Aquaman (2018) Poster

(2018)

4,377 Reviews
Lying there Under, under the sea
bkoganbing21 April 2019
Aquaman of DC comics finally gets his top billing in a film as the nicely put together Jason Momoa plays the title role in this science fiction epic. Already a sequel is in the works, in fact this film ends on an uncertain note setting up the story line for the sequel.

Lighthouse keeper Temura Morrison finds a woman with a trident on his beach and takes her in. Nicole Kidman is the woman and she's the queen of the under sea kingdom of Atlantis and she's running away from all that. The two fall in love and have a kid who grows up to be Jason Momoa.

But before that some Atlantian warriors show up and try to kidnap Kidman. They're all killed, but Kidman decides to go back lest more come and harm her son.

One would have to be blind not to miss the parallels between the story of the Sword And The Stone and Aquaman. Momoa's earth name is Arthur Curry for that matter. Now all grown up and quite fit and cut he's summoned to Atlantis to claim the crown. But first he has to find a magical trident stuck in a rock somewhere in the sea. Can it get plainer than that.

Aquaman also has a surface enemy in the son of a pirate whose father he killed when they were capturing a submarine.

I did like the computer graphic special effects.used and loved the fantasy sea world that was created.

I can hardly wait for the sequel.
Indifferent
Leofwine_draca12 January 2020
AQUAMAN is the latest superhero blockbuster from DC Comics and a surprisingly lacklustre affair. It's not particularly awful, it's just that I felt indifferent towards it, particularly with a hackneyed storyline that goes through all of the motions without ever offering much in the way of originality or innovation. Jason Momoa is a likeable presence as the big bear-like hero of the piece, but the undersea kingdom material feels more than a little silly and it doesn't help that established stars like Willem Dafoe, Patrick Wilson and Dolph Lundgren all look ridiculous in their costumes. An inflated running time and juvenile script had me feeling like this was a NEMO sequel at times, and it all ends in a climax that just goes for CGI effect after CGI effect, ad nauseum. Try harder, guys...
5 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
CGI extravaganza
SnoopyStyle8 March 2019
In 1985, lighthouse keeper Tom Curry rescues a woman from the stormy sea. She's Atlanna (Nicole Kidman), The Queen of Atlantis. They have a son together named Arthur. In order to keep him safe, she leaves them for Atlantis where she is forced to marry another. Her advisor Vulko (Willem Dafoe) is tasked to train Arthur. In the present, Arthur is Aquaman (Jason Momoa), a Justice League hero. In rescuing a Russian sub, he leaves a pirate to his death giving his son David Kane reason to seek revenge as Black Manta. Mera (Amber Heard) informs Arthur about an impending invasion by Atlantian forces led by Orm (Patrick Wilson). Orm is Arthur's younger half-brother. Atlanna has been executed to the creatures of the Trench. As the eldest son of Atlanna, Arthur has more claim to the throne.

Director James Wan delivers a CGI extravaganza. The level of difficulty is high and he mostly clears it. I would have liked more space for some of the scenes to breathe. The movie is like a freight train without brakes. I need more moments in first gear to admire the sceneries and enjoy the humor. The pee joke is funny. The movie needs some calmer scenes to build good chemistry and do character work. I love the crazy war-crabs but it's sensory overload. The first speed bump occurs when Aquaman challenges Orm to a fight in the Thunderdome. It would have been more reasonable for Mera to bring Arthur to her father only to be ambushed by a double-crossing Orm. It would serve the same purpose without doing a big coliseum gladiator fight. It would also make Orm more underhanded evil. As for the creatures from The Trench, I would have preferred diplomacy instead of another fight. I expected a smarter twist where the monsters turn out to be intelligent. This is a good rebound from the lows of the DCEU although I hope the franchise can do more character work and less CGI fights. There is too much of a good thing.
3 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Jason Momoa
Kirpianuscus8 February 2019
He was, in my case, the basic motif for see the film. I am too old for super heroes of American pop culture and the only desire about DC films is to convince me. In this case, the result is satisfactory. Because ...Jason Momoa. Sure, CGI, old cliches, the trident and the wise guide, the beautiful girl and the terrible enemy. But, except the effort of Momoa to sustain in honorable way his character, nothing new. Sure, it is a simple, dynamic, cool film for fans and young public. And it works. But the too familiar "it could be better" remains present at the end. Not exactly as accusation, but as a form of nostalgia about old fashion fantasy - action films. Sure, it is heroic and propose a high noble, powerful hero. But something is missing. What ? Maybe, in essence, the answer has no significance.
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
My Father Was The Keeper Of The Eddystone Light
boblipton28 November 2020
More than half a century ago, I was a Marvel comics fan during the Silver Age. One of the reasons I enjoyed them was the fact that amidst the planet-eating villains, there were superheroes with some human problems. Stan Lee may not have been the great writer he had once hoped to be, but he infused his characters with issues that at least symbolically attacked reality. Thus, the Fantastic Four dealt with family issues, the Hulk with anger management, and Peter Parker had all the problems of a teenager except acne.

