Aquaman (2018) Poster

(2018)

3,858 Reviews
Franchise
brian-toone11 May 2020
And it has nothing to do with the comic books.

Bad and pointless

What is the point of this film? A big beefcake? Because that's literally the only storyline this mess has going for it. Pointless characters, horrible CGI for this modern time, bad acting, I could continue. If I had went to the theater to see this, I would be trying to get my money back. I gave it a 3 only because of the nostalgia I have for Aquaman. That's all that is good about this excuse of an action/family film.
49 out of 62 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Is it just me?
shopping-277-11214817 December 2018
What's with the 10 out of 10 reviews? really?. Sure it's probably the best (or second best) DC Justice league era, but that's not difficult. Like all the other offerings, it's overblown, wooden, one dimensional and over reliant on over the top CGI. As a child I was always a DC fan and I want them more than anything to bring this thing together, but Marvel have certainly laid down a tough marker for how it should be and DC still haven't met that challenge. The main thing missing from the film is charm and simplicity, sure Momoa just about saves the day and I think he can develop Aquaman into a loved character, and the film is a step in the right direction. But 10 out of 10 it most certainly isn't.
1,675 out of 2,471 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A tattooed hillbilly
Seb-Alexander3 April 2020
I hate this story, but I just also learned of the things what the actress has done,I was so disappointed. Although she has done something wrong, I just wanna to say that the movie is pretty bad on its own and I hate the song especially Everything I Need. Also,the fight scenes are very boring ,just like real people fighting in front of you.The actors and director are the pits. I need another glass of wine.
84 out of 114 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
More cheese than I can handle
Jack_C_15 January 2019
If you are a preteen, the story may work for you. If you have any common sense, the bad dialogue and blatant rip off of every sci-fi and fantasy movie cliche will drive you crazy.

Special effects are decent, and the story moves along at a decent pace. Momoa carries the film despite being surrounded by one dimensional characters with digitally botoxed faces. I would never watch this movie again.
947 out of 1,410 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Was the director JJ Abrams?
Aaron-harlow25 April 2020
It was that bad.

Total character assassination and a complete lack of understanding of what Aquaman is all about.
50 out of 66 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Every superhero movie cliche you can imagine
McLovin442016 December 2018
I have no idea why somebody would give this movie a good score, let alone 10. After 20 minutes I have decided that its for the best to switch my brain off and enjoy the show. But damn this movie is way too dumb. Character development is rushed and is given in a form of cringy and weak dialogues. Jokes feel like they are just out of place, but specific moments are created just for them to happen (which makes it even more ridiculous). There are some really stunning shots, but its more of an exception rather than the rule. But the main issue, which makes this movie unwatchable without at least 4 cans of beer, is the fact that its linear as hell, there are 0 unpredictable plot twists, from the beginning of the movie (or even from trailers) you for sure know how its going to end. Also the mood is unbelievably inconsistent, at some points characters are dead serious, while in 2 minutes they may be cracking jokes. Its not as bad as in Justice League, but black manta just looks pathetic with his constanty frowny or angry face. WB, u evil corporate idiots, stop ruining your movies by trying to be like Marvel and making movies based on a formula which clearly doesn't work. It just looks like a parody and not a well done one.
1,691 out of 2,585 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
If you have read the comics or watched the cartoons..
drapersukhman9 August 2019
.. Aquaman is quite classy and smart.

Here he is a thuggish beefcake that talks trash and spends his time topless on the beach.

No wonder humanity is in decline. Industrial pollutants??
158 out of 232 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not An Aquaman Film At All
ellisalias13 July 2019
Has anyone read the Aquaman comics? Does anyone know Aquaman's story? Does anyone care for Aquaman?

This film is the story of a weird tattooed trash amphibian thug who speaks like a hoodlum and who, for some reason, gets trained on the beach with his top off. It is like the trashy beefcake anti-hero of 21st century or something.

what rubbish.
262 out of 396 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
If Aquaman actually swam
dotard-does-stormy18 March 2020
He would be fit and a lot more slim than the impostor in this film.

By the way, what's up with sound being transmitted underwater like that? Is Rian Johnson dropping bombs in space like The Last Jedi again?
82 out of 117 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Now we know it was Aquaman in the boat with Moana!
ypejeq26 December 2019
Now that this mystery has been resolved I have no interest in this film.

It was boring and cliched. The main actor is probably another of those MMA meat heads with brain damage (if there were any brains to begin with) and the story defies physics.

