraying it to be
roels5022 August 2021
I don't know what movie other people have watched, but this movie is just great and I have seen many many many Korean thrillers. This is up there in the same league with e.g. The Wailing.
Fine Attempt: Impactful Use of Sanskrit
dev_m_i27 July 2021
Out of all movies, I have seen till now, this movie is the first one that used Sanskrit as a language for dialogues and through these dialogues, I realised the potential of Sanskrit to be spoken impactfully accompanied by the actors' expression and dialogue delivery.
3 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Buddha or Demon just seperated by a piece of paper
doramon-0366211 July 2021
I won't say this is horror movie, but thanks a bunch this is so educational 🙏 Doesn't want to let go the past (red) and worried about the future (black), that what makes everything dark and our life feels like in the hell... Therefore live in the present with a grateful heart. Our life is the creation of our mind 🙏
3 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Nothing but a big disappointment
aastikhimta5 July 2021
The plot was average and wasn't that boring but Cgi of movie was so bad. Plus there were no horror scenes not even one jump scares scene. Ending was lame too.
9 out of 24 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
This is a yawner
mochteam3 October 2021
This movie is so boring. It lacks everything that a horror movie should have. The dialog is boring, the plot is boring and the characters are boring and even the ghost,demon, or whatever it's called is boring. This move should be called The 8th Boredom.
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Amateurs
chuckedt18 September 2021
Story line was actually pretty good. Most of the acting was good; however, the detective played by Park Hae-joon was extremely amateurish. His part literally took away from the film. Would have liked to offer more stars, but I couldn't finish watching the movie.
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Consistently enjoyable despite its flaws
Sir_AmirSyarif12 July 2021
Despite its flaws in the storytelling department, Kim Tae-hyoung's 'The 8th Night' is consistently enjoyable with some stand out sequences and the atmosphere, as expected in a Korean horror film at this point, works really well for the dread that the story requires. A pretty decent thriller that has some smart ideas but with a middling execution of those very elements.
2 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.