The DC extended universe, to give it its formal name, under the influence of Zack Snyder, seems to have concentrated on angst. While this has its uses, anger in its various forms does not lead to good solutions; for an audience of teenagers, this might work, but these comic-book movies appeal to alte kokkes like me, too. Thus the recent success of SHAZAM: some jokes, some nice symbolism, some reference to things that showed up in the comics when I was a kid.

I did not see AQUAMAN in a theater. I had grown tired of the standard DC movie, but waited until it showed up on my TV. I regret this mildly. It is visually opulent, with the underseas segments beautifully decorated, lit and shot. clearly they would have shown well on a big screen. However, for much of it it consisted of men and women in costumes that would baffle a Halloween parade, slamming each other against hard surfaces and reacting less than I would stubbing a toe. If you cut me, do I not bleed? Yes I do. Not these fellows. Others may cheer these events, but for me, risk and reward must be balanced.

Well, I've seen it now, and it's certainly watchable, if you like to watch these things, with the sort of cast that only sackloads of money can buy. But I won't be looking at it again.
2 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A Great Adventure
claudio_carvalho31 March 2019
"Aquaman" is a great adventure of Marvel, with Jason Momoa in the lead role and directed by James Wan. The film works and is supported by great cast and special effects. James Wan shifts from horror genre and makes a good adventure film. Names such as Willem Dafoe, Patrick Wilson, Nicole Kidman and Dolph Lundgren support this great production with the gorgeous Amber Heard. Looking forward for the sequel. My vote is eight.

Title (Brazil): "Aquaman"
15 out of 28 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
King Arthur
Prismark1025 January 2019
DC have learned to make their films bold, brash and colourful. Audiences do not want dark, moody superheroes. It might work on the Dark Knight but we want Superman to be well super.

Aquaman is enjoyable enough nonsense. It has similarities with Black Panther as well as elements of Thor and King Arthur. It injects fun as long as you do not take it all seriously.

The movie begins with a lighthouse keeper, Tom Curry rescuing Princess Atlanna (Nicole Kidman) from the underwater realm of Atlantis.

Two worlds collide, they fall in love and have a baby boy. Arthur Curry (Jason Momoa) lives with his father in a small fishing coast. His mother was snatched back to Atlantis when he was a child.

Vulko (Willem Dafoe) came from the watery world to mentor and teach Arthur about his heritage and combat skills. Aquaman uses his powers to save people in the land world.

Mera (Amber Heard) tells that Arthur that he must fulfil his right to be the heir to one of the underwater kingdoms of Atlantis, even though he is a half breed. His half brother Orm (Patrick Wilson) is dangerous and plans to destroy the land world.

Orm is in cahoots with Black Manta (Yahya Abdul-Mateen II) who launches a submarine attack on Atlantis, giving Orm an excuse to go to war. Black Manta also has his own reasons to kill Aquaman.

However Aquaman in order to be the rightful king, must find a legendary trident once forged by Poseidon. His sword in the stone.

Jason Momoa is a limited actor. He is here for his muscles and some light hearted quips. Amber Heard is suitably sexy, Dolph Lundgren has a lot of screen time. Patrick Wilson is not a delicious villain in the mould of Loki.

There are a lot of action scenes, some of it is well realised. James Wan has done a good job in pulling off this film. It is overlong but at least it did not end up in a watery grave.
4 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Does not play well with others.
nogodnomasters29 December 2018
May have plot spoilers.

The film gives us the origins of Aquaman, who talks to fish, sort of like a parseltongue, except for fish and sea mammals which are different, but not in this story. Arthur/Aquaman's (Jason Momoa) first foe is Manta (Yahya Abdul-Mateen II ) and then his half-brother King and then everyone except Amber Heard.

Now Arthur cannot become King until he either pulls the sword from the stone or the lost Trident from King Atlan. This isn't any Trident. It is made will Posiden steel and has a genuine Corinthian leather grip. The script raised some questions. Why is Aquaman desperately hanging on to the edge of a roof when he can jump out of a perfectly good airplane without a parachute? And why would he take a slow-moving fishing boat anywhere? They attempted to make Amber Heard's first time on the surface cute but not clever. Are Atlantians the only sea mammals that never have to breathe air?