Poor (true) Aquaman!
116 out of 170 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The most overrated generic superhero film you'll ever see
borismk-389426 January 2019
I don't know where the hype for this film comes from, because it can't be from the content. The dialogue and characters in this movie are often ridiculous in the least entertaining way possible. Silly can be entertaining, but it can also just feel stupid. The female characters only seem to exist to be Aquaman's conscience (because he can't think for himself, as he's boring), they have no flaws or vices (in other words no depth). The villain is a cheap charicature of the warmonger, with a few poorly expressed environmental ideas thrown into his perspective. The good points of this film fall mostly on the visuals. It is a stunning film in terms of the undersea beauty portrayed, a literal riot of colour across the screen. I would also say that action is pretty positive, the combat is intense and epic. Overral though, I wouldn't reccomend
889 out of 1,404 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
He is not the son of royalty
jicewdoy13 February 2020
Absolutely not.

He looks like a mob contractor who bangs heads not someone who dishes out wisdom and justice, which is the true traits of Aquaman.
103 out of 154 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
They Got It All Wrong
tvxeqw15 June 2020
Look at the so-called Aquaman in this movie. Does he look like a prince to you? His mother was a queen?? Not at all. I am not sure why they strayed so far from the Aquaman we all like and love.I guess the main actor looks like a bouncer or something so the loutish market can see him and like this film. People who do not know Aquaman (comics or cartoons) may like it however. I dont know.
27 out of 36 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Who Decided To make Aquaman Lowbrow?
szouopj14 December 2019
He looks like the kind of urban thug who shops at Wal-mart?

Yikes.
119 out of 181 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Crude
mysterarrow3 May 2019
Some trashy tattooed thug who looks like he is even more gross than the Rock trash talks and speaks rudely and crudely all over the place and they want us to believe he is the son of a queen and royalty. No wonder the movie included rap 'music.' Anyone who has read an Aquaman comic book will shake his head in sadness.
209 out of 334 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Aquaman vs powwerrangers, starwars, godzilla and many others, on steroids
ekleins17 January 2019
C'mon, 10/10 seriously? the director used every action figure/action movie ever created to fight with or against Aquaman, splashing on testosterone. The Atlantis guards are Power Rangers, the underwater fighter jets are from Star Wars, the battle with other underwater kingdoms looks like a battle from the Lord of the Rings, some personages are a version of the Street Sharks, even Godzila had a resurrection moment!. Do you remember the Disney's the Sword in the Stone? even the guy name is Arthur! Did you spotted the dinosaurs at Jurasic Park? I only missed a Smeagol-like scene with the trident... my prrrrecioussss.

Ah, and a very funny scene is watching Aquaman trying not to fall (and looking very scared) from the roof of one house in Sicily (two stories high) , when he'd just jumped from a plane thousand meters high with no parachute in the desert.

But Nicole Kidman was beautiful as always.
587 out of 973 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
It's A Thugs Life
vwjbrkgq5 April 2020
Who cast this guy? I bet he is a WWE or MMA loser with the brain damage that goes with it.

How pathetic.

No wonder the film repelled me. Aquaman is an arbiter of justice not a Duck Dynasty extra.
70 out of 105 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Yup it's laugh-out-loud bad
hhelper-829357 April 2020
When we saw it in the theatre we were literally laughing at it. It's so bad you can't help it. When will they stop making these?
55 out of 81 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I like the leading actresses
anneyiyu19 May 2020
I think she is very good-looking, yes, I am such a shallow person
39 out of 56 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Everything But The Kitchen Sink
gogoschka-126 January 2019
Everything I saw, read and heard about 'Aquaman' before it came out had me convinced it wouldn't be my cup of tea. My impression was that this would be yet another bloated studio tentpole with cheesy dialog, a generic story and artificial looking CGI. However, once it opened, a passionate film fan I respect a lot started spreading so much obviously genuine enthusiasm for the movie that I eventually got over myself and watched it.

I think it was the moment when Nicole Kidman swallowed a goldfish that I started to suspect I might actually enjoy this movie. That suspicion, however, turned out to be wrong, because I didn't just enjoy it: I ended up ADORING it. The weirdest thing: the film DID contain all those elements I had feared - and yet none of that seemed to matter. It just works. It shouldn't, but it somehow does, which is why I've since come to the conclusion that director James Wan is some sort of genius wizard filmmaker. Don't let the generic superhero tropes and cheesy dialog fool you into thinking this was a typical mainstream movie (though I DO suspect those things managed to fool the studio executives into thinking exactly that: which is probably how James Wan got away with it), because in truth, this is the least generic, most bonkers big budget studio flick I've seen in ages. It's the film 'Valerian' wants to be. It's crazy; it's over-the-top; it's beautifully designed with incredible attention to every little detail in every frame; it doesn't take itself seriously for a second, and yet it fully commits to - and loves - its characters and the world they inhabit.

