Wan was initially unsure about putting Topo in this movie, but was inspired to do so after watching Mad Max: Fury Road (2015), saying, "If that film could have a guy playing a flaming guitar, I'm going to have an octopus drummer in mine."
- Arthur Curry is bare-chested and bearded, which was Aquaman's look in the 1990s.
- His half-brother King Orm is clean-shaven and blonde, which is Aquaman's classic look.
- Their ancestor King Atlan's attire is Aquaman's green and gold costume, with a crown and green cloak. This was Aquaman's royal suit in the Alex Ross graphic novel "Kingdom Come". Arthur gets this suit, but in its classic design without the crown and cloak, near the end of this movie.
In the comics, Aquaman has actually encountered the Lady of the Lake from Arthurian legend, who healed his crippled body with a hand made out of magical water and which also provided water-related powers.
- "Orm" means "snake" in Swedish and "worm" in Danish and Norwegian. A fitting name for an antagonist who is not beyond carrying out deceptions.
- "Marius" derives from the Latin words "maris" ("male") and "mare" ("sea") and the Roman god of war Mars. A fitting name for a warmonger from Atlantis.
A specially designed 700fps shot was used to film this scene.
The Atlantis underwater bridge that marks its entrance is based on the Californian landmark, the Golden Gate Bridge, which is an homage to Sub Diego.
This is the second superhero movie to feature a Pinocchio homage, after Avengers: Age of Ultron (2015).
However, there are certain differences between the comic and the film:
- in the comics the war was a worldwide event that brought in the Justice League, while in the film Aquaman only has Mera as his ally.
- the comics revealed that Vulko manipulated Orm to enable the war to happen, to discredit Orm and enable Arthur to take the throne. In the film Orm starts the war by himself, with Vulko only manipulating events to aid Arthur and Mera as much as possible.