I couldn't help but think of Avatar...this needs a 3D IMAX. Superman does not die in the end.

Guide: language was a little salty.
Fluid
kosmasp7 May 2019
Is DC getting their mojo back? Did they lose it? Or was it just the overall power of Marvel that just seemed to squash DC? With James Wan at the helm who got famous with being one of the minds behind the Saw franchise (one of the most important ones that is), there is experience at the helm. And he really brings a lot of humor into it - like the bar scene which goes against what people would expect from that.

But for every scene like that, you also have a scene with one of the movies villains who is so over the top, you would suspect him to be comical (no pun intended), but he is dead serious. Shame for missing out on something that could have been really great. Jason Momoa on the other hand is having a lot of fun. And all the cast is having a lot of fun (maybe even the crazy villain in between takes, definitely not on camera). A lof women (and some men) will love this regardless of story, just being visually "attracted" to it and that is ok. For everyone else, you can have fun with this if you don't overthink it
2 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Enjoyed it lots more then I thought I would have.
Sleepin_Dragon28 December 2018
You can't argue with the fact that Jason Momoa is a total and utter Adonis, he certainly looked the part, even if I didn't think his acting was particularly incredible. I wasn't expecting much, but I actually really enjoyed it, it's not the usual type of film I go in for, but I did enjoy it. I didn't understand why some things were happening, there were odd explosions and random events going on, but who cares, it was all in keeping with this real life cartoon. I preferred the first hour to the latter stages of the movie, but overall I really enjoyed.

Bold, brash, awesome effects, lots going on. Enjoyed. 8/10
10 out of 21 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
"Legend has it that one day... a new king will come."
classicsoncall29 December 2018
The movie is visually impressive, I'll give it that. The underwater battle scene with opposing sides on sea horses and sharks was exceptionally well done. Story wise, though, it was fairly formulaic, and quite honestly, after about the first hour or so, I started getting bored with it. The dialog in particular was rather mundane for such a high profile movie coming out of the DC Comics universe. When Aquaman's (Jason Momoa) response to one of his beleaguered foes, (can't even remember who that was now), was 'Screw you!", I could only groan in embarrassment. This is not what I expected to be coming from the mouth of the future King of Atlantis.

I thought Jason Momoa was a very good choice for the Aquaman role. He has a regal bearing even before his destiny is revealed and I think he's a credit to the DC universe. Maybe it was Amber Heard's brilliantly rendered red hair, but I couldn't warm up to her character as Mera, Aquaman's future queen. The rest of the A-list cast was generally OK, although personally, I don't think Nicole Kidman should come anywhere near super-hero movies based on comic books.

Though my rating of the movie is favorably high, it's all due to the cinematography and capable CGI utilized by the film makers. The after credits sequence sets up the sequel with Black Manta (Yahya Abdul-Mateen II), who didn't impress me this time around as the second tier villain behind King Orm (Patrick Wilson). His look was kind of cheesy and too cartoony for my tastes, perhaps a bad harbinger for the follow up Aquaman flick.