I was awed, literally awed by the design of the Atlantian society and technology; the worldbuilding and visuals are so distinct and original - which caught me completely off guard, because I didn't expect that in a 200 million studio picture for the masses. When the music score went into full synthesizer mode as "Aquabro" and Mera arrive on the collapsed bridge leading to the underwater city, and the screen virtually explodes with the most colorful creatures and underwater vehicles imaginable, I had a stupid grin on my face out of pure joy and adoration for this stunning display of artistic vision (the stupid grin stayed on my face for the remainder of the movie). And the film didn't let up. 'Aquaman' never loses steam; there's no weak third act (at least in my opinion); the wondrous discoveries and beautiful, unexpected designs and creatures keep coming until the very end. Although it has a very different tone, I was actually reminded of watching 'LOTR: The Return of the King' for the first time.

It's true, 'Aquaman' delivers the typical, clichéd, cheesy superhero tropes in spades, but those generic story beats - some of which were probably demanded by the studio - seem to be all surface; they're not what James Wan (or his characters) are really interested in. It almost seems to me that the director only used those tropes as camouflage to sneak in nods to every film of every genre he ever loved and get really creative with the worldbuilding. His biggest accomplishment, however - the film's greatest strength - is something that only few blockbusters ever achieve: he successfully combines a genuine sense of wonder and awe with complete, unabashed fun.

So, to sum up this review: against my expectations, the superhero film I least expected to like managed to do what not a single superhero movie so far had done for me; it filled me with an urge to immediately see it again, because I was so in love with its bonkers, "everything-but-the-kitchen-sink" approach to filmmaking. Naturally, I now hope James Wan will also direct 'Aquaman 2', as I'm sure if given the chance, next time not even the kitchen sink will be safe.

P.S. (for new IMDb users): In case you don't know whether to trust this review or not, because you have no idea what my tastes in film are, just click on my username - gogoschka-1 - and you'll see what my favorite movies are.
366 out of 607 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A Love Letter To Full Body Tattoos
journeymirza20 July 2019
Yo momma meets Aquaman meets Justice day. At elast the chick was super thin.
167 out of 271 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Amber Heard RUINS this movie!!!
alexgetsaces9926 March 2020
IF they had someone else playing amber heard's role it would be 10x better!
37 out of 54 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Don't Let Aquaman prepare A Meal For You
lmjjuohs22 February 2020
He's got 'tats'. Yeah, he is 'inked.'

Hepatitis C Alert!

And the oceans are polluted and won't help either. Did enjoy the underwater mammals and fish barking and roaring though! NOT!!!
83 out of 131 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Never Trust Anyone Who Call Aquaman A Boring Movie
princeadofo8 December 2018
Finally, DC seems to be moving towards the right direction. I a big fan of superhero movies, not caring whether it Marvel or DC. The movie is very straightforward and you quickly get excited to know what's to come next after the first act. And oh please, the songs used are really good plus the visuals are really good. There are lots of surprisingly good underwater battle scenes and oh my that battle with Black Manta kills it. The main characters are very well explored. The ending could have been done better but it seems that would have made the movie's runtime longer. It's really worth the 2 hours of watching it as the pacing is really good.
1,646 out of 2,935 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I'm so annoyed with the people who reviewed this movie before I saw it!
trevorcarpenter-2821421 December 2018
I checked all these reviews before seeing the movie. "Most Beautifully visualized!!! DC movie... so far". "Better stuff than what MCU offered us for 9 years!". I was SOOO excited! I love all superhero movies, MCU and DCEU. I have been hoping for a good DCEU movie for so long, and have gone to each one hopeful. Wonder Woman was a step in the right direction in my opinion. I saw the reviews for this movie and was so excited to see it. And was subsequently let down, partially because I didn't read into the feud between the two franchises's fans.

Look, this movie should not be reviewed as highly as it is. It has GREAT visual effects and Jason Momoa is actually pretty good. However the rest of the acting and writing is so so so so subpar. I've been reading reviews all morning, about character development, how it is way less cheesy than MCU movies, just the right combination of funny and serious. Every scene feels forced like a formula: have at least one funny joke, one cool visual effect, and one heroic speech about the importance of what we are doing. So repetitive, the entire movie. How is that revolutionary, or better than any other films the DCEU has produced? I blame my disappointment in this movie based on the DC only fans who are just forcing good reviews on this movie based on their hatred of Marvel. Because while I definitely love DC, and I like Marvel sometimes too, I pay $15 at the theatre for a GOOD MOVIE not a BRAND.

I hope my review brings down some of the hype. It is still a pretty good film and OF COURSE I love Aquaman and think that every fan should see the film. But I could have waited until it is cheaper on DVD to watch, because it simply isn't worth it. Please don't let the annoying reviews that praise this film as some above holy savior of the franchise sway you, because it is not that jewel of the DC universe they claim it to be. And if any of those reviewers read this, please, when reviewing movies, leave your anger at the MCU at home so I can not waste money on a film that is by no means, saving the DC franchise. The last thing I wanted was to associate this film with disappointment.

tldr: this film really needed a poorer review because the amount of praise it is receiving is unrealistic, and causing people to get their hopes too high about a mediocre film.
915 out of 1,624 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.