As an aside, I couldn't get over the huge amount of one line reviews this picture has here on IMDb since it came out. They really offer nothing in the way of an individual writer's support or distaste for the movie other than to say they like it or hated it. Could do that in a tweet. I guess that says I'm in favor of going back to the ten line requirement that IMDb used to have.
Aquaman
jboothmillard20 December 2018
We first saw the popular DC Comics character when he joined the team in Justice League, this was the first full-length centred around him, and the sixth entry in the DC Extended Universe, which has been a mixed bag, I hoped for some improvement, directed by James Wan (Saw, Insidious, The Conjuring). Basically in Maine, lighthouse keeper Thomas "Tom" Curry (Temuera Morrison) rescues princess Atlanna (Nicole Kidman) from the underwater nation of Atlantis during a storm. She stays on land, they fall in love and have a son, Arthur (Kaan Guldur and Otis Dhanji), who is born with the power to communicate with marine lifeforms. Atlanna is forced to abandon her family and return to Atlantis, she gives her loyal advisor Nuidis Vulko (Willem Dafoe) the mission to train Arthur. With his guidance, Arthur becomes a skilled warrior but is rejected by the Atlanteans for being a half-breed and ultimately leaves Atlantis behind. One year after Steppenwolf's invasion, Arthur (Jason Momoa) confronts a group of pirates attempting to hijack a nuclear submarine. Their leader, Jesse Kane (Michael Beach), is trapped under rubble during the confrontation, he forces his son David (Yahya Abdul-Mateen II) to leave him behind to drown, David vows revenge against Arthur. David later targets Atlantis at the behest of King Orm (Patrick Wilson), Arthur's younger half-brother and ruler of Atlantis who plans to declare war on the surface. King Nereus of Xebel (Dolph Lundgren) swears allegiance to Orm's cause, but his daughter Mera (Amber Heard), who is betrothed to Orm, refuses to aide them and journeys to the surface to ask Arthur for help, she earns his trust by saving Thomas from a tidal wave sent by Orm. Arthur reluctantly accompanies Mera to a rendezvous with Vulko, he says if he can find the Trident of Atlan, a magic artifact that once belonged to Atlantis' first ruler, he will reclaim his rightful place as king. They are ambushed by Orm's men and Mera and Vulko escape, while Arthur is captured, Orm visits Arthur in captivity and tells him Atlanna was executed for the crime of having a half-breed son, he blames Arthur and the surface for her death. Orm offers Arthur an opportunity to leave forever, but Arthur instead challenges him to a duel in a ring of underwater lava, Orm has the upper hand, but Arthur is rescued by Mera. Together, Arthur and Mera journey to the Sahara Desert to find information about the trident, a holographic message found in a chamber beneath the desert leads them to Sicily, where they retrieve the trident's coordinates. Meanwhile, Orm provides David with Atlantean armour and weaponry and sends him to stop them, he imprisons Vulko after learning of his betrayal, and coerces the remaining kingdoms of Atlantis to pledge allegiance to him and his campaign against the surface. In Sicily, David, now calling himself Black Manta, ambushes Arthur and Mera and injures Arthur before falling off a cliff to his apparent death. Mera nurses Arthur's wounds as they journey to find the trident, she encourages him to embrace his destiny as a hero. Arriving at their destination, Arthur and Mera are attacked by amphibious monsters known as The Trench, they manage to fend them off and enter a wormhole that transports them to an uncharted sea located at the centre of the Earth. They Arthur is shocked to be reunited with Atlanna, she was sacrificed to the Trench for her crimes, but she escaped them and reached the uncharted sea, where she has been stranded ever since. Arthur must face mythical leviathan Karathen (Dame Julie Andrews), who guards the trident, he voices his determination to protect both Atlantis and the surface, proves his worth and is able to reclaim the trident, which grants him control over the seven seas. Arthur, Mera, and Atlanna lead an army of marine creatures in battle against Orm and his followers, it is after learning that Arthur wields the trident and is the true king that the followers renounce their obedience to Orm. Arthur defeats Orm in combat but chooses to spare his half-brother's life, Orm accepts his fate after seeing that Arthur has found and rescued their mother. Atlanna returns to the surface to reunite with Thomas while Arthur ascends to the throne with Mera by his side. During the credits, Black Manta is rescued by Dr. Stephen Shin (Randall Park), he agrees to take the scientist obsessed with finding Atlantis to the underwater kingdom in exchange for his help in his revenge on Arthur. Also starring Ludi Lin as Captain Murk, Graham McTavish as King Atlan, Leigh Whannell as Cargo Pilot, John Rhys-Davies as the voice of the Brine King and Djimon Hounsou as the voice of King Ricou. Momoa does a great job as the charismatic Atlantean prince who has a destiny, Heard is compelling as his sexy red-head sidekick, Wilson is rather stiff as the villain, Kidman is really likeable, and Lundgren does alright as well. I will admit most of the dialogue is cheesy, it is ridiculous at times, and it is perhaps a little too long, but the special effects going underwater and on land are brilliant, and the fast-paced fight and explosive sequences are engaging, it is fun to watch, a worthwhile superhero action adventure. Good!
3 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Water load of fun.
BA_Harrison7 April 2019
Okay, I definitely could have done without the octopus playing the drums, but Aquaman isn't the dud that many claim it to be. It's certainly better than many of DC's dark and dreary superhero movies, a visually impressive treat for the eyes (and I'm not just talking about Amber Heard in her green skintight costume!) and, ignoring a few contrived plot details, a hugely entertaining romp.

Director James Wan has created a DC movie that, for once, looks and feels like a comic-book come to life, with jaw-dropping production design and dazzling neon coloured imagery that is breathtakingly beautiful. The story is clichéd baddies versus goodies nonsense, but I think that's the point: this is intended to be brainless fun without all the emotional intensity and gloominess that made Nolan's Batman films such a bore. It's got Willem Dafoe riding a shark, for Christ's sake - it's not meant to be taken seriously.

Jason Momoa plays Arthur, son of a lighthouse keeper (Temuera Morrison) and the Queen of Atlantis (Nicole Kidman). When he grows up, Arthur is convinced by stunning redhead Atlantean Mera (Heard) to claim his rightful place as king of Atlantis in order to prevent a battle between the sea folk and the land dwellers. Unfortunately, his half brother Orm (Patrick Wilson) is intent on war...

At almost two and a half hours long, this could have easily run out of steam, but Wan keeps things moving at a lick, introducing more and more bonkers action, building to a climactic war between an army of talking crustaceans and the shark-riding Atlanteans, with Momoa joining in the fun atop a massive monster from the depths. Oh, and Nicole Kidman spends twenty years in Jurassic Park at the centre of the Earth! It's all so gloriously daft, and so stunningly rendered that I couldn't help but enjoy myself.

The film does overstep the mark occasionally, with some the humour falling flat, and I struggle to believe that a) Aquaman and Mera would bring a seemingly insignificant bottle with them to Sicily, and b) the statue designed to hold the bottle is conveniently still standing intact in the same place after thousands of years, but these are minor niggles in a movie that hits more than it misses.

7.5/10, rounded up to 8 for scorching redhead Heard.
3 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Another Arthur seeks to become King, this time it is a Trident he must obtain.
TxMike19 May 2019
This is a good popcorn movie, but I watched it at home on BluRay from my public library. It has a lot of very deep bass in many scenes and often rattled the glass doors covering the fireplace.

The star is Jason Momoa as Arthur, the product of a union between a lighthouse operator and a mysterious injured woman from the sea. He is destined to become Aquaman. Momoa has the looks and at 6'-4" has the stature to be legitimate in that role.

His nemesis becomes Patrick Wilson as the underwater King Orm, the half-brother of Arthur. Their mother is Nicole Kidman as Atlanna. Each very effective in their roles. The general thrust of the story is Orm is unhappy with how humanity has been treating the world, both above and below the waves, and wants to conquer all to make things right. Arthur, being of both ancestries, seeks to instead promote cooperation. So naturally a mighty battle settles that issue.

The computer graphics and special effects are really great, but for my tastes there is just too much frantic battles and destruction in the scenes leading up to the conclusion. I most enjoyed the first 1/3rd of the movie plus the last couple of scenes.
3 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
This was rather impressive...
paul_haakonsen28 January 2019
Alright, well for starters I must state that I am not one overly keen on watching superhero movies, because they all just seem to follow the same doctrine and blueprint. But I was forced into watching the 2018 DC "Aquaman" movie together with my family.

And it turns out that it was actually a good thing that I was forced to watch it. Because it turned out that "Aquaman" was actually one of the better superhero movies that have been made. Not that I am in anyway familiar with the backstory of the character and haven't read the comic books or anything.

Initially I was a little bit hesitant about the movie, but it turns out that director James Wan actually managed to turn the written material of David Leslie Johnson-McGoldrick, Will Beall and Geoff Johns into something truly entertaining and enjoyable. The movie was driven by a good story, where one quickly and easily got submerged, no pun intended, into the setting and into the ongoings on the screen. Plus it was also a plus that it had some rather interesting characters in it to help it along as well. Needless to say that the CGI and special effects also had a major role in making it a visually astounding and enjoyable movie.

Now, normally I am not much fan of Jason Momoa, but I must admit that he really carried himself formidably in this movie and he really owned up to the responsibility of playing Aquaman - although I have no idea how much pressure would be on him to play that character. But he did it phenomenally in my opinion, regardless. It was of course a treat to see Willem Dafoe in the movie, despite it being somewhat disturbing and unsettling to see him made young and vigorous. Patrick Wilson actually was so well-cast for the role he had in the movie, and he brought so much grace, charm and wits to that dark character. I had initially not thought he would be up to the task, but he proved me so wrong. Then you have the likes of Nicole Kidman and Dolph Lundgren whom also actually were fun to watch in the movie, despite them not having an abundance of screen time.

The pacing to the movie was fast and upbeat, and the movie kicked off into a high octane speed right from the very beginning and it never really slowed down. Which was a very impressive accomplishment in my opinion, and it really made the movie all the more intense and enjoyable to sit through.

As for the special effects and CGI. Well, there is just really just a single word necessary to summarize the entire movie. And that word is: wow! Are you kidding me, this movie takes you in for a tour de force and really showcases some rather impressive feats and accomplishments in the visual department and also in the audio department. Prepare to be blown away.

With that being said, the movie is not at all flawless. Personally I found it a bitter pill to swallow the whole thing about the Secret Sea and what was going on there. It was just too far out there for my liking. And also the fact that all the marvelous, magnificent, malignant and spectacular aquatic creatures, vehicles and settlements have remained from the humans living on the surface is just beyond me. It makes absolutely no sense at all.

Now, I was praising the CGI and visual effects just before. There were some scenes when we have the characters floating around and supposed to be appearing as if they are submerged and underwater, it just came off as being ridiculously fake to look at. That was a shame, because the rest of the 95% of special effects and CGI in the movie was just spot on.

If you enjoy superhero movies. Wait, let me rephrase that. Even if you have no particular interest in superhero movies, then you should actually take the time to sit down and watch the 2018 "Aquaman" movie. It is definitely well worth the time, effort and money.
4 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Aquaman was quite a thrilling DC superhero movie!
tavm17 January 2019
I first knew of Aquaman as a kid of the '70s when watching him in the animated series "Superfriends" when he was teamed with his more-established mates of Superman, Wonder Woman, and the team of Batman & Robin. There, he was clean shaven and had blond hair. He was also bland as were the other heroes considering they were on Saturday morning which were mostly kid shows at the time. Here, he has a beard and has much darker hair. He also has something of an attitude which is refreshing to see! But he's very much the good guy and he has many great adventures here. Jason Momoa is aces in the role and it's also nice seeing that guy who was Green Goblin in the Tobey Maguire Spider-Man film (Willem Dafoe) play someone more sympathetic here. In summary, Aquaman has such a fine story and great action set pieces, that I heartily recommend it!
6 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Entertaining, but a little too much negativity
Gordon-1120 December 2018
This film tells the story of a half breed son of the Queen of Atlantis, who is forced to fight for the throne.

The visuals are spectacular, and the number of famous faces also adds to the entrainment value. However, I find the story a little too focused on negative stuff. It doesn't offer much hope, love or positive vibes in general. It is also very much anchored to fantasy, and it feels very detached from life. I guess that's why I prefer marvel films.
1 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Intense
bevo-1367829 March 2020
I like the bit with the really big wave and the ships.
7 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
BUSY...EYE-POPPING...CGI SATURATED...COMIC-BOOK EXTRAVAGANZA
LeonLouisRicci31 August 2021
Aquaman

"Aquaman's Under-Water Bio-luminescent Water-Scape is as Busy, as well, it's Director James Wan.

His Indefatigable Effort in Bringing a Never-Before-Trip to the Depths of the Ocean,

Where the Sunken Atlantis Thrives with its Inherent Technological Expertise is on Full-Display..

And What a Display it is.

Defying Knee-Jerk Critics and Fanboys to Utter "Seen-it-all-Before".

Truth is, this is a World of Wonder that can Make the Best Theme-Park Envious.

There is a Line-to-Cross when Filling the Frame with Eye-Candy,

so Readily Available in the Mega-Budget of Super-Hero Movies and Wan Doesn't Step Over the Line,

He Dives Over-the-Line with the Confidence of an Olympian.

So Confident and Sure that what He has in Store for Thrill-Seeking Fans,

will Embrace the Comic-Book Come to Life that is the Visual Treat that "Aquaman" has to Offer.

What it Offers in Abundance is the Sense of "Artistic Vision" that is Central to "Reading" a Comic.

You are Transported to Another World, Another Reality where "Logic and Proportion" is Turned on its Head as You Descend Down the "Rabbit Hole".

That's the Appeal of Comics.

The "Stars" are Secondary. The Heroes They Play are Characters that Are Our Friends that Accompany Us on Our Journey.

Jason Mamoa as "Aquaman" is an Undiscriminating Power that Embraces the Inhabitants of Both "Surf and Turf'',

Like All Humble Heroes, He Reluctantly Tries to "Save the Day" for the Benefit of All.

Stay Tuned for the Sequel, and See if We Are Worth Saving.
13 out of 29 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not a sign of Patrick Duffy...
CinemaSerf8 August 2020
Nicole Kidman is "Queen Atlanna" who, determined to escape from an arranged marriage, flees her kingdom and is washed up on the rocks where she is found by the lighthouse keeper "Tom" (Temuera Morrison) and they hit it off. After the Atlantians discover her whereabouts, she decides it's safer to return home than to expose her new family to more risk - vowing to return when it is safe. Skip on a few years and their son (Jason Momoa), who has considerable aquatic abilities is drawn into a battle where his half-brother "King Orm" (Patrick Wilson) is bent on reeking revenge upon the people (i.e. us) who live on the surface and who dump all their junk into the oceans. After losing a duel to the ambitious king he, and "Princess Mera" (Amber Heard) must track down an all-powerful trident that might manage to unite all Atlantians and avert this terrible war. I have to say it's a terrifically good looking film - the computer imagery folks have worked wonders with the colours, light and visual effects - including an incredibly powerful steam iron gizmo that can zap an entire mountain - but otherwise it's all a pretty derivative fantasy action adventure with precious little to recommend or distinguish it. Momoa has all the charisma of a wet lettuce, Heard and Wilson spend far too long on some seriously long, overly theatrical combat scenes that are clearly meant to imply they are floating (rather than swinging from a wire in front of a green screen) and Willem Dafoe looks like, well, a fish out of water. Way, way too long too.
1 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Your usual style-over-substance comic book movie
grantss12 May 2020
Your usual style-over-substance comic book movie. Flimsy plot, really just a vehicle to move you from one action scene to another. Formulaic and cliched: change the characters and settings and you've got pretty much the story of every comic book superhero. Good CGI, but that's a given nowadays.
2 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Next time you thoughtlessly toss a plastic drinking straw . . .
oscaralbert27 December 2018
. . . it might prove to be the straw that breaks the Kraken's back, the always eponymous Warner Bros. warn the World with AQUAMAN. For many decades Warner's prophetic prognosticators have warned Earthlings about their upcoming Calamities, Catastrophes, Cataclysms, and Apocalypti. AQUAMAN is one of Warner's most urgent such warnings in the History of Time, as it deals with "the Wrath of the Seven Seas" being unleashed upon you land lubbers. Warner's clairvoyant seers predict Dire Consequences if you insist upon bagging your groceries with disposable sacks or gulping your fluids from plastic water bottles and Styrofoam coffee cups. Cigarette butts, loose beer can tabs, indestructible six-pack rings, medical waste, worn-out vehicle tires, rusty shipping containers, and "moth-balled" fleets are among some of the most egregious environmental excesses sure to draw Poseidon's Wrath, AQUAMAN cautions. You can keep denying Global Warming and Ocean Pollution till you're blue in the face. Just remember that finding a replacement Earth will be like looking for a straw in a haystack!
3 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Dives in head first but doesn't go off the deep end
TBJCSKCNRRQTreviews16 December 2018
While Arthur(Momoa, charming) has known since childhood that he is Prince of Atlantis, he's been reluctant to claim the title and has instead stayed on land. However, when his half-brother Orm(Wilson, really committing to the role) threatens war on the surface world, which could kill millions of people, he has to embrace his nature. The only way for him to succeed is to work with Mera(Heard, her cynicism a cover for a sweetness and willingness to sacrifice herself), despite not getting along with each other, and neither of them having faith in him.

This is entirely unashamed of itself. It is proudly and decisively going all out. I'm not going to claim that everyone who criticised it either "don't get it" or don't at all have a point that its tone vacillates awkwardly between different ones, such as Lord of the Rings epic and cartoony comic book. Your mileage may vary. For me, it grabbed me from frame one and I was with it all the way through. It's so infectiously in love with its world, which really is unlike anything seen recently in movies from Marvel or DC. I'm not sure of when there last was a picture like this that didn't get a lot wrong. There is a lot of mythology at play here. Thought this was about a single nation of the Sea? Wrong. There are seven. Those clips of a massive battle in the trailers? It's freaking amazing. And I would have to strongly disagree with those who say it goes on for too long. This has the best action scenes I've seen since Infinity War(no, course it doesn't top that, how could it possibly?). They are easy to follow, the camera moves to take in the scope and keep the energy up, they are varied and distinct from each other, and they take advantage of the cool concepts at play here: dozens, maybe a hundred, underwater creatures utilised for transport and attack, as well as plasma guns and other futuristic tech. Although this film doesn't top Wonder Woman in every way, it's definitely in the top two. Warner Brothers: put as much of this franchise in the hands of Patty Jenkins and James Wan, and the DCEU will thrive.

There is a lot of sci-fi violence, some disturbing content, and a little strong language in this. I recommend this to anyone who likes superheroes. 8/10
5 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The whole movie felt loud and relentless and so long
AlsExGal5 January 2019
There was embarrassing writing, embarrassing acting, and listening to Amber Heard trying to deliver this terrible dialogue with zero inflection was exhausting. Why does half of the population of Atlantis sound like they're from California? The dialogue was never more than cliche with a predictable plot. The "advanced ancient civilization hidden away from the world" trope is already old. There was so much CGI that none of the action ever felt impressive or tense or real. Any time someone said "Ocean Master" with a straight face I wanted to laugh.

This would've been the perfect movie to not take itself too seriously, go for a more lighthearted and irreverent tone like Thor Ragnarok, but they just try so hard. It has none of the superhero charm that Marvel manages to carry over from the comics and thus you have one very long boring slog.

How many scenes did we need where a quiet moment was interrupted by an exploding wall that didn't hurt anybody? I counted three or four. Also, that paint-by-numbers forced romance - "Wow there was a surprise and now we're accidentally holding hands", "Wow there was an explosion or something and I grabbed you " - give me a break. And whoever put together the soundtrack for this film should be summarily executed.
13 out of 22 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
a swim through comic book mythology
ferguson-614 December 2018
Greetings again from the darkness. Were the TV series "Entourage" still on the air, they would now need a new recurring punchline. The AQUAMAN movie is real! At the helm, we are surprised to find the master of horror, James Wan, in the director's seat. Mr. Wan is known for such genre flicks as SAW, INSIDIOUS, and THE CONJURING, and his talent for visuals transfers well to the comic book style. In fact, with a run time of almost 2 ½ hours, the visual effects are both exhilarating and exhausting.

Sure, we've seen short bursts of Jason Momoa as Aquaman in a couple of previous DC movies, but this time he owns the pool. Momoa plays Arthur Curry as a hunky beer-chugging rock and roll party dude who just happens to talk to fish and breathe underwater. Since it's the first Aquaman movie, writers David Leslie Johnson-McGoldrick (ORPHAN) and Will Beall (GANGSTER SQUAD) provide us the backstory.

On the coast of Maine in 1985, a lighthouse attendant named Tom Curry (played by Temuera Morrison) discovers Princess Atlanna (Nicole Kidman) washed ashore. What follows is a whirlwind romance, the birth of their son Arthur, Nicole snacking on a goldfish, as well as her first kick-ass action fight scene. To protect her son, she agrees to head back to Atlantis where she faces the consequences of birthing a half-breed with a landlubber.

When we first see a grown Arthur - with a classic hair flip - he is thwarting the hijacking of a Russian submarine by Black Manta (Yahya Abdul-Mateen II) and his father (Michael Beach, IF BEALE STREET COULD TALK). Manta is one of the two main villains - the other being Orm (Patrick Wilson), Arthur's war-mongering, power-thirsty half-brother. Sharing a common enemy, Orm enlists Manta and provides a highly-advanced weapon that, for some unfathomable reason, Manta begins (via montage) to 'Iron-Man' it to another level - one much less stable. It's Orm who gets much more screen time as he plots a massive attack on surface dwellers (humans) who have been destroying the sea for years. You didn't think Hollywood would miss a chance to tell us how despicable we are, did you?

The basic story is that Orm must defeat Aquaman to claim the throne and become Master of the Sea. Of course, Arthur is reluctant to get involved and only does so at the urging of his old mentor Vulko (Willem Dafoe) and Mera (Amber Heard), both of whom wish to avoid a war with humans. The first battle of the would-be kings takes place in The Ring of Fire, a royal battleground missing only the accompaniment of Johnny Cash. The duel ends prematurely, so that an epic battle can later serve as the film's epic climax.

Although director Wan may throw a bit too much 'plot' and action at the proverbial wall, it is interesting to note the history/mythology associated with Atlantis, the ruling class, and the missing trident. The legends are fascinating and the journey takes us to all ends (and depths) of the globe ... from the deepest seas to the middle of the Sahara Desert (itself once a sea) to the incredible core of the Earth. We see the ancient ruins, as well as the high-tech futurama Atlantis ... and it's all stunning to watch.

Don't tell Marvel, but the film is somewhat a blend of BLACK PANTHER and THOR, and Momoa is every bit the Aquaman that Chris Hemsworth is Thor (quite a compliment). Yes, we find out that Atlantis, like our dry land world, is burdened with politics and power-hungry types, but the underwater world and the visual effects keep us mesmerized. We see terrific dragon-like sea horses, a drumming octopus, and a Kraken-like creature supposedly voiced by Julie Andrews (fact or fiction?). There is an early sequence that takes swimming with dolphins to a level you didn't experience on your vacation, and the lighting effects at times recall TRON and can be a bit disorienting.

This is probably the largest scale DC movie to date, and director Wan chooses to make a splash with every element - character, mythology, setting, and effects. We also get appearances from Dolph Lundgren as King Nereus and Randall Park as a TV talking head/oceanographer making the case that Atlantis is real and a threat. We even get Roy Orbison singing "She's a Mystery to Me", and the IMAX aspect ratio makes the first ever over-the-top underwater spectacle. And what a spectacle it is.